Screenshot_20240412_203046_Chrome (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240412_203117_Chrome (resized).jpg
DSC06496 (resized).JPG
DSC06495 (resized).JPG
DSC05223 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #33984 Stern's new factory information Posted by Grantman (1 year ago)

Post #36014 TRAILER: Foo Fighters Pin teaser trailer Posted by Yoko2una (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tranquilize.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3252 4 years ago

I hope they vault avengers but make the centre ramp tighter so they can add a second hulk.

I would also like to see a Tommy remake, except that it’s a game about Tommy Floyd providing exceptional customer service to those that deserve it. The warped pf guy appears in modes etc. like the $2 kid from better off dead.

3 weeks later
#3365 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I am calling it now. The next Stern machine will be Jurassic World. The teaser will be released on 31 July with a reveal video/article with IGN on 2 August. Bryan Eddy will knock it out of the park on code, art will be substandard photoshop and we will all complain, but the game itself will be great. It will be a fast and furious pin with more dinosaurs on the Premium/LE than the standard. It will be a commercial hit for Stern in the same realm as Deadpool, and at the end of the day it will advance the hobby. Stern will release the pin with more complete code than any other pin in recent memory, but the code will still improve with time.

I hope you're right. Never know with Stern. It may be a stripped fan layout, with one bash magnet and LE gets drops targets. Code might come so bare that the machine is unplayable (guardians). Not hating; just telling the truth. When was the last time Stern knocked it out of the park with design, code AND toys? Maybe spider man? Xmen was pretty stacked... To me, it feels like the good old days are gone with Stern. Not saying that I don't like the current offerings - I love playing black Knight SOR and absolutely love IMDN - but them doing Jurrasic World just seems like a setup for disappointment to me. The theme could offer so much...

#3444 4 years ago

Good theme would be Bond the same way they did Dr. Who. Different modes/goals for different bonds.

#3514 4 years ago

Grand theft auto would be a great pin if handled correctly.

#3537 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

There are about 50 other video game franchises that deserve a pin more than gta. That's a much narrower demographic than youd think.

LoL:

"Industry analyst Doug Creutz says Grand Theft Auto 5 has made more money than any other form of media in history, with over 90 million units sold and $6 billion in revenue." - IGN

The game has great possibilities as a pin similar to high speed, but you could also add in heists etc. Semi-adult content would be cool as well. Plus it would be a contemporary theme that is still crazy popular amongst the demographic that plays and would play Pinball.

#3540 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

How about a pin for us easy-listening folks? Air Supply, America, Bread, Fleetwood Mac, Journey, REO and Styx! They could be calmer, less violent games. Maybe with a 3.5 degree pitch. The ball just gently, slowly, barely rolls back to your flippers. With a huge center post like a marshmallow. Ahhhhhh.

The only one I would love would be Styx. Mr Roboto should be a pinball machine on its own.

#3547 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

And Mustangs are popular cars. Numbers dont make good themes. GTA is not as popular with the pin ball BUYING community as with the younger crowd (that's where the numbers are) and the theme would be alienated by many operator locations with it's over the top violence. Gta is on a lot of parents no play lists. Ive played through several gta games myself (vice city being my favorite) How would this really translate into a pin anyway? Just buy a Getaway and pretend you are killing people along the way.

Mustang also happens to be one of the worst designs in modern pinball. People won't even play the one on location here for free. GTA has a ton to offer, even without the sex and violence. I mentioned some possibilities in my previous post. It would attract a younger crowd, and many on this forum have played the game and likely like the game.

#3577 4 years ago

Gobots for the poor kids!

#3604 4 years ago
Quoted from wlf_:

Aren't there enough other avenues for you to get your rocks off? Buy one of the trillion older pinball games with scantily clad women in the art and have a blast in your weirdo basement. How's about pinball is pinball and you get your "Deep Throat" online?

Full agro on your 9th post. You're going to fit right in around here. Welcome to Pinside!

1 week later
#3707 4 years ago

I heard Keith is doing Fritz the Cat...fritz (resized).jpgfritz (resized).jpg

#3882 4 years ago

If the home edition rumour is true, it's likely because Gary hired some marketing hipster that convinced him the company needs to become a "lifestyle brand" and enter the homes of average people. What an awesome idea . . . for all companies that don't sell pinball machines.

I think it's bill and Ted. The artist spilled the beans and had to backtrack (lie).

1 week later
#4273 4 years ago

Personally don't get it. A remake of a pin that was modeled on a film from 1993.... Why?

#4277 4 years ago

I can see Munsters a little more as it hadn't been done and has a great soundtrack. I'm not in the pinball business, but I'd be hitting themes that are for old and young ppl. Maybe ppl still watch that film.

#4280 4 years ago

It has a catchy song like Addams family. What’s not to get??

1 week later
#4324 4 years ago

Since Star Wars seems to be a cursed theme, maybe Spaceballs would work?

2 weeks later
#4379 4 years ago

Original theme...

- sports in x games
- space exploration
- sci Fi
- fantasy

What happened to imagination? Good gameplay and killer art would make it work.

#4435 4 years ago

I find that sewers add a sense of wonderment for new players. When newbs come to my tournaments, they are amazed by the sewer magic of STTNG, even if the game kicks their ass. They also have little trouble learning sewer shots like the piano on tz and the chair on TAF. Disappearing balls via sewers is just plain cool and fun.

