balls...gif
balls..gif
IMG_4484 (resized).jpeg
Disney boy Seth Davis (resized).jpeg
Backinblack (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #33984 Stern's new factory information Posted by Grantman (1 year ago)

Post #36014 TRAILER: Foo Fighters Pin teaser trailer Posted by Yoko2una (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sinestro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#764 6 years ago
Quoted from comment23:

Gary has already said that if they do vault editions, they would keep the technology on the same platform (WhiteStar as in the case with LOTR).

Yup. Except when it isn't, like Batman '66.

Stern seems willing to re-theme a game to extremes and move platforms. Let's hope they do it again sometime......without the '66 pricing fiasco.

2 months later
#1103 6 years ago

They need to upgrade Tron ala Batman '66. LCD with scenes from Legacy as well as custom animation. Lighted ramps as well as all color changing LED's under the inserts. Custom made light cycles. Full arcade machine mod.

Regular VE stay on the same hardware, as Stern has stated, but Batman '66 shows they will upgrade under the right conditions. What conditions are better than Tron?

2 weeks later
#1132 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

I doubt people are going to jump feet first at the next release of such a high priced item coming from a company that can't keep their promises and corrects their problems by changing their legal lingo.

Doubt what you want. Doesn't change reality. A Tron upgraded in such a way would fly off the factory floor.

#1134 6 years ago

I wouldn't be so sure. The high rollers got burnt with BM66 and I doubt they will have repeated customers at that price point with the way Stern is treating their high end customers now. And reality has changed whether you want to face those facts or not is up to you. I can just point at the Stern's expo attendance VS JJPs as one example. I'm just being realistic about the entire thing. Just answer this question for me
How do you charge some clients $18,000, promise then bi-weekly code updates until it's done, make said clients wait more than 365 days for beta code (and counting), not honour those promises, not make an update available at Expo and still think they will support you on your next release?

You're a long term Stern basher. Your opinion is a forgone conclusion, and thus utterly devoid of merit.

I've said it before and others agree with me. A updated Tron would fly off the factory floor.

#1136 6 years ago

You still haven't answered my question.

I don't care about the Batman '66 code issues. They aren't relevant to Tron being successful.

#1138 6 years ago

Still haven't answered my question..

You must be hard of hearing.

I don't Pardon you (resized).JPGI don't Pardon you (resized).JPG

#1140 6 years ago

And your just trolling Stern love with nothing to back it up apart from smoke and mirrors. So I guess we'll leave it at that. LMAO.

Well, when you outsell the competition 10-1......there's really nothing else you need to back it up.

#1142 6 years ago

Ask Blackberry how that worked for them when Apple came out with the Iphone and get back to me.

Stern level of incompetence isn't even in the same galaxy as Blackberry's!

And the competition doesn't have a Steve Jobs....so pointless comparison.

#1144 6 years ago

let's try this again..
"How do you charge some clients $18,000, promise then bi-weekly code updates until it's done, make said clients wait more than 365 days for beta code (and counting), not honour those promises, not make an update available at Expo and still think they will support you on your next release?"
Your current answers

Do you really think those are viable?

I'm sorry. I was typing too fast. I'll type slower so that you small brain can process my reply.

Here we go......typing slower in 3...2....1

I don't care about the Batman '66 code issue. Stern always has code issues, and it doesn't stop them from selling games. Repeating your question over and over again isn't ineffective. It exposes your one track brain to Pinside.

If you continue to have trouble reading this reply, please let me know. I can type it in French, Canuk, and gender neutral gobbleygook. Whatever you prefer.

#1146 6 years ago

My question was not directed at you but in regards to the owners and how they feel and if you feel like they would all go jumping on the opportunity of being the first to own the next Super LE title...
We clearly know how you feel but how do you think they feel?

Moi, d'autres acheteurs sévères, c'est pareil. Le code est toujours un problème. Ne les empêche pas de vendre des jeux.

#1151 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

said every industry giant and their hysterical fanboys immediately prior to competitors entering the market and devouring them.

Good luck.

#1164 6 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Why Elvira?? They say they want new blood buying and playing pins, yet Elvira? I dobut most 20 -30 something's even know who she is.
Now before I get a bunch of downvotes, I understand the previous Elviras were fun pins, not debating that. I just question the selection.

It's the 40+ crowd that's buying the games. Cassandra Peterson was a big draw at TPF earlier this year. The demographics support her and a campy/spooky based pin.

Elvira 3 is being done by the same team that did the first two. They brought it to Stern to get it made. Might be more of a boutique pin, which Stern does occasionally now. We'll know more next year.

1 week later
#1171 6 years ago

Elvira

#1174 6 years ago
Quoted from kid_ego:

I'm guessing Elvira will be at Expo next October. Something else for spring 2018.

Someone on Pinside questioned DN about when Elvira would be released when they announced it at TPF in March. IIRC, DN said it was a year away.

Perhaps that means a debut at TPF '18. Maybe it was to be later, but whatever game Trudeau was working on may have been scrapped/pushed back, bumping up Elvira?

Who knows, though.

