Severance (resized).JPG
We_were_on_a_break1-ezgif.com-webp-to-gif-converter.gif
maxresdefault (resized).jpeg
images (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1713427968712 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #33984 Stern's new factory information Posted by Grantman (1 year ago)

Post #36014 TRAILER: Foo Fighters Pin teaser trailer Posted by Yoko2una (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shaub.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5938 4 years ago
Quoted from fisherdaman:

Not really sure you can lump rick and morty into the 80's rehash bucket.

Yeah, there really isn't any scenario where I'd consider Rick and Morty an 80s rehash.

#5947 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

You mean besides the fact that it is an adult swim rehash of an 80's move. Or that the main people are Rick (Doc) and Morty (Marty) that travel in a space ship that copy's the DeLorien. Nope nothing from the 80's movie rehashed here.

Have you ever watched the show? There isn't time travel at all, which I believe was a major part of BTTF. Also, the space ship looks nothing like a Delorean. But yes, there was an animated short that parodied BTTF that ultimately served as inspiration for the creation of the show.

#5991 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Instead you get Mr meeseeks, interdimensional cable, portals, global level cronenberg mutations, the councils of Rick's, evil Morty

Have you even seen BTTF? That is, point for point, the exact plot of that movie!

#5995 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

It’s already been leaked.

Have any pictures been floating around? or are you just talking about the fact that its known to be coming?

#6012 4 years ago

Seeing as how St and Sst dont work, how about STPbSPI (stranger things pinball by stern pinball inc)

2 months later
#6920 4 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Original Soundtrack!

...featuring Sebastian Bach.

Uh.

...someone want to tell them?

tell them what? I don't get it?

2 weeks later
#7339 4 years ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

I heard Todd Tuckey mention the Turtles in his youtube video.

What does he said about it? Or at what time does he mention it?

1 month later
#7559 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

King of flow has become a too rinse and repeat for me.

Yeah, I definitely agree with you there, it kind of seems like the interesting things he DOES try to add tend to get priced out of the pro models. It would be so nice to see him knock one out of the park though.

#7564 3 years ago
Quoted from Grandnational007:

In a world of ultra deep rulesets, it's refreshing to walk up to a game, and basically know what the objectives are right away, especially as a tournament player.

I hear that, I feel like BKSOR does this quite well. My comment was really more about Ritchie's playfield layouts. The way the rules are implemented make each of his games different and unique. But if you look at the GOT and BKSOR playfields, they look remarkably similar. For the record, I would like to own either of those 2 games (especially BKSOR) as well as SW, ST, ACDC and Spiderman. haha

When it comes down to it, I just want to see Ritchie offer something with a touch of uniqueness to set it apart from his and other designer's games.

4 weeks later
#8114 3 years ago

With every single theme idea people always have to say this theme is great for over 50 or under 27 or between 32 and 39 and from 46 to 53.

Lots of themes can appeal to people of all ages, especially bands that have been around for 50 years or classic movies and tv shows. Young people listen to and watch old stuff, old people listen to and watch new stuff. Just because YOU don't like a theme, doesn't mean the theme is garbage.

As well, alot of people can appreciate a theme for what it is as long as the game itself is good.

#8177 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Bwahahahaahahaaa

As a GB owner, I second that! IMDN, JP, DP, BM66 all came after GB.

#8243 3 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

Jaws pops out of the playfield with a tank in its mouth and you have to hit the tank to blow him up!

what would be amazing is having the main MB involve a shark popping up to eat/drain balls. Im not quite sure how the rules would work but that would sure be unique.

Maybe even do like 2 or more mechs like a combo of the trolls in MM and TOMs trap door.

Games dont typically include "dont shoot the shot" type mechanics.

2 weeks later
#8369 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

What ever happened to the G1 transformers reskin.

That was a rumour but if it's true, which I dont doubt, I think they would use that as a stop gap to keep the line moving. right now they're struggling to build tmnt fast enough so I feel like it's anyones guess when a vault drops.

2 weeks later
#8523 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I would not complain if it was Lyman on the software.

It would be nice to see Lyman on any new cornerstone title.

3 weeks later
#8853 3 years ago
Quoted from Saltimbanco:

Stern SPACE X MARS, in collaboration with Tesla/Elon Musk. Can you imagine what crazy things those guys could come up with?

This would actually be a great way to do a space theme again. I'm not sure how you'd approach the rules of the game but Im sure you could make a fun machine out of it.

The problem is, it wouldnt be a theme that gets people to buy without playing it and that seems to be the main thing to consider.

#8855 3 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

BM66 and the Beatles are Kapow games they seem to be the thing that jacks up the price http://www.kapowpinball.com/games.html

What exactly does Kapow do? It seems like they just get the licensing maybe?

#8914 3 years ago

An Elwin Marvel themed game definitely has my attention, I guess we'll have to wait and see!

#9143 3 years ago

Well, Elwin was designing Archer, he's now designing a new game, I wouldn't mind it being James Bond. I don't even need much for assets, as long as it FEELS like Bond. But I guess we'll see...

2 weeks later
#9994 3 years ago

I think the Premium is the best overall art package. Pro looks good though.

1 month later
#10455 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Jaws would be great though

If Jurassic Park was codenamed "Jaws," wouldnt making a codename Jaws machine and an actual Jaws machine so close together cause some kind of internal confusion?

I guess I don't really know how or why they use a machine's codename.

2 weeks later
#10681 3 years ago
Quoted from gregh43:

iam thinking Stern is waiting for the hype to settle with the JJp GnR before they push out their next title.

I feel like it would be strange for them to push out the next game right now when they're so backlogged on their 2 newest games. I understand that they run more than just the newest games at any given time but even releasing Avengers when they did got in the way of selling TMNTs. Yeah, they can sell either of those for the next few years but that initial hype has got to do some serious heavy lifting on total sales. I feel like their best bet would be to satisfy the bulk of the demand for TMNT and AIQ before moving onto the next one. But, of course, Stern would know exactly what initial sales vs. long-term sales would be and will act accordingly.

When it comes down to it, this current manufacturing bottleneck could really set them up in the long-term on the design/development side of things. Perhaps with a number of different games nearing completion and ready for the factory ahead of the typical schedule or at the same time.

Though I'm pretty sure the design of Elvira was sitting more-or-less complete for a while before they released it and that didn't seem to help with the code development side of things.

