(Topic ID: 78497)

What would cause flipper low power coil to short out?

By vilant

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by vilant
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TAF rebuild 013.jpg
#1 10 years ago

A little history first, when I first bought my TAF the right flipper was always a little weak. I bought a new flipper coil thinking that was the problem. The new coil would blow the fuse after a little bit of playing. Figured they gave me the wrong coil so I put the old one back, because a weak flipper was better than one that blows a fuse (also adjusted it so that helped make it stronger). I just shopped my pin and bought all new flipper re-build kits. First game I played the right flipper immediately blew a fuse (accidentally flip flopped the outside wires). Fixed that, but then if you rapidly and repeatedly or just cradled it (not sure which) hit the button (like my 4 y/o did) it blew again (didn't blow when I was playing). Put new diodes on it cause they're cheap and thought I read somewhere they cause problems. Still blows a fuse. Ohmed the left flipper and I have 4.1 ohms on the high power coil and 155.6 ohms on the low coil. On the right the high is 4.1 ohms and .2 ohms on the low power coil. Obviously the low power coil is shorted out. But here's the thing I still have the replacement coil, tested it, and it too has a shorted out low power coil. So before I buy a new flipper coil what would cause 2 coils to have the low power coil short? (Did flip-flopping the outside wires by accident do it, although I don't remember doing that on the replacement coil). Bad board? How do I test the board to know it's bad? Hoping it's a resistor or something small as compared to replacing a whole board.
Any help or insight is appreciated as I would like my kids to play the pin without constantly tripping a fuse.

#2 10 years ago

Something wrong with the Fliptronics board or wiring. Getting the wires on the coil backwards damaged the board. Start checking transistors on that board for shorts.

#3 10 years ago

Crap, was worried about that. Now for the fun task of locating the bad one on the board. Thanks for getting back to me, I'll let you what I find.

#4 10 years ago

Well you were right bad transistor, 2 of them probably. No need to check, once I pulled the flipper control board it was easy to see.
TAF rebuild 013.jpgTAF rebuild 013.jpg
Wish I could find a flipper control board schematic though. I know Q5 is toast and maybe Q6. They are TIP 102NPN. Looks like they have a heat sink attached too. Are these transistors available or will I need a whole new board?

#5 10 years ago

Tip 102 are available. https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/

Don't forget to get coil wired right, check if coil is bad, and check diodes on the coil.

LTG : )

#6 10 years ago

Miswired the first time by accident, that's what I get for looking a phone pic upside down as compared to just tagging the wires. Low power coil is shorted, so I need to reorder a whole new one. Looks like I have 6 damaged transistors (some could have been pre-existing). 2 types I found on Big daddy, the TIP 102 and TIP 36C. They don't have the NTE 159 ( the little guys in spot Q14 and Q13 on the board). Trying to find them now, I'll check your link first, thanks.

#7 10 years ago

You know what else too, now that I look at board closely all 6 that I mentioned are replacements that someone else did. Makes me wonder if something else is going on or did they just make the same mistake I did?

#8 10 years ago

If anyone has a flipper control board schematic for TAF that shows how it ties in to the power control board and flipper coils it would be appreciated. I have the WPC Addams family schematics but it doesn't jive up with what's on my boards (the manual is 1991 and my machine is 1992 think they made a few changes) and it doesn't show the control board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 1,159.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-would-cause-flipper-low-power-coil-to-short-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.