Good news to hear there is no ban. Keith, what are the chances of your next machine being an unlicensed theme called Sewer Madness?

2 months later
#5403 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Shot geometry? Don't understand what you mean? Not all games are flow games. Bricked shots are because of inaccurate shooting. Play better! I bought this game exactly because it isn't another flow game like my ST pro. It's one reason why I love this game, it takes practice to get the shots down and when you make them, it's rewarding! It also has the best upper PF in modern pinball IMO! This game gets an unfair rap because people judge it in a public place after a few games. This isn't a pin you'll work out in a few games and why it's a good players pin for home use. And when you get this table rockin, it's awesome! Hiding the ball under the upper playfield and sculpts is actually an objective in one of the modes. The longer the ball stays hidden from view, the more points are awarded. It's cumulative until the mode ends. It starts with an 11 second countdown timer. If you make a shot and the ball stays hidden for say 2.7 seconds, it will count down from 11 sec to 8.3 sec and award points. The longer it's hidden from view, the more pointed are awarded. Unique feature and fun!

I disagree that the geometry just needs to be learned by better players. I play very well, and the game, like Houdini, has geometry issues. They should have removed one of the shots to free up room or go widebody. Maiden has tough shots but also flow. Machines should have both. ACNC played like crap to me.

#5514 4 years ago

We need some new unlicensed themes:

- Space/rocket ship
- Cell phone/internet/hacker
- Horror/killer
- Sexy woman in the jungle
- Magic

I think themes like this lead to far more creativity inside the game...

#5599 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Seems likes a perfectly fine thread to express my disappointment in Stern. When Stern was the only one making pins Gary had the bright idea he would just cost cut and at the same time raise prices to improve profits. Not a very nice thing to do to your loyal customers IMO. So now there is other companies to compete for sales and Stern is just continuing on with the same strategy? That’s arrogant man. And why would I want the company currently making the lowest quality pins to make my dream themes. Anyone but them right now.

I have IM next to IMDN. The quality difference is absolutely insane. I can touch maiden with my pinky, and the whole machine shakes. I have to use both hands aggressively to do the same to IM. I wish Stern would reverse course on the cost cutting (bring back the older PSU with button in the right place, a knocker etc etc.) as I am sad that I can't support them anymore.

I guess this is a good time to ask: has anyone added weights into the cab of newer sterns?

3 weeks later
#5982 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

I might be alone on this but I feel Stern has watered down their pins to the point that I don’t want anything they make. Rick and Morty will have more features, better build quality and more assets than a Stern Stranger Things. Let’s see...Stern took JP and turned it into a generic dinosaur game. Some what is ST going to be? A pin about a mall? At this point in time you don’t want Stern making your dream theme.

I think adding in the JP bash got you all the downvotes.

Stern ripped many pinheads off (including me) with a bad PFs and will not make it right. Their customer service as of now consists of IGNORING customers. If you want to roll the dice on quality with zero support toward serious issues, go with Stern. As much as I despise this company and hope they go out of business, they have improved in adding mechs etc. JP is pretty good value in the way of mechs; it's just that those mechs will likely break prematurely and Stern won't do dick about it.

I'm excited for other choices, and I wish JJP or Chicago or spooky (anybody but Stern) got the license to Stranger Things. That being said, Rick and Morty are sooooo much more fun as characters. The creativity by spooky will be great I'm sure.

#6040 4 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Of ALL the choices, this one seems incredibly odd to me.
One good LP. One good EP. And already has a good pinball attached to the brand.
Just don't get it.

I totally agree. There are so many other choices that haven't been done... I didn't want Pirates because it was a worn-out, recycled Disney license. I find GnR to be a love or hate band, and with jjps high price point, I see it as a risky choice. Baffles me too. Maybe slash had a lot to do with it, him being a pinball fan.

#6081 4 years ago

I'm sure there's an Avengers sitting in some distro's basement somewhere. That distro's wishing it was a Transformers...

1 week later
#6341 4 years ago

Instant buys for me:

- Any game that's been done before
- Any game that should have been made in the 90s

4 months later
#7495 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Iron Man vault has 1/10th or less the demand LotR Spike would have. Converting THAT would have been a waste of time and money, totally get why that didn't even enter the conversation at Stern. LotR vault would sell more than Munsters, Elvira, and Black Knight:SoR combined - a whole YEAR's slate.
For LotR Spike, 6 months I could see to get the job done. 12 months would be generous. Depends on how many people are assigned to getting it done. And of course they could do a one-off, or make conversion tools to allow other WhiteStar games like Simpsons Pinball Party and Harley Davidson (don't laugh, 3 editions prove HD fans have no pinball taste and money to burn) to get a Spike vault. Simpson Pinball Party, especially, would likely have LotR vault numbers as a Spike vault.

I have no idea why you're pumping LOTR spike, but it would suck ass. At least it would bring down the price of the original. I could see LOTR SAM, maybe. I'd take the flipper fade any day to have a real board to work on. Just wait till the spike boards start to fail. You're a pinball guy... shouldn't you know this? Old boards fail. They need work. They need upkeep. The icting for LOTR is because it's from the era where common sense went into design. Spike vaults would be horrible. It might be unpopular now, but I'll send you back here in ten years.