#10711 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

This sounds more like a job for American Pinball much like Hot Wheels idea.

There's gotta be some video assets they could re-purpose in the same way as Hot Wheels. The biggest problem is that there is so much licensed Lego stuff that could be cool to utilize but I imagine would be impossible to license/use.

Either way, make the game focus on building things, maybe just on the screen but it would be cool with some kind of state-changing playfield mechs. Things like "building" a ramp to lock balls and start MB. Or maybe "breaking" down a wall.

#10717 3 years ago

Seems like Ritchie and Sexton will be teaming up again for Ritchie's next one.

#10751 3 years ago
Quoted from JWP72:

Isn't Keith Elwin's handle sk8ball?

Throw in a couple call backs to Skateball, the outside inlane for example. I'd just want it be called Tony Hawk's Pro Pinball, that way we could have a Tony Hawk's Pro Pinball (Pro), Tony Hawk's Pro Pinball (Premium), and a Tony Hawks Pro Pinball (Limited Edition).

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
1 month later
#11550 3 years ago
Quoted from Mark1971:

i just hope the game is not crap because they spend so much to get the rights.

I really doubt they'd make a Led Zeppelin machine IF the license was super expensive. It just doesn't strike me as the kind of license you'd overspend just to get.

#11601 3 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Watched John Wick 1 & 2 again last night, would make a fun action pin

I could see it working well as a Steve Ritchie upper flipper game with a big focus on combos and hurry ups and lots of on the fly playing.

#12045 3 years ago
Quoted from Scandell:

In 15 years...there are going to be a ton of old man pinball themed machines on the market. Widows fretting over how to get rid of it. Nobody wanting them.

Yeah, it will be just like how difficult it is to sell games like the Shadow, Demo Man, Johnny Mnemonic, Congo, etc. Those themes just dont have the widespread appeal that pinball machines need.

#12046 3 years ago

All this talk about how Led Zeppelin is just an old man theme is kind of ridiculous. Zeppelin was old when I was in high school, yet people loved them. Why cant young people be exposed to and enjoy these kinds of themes?

Iron maiden songs aren't playing on the disney channel, yet my toddler now requests Fear of the Dark and Hallowed be thy name when we're driving in the car.

Music pins keep getting made because they do well, they are timeless and have widespread appeal. Taking a chance on the potential next big theme failed many times for WMS so it makes sense that stern would typically focus on properties that have withstood the test of time.

#12215 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

It doesn't matter how many toys you jack into a machine or if it's ugly as sin. We haven't even seen gameplay yet or mature code but people are out.

I think this perfectly sums up how people were blown away by the GNR reveal and seem to be underwhelmed by LZ. The big difference between what I look for in a pinball machine and what other people look for is pretty apparent. Gameplay seems to be an afterthought in both cases. Yes, I think the Prem/LE artwork is especially un-inspiring but I need to know how the game PLAYS because as it stands I think the layout has potential as long as the code/rules can make it shine. From my initial impressions, the layout looks superior to most of Ritchie's recent designs (BKSOR, SW, GOT for sure).

#12240 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

4. 4 ramps in all models… a lot for a standard body

The pro is missing that upper flipper flip ramp. But the 3 ramps make for a solid layout on the pro.

6. There is a second switch in the shooter lane… why?

To validate the playfield I'd assume, to prevent short plunging without starting the ball save timer.

7. Ball does not travel on plastic in this game.

Good point, all metal ramps! That's a serious plus in my mind.

#12324 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Is Brian Eddy still at Stern? Seems like he’d be up to bat this early spring.

Please make a modern Shadow!

Seems like after all his time away from pinball he might have some fresh ideas? Though Id prefer he rehashed Shadow instead of AFM for the 4th time.

#12332 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I don’t think that’s fair. Although stranger things is a fan layout, the demogorgon ramp and toy, magnet lock and projector are all fresh ideas. They didn’t go over well at all, but they are definitely fresh ideas.

Absolutely. I should have been more clear, I was ONLY speaking about the layout. But you make a great point.

3 weeks later
#12922 3 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Stern should blow peoples mind with an original themed pin for a change....

I feel like there is room for a proper original theme but only if there is internal passion for it. Stern employs a lot of creative folks that I'm sure could excel if not limited by a license and pre-existing characters/ideas. For example, the team that did the animations for BKSOR nailed it, in my opinion and you could definitely build up more of a story with what's there. And for a pinball machine, the actual "story" really doesn't need to be overly deep and it could be catered directly to pinball much better than a pre-existing story.

But ultimately, the reason we see so many licensed themes is that a lot of people are just more willing to buy a machine with a theme they already love, sometimes sight unseen. Additionally, it's much easier to overlook gameplay, layout or artwork deficiencies when you are attached to the theme itself. So the question is, how the hell do you make sure you sell an original themed game? Since no theme, licensed or otherwise, appeals to every pinball player or buyer, I'd suggest that making a good game is the first step. Or maybe the real solution is to have someone like Elwin or Lyman attached to an original theme.

But then again, why would Stern take the risk when their current strategy seems to be working just fine.

#12923 3 years ago

Also, can we get Iron Maiden re-themed as Archer? I really like Maiden but damn would it be cool to see that machine return to it's roots.

#12931 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Williams Pinball is out of business.

Yeah, but not because of original themes.

#12932 3 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

I guess I just respect the Williams pinball approach...443 game titles and most were original theme titles...

They did plenty of licensed themes, including their biggest seller. However, they were operating in a much different environment than we are in right now. The home/collector market, unfortunately, responds much better to themes they already love.

Ultimately, I don't see why Stern cant take a chance every now and again though.

#12934 3 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Not really totally different and Williams bought Bally by the way...

Williams bought Bally but the games Bally made prior to that time (1987?) weren't made my Williams in any way. It's kind of like saying that Scientific Games made great pinball machines in the 90s, it's simply not true.

#12958 3 years ago
Quoted from RikeIsland:

How about a Tenacious D pin?

Oh man, this could be great! Especially with custom call outs from Jack Black and Kyle Gass and more of an Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle style approach instead of the typical "band" pin/jukebox approach.

#12959 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Striker Extreme.

Literally 2 decades ago though... And it's not like they weren't releasing plenty of other duds at the time as well.

#12961 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Releasing an unlicensed title in 2021 is as bad of an idea in 2001.

Is it?

