Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 188 posts
  • 117 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 67 days ago by BigalzPinz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210103_164024 (resized).jpg
    3mnukv (resized).jpg
    A98D8A00-22D5-4CBE-90E8-0AE287B87703 (resized).jpeg
    JRF85A7Bcl2YU.gif
    jim-carrey-loser.gif
    jive-turkey-will-ferrell.gif
    8324FBC2-C3D5-4DDE-9EFF-2B19B9837E17 (resized).jpeg
    grammar-good-grammar-is-essential.gif
    noone (resized).jpg
    There are 188 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 2 years ago

'Electrocuted' when what is meant is an electric shock (electrocuted means you DIED).

'off of' should be 'from' in most cases - "he moved off of the couch" - NO, he moved FROM the couch!

'I bought it from eBay' - no you didn't, you bought it from a SELLER ON eBay. Which reminds me:

brought and bought - "I BOUGHT the pinball machine and I BROUGHT it home"

'could care less' - OK, so you actually still do care a little bit then! Correct is "COULDN'T care less" meaning you absolutely don't care even a tiny bit - COULD NOT.

#152 2 years ago

A buck 52 post in 24 ours. This topic blue up!

#153 2 years ago

Shoot the 'centre' target.....no, it's 'center'....ah to hell with it...shoot the middle target.

#154 2 years ago

How about "I", "me", and "myself"? I hear them misused all the time.

- Pinball is really fun for you and I. (WRONG!)
    - Micah, Eric, and me all went to TPF last year. (WRONG!)
    - John and myself like setting high scores. (WRONG!)

BTW, as far as grammar goes I'm old school where you use a comma before the "and" in a list of 3 or more items. I also still use double spaces between sentences (even though html strips the second space in these posts).

#155 2 years ago

"Penultimate" to describe something as the absolute best.

Also peak or peek instead of pique.

The number of adults with such poor written skills used to surprise me. But a lot of the population doesn't comprehend science either so it actually makes sense.

Maybe they're good at math. But I doubt it.

#156 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZooDude:

Heard one today that always gets my goat
    Hot water heater
    If your water is already hot why are you heating it?
    B

Kind of like the redundancy of “ATM machine” or a car’s “VIN number.”

#157 2 years ago
    Quoted from pins4u:

'Electrocuted' when what is meant is an electric shock (electrocuted means you DIED).
    'off of' should be 'from' in most cases - "he moved off of the couch" - NO, he moved FROM the couch!
    'I bought it from eBay' - no you didn't, you bought it from a SELLER ON eBay. Which reminds me:
    brought and bought - "I BOUGHT the pinball machine and I BROUGHT it home"
    'could care less' - OK, so you actually still do care a little bit then! Correct is "COULDN'T care less" meaning you absolutely don't care even a tiny bit - COULD NOT.

This reminds me of how people say “different than” more often than the correct “different from.” The only way former actually works is if describing how one thing varies from a standard more than another thing does, and it would likely be an awkward way of saying that.

#158 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

"use to" instead of the correct "used to" always gets my goat!

I use to deal with the idiots that think the past tense of "use" is "use."

#159 2 years ago

This is all very entertaining, but I have yet to see another word identified that is used incorrectly 100x more than it is used correctly, the way "defiantly" is!

#160 2 years ago

I’m always amazed at how many people are willing to insure things when all they really need to do is ensure them.

#161 2 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

This is all very entertaining, but I have yet to see another word identified that is used incorrectly 100x more than it is used correctly, the way "defiantly" is!

I have yet to see another word that is pronounced incorrectly more than “expecially” is.

#162 2 years ago

I believe if you look close you will realize that payed instead of paid is the winner.

#163 2 years ago

It's a Philly thing, instead of "did you eat", "Jeet"

#164 2 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

I believe if you look close you will realize that payed instead of paid is the winner.

Except "payed" isn't a valid word.

I defiantly insist that "defiantly" takes the cake, for the narrow distinction I have invoked. Sorry, the thread title was too general. "... almost always used incorrectly" is what I was after.

Although it does occur to me that using it where you meant to use "definitely" isn't really using the word, it's attempting to use "definitely" and blundering.

I just thought it was interesting how almost every time it appears, the writer means "definitely."