#7499 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

No matter how durable SAM is, you're never getting stereo sound out of an original LotR. Ever. There are other advantages you get with Spike that you won't have on an original LotR. I'm fine with rolling the dice because the list of improvements is LOOOOONG. If you want to stick with the limitations of the original SAM release, that's fine. There are thousands out there for you to buy and fix up.
Once the LotR Spike is released, those ALSO FLAWED originals will be a lot cheaper for you. <- Why you should want LotR Spike

I'd buy one right away

Just like the stock market: buy what you know is good, not what you "think" is good.

#7527 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

No amount of awesome art can fix this game for me. It is literally the only pinball machine at the place I take my son to play and I still dont want to play it anymore. Piece of crap imo

My barber used to only have Avengers. I didn't even like looking at it, let alone playing it. LOL. They are both just horrible games.

#7592 3 years ago

Well, we just had a current theme, so I guess we have to have 3 or 4 pre-1990 themes...

I'd love a tiger King pin. As a theme, it has exotic animals, cowboy guns, meth zombies, sex slaves, and murder. It's ripe for comedy, has great fake Tiger Joe music, and excellent clips. I bet Joe would offer audio over the phone from jail. Instant buy.

#7620 3 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Any pics posted of TMNT yet?

king (resized).jpgking (resized).jpg

#7630 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Must be April fools somewhere, I cant imagine a Megadeth pin would be official, I do hope I'm wrong though. Ill say it again I dont care who the artist is, when a band like Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Kiss etc etc already has built it art, I don't really want an artists interpretation, I prefer original band artwork. Vic rattlehead, Eddie, is better suited by remaining true to the album art.

Mustaine was never on the level of the other bands in your list. Megadeth would sell very poorly. I'd rather see Judas by far, but it wouldn't sell either.

#7643 3 years ago

At least Godzilla is an Asian culture beast that is older than your grandpa... Not another 80s theme. With Elwin designing, it would be awesome. I wish Elwin worked for jjp or Chicago or even spooky so the QC could at least try to keep up with the design.

#7704 3 years ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

What ever theme it is, it should have completed code and be a done game. They had at least 6 months to work on code.

#7730 3 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Zombie Yeti is doing the art for TMNT and it will be based on 90’s TMNT (so think Deadpool style) Game features 4 player co op mode and Internet connectivity to play vs or coop with other players around the globe. Even if you think the theme is lame this game has HUGE potential aaaand they have had a few extra months to flesh out the code prior to release. Should be announced in the next few weeks.

Hopefully they put a children's style bobble head in the game too!

#7790 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

Also Im 39 years old and Harry Potter would be my absolute Grail theme. Im a star wars nut, but for pinball Id prefer Harry Potter. And my whole family would enjoy the heck out of it as we have all read the books and seen the movies multiple times. Weve been to Universal every year over the last 3-4 years to visit. We just love it. So even as a middle aged guy I would KILL for a Harry Potter themed pinball. I love music but could care less about music themed pins. Id much prefer sci fi or fantasy themes.

It would be great for jjp, but Stern would fuck it up. Making a ball do "magic" takes mechs and magnets that do neat things. In short, it would take some innovation and cost. Stern wouldn't spend the money. A Dracula magnet effect would work well with the theme.

#7843 3 years ago

I wish they would design an orginal theme and put all the saved cash into the game. If they did a good job on the theme integration, I swear it would sell as good if not better than some of their licenses. If Keith designed and Lyman did the code, it would do very well.

Some ideas that almost no one hates:

UFOs with humour like attack from mars
Haunted mansions
Medieval anything
Space and technology
Classic public domain stories: mythology etc. Minotaur would be a great title/theme
Generalized vehicles (monster trucks, motocross)
War/tanks/jets/bombs

There are countless untapped original ideas within these general themes that would work great. I'd rather have a better game than a license.

#7942 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

This is kind of what JJP did with Dialed In and it didn’t blow everyone away with sales (though a fun game). People say they want original themes but the reality has been that they don’t sell well. I think Stern was somewhat disappointed with the sales of Black Knight and it’s a superb game (though granted a bit sparse from a standpoint of toys).
A game based on King Author, Alice in Wonderland, Beowolf, Greek mythology or some of the other classic stories that in the public domain would be very interesting if done well and targeted to an adult market, but would they sell? Sadly what people say they want is not always what they actually want.

But Dialed in isn't an cool theme. I don't mind it, but it is, by no means, a theme I would recommend a company to try to sell. On the other hand, a theme like Minotaur or some post-apocoyptic theme would likely sell if paried with the right designer and coder. To say these themes wouldn't sell based on sales of a poorly implemented theme doesn't make sense.

Stern is cutting to the point of affecting gameplay, which is horrendous. Mono targets? I'd rather have no target there at all seeing that you don't even have to aim at them. Play munsters for ten minutes. You can't help but hit them over and over and over. Put Keith and Lyman on any game and it will sell. Save the money on the license so they can design a game with real targets and maybe an extra mech or two!

1 week later
#8117 3 years ago

What about a Leaping Lanny Poffo pin? He could recite his poems for callouts.

1 month later
#8510 3 years ago

Black Gallagher pin would be epic.

tenor (resized).pngtenor (resized).png
#8513 3 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

Pee Wee’s playhouse would be epic.
[quoted image]

Black Gallagher visits Peewee's playhouse would be epic.

#8516 3 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Geez. Kids show host touches himself in public and everyone loses their shit.
Oh, right...

In a porn theatre where touching yourself is the norm...