#13037 3 years ago
Quoted from PinBalt:

That BOM doesn't seem practical nowadays.

Would the BOM for LOTR really be any different from the current Stern line up? Especially if sold as a Premium/LE only pricing model, which is what I would anticipate.

1 week later
#13181 3 years ago

I suggest they include a Quidditch video mode which is basically just a high definition re-make of the Johnny Mnemonic video mode. The ridiculousness of that video mode would capture the essence of Quidditch perfectly!

1 week later
#13275 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

A Welk layout by Elwin and rules by Lyman would sell.

I'm really not sure why people routinely talk about Elwin and Lyman teaming up. A huge part of what makes Elwin's games great is his rules design complimenting his playfield design.

#13288 3 years ago
Quoted from heyitsjoebob:

Comic style Spiderman Vault would be fantastic.

This already exists. Not sure how many were actually made though.

#13340 3 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

I think we know Hollywood is on a social justice crusade.....

I don't think its a social justice crusade, just Hollywood trying to make money as easily as possible.

With that being said, how does "Social Justice Crusaders from Stern Pinball" sound?

#13363 3 years ago
Quoted from Huggers:

Yeah sorry, joke was wasted on me as I had no clue wtf Welk was

Same here.

#13446 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

If you take 50/day as a consistent average, that's 12k pins a year.

Thanks for the math, that's actually really cool to have a rough idea of what is entering the global market every year.

#13478 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Seriously, who cares. They make more games than anyone period.

You may not be interested in this kind of speculation but some people are. Is it accurate? No idea. We're in a thread entirely devoted to speculation relating to stern though, so it seems appropriate to me.

#13483 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

It’s speculation about the next game title not the finances of the company.

Well it actually seems to be more about speculating about what would make a good theme, or what people would like to see, not necessarily just what Stern is actually doing.

Either way, if someone shares analysis or perspective that you have no interest in, just skip over it and move on to the next post.

#13498 3 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

I'm always shocked there wasn't an NHL pin, but perhaps the license fees are just way too high

I feel like there probably isn't enough widespread appeal to sell an NHL pin. But I could see it being cool if they did. I picture it as a Steve Ritchie game.

#13629 3 years ago

Batman89 would be an awesome re-theme/vault style release of Batman66.

#13663 3 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

Fatalities as a hurry up at the end of modes kinda like Deadpool but ya know deader.

complete battle/mode, then a 3 shot kombo like 123 foot in tmnt to do a fatality. and have a secret Kombo to do a different fatality.

#13664 3 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

think there is a chance of a Mortal Kombat pin.

I feel like Ritchie is the right guy to do it to. fast, flowy and lots of combos.

#13674 3 years ago
Quoted from Micky:

The next reveal isn't far away at all!

Zeppelin?

#13712 3 years ago

or perhaps theyre gonna start selling puzzles using their existing backglass/translite artwork?

#14048 3 years ago
Quoted from MJR8peanut:

ive been told the puzzle might just be a puzzle

haha, who would have thought that a picture of a puzzle with "coming soon" would mean that a puzzle was coming soon.

Does Stern ever do drawn out teaser things for game releases? Seems more up JJP's alley to me.

#14243 3 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

A pinball company doing a teaser for a puzzle is really fucking annoying and stupid. Trolling is a really shitty marketing strategy. I’m over it. Grow up Stern.

I don't think they were trolling. They teased a new product and a bunch of people started reading way too much into it. If they showed a picture of a pinball machine and said "coming soon," I'd expect a pinball machine to be revealed soon. But they showed a picture of a puzzle and that's what we got. However, considering the fact that they aren't a puzzle company and are, in fact, a pinball company, they really didn't need to hype up puzzles in that way.

#14287 3 years ago

A half- or full-size puzzle of certain playfields could be cool. If puzzles are your thing, the artwork of any zombieyeti game would be pretty cool. There's lots of small details that you don't necessarily focus on but you definitely would when assembling a puzzle.

#14342 3 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Keith doesn’t write the code. Lyman, Tim, and RayDay are all coders and great players.

He designs the rules or at least the overall framework and then has a coder implement it. Lyman designs rules AND implements it. Though all lead software guys delegate stuff to others.

I like the Elwin approach, as far as I understand it.

#14346 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Stern generic cgi animations like Deadpool/JP/AIQ/TMNT etc

Theme integration definitely doesnt seem to necessarily be a huge concern of stern, which seems strange considering their reliance on theme to sell machines. I do think that Deadpool and TMNT are done well and I, personally, like the way JP makes me feel like I'm in Jurassic Park rather than playing Jurassic Park but I understand people's concerns with it.

#14407 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

On the other side I just don't get the love fest it gets for it's rules and code. I dunno what I'm missing as I played it a lot but it always felt very linear and repetitive.

Pretty easy to understand, tough to master, kind of like Iron Man. At least that's how I view it. It probably doesn't hurt that it had such a bad reception upon release only to be revived by later updates.

#14428 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

I’d much rather have an ugly game that is a great player, than a pretty game that plays like shit.

Maybe I'm the only one but I think the playfield art on Walking Dead is perfect, it suits the game and the theme well. Plus, I'm super glad it doesn't revolve around the TV show characters especially because the code doesn't involve them at all.

But yes, ugly game + great gameplay is always going to win for me as well.

1 week later
#14572 3 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

Id vote Elwin to design it and Lyman on the code.

Quoted from Phbooms:

I highly doubt that combo will ever happen. Not that i dont think it would be great.

I think, more than anything, it would be a waste of each of their talents considering they both seem to excel at creating deep, balanced rule sets. To me, it's kind of like saying, "I sure wish Ritchie and Borg could design a fast, flowy layout together."

1 week later
#15125 3 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

I am a major fan of variety, so would love to see additional artists do the art... but I also don’t see ZY as a one trick pony like all his art packages looked the same or something. Lately there has been some similarities yeah - look at the theme choices.

I think this is the key, not every pin should be a zombieyeti art package. I love every game he's done but I also like Jurassic Park and Black Knight. And when you hear how rushed he was to get Avengers completed, you realise they are leaning a little too heavy on him and I definitely don't want him to burn out or anything.

Also, I believe Marvel specifically requested ZombieYeti for Avengers (after rejecting some other artists) because of his work on Deadpool. So it kind of makes sense that you'd get a similar layout/style, especially when you add in a time crunch.

3 weeks later
#15854 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

No, I complemented two Stern games

Like a typical JJP fanboy!

