Screenshot_20240412_203046_Chrome (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240412_203117_Chrome (resized).jpg
DSC06496 (resized).JPG
DSC06495 (resized).JPG
DSC05223 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #33984 Stern's new factory information Posted by Grantman (1 year ago)

Post #36014 TRAILER: Foo Fighters Pin teaser trailer Posted by Yoko2una (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

260 posts in this topic match your search for posts by rarehero. You are on page 1 of 2.
#6968 4 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

ok, I just checked out Sebastian Bach, Brendon Small and the NIght Flight Orchestra and all artists have made Heavy Metal songs that have nothing to do with the Heavy Metal film in the 80s or 2000 for that matter. So this is going to be a "Heavy Metal" soundtrack of metal songs and probably some original graphics to go with the title. Boooooooo no Heavy Metal movie pinball. Very misleading.

Heavy Metal is a magazine. I know most of us associate the title with the animated movie - but that’s not what’s being made here. This is for fans of the magazine.

#6975 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Is the excitement so low for this that no one has opened a thread for this game?

If anyone is excited to spend $8k on a home edition reskin, by all means, start a thread!

#6978 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Supreme this is not. Big swing and a miss.

It’s not a title that would have sold well as a mainstream release. This is an easy way to use up some Star Wars Home parts & keep the line moving. Even if they sell 50, it’s pure profit.

#6991 4 years ago
Quoted from Darth_Chris:

OMG
Original Soundtrack Featuring Sebastian Bach, Brendon Small, The Night Flight Orchestra ????
Where are black sabbath, sammy hagar, journey, cheap trick, blue oyster cult
How can you have a heavy metal pin without the heavy metal song by sammy hagar ??

Those are songs from the movie. This isn’t based on the movie. It’s based on the magazine the movie was based on.

#7062 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

onto the next stern, heavy metal! Being a contract game, the next corner stone is what May/June?

April. O’Neil.

6 months later
#9619 3 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Based on comics not the movies, think of it like Deadpool.

...but it clearly has Infinity War/Endgame characters & themes.

Soooo...this could be an Avengers tweaked vault with new rules (like BDK morphed into B66). Based on Infinity War/Endgame movies, but with comic book art and fake voices.

Most people hate Avengers tho...wonder if its worth re-skinning a better game vs. altering Avengers.

#9765 3 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

One Avengers pin is more than enough.

Themes have run out. We’re in the pinball reboot age.

POTC
GNR
SW
Elvira
BK
JP
TMNT
...and now Avengers.

In this case, it’s fine. 2012 Avengers pin isn’t well liked, 8 years might as well be 80...the new crop of pin players like the theme & would want a good game using it.

#9767 3 years ago
Quoted from JonCrox:

Don't forget, ahem, Iron Maiden....

There’s only one Iron Maiden band pin.

Stern did a 2nd Rolling Stones, tho!

#9776 3 years ago
Quoted from Saltimbanco:

We like our Hulk LE..

Fantastic. I had some fun with my Avengers Blue LE when I had it, but it is a highly flawed game that needs sooooo much tweaking to play decently. It’s just a fact that it’s not highly regarded.

#9781 3 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

I think that’s what many people have been calling for. Newer modern themes. And now they have it. I see a huge shift in the market. Many newer younger people coming into the hobby so Stern needs to cater to them.

Avengers isn’t “modern”, per se. It’s simultaneously nostalgic & current. Adults, kids, men, women, boys, girls all like it. Nothing Stern hasn’t done before. They’ve been doing Marvel since 2007. They’ve done other similar demographic titles like Simpsons, LOTR & POTC. A title that appeals to ALL is just gonna sell well. Younger people don’t buy games. But a title that appeals to everyone is an easy sell to families.

#9794 3 years ago
Quoted from Saltimbanco:

Underrated game since the beginning. Eventually Stern came back with updated code. Ours is tweaked the way it should, tesseract and a few other extra mods.

Mine was tweaked & had the later code. It still has two fundamental problems:

-The holes in the playfield for the sling switches are smaller than most games, so the sling switch touches the wood when hit & bends. After a few games, this causes the slings to be unresponsive cuz the leaf switches are too far apart. I tried so many things to try to solve this & nothing worked.

-Once you get to the Vs. modes, it’s just non-stop multiball & gets too easy and boring. I don’t think I’ve ever played a game that gets ultra easy the further you get.

#9804 3 years ago
Quoted from Midway-Man:

Wrong... I am 22 so I count myself “young”
My first game I bought NIB was Ghostbusters. This was also my one and only NIB game... For the past 6 month I’m on the lookout for another NIB game. BUT there is just nothing available which appeals to me. So I am still here waiting with enough space and money for a game i like.
But the recent titles from Stern are either just for “older” people or the licenses aren’t that popular. To clarify I am sure StTh, Munsters, Elvira, TMNT are big popular licenses BUT those are mostly known in the US. Stern calls themselves a “global” (lifestyle) brand.
But I don’t see them acting as a “global” brand, when they just publish games with licenses popular in the US.

I never said all their licenses appeal to all. I said Avengers does.

I’m sorry about your first purchase being GB. I hope you get a good game if you try this again.

#9837 3 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Where can I find these netflix stats that show how many people around the world watch stranger things? I thouht it a children's show not watched by more than a few million kids in North America.

LOL It’s a sci-fi/suspense/horror show. What gave you the idea it was for kids? A minute long trailer would tell you what kind of show it was.

Stranger Things is very popular, but while it’s about nostalgia, people aren’t necessarily nostalgic for it, which is needed for strong pre-order sales.

7 months later
#16078 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Mando would be a hard pass for me as well. Theres just not enough content there after only 2 seasons. I also would never buy a pin based on an incomplete TV show as there's never a start to finish of the story represented in the games code. This occurred with TWD, and GOT, each only tell a part of the themes story as the pins were released about half way through the shows life cycle.

It’s a pinball machine, not a DVD box set. There’s about 12 hours worth of Mando content...that’s more than enough for a game that usually lasts 5-10 minutes. LOTR was based on about 10hrs worth of movies...it doesn’t have every single beat or line of dialog. It a “best of”. The 2 seasons of Mando have more than enough adventures, action scenes & characters to make a mode-filled pin.

#16091 3 years ago
Quoted from honkbahh:

Also, not sure Mandalorian qualifies as a major franchise.

It’s f*cking STAR WARS.

#16095 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Right...and events from seasons 3, 4, etc won't ever be represented in the game. Well, unless Stern goes back a year or two later and adds more code...LOL.

Who cares. It’s a short interactive game based on the theme, not an entire story.

#16096 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Same goes for GOT with about half of the show not being represented in game modes.

You think it a possible or relevant to have 8 seasons worth of content in a pin? GOT’s approach was a perfect distillation of this theme. Pick a house, take the throne. These are essentially electronic board games. If you just want to watch a show, go watch the show.

#16107 3 years ago

How so? As far as I can tell, Mando is the one new SW thing that all the fans love. All the new movies suck...Mando is the one new SW thing that actually does seem to have some soul.

#16135 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Buyers care that want a theme to cover it's entire story and a ruleset that makes them feel like they are on an adventure / quest.

Mando w/ 2 seasons can do that.

TMNT doesn’t have the content of the 100s of episodes...or the real voices. People bought it anyway.

GOTG had 1 movie & fake voices, people bought it anyway.

Sopranos doenst have the whole story. Doesn’t matter. You’re doing mob shit & that’s all it needed.

TWD has zero show content. You’re fighting zombies. That’s all it needed

If Mando has 7-10 modes based an action scenes and quests of the existing seasons, that’s enough to make a solid pin. If it has the real music, clips & some good custom voices (Bill Burr, Amy Sedaris, Pedro Pascal) people will be more than happy with it.

#16139 3 years ago
Quoted from BasementFacts:

You’re not wrong that some people buy it anyway. But it sucks and a significant number of people pass on them for these reasons.

Show me evidence that a significant number of people pass on any TV based game for those reasons. Not ONE TV based game contained an entire series worth of story & content.

As beloved as TSPP is, it didn’t have ANY episodic or story content from the series...but it had a ton of jokes, lines, characters, and that’s all it needed.

To be a great representation of a theme does NOT mean a machine has to tell a story of any kind. It just has to be the essence of the story & include iconic elements.

#16143 3 years ago

I have no evidence other than anecdotal Pinside talk. But no one is going to say they want a half-assed use of a license. Dunno why you’re defending poor executive decisions.

The only thing I’m defending is that Mando is a great license to to NOW & that its complete series story arc is irrelevant to making a good pinball. I’ve used tons of great pins a evidence that a complete story is a non-factor in a great game

I never defend poor pinball discussions. I hate TMNT & GOTG due to the horrid fake voices, and those are themes I love.

#16167 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

A blast alone isn't worth $6k - $9k+ for many. We are at the point with these crazy town prices that fun factor and flow (often an excuse for a lack of features in some recent pins) are no longer enough to justify the price tag.
Need more features and toys Take away the standard cabinet and general basic parts in a pin then question what you are getting for $6k - $9k+. $1k per orbit and ramp? $2k for 3 drop targets? $1k for a bobble head on a spring? That's insane but its where we are at.

People are buying more than ever. Why would they change? Ultimately we’re paying for a factory with lots of employees to exist...the price is in no way related to the parts.

#16176 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Since we are either talking Mando or throwing out random ideas based on a Kaneda comment, here is mine...
Contemporary, popular, a fan base, something unexpected, wasnt sure if there was a movie (let's just pretend there isnt), more like Shadow than Afm.
How about Avatar? (The Last Airbender, not the blue people)
I could see some diverters for "Airbending" the ball. Earth would likely just be stand up targets, maybe a smooth loop for water? Fire Nation "battlefield"? Idk. Im just a fan and i see possibilities for pinball. Also, Shadow is probably in my top 5 so id like to see a revisit/reimaginig of that layout

Great idea, but I think the pinball peeps who license themes aren’t in touch with animation outside of the prime time world. Avatar/Korra have a massively passionate fanbase...Nickelodeon is starting a new Avatar Studio to make tons of new show/movies. It’s just gonna get bigger.

#16180 3 years ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

Avatar (blue people) is a rumored JJP game.

JJP sure loves redoing every Stern/DE game. Lol

South Park redo would print money. No one wants another blue peeps Avatar.

#16181 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Lol Gary at home reading this.
[quoted image]

He doesn’t need to read Pinside to know how many games they’re selling.

#16192 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

JJP has so few release slots, I can't imagine them pissing one away on a series on the decline or irrelevant.

*cough cough Pirates cough cough*

#16197 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Movies aside, Pirates is one of the key attractions at Disney, still. Has been for decades. Avatar (movie or attraction) isn't even in the same league.

Pin is based on an irrelevant movie series, tho.

Disney owns Avatar now...we’ll see where it goes in the future. Who can say.

As for pinball, the pinball demographic doesn’t really care about Avatar, that’s for sure.

#16238 3 years ago
Quoted from V8haha:

I wonder what Elwin will do with Mandalorian?

Nothing. Elwin is doing Godzilla.

#16250 3 years ago
Quoted from greenstreet:

would someone please explain why anyone would want this theme? this movie was one of the biggest busts of the 80s ($25mm budget vs $11mm box office).
when i kept seeing it on this forum i though it must have been from a different generation than mine. but i just looked it up, this PG-13 movie came out when i was 14-years old. after watching the trailer i remember how bad it was.
i know, you guys are just fooling around. this is just another Welk thing.