1 week later
#8588 3 years ago
Quoted from MrCleanHead:

My vote is for The Matrix and/or John Wick. Both of these movies are coming out early next year. Especially The Matrix, I think would be a missed opportunity.

Just when I thought jjp's Johnny Depp mug was the worst...

#8619 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Yes, I like IM as a machine, but that is despite the theme - not because of it.
In general, I don't like any of the rock-band themes, and Iron Maiden is as bad of a theme as is possible. Though, I guess The Partridge Family could be worse.

You do realize IM = iron man, since 2010?

#8647 3 years ago

Mars 2021 would be an awesome theme! Man, I wish...

#8712 3 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

I've never liked STTNG ... Worst slingshots ever. Good riddance. Also, no lame video mode.
Yes I realize I'm in the minority.

If you don't know how to adjust slings, replace rubbers, and play Riker poker, yeah the game sucks.

#8726 3 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

I know how to do all that, thanks, just never cared for the game. Riker poker even more boring than the pattern memorization mode. I'm not sure how you adjust the trapezoid shape out of the slings, or make them not dead near the top where there is no switch or kicker.

Just gotta adjust the switches. Mine are gapped tight, and with new rubbers, the slings are like any other machine but bigger. If you don't like Riker poker, take the 25 Mill and move on. It's been years since the last time I did the video mode.

Game crushes Stern's, but everyone's entitled to their own STTNG.

1 week later
#8776 3 years ago
Quoted from cleanandlevel:

just depends on the title.. I have an SLE HoH and I don't ever see myself selling it, but if I do I have full faith I'll get my money back. imagine if they made 50 Scared Stiffs that were foiled out, I'd imagine they'd be worth a pretty penny right now. Addams Family Gold fetches a ridiculous amount and they made a bunch of them...

I'd bet good money against this. Market saturation and build quality will destroy resale of all SLEs. You may be able to fluke out and find a buyer that would pay what you paid, but if be shocked if you did. You'd be better off with a Stern pro for recouping more of your cost. R&M and BL are probably the only nib games that will see a price increase when sold.

#8783 3 years ago
Quoted from cleanandlevel:

you know there are only 50 of these out there right? 25 of them went overseas. as far as I know, it's the most limited Stern edition ever made, yeah I'll definitely bet you "good" money it at least holds its value, I'll PM you right now and we'll check back in with each other in 10 years or so.

How many Thunderbirds did they make again?

#8803 3 years ago

If that Batman price is real, which I highly doubt it is, it would be a rarity. "Rare" pins are losing demand, just like hockey cards and anything else that gets saturated by companies playing off collectability. Gary has gone to that well too many times. It's a market for suckers unless you don't care about return. But keep buying if you're sure you'll find some dude with 20 grand that is dying for a "special" machine based on a granny with juicy melons. Lol.

#8863 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Jealousy of money is as old as money itself. I grew up around people with much more money than my family had and learned to not begrudge them or have petty jealousy like displayed in this thread. There are lot of people who have tons of money. I'm not even talking about billionaires. If you made $10 million a year, how are you stupid for buying an SLE for $36K? The extra money to a person in that tax bracket is like a couple hundred to me. When I drive 50 miles each way to buy a game, I don't bicker over a couple hundred dollars if it's a game that I want. I've already invested the better part of a day; hand them the money and move on.
I think the Pro, Premium and LE model is genius and helps people on all ends of the pinball spectrum from a perspective of available play money. JJP and CGI seem to agree too. Why be an SLE hater and worry about a product that was never aimed at you? Don't buy it. Why belittle and discriminate against the 1%? Let them have their fun too and don't worry if you don't find it to be a particularly good investment LOL. If there is demand then why not make a product? Would be stupid not to. Especially one that rolls in a ton of profit margin and helps keep the cost of Premiums and Pros down a little? Before anyone bitches at that statement, tell me that the profit margin on Pros is not way less than an LE or especially an SLE. Stern is a business in a cut throat industry that has seen many companies come, go and have to be rescued. Supreme was also genius and yet some people here resented it and resented Stern for ever making it. Mind boggling how anyone can think like that.

The discussion wasn't about hating on SLE owners, it was about one specific egomaniac stating that his EHOH SLE is going to increase in value. I can easily afford to by that POS, but I'm smart enough not to. d-bagz is the one telling us how 'comfortable' he is. You can be 'comfortable' and make bad decisions. He made one and is butthurt that some of us are pointing it out.

Buy another one; it's your money. Will we point and laugh? YES, absolutely!

#8920 3 years ago

Sooooo glad they did stth instead of Goonies. That 80s shit doesn't hold up.

I wish jjp had queen and Stern had gnr. Each company will screw each of these licenses up in different ways. In fact, I wish Elwin was at jjp. I'd be broke.

Money safe for a while....

#9280 3 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

Anyone buying pinball machines as investments needs to talk to a financial advisor. Sure it’s fun owning a machine that’s worth more than you paid for it, but anyone looking at it as anything more than a novelty is a fool.
If you are using pins as investments, the only way to do it is to buy LEs and leave them in the box for years or buy super rare machines and not play them. What’s the fun in that???

Heard various versions of this a million times on here. I'd argue anyone who doesn't consider resale value seriously, especially with a big collection, is the bigger fool.

#9290 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Resale and investment are two different things. I think we are lucky that in most cases, you might only spend $500 to own a games and play it for years, then turn around and sell it. They do hold value...