1 week later
#16527 3 years ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

eah man. Mando 5/11, upper playfield, Eddy, hand drawn art (not Jeremy). Boom.

If this is true, I am interested to see just how empty the main playfield is on the Pro and/or how poorly integrated the upper playfield is for overall gameplay.

#16623 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Having Johnny Crap on art would only make it easier to skip

Really, the guy does one pinball machine and you already write him off? Guys like him are exactly what stern needs. Like you said ZombieYeti cant do every machine.

I happen to really like the overall art package of Jurassic Park myself.

#16695 3 years ago

"Grogu" was introduced far to late to really feel right. For the entire series, you're calling him "The Child" or "Baby Yoda." By the time "Grogu" comes into it, it's kinda like, meh.

#17147 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

deep code is boring, a pin needs to be fun off the bat...

Quoted from JohnDeere:

You can have deep code and be fun off the bat

Exactly this. To make a game good overall, it needs to have both. "Deep code" without having accessible things up front feels like chopping wood every game and is terrible for the less skilled/beginner players who will essentially never see those things. Lots of stuff up front with no code depth ends up being fun at first but leads to a very shallow and repetitive experience, much like Munsters.

Avengers, in my opinion, does a very good job of balancing this up front kind of gameplay and longer term depth. Up front, Thor MB is like 3 shots away from the plunge, your 1st Gem Quest is like 2 or 3 shots away.

Walk up to the game, you plunge and BOOM! you're right into it. Complete the 1st Gem Quest? Great! Now place the Gem and maybe see some benefits. Lost the Gem? No worries, start another one or maybe start Thor MB. For a beginner, they might have just played and lost a Gem Quest and played a MB. That's a pretty decent gameplay experience. Now you can jump into another game and beat that damn Gem Quest! For a more intermediate player, maybe you're pushing to get to Thanos Attacks and starting your Iron Man MB. An even better player, maybe you're pushing to place some Gems and take advantage and pushing to get to Battle Royale (edit: I mean Black Order MB). And this can escalate all the way to winning all 6 Gems and starting Battle Thanos for a 1 billion point payout! And this doesnt even involve any of the Computer Grid Award aspects or any of the really specific Gem placement-type strategies.

THAT is what code depth actually looks like from a gameplay stand point, in my personal opinion.

#17149 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I love BSD, it has very simple rules, it really only has 2 modes and 3 multiballs. It is still amazing when you blow it up and I keep going back for more.

Great example. It really does show that there are different types of depth. I'd almost call BSD solely "execution-based depth": easy to understand, tough to master. Where as something like Avengers is a lot more "rules AND execution-based": more complex to understand, tough to master.

A lot of the Williams "classics" definitely lean to the execution-based depth idea: Fish Tales, BSD, Shadow, Medieval Madness, etc.

A lot of the Stern "modern-classics" lean to the rules and execution-based depth: TSPP, LOTR and lots of the most recent games.

Obviously it's not black and white, but that's kind of my personal view of things.

#17235 2 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

TBH I think Dwight did a great job with the TMNT code. I will take him over Lonnie any day . TMNT is one of the best coded off all the game I have owned. 1.2.3 foot tends to get in the way a little but thats my only gripe, rest is solid. Lots of good modes, various side objectives. Well done!

Id also take Dwight over Lonnie. But I do think TMNT is still missing something to tie it all together, sure hope Dwight takes one more crack at it to round it all out. My sense of Dwight is that he kind of has his plan for the rules and is just content to get that built rather than seeing how it comes together and readjusting and rebalancing. Could be wrong but that's sort of my impression.

#17333 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Pinball design 101 informs us that a good layout is not loaded with tons of plastic that hides the ball and is open enough to have good flow for shots to flow for combos

There is no universal "good layout."

#17356 2 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

2 years living on a giant bag of animal crackers and tap water, working everyday. Couldn’t afford tv. Saved every free penny for home deposit. In the end I got my wife and kids a home and a stable life.

Long story but happy ending. So I feel ya...

Pff.. Typical trustfund kid.

#17527 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

This did not age well

Hell, it barely even aged before the video was posted. haha

#17528 2 years ago
Quoted from Medic:

Should we quote all the people on here that said Kaneda was full of shit?

He still usually is.

Quoted from iloveplywood:

Why did people doubt it when MNpinball confirmed it?

This is why I believed it as well.

#17556 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Since there's a pro model, it's unlikely to be Lyman. Stern is saving his marquee pull for their rip-off Prem/LE/Super LE releases only (See: Batman '66, EHOH) these days. Can't blame them.

Has this been confirmed anywhere or is it just speculation based on those 2 titles? Based on what was said around EHOH's release, Lyman had wanted to work on a haunted mansion/house type game for a while so it was a good fit. Im not saying that he isnt assigned to the Premium+ games they release, just curious if there is more to this than his involvement with the first 2 Prem+ games.

#17642 2 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Not every pin has to be a deep masterpiece of coding..I have an Alice Cooper, Tales from the Crypt and Pinbot..When non pinball fanatics come over to my house and play they always play Pinbot the most, then Tales from the Crypt and then maybe Alice Cooper...I like Munsters because it is an approachable pin..Most new pins are so complicated it turns newbies off...

I think you're confusing "depth" with "complexity" here. Deep games can definitely be as approachable for beginners as any other game. I think in the case of something like Munsters, depth would provide more things to do further into the game without affecting the approachable structure of the game.

For example, look at Deadpool, that game is not complex but it is deep, there are lots of things to "get to" and parallel objectives to do but there are also pretty straightforward objectives for anyone that steps up to the machine: Lil Deadpool MB/Modes, Battles, even just the Katanarama Time combos. Approachable and deep.

#17650 2 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

I think Dead Pool is too deep for the Noobie..That video fighting screen of different characters is not clear on what shots to be making..

But that video fighting scene isn't "depth". I do understand how that screen might not be intuitive, that's when a pinball sherpa needs to be guiding the newbies to "shoot the lit shots." Don't you want to be a pinball sherpa?

#17663 2 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

How does a sherpa compare to a guru and/or a wizard?

I'm glad you asked, really a sherpa is only 1 part of becoming truly enlightened in the ways of the silverball. A guru tends to educate in the spiritual ways of pinball, a wizard teaches you the sorcery of ball control, nudging and shot accuracy, and the sherpa focuses on all things rules based.

