hitchcock_(resized).jpg
cooperstown_1.jpg
rob-zombie-and-alice-cooper_1.jpg
alice_1.jpg
spookymulder.jpg
Ray__Ted.jpg
rhposter.jpg
King_of_Tokyo.jpg
There are 175 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 8 years ago

Spooky's next game?
By the time they finished the 300 orders ,its 2020.
How much money it wil take to bild 300 machine's?.

I like the cabinet and backbox graphics awesome......... best i ever have seen.
Compare to a Stern pro, its just as empty, and less inserts.

For me it doesn't look like a jjp or stern quality machine (looks cheap and emty) sorry.

300+ people are happy with it, so lets see wat happens in the future.

I get a lot of shit over me now, but i can take it, its my opinion.

#102 8 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

There is a popular board game called "King of Tokyo" that shows how it could be done with generic monsters.

We have that, great dice game!

#103 8 years ago

Beer Baron The Prohibition Years.

#104 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

Spooky's next game?
How much money it wil take to bild 300 machine's?.
I like the cabinet and backbox graphics awesome......... best i ever have seen.
Compare to a Stern pro, its just as empty, and less inserts.
For me it doesn't look like a jjp or stern quality machine (looks cheap and emty) sorry.
300+ people are happy with it, so lets see wat happens in the future.
I get a lot of shit over me now, but i can take it, its my opinion.

Actually your opinion is factually wrong. (or you are just REALLY bad at math).

Where do you come up with over 3 years to deliver 300 games? They have been making AMH at a rate of 2-3 per week and pretty sure RZ will be happening at 4-6 per week once the new shop is done and production gets rolling.

How much money to build 300 machines... Well does that really matter? Spooky has a model of 1000 deposit and the remainder when your game is done.

Art >> yes, pretty amazing. At least you got one thing correct

Compare to Sternpro (I own a few) it actually has more going on mech wise. I guess if you rate a game based on number of inserts, then you probably wont like RZ. They are adding 3 more inserts to the pf prior to production so maybe that will boost it on your rating scale... lol

I have never had a JJP game, but can compare AMH to other Sterns and the build/manufacturer/assembly (not sure what you want to call it) quality was lower on AMH than Stern but overall we have had much fewer issues with AMH holding up on route than ANY of our new Sterns. I was at Spooky factory last week and the proto RZ has many improvements in design and build quality which makes it much more similar in manufacturing quality (all concerns I had from #1 were satisfied with the improvements on #2) to Stern.

#105 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Actually your opinion is factually wrong. (or you are just REALLY bad at math).
Where do you come up with over 3 years to deliver 300 games? They have been making AMH at a rate of 2-3 per week and pretty sure RZ will be happening at 4-6 per week once the new shop is done and production gets rolling.
How much money to build 300 machines... Well does that really matter? Spooky has a model of 1000 deposit and the remainder when your game is done.
Art >> yes, pretty amazing. At least you got one thing correct
Compare to Sternpro (I own a few) it actually has more going on mech wise. I guess if you rate a game based on number of inserts, then you probably wont like RZ. They are adding 3 more inserts to the pf prior to production so maybe that will boost it on your rating scale... lol
I have never had a JJP game, but can compare AMH to other Sterns and the build/manufacturer/assembly (not sure what you want to call it) quality was lower on AMH than Stern but overall we have had much fewer issues with AMH holding up on route than ANY of our new Sterns. I was at Spooky factory last week and the proto RZ has many improvements in design and build quality which makes it much more similar in manufacturing quality (all concerns I had from #1 were satisfied with the improvements on #2) to Stern.

Time wil tell i"am not convinced yet.
Cut out Alex Horley's mindblowing playfield graphics and redesign the background.
Its to plane, simple, thats why it looks not like a factory pin i think.
It works for a backglass or cabinet, not a playfield.
A playfield needs more contrast between the graphics.
Thats the reasen it looks empty.
Let a designer make the playfield graphic layout and use Alex Horley's playfield drawings.

#106 8 years ago

If your opinion is you dont like the game, that is cool and you are entitled to it.

You are still wrong about many of your other claims/concerns. I think it is odd how so many people just spew straight lies when they dont like a game.

