DSC06496 (resized).JPG
DSC06495 (resized).JPG
DSC05223 (resized).JPG
dr (resized).jpg
IMG_2624 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #33984 Stern's new factory information Posted by Grantman (1 year ago)

Post #36014 TRAILER: Foo Fighters Pin teaser trailer Posted by Yoko2una (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15896 3 years ago

Rush makes a lot of sense, they’re the energizer bunny of old rock bands and the music works for 2-3 generations (thank you vinyl resurrection), and is GREAT for pinball. I just hope that the budget isn’t spilt on license like with Led Zeppelin.

#15914 3 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

I believe it’s a dual motor component that they are having trouble sourcing. Most games that have a motor are single function. EHOH has two motors behind the house and I believe the trex on JP premium is a similar situation

After JM, I’m surprised anyone is making pins with complex motors.

#16273 2 years ago

I wonder if hookers and stiffs would sell pins.

3C1E7E82-E6F1-4598-857C-5C018EF944BE (resized).jpeg3C1E7E82-E6F1-4598-857C-5C018EF944BE (resized).jpeg
#16701 2 years ago

Yep. Game art is important to me, and it helped make the decision to buy Jurassic Park an easy one. I think it looks fantastic.

Quoted from shaub:

Really, the guy does one pinball machine and you already write him off? Guys like him are exactly what stern needs. Like you said ZombieYeti cant do every machine.
I happen to really like the overall art package of Jurassic Park myself.

#16703 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

I’m not on the job right now. Right now, I’m just voicing my opinion. Which doesn’t matter any more or less than anyone else’s opinion. Also...you should see the kind of language that gets thrown around in this industry. My comments are mild comparatively haha.

I’m not surprised that someone who makes a living as an art critic would find fault with lowbrow art. You’d hate my collection of Dirty Donny blacklight posters, and my Metallica would probably make you hurl. To me, lowbrow is a style, I like it, it’s not for everyone. I happen to think that Johnny Crap is able to separate his work for Stern from his lowbrow stuff, and the art on JP is not that style at all. People judging him here based on that one whimsical lowbrow print are kind of missing the point.

Now tell us about how Andy Warhol was terribly overrated.

#16743 2 years ago

The official toppers are embarrassingly bad. They need to hire Back Alley Matt to do these.

#16748 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Low brow & art brute is actually my go to. Warhol was the cult of personality, a self certified “art world celebrity” His work was about commodification and therby conceptual in the way that he commodified himself as an artist. So no, I don’t believe he is overrated. He’s brilliant.

We’re veering off topic, but who would you consider good in this genre? I’m a fan of Doug Horne, Chet Phillips and Donny Gilles. Their stuff is all over my basement.

#16751 2 years ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

I like doing paint by numbers pictures.

String art, big-eyed children and black velvet Jesus. Lol.

#16756 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You're confusing Stern's goals with creative goals. Stern's goal is to make the most money by making toppers with as little BoM and as high a price as the market will bear. That's why their new model is just to use printed vertical plexi and some cheap leds. If you're lucky you get 3 layers of plexi for $750-$1000. The days of $499 GoT, Black Knight, and $700 R2D2 are gone.

In 10 years we’ll just put an NFT QR code on the apron that represents the topper.

#16818 2 years ago

What’s next after Mando?? Lol

#16855 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I’ve heard that Stranger Things is not to be re-run again. Not sure if that is accurate but it wouldn’t surprise me. Shame too, that title has really grown in popularity the last few months.

My friend told me it’s earning really well. It seems odd that Stern wouldn’t do at least one more run of Premiums for people that want them.

#16909 2 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Iron maiden, turtle ninja, Led Zeppelin, stranger things, black knight, the munsters...Mandolerian...stern needs to shoot better to grab my money

If you don’t think any of these games shoot well, pinball might not be for you.

#16927 2 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

but who is talking about shooting here? maybe my mistake language, but i was talking about theme, like all of us.

Ah sorry, I misunderstood. It seems like a lot of Stern’s themes are talked up on Pinside long before they happen. Maybe they should stop listening to us, lol.

#17292 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The ability to update later means they can keep the factory building/shipping & catch up finishing the game later.
Not saying I like it...it puts the customer in the position of spending a lot of money on an unfinished/untested machine, becoming a beta tester...but this is the reason.

It also gives them a chance to incorporate feedback from ops and owners, e.g. adding “I...Am...Groot!” to Guardians. But yeah, if your game is orphaned by Stern you’re boned. To be fair, they’ve done that a lot less in the last few years, mainly because they grew the software team.