#1179 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I think this is the most likely scenario especially since Lyman is doing the code for Elvira. Stern can't afford to have him on two back to back projects that release with minimal code. Besides, launching Elvira near Halloween makes the most sense from a marketing standpoint.

October seems too late, IMO. Pros don't ship until a month or so after the announcement, LE's and Premiums take much longer, I.E. January and February.

Announcing it in the Spring, getting all three into production by the summer, builds up nicely to October.

#1193 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

But that only gives Lymsn 5-6 months on code. If they announce in October, he has closer to a year.

Eh, Dwight did back to back code on GOT then GB.

1 month later
#1316 6 years ago
Quoted from dfsays:

There are no bands realistically left after Maiden (and they're questionable).
Edit: Okay, Pink Floyd is still hanging out there (but I'll pass on Zepp).

Van Halen.

2 weeks later
#1337 6 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

What’s everyone’s best guess on when the next machine will be announced?
If it isn’t until TPF which is mid March doesn’t that kind of setup a rather compressed 2018 for rolling out 3-4 new machines?
Being GOTG was Oct 17 I really thought Jan/feb we would know something.

Stern's pattern over the last few years is to do 2 or 3 main games, not including VE's and boutique pins like Nellie.

If their first game comes out real early in year, then there will be 3 games. If the first game comes out in the Spring, then it's only 2.

Examples:

2012: AC/DC, X-Men, Avengers
2013: Metallica, Star Trek
2014: Mustang, Walking Dead
2015: Wrestlemania, KISS, Game of Thrones
2016: Ghostbusters, Batman '66
2017: Areosmith, Star Wars, Guardians of the Galaxy.

So, unless they announce something soon, It looks like 2018 will be a 2 game year.

#1347 6 years ago

It's looking like a 2 game year, with the first game at TPF.

We know one of them is Elvira, from a rare case of pre-announcement from the designers.

We just don't know if it's the Spring game, or the Fall.

#1349 6 years ago
Quoted from twinmice:

Elvira wont be until 2019

Nope. 2018.

#1356 6 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Elvira is almost certainly going to be the "boutique" pin, so not one of the 2 or 3 normal releases.

I seriously doubt that.

#1359 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Ok we need to save this and see what happens... podcasts says 2019.... I'm excited to see elvira asap!

Podcasts?

Nordman said last year at TPF that the game would be out this year.

He also said it wasn't a Whiz-Bang joint venture, just a regular Stern, so that rules out a boutique pin.

#1390 6 years ago
Quoted from nman:

Well, i think Disney owns the Deadpool film rights now, but not sure how that would affect the voice actors.

Not yet. The will take a year to go through all the regulators and opposition.

Until then, by law, they have to compete like always.

#1413 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Is Elvira the Elwin game?

Dennis Nordman, who designed the first two Elvira games, is designing the third.

#1432 6 years ago
Quoted from taz:

Owner reaction to the piss poor release of BM66 and GOTG was not good, as you can see from numerous threads here on Pinside.

Nobody's saying that about Batman '66 anymore....code updates have been trickling out and more video content added.

3 weeks later
#1469 6 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

What other recent pin has 4 flippers ?

GOT Premium/LE.

#1528 6 years ago
Quoted from thunderking50:

Everyone's Theme choice are different you got to respect that !
All the ones your in favor does 0 nada nothing at all for me , just like the ones in your collection but Maiden is an awesome them for me .

His choices are right in the money for me. Also, Maiden blows donkey balls.

#1532 6 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I don't think Stern has it. But it's HB, controlled by WB, and if it had the same restrictions as Jetsons it's not worth pursuing.

Are you able to elaborate on the restrictions? Curious.

#1640 6 years ago

Jeez, at this point I just want Stern to release IM so we can start talking about the next game. IM does nothing for me.

#1673 6 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Is this how you feel?
» YouTube video

I would buy a Natalie Imbruglia pin in a second. Beautiful lady, beautiful voice.

#1699 6 years ago

The only music pin that's going to sell out this year is Alice Cooper.

#1764 6 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Not if it plays and looks like Rob Zombies pin, p about as drained out as his vocals are during a live show, and I like Rob Zombie music but not great live act let’s face it.

It doesn't look or play like Zombie's game. We already know a brief overview of the rules from Ben Heck's interview, and we've seen flashes of the HD display. Nothing like that horrible faux color-DMD that Zombie had.

1 week later
#1866 6 years ago

stern (resized).jpgstern (resized).jpg

#1868 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

2016 Ghostbusters playfield problems, 2017 Trudeau arrest - both those years did not hit this mark - 2016, especially, was a Stern dumpster fire. They're still struggling to finish the 2016 and 2017 machines they threw out the door with unfinished code. Can they do 3 in 2018 that will sell?

Only if one of them is Elvira 3.

#1871 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

With Deeproot taking one of the designers, it sounds like Elvira 3 has either moved to Deeproot or is in trouble at Stern. TPF will be a good indicator - if there's silence, it's not coming in 2018.

Hard to say. Word is Nordman turned in the design over a year ago to Stern. Whether they wind up making it or not remains to be seen.