Most of John Carpenters movies were box office flops, but became cult classics later. They Live, for example. I think people think Big Trouble would make a fun pinball theme due to the iconic things they remember about the movie lending themselves to a fun pin: Fun characters, one liners, mystical battles, cool FX, etc. I don't think it has the mainstream nostalgic evergreen quality that other 80's themes like BTTF or GB have...I don't see Stern doing it, as I'm not sure it would have appeal outside the vocal handful who really want it...could be a good Spooky theme, though. Selling 500 is doable.

#16269 3 years ago
Quoted from John0560:

Hell yeah! BTTF! Its our Density.

Lol you’re gonna need a time machine to create an alternate 2021. BTTF isn’t next.

#16348 2 years ago
Quoted from KoSLoW:

Based on the last movie.. and yes not spectacular but it can be a good refresh since T2 pinball

Last movie was a flop. People buy pins when the license is beloved to them. The only Terminator pin that would make sense would be the original movie. It was never done, and people still love it.

#16400 2 years ago

True. But Dad Rock? That's hardly setting a trend. That's gray hairs making decisions because their generation likes it

Classic rock is timeless, and all generations know it and like it. Check out all the music reaction videos on Youtube...20-somethings are listening to AC/DC, Rush, etc and LOVING it.

Spooky at least got it right with R&M. Scooby is a step backward though.

Scooby has never ended. It's relevant to every generation since it started.

#16405 2 years ago

Know what they would love even more? Music from their generation.

Maybe they just like music. Good music is forever.

Because modern Scooby is killing it, isn't? People can't get enough of Scoob, can they? The same gray hairs are green-lighting Scooby "because we liked it 50 years ago".

WB doesn't make Scooby for charity. They make it cuz people watch it/buy it/buy merch. People buy things when they like them. I dunno, weird.

#16406 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

You are truly out of touch if you believe this haha. Also...Rush is prog rock and AC/DC is hard rock. There really is no such thing as “classic rock” outside of the lens of radio formatting. It’s an utterly useless term for listeners to use as it refers to no style in particular (other than the umbrella of “guitar based rock”) and the term continues to absorb newer artists as time progresses. For example...I heard a Foo Fighters song from 20 years ago on a classic rock station the other day. But are they classic rock? Anyway....don’t mind me. I’m annoying.

OMG, f*cking music nerds....

Sorry I used the wrong terms! Point was still valid.

#16419 2 years ago
Quoted from illudiumQ36:

Stern should take a page out of the old Bally book, and use themes based on current day pop culture, not stuff from the past. In the late 1970's Bally made Evel K, Capt Fan, Six Mill Man, Dolly, Wizard, Kiss, Supersonic, Playboy....ALL current topics/themes of the day.

The two eras are fundamentally different for machine sales. In the 70's, the arcade was huge & relevant, and 100% of sales were to operators.

Today the arcade is dead, and a good majority of sales are to home buyers - who are buying a "collectible" based on nostalgic things they love.

#16420 2 years ago
Quoted from Bazzy34:

Down this way in South Florida, people associated with the industry have led us all to believe it’s Back to the Future.

Never trust Florida Man.

#16423 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Your thoughts are valid but your point was not.
[quoted image]

Yes it was. The "kids" won't buy a pinball machine of their favorite music genre. They will, however, enjoy a classic rock pin if one is in front of them.

#16429 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

I happen to actually have a location that is full of kids ages 5-25. Out of 13 pins at any given time the rock band pins consistently earn the least with younger inexperienced players and higher with older pinheads (judging by earnings and ball/ game length in audits. Believe it.

Home sales > Op sales at the moment...so, you're going to see titles that appeal to people who buy for home. Don't put rock pins in your location if they don't perform. Plenty of modern themes like Avengers, Stranger Things, and Stern's next game are available that will work for you & the home buyers.

#16436 2 years ago

Seems like you're still categorizing Age 0-45 as one demographic.

How so? I'm in that demographic...lol...also, I feel like we're fighting and I don't know why. Anyway, enjoy Mando, everyone!

#16437 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Anyway...the majority of 20 somethings consume an overwhelming amount of pop and hip hop, that’s a fact. I’ll post this again...maybe you can get someone to read it for you

They don't buy pins. Pinball companies that make themes for people who buy pins sell pins. A pop/hip-hop theme might do good coin-drop at your particular location. Cool. That's one sale. AC/DC, Metallica & GnR are filling thousands of home game rooms.

#16439 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

You’re not particularly great at following your own subject. I have been focused on this quoted statement alone. It is patently false.

Ya know...I really don't care. I hope you get all the themes you want. I'm gonna go play AC/DC. Peace.

#16533 2 years ago

Not a fan of Earth pop culture, are you?

#16535 2 years ago
Quoted from Jokerman:

No idea what Earth pop culture is either buddy.

The planet you live on. I'm assuming.

Mando is short for Star Wars: The Mandalorian. Hugely popular Star Wars TV show on Disney +, a subscription streaming service.

#16538 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Hugely popular yet mediocre show. Ratings don't always equate to quality. It's really only as popular as it is because the recent star wars movies have set the bar so low.

Yay, opinions!

I think we're spoiled with the amount of content we have and the quality of TV now. Can you imagine of a feature-level show like Mando existed in the 80's or 90's? We'd shit!!!!

I'm not a Star Wars fan, so maybe my expectations are different since I have no emotional investment - but I enjoy Mando. It's pretty much a "fun weekly adventure" Western in space...it looks nice, the music gets stuck in my head, and Baby Yoda Glorgoo is cute. It has interesting casting & cameos. It builds a world & its characters better than most of the SW movies.

Whether you like it or not...it's Star Wars, it's a hit, people love Baby Yoda, it will sell well as a pin.

Quoted from onemilemore:

We had to explain to a friend last night what Ted Lasso was and that Apple + is a thing. Good times were had!

I need someone to explain to me why everyone I know thinks Ted Lasso is funny. I'm 3 eps in and am like
There...that's my unsolicited opinion of a TV show!!!

#16540 2 years ago
Quoted from Jokerman:

Nope. Never been there.
Thank you for the explanation though - you Earth people are highly intelligent.

Thank you! ...and I hope someone makes an Adam Sandler Jack & Jill pin just for you!

#16578 2 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

Just because some youngsters like watching these shows, doesn't necessarily mean they are gonna run out and ask dad to buy a pinball. Or if they do, they convince daddy and will probably have two minutes interest in it.
It then gets moved on.... quickly.
It’s classic themes with nostalgia that hit the mark.

Bruh...

Mando. Is. STAR F*CKING WARS.

The most nostalgic property that adults never stop buying stuff of. To act like Mando is some rando flash in the pan show is a massively wrong hot take.

#16601 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Mando, as a theme, does nothing for me. Having Johnny Crap on art would only make it easier to skip. Location play? Whatever.
In my house? No fugly Johnny Crap art plz.

Crap is not on art.

#16613 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:Never even heard of Mandalorian until this thread. Just on Disney streaming (looks like it)?

Another non-Earthling confirmed. Welcome to our planet & our popular culture.

#16670 2 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

1977-1983 - I was done after that..... twas a slippery slope from there.
Just about everything on the TV is Star Wars these days.
How may times are they gonna milk this cow?
For the franchise...... now the pins
Money spinner to the max, taking two characters that the fans have some magnetic appeal to - a cute green baby Yoda thingy + a Boba Fett
Its done already.
I guess you want a Jar Jar Binks Special Edition too?

Cool story bro. I’m not a Star Wars fan and your opinion is irrelevant to this fact: Star Wars is huge. Mando is huge. This game will be huge. End of story.

#16671 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Johnny Crap’s work is very good and I look forward to seeing what he does with Mando. Johnny don’t give us Crap

He’s not doing it...sooo

#16680 2 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

It’s not going to be Mandalorean. K man is simply wrong like he is 9/10 times.

Is it legal to place bets on Pinside? LET'S GOOOOOO! It'll pay for my Mando lol

#16682 2 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Stern games typically take around 18 months from design to production.

They don't usually take that long. Ritchie takes long...the rest can crank 'em out. Stern has tight ties with Disney/Lucasfilm....and I'm sure the second they saw the show and "Baby Yoda", they locked in the license. It was an obvious hit from Day 1.

#16684 2 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

I hope Stern surprises us like they did with AIQ. If Stern could keep a Elwin-ZY pin under wraps I am hoping for something that isn't on anyones radar.

LOL just accept it. TAKE IT. Embrace the Mando. Love the Mando.

#16686 2 years ago

My money is on BTTF but it's kind of a red/black bet.

Let's go...lets place bets! I love free money.

#16690 2 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:Everyone saying how much they love "Mando" but still calling him "baby Yoda"?
Blasphemy!!

Sorry...GLORGOO!!!!

#16698 2 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

I ain’t great at what I do either btw.

Oh staaahp. You know you're the best, you know your work moves games, you know we want you to do every game. Appreciate the humbleness...but c'mon, BASK IN IT!!!!

#16730 2 years ago
Quoted from Rodent:

Using the logic posed for a Mando pin, it’s more likely that the next Stern release will be based on the TV show American Idol

Please explain this "logic".

One is a cinematic sci-fi action/adventure show based on the most popular franchise ever.

One is a singing game show.

#16776 2 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

Hate to say Chris & MJF won’t be around forever.

You’re assuming they’d even do it. You’re assuming Stern could even license the footage/audio/music of the movie. Look at the Zen Pinball BTTF. Only thing on it is the car. Voices are all fakes. Music is fake. Original BTTF pin couldn’t get MJF’s license. If a BTTF pin ever does happen, you’ll likely be very disappointed.

Enjoy Mando!

#16782 2 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

Why would this be so hard to fathom?
If they can get A-list groups such as Met + GnR to do call outs then why not?

They’re old. They don’t sound like their characters anymore. They also don’t need the work.

Ideal situation: All voices/clips/music from the movie, hire Biff for custom voices...he can taunt the player as Young Biff, Old Biff, Griff, and Mad Dog. Maybe toss in Goldie Wilson as well...he’s around! “Pinbaaaalll....I like the sound of that!”

#16787 2 years ago

How is something that happened 30 years ago relevant today? Besides, the next BTTF is a Kapow title. He doesn’t fuck around with licenses.

LOL he’s the same guy who worked for DE 30 years ago.

Look, I want a perfect BTTF as much as anyone - I’m just keeping my expectations in check based on the history.

#16794 2 years ago
Quoted from DaMoib:

Marc Maron interviewed Chris last month... to understand what makes Christopher Lloyd tick it's worth a listen! He sounds like a genuinely nice guy who is grateful for his BTTF fame, LOVED the Nobody role and wants to keep working.

Thanks- I didn’t realize Maron was still doing his podcast...adding & listening now!

#16808 2 years ago
Quoted from DentalDude88:

Why so confident?

Why so not?

I’m ready to place bets. Free money!!! Wooo! lol

#16850 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

That’s exactly what I’m saying. The theme will have no legs, at least not long term.

Yeah, why would a Star Wars theme have legs?!?! You should totally replace Stern’s marketing people. What dopes!!!

#16876 2 years ago

I think y’all are overestimating the popularity of Mandalorian

You’re underestimating it.

It will sell well on theme alone...and if code/play/art all come together, it’ll have legs.

#16878 2 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

I’m thinking the same with JAWS but if he had legs would he be a land shark or a SHORSE ? [quoted image]

We need a Shorse game. Now.

#16883 2 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

When was the last time we saw anything from DC comics? Batman? Superman? Anything else?
[quoted image]

Batman Dark Knight & Batman 66.

#16975 2 years ago
Quoted from greenstreet:

What about Ready Player One?
It has all of the 80s nostalgia.

That’s all it had, and it was kind of gross. One of the worst movies I’ve ever seen.

#17020 2 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

Spooky is making this

Nope. False rumor.

#17037 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

AWOTM
[quoted image]

Selma! Get me out of here!!!!

