Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 114 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by TheLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What sport or sporting event will you miss the most?”

• NCAA March Madness 35 votes
      14%
    • NBA 9 votes
      4%
    • NHL 25 votes
      10%
    • MLB 23 votes
      9%
    • PGA 8 votes
      3%
    • Soccer 9 votes
      4%
    • pinball shows 27 votes
      11%
    • Not going to miss sports at all 97 votes
      39%
    • XFL 4 votes
      2%
    • other 10 votes
      4%

(247 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F1C71CB7-C723-4309-8124-3E90B5DB198A (resized).jpeg
    7C87E334-6FF4-4269-B531-D8A01CE23CFB (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 11.30.25 AM (resized).png
    aykSEwE (resized).jpg
    gold jessie diggins (resized).jpg
    A Gold (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png

There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 4 years ago

That’s because he was using a laugh track!

#52 4 years ago

Most sports i could live without to be honest. After the strike in baseball kinda walked away. If i watch at all maybe part of 3 or 4 games. The NBA and NFL never cared for or missed in the 1st place. Grew up without basketball and football i do remember as a little kid was well not good. Then left town screw the No Fun League and the asses that are called owners. Then had the balls to come back and promise it only to pull out again. Racing of cars can't pin exactly when i stopped caring but it's been awhile. Golf something i never got in to it.
    Now hockey that i did get in to and enjoyed for sometime then fell away with lockouts, the teams moving around and name changes. But still kinda payed attention. Enjoyed last year so hope the season is only delayed. Miss some of the old school teams the Nordiques and who can forget the Whalers in Hartford.
    So i guess more

#53 4 years ago

My biggest customer is a pro hockey team

We have season tickets and I feel like the arena is our second home during the season.

#54 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

No reason to cancel the nfl draft, they already had the combined, you don't need players chest bumping roger Goodell to get one team.

An NFL insider is saying the draft is going to be postponed until mid to late May, just hasn't been announced yet.

#55 4 years ago

Yeah I agree logistically there's no reason the NFL can't do it's draft, but optics alone probably rule it out.

And considering they are going to have to delay or cancel the season, they may as well delay the draft.

I wonder if free agency will go on. Probably not as there's not going to be any teams flying players around to get together for meetings. I doubt players, agents, and teams will all agree to skype free agency either.

#57 4 years ago

Just played a few games of NBA Fastbreak without a crowd.
    Didn't seem any different than normal.

#58 4 years ago

It really sucks big time. Sports is the only reason I still have cable. In our house sports is on 24/7. We don't watch news, we watch sports. Sports talk radio all day. The first 4 days of march madness is magical. Love the Masters and NFL draft in April. NBA playoffs not so much till the finals but not having multiple NHL playoff hockey games on tv is going to be rough.

Hopefully the world returns to normal by the summer and NFL season is not affected. Honestly, if I don't have football on my tv in September i don't want to live.

#59 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I really only follow the NFL so it isn’t affecting me much.
    Once they cancel the draft it gets real!

They are going to delay it or so I've read.

#60 4 years ago

No problem. I just play more pinball. Right now I'm trying to see which game is better, WOZ or Wonka.....

Tbd.....wonka has the lead currently.

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from HEAD_boss_HOG:

No problem. I just play more pinball. Right now I'm trying to see which game is better, WOZ or Wonka.....
    Tbd.....wonka has the lead currently.

I like both of those, it's going to be a hard call. The Woz is the earlier one with the monkey feature? I'd disqualify the late ones where JJP did the unthinkable and removed one of the best toys the game offered.

#62 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

I like both of those, it's going to be a hard call. The Woz is the earlier one with the monkey feature? I'd disqualify the late ones where JJP did the unthinkable and removed one of the best toys the game offered.

Yeah I have ecle
    Great game but more primitive than wonka

Jjp is great !!! Cant wait for new release.

#63 4 years ago

No sports sucks but it also gives us time to do some other things such as MORE PINBALL - if only CGC would ship my MMrRE

#64 4 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Reruns of past games!