#17299 2 years ago

$2500, price checks out.

#17444 2 years ago

I’d like to see a game with something squishy or fuzzy on or above the playfield. With shag carpet instead of mirror blades. Something really organic. Pretty sure I will need to make this myself and when I do, it will only last a few hundred games.

#17653 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

, better flipper heat management

Well, I was with you until here. I just bought your Tibetan Breeze fans because the coils on my STH overheat more than they did on LOTR. I don’t think anything has changed. I think the extra cost for dual-wound coils makes them a non-starter, sadly.

#17736 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Munsters was also the fastest pin from the time it came in until it was sold. It was around a month in to out. Earnings were THAT BAD.

Munsters was doing poorly at my friend’s arcade until we enabled the ball save, which inexplicably defaulted to off. But it’s one of the few games he’s sold, so I assume it didn’t do much better after that change. Personally, I liked it better than BKSOR.

#17764 2 years ago

Stern could make a lot of people put their pitchforks down if they just communicated 2 things at launch for every game:

1. “When the game is finished, this is what the rule set will be.”
2. “We expect to release the final code in X months/years.”

It’s the “will they or won’t they?” that has people upset, and rightfully so. Buying a game shouldn’t have to be a gamble.

I’d rather hear that the final code is going to be a year late, than not knowing if it will come at all.

#17777 2 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

The lower playfield is one of the best of all time toys in any machine imo. It is in fact a pinball machine in and of itself. Having 2 pinball machines in one, creates the best multiball experience of any pinball machines ever. It is nirvana to play multiball on upper and lower playfield at the same time. John Borg outdid himself on that one.

...and this is why I think GOT Pre/LE is one of the best modern Sterns. Multi-level multiball is really fun.

#17884 2 years ago

A distributor runs a business. The ones that get bigger allocations of LEs get them because they buy everything Stern sells, and some of those games sit in warehouses for over a year, just costing them money. And sometimes it’s the LE’s that sit and sit, until the game gets its legs (see STH LE).

All this to say that if I was a distributor and I know a game is going for $11k used, I’d be a pretty bad salesman to let it go for MSRP, NIB.

If you want your distributor to survive, don’t get mad at them for being tuned in to the market.

#17887 2 years ago
Quoted from K9Marshal:

Yes it’s a business - so your viewpoint is that unless the distributors (who I would think a lot do this as a side business) don’t grossly overcharge consumers that they won’t survive

I mean if you feel that you’re being “grossly overcharged”, the solution is obvious: sit tight and wait for the price to drop. That’s how I got my GOTLE with the topper for $7200.

And the distros who do this “as a side business” are not getting the LEs, I’m almost sure of that.

#17909 2 years ago
Quoted from honkbahh:

with a 1 year warranty,

Who’s going to tell him?

#17911 2 years ago
Quoted from honkbahh:

I mean through my distributor! Absolutely wouldn't hold my breath for stern support.

Oh wow. That’s actually pretty damned good.

#17922 2 years ago

There’s no denying the similarities between AFM and Stranger Things, but the differences are what make STH more fun to play for me. The motorized bank of stationary targets is replaced by the 4 drops. Shooting up the middle no longer destroys the enemy; now you get to do battle and shoot the enemy in the face. The square MARTIAN targets are replaced by narrower DEMODOG targets that make better use of the available space. The saucer on the far left adds a new primary shot, and that feeds the inner orbit with a little tweaking. And finally, STH has the cross-playfield skill shot. You can argue that this isn’t great for multiball, but it adds some chaos to the game and I like it.

Add in the UV kit, the LCD, the darker theme and the music and it’s a very different game than AFM.

#17939 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Obsessed:

Wouldn't mind an LE but I'll buy a premium model and I'll enjoy it just like I enjoy the Dead Pool premium pin and GNR LE (instead of CE) that I own.

I’m not picking on you, but this comment and many others in this thread make it sound like all Pinsiders ever buy are premiums and LEs. I take the exact opposite stance: I’m a Pro buyer, until I see something that persuades me to upgrade, like way better cabinet/translite art, or a major feature that has a lot of value (like 2 more flippers and an upper playfield). But normally, I’m stubbornly pro-Pro. I do know that Stern would struggle if everyone was like me, so I’m not out to stop the LE hype train. Just making observations.

#18163 2 years ago
Quoted from Zartan:

swampfire brought up “The Goonies”! I hope that is the next pin that comes out! One of my favourite movies, and I think a favourite for every 80’s kid!