#107 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

If your opinion is you dont like the game, that is cool and you are entitled to it.
You are still wrong about many of your other claims/concerns. I think it is odd how so many people just spew straight lies when they dont like a game.

Reed my last post the last 3 lines. I didn't said i dont like the game, they have to change some things to make it more attractive ,so it does look like more professioneel.

#108 8 years ago

And building 300 machines still needs a lot of money and time for a small company.

Thats what i meaning time wil tell.

#109 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

these are not lies, its a opinion.

#110 8 years ago

I would be in for an Alice Cooper pin in a heartbeat! This would sell out faster than Rob Zombie, heck Rob himself would buy an Alice Pin.

#111 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

How about they don't just do licensed games like everyone else and go back to an original theme?

Aurich, you're a really smart guy. Ask Ben Heck why. It took them forever to sell AMH. They sold out of RZ in a week. So you want them to make a bad business decision?

#112 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Aurich, you're a really smart guy. Ask Ben Heck why. It took them forever to sell AMH. They sold out of RZ in a week. So you want them to make a bad business decision?

I am not sure AMH was a good business decision. The title had a very limited appeal. If they are using that pinball machine as an example, they are misinformed. I do agree though, that choosing a license is well worth it in the end. There is essentially a license theme that could account for every none license idea.

#113 8 years ago

double post

#114 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

Reed my last post the last 3 lines. I didn't said i dont like the game, they have to change some things to make it more attractive ,so it does like more professioneel.

I think everyone agrees with you. I'm a little surprised by something. Spooky is a company for the people by the people right? They've seen the reality of pinball lately. If you reveal something that can be made better, why not make an attempt? Heck Stern redid GOT premium and Jack completely redid Hobbit based on Feedback. I was a little surprised that Spooky got feedback on the plastics and empty playfield look and was sort of like, "take it or leave it". Yes everyone is sold. But that doesn't mean buyers don't want it as good as it could be.

We all know Spooky gets (and maybe deserves) more of a pass. But there are small things that could improve this pin before production begins that wouldn't be such a heavy lift. I know they are working on stuff, so maybe we should all wait until the final is shown. They are smart dudes. Hopefully some of this will sink in.

#115 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

that is a flat our lie. You did not say you think it will take them over 3 years.

Even if you had said that, all evidence points to it being factually wrong.

#116 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

I think everyone agrees with you. I'm a little surprised by something. Spooky is a company for the people by the people right? They've seen the reality of pinball lately. If you reveal something that can be made better, why not make an attempt? Heck Stern redid GOT premium and Jack completely redid Hobbit based on Feedback. I was a little surprised that Spooky got feedback on the plastics and empty playfield look and was sort of like, "take it or leave it". Yes everyone is sold. But that doesn't mean buyers don't want it as good as it could be.
We all know Spooky gets (and maybe deserves) more of a pass. But there are small things that could improve this pin before production begins that wouldn't be such a heavy lift. I know they are working on stuff, so maybe we should all wait until the final is shown. They are smart dudes. Hopefully some of this will sink in.

Yes, thats what i mean.
Lets wait for the final production sample.

#117 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

that is a flat our lie. You did not say you think it will take them over 3 years.
Even if you had said that, all evidence points to it being factually wrong.

I said 2020 thats 4 years not 3.
And still no lie, i think that it take that long to bild 300+ machines by hand for a very small company.
I hope i have it wrong,time wil STILL tell.

#118 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

And still no lie, i think that it take that long to bild 300+ machines by hand for a very small company.

And I was pointing out that is is completely wrong. When you state something as fact that has the possibility to hurt the company it is pretty sad.

How long did it take them to build 150 AMH? Reality is that EVEN if they built at the same pace as AMH it wont take them any where close to 4 years.

#119 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

Quoted from Whysnow:

And I was pointing out that is is completely wrong. When you state something as fact that has the possibility to hurt the company it is pretty sad.
How long did it take them to build 150 AMH? Reality is that EVEN if they built at the same pace as AMH it wont take them any where close to 4 years.

I would guess that when the new shop is complete and set up for production (likely 6-8 weeks) Spooky will be able to build close to 5 games per week. That should mean that all RZ will be complete in about 22 months. They might be able to make them faster or there might be major issues with money or parts that cause delays. No one knows for sure as it hasn't happened yet.

