• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

replace reel (resized).jpg
burn reel (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

The person that owned my Big Deal before me put a nail in for a fuse and started a fire on one of the drum units. I am having a used one sent to me to replace. But how am I going to replace these burnt wires? What wire should I use to make extensions? Where to buy? Is there a thread about EM wire replacement?

burn reel (resized).jpgburn reel (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

Can't really tell from the pic if they're burnt thru? Toasted, but not crumbly? I would save anything that seems solid and splice in where necessary.

#3 3 years ago

Just a thought...buy a cheap pinball harness off of an auction site like ebay. You will have all of the correct spare wire you will ever need and there is an excellent chance you will have the correct color coded wire you are replacing.

#4 3 years ago

I can't stress enough how important it is to use the correct color wires for future diagnosis and repair. Unfortunately the correct multicolor wires will be next to impossible to find unless you can find a replacement backbox from the same machine model. In those cases use single color wires with colored electrical tape or even better, small pieces of heat shrink tubing for the 2nd and 3rd colors.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

I can't stress enough how important it is to use the correct color wires for future diagnosis and repair. Unfortunately the correct multicolor wires will be next to impossible to find unless you can find a replacement backbox from the same machine model. In those cases use single color wires with colored electrical tape or even better, small pieces of heat shrink tubing for the 2nd and 3rd colors.

Where do I buy this wire new that matches?

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from SDM0:

Where do I buy this wire new that matches?

You don't need wire that matches all 2 or 3 colors, just a few monocolor spools to match each main wire color. Then match the 2nd (and 3rd) wire colors with small pieces of colored heat shrink tubing.

#7 3 years ago

It would be a good start to identify the specific wire colors that match those originally used in your machine and also the approximate lengths you might need. Someone in the forum just might have the appropriate wire colors in their parts bins or know of a vendor that could supply something close.

You could do that by tracing backwards from the burned sections and/or verifying with the schematic.

3 weeks later
#8 3 years ago

I decided to get a whole replacement part rather than rebuild. I should have enough wire to connect the exact color to color.

Any tips on how to connect the wires? Is there a website that gives a tutorial in connecting EM wires? I also got my heat shrink tubing. These wires are small. Do I simply wrap the wires together and shrink tubing over? Or should I be adding in some solder to hold it/better connect?

replace reel (resized).jpgreplace reel (resized).jpg
1 week later
#9 3 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

You don't need wire that matches all 2 or 3 colors, just a few monocolor spools to match each main wire color. Then match the 2nd (and 3rd) wire colors with small pieces of colored heat shrink tubing.

Any suggestions on how to connect the wires? As they are not rubber covers - how do you best expose EM wires and connect them? Do you just twist the wires together or do you add some solder? I want to do this right and make it last. Is there a website you recommend about connecting EM wires?

#10 3 years ago

Search YouTube for soldering videos.
You’ll want to use a decent sized iron or gun.
A wire stripper makes it easier, although with cloth covered wire you can often push the insulation back enough to give you bear wire.
Use solder with flux in it (rosin core), not plumbing pipe solder.
Remember to slide the shrink sleeve tubing on before you connect the wires, then after you’ve made the connection, slide it over and shrink it with a heat hub or heat from the soldering iron.

You’ll get the hang of it.

Dave

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Baldwinsville, NY
$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-wire-big-deal-fire?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.