(Topic ID: 32925)

What will become of Pinside if something happens to Robin?

By gweempose

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by robin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_4286_222359754_o.jpg
    image.jpg
    There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

The recent thread on RGP about the future of Pinside got me thinking. I realize it's a bit morbid to talk about stuff like this, but Robin has poured so much of his heart and soul into this site, I'm sure he wouldn't want it to just disappear if God forbid something were to happen to him. I guess I'm just wondering if he has given any thought to this. Is there a plan of succession in place? If not, is there anybody with the necessary skills who would volunteer to keep the site running?

#2 11 years ago

Well first things first, we raffle his pins! Mwa-ha-ha.

#3 11 years ago

Hopefully his brother would take it over.

#4 11 years ago

It's not a silly question. Why is the statistic on second generation business failure so high? Simply because nobody plans for it, and then one day the owners are gone and the business folds. Original owners always talk about retiring, but never really do anything concrete to trickle themselves out of the business and keep it running after their retirement. This website is no different, just a different form of business being run by one guy. It all depends on what Robin wants to do. When the time comes, if he wants to hang it up but keep the site going, he will simply need to put a plan in place to do so and have the right people involved. If he decides to hang it up and shut it down, I tip my hat and give him a thanks and farewell.

#5 11 years ago

After 21 years of sobrity......I need a drink!

#6 11 years ago

thanks for stepping up gweempose. congratulations

#7 11 years ago

It's an interesting subject and seems to be a topic of conversation over on RGP as well. I'm sure that Robin has a plan in place to cover the bases.

What do you say after you've tasted the Spice? "I see plans within plans within plans..."

#8 11 years ago

I think there is more than enough tech talent on pinside to work something out if Robin disappeared.

#9 11 years ago

I doubt there is a plan in place. Who in their 30s really plans for death?
    His brother has full rights/control to Pinside as I understand it so it would fall to him to decide what to do with all the software and data.

#10 11 years ago

Ask Robin.

He may or may not have plans.

He may or may not want it to continue.

Only Robin knows for sure.

LTG : )

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Is there a plan... in place?

We can all just move over to RGP. Many of us are already there. Problem solved.

Feel free to delete the inspiration for this thread.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

We can all just move over to RGP. Many of us are already there. Problem solved.

Many of us are not. A whole is better than a half.

#13 11 years ago

This site is GREAT, please dont make me go to RGP.

#14 11 years ago

http://www.gipaintball.com/teamgip/KYLe.html Is this the Kyle Wren that posted that rant about Pinside? What is he like 14 years old? What the hell does he know about last-a-billity?

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from Legacy:

Many of us are not. A whole is better than a half.

Would you quit the hobby if pinside didn't exist?

Maybe that's the question y'all should be asking. I'm hopeful that most of you would answer no.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from jrrdw:

http://www.gipaintball.com/teamgip/KYLe.html Is this the Kyle Wren that posted that rant about Pinside? What is he like 14 years old? What the hell does he know about last-a-billity?

That's not Kyle. Kyle's been around RGP for nearly as long as that kid's been around. His pic can be found on the Faces of RGP website:
    http://stevekulpa.net/faces/rgpidx.htm

I don't really understand the us vs. them mentality. I visit both sites on a daily basis and think they are both great!

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Maybe that's the question y'all should be asking. I'm hopeful that most of you would answer no.

I would not quit the hobby but I would look for an alternative site that emulates pinside.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

This site is GREAT, please dont make me go to RGP.

JC! How is this a thread??

#19 11 years ago

In the whole scheme of things.

The heck with Pinside.

We should be worried about Robin's family. Let's hope he's around a long time.

#20 11 years ago

well, at least this thread is not about pin price speculation

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from Legacy:

It's not a silly question. Why is the statistic on second generation business failure so high? Simply because nobody plans for it, and then one day the owners are gone and the business folds. Original owners always talk about retiring, but never really do anything concrete to trickle themselves out of the business and keep it running after their retirement. This website is no different, just a different form of business being run by one guy. It all depends on what Robin wants to do. When the time comes, if he wants to hang it up but keep the site going, he will simply need to put a plan in place to do so and have the right people involved. If he decides to hang it up and shut it down, I tip my hat and give him a thanks and farewell.