#17074 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I tried to love my WOZ also because it was my only NIB game. I even bought a new PF for it after the ink chipped off the original. I just couldnt get into it no matter how hard I tried.

Did you try making sweet passionate love to a man? According to many on Pinside, this was the fundamental key to unlocking the joy of WOZ!

#17080 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

This thinly-veiled recruiting post is in the wrong thread.

My bad, where's the "I want to get it on with zr11990" thread?

#17084 2 years ago

So we can learn to love WOZ...together.

#17089 2 years ago

I know.

This joke has run its course. Thank you for playing!

#17093 2 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

When Stern finally announces Broke Back, would you and ZR dress up like cowboys together at Expo?

I mean, we do that together normally...so why not!

#17102 2 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

I wonder if cara dune will feature in the game as Disney gave her the spear at the end of season 2. Surely the game would have been basically finished before that even happened.

Code is the last thing that is finished...in fact, it’s usually not finished until years after the game’s release. If she’s not in the game it’s not due to the production timeline, it’s because she torpedoed her career by being a shitbag.

#17113 2 years ago
Quoted from ItsBwalt:

I'd recommend you watch her interview before being so judgmental.

I have. My judgment is sound.

#17125 2 years ago

Very doubtful Disney would have control over the code, art, etc (or remembers this pinball license) this late in the game. It would fuck Stern and Stern could probably sue depending how much work has been done.

LOL, Disney literally has 100% control & it will be the licensed product they want it to be. If Stern goes against their wishes as the licensor, Stern will be the one in legal jeopardy. You think Stern wants to battle Disney’s lawyers?! lol ...if they want Gina out of the product, she’s out of the product.

She hasn’t been edited out of the show, so maybe she’ll be in the game. Either way, it’s Mousey’s call.

#17128 2 years ago

Everything has already been greenlit by now. A licensor can’t just keep changing things forever. It would ruin the licensee’s business and reputation. No way Stern would say “yes masa” if the cabinets are already in production, unless the extra money and time to remake the cabs are on Disney’s dime (which is certainly plausible). All that aside, I can’t fathom the pettiness on Disney’s part if they did that. I still don’t think they care that much about pins.

They are strict about licensing. Stern can’t just put Kermit the Frog on the pin if they feel like it. All art and asset use must be approved. The Gina blowup happened last year. If she was theoretically planned to be on the art, art & decal printing probably haven’t happened yet - those changes could be made today & not affect anything. However, since her ouster was last year, it’s a non-issue if they wanted her absent from the game.

This happened in Feb...plenty of time to yank her from the pin art if she was in it.
https://www.comicsbeat.com/hasbro-cancels-cara-dune-figures/

#17130 2 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

Are you getting your parties muddled up?
Stern is the Licensee not the Licensor - Disney is the Licensor.

Nope, you’ve just misread what I wrote.

“Their wishes as the licensor” = Disney.

#17140 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

For Mando I would like to see at least 12 main objective modes (say 6 for each season, two mode ladders)

Please god no, no ladders....we don't want this game getting Goatf***ered.

Random modes for life!!!!!

#17143 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

To me deep and complex are not the same thing. I am super happy with lots of modes that are simple. To me that's a deep game, it still takes a lot of effort and time to work your way through. Complex rules, when you have to do this then that, stack this over that with 50X multiplier and only do this if you do that, I just can't be bothered.
I love BSD, it has very simple rules, it really only has 2 modes and 3 multiballs. It is still amazing when you blow it up and I keep going back for more.
I enjoy AC/DC but I could not care less about score on it. It is just too much to figure out. I just enjoy working my way through the songs to try and get to encore. It's a pin that works both ways, I guess.

Agreed. Lyman is the best at making a game that can work for everyone. I'll never figure out those complex scoring techniques in AC/DC, but the tourney players can enjoy that. I can play it like a mode based game & see how many songs I can get through, and enjoy it that way. He's really good at making very layered games...and you can choose how many layers you want to bother with, and it can be enjoyed no matter what.

#17144 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

How about mode ladders but random or player selected? I wouldn't want to have to play them in order either.

Ladders by their nature are linear...climb one rung at a time. A normal random mode game doesn't need ladders.

#17148 2 years ago

The concept of depth in a vacuum is meaningless. Sure, it sounds great...but it really just depends on the theme & layout. The physical play, rules and theme all have to make sense together. Sure, Iron Man *could* have had tons of modes based on various narrative scenes in the movie....but it ended up working perfectly just being a "battle" game. It really has no modes, just objectives to "collect" & battles. Simple. However, within that, there is some depth & strategy that keeps it from being boring. It's just the perfect combo for THAT game. Then I can go play LOTR with it's deep ruleset and many modes...because that works for that game.

#17153 2 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

A lot of the Stern "modern-classics" lean to the rules and execution-based depth: TSPP, LOTR and lots of the most recent games.

TSPP and LOTR depth are different than current games, though. I've had both of them for over a decade, and I couldn't tell you what ANYTHING scores. I just know how to progress through modes & multiballs, and if I do well at them, good score will come with good play. Modern games sometimes have a whole math chess nature to them that overshadows organic play and progression...you truly do have to memorize weird strategy over what for is is a more natural & rewarding style of play.

#17165 2 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Yep, having been involved in various game licensing situations (including one with Disney), I can verify this.
Just before we released a Star Trek:TNG game, Paramount suddenly told us that we could no longer use Cardassians as an enemy in our game, because they were now reserved for the Deep Space Nine license. Even though that same week, the new TNG episode had Picard being captured (and tortured) by the Cardassians. We had to do a last minute scramble to find a suitable replacement villain and re-do the artwork.

Haha, what year/game was it? I was a tester on a PC game called Deep Space 9: Harbinger. I think it was ‘95? I don’t remember if the game has Cardassians in it, but I wonder if that was the game.

#17170 2 years ago

Right - but I wonder if the DS9 game I was working on was the reason you had to axe the Cardassians.

#17182 2 years ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

The VR star wars tables just came out on the oculus quest today. I played their Mando pin and Cara dune was thankfully on the artwork with call outs. I could care less what she tweats in real life.
Hearing the theme song with Mando mumbling about his next job wasn't very exciting..

Zen games have notoriously shitty sound design. They don't know how to choreograph or mix well.

#17186 2 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I’d be fine with it, I actually like all the comic scenes they show during the credits of the show.

Those aren't really comic style....they're the concept art/art direction for the show.
https://www.starwars.com/news/the-art-of-the-mandalorian

#17259 2 years ago
Quoted from onemilemore:

Want to circle back to this because I would be hilariously into this theory. Would be some next-level trolling by Stern if they were somehow leaking Zen tables as their next release.

Nah, one has nothing to do with the other. Zen has been doing their own Marvel, Star Wars, Alien etc video game pins for quite some time. They get the licenses and do their own thing with it...there's no crossover with physical pinball manufacturers. Stern's doing their own Mando.

#17272 2 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

How is it possible that there are so many mopey people in a hobby built around fun? Absolutely mindblowing.

Isn’t every hobby like that? The olds hate the newbs, everyone thinks they have the “right way to hobby” & everyone judges everyone.

#17283 2 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

I really don't understand why Stern insists on shipping their machines before the software is finished. It seems like it just hurts them in the long run.

Because they can. Older games had chips that needed to be burned with code updates...more difficult, so people & ops didn't do it much. It became much easier when you could download and update with a USB stick or SD card. At the end of the day, they're running a manufacturing factory...it has to keep churning. If they stop because the code needs more time, that's a factory fail. The ability to update later means they can keep the factory building/shipping & catch up finishing the game later.

Not saying I like it...it puts the customer in the position of spending a lot of money on an unfinished/untested machine, becoming a beta tester...but this is the reason.

#17291 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

When I see a route pin like that Spiderman (or worse) with gunky rubber mess all over the playfield, it's like hitting the jackpot because that debris has protected the playfield, and when it's cleaned off the playfield will look fantastic. So I always buy them, and you should, too.

Yup, I bought an Elvis & Monster Bash with pitch black play fields...cleaned up beautifully.

#17308 2 years ago
Quoted from rlslick:

Not sure it will hold, we'll see if it cools down or not. Supply and Demand and when it comes down to Tron...period. It was the one title Stern did not make a premium for.

There were more. Avatar LE & Rolling Stones LE...there were Pros, but no Premium. Transformers had Pro, LE, and Autobot/Decepticon Editions...no Premium. AC/DC was the first to offer a Premium with all the LE features. X-Men had Pro/LE, and no Prem as well.

#17310 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

ELVIS had no premium.

Elvis was the same game with Gold Trim. Avatar was the first LE to have new & different features.

#17325 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Sure. My personal rehab rule is no more than 2 pins at once. I had up to 15 at one point. All perfectly restored by me. Whittling that down was REALLY hard when I got down to the last 4 or 5 of "my babies." Now it's not that hard anymore, and I always have enough pinball to play.

I think I was up to 36 at my nuttiest. I wish I had the ability to cull more. One day....I’m not there yet.

#17354 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Did they have the 3 tier system then.

Yes, it was after AC/DC....I don’t think they were confident in X-Men’s sales, so they killed the Prem to create FOMO on the LE. Probably a good idea considering all the issues the LE had...bad aux boards, ice ramps not working right, Wolverine’s poor mounting & breaking, etc. A Prem would have had the same problems.

#17382 2 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

XMEN changed more than any Stern has EVER changed. Where the game started and where it finished are dramatically different. A total overhaul.
It became a very good, very deep game, and with the after market sound package, no one has to listen to the call outs Rarehero bitched about ad nauseum.

98FA0D25-9631-4ACD-B68D-6613D7D4A652.gif98FA0D25-9631-4ACD-B68D-6613D7D4A652.gif
#17415 2 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

JAWS to be announced 4th of July weekend / Summer
Back To The future to be announced 10-21-21 or 11-5-21" / Fall
Harry Potter / Christmas / Winter
[quoted image]

Fake news.

#17416 2 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

I can’t believe Stern would do Rush before Queen or Black sabbath.

Someone else is doing Queen & Black Sabbath doesn't have the Venn diagram of people who would buy a machine like Rush fans.

#17449 2 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

Actually Deep Root is announcing a Duck Tales Pinball machine with all of the money they collected they want to re-create the Scrooge McDuck vault scene for their reveal.
[quoted image]

It’s Derp Root, so it would end up like this:

88D6F086-2925-4512-9F20-5D12CDE6AEDE.gif88D6F086-2925-4512-9F20-5D12CDE6AEDE.gif
#17487 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Good point on Deadpool, Stern did a nice job with the animations on that game. The 8 bit style animations look great.

16-bit, Brotendo!

#17496 2 years ago

EHOH looks like a PC game from 1997. Main reason I didn't buy it.

My wife said the same thing when she saw Dialed In & Star Wars. Most of the LCD work has a 90’s PC CD-ROM vibe.

#17506 2 years ago

What say you now, those who DOUBTED!?!?!?! lol

#17512 2 years ago

I snuck into the factory & got a pic of the Glorgoo toy!

A466C731-22D8-46CF-B9C8-ADDD4B31F0DE (resized).jpegA466C731-22D8-46CF-B9C8-ADDD4B31F0DE (resized).jpeg
#17532 2 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

I hope its not Dwight...

Stern programmers have been doing all kinds of wacky things lately...some people enjoy recent rules & code - I'm one who doesn't.

Mando seems like it's IMPOSSIBLE to screw up no matter who's coding it. Not to say it can't happen, but I'll be bummed if it goes into math-chess tourney territory. The show's relatively modular action/quest episodes really lend themselves to a nice classic type of pinball ruleset. A handful of modes that are action scenes or quests...and few multiballs based on iconic events...a few wiz modes based on big story finales. Throw in some other little bits of business to collect so there's always other things to do outside of or stacking with modes...and boom, you've got a game.