Totally, but the point was that you should definitely consider and care about resale in any hobby. When I first got in, I considered most of my W/B pins as investments, and they are easily up 35% still to this day. My IMDN LE is going to set me back 2.5k, or 20%. My DILE will be the same. In the end, I'll likely come out slightly ahead or even, and this is how I want to keep it. I won't buy any more NIB games because of this.

I can easily afford to lose money, but why on earth would I voluntarily do so?

#9329 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

IMDN LE? They seem to be holding value pretty well. You must have paid way too much for it in order to lose 2.5K on the deal?

Purely speculation. I paid MSRP from a distro, and only 10 of them came to Canada with the tournament button and Canadian mechs etc., So maybe I'll get my money back. The issue is the price. It worked out to 12.5k in Canadian pesos. That's a huge price up here. I'm banking firmly on getting at least 10, but who knows... I'm pretty sure it will be a loss. Don't know if I'll ever sell though as the game is so damned good.

1 week later
#9558 3 years ago

If Stern bought any competing manufacturer, it will be the saddest day in pinball on a very long time....

#9780 3 years ago

The best part of this release is Kaneda arguing with himself for stealing info from himself and that he'll run out of legit info if he stops releasing information to himself. Reminds me of Steve from Gameseum. Good times!

#10009 3 years ago

Keith has broken through the no subway Stern era. Good job, man!

The premium looks crazy awesome. Wish the build quality matched as I'd buy this in a second! I'll pick one up in the secondary market in a few years.

#10043 3 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Just for clarity: You guys are criticizing a plastic toy on a pinball machine, because it's not as realistic as the thing in the comic books.

ehem... Maybe you should list the price of the "pinball machine" you're referring to?

#10058 3 years ago
Quoted from StrangeSubset1:

only room for 3 total....

Not true. You just need to sell furniture or remove your stove. Hotplate is good enough. Dining rooms are sooooo 90s.

#10097 3 years ago

I'm hearing Mork and Mindy or One Day at a Time. Schneider multiball wil be epic!

1 month later
#10531 3 years ago

Pee Wee's Big Adventure. Insta-buy!

3 weeks later
#10934 3 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Like hell it does.
I think people tend to concentrate far too much on the shot multiplier aspect of this pin. I love how the shot multiplier works, but if you concentrate on that as your priority, you are not going to make it far into the game. And there is a *lot* to see and experience in the code on SW. It's actually an epic code set. Too bad that many people don't seem to appreciate how damn good it is.

There is clearly a love-hate for this game. I'm proudly in the absolute hate. I think the layout sucks ass. The shots are boring. The annoying tie fighter crap is awful. The multiplier rules DO suck. The mode selection sucks. Pro has a ship on a spring, typical ramps and three mid-pf standups? The LE at least has the death lock and the high-speed engine.

I would have bought this game in a second if it was designed well with a good ruleset. I've played the crap out of it (mostly the pro, but I have had two long sessions on the LE), and it's beyond mediocre. Owners will rant and rave and insist, but you're going to have to face reality: MANY people who know and have played this game enough to know it well dislike it. It's the same as the Ghostbusters crowd. That's another turd. At least black knight, the most stripped down modern pin ever made, shoots well and has pretty good code.

#10945 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

So...you weren't very good at playing it? Because when you light this game up, it's pretty epic.
I don't love it as much as my GOT or STh or even JP...but it's certainly not leaving my collection any time soon. It's a hard game and it kicks my ass, but there are so many ways to play it (like GOT) that it never gets old. Meanwhile, I think BK isn't nearly as good. So to each his own.

I've blown the game up quite a few times. It just doesn't matter to me. Feels like Aerosmith. I can kill it on the game, but I'd rather just walk away and leave the credits for some kid who has no idea what he's doing. Ignorance is bliss.

#10961 3 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Who are these "many people " you have been given permission to speak on behalf of? Friends who personally comment to me about the game agree that its a game where once you understand the game and how to work the multipliers its addictive. The layout is SR butter. Btw it ain't hard to get a name up on one in the wild... I wouldn't be grandstanding your accomplishment so eagerly.

This is from the first 11 reviews. 4/11 were good, one was sort of good, but on the fence. The rest are right here for you. You can keep reading if you want to go there yourself.

mal7887

I'll admit, I'm not a huge Stern fan, but I am grateful that they are still making machines and all that the do for this hobby. Having said that... Did we really need another Star Wars Pin? I am a big Star Wars fan... but Meh, I just wasn't that entertained playing this game. I found the play to be very repetitive and boring. After playing a few games, I have no desire to play it ever again.

Pyromedic

Such high hopes to get a game worthy of the theme. Such a let down.
It's STAR WARS! deserves so much better. :sighs:
1983 Star wars video still the gold standard for the franchise.

klyguy533

This one is a big letdown. I don't understand why its rated so high. The best part of the game is shooting the death star and maybe the tie fighter. When the game feels like its flowing your just playing catch with yourself through the loops. The side drains are oppressive which really kills the game. Many, many balls l never touched because they side drained (including the ball save) without ever making it to the flipper. Just when the ball gets in play it gets taken away.

Daditude

As a huge Star Wars fan, this game was a letdown for me. On one hand, the call outs and sounds are some of the best in pinball (I am certainly partial, however), and the artwork is good. On the other hand, this is one of the most barren modern pins in existence. The premium has the hyperloop, which helps.
I will say that there are a ton of modes, so if you are a mode and/or flow player, this is far more likely to be your speed.