#1872 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

That pic is hilarious. Where's it from?
Also, at least according to Wikipedia Stern put out at least three games in 2015 (WrestleMania, Kiss, GOT, plus Whoa Nellie), 2016 (SM Vault, GB, BM 66), and 2017 (Aerosmith, Star Wars, GOTG, plus AC/DC vault). So I wouldn't bet against them doing the same in 2018.

When Stern is using the term "Cornerstone", Vaults(Spider-man, AC/DC) and Boutique runs (Nellie) aren't included in that count.

#1874 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Ah, that is more ambitious then. So no vaults this year, only new releases?
At least we can tell from the silhouettes that they're not doing a wide body ...

I think there could still be vaults.

I'm skeptical about them having three cornerstone releases in 2018. Usually, when they have three in a year (like 2012, 2015, 2017), the first one is already out or been announced by now.

#1876 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Since AC/DC was last year (even if Luci was put out this year - I think just to strech things out), my guess would be that we will see 3 games this year: 2 new titles and a vault.

Agreed.

But not three cornerstone titles.

#1888 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Vaults are not cornerstones. Cornerstones are always new non-contract, non-boutique (Kapow, etc) Stern titles.

Batman '66 was not a boutique. It was joint venture to some degree, but not a boutique. It has been made in regular numbers like any other cornerstone.

#1900 6 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

You may think what you want but it's still a normal cornerstone title. (Wich is basically a "new" game you can order from your favorite pinball retailer.)
It's definately not a usual Stern game but then again, it was the 30th anniversary and with JJP expanding to the higher price market, why shouldn't Stern? Batman Premium is still available, not limited, made inside Stern so what exactly is 'boutique' here?
Non-Cornerstone are Vaults and Titles you don't buy via Stern itself and/ or usual retailers like Pabst Blue Ribbon, Supreme, even Spiderman Home in a way.

Well said.

#1903 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

So now you're redefining Whoa Nellie as NOT a boutique (when it is/was), because you could buy it from Stern and usual retailers? They probably still have some in the warehouse.
http://www.sternpinball.com/games/whoa-nellie/whoa

I define Boutique as a smaller run, original title.

#1961 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It doesn't sound like this year to me, and Gomez was doing significant verbal acrobatics to come up with the words he used, so it sounds like there are problems. My opinion.

I was there. Didn’t get that impression. He reiterated twice the Elvira 3 will be made.

#1966 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I didn't say it wouldn't be made AT ALL. I said it doesn't look like this year, based on his answer yesterday. And given that it has no software and no engineer almost 1/3 of the way through 2018, I think that's right. 2019 at the earliest.

Agreed. 2019.

#2005 6 years ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

Question from the audience was: Could future vaults possible have a release with an lcd instead of dmd.
Answer was: "take for example a LOTR vault -like some of you would like-, it would be too difficult to link lcd animations/vids to the existing software"..
That's the only thing that was said, nothing more.

He said it would be difficult to do, not a quick and easy port, and it would be more than just a “Vault” if they did something like that. Translation: it would be like Batman ‘66.

#2027 6 years ago
Quoted from mkecasey:

Stern will be announcing the new game at the Stern Pro Circuit Finals
https://www.facebook.com/sternpinball/videos/10156362080184244/

I saw that. Seems odd that they didn't just announce it at TPF.

#2031 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

Marketing 101... don’t share the stage when you can have it all to yourself. Apple did the same with CES a few years ago and has never released there since. I suspect Stern will do the same more often now that they have the Stern Pro Circuit.

I can't think of any time during the modern era where Apple has been at CES.

#2067 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

You have to wait close to summer before you can say that. Nothing official about Deadpool yet.

At best. Stern has yet to release a summer game when their first one of the year comes out in March/April time period.

#2089 6 years ago

The next Stern pinball game will be........your mom.

#2095 6 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Next theme is Morrissey. It's a Pinsiders dream theme full of whining, complaining, and crying.

Can I upvote you more than once?

#2103 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Did you mean to type Mr. Mom because if thats the case I'm in.

With a twist.....instead of poker, he teaches the other stay-at-home moms to play pinball!

#2112 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

F&F isn’t happening.

Not till the 10th movie.

1 week later
#2143 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

Why can't Stern do a non licensed theme every other game? you would think this would keep the costs down on these games instead of getting bent over by aging greedy rock stars and Hollywood idiots.

Licensed games sell better, especially internationally.

#2157 5 years ago
Quoted from LongJohns:

I have heard Elvira themed game November this year.

They haven't even assigned a programmer yet for it, per Gomez last month.

Sounds like a 2019 pin.

3 weeks later
#2217 5 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Didn’t someone who had supposedly seen the playfield design post a while back saying it looked very Gomez like??

One rumor was that it was originally a Trudeau layout, that Gomez stepped in and de-Trudeau'ed.

#2221 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Is it too soon for Borg to copy Lawlors' Dialed In layout?

Why would anyone copy that hot mess?