#17541 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Cheap shots at Dwight are so lame. He’s an excellent coder. Lord of the rings awesome, Ghostbusters awesome, TMNT awesome, TSPP awesome, Game of Thrones awesome...oh, Munsters? Not his fault. Borg told to keep the games rules and code simple like a 90’s BW and that precisely what he did. People who wanted a game with a deep all set and tons of assets should not have bought munsters , period.

Keith Johnson did TSPP & LOTR. Not Dwight.

“Simple” doesn’t have to mean “easy boring trash”. Borg designed Iron Man & Tron. Simple games with simple rules - but simple rules that are exciting, fun and addicting.

#17543 2 years ago
Quoted from PilotPinball:

Still waiting for Godzilla.

Up next.

#17544 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

TSPP, a snoozer? You must not be very good at pinball. It really only rewards more advanced players.

TSPP rules...but some people are flowhoes & cannot accept a game that isn’t 100% speed.

#17551 2 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

He works part-time?
I don’t hope so.

You can't rush a genius.

#17575 2 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

actually got tired of the 35+ minute games, its in my sold list.....keep chopping chump

I'm not fond of 35 minute games these days either...but TSPP and LOTR are the absolute best if you're gonna have a long-haul game. I do think about selling my TSPP sometimes...but it falls into that "It means something to me" category...hard to purge even though I don't fire it up often.

#17576 2 years ago
Quoted from chooch:

Then followed by a Borg/Lyman on RUSH.

This is my dream music theme with the one coder I can always trust to bring it home as a work of art & fun, and - he's a mega super Rush fan....soooo, I really really really really hope this rumor is true.

#17584 2 years ago
Quoted from PinBalt:

Im a fan and dream pin as well. How do you know Lymans a Rush Fan?

Rush fans know Rush fans.

#17597 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Tanio. I'm hoping he is doing the Spike LotR port

Why do you repeatedly talk about this as thought it's a fact?

#17603 2 years ago

No. What makes you think it is?

#17605 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

1. Stern likes money.
2. Game is essentially done. Porting a sure thing is much less cost/risk than a from-scratch pin.
3. It would sell a ton.
4. Amazon is spending $450 million for ONE SEASON of middle earth, and that new multi-season LotR content from them is not far off.
5. Gomez has said on multiple occasions if there's enough demand for a pin, Stern will fill it.
6. LotR is, not coincidentally, one of Gomez's best designs.
7. Licensing crosstalk.
8. Stern denies stuff strongly until literally the day of announcement at times. See: AC/DC Luci vault.
9. Strong need to erase dickbeard LE.
When they announce it, I'll be first in line. The LotR upgrade to Spike is one of the best ideas Stern ever had.

Weird that you’re still peddling this as an absolute and something in progress. Pure speculation. They’re not making it. lol.

New games are selling like crazy. There are already almost 10k LOTR machines out there. Demand was filled. A vault wouldn’t sell nearly as well as you think it would (all those LOTR owners aren’t going to buy it twice), and it wouldn’t sell as well as a new title would in this market.

#17613 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

We disagree.
I still like you otherwise, though.

This isn’t an agree/disagree thing. I get that you think it’s a good idea & that you want it. I want a CGC Big Bang Bar...and while it could happen, I don’t know that it will. You’re spreading disinformation by presenting it as an absolute fact that it’s actively being developed.

#17700 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

Munsters was my worst NIB purchase ever
Terrible game

I wish Munsters was amazing...I loved the show when I was a kid, the theme music is awesome, and the B&W Premium is one of the most gorgeous games I’ve ever seen.

So many pins with themes I love, but ultimately I won’t buy...GB, Munsters, GOTG, TMNT. Makes me a little sad.

#17708 2 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

TMNT is fantastic IMO. Code depth matches the gameplay perfectly. Aside from Maiden, I can't get enough of it.

Since I was obsessed with TMNT as a kid, the horrible fake voices & N64-level LCD animation ruined it for me. Games are to expensive for inaccurate theme representation...even if the code is good, I’m cringing too much to get into it. When my dream themes aren’t done right, the dream is crushed and that $$$ stays in the bank.

#17711 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Have you seen the 1989 cartoon code hack? It’s awesome. Tons of well integrated clips, total game changer. Don’t sleep on TMNT, it’s awesome.

I played it....it made me sleep.

I saw one hack with the show footage, but it still had fake voices.

For me, a pinball machine is special when it’s done right from the factory. JK Simmons in Spidey, Justin Roiland in Rick & Morty, etc. JK with lines like “Headline: Terrible pinball player terrorizes arcade!!!” - you don’t get that from a hack, you get that because it was done right from the start.

#17720 2 years ago

Why does everyone assume it’s a specific guy’s (like Dwight) fault? From my experience, 99% of the time it’s an executive’s fault for rushing a product that’s not ready or reassigning people to different projects. Gary had zero incentive to improve GB, so my guess is Dwight did it in his down time. Sounds like a good guy to me. I have no doubt he wants to make everything he touches awesome if he had the time. That’s the mentality of any creative professional.

If you compare it to a movie, the coder of a Stern game is essentially the “writer” & “director”. They’re creating the ruleset & programming it. It’s a huge role, and the tone, style and execution of the game is on their shoulders. Gary is merely a “producer”. He doesn’t care as long as it’s finished and sold. In the case of Dwight’s games, it’s his specific choices that have been divisive. The complexity of Star Wars, the linear ladders on GB, the style of simplicity on Munsters. Some people like all this stuff - and it does all function as intended. People make it too personal, which is unfortunate, as Dwight is a great person and a hard worker...but like any artist, the art is subjective...and when people don’t like it, who else can they single out besides the artist? Like - I HATE Roland Emmerich movies. They all suck in similar ways...ID4, Godzilla, The Day After Tomorrow etc...his creative instincts taint them all. Yet, they’ve made a ton of money, so they’re entertaining people...and I’m sure he’s a nice person...I just have a negative opinion on his artistic choices.

#17731 2 years ago

You’re confirming my statement that he’s an executive with authority to ship products without them being finished. Dwight has a boss. If it’s not Gary, it’s someone else. Blame the boss. It’s silly to think Dwight is just haphazardly doing whatever he feels like.

Finished/unfinished is beyond the programmers control. The ship date is the ship date. However, the rules, concepts and execution is the programmer's choice. Those choices are what's been divisive with Dwight's games.

#17757 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

People are always buying before trying. Look at all those with deposits on Mandalorian LE. Game hasn’t been seen and people have locked up most of the product. This is a prime condition for disappointment. What will game look like, what will it shoot like, what are the toys? Nobody knows but a lot of people are already betting on it. I hope it is good, but I need to play it first. Also have the playfield issues been fixed? Can’t gamble and buy a game if I don’t know it is solid.

Why you hate pinball, bruh?!

#17760 2 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Stern/Dwight doesn’t give a flip on Munsters, so lackluster sales is the results

Don’t make it so personal. He made the game he wanted to make...you either like it or don’t.

Does the game have any bugs or crashes? If not, then he’s done his job & it is what it is.

#17768 2 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

How can it not be personal?

Because he didn’t slap your mom around...he made a game you didn’t like.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#17769 2 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

When has Stern ever fallen short of 1.0 code?

WOF was 6.0 ...but that didn’t really mean anything.

#17804 2 years ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

Maybe people are too ashamed to admit they bought a shitty game about a shitty 50 year old TV show no one cares about.

Shots fired. Lol

If anyone wants to secretly sell me a B&W Munsters Prem for $3k, I’ll take it off your hands behind the scenes so you can avoid this type of public shaming.

#17814 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

Out of space.. what would you let go out of this line up..

Easy, Goatf***ers goes. You have games that play like games, you should instinctively know this.

Toss Guardians of the Bobaleebobo as well, Munsters too while you're at it...refresh that game wall!

#17816 2 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

Yup just shows how much you think the game is really worth!

I've always been a "bang for the buck" buyer. I wouldn't pay current prices for most of my collection....but I sure do love my $700 BK2K, $1200 Dr. Who, $2400 Addams & $1200 WH2O! I wouldn't want Munsters for the going rate...but chop it in half, I'm there!

Quoted from Squizz:

If I could get $13,000 AUD I would sell my Munsters LE in a heart beat!

I wouldn't even want the LE...I much prefer the B&W Prem. If I got a Munsters, I'd have to get that one just because it looks so F'ing cool.

#17830 2 years ago
Quoted from Cdonnerusmc:

I just hope Stern does something more special for the Limited Edition buyers to justify the $12,500.00 price tag.

It’s $9200. Not a Super LE situation here.

#17838 2 years ago
Quoted from K9Marshal:

Some Distributors are already pricing it like a SLE - one offered me a spot for $11,900 and another said to submit highest offer by next week

Whoever’s doing that is an a-hole, and if anyone is paying a distrib that much, they’re an a-hole. When things like this happen, I kinda hope the game sucks & all the mechs break lol

#17975 2 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

I just think the backglass is lack luster so far...

Remember, it’s mirrored.

#18119 2 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

expression lighting for Mando??? Why not???

That’s what you put in a music game that doesn’t have anything to trick people into thinking it has something.

#18121 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Oh yeah, I agree...I've already voiced my dismay at how they put such a large toy there that apparently does nothing..not even a bash toy.

It makes people come over and put money in it. Once they realize he doesn’t do anything, it’s too late! Bwahaha!!!

#18136 2 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

I bet Lyman and Borg are doing Pink Floyd.

You spelled RUSH wrong.

#18149 2 years ago

Why do you want to crush the dreams of nerdy doughy 40-60 year old mens, bruh?!?!

#18151 2 years ago
Quoted from JWP72:

Borg on Toho Godzilla next?

Elwin. This has been known for months.

#18155 2 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

What is Rush? The movie?

Stop. Use the internets.

Quoted from Jaybird815:

This is why I doubt a Rush pin will be made, not too popular outside of North America. Every time this comes up everyone on pinside from Europe and Australia says “Who?” Lol

They’ll retheme it as Vegemite & Kangaroos for them. Every home in Canada will buy Rush.

#18162 2 years ago
Quoted from Zartan:

It said they need a certain amount of people guaranteed to buy the design before they will produce it. You also basically need to design every aspect of it. Including a white wood model.

...and manufacture it yourself. Basically, Derp Roop is useless.

#18180 2 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Getty Lee ruins rush. Awful smurf voice.

Angel Smurf from Smurf Heaven...pipe that Smurf voice right into my Smurf ears!!!!

I just Smurfed.

#18185 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Money better spent than a moving helmet playfield. At least a force-wielding, ball levitating baby yoda is on theme and the engineering has already happened on JM for the effect.
Was that moving playfield supposed to be his ship originally and Disney rejected it? At least that makes more sense than a pivoting helmet which makes no sense at all.

The only thing I can think of is that it'll sync up to what's on the LCD...you'll be in the helmet playfield during a shootout, and as you hit the targets, Mando will be blasting the bad guys...if you "drain" before hitting all the targets, maybe it'll show him getting hit.

#18248 2 years ago
Quoted from Knackers:

There are a lot of us Aussie who can't stand the taste of Vegemite, Kangaroo on the other hand, yum.

Listen to some Rush while you eat your McJoey

#18249 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I really feel like Godzilla is a code name like Jaws was for JP.

LOL, nah bro...Elwin is doing Godzilla. No need to speculate.

#18251 2 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

Stop calling gregory baby yoda!

Stop calling Glorgoo “Gregory”!!!!