Remember when espn classic use to run old episodes of Verne Gagnes AWA promotion? That was awesome

#65 4 years ago

Are there any sports happening globally? I'd be down for watching some rugby or aussie rules football. Hell i might even give soccer a try if it was on.

It was the right call to make but was really hoping NASCAR was still going to have their race. Also it was weird watching the player's championship Thursday only for it to be cancelled after the first round.

#66 4 years ago

I love sports. My son loves sports. My wife loves to run. We lean towards soccer because that's my #1 & my son loves it - but we'll watch anything. It's weird without but we're doing just fine.

To Mr. Diggler above, I can only help with soccer. Pretty much every top league in the world is postponed except Mexico. They are still playing in empty stadiums. There are 3 games on today - ESPN Deportes, ESPN app or Spanish channels - on at somethinglike 1pm, 7pm & 9pm Central. I don't plan to try to convert anyone because I think everyone is entitled to like what they like. But it won't be completely fair to judge the event with no crowd. Atmosphere is such a huge factor in sports, especially soccer. Good luck - I'll probably be watching too as my schedule permits since all my other leagues are postponed.

#67 4 years ago

I'm reading more books.

Read some great sports books to tide you over.

#68 4 years ago
    Quoted from NY2Colorado:

I'm reading more books.
    Read some great sports books to tide you over.

Recommend?

#69 4 years ago

The City Game

The Boys of Summer

Anything by David Halberstam

#70 4 years ago

Not all sports are cancelled. The PBA Masters are on today at 1:30. FS1.

You son of a bitch, I'm in.

#71 4 years ago

The Boys of Summer
    Ball Four
    For golfers, A Good Walk Spoiled

#72 4 years ago
    Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

Not all sports are cancelled. The PBA Masters are on today at 1:30. FS1.
    You son of a bitch, I'm in.

Sorry to break it to you, but it is postponed as well, looks like I’ll be trying to escape Nublar all day

#73 4 years ago

Kentucky Derby

#74 4 years ago

No team sports here, but have always loved Supercross/MX. Sucks because right in midseason (for SX).

#75 4 years ago

Feels weird to glance at the sports app, and nothing is happening..I’m gonna miss hockey big time, as teams were in a playoff race. Golf too..w the masters just around the corner. For now, it’s taking care/cleaning of the truck, and a lil more time w my dog n pinball..

#76 4 years ago

I actually watched a MMA/UFC fight from start to finish for the first time yesterday.

#77 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I really only follow the NFL so it isn’t affecting me much.
    Once they cancel the draft it gets real!

I 2nd that thought... I just hope this virus frenzy is over before football season starts.
    All the talk is about not having test kits, but I guess my thought is where is the new flu vaccine and when will that be ready?
    I don't see any info or discussion about that ...

#78 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

All the talk is about not having test kits, but I guess my thought is where is the new flu vaccine and when will that be ready?

IT normally takes up to a year for a new flu vaccine to be developed and tested for effectiveness,
    before it goes widespread public;
    at least according to some spokespeople at the CDC.

#79 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

I 2nd that thought... I just hope this virus frenzy is over before football season starts.

Minimum one year - 1.5 years. The health people have been telling us that for several weeks.

Any mixed messages (Lies/ignorance) about a vaccine coming in “months” are not coming from the actual experts involved.

#80 4 years ago

I think these professional athletes are over paid anyway and I hope they get pay cuts for not playing. I enjoy the NFL and NHL and here in Colorado we can’t even watch the Avalanche because the local broadcast company couldn’t make a deal with Comcast. It’s all about money and it’s sickening. Fuck em all!

#81 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

Sorry to break it to you, but it is postponed as well, looks like I’ll be trying to escape Nublar all day

No it's not. This is from the PBA Facebook not 30 minutes ago.

Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 11.30.25 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-15 at 11.30.25 AM (resized).png
    #82 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I think these professional athletes are over paid anyway and I hope they get pay cuts for not playing. Fuck em!

Who-Dey is that you?

#83 4 years ago

With the NFL cba being passed, ESPN finely has some sports to talk about.

They are going to cover this ad nauseum for the foreseeable future.

#84 4 years ago
    Quoted from NY2Colorado:

With the NFL cba being passed, ESPN finely has some sports to talk about.
    They are going to cover this ad nauseum for the foreseeable future.

Everything espn does is nauseating. Besides PTI and Highly Questionable there isn't any espn programming or radio I pay attention to. Even Monday night football has been a hard watch since Toricco left for NBC

#85 4 years ago

Only care about NHL as hockey only true real sport left where the rules don’t mess up the game and code is great. Its almost playoffs and best time of the year like playoff hockey no other sport can match it.

#86 4 years ago

Not sure why they can't play these events behind closed doors?

The TV audiences will be huge.

#87 4 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I don't watch much sports, but I'm guessing because the athletes are multi-million dollar assets and some of them are already sick. It's not a very fair game if half the team is sick either.

#88 4 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Because they'll get each other sick and hasten the spread of the virus throughout the country.

The Utah Jazz has it.

A Detroit Pistons player - who played the Jazz last week - also has it. These people have teammates and families. And so on.

There's very few sports where they could pull this off without a risk of spreading. Texas Hold 'em? Chess?

#89 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Texas Hold 'em? Chess?

Nope to close to each other.

#90 4 years ago

Pulled the DTV plug this morning. No Hockey? I'm out.

#91 4 years ago

Time for ESPN to change over to THE OCHO! i know they film stuff like this all throughout the year for this promotion. Also, dig into their archives. We need Worlds Strongest Man from the 70s, Kickboxing, Great Ourdoor, games and the greatest show ever on ESPN, Kiana’s Flex Appeal!

Do it!

7C87E334-6FF4-4269-B531-D8A01CE23CFB (resized).jpeg7C87E334-6FF4-4269-B531-D8A01CE23CFB (resized).jpeg
    #92 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

It’s all about money and it’s sickening.

What did you think it was all about?

#93 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That’s because he was using a laugh track!

They all do! Real comedians don't need them.

#94 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Time for ESPN to change over to THE OCHO! i know they film stuff like this all throughout the year for this promotion. Also, dig into their archives. We need Worlds Strongest Man from the 70s, Kickboxing, Great Ourdoor, games and the greatest show ever on ESPN, Kiana’s Flex Appeal!
    Do it![quoted image]

Hell yeah! It looks like ESPN is going to bring back some of this wacky stuff and do THE OCHO!

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/17/espn-reveals-its-plan-for-tv-without-live-sports-during-coronavirus.html

#95 4 years ago

I used to watch Kiana's Flex Appeal. It was on in the morning before SportsCenter came on.

#96 4 years ago

ESPN and Sports Talk radio will probably be concentrating on Where Brady will be going for the next month;
    as well as other free agency topics until the NFL draft. That and maybe MMA and Pro Bowling
    and maybe Aussie rules football are the only other sports still competing albeit without fans.
    Regards ESPN the OCHO;
    last August when ESPN ran with that day or programming,
    I seem to remember seeing some promos stating that they had film crews at the Stern Pinball Pro finals,
    but it never ran, but may still be in the can ready to be aired now.

#97 4 years ago

I've been watching (car) racing a bit more and dedicate Sunday
    afternoons to that. Will miss that but not a lot. No interest in
    any other sports.
    Steve

#99 4 years ago

ESPN the Ocho will be airing this Sunday on ESPN2, sad to say, it appears no pinball in the line up schedule to this point.

#100 4 years ago

With no sports on, they are easier to ignore.

I always say, regarding sports, it's too bad people don't get this worked up about things that actually matter!

Hope this crap is over before football season, though!

There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-no-sports-mean-to-you/page/2?hl=loganjk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.