#2243 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

They could do the OG series or the films with the OG cast and I would be happy, I would be happy with a StarTrek Wrath of Khan pin, Khan taunting you on the LCD as you battle, Oh man that would be amazing. Perhaps a ST Vault rethemed?

My friend and I have though a lot about a Wrath of Khan pin. We would place an LED panel with 5 digits corresponding the the Prefix code. You have to hit the targets below each digit to activate it.

#2259 5 years ago
Quoted from Deadrock:

Fun fact...the Beatles (and their relatives) are not the owners of the Beatles catalog. The catalog was owned by Michael Jackson and then sold to Sony. (https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/7662519/beatles-catalog-paul-mccartney-brief-history-ownership).
Not sure who owns the rights to their likeness.

There are MANY right to songs. I believe Michael Jackson only owned the publishing rights.

2 weeks later
#2330 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Should be easy. We'll just round up Nimoy, Scatman, Robert Stack & Orsen Welles and record some VOs.

Those are mainly from the movie.

Cullen and Welker still alive and active.

2 months later
#2371 5 years ago

Stern has consistently said 3 cornerstone titles this year.

That means a debut no later than December.

4 weeks later
#2402 5 years ago

Best I can piece together, this should be the order of Stern games through the end of 2019.

Fall 2018 - Munsters. This is currently the worst kept secret in Pinball

Winter 2019 - Beatles. Not 100%, but the rumors are strong on this one.

Summer 2019 - Steve Ritchie's unlicensed game. Ritchie has said on more than one occasion that his next game is unlicensed, and that he's having a blast making it. Summer 2019 would be two years since Star Wars, and approximately Ritchie's turnaround time.

Fall 2019 - Elvira 3. Cassandra Peterson and Dennis Nordman revealed this game was in the works at TPF 2017, and Gomez confirmed it at TPF 2018. A fall release makes sense for this theme (ala Munsters this year) and Cassandra has also mentioned this date recently. Set phasers to kill, I think this one is a lock for next fall.

Of course, there will be a VE next year, and always the chance of a home or boutique pin as well.

What do you guys think? Solid guesses, or malarkey?

#2414 5 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

But where does Brian Eddys game fall in your predictions? Before or after Steve’s next game?

After Elvira 3. Perhaps first game of 2020?

#2415 5 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Oh good, they can include Paul McCartney's new song bashing Trump.

I didn't say I was buying it.

#2432 5 years ago

4 cornerstone titles in in one year seems a stretch.

Elvira 3 is fall of 2019 for sure.

#2443 5 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Jaws would be one of the coolest titles if JJ does it... I wouldn't be crazy about a Stern version, might end up as bad as Star Wars.

I would have no problem with Stern doing Jaws.

And as for Star Wars, Universal isn't Disney.

#2447 5 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

I'm not sure what you mean by that line... but let say this Disney didn't do Star Wars Fox did, and Jaws when you re-adjust box office for inflation is the 7th Biggest movie of ALL-TIME! Doesn't matter if its Disney or Universal Jaws is a classic! Jaws is the movie that started the concept of summer movies.
Jaws might be one of the best acted movies ever, and I'd really hate to see Stern do that title. The movie is a serious film unlike Deadpool, or Batman 66... I'd love to see a Jaws game but would rather see a widebody game with lots of features tied to the film. There is no better music I can think of that Jaws for a pinball!!! LOL
I would like a Jaws pinball.

Slow down there, hoss.

You were complaining about the Star Wars pinball game, and I pointed out that Disney owns the license now, and they were difficult to work with, explaining that's why the game didn't come out as great as it could have.

Also, the seriousness of a film has nothing to do with wether or not Stern should make it or someone else.

Your arguments and comments are kinda all over the place. You might want to stay more focused.

#2454 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Even though the rules aren’t great, I’d buy one NIB in a heartbeat. Even if it’s just The Bumblebee movie because, Soundwave.

stern-pinball-superior-jjp-inferior (resized).jpgstern-pinball-superior-jjp-inferior (resized).jpg
#2456 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

[quoted image]

IMG_1037 (resized).JPGIMG_1037 (resized).JPG
1 month later
#2478 5 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

goronic I keep thinking it will be Tron. I mean LotR would be possible but by current Stern pricing and configuration standards it would cost $8000 at least. I guess the answer to that question is how many Spider-Man they sold for $7000 but they didn’t have to license anything because they switched all the art and call outs.

They had to license Spider-Man from Marvel still.

#2480 5 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Tron makes the most sense as a vault. What other pins does stern have at this point that would make sense as a vault? Nothing but lotr comes to mind. It was weird they called star trek a vault when there were no changes and it had only left production for a year.

I guess a vault is a vault anytime it's been discontinued and comes back.

#2495 5 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

sinestro They didn’t really have to do the full license because they didn’t do the movie. They did Spider-Man ultimate comic license. This had to cost much less with no likeness rights or movie studios involved.

There was never a "full" license. There was two licencors on the original game. Marvel, for the underlying property, and Sony for the movie assets.

Agree with you completely it was cheaper to just have Marvel to deal with. Also, the Tobey Maguire (and Andrew Garfield) era was over, so it didn't seem like a cop-out on Stern's part.