Together all 3 are required for a pinball student to become a Silverball Master! There is no other way.

#17672 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Like all the other instances of Stern fade (many much more severe than LZ), the Tibetan Breeze kit takes care of the issue completely.

Oh, how convenient! The product you designed to fix the issue, helps to fix the issue! Seems pretty suspect to me!

Haha just joking, in fact, I just put a set in my AIQ last weekend and they should be mandatory for TMNT.

#17699 2 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

don’t buy the narrative some keep spouting that it was coded to be like an old B/W shallowly programmed game.

I think it was Dwight himself that said that he tried to make a simpler game like T2. Possibly with a suggestion from Gomez. I wish I couls find the podcast but it would take too much time to dig through them all.

#17726 2 years ago
Quoted from BasementFacts:

Dwight has a boss. If it’s not Gary, it’s someone else. Blame the boss. It’s silly to think Dwight is just haphazardly doing whatever he feels like.

But all the programmers have the same boss. Do you think the boss is giving Dwight and Lonnie different resources, including time and support, than someone like Keith? Or that Munsters was afforded less resources for whatever reason? Or are you just saying that the boss is ultimately accountable for the end product, so Dwight is off the hook because the boss accepted the final product?

#18150 2 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Pinside at it again!!
This game sucks, it's an empty playfield!
This game sucks, there is too much stuff on the playfield!

"Stern never does 3d sculpts!"
"This 3d sculpt doesn't dance and catch the ball in it's tiny hand"

Complainers gonna complain, I suppose.

#18291 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

I’m just gonna say it again...TSPP spike 2 vault The Simpsons: Treehouse of Horror w/ assets from every Simpsons Halloween episode. Would be a BLAST!

I like this idea, though I think I'd prefer a whole new game with a much different gameplay style than TSPP.

#18300 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

What does the little ramp do to the right of Yoda, behind the ship? Im assuming it is a little horseshoe that drops the ball into the left orbit, but cant see how that fits behind Yoda.

It just feeds back to the left orbit, coming toward the flippers. But it has a ball stopper to allow animations to play.

1 week later
#18447 2 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

I'm from Canada..ill say it, Rush suck! Bring on Black Sabbath

Quoted from Only_Pinball:

You do realize that you will now be hunted down and expelled from the country right?

Finally! I've been trying to get him deported for years!

1 month later
#19085 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Hopefully it's an Elwin game with Lyman programming!!

Personally I'd rather they didn't put 2 guys who design the game rules framework on one machine, but maybe that's just me. Elwin and Lyman seem to come up with good rulesets separately, no reason to team up on a game.

Part of what I love about Elwin games is the way the layout and rules framework are designed by the same guy.

#19139 2 years ago
Quoted from Chuckwebster:

BM66 is not a vault edition.

I guess it's about how you classify games as vaults. Stern may never have called it a vault, but its a recycled design of BM Dark Knight.

You wouldn't call Beatles a Seawitch vault. BM66 may be inspired by Dark Knight but its a completely unique package overall.

#19143 2 years ago
Quoted from Chuckwebster:

I feel BM66 fits this bill

The thing is, the layout, rules and overall gameplay are vastly different. On Spiderman they changed the art, callouts and animations but they retained the core gameplay and geometry. Iron Man was almost a 1 re-release with LEDs and updated magnets. Technically they did a Star Trek "Vault Edition" though in that case, it seems like it was really just a re-run of the game, not sure why they called it "vault."

#19206 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

I would love to own a TWD if they re-skin it with more of a lighthearted cartoon zombie art package. My wife and kiddo are scared of TWD.

If they were to re-skin Walking Dead, the comics are the obvious choice. I'd be happy with Black and White or colourized but I'd really rather not see a lighthearted cartoon-style. In that case, I think a whole different theme would be a better option.

#19338 2 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Re: wifi ... how long will it be before some hacker holds your pin hostage till you pay the bitcoin ransom.
Happens with fridges and other products

Wouldn't you just be able to remove the SD card, burn the proper game file to it, and re-insert it to fix any attempt by hackers to modify your game to lock you out?

1 week later
#19568 2 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Just watched Zack snyder's Justice League , it was so much better than the original movie , it would be so great for a pin .

And then you could set the playfield incline to 5 degrees so it's like playing in slow motion, just like a quarter of the entire movie. Man, I was so disappointed with it. Just my personal opinion though, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Though a comic-style Justice League, like the way Avengers Infinity Quest was done, would be cool (to me).

2 weeks later
#20006 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

I stand my ground ,at some point they need to break into the 90s n 00s with a music pin .

I definitely agree that more modern music (20 to 30 years old, haha) could be a viable theme but the trick (I think) is to find something that has endured. Limp Bizkit, Korn, and Nu Metal in general was just a major fad as far as I can tell. You need a band that was huge in its time AND has stuck around. Look at the music pins we've seen so far: Elvis, The Rolling Stones, ACDC, Metallica, Kiss, etc. They were huge in they're time but have had a lasting legacy in pop culture. In my opinion, Nirvana would fit that bill BUT they don't embody the same Rock N Roll attitude of the other bands I've mentioned. There's something about a Nirvana pinball machine that feels disingenuous to their whole identity, maybe if Cobain didn't die and they kept touring since 94 but I don't know, something feels off. Even Rob Zombie and Alice Cooper feel like they don't fit the mold but I think Spooky makes it work because they're a "boo-tique" company.

At this point, I feel like a music festival type approach with a semi-modern soundtrack might be a good way to go to capture the "spirit" of the era without relying on one single band.

#20274 2 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Guess the positive side would be, it looks like pros will have metal aprons again lol.

I highly doubt they'll switch back to metal aprons because this QR reader. Why wouldn't they keep doing Plastic Aprons?

#20275 2 years ago

They have Pros listed for $6599 up from $6199, so I guess an extra $400 for Pros. Sadly, that's better than I was expecting.

#20303 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Every three or four months I see countless "THIS will be my last NIB purchase" posts.

I don't have a problem, I can quit any time I want!

#20468 2 years ago
Quoted from KYLEDM5:

Borg really needs to stop using that design. Walking Dead was the last time he didn't use it.

I don't really see the benefit to a 2 inlane on one side design. I would have thought its purpose would be to make that side MORE safe, not less. Though I guess maybe the design isn't really about adding the inlane, but rather positioning the slingshots closer together?