#165 2 years ago

There’s a special place in hell for people that use the word ‘whilst’

#166 2 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Except "payed" isn't a valid word.
    I defiantly insist that "defiantly" takes the cake, for the narrow distinction I have invoked. Sorry, the thread title was too general. "... almost always used incorrectly" is what I was after.
    Although it does occur to me that using it where you meant to use "definitely" isn't really using the word, it's attempting to use "definitely" and blundering.
    I just thought it was interesting how almost every time it appears, the writer means "definitely."

vous devez faire erreur

pay2

/pā/

verb

NAUTICAL

past tense: payed; past participle: payed

seal (the deck or hull seams of a wooden ship) with pitch or tar to prevent leakage.

"an open groove between the planks had to be payed by running in hot pitch from a special ladle"

#167 2 years ago

Here is the true answer

3mnukv (resized).jpg3mnukv (resized).jpg
    #168 2 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

past tense: payed; past participle: payed

seal (the deck or hull seams of a wooden ship) with pitch or tar to prevent leakage.

An obscure nautical term that practically no one knows? Well, okay. I don't recall ever hearing of it, and I'm relatively well read. But I guess you're technically right in that "payed" shows up more often, about twice as much.

Still, at least "defiantly" is in common parlance. When someone writes "payed," no one thinks "I wonder if they mean they gave money or if they were sealing a hull?"

Also, "paid" and "payed" are homophones, unlike "defiantly" and "definitely."

I'm sure we agree there is no excuse for either error. But in virtually all cases, "payed" is simply a misspelling of "paid," not really a use or misuse of the nautical term. But thanks, I love to learn stuff!

#169 2 years ago

Blow…

#170 2 years ago

"Lighted Flipper Kits"

OMG - how about 'LIT Flipper Kits' or better 'Illuminated Flipper Kits'

#172 2 years ago

i guess the point being is that i enjoyed reading this thread

#173 2 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Irregardless. It's....regardless.

This one has always bugged me for some reason.

iterate and reiterate, seemed to get confused a lot.

#176 2 years ago

I agree. IRRE-MOTHER FUCKING-GARDLESS.

And now they’re adding it to the Thesaurus? Let’s keep submitting to the lowest common denominators of humanity.

I hear that and whatever you say after is Charlie Browns teacher.

#178 2 years ago

Double Negatives really irritate me

#179 2 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Double Negatives really irritate me

In the IT world, I have a similar issue with certain software configuration settings. The other day I was configuring some plugin and you hand to flip a switch to the on position to disable the feature. Why would "on" disable something and "off" enable it?

#180 2 years ago

People saying Monsters Bash instead of Monster Bash. Easy mistake though...

#181 2 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

"Literally" is literally the word most misused.

Or abused…

#182 2 years ago

20210103_164024 (resized).jpg20210103_164024 (resized).jpg
    #184 2 years ago

How about words that don’t exist?

IRREGARDLESS

#185 2 years ago
    Quoted from Guidotorpedo:

How about words that don’t exist?
    IRREGARDLESS

Oh, it exists, irregardless of your ire.

It's nonstandard, but people have been saying it for over 200 years.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

ImNotNorm already brought it up in this thread.

I agree it's dumb.

Speaking of "dumb," that's another word we can argue about. Officially it means "unable to speak." Informal North American usage adds a meaning of "stupid." Looking it up, I was surprised that calling a mute person "dumb" is considered offensive. I wonder if that was always the case, or if the conflation with "stupid" has caused this, since simply being unable to speak is not necessarily an indication of low intelligence.

I didn't think the "deaf, dumb and blind boy" from Tommy sounded offensive, and "deaf, mute and blind" doesn't sound right...

#186 2 years ago
    Quoted from king-pin:

The word what!
    Your title should have read-
    Which word is used incorrectly the most.

Bzzzt! Wrong. "Which" is used when choosing among a limited number of predetermined choices.

2 weeks later
    #187 2 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

The lose and loose thing is everywhere on this sight. I always hear people throw out the word dichotomy way too much to describe things that clearly are not. In sports especially.

Forgot to mention dynamic. That one always is used to describe something that isn’t dynamic. Sports announcers use it when they just mean really good or hard to stop.

2 years later
    #188 67 days ago

Not a word but a phrase....."with that being said" has to be the stupidest phrase Iv'e ever heard. I mean, if youv'e already said it, then why tell everyone that youv'e said it...again

There are 188 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-word-is-used-incorrectly-the-most/page/4?hl=curban and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.