1 week later
#2521 5 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

This doesn't apply to you then.

Actually, it does. His opinion is valid.

#2541 5 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Interesting I thought they were done with the SAM DMD vaults...

Probably depends on how many SAM boards they still have in inventory. I doubt they make new ones....just using up NOS.

1 month later
#2569 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I wonder if this unlicensed Ritchie game will be his swan song? He has to be contemplating retirement soon.

When asked about retirement, Steve has said that Harry Williams is an inspiration to him, since he made games well into his 70's.

Steve turns 69 next month. I think he's got a few more left in him.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#2579 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I am sitting here wondering why nobody has made a pin featuring the #1 grossing movie of the 80s.... ET?

Stern could fill the playfield with 50's style trap holes to recreate the Atari 2600 experience of E.T.

#2583 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I think you could make this happen! I wasn't a big ET fan, but it struck me as odd that it doesn't get much love considering its popularity and rank at the time. I'm still firmly in the camp of Goonies being the top choice for an 80's license that needs to happen.

Pinball was in the shitter in 1982. That's why it never got made.

1 week later
#2609 5 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

For sure, use Jaws a movie that hasn't been in theaters in 40 years, to attract the younger crowd.

Everybody knows Jaws.

#2620 5 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I highly doubt that. I'll ask some younger family members.

Just go "Duh-nuh. Duh-Nuh. Duh-Nun."

Everybody knows the music, shark, and name.

1 week later
#2647 5 years ago

Dots suck.................johnson.

1 week later
#2681 5 years ago
Quoted from Aussiepinwiz:

Sure does!
Any title with 3000 in it will be really odd in the year 2019.

Why? What did 2000 have to do with 1989?

#2692 5 years ago

Black Knight 2000 sounded better than Black Knight 2.

And 3000 sounds better than 3. So essentially, nothing to see here.

#2694 5 years ago

Black Knight's Revenge sounds better for the 3rd game.

Nah. Black Knight Rises.

#2717 5 years ago
Quoted from markymark2400:

A an actual Top Gun with footage from the film "Feel the need for speed" mode, Viper, Hollywood, Merlin Goose and Maverick, I think that would be a great pin! Other ideas, Knight Rider, Airwolf...
just some that are my dream themes.

And the volleyball scene too, right?

#2718 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

And the volleyball scene too, right?

“Playing with the boys”

#2732 5 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Any ideas what this could be? I googled purple martin. It's a bird.
[quoted image]

Angry Birds

#2740 5 years ago
Quoted from jbug:

What time frame is being discussed? The list is for potentially upcoming games with one confirmed.

The time from is the NEXT Stern....and Elvira 3 isn't next.

#2797 5 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Sure hoping an original Steve Richie table is next and being shown at TPF. Any rumors bearing that out?

Stern doesn't announce new games at TPF. They show off and promote their most recent games that are already in production. New announcements (like last year's Iron Maiden) come later. This is smart, as it lets the dust settle from their competitor's announcements, then Stern announces a new game that actually starts shipping.

#2824 5 years ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

I would be interested in downloading new GB code, other than that all my money will be going to JJP or spooky

Then you're in the wrong thread.

1 month later
#2960 4 years ago
Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 6.17.55 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-04-02 at 6.17.55 PM (resized).png
#2965 4 years ago

II would have been so much better if Richard Donner hasn’t been fired. Even his Director’s Cut is only a partial glance of what could have been.

#2974 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

TRON VE would sell a fraction of what a Spike LotR vault would sell.

A properly upgraded Tron (ala Batman '66) would outsell any other vault.

#2996 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Back to the Future -> Plz not from Stern...

If you want JJP to do it, better hope you have a Delorean to travel years into the future to retrieve it.

#3000 4 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

You never know. Back to the future would be great for 2020.

2020 would be too optimistic.

#3002 4 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Plenty of time to make it work!

Only at Stern.

#3020 4 years ago

JJP's Pirates is terrible....just terrible.

#3036 4 years ago

Cameron acknowledged the story has been used before. However, now that the everything has been established, he says the sequels are free to get crazy and be very unique.

Only a fool bets against Cameron. Nobody saw Titanic or Avatar becoming the highest grossing pic in their respective era.

And as for it being too long since his last movie....that's part of Cameron's mystic.

#3040 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Three words. Alita:Battle Angel.

Not directed by James Cameron.

#3043 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

His name's all over it, and he has the lead writing credit (which is really more like an adaptation credit), which is enough to indict him. It's clearly his baby, and it sucks.

It's not a "James Cameron" directed film, period.

If it was, it would never have been released in February. Coming 10 years after Avatar, it would have marketed as an event film, and given a cushy Christmas or summer release.

I haven't seen the film, but I'm sure it would have been better if he directed it.

So, yeah, bad counter-argument on your part.

Again, to sum up, only fools bet against James Cameron directed films. I am gladly accepting bets on the performance of Avatar 2.

#3053 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

I'm very disappointed in Black Knight gameplay. Doesnt look like my kind of game.