Fully agree with what you're saying. In my business this is something that comes up a lot (either from my clients asking me about how long I'll continue to stay in business, or business owners that I deal with). Succession planning is a tough one and a lot of business owners just don't consider it or want to deal with it. This is a great question gweempose has asked. Hopefully a plan is in place if something were to happen to Robin (ie. death, disability or he simply loses interest in this endeavour and wants to press on to something else).

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Of course I would not quit. I would just be less informed. These forums go beyond just pinball though. I know there were a lot of guys posting about meeting up and drinking a few beers in Houston when the Houston expo was going on. I had missed it but I hope they do it again next year so I can meet some new people. My point is, all the pinball talk is great on the forums, but it's nice to be able to communicate and do some things outside of pinball and these forums serve as a great gateway for that.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from Buckman:

Fully agree with what you're saying. In my business this is something that comes up a lot (either from my clients asking me about how long I'll continue to stay in business ...

Quoted from LTG:Deleted post
    Quoted from LTG:Deleted post
    #24 11 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

well, at least this thread is not about pin price speculation

Now it is...

#25 11 years ago

Kyle is a good guy, he's probably been collecting pins as long as that kid has been around. He's passionate, and I guess he's tired of this pointless banter. Oh well.....

I wish people would stop wasting their time and breath on BS like this. Yes, there's more than one pinball site/forum/newsgroup/resource on the internet. Seems only Pinside and RGP get debated like this, the others exist, people enjoy them, and don't take cheap shots at each other.

This is a hobby to enjoy. If you want drama, turn on some reality team and leave the rest of us alone.

#26 11 years ago

It's an interesting subject and seems to be a topic of conversation over on RGP as well. I'm sure that Robin has a plan in place to cover the bases.
    What do you say after you've tasted the Spice? "I see plans within plans within plans..."

Lolz

Every time I eat cherries & pull out the stem I unwillingly imagine Baron Harkonnen pulling out the heart plug from that servant dude.

My parents were right, that was a grown up movie.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#27 11 years ago

When Robin's gone Pinside will be run my a mysterious group of overseers known as, "The Regents."

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from rancegt:

When Robin's gone Pinside will be run my a mysterious group of overseers known as, "The Regents."

Someone has been watching a little too much Warehouse 13.

#29 11 years ago

Don't worry guys, I have a will and the Pinside is in it.

I also have a brother who loves pinball and who's highly capable of taking my place!

The title of this topic gave me a good laugh, but it does bring up a good point so thanks for bringing this up. Gives me an opportunity to say that I have no intentions to stop running this site anytime soon.

Plus, there are what, 10, 20, 30? Pinsiders who built and/or maintain websites for a living. I'm pretty sure we could find some folks to help run this thing. After all, it's not rocket science. Just PHP, MySQL and a fair bit of HTML/JS.

#30 11 years ago

Robin bought a Hal computer to run the site.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I also have a brother who loves pinball and who's highly capable of taking my place!

But what if you and your Brother are together when you bite the big one. And he goes with.

Does your Brother have a will ?

With the importance of Pinside. In the future you and your Brother should never travel together. Or attend functions together. Or play together.

This is pinball. Plan for tomorrow.

#32 11 years ago

what if the mayan's were correct and the whole world (except a few of us that have pinball machines in our bunkers) goes up in flames?

who then will run pinside?

(and with the advent of the death of civilization and the internet will have to revert back to a pen & paper newletter with mostly topics about "days gone by" and that time "before the appocalypse" when we had power and such.

my thought is that the tech section of said newletter will be severly lacking with many questions but no answers

mosted missed feature: GAP's sweet avatar image

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Someone has been watching a little too much Warehouse 13.

Yeah, me too.