MasterReese

Found this game to be a huge letdown. I think the the theme integration is very poor and doesn’t have enough shoots. The one thing I like is probably the ball going in a loop to destroy the Death Star. I love the the Star Wars theme and I feel very disappointed in this game.

Frostbite

I played a few games at a mall, i may be the minority here but i think there is too much flow. For awhile i felt like i was playing catch with my self, flip the ball up it would loop around and come back down towards my other flipper. Didn't care for the little lcd, i felt like the playfield was cheapend up to be able to put the lcd in it. Steve Ritchie's next game Black Knight Sword of Rage Pro blows this out of the water.

Ecw0930

I'm a huge star wars fan. Huge.
Big let down with this game. It's got too much going on. I wanted to play pinball. This is video games and pinball. The shots are tricky. Outlanes are too hungry. Way to hungry. The one I played was probably not tuned up and taken care of the best. But still. Directions were not clear in the game.
It was fun. Hitting the tie fighter, the death star. Cool. But I wanted more ...

#11007 3 years ago

Gary has repeatedly said that btf is not attainable. Christopher Lloyd is the hold out on TAF, and that was a far lesser role. You're not getting btf.

I'm sure you'll get your Zepp remake though. Enjoy! Lol

#11089 3 years ago

grail_translite (resized).jpggrail_translite (resized).jpg

It should be done by summer!

#11133 3 years ago

I'd like stern to remake the first Avengers but tighten up the shots and call it Charlie Murphies True hollywood Stories. Dream machine.

#11189 3 years ago
Quoted from BallPin:

I don't have a podcast. I'm not Kaneda, nor would I ever want to be, the guy has issues. BTW, I thought the Star Wars home comic pin was out a while ago. I swear I saw it last month somewhere. Either way, I'm talking about the next Stern pin, like full size pin, will not be BTTF or LZ. We shall see!

Mmmm hmmmm...

#11270 3 years ago
Quoted from BallPin:

True, but if you listened carefully, I was mad they were floating the idea of GNR not being next, and I only posted that to light a fire under JJPs ass. Worked out great! GNR was JJPs next release. Makes my happy. If you read my posts, I wanted to be wrong lol! I don't care about being right or wrong. I have sources and I don't share it or post their information. My sources are 100% correct so far, they told me about AIQ, SW, TMNT, Stranger Things, etc. so I have an idea of what's going on behind the scenes. I actually don't care what you think of my track record, and I'll wear GNR being wrong proudly. Sometimes I like to chime in a drop hints, but I'll let you guys speculate...it's cute!

Whatever. No one's asking for your "Insider" info anyway. Stick to your podcast and save us the BS on this site. You were banned for a reason and hopefully robin will ban your ass again.

#11276 3 years ago
Quoted from Boat:

He doesn’t seem like the same guy.
I don’t listen to pinball podcasts but that K guy seems to be the person that pinside absolutely loves to hate.
Any insider rumours or Tips is what keeps me going.
I hope the next stern isn’t a music pin. Unless it’s queen because my dad would really love one.

I'd rather him be gone. He has his other outlets. Funny that he thinks a brand new account with all the same info, claiming Kaneda steals his info etc. It's so obvious.. I'm surprised the account has lasted this long. *Sigh*

#11351 3 years ago

Maybe a theme that someone under 50 might recognize?

2 weeks later
#11692 3 years ago

How about a John Waters pinball? All his fucked up characters in one pinball machine. Our maybe a Jim Rose's freak Show pinball.

#11717 3 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

I think GnR has done that... Beatles is fun to play yes would I pay the extreme price for one no. Through in a 5er yeah why not

I truly hope it kills the concept dead and puts strong nails in the coffin.

#11900 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

You are not a music pin guy. Move along.

It's a pinball forum. Not everyone will agree with you. Don't like it? Move along.

#11966 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Just wouldn't be pinside without all the haters. Us old guys get a pin once in awhile too , I have no interest in tmnt or avengers. But I don't trash them.

1 week later
#12369 3 years ago

crazy.jpgcrazy.jpg

I fear the fact that you are a parent.

1 week later
#12513 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer67:

Toy Story will be at least good, Lawlor knows what he's doing. My personal tastes with JJP is my dislike of their heavy reliance on multiball. For me, a game absolutely centers on having clearly-delineated, satisfying yet challenging shots...and single ball play. The occasional MB should be icing on the cake and a special occurrence. I'm not a fan of having to stack MB and flailing around somewhat blindly in MB.
I hope Toy Story uses MB as icing and not the main part of the cake.

That's why DI is so good! I do hope Toy Story isn't MB heavy and has some new crazy innovation. I'd like to see some development on sewers, like STTNG. I'd also like to see some use of the backbox. Bring back some banzai!

Back to Stern: Godzilla is a great theme. I hope they nail it!

#12518 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I don't think Toy Story will be as multiball heavy as jjPotC or GnR. Eric seems to really like multiball, a bit too much for my taste, too, but I still love his designs.
My problem with Pat is he's just recycling his greatest hits with his JJP designs. I don't feel there's a lot there that hasn't been seen in his prior games, so they're boring to me. I was initially excited about Dialed In, but it got really boring and repetitive pretty fast and the shine was off within a month or so. They did improve it by breaking up the phone progression, but it was too little, too late, IMO. I hope he does some cool new stuff with Toy Story, but I'm not super-optimistic.

