(Topic ID: 133982)

What will it take to get Pinball back in Dave & Busters?

By Jared

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 275 posts
  • 114 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by TreyBo69
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    pinball_DB.jpg
    1991-williams-slugfest_1.jpg
    pasos_mkt1.jpg
    08_ttt_119.jpg
    IMAG8452.jpg
    IMAG8451.jpg
    oldrowbeer.jpg
    Plinko_pinball.png
    CAM01131.jpg
    dino.jpg
    pinball_at_dave_and_busters.jpg
    2015-07-24_10-33-11.jpg
    power_wipe.jpg
    Stern_PinRedemption.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CarShark.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#203 8 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

I was at an after hours office get together awhile back.
    they had 2 of the boxing games and a wcs pin. I was playing the pin by myself and during a half hour I saw people put in $20 bill after $20 bill.
    id bet a $100 went into those things while I put in a dollar into the pin.

That's a major problem I see. Most redemption games reward better play with more tickets. Pinball rewards better play with more playing time, whether as an extra ball or a replay. Maybe standardizing the time of each game, or at least narrowing the variance in such a way that a novice player will still feel as though they accomplished something. For instance, in a mode-based game, instead of having a small hard-to-hit scoop lit for one mode which needs to keep being relit with another shot, maybe it would be better to just have the modes run concurrently. (a la TAF's Tour the Mansion) Perhaps the game could give a speed bonus for finishing modes ahead of time or one for making the scoop. This way, all players can see most of the game in a minute or two. I'd hate to add more work for the programmers, but I really do think an "arcade mode" would help people novices enjoy the tables more. Like for Metallica, it could be:

Level One: Ride the Lightning (hit Sparky 5 times)
    Level Two: Lady Justice (make 4 ramps/loops)
    Level Three: Fuel (hit left targets 4 times)
    Level Four: Grave Marker (complete inline drops and hit marker)
    Level Five: Coffin (hit captive ball 5 times)

It's probably not the best order, but you get the idea. If they lose the ball, they lose a life. If they finish in less than 30-45 seconds, they get a bonus. If they finish all five, they get a frenzy multiball for 60 seconds.

#216 8 years ago
    Quoted from Cidco:

D&B was originally supposed to be an adult arcade. Kids were allowed until 9:00pm, but even before that they always had to be accompanied by adults. That's pretty much all gone out the window now. A few weeks ago when I was at our closest D&B's there were kids literally running around the entire time like it was a McDonalds play-land. The old D&B's would have pins even if they were just breaking even on them, because they knew it brought in adults who would then spend money on food and drink. Now they are basically a higher end Chuck E. Cheese.

Well, some enterprising middle manager probably figured out that in the same amount of time it takes four twentysomethings to nurse two $12 D&B TNTeas apiece, they could have an entire birthday party of 15 kids each armed with $20 Power Cards which will be drained and refilled at least once. No contest. Singles like myself complain that there aren't many "adult spaces" left, but I can't help but think the reason is that kids are profitable. They spend a lot, quickly, and with little restraint. They aren't as good at the games as adults, inebriated or not, so the payouts aren't as high. It's the best of both worlds as far as D&B are concerned.

2 weeks later
    #238 8 years ago

Three things:

1) I've never seen a video card reader like that at a D&B.
    2) I wonder how much a game costs.
    3) Does that have the Stern version of the redemption software?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CarShark.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-it-take-to-get-pinball-back-in-dave-busters?tu=CarShark and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.