So cool games aren't your thing?

#3054 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Check out the black knight thread. I'm not alone in this sentiment. The pro seems like the better pin but it was an extremely anti climactic reveal. I'm just bummed. I was ready to love it bit I have to play it now first to see. Not feeling though. It just doesnt seem like the kind of game I enjoy.

Black Knight thread has been very positive, with only a few naysayers.

#3063 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Really. Stern could literally crap in a box and Sinestro would be in love.

Seems like you have experience in this area. But hey man....whatever floats (or in this case doesn't float) your boat!

#3066 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

How did you derive from my statement that I would have experience in "that area"?
Nice try, but you failed.

It seems to be on your mind.

[Edited] AussiePinwiz's post about the "usual ones" was referring to the Stern-bashing JJP fanbois. You thought it was about Stern supporters, and liked his comment and quoted it to bash me.

[Edited] 

#3069 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

You've shown your colors enough around here. Go lick Gary's boot some more.

Whatever, Mom Jeans.

#3077 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Ok. A 20yr old non Stern game has it. What's your point?

His point would be that it can't be that expensive.

So your "inside info" is probably not accurate.

#3098 4 years ago

The rumor mill has Lyman doing code for Elvira 3. Lyman said in a recent podcast, that his next game was a special release, not a cornerstone. If that is in fact, Elvira 3, it will probably be a release like Batman '66 (with no Pro), and probably come out closer to October.

That leaves time for a mid-summer cornerstone release, which could be Brian Eddy's game.

Just speculation, but a lot seems to fit. It's going to be an interesting year either way.

#3107 4 years ago
Quoted from Wakky:

It's not. Just another pin side rumour ...

Stern has the license. As to when and if it’s made, hard to say.

1 week later
#3127 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Stern won’t be making the lcd version some Tron fans crave.

Early 2016:

"Stern won't be making the LCD version some Batman fans crave."

#3135 4 years ago
Quoted from acedanger:

The balls could be the infinity stones with a guantlet that would lock them.

If Thanos snaps his fingers, half your score goes away.

#3139 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I am hoping it comes up as the next title-mid summer?

One can hope..........

2 weeks later
#3180 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

When/If I get a Stern pin I will go with HUO and check it out
before buying to avoid some of these NIB horror stories

Mostly hyperbole spread by anti-Stern types, and clueless people spreading FUD.

No issues with NIB here with my SPIKE games or anyone else I know that has them.

#3191 4 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Thanks for shitting on me bruh. Real classy.

No problem, "bruh".

#3192 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Meet Sinestro. You will find the ignore button.

And yet you haven't yet. So why don't you practice what you preach?

1 week later
#3239 4 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Maybe a sequel to Medival Madness for Brian Eddy.

That would be back to back medieval themes for Stern. I doubt they'd do that. I mean, when has Stern ever done back to back themes?

***COUGH X-Men****

***COUGH Avengers***

#3259 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

If that's true, then Brian Eddy's pin is now the end of the year? That seems weird. Elvira seems like a much better fit for Pinball Expo in October.

Two ways to look at that. One is announcing in October along with all the Halloween activity.

Another would be to announce in say late August and have all three models up and running on the line (not just Pros) for the month of October when people are in the mood to buy something with a spooky theme.

3 weeks later
#3389 4 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I think anything Stern sets out to build a couple thousand units of should be considered major. It goes through their distribution channels.
They give the Beatles a prominent place in their games page, unlike Supreme and the Whoa Nellie derivatives.

The Beatles was a major release, just not a cornerstone.

#3401 4 years ago

Neither Beatles not Batman ‘66 were cornerstone releases. That are also not similar to each other.

#3453 4 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Something about a Jaws pin just pulls you in..

Agreed. 100%

1 week later
#3654 4 years ago

No issues with Jurassic Park/World theme. You don’t have to like ever movie to admit that the theme translates well to pinball and has broad name recognition. No doubt, some Pinsiders will still bitch.

#3685 4 years ago

I read quite a while back that a lot of the assets are going to come from her DVD set released about 15 years ago. It's a collection of public domain horror movies (including Night of the Living Dead) and she was still young enough (around 50) to look good in the footage shot back then.

#3782 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Jurasic World was ok (not great) but the sequel Jurasic Fallen Kingdom was horrible

The 2nd one was good as well, with some great action sequences in the first half, and a "haunted house" type 2nd half.

At least they were trying something different.