2 years later
#38210 9 months ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Good photo of the same jerk (SD) that ruined everything he touched at Disney and now he’s doing it to Stern too. When Gary was at the helm we paid under $10k for LEs, with Davis, we are paying $3,000.00 more with no end in sight. Seth has killed the golden goose by his greed. No inflation is not to blame on this one. If inflation were the issue, then why were Pros only raised 1% and Pre/LEs such a large percentage jump? This idiot could care less about the pinball consumer, raising topper prices too. Buy an LE with topper and pay $15k, plus tax and shipping, now were at $16,5k. Yes, CEOs/Pres are responsible for those decisions, no one else.

Your vitriol for Seth and sainthood for Gary is a bit weird. The Pro/Prem/LE concept come into being under Gary. Full featured pins went from ~$4000 in 2010 to $6000-$7000 under Gary just a few years later. Prices kept climbing year after year…it had zero to do with Seth. Remember Batman SLE for $15k? Pre-Seth. The company kept growing. They added a huge animation team, more programmers, more designers. Ultimately that’s what inched prices higher. They have people to pay.

Quoted from Thunderbird:

Give people a great product for a decent price and they’ll stay with you.

The pinball market doesn’t function like normal products. There’s never been a “decent price”. To normies, pinball was unattainable when they were $4000 NIB. It’s a niche product with a niche audience who has proven they will pay crazy prices to own this particular product because they love it so much. Mainstream products have competition to keep prices down. Don’t wanna pay $10 for a sandwich? You can find a place to get one for $5…another for $3. That economy doesn't exist in pinball. If you MUST have a pinball, you’ll pay the price. If you can afford $10k, you can afford $12k. If you can afford $12k, you can afford $15k. No pinball company has suffered for their pricing. What kills then is manufacturing issues or just making bad themes/games. Stern hasn’t released a game that was universally viewed as terrible in a long time. They’re on a roll. As long as the product remains desirable, they have zero reason to question their pricing structure.

#38421 9 months ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Venom...yeesh! I feel sorry for dealers on this one!

Why? Venom is one of Marvel’s most popular characters & a little bad-assery makes for fun pinball. Theme is solid. Only thing that will make dealers sad is if the game doesn't live up to the expectations of fans/players who are expected to pay up a nice chunk ‘o change.

#38433 9 months ago
Quoted from underlord:

Yeah, I’m with Doug on this one. Seth Davis wants to price out 95% of the buyers that’s fine. I won’t be included in that other 5%. Jaws or not. Time to get smarter with my hobby.

Yes yes, we all hate higher prices…but Stern’s Pro & Premium will always be cheaper than what the competition is offering…and they’ll prob offer another home game as well…something the competition doesn’t do.

#38455 9 months ago
Quoted from beltking:

Doubt stern will pay the money for McFarlane or ozzy.

Yeah, I can’t imagine Stern paying to put licensed rock music in a game.

#38482 9 months ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Does Venom garnish FOMO?
Not sure if Foo Fighters garnished FOMO?
Is FOMO fading in the wind faster than a fart?
Rise above FOMO and wait for the dust to settle-your wallet will thank you [quoted image][quoted image]

I think Stern might have transcended FOMO. People see a game that just looks F’ing cool & they want it. I dunno, that’s how I was with Foo. I was never a Foo fan, didn’t plan on buying it. After the reveal I was just like “WANT”. My fav distrib had an LE, so I bit. Same thing could happen on Venom, provided it checks all the boxes for enough people. We’ll see!

#38492 9 months ago
Quoted from Vino:

So basically FOMO.

Hah. Nah, FOMO IMO is irrational buying purely due to rarity…even if you don’t really care about the product. FOMO drove HW/UM sales because people didn’t wanna miss out on the next game that went up in value like R&M. Bond $20k edition didn’t sell well, perhaps proving that FOMO has cooled. People didn’t buy it because they just didn’t want it, especially at that price. I didn’t fear missing out on Foo LE. I just decided I wanted it & one was available. If it was sold out, I would have just waited for a used one or maybe gone with a Premium.

#38680 9 months ago
Quoted from Saltimbanco:

Tron VE or Tron Ares?
I'm wishing and dreaming

Prediction: Tron Aeres gets cancelled & becomes a tax write off. After Indiana Jones was an overpriced flop, are they really going to spend that much or more for a franchise that has never made money?

#38825 9 months ago
Quoted from Grantman:

Movies have made more money on DVD/Blu-ray sales & rentals (now streaming) than at the box office for the past 15 years. That doesn't include merchandising, which is big for Tron and huge for Indy. Everyone overstates the importance of how movies do at the box office.

The business has changed. These big budget movies have to make their money at the box office, cuz dvd/blu sales aren’t there anymore and they’re losing money from streaming. Every Tron project has been a flop. I loved Tron Uprising - shame that didn’t catch on. Is Tron merch THAT profitable when the films/shows can’t break beyond niche?

#38828 9 months ago
Quoted from Nicholastree:

1. TSPP vault (20 year anniversary). Will it happen? Nope.

TSPP was such a good game and in many collectors hands - I feel like a new Simpsons game would ultimately be more profitable. TSPP owners/Simpsons fans would likely buy a new Simpsons as a companion to their TSPP. I think Stern designers would be up to the challenge to try to make something equal or better than TSPP, and having real Simpsons animation on the LCD would be cool. Brand new footage made by 20th just for the game would be amazing…they did custom footage for the video game that came out a bit ago & custom footage for Simpsons at the Hollywood Bowl. They’d definitely make new pinball footage. I think your Treehouse of Horror idea would be fantastic.

#38834 9 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

It doesn't include the marketing budget. The rule of thumb is 2x the production budget = profit point. Tron Legacy basically broke even.

This^^^

Theaters take half, too.

Quoted from Grantman:

Again, those numbers don't include DVD sales & rentals, and a lot of merchandising. They obviously made money.

…and that was over a decade ago. The business model has changed, and big budget movies are suffering if they don’t make their money back during the theatrical run.

#38840 9 months ago
Quoted from FlippyD:Successful enough to warrant multiple major global theme park attractions.

Tron, if anything, LOOKS & SOUNDS cool. It totally lends itself to a kickass ride. People will go to Diz World regardless of Tron. I don’t think it moves the needle on people buying tickets…but if you’re there already, it’s a cool thing to check out.

Tron has never been successful, but Diz really wants to keep it alive as an exclusive I.P. They just really don’t know what to do with it to make it mainstream like a POTC or Frozen.

#38841 9 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

You guys should probably listen to the guy who literally works in Hollywood under the mouse's thumb

All hail Lord Mouse!!!!!

#38843 9 months ago
Quoted from Grantman:

So there are digital downloads and streaming subscriptions instead of DVD sales & rentals. They are still selling the product. And merchandising still exists.
If nothing else, they are creating content for their (and other) streaming services. Disney+ has 150 million subscribers. They have to keep adding content or people are going to drop it.

They’ve lost SOOOO much money from streaming. Spending tons to send content to streaming is NOT paying off. On top of not paying off, it’s sniffed out a big chunk of the digital download & physical media market. What they’re making now from home media is TONS LESS than what it was pre-streaming, and it’s shaking up the whole industry. Plenty of stories about it to read if you don’t believe me. Streaming has become a financial burden for most of these companies & creatives. Read up on the writers and actors strike.

#38868 9 months ago
Quoted from Prince66cali:

FF is a washed up band from the 90s. Venom is in his prime.

My cousin brought her kids over to my house for the first time - her 13 year old son LOVES Foo Fighters & knew all the songs in the pin. Her 10 year old daughter went straight to Metallica.

#39105 9 months ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

I'd like to see Stern try another original IP theme again, enough with the comics and 70's bands. I was thinking... ZOMBIE YETI! (could even be a re-skin of an great design, like Iron maiden...)

Stern likes making money. Sorry.

#39108 9 months ago
Quoted from beltking:

Yep I heard jaws will have price increase and prem/le/ sle at 50. If they raise prices it will be Elwin pin. Hopefully doesn’t happen.

No Pro?

#39164 9 months ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

I’d be down for a Beetlejuice pin.
[quoted image]

Do I spring for the “Goofer You” LE or the “Bad As Can” SLE?!

#39238 9 months ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Why do we need 3 models anyway...
Why not just make one and do it well and price it 8k.
You want more, buy the high dollar Stern accessories and build it up if you want for total 11k if you go all in on topper, side armor, shooter rod, expression lights, upgraded back glass, etc

It’s literally how Stern stays in business. They almost went under, and then the 3 tier model saved them. As a manufacturer, they have to always be churning. They can’t have a lull while people “wait and see”. This model guarantees they sell at set amount of LEs up front, because the psychology works on collectors…they’ll also sell a set amount of Pros up front to operators. Those sales alone keep the factory moving…and if the game sells zero after that, they’re already breaking even or even profiting on that game. Then the game can get a reputation, and if it’s good, it keeps selling. Repeat with the next title, stay in business.

#39242 9 months ago
Quoted from kool1:

ier model is all good and the LEs are big profits for Stern for sure. I'll bet well over half of the pros made these days never see a location floor these days though. Most people I know (including myself) have largely or all pro machines, their are definitely the value machine and the player's machine.

You’re probably right - but there’s no compelling reason to buy a Pro at launch. LE compels 1000 instant sales before anyone plays, at a price way beyond the profit margin of the other models. Continued interest & Pro sales months/years out from launch are part of the plan that keeps the factory churning. LEs basically prevents any game from being a financial flop. They’ll never have another NBA situation (~300 games made at ~$4000) ever again. Why flop at $1.2 mil when you can “flop” at $13 mil (1000 LEs at $13k)? And those are gross numbers, not profit. NBA was a true loss. If any game sold only LEs and nothing else, they’ve profited (or at worst broke even).

#39256 9 months ago
Quoted from Vespula:

When was this? Not knowing the history here I would have assumed that the lockdown and pandemic, supply chain, and greed saved them which is why we're all talking about the much needed correction .. Which will probably (hopefully) be forced on them by supply and demand economics.

Things were getting really bad around 2010. Avatar was the first game to have 2 tiers with different features, Pro and “Premium LE”. 2012, AC/DC was the first game with Pro/Prem/LE…it sold like crazy, and the LE was the first to start the meme “$10k by Xmas”. By then, Tron LE had also been climbing in value like crazy, and the FOMO LE mania had begun.

Quoted from screaminr:

Still available here (which says a alot)
[quoted image]

Well this is the first LE to not insta-sell out day-one in a while…but they’ll all be built, distribs will stock them, and they’ll all sell eventually.

#39262 9 months ago
Quoted from kool1:

The compelling reason to buy a pro at launch is the first run leftovers - typically (at least locally) the distributor has extra operator games which they can sell to consumers. So... if you were leaning pro anyway, why not get one early? I did that with Rush and I was about to do that with Bond until I found out the code was terrible.

Well if you want it you want it, of course. I was just talking about the psychology of the LE which guarantees they build/sell all those units up front. Sure they might also sell a bunch of Pros, but it’s not a guarantee like the LE.

#39291 8 months ago
Quoted from taz:

I remember this one too. Unfortunately, Stern didn't announce the LE until after initial release of their standard Avatar game (severely cut back due to Stern teetering on collapse), and some people who purchased the "lesser" model early were so offended about a better model being announce after their purchase that some of them left the hobby.

Yup, there was a marketing learning curve with Stern’s transition to the current model. They had done a few LEs in the past, and they always came later. They were more like celebratory releases…Elvis Gold, Spider-Man Black, Dale Jr. They just had new art or trim, but features were the same. When new features came into play like with Avatar - that pissed off Pro buyers. So, they shifted to announcing all versions at once…and that worked & made everyone (relatively) happy.

