• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

120.jpg
119.jpg
#1 11 years ago

I'm going to look at a F-14 this weekend, but I was wondering what others would be a good first game to get? I fell in love with the F-14 & High Speed in the late 80's.

#2 11 years ago

Hey,

No one's going to knock you for those at all, but those get mentioned in the same breath as Pin*Bot all the time. If you come across any of those three, they're worth a look. All should be priced give or take the same for a decent example; I won't say what a good price is or isn't due to it varying by region.

Luke

#3 11 years ago

lukerp:

I really never liked pinbot. Growing up my friends loved it, just never got into it.

I know what you mean by pricing by region, around here it seems they are as good as gold.
I've thought of going to the midwest to look for one. (Kansas, Nebraska...ect)

Any thoughts on what I should look out for on the F-14?

#4 11 years ago

Hey if you like it and have a sweet spot for a pin buy it.If money is an issue you need to get one you can afford.One pinball that I would like to see you purchase would be STTNG.That would be a great first pinball.I sucks at tech stuff so if you got into a pinball like STTNG be sure you can find a tech to help you out.

#5 11 years ago

I would look for a game that is FULLY working or very close to it. Getting a project game as your first game, can be a lesson in failure haha...

I also think F-14 kinda sucks...but that's just me.

There are many other games from that era that are alot better IMO. ie Whirlwind, Taxi, Pinbot, Swords of Fury, Black Knight 2000, Radical, Diner, Rollergames, etc...

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Whirlwind, Taxi, Pinbot, Swords of Fury, Black Knight 2000, Diner, Radical, Rollergames, etc...

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

I would look for a game that is FULLY working or very close to it.

Look for this...first game isn't a huge jackpot...just learn the craft.

#8 11 years ago

Where should I look to find a decent pin at a decent price?
For example: The F-14 price range has been $3500 - $500.
Ebay seems way high & CL is all over the map.

Found out the Tomcat I was going to look at may need service and is asking $1100.
I'm not looking for a mint unit but one that works when I buy it.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Mutato:

I was wondering what others would be a good first game to get?

I would suggest a Williams System 11 game; go to IPDB to get a list of them.

They are plentiful, easy to work on and not too complicated, but have enough stuff on them to help you get a good schooling on repair, maintenance, how a machine works, the lamp and switch matrices, etc. People here can help you easily if you get stumped.

Besides that they are relatively cheap and some really nice machines too.

Robert

#10 11 years ago

Well the guy seemed to have flaked out on the F-14,
he has not called me back to say if I can come see it.
I Guess time to start looking again.

Anyone in the PNW got a good deal for me?

#11 11 years ago

An EM.

#12 11 years ago

If I had one pinball, and money wasn't the issue;

AFM
MB
SM

All of which unfortunately are high end pins. THe SM is cheapest, and broadly popular, and you'd be sure to get your money out of it.

#13 11 years ago

You should list your budget and post in the marketplace here. You will get a way better price by avoiding Ebay.

If I was trying to stay under 2k, I would get Congo or The Getaway. Both are good pins and fun!

If money is no object then you can get anything. I am with docscott on SM. But then again, so is everyone else so it will be hard to find.

#14 11 years ago

How do you feel about having to working on a pinball machine? I'd steer clean of any older machines if you don't feel comfortable lifting the playfield from time to time. With that said, you only learn how to work on pins if you roll your sleeves up and get into one. I'd go with a Stern for a starter machine, unless you don't mind tinkering.

#15 11 years ago

My first pin is a RoadShow, Some people don't like it. I really enjoy it and it was really cheap compared to most pins. So for me it was afforable to break into the hobby.

I never worked on Pins before, I have had some issues and most of the guys on Pinside are really helpful and gave me a hand fixing it. I must say this is a really great hobby with alot of really nice people.

Problem is now I have the bug and the wife isn't happy when I show her the games I like to get with those prices...lol

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from Rick471:

You should list your budget and post in the marketplace here. You will get a way better price by avoiding Ebay.

I strongly agree.

#17 11 years ago

Finally got a call back from the guy with F-14, going to take a look at it tonight.

#18 11 years ago

Go look at the bank for your buck rankings on this website. Shadow, Doctor Who, SST, etc.

#19 11 years ago

F-14 is a decent system 11 pin, and its on the bang for your buck list here. It was one of my first pins as well. I think the prices on it are climbing slightly, I found the pinside prices to be slightly low in my area for a good working example with lights. Good luck!

#20 11 years ago

Good luck with the pin!

#21 11 years ago

Good luck on the F14!!

#22 11 years ago

Don't pay too much for it if the playfield is hammered, it'll be obvious if there's insert wear on the arrow columns if no mylar was fitted from the factory.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Mutato said:

I was wondering what others would be a good first game to get?
I would suggest a Williams System 11 game; go to IPDB to get a list of them.
They are plentiful, easy to work on and not too complicated, but have enough stuff on them to help you get a good schooling on repair, maintenance, how a machine works, the lamp and switch matrices, etc. People here can help you easily if you get stumped.
Besides that they are relatively cheap and some really nice machines too.
Robert

+1 Yep, system 11 games are the way to go.

#24 11 years ago

Any pin you can afford!!!

#25 11 years ago

Just got back from looking at it.

Things that are wrong with it:

Not adjusted right (testing sucked) angled too much forward. (slow and to the right)
3rd LED score was out.
Dent in side metal casing.
Top lights didn't seem to work.

Good things:
Play field has some wear but nothing that I would say bad.
Sound worked good
flipper seemed strong.