#3932 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:Breaking News:
Okay I have a somewhat inside source here is what I'm hearing.
Stern has been releasing three games a year, and they're already at two this year with Black Knight and Munsters. That means there is only one more game coming from them. You will see that game in October and it will be Elvira 3. So the breaking news if what I'm being told is true is there will be no JW or Stranger Things. This makes sense because there is no reason what so ever to push out J World because the move came out a year ago now, and the next one isn't out until 2021. Common sense would tell you, would be nice to hitch a ride on that train.
I think you're going to see Elvira in October at Chicago, then in the winter you'll see Stranger Things.
Here is what I learned, in the old days, a pinball company only had one line, they made one game, today Stern makes multiple games. Currently they have everything from Beatles, Deadpool, Black Knight, Munsters, Guardians, Batman, Star Trek, Star Wars all these games on the line. They have orders from all these games and their lines are tied up until late summer, September. They're a business about making money not new pinball games every few weeks.
Lastly, a lot of these places that have bought games, honestly they're running out of room to take on more games, there is already a lot to choose from. If Stern started making 4 or 5 new games a year they're doing nothing but cannibalizing themselves, they know the market.
So here is the bottom line Stern is probably not going to be releasing a new title until October when you'll see Elvira. Use some common sense here... are they really going to release a game here in August then turn around 2 months later and release Elvira.
I doubt it.
So we can pretty much stop going nuts and just look towards October for Elvira 3. If I'm wrong I'm wrong but that is what I've learned. I would probably bet my life on it that if you don't see Elvira then it will be Stranger Things both make sense for an October release.
I will say however I'm scratching my head somewhat... who planned these titles to release in this order? Munsters old 60's horror/comedy tv show, Black Knight an old 90's game with a gothic theme, and then Elvira another 80's comedy horror title. Where is the straight up comedy mixed it or adventure movie or something? Odd it would go down like this.
Maybe somewhere between they announce a vault like putting another game into production like Tron, but that won't be anything new. I think the next new game will be in October Elvira 3.

Hey Einstein, Elvira isn't a cornerstone pin. It will be a pricey, botique style pin, ala Batman '66.

This July reveal will be the third cornerstone pin.

1 week later
#4247 4 years ago
Quoted from MonsieurCS:

No one would say Jurassic World (and it's absolutely terrible sequel), are better than Jurassic Park!
Fingers crossed for a Chris Pratt-free game above all else.

No one is saying that, but that doesn't mean the two newer movies aren't fun.

#4313 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Did you read the book for #2? Soooooooo much better than the movie. I will say movie 2 is better than 3 but that isn’t saying a ton.

Yeah, the Lost World book was great! The movie...disappointing.

At least 3 was short and sweet. And it was good to have Sam Neil back.

Too bad we never got the whole team back together.

1 week later
#4337 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Yeah... kinda like Highlander 2. I walked out of that flick. Sorry Mister Connery, Couldn’t watch you crash and burn![quoted image]

We called it "Highlander 2: The Slowing"

or sometimes

"Highlander 2: The Sickening"

#4356 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I don't get the excitement for Jaws:The Pin.

Because it would be freaking awesome.

I suppose that's why the excitement.

#4360 4 years ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

Jaws is cool, but 80ties cool...

70's

#4363 4 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

TMNT has been done .. I want something new.

So had Jurassic Park. And most seem to be happy it was re-done.

#4367 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah but JP is at least a good general idea & theme.

Depends what Turtles they use.

The new ones are junk.

#4373 4 years ago

Roy Schneider and Robert Shaw were certainly "A" list actors in terms of talent. They were both established movie actors when they made Jaws. They may not have been the biggest stars in Hollywood, or the highest paid of course, but they were A list actors.

#4392 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

As far as I know, the DE tmnt is responsible for coining the term "subway". I agree it seems like a must have. What IS the last Stern game to have a subway?

Technically? Ghostbusters Premium/LE. It's not much of one. Metallica Premium/LE has a small one too.

#4402 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Their el-cheapo roots as the also-ran compared to Bally/Williams designs are still showing through, even after all these years.

That "also-ra" is still around making pinball. Williams? Gobbled by Scientific Games in Nevada. Not a soul left in Chicago.

#4404 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Just because Bally/Williams left for more profitable operations doesn't mean Stern has ever approached the level of their mechanical designs.

Left and got bought up. What a legacy. Tumbleweeds rolling at the old WMS building.

I'll take Stern's games any day over a 90's Williams game that looks like it's powered with a weak 9-volt battery.

#4406 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

LED lighting didn't exist then.

I wasn't the one comparing two different decades.

So yourself.

#4408 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You're confusing mechanical design with lighting. That's your first mistake. Pinball is ABOUT mechanical design, and Stern is a pale imitation of Bally/Williams' mechanical design.

I'm not confusing anything. I'm stating a preference. You seem to worship Williams and think they could do no wrong.

And Data East had plenty of firsts in pinball design, which you're ignoring here.

#4413 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It's not worship, it's just stating facts. The fact is Stern's mechanical designs are nowhere close to Bally/Williams in ingenuity or complexity. A LOT of that is due to el-cheapo-deluxe cost-reduction constraints from above, but there's a good portion that's simple lack of imagination/complacency at Stern.

Well, you realize that most of Williams Pinball designers and coders work for or have worked for Stern? So essentially, Stern is Williams now.

And as for Data East/Sega being an "also-ran", he's a few of their innovations off the top of my head.