#34 11 years ago

I like pinside, but it is just a website.
    If it disappeared, sure I would miss it but it would not be hard to move on

#35 11 years ago

After it goes to probate the next of kin or estate exec gets it then pays inheritance tax

#36 11 years ago

Robin,

Please clarify if you and/or your brother participate in any of these potentially dangerous/risky activities:
    * any of the outdoor activities depicted on a No Fear pinball machine (riding/racing motorcycles, car racing, free solo rock climbing, snow skiing, water skiing)
    * cliff diving, sky diving, or cave diving
    * big wave surfing
    * catching/milking poisonous snakes
    * underwater shark photography
    * commercial fishing offshore Alaska
    * window washing on high-rise buildings
    * dating multiple women at the same time (...and lying the whole time)
    * bull riding / bull fighting / bull running / kicking bulls in the nuts
    * boxing against kangaroos
    * buglarizing homes of kickboxers/MMA/karate experts (or most home/gun owners in TX)
    * drive on icy rodes along w/ big trucks
    * regularly eat raw oysters or Fugu (poisonous pufferfish)
    * play professional or semi-pro rugby/soccer/football/lacrosse/hockey
    * lift/move heavy wide body pinball machines by yourself (DM, TZ, GNR, STTNG, NF)
    * make trolling inflammatory type comments on Pinside

Happy Holidays!

#37 11 years ago

Robin is not the person we should be worried about,
    LTG is the man we should be cloning
    Without his knowledge and wisdom , we would all be lost

#38 11 years ago

LTG,

Do any of the activites listed above apply to you that we should be worried about?

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

LTG is the man we should be cloning
    Without his knowledge and wisdom , we would all be lost

Now that is funny.

There are a lot of people smarter than me been helping pinball before me, now, and will continue to do so after me.

That is why I've always been proud to be a tiny part of what helps make pinball great.

( damn that is funny, I'm still laughing )

#40 11 years ago

Our local Georgia Pinball Mailing list was abandoned by it's owner. It stopped working and after a week or two, I just decided it was time to restart it so I rebuilt and now it's back to about 1/2 of the people, but the better of them for sure.

The Internet adapts and survives!

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

LTG,
    Do any of the activites listed above apply to you that we should be worried about?

* dating multiple women at the same time ( record is three in one night )
    * lift/move heavy wide body pinball machines by yourself (DM, TZ, GNR, STTNG, NF)
    * high speed motorcycle riding if I ever get my bike back
    * lottery win and I get a muscle car.

That is all I can think of. My wild days are pretty much behind me.

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Robin,
    Please clarify if you and/or your brother participate in any of these potentially dangerous/risky activities:
    * any of the outdoor activities depicted on a No Fear pinball machine (riding/racing motorcycles, car racing, free solo rock climbing, snow skiing, water skiing)
    * big wave surfing
    * buglarizing homes of kickboxers/MMA/karate experts (or most home/gun owners in TX)
    Happy Holidays!

Now that's some funny stuff right there!

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Lolz
    Every time I eat cherries & pull out the stem I unwillingly imagine Baron Harkonnen pulling out the heart plug from that servant dude.

It is by my will I set my mind in motion...

(Yeah...uh...Dune paperback is sitting a foot in front of me on my desk. )

#44 11 years ago

Man, it would suck if Pinside disappeared. That means that I'd lose all my Karma points!

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Man, it would suck if Pinside disappeared. That means that I'd lose all my Karma points!

If Pinside disappears, you can have mine.

#46 11 years ago

Don't worry, like I said I have a testament drafted and one of the paragraphs is all about fair distribution of Karma!

Robin,
    * big wave surfing
    Happy Holidays!

Uhm....

DSC_4286_222359754_o.jpgDSC_4286_222359754_o.jpg

#47 11 years ago

The Karma points thing was a joke.

Quoted from LTG:

If Pinside disappears, you can have mine.

Lloyd, given your more than 100k posts on RGP, I think it would be much more fitting if I gave you all my Karma points right now.

#48 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Lloyd, given your more than 100k posts on RGP, I think it would be much more fitting if I gave you all my Karma points right now.

Cool. They don't come up often enough on Ebay so I can get more.

#49 11 years ago

I definitely don't want to think about that. I love Pinside and it literally is the best site for pinball.

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

That was a BAD movie.
    Please do yourself a favor and read the books

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-become-of-pinside-if-something-happens-to-robin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.