The theatre is crazy awesome as is the combo city in Wonka. Disagree about Pat.

Elwin does include MBs, but they are a good mix of primary and 2 ball with add a ball and are usually difficult as hell. They don't play long. I don't find IMDN mb heavy, but there are quite a few.

#12536 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

What's awesome about the theatre? The ball throw from The Shadow/Ripleys? Not much new or innovative there, and The Shadow did it better. The "holographic" effect just looks like video being played in a box.

I like the intermittent projection. It's a really cool effect.

#12574 3 years ago

Let's get back to the 40s when it was just radio. Little orphan Annie for the win. Maybe it could come with a secret decoder pin?

1 week later
#12818 3 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

This works for me. Probably better if JJP did it!
Hogwarts!!!

Sorry, that was produced in the last 20 years..

#12836 3 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

Also Happy Days. But not sure if it would work yet. Stern probably needs to wait a couple more years for it to line up with the target market.

They have howdy dudy and Roy Rogers first. Maybe Bonanza. Now that would be a sweet pin!

#12861 3 years ago

How about storage wars or backcountry moonshiners?

#12935 3 years ago

Dialed In didn't sell as poorly as many like to claim, and it did have theme issues. This was back in the "family pins only" age of JJP. Look at what happened when they ditched this approach for GnR? Sales through the roof!

If DI was themed as Pat wanted, a disaster game, it would have sold even better.

There is definitely room for orignal themed games, but the game must be themed well and play very well, things that always applied to pinball. I'm actually surprized that Stern doesn't try it, seeing that their primary driver is cost savings.

#12963 3 years ago
Quoted from Nightmare:

If they ever get the licensing situation handled between the creator and the writer, I think Friday the 13th pin would be great. I would also get the guy who did the artwork for the boxset to do the artwork.
[quoted image]

Have you watched the movie since you were 12? It is seriously one of the worst movies ever made. Dead serious.

#13081 3 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

A Pink Floyd pin would be insane and a instant purchase for me. Fingers crossed that this rumor is true.

If they based it on the movie and stuck to the wall it could be crazy. I just wish they had a designer and bom that could do it justice.

#13108 3 years ago

How about an everything 80s pin. We stuff all the movies, all the rock bands, and all the shows into one pin. No pinsound needed. BTTF included!

Then maybe, just maybe, the pinball community can shave off all the mullets and at least live in the 90s for a while. The hopes and dreams of making it to the turn of the century may also come to fruition some day. I completely understand that the adjustment takes time though. 20 years just isn't enough. Patience is key.

#13170 3 years ago

Harry Pooper is old news. At least it's not 80s.

#13224 3 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

Tim the tool man, Home improvement pinball,
[quoted image]

I think that is honestly the worst idea I've read in this thread. That's a massive accomplishment, considering some of the crazy shit that's been proposed.

1 week later
#13409 3 years ago
Quoted from Raiders36:

SInce I really want a PJ game. This would be a instant buy for me as well.
[quoted image]

Yeah, you could lock a ball in the bus (Super LE only) and then the game shuts off. Great idea!

2 weeks later
#14121 3 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

1000% behind this! It really needs to happen.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Then you can sit fat Vince Neil next to fat Axl. Ultimate stuck in the 80s experience!

#14191 3 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

Stern Pinball make amazing music pins,
I love all of them and if I had space and money I would own the lot.
I have been thinking about this band for a number of months now and the coincidence of new album made me smile.
Just imagine the High Energy and Awesome art
The Offspring could bring to the Pinball scene !
https://www.nme.com/news/music/the-offspring-announce-their-first-new-album-in-nine-years-let-the-bad-times-roll-2887791?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=the-offspring-announce-their-first-new-album-in-nine-years-let-the-bad-times-roll&amp
https://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/the-offspringss-10-best-songs-11127?amp
Some great albums with some incredible high energy tracks, perfect for pinball.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Offspring was the Nickelback of grunge... Just sayin.

#14194 3 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

They were not grunge though.

Offspring was the Nickelback of the grunge era... Just sayin.

2 months later
#18178 2 years ago

Getty Lee ruins rush. Awful smurf voice.

1 month later
#18902 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

There are a few squeaky wheels out there who really want this game, so it is a perfect theme for a boutique Kapow game with high price and not so many units sold. And yes, the movie has not aged well. It is unbearable to try and watch in 2021 unlike a lot of the classic older movies. Also, the car is not only outdated, its one of the biggest pieces of shit ever made. I could outrun it 0-60 on a Bigwheel and I'm not sure it can even do 88. But hey, to each their own. To me WPT was one of the greatest themes ever.

Our local theatre did drive in movies during covid. Wife bought tickets to bttf. I rolled my eyes, thinking it would suck.

That movie has maintained its appeal better than any movie I've ever seen. I had forgotten how great the film was/is.

That being said, I couldn't care less if they made another pin based on it.

#18908 2 years ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

Agree. If Stern pledged a certain amount from each game sold to his foundation and that number was sufficiently high I bet he would authorize the use.

It's Christopher Lloyd that is the hold out. Take a look at the repro playfields. Uncle fester has been altered beyond recognition.

2 weeks later
#19275 2 years ago

1x8s3y (resized).jpg1x8s3y (resized).jpg

1 month later
#21187 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Elwin is definitely capable of outdoing himself.