First Solid State Flipper (RoboCop)

First DMD (Checkpoint)

First select your own music (Checkpoint)

First Twin Ramps (TMNT)

First Subway shot (TMNT)

First pin to accept cash (Lethal Weapon)

First game with multi-axis levels (Lethal Weapon)

First to reward Death Save (Rocky + Bullwinkle)

First ever Super DMD (Maverick)

First pin to allow 6 players (Baywatch)

First pin with team mode (Batman Forever)

There are more I'm sure.

Look, I don't mind if you prefer Williams. You just don't have to shit all over Stern in the process. Some of us will defend them.

#4415 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Why are you pulling Data East into this (I didn't do that)? To deflect from the fact that Stern's el-cheapo-deluxe cost reduction edict of "no subways" is bad for pinball?

Well, for starters, this comment you made earlier.

Quoted from PinMonk:

Their el-cheapo roots as the also-ran compared to Bally/Williams designs are still showing through, even after all these years.

Their "el-cheapo" roots as an "also-ran" company would be the Data East/Sega era......you know.....when they actually competed against Bally/Williams.

So, essentially.....your own words.

Hope that clarifies it for you.

#4418 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You're confused. Data East was basically Stern Electronics. SEGA absorbed that. Stern Pinball came from that.
If you read the post carefully and UNDERSTAND IT, I was comparing Stern Pinball (not stern electronics, or data east, or sega pinball) to Bally Williams DESIGNS. I didn't make a contemporaneous comparison. Get it?
Point is, Stern Pinball is cheap. REALLY cheap. Like el-cheapo-deluxe cheap. And this cheapness has held back their pinball designs because it includes the ban on subways. Iron Maiden could have been a LOT better if Stern hadn't forced Elwin to cut the vari-target and subways from his Archer design. Fact.

Here's some facts for you:

Data East was not Stern Electronics. Stern Electronics was formerly a pinball company called Chicago Coin that went bankrupt, and Gary and his dad bought it up in the late 70's. Stern Electronics went out of business in the early 80's. Data East, a Japanese electronics company, created an American pinball division and hired Gary Stern to run it. That started up in 1986. Hence, this is why Stern celebrated their 30th anniversary in 2016.

And your post (that I quoted) was clearly talking about Stern's roots, not current Stern. Otherwise it wouldn't be "roots".

So, it's time to starting climbing out of that hole you've dug for yourself.

#4421 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Between your games and the fact that you are communicating with your fellow pinheads, you are easily one of the best designers out there. Maiden is the only game I play daily.

And JP will soon be the only game I play daily!

#4429 4 years ago

Well, is that a fact? because...I remember playing this 35 years ago.
[quoted image]

Well, in that post I said "off the top of my head". My "facts" post was about the history of Stern Electronics and Data East, and those are indeed facts.

In looking back at Stern's pamphlet for Baywatch, the wording meant it was the first 6 player game for the company, not in the history of Pinball.

So, my bad.

4 weeks later
#4500 4 years ago
Quoted from Rat:

I expect the next Stern title will be delayed.
Just like the JP2 games are right now.

No games are being delayed.

2 weeks later
#4550 4 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

They've rested on the laurels of licenses (and made millions) for a long time with nothing original. It's time to shake it up a bit and get off the cookie cutter train.

Not happening. There are boutique pinball companies for that.

#4551 4 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Still I have my fingers crossed for a Tron LCD vault addition.[quoted image]

What you're describing wouldn't be a vault edition. It would be some thing ala Batman '66 from Batman Dark Knight.

#4562 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

So, no Jaws (thank god).

Jaws would have been awesome, thank you very much.

1 week later
#4678 4 years ago

There's not going to be any more new releases this year. They've had three cornerstones and a major special release with Elvira. 2019 is in the bag.

2 weeks later
#5185 4 years ago

Texas Pinball Festival just posted this on Facebook.

75279123_10157673603844116_2111529583411986432_n (resized).jpg75279123_10157673603844116_2111529583411986432_n (resized).jpg
2 months later
#6474 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Could we see a new pin from Stern sooner than expected? From what’s being banged around 2019 wasn’t a great year for Stern, which might explain why Stranger Things was rushed out before the end of the year.
Munsters wasn’t a sales hit, yeah the LEs sold out fast but the colour premium was a shot at trying to boost sales. BK3 wasn’t massive either, Elvira didn’t light a fire under Stern like they probably hoped it would have and Stranger Things threads are unusually quiet!
JP2 seems to be the only real hit Stern had in 2019 and they didn’t build enough to keep up with demand, so if sales are low on 2019 titles could we see a new release sooner? We all know Stern release games to keep the line moving that’s their one and only goal.

By all accounts, 2019 was a banner year for Stern.

#6499 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Not according to the distributors I usually use. "Meh" sales year at best. Maybe in Europe?

Your distributors are a small piece of a larger pie.

3 months later
#7879 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Game of Thrones is a licensing juggernaut as things sit today and is one of the most valuable franchises in the history of television.

Not after that last season. Its name is mud now.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades
Toys/Add-ons
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 17.50
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts
Toys/Add-ons
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Denver, CO
$ 8,600.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place
Pinball Machine
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 9,799.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona
Pinball Machine
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wake Forest, NC
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sinestro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine?tu=sinestro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.