Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 188 posts
  • 117 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 68 days ago by BigalzPinz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210103_164024 (resized).jpg
    3mnukv (resized).jpg
    A98D8A00-22D5-4CBE-90E8-0AE287B87703 (resized).jpeg
    JRF85A7Bcl2YU.gif
    jim-carrey-loser.gif
    jive-turkey-will-ferrell.gif
    8324FBC2-C3D5-4DDE-9EFF-2B19B9837E17 (resized).jpeg
    grammar-good-grammar-is-essential.gif
    noone (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider danqverymuch.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I'll tell you. It is definitely "defiantly."

Now, I realize that it is due to spell checkers (and lazy people) but I searched Pinside and the word "defiantly" appears in 640+ posts, and I gave up trying to find posts where it was not used incorrectly in place of "definitely." I would wager that it is used incorrectly 100 times for every time it is used correctly. That's crazy!

The root word of "defiantly" is "defy," a verb. "Defiant" is an adjective built on that, and "defiantly" is an adverb built on that!

Whereas "definitely" the adverb is based on "definite" the adjective.

Now, cannot everyone see that "definite" is not the same word as "defiant?" It would seem so; when I searched for "defiant" I didn't see anyone using that word incorrectly.

So what's so confusing about adding an "ly" to the correct word?

Again, yes, we have spell check to thank for this phenomenon. Start a word with "defi," goof up the middle, add "ly," and spell check will ever so helpfully suggest "defiantly." Which is great, if that's the word you were after. But, for the love of all that is good and holy, don't accept the suggestion when it isn't!

Running this into the ground, it's probably the misspelling "definatly" that is the main culprit. Swap the "n" and "a" and there's "defiantly," which explains the spell check suggestion. Just remember, there is definitely no "a" in "definitely!"

I'm still astounded that anyone would say "ok, yeah, I meant defiantly" when they didn't!

DE_FI_ ANT_ LY
    DE_ FIN_ ITE_ LY

I guess all I'm asking is for people to pay better attention. Rant over!

#158 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

"use to" instead of the correct "used to" always gets my goat!

I use to deal with the idiots that think the past tense of "use" is "use."

#159 2 years ago

This is all very entertaining, but I have yet to see another word identified that is used incorrectly 100x more than it is used correctly, the way "defiantly" is!

#164 2 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

I believe if you look close you will realize that payed instead of paid is the winner.

Except "payed" isn't a valid word.

I defiantly insist that "defiantly" takes the cake, for the narrow distinction I have invoked. Sorry, the thread title was too general. "... almost always used incorrectly" is what I was after.

Although it does occur to me that using it where you meant to use "definitely" isn't really using the word, it's attempting to use "definitely" and blundering.

I just thought it was interesting how almost every time it appears, the writer means "definitely."

#168 2 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

past tense: payed; past participle: payed

seal (the deck or hull seams of a wooden ship) with pitch or tar to prevent leakage.

An obscure nautical term that practically no one knows? Well, okay. I don't recall ever hearing of it, and I'm relatively well read. But I guess you're technically right in that "payed" shows up more often, about twice as much.

Still, at least "defiantly" is in common parlance. When someone writes "payed," no one thinks "I wonder if they mean they gave money or if they were sealing a hull?"

Also, "paid" and "payed" are homophones, unlike "defiantly" and "definitely."

I'm sure we agree there is no excuse for either error. But in virtually all cases, "payed" is simply a misspelling of "paid," not really a use or misuse of the nautical term. But thanks, I love to learn stuff!

#185 2 years ago
    Quoted from Guidotorpedo:

How about words that don’t exist?
    IRREGARDLESS

Oh, it exists, irregardless of your ire.

It's nonstandard, but people have been saying it for over 200 years.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

ImNotNorm already brought it up in this thread.

I agree it's dumb.

Speaking of "dumb," that's another word we can argue about. Officially it means "unable to speak." Informal North American usage adds a meaning of "stupid." Looking it up, I was surprised that calling a mute person "dumb" is considered offensive. I wonder if that was always the case, or if the conflation with "stupid" has caused this, since simply being unable to speak is not necessarily an indication of low intelligence.

I didn't think the "deaf, dumb and blind boy" from Tommy sounded offensive, and "deaf, mute and blind" doesn't sound right...

#186 2 years ago
    Quoted from king-pin:

The word what!
    Your title should have read-
    Which word is used incorrectly the most.

Bzzzt! Wrong. "Which" is used when choosing among a limited number of predetermined choices.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider danqverymuch.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-word-is-used-incorrectly-the-most?tu=danqverymuch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.