It doesn't make sense for them to try to make the games crazy fast as they need time to develop the next game and have it ready for production when RZ finishes. Plus you have the pizza game they are making.

#120 8 years ago

I am willing to bet on Spooky delivering all 300 before 2020 hits...

22 months from when the new shop is done sounds about right. Will be slow at first and then pick up to 4-6 a week. Once they get rolling things will keep a steady pace. Reality with parts is that Spooky has a good relationship with most they get parts from and they are directly in control of many of their parts. If money was not a problem for AMH then it wont be for RZ either.

#121 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Well your right in some way's ,4 year is a little over reacting .

2018 is more the real possible target to make 300 machine's for Spooky's small factory, if EVERYTHING goes wel on time and if al the 150 AMH machine's you said are already build.

Can't wait to see the final proto next month.

#122 8 years ago

We have to get Spooky some credits, because they are the First small company that make"s real runs of pinball machine's.
And they are delivering already.

#123 8 years ago

Another thing to note is that Spooky has taken the practical knowledge and experience gained from building AMH and designed RZ in a way that it will be easier to assemble than AMH was which should speed up build time. If they are currently building ~3 AMH per week I see no reason why this can't be bumped up to 4-6 on RZ once they get things setup and rolling in the new factory. I think there's a good chance they'll finish up RZ before the end of 2017.

#124 8 years ago

It's tough to sell a non-licensed pin in today's market. Especially at the price point. If the prices for a NIB pin for the home were closer to $3.5K, more people would be willing to take a chance on an original theme preorder. I understand that's not possible today, but it's easy to see that a license brings in more buyers at the price required to keep your company afloat. Back to the topic at hand; I've got cash in hand for the first company that releases a pin based on Nintendo properties:

Metroid
Castlevania
Legend of Zelda
Mega Man
etc.

#125 8 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

I've got cash in hand for the first company that releases a pin based on Nintendo properties:
Metroid
Castlevania
Legend of Zelda
Mega Man
etc.

This.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The video game industry is HUGE. Bigger than Hollywood. In 2013, Hollywood made some $36 billion dollars. The video game industry nearly doubled that number at $70 billion. Granted, games cost more than a movie, but still. I think the pinball market would strongly benefit from themes revolving around games. Especially ones as timeless and nostalgic as the ones you've listed, jwo825.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#126 8 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

In addition to Harryhausen (on 12/29 TCM had a marathon of some of his films), a Hitchcock-themed machine would be fantastic as well. So much film and television content to choose from, having modes to work through the suspense and ultimately 'control' the machine as well as everything it is throwing your way. I can see it now...
Brad

hitchcock_(resized).jpg

Wow, a Hitchcock pin would be different and cool. I imagine something on the scale of TZ. Widebody, lots of shots, lots of mood music, and some tricks to build suspense. It would be tough to translate everything that made Hitchcock great into a pin, though. Even so, something classy and cool would be a welcome change to the usual rocknroll-pop culture themes done lately.

#127 8 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

This.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The video game industry is HUGE. Bigger than Hollywood. In 2013, Hollywood made some $36 billion dollars. The video game industry nearly doubled that number at $70 billion. Granted, games cost more than a movie, but still. I think the pinball market would strongly benefit from themes revolving around games. Especially ones as timeless and nostalgic as the ones you've listed, jwo825.

The issue might be this: video game properties are best enjoyed within their own medium. For example: I LOVE STREET FIGHTER! But the pin version? Same with Mario. People are used to controlling the characters they love...not sure pinball is the right medium for video game properties.

#128 8 years ago

Spooky took deposits for RZ at the perfect time. Nothing was really out (but GOT) and everything else in the industry is either delayed years or not shown yet. It's going to be interesting to see how RZ holds up into 2016/2017 once more games get revealed / shipped. No doubt RZ is different and very limited, so don't think that will impact it much.

But Spooky Game 3 is going to be a critical moment for them. Will they be able to get the quality and innovation up to the new standard? Or will they go more niche titles that no big manufacturer would touch? Think about all the "R" rated themes out there they could make.

Who knows, but definitely going to be an interesting 2016 for sure.

#129 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

The issue might be this: video game properties are best enjoyed within their own medium. For example: I LOVE STREET FIGHTER! But the pin version? Same with Mario. People are used to controlling the characters they love...not sure pinball is the right medium for video game properties.

