(Topic ID: 248379)

What would cause a tip102 to explode like this?

By Djshakes

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Djshakes
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190729_215135 (resized).jpg
    20190729_213152 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

Noticed my right gopher on my ngg wasn't dropping. Traced it back to this tip102. Looks like the transistor reads tip120 which may be an issue? I noticed the coils have spade connectors and they were close to the other gopher bracket which may have caused a short and this? I have a new tip102 I'll swap. Just a bit nervous as not sure if this is common or if something will cause it to pop again?
    20190729_213152 (resized).jpg20190729_213152 (resized).jpg20190729_215135 (resized).jpg20190729_215135 (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from Djshakes:

Noticed my right gopher on my ngg wasn't dropping. Traced it back to this tip102. Looks like the transistor reads tip120 which may be an issue? I noticed the coils have spade connectors and they were close to the other gopher bracket which may have caused a short and this? I have a new tip102 I'll swap. Just a bit nervous as not sure if this is common or if something will cause it to pop again?
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Looks like a few resisters at D53 are also cooked which might not help your Tip issue.

#3 4 years ago

Nah - this looks like a typical "magic smoke" failure. The smoke just contaminated the surrounding parts.
    That said; a pre driver or something else could be bad as well. I'd swap the TIP120 first and see if the problem continues.

Yes; if your shorting a lug together with something else; that could be the source of magic smoke. I'd insulate the culprits with heat shrink and/or electrical tape. That said; also check the coil diode... just to make sure it didn't blow open during the magic smoke event.

#4 4 years ago

Thanks, I'll report back tomorrow evening after swap.

#5 4 years ago

Probably the short as you suggest, but to be sure meter the coil resistance as well.

I just had a bad sling coil on a SS and it did exactly this — split the transistor in two.

rd

#6 4 years ago

Metered out fine and works fine when I swap wires from left gopher.

#7 4 years ago

As Zitt said, I would suspect over voltage due to a faulty or poorly soldered diode.

#8 4 years ago

Simple catastrophic failure. Usually caused by a short and overfuse condition.

#9 4 years ago

Swapped the tip102 and good to go.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-would-cause-a-tip102-to-explode-like-this-?hl=djshakes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.