If kids see more kids on pins, they’ll play more. Plus I want another Sean Aston pin to go with LOTR and STH (even though he’s hiding in the pops for STH).

#18182 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

It’s a magnet Stern, on the premium only. Excuse me if I’m not impressed to the $7800 dollar level. Piss off.

On the Pro whenever the ball bounces off a post up there, that’s baby Yoda doin’ it.

#18191 2 years ago

Magnets are cool if they introduce some chaos and risk, like IM and AS and MET. This one just seems to choose an inlane for you?

#18206 2 years ago

Hey man, this thread is about the NEXT Stern pin. Give me my Jimi Hendrix pin and a few tabs of acid to go with my LE.

#18208 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

There's even people on Pinside now saying "Maybe Baby Yoda does grab the ball after all" and "I think his hand does move". Stern includes even the most minor of features on their feature matrix charts, they sure as hell didn't miss Baby Yoda being interactive.

See my post above about “a few tabs of acid”

#18284 2 years ago

The cool thing about Blade Runner is that they could use the original and BR2049. I’d buy it for Rutger Hauer’s monologue alone. This scene would make an amazing wizard mode. “Time to Die”.

I would also take “Hobo With a Shotgun”.

#18390 2 years ago

OMG, no Will Ferrell movies you guys. I’ve seen that guy in his white underpants enough for 10 lifetimes.

#18431 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

No expulsion....they’ll just cover him head to toe in maple syrup and slapshot pucks at him...while blasting Rush.

“My brother and I used to say that drownin' in beer was like heaven, eh? Now he's not here, and I've got two soakers... this isn't heaven, this sucks.”

#18453 2 years ago

Boo, haters. I’d buy a Rush pin even if it was just a reskin of Heavy Metal (which was itself a reskin).

#18502 2 years ago

If Stern did “Cicadas: Brood X” they could release a vault edition every 17 years.

#18509 2 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Do you folks think that the frequency of Stern releases is just right? Too many? Not enough? What would your ideal be?
Seems that they don't even need to be producing any new machines right now with the demand for the current catalog.

Just right. Every few years they release a game I love enough to own, and that’s plenty for me. The other 6 or 7 I’m happy to play on location or in a friend’s home.

#18526 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

TOOL is just RUSH for Juggalos.

Hahahaha, “f’ing magnets, how do they work?”

#18556 2 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

I love the B-Boys music so much I changed all the music in my METLE to beasties.

Pinchamp’s Metallica before he changed it back...
E4DE3D9F-892D-4102-B6E8-808E99A63ECD (resized).pngE4DE3D9F-892D-4102-B6E8-808E99A63ECD (resized).png

(confession: I’ve considered loading some Jimi Hendrix into my MET or AS to see how his songs would flip)

1 week later
#18636 2 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

Maybe it's still a 40+ dominated hobby.

Nah, it’s because it’s mostly the 40+ crowd that have the cash flow to buy a NIB game. I know some young guys are crypto millionaires, but most of us were still on a tight budget in our 30s. I was exactly 40 when I bought my first NIB (LOTR), and I thought it would be a one-time thing. I didn’t buy my next NIB game (Metallica) until I was debt-free (house and cars paid off).

#18667 2 years ago

I know I’m just dreaming, but I’d love to see a Spike2 version of Dirty Harry. Or any action movie that doesn’t have superheroes. I like a pin with car chases and explosions and helicopters.

#18670 2 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

BLUES BROTHERS!!!

Yes! With a “Jake’s Excuses” mode!!

#18707 2 years ago
Quoted from shlt_thunder:

I’d personally love to see them get away from classic rock and do some more timeless stuff like Ludwig van Beethoven, Celine Dion, or Tom Jones. Stuff everyone would like.

If you’re gonna troll, at least troll in the right direction:

8E0E1CDE-47F4-4BD4-BF99-5B1A2F6F3EED (resized).jpeg8E0E1CDE-47F4-4BD4-BF99-5B1A2F6F3EED (resized).jpeg
#18733 2 years ago

ELO, like Queen, was a high energy band. That’s why they’d be so great for pinball. But yeah, it would be a very niche audience.

1 month later
#19050 2 years ago

What are the odds that I’ll get my John Borg / Lyman Sheats Rush dream pin in 2022? I’m in on pretty much anything they release together, but Rush would be amazing.

#19056 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Where did all the BTTF talk start? Is everyone just trying to wish it into existence or was there a legit leak at one point in the past?

It’s a big misunderstanding, BTTF is “BeTween Two Ferns”.