The SF pin does suck, but SMB is fun. People generally don't have a problem enjoying movie and band pins that are not in their own medium, so I don't see why it would be a problem with a theme licensed form a video game.

Besides, Metroid is perfect for pinball. I mean, the character turns into a ball and a lot of the game is rolling around exploring.

Spooky could do Castlevania justice and it's technically, a horror theme!

#130 8 years ago

i second the Hitchcock pin. lots of episodes to pull from. lots of great sounds.

#131 8 years ago

Even game's that no one wants get a run from a 200+ run by big company"s.
So a good non mainstream game would sell 50+ for a small boutique factory.
And still they survive.

#132 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

th3OK2RJKG_(resized).jpgth3OK2RJKG_(resized).jpg

#133 8 years ago

Nuff Said! ....and don't forget the Roc and skeleton fight and snake girl....

the-7th-voyage_(resized).jpgthe-7th-voyage_(resized).jpg

cyclopsfinal_(resized).jpgcyclopsfinal_(resized).jpg

#134 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

The issue might be this: video game properties are best enjoyed within their own medium. For example: I LOVE STREET FIGHTER! But the pin version? Same with Mario. People are used to controlling the characters they love...not sure pinball is the right medium for video game properties

Both were designed by gottlieb around the same time, which is when DMD first came out. The right designer can make any theme work, even video games. So long as you have a good story to tie into hitting things on a playfield, it can work.

Take Street fighter for instance, you're basically hitting a target, or a scoop, or a ramp to defeat an enemy. Now imagine if you took a layout like champion pub, and there's curved walls that make the ball jump (like in the game), and targets are hit for special moves like fireballs.

#135 8 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Both were designed by gottlieb around the same time, which is when DMD first came out. The right designer can make any theme work, even video games. So long as you have a good story to tie into hitting things on a playfield, it can work.
Take Street fighter for instance, you're basically hitting a target, or a scoop, or a ramp to defeat an enemy. Now imagine if you took a layout like champion pub, and there's curved walls that make the ball jump (like in the game), and targets are hit for special moves like fireballs.

I see your point. And agree. That would be cool.

#136 8 years ago

I am pretty sure Charlie is a Godzilla fan. Every time I see a Facebook post or something with Godzilla in it I hope it is a teaser of what is to come!

Aaron
FAST Pinball

PS: After Bible Adventures, of course!

#137 8 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I am not sure AMH was a good business decision. The title had a very limited appeal.

This is ridiculous....If Spooky decided to do another 150 run of AMH tomorrow, I think they would be gone in a day. I think it was a good decision in a string of many good decisions by a small compamy trying to grow proportionally.

#138 8 years ago
Quoted from hooch333:

This is ridiculous....If Spooky decided to do another 150 run of AMH tomorrow, I think they would be gone in a day. I think it was a good decision in a string of many good decisions by a small compamy trying to grow proportionally.

What leads you to believe this? It took him over a year to sell every AMH. Why would they all be gone in a day? Why?

#139 8 years ago

Because before they left TTPF last year they sold out in a day.......and left many people wanting more. Since that game has gotten into players community there has been a tidal wave of positive feedback

#140 8 years ago
Quoted from hooch333:

Because before they left TTPF last year they sold out in a day.......and left many people wanting more. Since that game has gotten into players community there has been a tidal wave of positive feedback

And how many did they sell at TTPF? The last 10 or so? Ask Charlie or Ben if they would do another run of AMH and the answer would be no. They've both gone on record many times talking about how much of a b#$ch it was to sell that theme.

Remember, they had to spend A LOT of time and resources traveling around to shows to get the games sold. How many shows did they have to do to get all RZ's sold....wait for it....NONE!

#141 8 years ago

Domino's could be interesting. If you have to deliver the pizza in 30 minutes or less. Otherwise say it ain't so.
Next thing there will be a Google Pinball Machine, Yahoo and insert your crappy startup company name here machine!

#142 8 years ago
Quoted from hooch333:

Agreed.

AMH was slow to sell at the begining because nobody had played it, it was an original theme, risks, and the whole "pinball is hard" thing.

Then they WISELY decided to put a limit on the run of games. This helped nudge people to buy it because it would be a rare game and if you did not buy in then you may miss out. Sales picked up.