#39306 8 months ago
Quoted from acupunk12:

From what I see on location, kids don’t seem interested in pinball. I think college age kids like it though from what I’ve seen. Probably because it’s got that community, let’s get drunk thing going on like pool and fuzz ball.

If a kid is into pinball, it’s because they were exposed to games & just think the game itself is cool. There’s no magic theme that’s gonna make all the kids want to go to the arcade or bowling alley to lineup and play…that’s just not the culture of kids today. Limitless entertainment is in their pocket if their parents let them have phones or tablets. They don’t see the logic of “going out” to be entertained by games. Well, maybe one theme would work. Pokémon…especially if integrated into an app like Connected and/or Pokémon Go.

#39310 8 months ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

I’m interested in seeing if the PS 5 kids get interested in Venom when it lands here . I’ll see if they gravitate more toward pinball with the new PS5 style of game code

PS5 is a console/platform. There are many genres of game. If they're all playing Fortnite or shooters where they yell at other kids online, a pinball with RPG rules is just gonna make them go "huh?". Hell, I love video games - but RPG/strategy is the one genre I stay away from, and that's why the games with confusing rules usually turn me off as well. I've always been into mainly action & platforming games - and pinball's quick reflex action is sort of a physical version of that genre of gaming.

#39339 8 months ago

What am I missing with Goonies?
I can't get why a lot of people think it's such a great theme for pinball?
Would it be a big seller?
Maybe it is niche enough to do well, who knows.

It’s an iconic 80s movie with great characters, gadgets, great villains. booby traps, a pirate ship and treasure…and Sloth. Parents have shown it to every generation of kids since. It has a great score & Cyndi Lauper song. It’s held up over time.

#39498 8 months ago
Quoted from RikV:

Could be three cornerstones ....Elwin/Borg/Elwin for 24 and then Danger in spring 25.

What about Eddy? Remember, Venom was delayed twice - it was supposed to come out before Bond & Foo. He’s got to have another game or two in the chamber already.

#39505 8 months ago
Quoted from Pinbarclay:

Danger is on your must buy list after one cornerstone pin?

He definitely has my interest. Foo is the wildest, most fun, and unique overall package I’ve played from Stern. I had no expectations from Danger or the Foo license…and now it’s one of my all time favorites.

Quoted from Rizmo:

It always seems like since i got into the hobby Stern only goes to one of three things. Super hero, music or movie. Would love to see an original theme or if it has to be one of those one that has never been done before. They do have the talent I just am not sure why its always one of those things

Original doesn’t sell. Stern likes money & their employees like getting paid. Go buy a Tank Farts or Oktoberfest if you want original. I dare you.

#39511 8 months ago
Quoted from MacGruber:

I thought that's what was kina great about Foo was it was almost an original theme. I mean I know it's technically a band pin but I just loved the integration of the Scoob-busters from Mars!

Yup, best of both worlds. A theme that gives instant recognizability for sales & coin-drop, but totally works as it’s own thing if you know nothing about Foo.

#39552 8 months ago

Wick is hotter than Matrix and Jaws in the zeitgeist.

Matrix & Jaws are definitely cemented in the zeitgeist. People use the term “red pilled”. Everyone knows what “bullet time” is when they see it. Like Wick, it’s got Keanu & everyone loves Keanu. Jaws is the type of movie that people know without ever having seen it. Everyone knows the music. Everyone’s heard the line “we’re gonna need a bigger boat”. A scary shark is universal.

Wick is a current popular movie franchise…but do people LOVE it? It’s not in peoples’ DNA like Jaws & Matrix…but people are fond of it & it could make a cool game.

#39577 8 months ago
Quoted from Grantman:

I believe Chris Franchi (below) and Randy Martinez are still contract artists that they use so it's not going to be 100% Zombie Yeti on Stern's games.
[quoted image]

Stern will never deal with Franchi again. Not worth the drama & babysitting.

#39604 8 months ago
Quoted from Jagrmaister:

Courtesy of this thread, I'm just discovering via research that there was a 4th Matrix released 2 years ago. Now that had to be pure garbage!

Wow, it was 2 years ago already? It’s an absolutely unwatchable pile of garbage. Horrible writing, acting, directing…it’s one of the most bizarre movies to ever have existed. Everyone involved is capable…yet somehow it comes off like no one involved has ever made a movie.

1 week later
#39900 8 months ago
Quoted from Inpw:

it would have to be stellar for me to be able to look past Stern's build quality (I mean, if JP's code, T-Rex mech and creative layout couldn't do it...)

Funny, it was JP Prem that pulled me back into Sterns after I had written them off in 2016. I had even written off JP - until I played it!

Quoted from Ballderdash:

P.S. I hope Stern is careful to release games coded for moments and not just competitions. I see more and more influence from the tournament side. I couldn’t care less about ruleset exploits and strats. I want escapism and enjoyment. Not work.

I think most Sterns are doing a good job of balancing moments and satisfying choreography with the deeper nuance for tourney nerds. Godzilla Prem/LE has multiple great moments - destroying the building, Mecha Godzilla, and the bridge. Each Kaiju battle feels like big moments, too. Rush feels like 100% moment, if you’re a Rush fan. The way the magnet in the Time Machine grabs the ball combined with the great sound FX & LCD transitions into modes is awesome, and the incredible Expression Light show makes the whole thing feel brilliant. Foo is almost non-stop, but the Overlord “abduction” is a fun moment. JP Prem/LE always has an amazing moment anytime you start the T-Rex modes. Even the T-Rex roar & toy animation at the start of each game is a moment.

#40047 8 months ago
Quoted from haiderdj:

The more I think about it, this is what bothers me the most about Stern's recent decision with games like JP 30th Anniversary "LE" -- it's incredibly lazy. Why create a new game when it's easier to just make the existing game a new color, jack up the price, and sell it again?

They literally just created Venom. They’re constantly creating new games while selling existing ones. What's lazy about a company making more of their own product to meet demand? Like….that’s their purpose. To make & sell things.

#40050 8 months ago
Quoted from curban:

…yeah, I don’t personally have any Stern LEs, so I dont have skin in the game.
BUT…if you take the “limited” out of it, I’m not sure what people are paying the extra $3k for. The material differences are usually worth less than $500 more than the premium, arent they?

You’re not buying materials, you’re buying an overall package. The cost of the materials doesn’t matter if I can’t get foil decals & mirrored backglass on the aftermarket. I’m paying for those things, and the convenience of having nice powdercoat, custom rails, shaker, artblades, expression lights, better speakers, better glass etc. installed from the factory. Some people don’t want to tear apart a $10k Premium and spend more to customize.

#40068 8 months ago

What did I say that was remotely controversial? There are always new games & games from the last 3-5 years on the line at the factory. This is just a fact.

#40121 8 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Just thinking of dumb ideas for a Jaws pin
How about a video mode where you need to outswim the shark?

How about no more video modes ever. They’re 99% horrible, and on LCD they’re just like the worst app games ever. Venom’s is soooooo bad.

#40125 8 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I get it. You guys hate fun that new players like and artificially extends game time.

There’s no way new players like “tap left…tap right” video modes. Everyone knows what a fun video game is in 2023, and video modes ain’t it.

#40132 8 months ago
Quoted from WODKA:

I love video modes.. Did it as a new player and still do it. Junk Yard got the best ones

Guys, I’m talking about on new games. On DMDs, they’re cute, quick and an element of their time. On LCDs they look horrible and play horrible. Venom’s goes on FOREVER. If an LCD video mode was really quick, in and out, maybe…but so far they’ve all been horrible.

#40174 8 months ago

Yeah good idea. Maybe you just grew up with EM pins so you aren't used to video games. I get it. No worries, Pac-Man.

You should get to know someone before going on the attack. I love video games and don’t like EMs…the very fact that I LIKE video games is why I don’t like video modes. They’re not good video games & take you away from playing pinball. Looking forward to your future anger. Thank you for glomming onto me for some reason.

#40199 8 months ago

Im not an apologist for stern and Im not sure what you re into. People who play games with narratives are a joke. Thats my point. i appreciate the gaslight attempt, good luck with your EM pins.

No gaslighting. My collection is public. I’ve never owned an EM. Nor am I an apologist. You’re literally mad at me for stating that Stern makes old games & new games simultaneously. I stated the most boring fact ever, and you took it as a personal attack. Why?

#40206 8 months ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

I think pinside is pretty representative of the market as a whole. Manufacturers would be wise to listen to our concerns. When Star Wars was in development, who here would have liked Stern to take a poll.
“Hello Pinball community. One of our upcoming games comes with big licensing costs. The license is a dream theme for many of you. We are asking our community, would you rather we keep the standard pricing and cheap out on the design and mechs, or would you be willing to pay an extra 100 bucks or so for a really cool mech or two?”

From what I’ve heard, Star Wars is one of their all time best sellers. So, despite Pinsiders complaints about it, sales weren’t affected. It’s a powerful theme.

#40221 8 months ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

But sales were affected. If they put in a little more effort, maybe it would be the all time best seller. I know of at least one lost sale because of tie fighter on a spring.

For every Pinsider who didn’t buy it for whatever reason, 100 people who’ve never heard of Pinside bought it. Sales are sales.

I don’t like the design, toys, rules, or theme. Am I a “lost sale”? I bought other Stern games…for Stern, as long as the factory is churning & moneys coming in, it all works out for them.

#40229 8 months ago
Quoted from Molon_Labe:

Does Ritchie honestly think this is his best work?

I can’t see inside the designers heads, but they’re all pros and I’m sure they think they’re making the right decisions. None of us are privy to what happens behind the scenes, but there are always challenges with the licensor, deadlines, available parts, etc.

Ultimately we see the final product & then we all have our own expectations. I passed on JP at first due to lack of assets & so-so art…but then I played it in fell in love with it. TMNT was “my Star Wars” as a kid, and I would have bought one if it had the real original voice cast…the fake voices made me pass on it - but plenty of people didn’t care about that at all and bought it. Playing it didn’t change my mind lol. Ghostbusters was a dream theme for me, and IMO it’s the worst game I’ve ever played in my life….yet there are plenty of think it’s great.

Our opinions are all completely subjective, and rarely seem to ultimately impact sales or success of a game.

#40254 8 months ago
Quoted from Molon_Labe:

So why was it made? I don't know any of the backstory - sorry. Was it because everyone wanted the theme based on the first film or no one wanted the theme at all?

People wanted Toy Story & Toy Story’s a great theme. TS4 and only TS4? Nope. Hard no for many. If it was 1, 1-3, 1-4, or not even based on the movies but just TS characters in general…coulda been a hit. But JUST 4? No one loves 4. No one has deep nostalgia for 4. 4 just makes it seem like disposable licensed lunchbox product rather than a celebration of a revered film series.

#40269 8 months ago
Quoted from spectrum-1980s:

Seth Davis needs to sit the hell down and disappear and let the pin guys go at it to save Stern.

Lol “to save Stern”

The way some people talk about Seth, I’m getting the sense that there’s some deep-seated jealousy in seeing someone outside of the pinball world coming in to run the company. Like “if this rando can run Stern, why can’t I?!?!”

#40283 8 months ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

No, I don't think that's it at all......
Why do you need someone from the outside when you should be building people up on the inside? Does anyone think Disney-boy can possibly do a better job than Gomez? Not a chance. Surely there's others of Gomez-caliber already in the industry.
Who's next after Disney-Boy? Some dude from Starbucks? Or maybe a Six Flags reject after they go bankrupt again. How about some fool from IKEA? He could help them build cabs faster and cheaper!!! (Some assembly required)
There's been two massive changes at Stern the last twenty years: That money guy Gary is partnered with, and Disney-Boy. Money guy brought all the years of cost cutting but it was offset with all the cash he brought. Disney-Boy brings what? The first game completely under his reign is Venom right? Big success Certainly "Bond pricing" and beyond were under his direction.