He wants $1100 for it but I was thinking more like $800 - $900.
I'll post a few pics later when I get them off my phone.

#26 11 years ago

Run away.

#27 11 years ago

I was looking at this but they don't give a price.

http://www.pinscore.com/products/pinball-displays/14-williams-f-14-tomcat

Would help in figuring out an offer.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from Mutato:

Things that are wrong with it:

Not adjusted right (testing sucked) angled too much forward. (slow and to the right)
3rd LED score was out.
Dent in side metal casing.
Top lights didn't seem to work.

This is a project pin - fixer upper. For your first pin, you want something that is plug and play. You're jumping in the deep end before you know how to swim. Get something that works and that you can play the day you bring it home. It's all about fun.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from Mutato:

I'm going to look at a F-14 this weekend, but I was wondering what others would be a good first game to get? I fell in love with the F-14 & High Speed in the late 80's.

That's funny. Saw your thread and was going to respond and say f-14 without even seeing what you wrote. That was my first pin. Now, many years and pins later, still one of my favorites. You cant go wrong with that game.

Brian

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

This is a project pin - fixer upper. For your first pin, you want something that is plug and play. You're jumping in the deep end before you know how to swim. Get something that works and that you can play the day you bring it home. It's all about fun.

Even if this is true, I'm not finding much out there. Let me rephrase that, "That I want!".
What would you offer him?

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from mtp78:

My first pin is a roadshow, Some people don't like it. I really enjoy it and it was really cheap compared to most pins. So for me it was afforable to break into the hobby.

I agree. If you can find Road Show for $1,500 to $1,800 in working order, you just got a pin with a lot going on for a very good price. I regret not owning one.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from Mutato:

What would you offer him?

I'd take a deep breath and walk away. Find something you don't have to fix to play. I know that is not what you were hoping to hear. I started with a working pin and am glad I did. Now I can fix most of the things that come up, but I am glad I had a chance to learn slowly. The pins are out there, your first one is a very important purchase. You don't want to have to struggle as you dive into this hobby/obsession. Give yourself a break.

Good luck and welcome!

#33 11 years ago

Any pin is a good first pin.

That being said, you need to qualify yourself as being able to repair these issues or not.

I would think it would be a $700-$750 game(without pics), but that's just me. If you do not like it, or are over your head in being able to repair it, then you can always sell it off.

Patience in finding the perfect game can be trying, but is also worth it in the long run.

LEE

#34 11 years ago

Here are some pics that came out.

It didn't look that bad in person.

119.jpg119.jpg 120.jpg120.jpg

#35 11 years ago

Nah, leave it unless its VERY cheap. Significant insert wear due to lack of mylar, and planking (raised grain - often but not always a result of damp storage)- which means the art will just start to strip away when played a lot.

#36 11 years ago

Mutato, this is not the one. But you'll find it!

#37 11 years ago

Ok, be honest with yourself. Do you like fixing stuff? Are you confident you could figure stuff out? Will you be happy to play it in the condition it is?

If it is the title you want... offer a price you'd be comfortable with but be prepared to walk away. If you're ok with losing a couple hundred bucks if you wind up over your head it might be worth a shot.

Take a look at some prices of repair parts for the problems you see. That display, for example, appears to be in the $200 range (a pinscore one... not sure if there are cheaper).

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from decktard:

Ok, be honest with yourself. Do you like fixing stuff? Are you confident you could figure stuff out? Will you be happy to play it in the condition it is?

If it is the title you want... offer a price you'd be comfortable with but be prepared to walk away. If you're ok with losing a couple hundred bucks if you wind up over your head it might be worth a shot.

Take a look at some prices of repair parts for the problems you see. That display, for example, appears to be in the $200 range (a pinscore one... not sure if there are cheaper).

I work on laptops, Lenovo, SONY, Fujitsu, Toshiba ect. So I'm not really afraid to get dirty just not great at soldering. I've almost convinced myself to just get a NIB AC/DC Pro and be done with it.
If I could find one under 4K w/ free shipping I would.

#39 11 years ago

Fish Tales is a great first pin

#40 11 years ago

A Swords of Fury just popped up on CL. Maybe I'll take a look at that one if he calls me.

#41 11 years ago

Just got my hands on World Cup Soccer 94 as my first pin last week thanks to the advice of this forum and i agree 100% it is an awesome first pin. So much fun and the whole family loves playing.

#42 11 years ago

AC/DC Pro? eep. Not much bang for the buck there. If you're not limited to the $1k range, then in addition to some recs here (STT, RS, etc.) I'd also suggest World Poker Tour. Can probably find one for under $2k fully working, in nice shape. It's fast and flowing like F-14--in fact it's another SR game, with the added bonus of a ton of drop targets and incredibly deep Keith Johnson rules! It won't get old, and appears simple enough for casual players but is really quite a strategig game.

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

Hey if you like it and have a sweet spot for a pin buy it.If money is an issue you need to get one you can afford.One pinball that I would like to see you purchase would be STTNG.That would be a great first pinball.I sucks at tech stuff so if you got into a pinball like STTNG be sure you can find a tech to help you out.

I'm sorry, but STTNG has to quite possibly be the worst first pin imaginable. I don't own one (would love to) but have heard that the upkeep on it is ridiculous, and getting it working 100% for any length of time is a challenge. With the cannons, all the optos, vuks, and to top it all of, it is highly regarded as one of the hardest pins to shop, I could not think of a worse recommendation.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 63.95
4,025 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 25.95
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

4,500 (OBO)
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-would-be-a-good-first-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.