Then word of mouth started to take over as more games were delivered (1 per week to start) and more friends got to play it. Sales started to snowball.

Then even more people got to play it and they went to more shows. The interest had risen and so had the ability for people to lay hands on it. At the same time Ben started really digging into taking feedback and improving the code. This increased confidence in buyers that the game would grow even more and get better. The code gradually became very fun and very challenging with great risk/reward.

The snowball overcame them at TPF where the desire to lay hands combined with the sheer number of people combined with the readiness to buy made the sales skyrocket at the end.

Of course now even more games have been delivered and even more people have gotten a chance to play it. this has added to the popularity even more and combined with the very clear message that Spooky will NEVER do a stupid VE/refake/2nd run/etc... the game is in fact both rare and capital F U N. They could easily sell another 150 and the best part is they never will. They are a company of their word and that is a big thing I love about them.

RZ sold out so quick, not because of the theme but because of the integrity of Spooky, the proven ability to build and stand behind a game with continual support and code improvements, and the wise decision to set realistic production goals that are both good for their business and continue to establish a healthy secondary where demand is much greater than supply.

#143 8 years ago

I like music of ALL sorts, country, heavy metal, R&B, jazz, pop, EXCEPT classical BS.

Now, I know head banger works and Alice Cooper would be great too, but at some point, somebody has to mix it up a little bit.

For example, you could sell out as many Jimmy Buffet/Margaritaville pins as you could make, a ton of parrot heads that never played pinball would jump all over it. Put some hot chicks with Big Juicy Melons in there and you have a winner!

What's the pinball market again? 40-60 year olds with $$$?

#144 8 years ago

Public domain:
Edgar Allan Poe anthology with cask of amontillado back glass and tell tale heart under pf
Jules Verne Anthology
Island of Dr. Moreau: modes for build the beast folk, battle them, escape the island.
Dante's Inferno, Gustav Doré engravings

Licensed: House of Wax

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#145 8 years ago
Quoted from Tribonian:

Public domain:
Edgar Allan Poe anthology with cask of amontillado back glass and tell tale heart under pf
Jules Verne Anthology
Island of Dr. Moreau: modes for build the beast folk, battle them, escape the island.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

They actually want to sell pins...

#146 8 years ago
Quoted from Tribonian:

Public domain:
Jules Verne Anthology

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

My wife would probably order an Edgar Allan Poe pin sight unseen.

Also, didn't all the Lovecraft stuff just go public domain? There was a huge uptick in Cthulhu merchandise last year. I'll bet there's a decent market for that.

#147 8 years ago

@ Kaneda

Because a 1950s 3-d horror theme (like Creature from the Black Lagoon) would never sell?

Because Poe was no good at "spooky" and a free license is cost prohibitive?

Because the themes of an author whose sales over the last quarter century (between Agatha Christie and Shakespeare) don't translate to other media?

#148 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I like music of ALL sorts, country, heavy metal, R&B, jazz, pop, EXCEPT classical BS.
Now, I know head banger works and Alice Cooper would be great too, but at some point, somebody has to mix it up a little bit.
For example, you could sell out as many Jimmy Buffet/Margaritaville pins as you could make, a ton of parrot heads that never played pinball would jump all over it. Put some hot chicks with Big Juicy Melons in there and you have a winner!
What's the pinball market again? 40-60 year olds with $$$?

Hey, Iceman. Technically, these are classical music. And they're both great to listen too when you're doing stuff like shopping pins or board work. I like to listen to them while I draw.

612km2U7SSL_(resized).jpg612km2U7SSL_(resized).jpg
41Q455DYGPL_(resized).jpg41Q455DYGPL_(resized).jpg

#149 8 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

This.

Tobacco industry makes over 500 billion. Let's see a new cigarette pin.

Seriously, though, I would love a Metroid or Castlevania pin. They would have really great music to go with it.

#150 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Tobacco industry makes over 500 billion. Let's see a new cigarette pin.
Seriously, though, I would love a Metroid or Castlevania pin. They would have really great music to go with it.

Castlevania would be amazing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Maple Ridge, BC
Wanted
5,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 210.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Other
Medisinyl Mods

$ 7,700.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

There are 175 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-spooky-s-next-game-be/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.