(Topic ID: 133982)

What will it take to get Pinball back in Dave & Busters?

By Jared

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 275 posts
  • 114 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by TreyBo69
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    pinball_DB.jpg
    1991-williams-slugfest_1.jpg
    pasos_mkt1.jpg
    08_ttt_119.jpg
    IMAG8452.jpg
    IMAG8451.jpg
    oldrowbeer.jpg
    Plinko_pinball.png
    CAM01131.jpg
    dino.jpg
    pinball_at_dave_and_busters.jpg
    2015-07-24_10-33-11.jpg
    power_wipe.jpg
    Stern_PinRedemption.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cidco.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#215 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I ask again:
    How many of you guys went to D&B to play Pinball regularly when they still had Pinball machines?

I use to go to the original D&B's location in Dallas and play pinball in the 90's. They had an awesome selection of new Bally/Williams games in great condition. For the time they were the best maintained games in the area, at least that I was aware of. I would walk in, start a four player game, and then order a beer when the server came by. Basically what I do now at my house, except for the server part. Once B/W stopped producing pins D&B's never bought any new Stern's and then started slowly getting rid of their existing games. I think they've been pin free in the DFW area about ten plus years now.

Something that I've heard before but no one has brought up here yet is that pinball usually doesn't earn as much per square foot as redemption or a new video game, which is the reason D&B's always gives for not buying them. But once you factor in residual value you end up better than a video game. Basically a five year old pin holds more of its original value than a five year old video game does. D&B was originally supposed to be an adult arcade. Kids were allowed until 9:00pm, but even before that they always had to be accompanied by adults. That's pretty much all gone out the window now. A few weeks ago when I was at our closest D&B's there were kids literally running around the entire time like it was a McDonalds play-land. The old D&B's would have pins even if they were just breaking even on them, because they knew it brought in adults who would then spend money on food and drink. Now they are basically a higher end Chuck E. Cheese.

Back in the 90's myself and a bunch of friends (both male and female) would go to D&B's several times a month and spend a bunch of money on food, DRINKS, and games. There was something for everyone and D&B's was constantly experimenting and trying out unique new things. Giant linked cockpits with PC's and 32" monitors, Galaxian theaters, shooting gallery with rifles. Now every game they have can be found at other large entertainment centers like Main Event. They hardly ever get new video games and when they do they buy the same games for every location. So even their own locations have the exact same games! Having pinball now would be unique, at least in DFW where we don't have many places that have any pins let alone ones that are well taken care of. I really miss the old Dave & Busters.

1 week later
    #227 8 years ago

Apparently the new Dave & Busters in Euless, a suburb of Dallas/Ft. Worth, opened with two pinball machines. It would probably be a good idea if we played them to show there is indeed a market for pins on location.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#235 8 years ago

After 20 years of saving up tickets at D&B's I finally found something I could use...a cigar ashtray. The way they are focusing more on kids now I wonder how much longer you'll be able to find ashtrays, shot glasses, and pint glasses at their redemption centers?

image.jpgimage.jpg

#243 8 years ago
    Quoted from CarShark:

Three things:
    1) I've never seen a video card reader like that at a D&B.
    2) I wonder how much a game costs.
    3) Does that have the Stern version of the redemption software?

All of the newer D&B's in Dallas /Ft.Worth use that same type of reader. All games on Wednesdays are half price. Plus if you register your power card you constantly get coupons in your email for $20 free on your card if you reload it with at least $20. So if you go on a Wednesday and use the credits you only paid half price for you end up playing all the games for 1/4 the normal cost.

That style cabinet had a ticket system that hung off the right side. So I don't think these spit tickets. I believe the newer cabinet has the ability to dispense tickets out the coin door. If it had a ticket mechanism that is.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cidco.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-it-take-to-get-pinball-back-in-dave-busters?tu=Cidco and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.