Gomez is a designer, not a business guy. Gomez is doing a great job leading the GAME part of the business. Look, I dunno why Seth was the guy to take Gary’s place - but clearly Gary was cool with it - so let’s see what he does. It makes zero sense to blame things like Bond pricing & Venom on him. Prices were shooting up before he got there. B66 SLE $15k, Elvira SLE & 40th were before him. Expensive toppers were before him. That was all under Gary/George/Etc. Jody gets the licenses & they had already done plenty of Marvel Comics themes pre-Seth. X-Men, Spider-Man, Avengers, Deadpool.

I’m not saying the man is beyond critique…I just think the insults & blame you’re shooting at him are unwarranted as the things you’re complaining about were baked into Stern DNA already.

#40293 8 months ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

Contradicting yourself, no?
Everyone poo poos on TS4 as not really a Toy Story pin but a carnival themed game with TS characters. Isn't that what your first quote says "coulda been a hit"?

Weirdly enough I feel like a Toy Story pin that was just a celebration of the characters with an original pin narrative would feel more like Toy Story than TS4.

#40296 8 months ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Totally agree. I was interested with the theme if done based on the first movie. Andy’s room, Sid, Pizza Planet, the Claw, Zerg, etc etc. Huge swing and a miss with a Toy Story 4 theme. Just awful. And I have played it, not good.

Totally. The reason I brought up even a “generic” non-movie TS pin was because they got all the voices. All they had to do was have the characters on the LCD look at the player when you press start and say “Hey guys look! It’s a new kid here to play with us!” …and then they could have had an all new original script having the toys talk about pinball & memorable elements from the series like Zurg, Sid, the Claw, etc. That would felt more creative and special than what it ended up as.

#40307 8 months ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Creating original story IP for beloved characters from a multibillion dollar film franchise does not sound like something Disney Pixar would entrust to a pinball company.

Probably not, and that’s why they went the generic lunchbox route with it. Thant being said - if JJP had a compelling pitch & Pixar artists/writers agreed to collaborate, something really interesting could have happened. Universal trusted Stern & Elwin to come up with an original narrative within the events of Jurassic Park. Marvel trusted Stern to write their own story/dialog for Deadpool (I was just playing, and DP says “Jackpot! What are you, Keith Elwin?!). When I worked with Stern on Family Guy, Lawlor & Gary came to us with a pitch & a bunch of ideas. We liked some, we nixed some, we pitched a bunch of ideas to them - some of which were used. They wrote a pinball script, our writers went through it, punched it up & made it authentic. Every licensor is different, but generally animation people are big nerds and love being involved in licensed products like pinball…so if a company is licensing an animated show or movie, take advantage of the fact that the people behind the property will likely happily collaborate.

#40335 8 months ago

Kinda sounds like you.

I’m not a business guy & never said I was. You’re really bad at insulting people. Maybe stop making that your defining personality trait.

#40337 8 months ago
Quoted from Molon_Labe:

Do you think they would spend the time and $$$ to reengineer a game from SAM to Spike2? I would think they would go for easier, low-hanging fruit and vault a Spike2 title.

Anything’s possible - but I’d like to think they’d honor it as a Lyman classic & leave it alone. Even more intriguing would be a “Metallica 2”. All new design, all new toys, all new art, all new songs. Metallica already sold a TON….you’re not gonna sell a Vault to those thousands of existing Met owners. But an all new Met? Current Met owners WOULD buy that.

Quoted from PanzerKraken:

Instead of vault, why not new versions of stuff like an all new Ghostbusters. The old one has issues tied to it and its seen as not that great by many people, it's pretty divided for a pin. How about a new go?

I think that would be more difficult to pull off than a Met2, as it would still be based on the same material. As a GB movie fan who hates the GB pin, I’d love to see them try an all new take. If it was different enough, current GB owners would probably want both. Give us new toys like a trap that sucks balls into it, better use of hologram ghosts or re-use Stranger Things’ projection mapping, maybe a Stay Puft bash toy like Iron Monger that “burns” with a great LED show and sinks into the playfield when defeated.

#40338 8 months ago

Say What? You re the one pushing the narrative. I didn't realize my statements were insulting. Good luck with your Atari 2500 and EM pins.

I’m pushing zero narrative. Again, you’re mad that I said Stern makes new & old games at the same time. This boring factual statement has turned you into a glom troll for some reason. Your insults continue to make no sense. I don’t have any Atari consoles or EMs. Keep ‘em coming though, Rickles.

#40340 8 months ago

Bad at insult comedy, doesn’t know the most legendary insult comic. That tracks.

#40345 8 months ago
Quoted from chad:

Get back on Topic....
Jaws
BTTF
These will make great playing machines.
Hoping whatever game Keith has up his sleeve will be

Keith can make magic with whatever theme he gets. No pressure, Keith!

I still don’t think BTTF is gonna happen, especially with all the movie assets….what if they made it like the old Universal Studios ride…no Marty, but Doc is taking YOU on an adventure through time & Biff is trying to mess things up. Would buyers accept that?

#40348 8 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

It wouldn't happen, but "Universal Studio Park" would be a cool pinball theme. Do the different rides and attractions with various Universal Properties. They used to make video games like this
[quoted image]

Yeah there are Disney Parks games, too. Seems like such a mish-mash…but it’s a lot of nostalgia for the Buck, I guess.

#40353 8 months ago
Quoted from Molon_Labe:

Anyone? Huge franchise with comics, cartoon, toys, and movies.
Sorry pinside blew up the image I attached.
[quoted image]

I’m not sure GI Joe would be as popular as Transformers or TMNT, but it’s a similar wheelhouse. With some really cool Cobra machine to attack & blow up, it could be cool. I think another stab at Transformers with G1 characters & Peter Cullen/Frank Welker voices would sell more.

#40369 8 months ago
Quoted from Molon_Labe:

Agreed. The GI Joe franchise should have stayed animated and remain so. The life action movie renditions were all deplorable and hurt the franchise more than it helped it in my opinion. Transformers had a 2nd gen Camaro and Megan, so it got a thumbs up.

GI Joe live action leaned more realistic, but was still kinda hokey. I think if it leaned into the colorful absurdity of the 80s cartoon, maybe even set it in the 80s and amped up the camp, it could have been super fun. Just look at this opening sequence for the animated movie - absolutely batshit…imagine if the live action ones were this bonkers:

As an animation nerd, this sequence blows my mind every time I see it. Hand painted on cels under a camera. No computer help. So many wild in-camera tricks & animating perspective.

#40399 7 months ago
Quoted from 5DLounge:

I didn't know I wanted a GI Joe pin until I saw this old opening. I just watched it 3 times.

I never really liked GI Joe as a kid, but I can watch that movie into 1000 times and never get sick of it. You could teach an animation masterclass with it lol It pretty much has every crazy thing you could do under a camera that most people wouldn’t think was possible to do under a camera.

…and that song is a banger. 8 year olds aren’t getting blood pumping songs like that in todays cartoons!

#40503 7 months ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

Hate to beat a dead horse, but Stern should start offering some vaults to create excitement.. Tron, Stranger Things, Kiss, AC/DC, just for starters...

Highly doubtful they’ll make anymore SAM or Spike-era DMD games. There are already thousands of Tron, Kiss, & AC/DC out there. Buyer pool is limited on games your buyers already have. Limited sales opportunity = not worth the cost of re-upping the license. Plus, they’re all in on Insider Connected now…I don’t see them releasing anything aside from Home Pins that isn’t part of that ecosystem.

#40523 7 months ago
Quoted from MiniPinHead:

Tron: Ares (movie, Tron 3) being in development could lead to a new Tron game down the road.

I’m predicting they can it. Indiana Jones with a $300 mil budget couldn’t make money, and Tron 3 reportedly has a bigger budget. Both Tron movies were financial failures. Why would they risk another?

#40560 7 months ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Pokemon would obviously be one of the most profitable pins you could make. But I presume it is also much more costly and unlikely. Which made me think Dragon Ball could be a good runner up to attract some of the same audience.

Why would Pokémon be too costly? Nintendo/Pokémon Co. license it to all kinds of products. Pinball would be no different.

https://corporate.pokemon.co.jp/en/business/licences/

#40572 7 months ago

I think pinball is too out of left field for Nintendo to consider it.

IMG_2154 (resized).jpegIMG_2154 (resized).jpegIMG_2153 (resized).pngIMG_2153 (resized).pngIMG_2149 (resized).jpegIMG_2149 (resized).jpegIMG_2151 (resized).jpegIMG_2151 (resized).jpegIMG_2148 (resized).jpegIMG_2148 (resized).jpegIMG_2152 (resized).jpegIMG_2152 (resized).jpegIMG_2150 (resized).jpegIMG_2150 (resized).jpeg

IMG_2156 (resized).jpegIMG_2156 (resized).jpeg
#40573 7 months ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

Shame. Muppets would be great at home. Just do OG content and not that modern reboot crap. The Muppetvision 3D experience at Disney is perfect for it. Complete with Statler and Waldorf!

IMO the most amazing Muppet pinball would be all original. Have Henson Studio do all new scenes & jokes specifically for a pin.

Quoted from ahdelarge:

I used to think this as well, but I don't understand why pinball licenses are more expensive for bigger name IP's like KISS and Harry Potter, when you see it stamped on everything from socks to lunchboxes.

Cuz Gene Simmons thinks he’s worth it. Harry Potter has JK, multiple publishers, WB, and 100 actors to deal with for licensing.

#40576 7 months ago
Quoted from honkbahh:

If they have kids (like myself) many would love to add a machine that would gets their kids (more?) enthusiastic about pinball and enjoy the hobby together. I would.

Pokémon is pretty universal at this point. Multiple generations have grown up with it in various incarnations (video games, cartoons, movies, cards, Pokémon Go, etc). It would KILL, especially on location. Could be the biggest location game in forever & the would have the largest adoption of Insider Connect. We often say that a “modern kids” themed pinball wouldn’t move the needle…but Pokemon would…it would obviously have a “Gotta Catch ‘Em All” component that would keep players coming back.

#40581 7 months ago
Quoted from kool1:

Not saying no one will buy - just don't think the number is high enough given what the license would cost.

I don't think there's any proof that the license costs more than any other license that has been licensed.

#40585 7 months ago
Quoted from kool1:

I cannot imagine a Nintendo license being anything but top dollar.Of course that's if you could even get it.

It was said earlier that it’s more of a Pokémon Company license than a Nintendo one. But even Nintendo licenses Mario/Zelda/Kirby to everyone and their mother. The only thing with Nintendo is that since pinball is a game - they’d want to be involved or at least have final say on code/rules/music/voices etc., and that might be difficult with Stern’s deadlines.

#40600 7 months ago
Quoted from John_I:

I don't doubt what you say, but I think it's funny that I haven't the slightest clue at what Pokemon is despite hearing the word plenty of times over the years.

It’s short for Pocket Monster. It’s a Japanese RPG game that started on the Gameboy & became a huge multimedia hit, with card games, toys, anime, movies.

#40641 7 months ago
Quoted from MiniPinHead:

Being new to pinball, what is Pinball2000? Just lack of interest? If anything, the opposite is happening

Look up Revenge from Mars & Star Wars Ep 1. No one is making that again, although P3 is kind of a spiritual successor.

1 week later
#40701 7 months ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

I just sold my RUSH and am itching to pull the trigger on something, trying to stay strong for what I "think" is coming out and soon.

Rush Vault is coming just for you!!!