#19096 2 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

I must be the only person that thought Dragon’s Lair and Space Ace sucked. I do remember how excited I was the first time I played it and saw it and the display, but also how ultimately disappointed I was in the reality of the gameplay and how limiting it felt in comparison to other arcade games at the time.

I just hated losing 50 cents in 20 seconds. And then waiting in line to do it again!

#19103 2 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

new wave toys is awesome. I have 1942 and 1943 coming.

You were able to order early due to past purchases, right? I’m waiting to get notified that I can order one. I put in my order for Q*Bert today.

2 months later
#21916 2 years ago

My solution to the LE problem is simple: pretend they don’t exist. But if one pops up on the market under retail and you like it, go for it. I love my GOTLE ($7200 with the topper!), but I haven’t seen any LE that was so much better than the Premium that I’d feel I was missing out.

#21967 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Rush has me less excited than competitive marble racing

Boo, you need to shred your Classic Rock card Jeff. No marbles on ‘96 Rock when we were both growing up. Also send me your 96 Rock license plate, you’re no longer worthy. Typed this with one eye closed

#22004 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

I'm not one for music pins but I really enjoyed the netflix doc "If I leave here tomorrow." and I think Lynyrd Skynrd is definately pin worthy.
[quoted image]

I’ll have to watch that. I’d rank them in the top 3 Southern Rock bands, along with Atlanta Rhythm Section and the Allman Brothers. Some day I’ll make a Southern Rock pin. And I’m a “damned yankee”, moved to GA when I was 10. I think Southern Rock is something special.

EDIT: honorable mentions for Marshall Tucker Band and ZZ Top.

#22009 2 years ago
Quoted from MooButt:

I bought the center post mod, that coupled with the new code has made GB an awesome pin.

I support this! I think GBLE is a lot of fun. Do whatever you have to to make it less mean.

#22012 2 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

What’s wrong with a pin being mean? I don’t understand this.

Actually I love mean pins (TWD for example), but GB seems to push it into “unfair” territory with that huge flipper gap. I have a Congo, and GB seems much wider than that.

#22015 2 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

All that being said, I personally don’t think that gap on GB is as big and bad as people make it out to be.

It can’t be that bad, I play my friend’s unmodded LE when I’m at his house, and I still love it. It helps to have a lengthy ball save.

1 week later
#22083 2 years ago

[EDIT: just got halfway through episode 7, and now I regret posting this. It was great until the creepy Americans showed up]

B5E32C42-449C-4DD4-9884-FE192A262140 (resized).jpegB5E32C42-449C-4DD4-9884-FE192A262140 (resized).jpeg

#22095 2 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

I’m just not sure I get the offense taken as it was a caricature, just like many others in the film. Also that was a caricature that was supposed to outrage (which it rather obviously succeeded at).

I’ve got a few episodes to go, so maybe I’ll enjoy how they end up. That room with the live models was cool - kind of an homage to Kubrick (Clockwork Orange, Eyes Wide Shut). All I know for sure is that the pickpocket girl is really cute.

6 months later
#26394 2 years ago

Would love to have seen “The Who”. My picks for this game if it happens:

Baba O’Riley
Won’t Get Fooled Again
Who Are You
Long Live Rock
The Real Me
Magic Bus
I’m Free
Bargain
Another Tricky Day
Eminence Front
Love, Reign O'er Me (wizard mode)
Boris the Spider (end of game)

My guess is that they’re too hard to deal with, or the license is too expensive. But there’s always hope.

#26405 2 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

Wait….so no Venom from Stern or is it another Disney/Star War/Marvel tittle like Andor or What if…?

Stern’s sucked most of the marrow out of that Marvel bone. It’d be nice to see more streaming (GOT / TWD / STH), but I know those haven’t been the best licenses.

#26410 2 years ago
Quoted from BasementFacts:

I'm inclined to think a layer of grime actually protects the playfield

That’s definitely been true for some older games I’ve picked up. My Embryon had a beautiful playfield under all the grime. Bally’s “TuffCoat” seems to have held up really well.

#26433 2 years ago

Themes that started as graphic novels (comics), were released as a movie or streaming, and then became pins:

The Walking Dead
Deadpool

What have I missed, and what could be next? American Gods? Sweet Tooth?

#26511 2 years ago

Mando art was beautifully done, and I’m not even a fan of the game or the show. I agree the LE is stunning to look at.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Drumstarr mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

Machine - For Sale
Linthicum Heights, MD
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Blaine, WASHINGTON
$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 47.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Space Coast Pinball

$ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Peekskill, NY
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine?tu=swampfire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.