#20521 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

There’s paid stern insider and free insider. They don’t have different names.

Stern Insider All Access is the paid one, Stern Insider Basic is the free one.

#20978 2 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

Why should they be seriously punished???? IMO that’s an idiotic statement. There’s no harm, everyone knows it’s Godzilla and I’m guessing knowing Cointaker’s Impeccable reputation it was just overlooked. That mentality is the sue everyone mentality. Maybe your Robert Mueller in disguise

I assumed the comment was a joke because otherwise it's just a completely ridiculous thing to say. Especially in a thread where we actively speculate about upcoming games.

#21073 2 years ago

The thing is Godzilla as a theme doesnt do anything for me BUT I am happy to delve into it especially if the game speaks to me. I really started appreciating Maiden after that game came out, I never watched any LOTR movies until after the machine blew me away in like 2015.

I'll probably need a fan's guide to Godzilla very soon.

#21661 2 years ago
Quoted from Quiksilva86:

It’s been reported that Gomez is working on something for Stern too so one of them could be GG.

Do you happen to know where this was reported?

Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

I think Gomez is finishing Ritchies Bond for Q2 2022. Don’t think he’s designing from scratch these days.

Gomez's style would certainly mesh well with Ritchie's so he seems like the perfect guy to take it to the finish line, if true.

#21671 2 years ago
Quoted from Quiksilva86:

Read it somewhere and someone else on here had claimed George told them the same thing but didn’t give clues.

Ahh I see. I was hoping for an actual source to confirm it. He has mentioned on many podcasts that he doesn't really have time to design though he'd like to so if you had information that contradicted that, I was genuinely curious.

1 week later
#21900 2 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Why would you want Zombie Yeti to do the artwork on all these titles? So it will look exactly the same as Avengers, Godzilla, BKSR, and TMNT and the others?

FYI, Black Knight Sword of Rage was done by Kevin O Connor and the style is nothing like ZombieYeti's. That doesn't necessarily take away from your point just worth noting.

For what it's worth I agree that Stern needs multiple talented artists to provide variety and appropriate art packages for specific themes. It sounds like Chris Franchi is ready to work on another game when the right theme comes up, so that's good. I'd like to see Dirty Donny and Johnny Crap take another crack at an art package.

#21902 2 years ago
Quoted from EternitytoM83:

I was under the impression that Franchi had burned his bridges at Stern, is that not the case?

I think there was a falling out over some sort of issue but Franchi has interviewed Gomez on the Super Awesome Pinball Show, possibly more than once and recently mentioned that he was waiting for a theme that makes sense from Stern.

#21909 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

I feel like the guy who did Mando would have made a good match for Godzilla. I don't need to see another Johnny Crap game ever again though.

Hopefully he is interested and gets another chance to do an art package. As for Johnny, I really like what he did with Jurassic Park. Are your issues with the entire package? Or just the playfield? I find the playfield to be overall very solid, the map portion allows the playfield to breathe without getting in its way.

To each their own obviously but I like that Johnny didn't make JP look like ZombieYeti would, even though ZY is by far my favourite pinball artist.

#21964 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I actually didn't know that GB had evolved into a worthy pin. I never could get into it, but I'm glad to did turn out well..

I'd rate it as a B/B+ machine at best. Great art, great sounds, great theme integration, mediocre layout with some serious flaws (right ramp and flipper gap), and mediocre code. That's not to say it isnt fun, just that it could have been so much better than it ultimately is. Rather than renew the license and vault it, I'd say build a whole new game.

#22016 2 years ago
Quoted from MooButt:

I bought the center post mod, that coupled with the new code has made GB an awesome pin.

That centre post is great, it doesn't make the game easy in any way, but it makes it less arbitrarily drainy sdtm. I have fun playing it, but there is way too much missed potential for me personally. Like the entire collecting ghosts aspect of the game: the awards aren't particularly enticing for me and it's topped off with a wizard mode that, while actually pretty good and all, just feels like a luck box with the flippers constantly switching back and forth. Considering how hard it is to get there, it's kind of a bummer to feel like there's nothing to really do to keep it going without just wildly flipping hoping for the best. A better approach, in my personal opinion, would have been an "unlimited" ball save approach like Cherry Bomb or maybe something that made the switching of flipper buttons less of a random thing (in MB hitting that captive ball is just going to happen a bunch, not much to be done besides trapping up). But still, that new code did elevate the game and not every game can be favourite of all time.

1 week later
#22133 2 years ago
Quoted from tacreno:

My gosh, that tower mech is huge. I did not expect that.

I wonder how close to the bottom of the cabinet that mech gets.

2 weeks later
#22391 2 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Man , I hope BTTF has more in it than a Godzilla pro , it's one of the most barren underneath Playfields I've ever seen

Good thing you play the other side of the playfield then!

#22461 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Stern never state at release these will be the only editions made. And it is the same in any collectors market you buy based on what is released at the time.

Fair point, for example Walking Dead was released with no Premiums announced, Munsters was released without a full colour artwork Premium.

2 weeks later
#22823 2 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

Too bad because our country “ saved the world” more than once.

Hell, even I've saved the world from invading Martians a handful of times.

#22904 2 years ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

Danger literally said "Yeah BTTF, I hope you guys are excited for that."

Personally, I wouldn't take that as confirmation. Not to say it isnt coming but he's also talked about the upcoming Golden Girls pin and My Little Pony in the past.

#23036 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Beatles isn't a bad game. It was a bad sales model. Too much money for too little in return. Fun game to play if someone else had to actually buy it and I'm just putting in coins.

I'd love to see Beatles re-released as Seawitch 2 at Pro pricing, hell it could even be a "The Pin". I'm not a huge Beatles fan, but I feel like that theme deserved the Batman/Elvira treatment, not just the Batman/Elvira pricing.

2 weeks later
#23418 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I have been watching the homebrew, is it being produced by anyone like AP?

Nothing has been announced as far as I can tell. But AP has expressed an interest in doing more projects like Legends of Valhalla so Sonic Spinball produced by AP seems very possible. In addition, the creator has expressed interest in getting the machine produced.

I highly recommend checking out his thread and videos, it's really nice to see Sonic in a pinball machine like Sega should have done like 20-25 years ago.

#23432 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Gary and Sega seem to still have a working relationship to some extent.

How so? Has Stern licensed any Sega properties? Or are you just talking about Stern's history of being Sega owned?