Most forget that Elwin spent YEARS on Archer/Maiden. He may outdo himself, but the current schedule makes me doubt it. Maiden reflects the time spent. The best stern to date.

1 month later
#22865 2 years ago

I think the issue with recent non-licensed games is that we've just been unlucky. Most of them are not great designs. Dialed-in is well designed, but the theme could have been better. It still sold relatively well. If Elwin did a space theme, I think it would sell just as well as his licenced pins. Especially because they could put more toward the BOM.

1 month later
#24029 2 years ago

Most don't a agree, but I think Foo Fighters never would have made it anywhere without Nirvana. The music just doesn't have an originality and spark that big band music has. Boooooring. To me, it would make a terrible pin, but that's okay. I need a freakin' break from buying pins. I remember the days when my bank account was like a thick mattress of security. Now its a desolate wasteland, nuked by the new golden age of pinball.

#24053 2 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

Nobody knew who Dave Ghrol was when he was in Nirvana. I’ve always liked the Foo Fighters and no matter what your take on them is, Dave Ghrol is a very talented musician. I strongly believe he would be successful regardless of Nirvana. I was never a Nirvana fan (and I’m still not).
As for a Foo Fighters pin, I can’t really see it. All the band pins lately have been get the band together, go on tour - meh.

You're kidding, right? Nirvana was one of the biggest bands in history. Dave Ghrol and Krist Novoselic were household names. Foo Fighters were strongly branded as having a previous member of Nirvana.

#24071 2 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

They were one of the top 5 ‘grunge’ bands to come out of Seattle at the time… but as near as I can tell, thats about it.

Nirvana is one of the best-selling bands of all time, having sold more than 75 million records.[138] With more than 28 million RIAA-certified units, Nirvana is also one of the best-selling music artists in the United States.[139] They have achieved ten top 40 hits on the Billboard Alternative Songs chart, including five number-ones.[112] Two of their studio albums and two of their live albums have reached the top spot on the Billboard 200.[140] Nirvana has been awarded one diamond, three multiplatinum, seven platinum and two gold-certified albums in the United States by the RIAA,[141] and four multiplatinum, four platinum, two gold and one silver-certified albums in the UK by the BPI.[142] Nevermind, their most successful album, has sold more than 30 million copies worldwide, making it one of the best-selling albums ever.[143] Their most successful song, "Smells Like Teen Spirit", is among the best-selling singles of all time, having sold 8 million copies.

Nirvana made Foo Fighters. There's just no question about it. Foo's songs are mediocre at best.

#24072 2 years ago

1 week later
#24391 2 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

OK, so YOU would rather see a Prince pin. That's fine. That's what YOU like. But Rush were also musical geniuses and amazingly good musicians and Stern will sell a ton of Rush machines. Word is you couldn't even get an LE before the game was even announced.
And please, it's spelled Eddie. Eddie Van Halen. It wouldn't be an Eddie tribute pin. It would be a Van Halen pin. Now that there has been AC/DC, Metallica, Maiden and Rush, I'm feeling better and better that a VH pin could actually get made in the future!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Just make a Panama pin. David Lee Roth on the trans, Eddy on the PF with Last-Action-Hero art. Only one song. Panama.. forever. Insta-buy!

#24620 2 years ago

Roth VH is actually kinda fun. Haggar VH is like Nickelback but maybe worse? Not sure there, but they are in the same league. Tons of album sales but barf. At least with AC/DC they stayed in the same range and a decent band, even though Bon was better than Brian.

#24630 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Omg start a Van Halen thread or come back when there are rumours of a Stern VH release.

You new here or somethin'?

1 week later
#24835 2 years ago

Ordinarily, Rush would blow the socks off the pinball universe. Keith is just too damned good. All the other designers don't have a chance.

#24850 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Elwins earlier games are better than the last two imo. Othe designers most definitely have a chance. Looking forward to Dangers first cornerstone.

I'd say I'd rate the middle two lower than Maiden and Godzilla, but they are still insanely good. His worst are the best of others. Insanity. INSANITY! I just wish CGC built the games.

#24962 2 years ago

Bring on a Witcher pin. Monster battles, whores, Gwent, whores, monster battles!

#25000 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Game-based or Season 1 of the show. Season 2 was crap.

I haven't seen the show. I guess most ppl would want that or at least recognize it.

#25026 2 years ago

Already been suggested, but worth a repost. It would have to be spooky so they could put a MONSTER fucking sub in it. Take my money! NWA (resized).jpgNWA (resized).jpg

#25039 2 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

No not Spooky .. Buy a pre amp sub .

I'd prefer to buy a product that actually comes with what most would want... so spooky. TNA is a great game with killer sound. Stern is bottom of the barrel for sound, even in the LEs.

1 year later
#37445 10 months ago

I have solid information from an insider that the next pin is . . . Uncle Grandpa!

The premium is going to have a network of sewers, 6 scoops, 2 ramps, staged balls, 8 diverters and 4 magnets. One of the ramp diverters diverters the ball to the drain, a first in pinball.

I contacted my distributor to get on the LE list. Only bad thing is the $399 price increase...

download (3) (resized).jpegdownload (3) (resized).jpeg

#37483 10 months ago

JJP announcement just in:

download (4) (resized).jpegdownload (4) (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Drumstarr mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

Machine - For Sale
Wake Forest, NC
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

9,000 (OBO)
$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 47.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Space Coast Pinball

$ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tranquilize.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine?tu=tranquilize and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.