1 month later
#24976 2 years ago
Quoted from Prince66cali:

Until next time.....

Please no.

#25098 2 years ago
Quoted from PinBalt:

Pro - it would be a hit in places with kids and millenials
Cons - kids are not in bars. Also what current 40-60 yr old is buying a $11K LE Pokemon Pinball machine. I just dont see it happening.

Agreed. As much as I love the idea of a Pokemon machine, it doesn't feel like it fits the current pinball business model all that well. There's currently too much emphasis on the theme itself putting machines into people's basements and gamerooms, often sight unseen, especially LEs. That's not to say there isn't overlap between Pokemon and Pinball though. Ultimately Stern knows what they need to sell and it might be viable, especially if the game can sell itself and not just the theme. Pokemon is ripe for cool Insider Connected implementation too.

#25141 2 years ago
Quoted from ahdelarge:

Stern Pinball will do what they want. Just because there's a backlog of current production games, doesn't mean that they won't throw a Vault in there. This would be like saying Stern won't release a new title because they have a backlog of orders.

The idea is that Vault editions are really just a good way to keep the assembly line moving when things are slow. Things aren't slow right now, so that's why a lot of people think Vaults won't be happening right now.

#25261 2 years ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but I would LOVE a WWII themed pin! The possibilities and endless resources for that .....just think! Taking out Subs and the Luftwaffe . The LCD screen videos incorporated into it would be amazing.

The big issue I see is that a theme like WW2 would probably need to take itself pretty seriously and there wouldn't be a lot of room for "fun" callouts or anything. I kind of feel like the gameplay options for such a theme would work quite well but the overall experience would tend to, and almost need to, feel much too somber for a fun game.

#25267 2 years ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

Eh, I would look at it like a Call of Duty game like screaminr said. If nobody had any "fun" there wouldn't be endless amounts of board games or video games associated with this like there are.

I get where you're coming from but, from my perspective, call of duty games dealing with ww2 are pretty dry, sort of a re-telling of the war through video games but without any sort of comic, light-hearted twist. I just don't think that approach is a good fit for pinball. I think you need a light-hearted, joking approach to make it "fun." And then if you do make light of WW2 or treat it with anything other than a serious tone, I feel like there might be backlash.

3 weeks later
#25769 2 years ago

Time to start a rumor:
He says they've decided "not to introduce a new April CORNERSTONE game," Kapow BTTF in April confirmed!

2 months later
#26810 1 year ago

But I bet you don't love lamp as much as I love lamp!

#26848 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

Lol whatever rocks your boat. There are better games to vault than turdbusters.
Maybe the prem is more fun than the pro I had. The cheap drains, the balls hopinng ovee ball guides, the air balls that run through the side and drain, the massive flipper gap, the annoying drop down targets, the lack of satisfying shots, and the repetitive code. I have no idea whwt people see in the game other than nostalgia.
The callouts and music are excellent if not the best I have seen of that Stern era, other than that Gb is a C+ game for me.

So many things in the game have potential but just aren't utilized in a rewarding/satisfying way. I LIKE the drop targets in theory, but the way they are used is just annoying (and not in what could be a good way), I really like that left captive ball arrangement, but it's treated like any other simple captive ball, even the idea of a single-ball "Super Jackpot" that you can build up is cool but when you're collecting worthless Super Jackpots it kind of defeats the purpose, collecting Ghosts is a cool way to make you shoot all the shots but the modes related to it aren't particularly inspired or worthwhile, even the Wizard Mode associated with collecting Ghosts just ends up being a luck box because the damn flippers keep reversing on a game that is notoriously drainy. At the very least, it could be a 60 second timed mode with unlimited ball save or something like that.

That game is popular based on theme and not gameplay, though it does do a good job capturing the theme as well.

#26849 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

You definitely have not played updated code on Ghostbusters and it shows. Game is amazing at its current iteration. That’s why they cost $10k now.

I have and I'm gonna say you are flat out wrong. They cost $10k now because they look pretty, have a great theme and pinball prices across the board have skyrocketed.

#27083 1 year ago
Quoted from Biju:

sn't Rush effectively a re-theme of X-Men? I mean, the Rush scoop is in the captive ball shot, and the instrument drops are where the X-Men scoop is, but otherwise it is fairly identical.

No. The rules are different and it doesn't shoot the same. Maybe some similarities in layout but calling it a re-theme is a real stretch.

#27113 1 year ago
Quoted from Walk:

I went and looked back at the Stern line up. They’ve had an NFL and NBA pin but I noticed no MLB pin. I could see that happening at some point. Sticking with sports, maybe a UFC or PGA pin would be fun themes.

If a MLB game ever got made, it would be a cool to have a pitch and bat style pitcher mechanism and a Pitch and Bat challenge mode included.

#27127 1 year ago
Quoted from ahdelarge:

I wouldn't have a problem with this.....but my off the wall pick goes to an Ozzy Osbourne pin from Stern. I'm not a diehard Ozzy fan, but everything I've heard over the years, I like.

I think there would be some good "theatrics" to lean on for artwork and game features. If they could get Black Sabbath in there as well, I'd be all in. I think they'd be best off NOT making it a concert or band game but leaning into the song and album theming and then building a game around what works.

#27210 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Doesn't change the fact that Stern got lucky hiring Elwin and that's why Godzilla is what it is. It just as easily could have been led Zeppelin

It's not "luck" that Stern hired Elwin, but it is "luck" for Godzilla fans that he got assigned or that he volunteered to do the Godzilla machine.

1 week later
#27465 1 year ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

. . . but there's no such thing as a good Sega.

How dare you! I really enjoyed Starship Troopers while I had it and currently I am really liking Baywatch.

4 weeks later
#28155 1 year ago
Quoted from RikeIsland:

Tenacious D would be the greatest pin in the world.

Tenacious D could make for an amazing theme, especially with custom call outs. And I think it would have wide appeal to fans and non-fans alike if done with the Alice Cooper/Weird Al-style approach.

#28424 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It didn't play anything like AfM. Less flow. It was WAY less of a reskin than the average Borg design reused and mirrored for the last 10 years in most of his games.

I always hate when people say that a new game is just playfield X, if you just reverse everything, remove a shot, change the rules and modify the feed of these 3 shots. Yes, things look similar but how does it play? GOTG and Met are similar in layout but are entirely different games. Even MM and AFM, which are quite similar in PF, actually play quite different when it comes down to it.

1 week later
#29020 1 year ago
Quoted from Rat:

I think if they tied the code into the style of the movie then Jaws could be a very unique pinball.

After pressing start you stand there staring at an empty lifeless ocean themed playfield for and hour until slowly the derr dummmm build up starts. Then suddenly multiball is auto launched and the playfield lighting goes dim so you can't really see what is going on. Everything flashes at random giving you no clue what to do before as quickly as it had begun all the balls are drained and you stand there waiting for the next multiball to begin.

That would be a bold choice, that's for sure.

#29228 1 year ago

I think it would be cool if Stern released a widebody but I think it would really require a designer to be fully behind the idea and have something unique in mind to take advantage of the format. I feel like a lot of designers, when speaking on their experience making the WMS SuperPins machines, have criticized the use of the format as a gimmick. However, I feel like if a designer was given a lot of freedom to do some interesting and unique things with some cool toys, you could actually make something really cool that utilizes the extra space.

It won't happen, but it could make for a cool one-off idea.

#29253 1 year ago

The thing is, even if outside shots can, or even tend to, suffer on widebodies, as Gomez says, that doesn't mean you can't use the additional real estate to position an upper flipper, some pop bumpers, a slingshot, rollover lanes, or something that a creative designer comes up with.

I could imagine a widebody layout with more room in the upper area of the playfield to allow for space for an extra upper flipper shot or 2. Or an area on the lower part of the playfield where you can skillfully nudge the ball back into play or through a beneficial rollover lane or something like that. The problem with Gomez's perspective seems to really focus on fan layouts, which is exactly what I would love to NOT see in a widebody.

3 weeks later
#31199 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Because his CGC title is coming out in Oct? Just a guess, but makes more sense than somehow recovering from the nuclear disaster that is his Stern relationship after he burned them repeatedly.

Franchi has definitely mended the relationship with stern. He has had Gomez on his podcast multiple times for some of the best podcast episodes out there. They were super friendly with one another and, in general, there have been many mentions of him working with Stern again, though I cant remember the specifics.

2 weeks later
#32697 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

So we know it is Gomez taking over for Ritchie and now we know it is also a Kapow.

Wait, how do we know that it's a Kapow?

#32951 1 year ago
Quoted from J85M:

Have you had it confirmed by someone it’s Dwight on code?

I think the "+1x" PF Multiplier rule is what makes people expect it to be Dwight, plus it would be his "turn" for a game. So it all makes sense".

#32956 1 year ago
Quoted from J85M:

Tanio had x2, 3, 4 and x5 on the playfield.

He’s not coded a game since Deadpool and Mike & Lonnie haven’t done anything since Stranger things.

Yeah, 2X, 3X, etc. but not the +1X-style phrasing that Dwight did on Mando.

Someone earlier in the thread said that they thought Lonnie wasn't at Stern anymore, not sure if that's true though.

2 weeks later
#33358 1 year ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

If there has to be another rock band pin, they should seriously consider Tenacious D. Jack Black is a big fan of pinball and would probably do the funniest callouts in pinball history.

Their Tommy parody was pure gold.

I feel like Tenacious D would be a perfect theme. I don't think it would need to be a "Rock Band" pin though, more like the way Alice Cooper is done. The fact that Jack Black is a pinball fan could be huge for theme integration. Imagine him, an actual actor/voice actor, doing call outs the way Geddy and Alex do in Rush.

2 weeks later
#33562 1 year ago
Quoted from Gutterghoul:

I thought Futurama cause of the space ship and the show started on the millennium, outside that not sure what other connections could be made

I don't know that he'd be my first choice to do a Futurama pin, but he certainly wouldn't be my last choice either!

1 month later
#34089 1 year ago
Quoted from Rizmo:

I think if Stern teamed up with Nintendo they could make a pretty cool machine

Mario could be such a great theme for pinball. There is so many directions you could go in. But if you could incorporate an overworld element into the game, maybe something like Paddocks/Dinos in Jurassic Park but more varied paths to take and power-ups to earn. The game could revolve around playing levels in a few worlds, each world's boss battle would be a mini-wizard mode and then battle Bowser as the wizard mode. The levels could be a mix of simple and more complex with some freedom and reasons to aim for certain ones or avoid them. The LCD could go from overworld to levels and back.

1 month later
#34858 1 year ago
Quoted from demandecan55:

Ha - yeah this comment is so sad. My wife is in her younger 30's and is into pinball. I wouldn't have a nice collection if it were not her idea. She makes more money so she picks most of the games. For Christmas she asked for pinball mods. And to top it off... we have several friends who are women who also play regularly that are our age. Our Godzilla LE is "hers" and she reminds me of that with a smile quite often.

Having said that my wife would find Barbie very objectionable. She wants BTTF like so many others.

It seems so obvious that lots of women are into pinball. Sure, not every woman is into pinball but the same is true of any sub-group I can think of. But the worst part of this attitude, to me at least, is the sense that people who say this are basically implying that the pinball scene shouldn't even bother trying to cater to or appeal to women because "they don't even care anyway." Either way, the pinball scene in general doesn't give a shit about this stupid mentality and, from what I can tell, more women than ever are getting into pinball.

With that being said, I definitely get a weird feeling when people say how companies should release machines with "women's themes," it feels like a heart in the right place kind of sentiment but maybe missing the mark on the execution a bit. Like, don't women like Metallica, Walking Dead, The Simpsons, etc.? Seems like "Women's themes" are already represented in that regard. Though I do agree that companies being open to less historically conventional themes, like Barbie for example, is a good thing, the reality is that a business NEEDS to cater to where the money is and less conventional themes are inherently more risky just like original themes.

1 month later
#36289 1 year ago
Quoted from frankmac:

That animation is phenomenal.

I think leaning into the slightly low budget style of animation can be a great approach to including lots of animations without looking like crap. Especially when the art actually has some character to it. But, I'm no animator and it's quite possible that this art style actually saves very little time overall.

2 months later
#37211 11 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Licensed from williams/planetary.

Technically you're right (the best kind of right). But I think when people say "licensed" and "unlicensed" we all know they really mean existing/independent theme and pinball/original theme.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Games People

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

9,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ypsilanti, MI
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Lighting - Led
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Twisted Tokens

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 28.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shaub.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine?tu=shaub and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.