#40710 7 months ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Have no idea. Frankly, all of Japanese anime is hot garbage. I don’t get why people like any of it. Excepting octopus porn of course.

I take it you’ve never seen a Miyazaki film?

#40722 7 months ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Never heard of him. What kind of porn does he do?

He’s Japan’s Walt Disney. If you’re remotely a fan of cinema, look him up. Most of his movies are on Max. Princess Mononoke & Spirited Away are good places to start. If they don’t change your mind about the art of Japanese animation, then I dunno what else to tell ya.

I saw Mononoke in the theater, and this old grandpa was behind me - he had never seen anything like it. The whole time he was muttering “Can you believe this picture!!! Would ya look at this picture!!!”

#40723 7 months ago
Quoted from Gubbin:

Was on his FB. Commemorative Run [quoted image]

“One of pinball’s greatest modern games?”

Since when? Classic Sack Money. Buy buy buy!

#40738 7 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

IRL they absolutely block view of the ball motion and are annoying. Very expensive annoyance.

I'm not usually in camp "that blocks my vision"...but the Groot arms absolutely are just a big purposeless vision blocker.

#40752 7 months ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Just looked this up on Max. The animation is much better than most anime. Remember, I grew up on movie quality 30’s-60s American cartoons. So I find most newer cartoons and anime hot garbage by comparison. I’ll get back to you.[quoted image]

I love the cartoony madness of classic American aniamation…Tex Avery, Tom & Jerry, Disney feature, etc. I also love many anime. There’s a misconception that anime is just held cels, speed line BGs & flapping mouths. There’s a lot of anime outside of Speed Racer. Stories tend to be more human-centric, so you generally don’t have talking animal squash & stretch. However, the storytelling, cinematography, paintings, shading, use of perspective & layout trickery is often far beyond what US based animation does.

I hope you like the Miyazaki/Ghibli movies. Another great Japanese director is Satoshi Kon. Tokyo Godfathers & Millennium Actress are fantastic.

Akira is another classic, and is one of the few animes to record voices first & then animate (American style).

Here’s a great movie from a few years ago called “Your Name”. This was supposedly getting a US live action remake. Not sure if that’s still happening.

#40907 7 months ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Alot has changed in 3.5 years. Maybe it's still in Sterns hands. I'd be all over a Beetlejuice pin.

Peeps at Stern told me they’d never make Rush. Too niche….and now we have the greatest game ever made, thank the lawd!!!

#40915 7 months ago

You think Rush is the greatest game ever made?

You think it’s not? Name me one other game with Spirit of Radio. I’m waiting….

#40917 7 months ago
Quoted from tgarrett09:

I slept on Rush when it was released but my local place has an LE that I’ve been playing and I absolutely love it. Such a fun game to shoot even if I don’t really know what’s going on. Had a good game tonight and somehow ended up in space exploring planets and black holes? Such a wild ride haha.

It’s really great. While I do love the new blood & their wild layout ideas…something about Rush just feels so “right” to me. It’s hard to explain. Maybe it’s just the way the layout choreographs with the songs/modes & theme so well. Maybe because it’s a little more classic in its approach & I love the classics. I dunno, it’s just a great game & a fantastic Rush game.

#40922 7 months ago

I don't know what "The Spirit of Radio" is or means but there is no way this game is anywhere close to the top of the list. The attempt at narrative control, again, is a mess. Let me guess Venom and LZ are also great games but you don't know why, they are just magical. Lol.

LOL, ok, sit down. I’m gonna explain this to you slowly.

1. I’m being silly.

2. Im a lifelong Rush fan.

3. I think Rush pinball is a very good game. That could be because of my bias. See #2.

4. I’ve played enough pinball that I’d like to think I’d know a great or bad game despite my theme biases. Example: I love the themes TMNT & Ghostbusters, but dislike the games.

5. Rush probably isn’t the greatest game ever. See #1….but it makes me happy. See #2 & #3.

6. Venom & Zep are hard passes for me. Not sure why you’re bringing those up, but you asked…so, there ya go.

7. What “narrative control”? Take off the tinfoil hat. I like Rush, that’s all…lol.

#40927 7 months ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Fortunately as a lifelong Rush fan myself, we got us a great game made by some lifelong Rush fans at Stern along with the 2 original band members to make it a seriously great (goat?) pin! Can't say that for all band pins. The stars aligned.
GNR is the only other one like this I can think of right now..

Metallica. They insisted on Dirty Donny for art. James, Lars, and Kirk did voices. They got Brenden Small for the character voices (and since then, Brenden has done Aerosmith, BK3, and Foo). They provided all the songs & then extras without the usual legal negotiating that goes on with music pins.

#40928 7 months ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

I get it. I'm a Rush fan and I love the pin. I think the music works better on that pin than a lot of people realize, and the fact that Geddy and Alex helped get them the rights to concert footage was awesome and really elevates the experience. The layout of the game is a much improved mirror of Turtles where the shots flow a lot better, which makes some sense since Borg started working on it while TMNT was hitting the production line. I did own Turtles for a while, and while I loved the art and theme integration, it just shot really clunky, and the steep ramps didn't do it any favors. I do love Dwight code, but hate his propensity for turning off all the GI lighting while the ball is still in play. It adds unnecessary frustration to TMNT (and SW, and Mando, etc.)

Rush is literally a tweaked X-Men design…and that had me worried because I really do not like X-Men. Borg tends to Borg, and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. His games generally shoot well - but sometimes the mechs or toys can lack…and usually it’s code that makes his games gel. His Lyman games all ended up pretty awesome. I’m not a Dwight code fan, so that’s where TMNT lost me (in addition to not getting the real voice cast). Sexton & RayDay did an amazing job with Rush’s rules/code & the physical things I didn’t like on X-Men were changed. Amazing what a few seemingly minor tweaks + code can do to a game. Look at Borg’s transformation of Austin Powers to Iron Man. Pretty amazing. IM originally seemed like AP with less stuff, but those little changes + Lyman’s rules made it crazy great.

#40931 7 months ago
Quoted from Vespula:

I have not played this yet. It's on my todo list.
I was at the Las Vegas pinball Hall of Fame last week and I was going to play this but some dude stayed on it the entire time.
I've not listened to Metallica but I probably could be more a fan via this pin. I've only been exposed to their music from radio and movies ,Sandman and a few others etc. And I appreciate and could listen to the music, unlike foo. I can't doo foo. Played the game, was fun, didn't want to play more after.
We'll see what the future holds. Met is on my list to go to our local free play location and just tear into this game for a little bit...

I didn’t know much about Foo music, but the pin has definitely turned me into a fan. I find myself humming it all day long. My wife’s a huge Foo fan, so she doesn’t mind.

Met’s a great game, I hope you like it! It kinda plays like a faster Monster Bash with a different/deeper ruleset. Lyman did both games. Met is a perfect example of code working for all player levels. It has obvious up front stuff: Shoot Sparky, Grave, Snake, ramps…and something cool will happen. Then it’s got tons of depth, modes, mini-modes & scoring nuance for pros. The mechanic of shooting a shot to “select it”, then hitting other things to light the inserts of the selected shot, then “completing”’ the shot is super unique…I can’t think of other games that have that rule.

#40933 7 months ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Your life is truly devoid of all meaning.

I can’t imagine existing in this blip of time where one can enjoy Rush, but hasn’t enjoyed Rush. Truly a waste of ears.

#40940 7 months ago
Quoted from TylerTheTired:

Pardon my irreverence, as I was trying to convert a non-believer by speaking their language.

I thought it was funny.

Quoted from TylerTheTired:

Listen, the relationship is still a little bit strained after you sent us Nickelback and Justin Bieber, okay?

Since Canada gave us SCTV, Rush, and Scott Pilgrim…I forgive them for everything else.

#40952 7 months ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

And Trailer Park Boys... You're welcome.

Unwatchable. I take it back. F Canada.

#40959 7 months ago

So this is what I'm getting out of these discussions. People whine about Stern making bad themes, jacking up prices, and increasing production but they really love it.....

You kinda make things up to get what you get out of these discussions. Don’t ever change!

Themes are subjective. Rush was my dream theme, you’ve never heard of them.

No one likes high prices.

If people like a game, they like it. If they don’t, they don’t.

#40964 6 months ago

OK Stern apologist. Keep that narrative going, Champ!

OMG dude, what is your deal? If your checklist for liking someone on Pinside is how much shit they give Stern, I have a history of being more critical of Stern on particular issues & games than most. Since you’re clearly obsessed with me and creating a NARRATIVE for me, go study my older posts if you care to have context. You keep glomming onto me for absolutely uncontroversial takes. You just called me a “Stern apologist” after saying “themes are subjective” & “no one likes high prices”. WTAF?! Please see a doctor, I’m seriously concerned for you.

1 week later
#41088 6 months ago
Quoted from honkbahh:

If they do improve the TK lock do you think they'll offer it to for sale to owners of the initial run if it's compatible? Is there any history of this?

They have a history of releasing “Service Bulletins” & if there’s a physical fix that goes with it, they’ll send it to you for free.

#41125 6 months ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Spiderman Vault the redesigned the Doc Oc magnet. Not compatible with old game and not sold individually. AC/DC Vault the redesigned the lower PF window. Not sold or compatible. I expect the TK mech to be redesigned completely. Doubt it will be "compatible".

Well OK, there’s a total redesign & there are fixes. Rush’s scoop & protector weren’t designed well, so they sent out fix kits to everyone, along with a new switch fix kit for the side scoop.

#41128 6 months ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

3 and 4 would seem tacked on and not integrated...so much more has happened in 3 and 4 that are not in the physical build of the game. Simply tacking on video is cheap and seems like a 3rd party mod move. There would need to be a physical redesign to include any new seasons and I don't see that happening at all, even the inserts are all geared to the early seasons...

No TV based game can (or should) be “the whole show”. There’s just too much content. TV based games are always a distillation of the show. Stranger Things has what it needs. A bunch of 80s kids and some spooky monster shit. Sopranos has gangsters, strippers & money. Game of Thrones has all the different kingdoms & dragons. Walking Dead has zombies. Simpsons, Family Guy & Rick and Morty have iconic characters, scenarios & one-liners. TV based pins tend to come out while the show is still airing…never expect a complete series DVD box set with TV based pins.

#41130 6 months ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

...and do what, go against Stern? I don't see that happening at all. He seems happy using the team at Stern an collaborating with his engineer and software coding team and having the support of Stern. It's not a one man show and regardless of his designs and rulesets, he always admits and gives credit that it's a collaborative effort. Why would he give that up?

He’s smart enough to not pull a Jpop.

#41172 6 months ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

If not Stern, I would hope for Dutch. If they brought TBL level theme integration to BTTF…I would be all over it.

…and wait 10 years for it? Nah.

#41206 6 months ago
Quoted from DoctorSpeedy:

Any chance we’ll ever get a Futurama pinball machine?

The show keeps coming back, so why not?

#41238 6 months ago

Their announcement says this is limited time. So this isn't a cornerstone

It’s a Re-run of a cornerstone. Cornerstones are always cornerstones: Mainstream licenses with Pro/Prem/LE. Non-cornerstones are weird games with license partners such as Kapow…different or no tiers - like Primus, Bond 60, Elvira, Batman 66, Beatles, Heavy Metal, Supreme.

#41244 6 months ago

No the point is cornerstone typically means an ongoing run product, it has no set timeframe and will be continued to run. I don't mean the type of pin it is. From their social media this is a limited release so that sounds like it's not going to be an ongoing run product

Stranger Things already was a cornerstone, so it always will be. All games end their runs eventually. Covid put a dent in STh original run…this is a correction due to current demand.

#41321 6 months ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

Kaneda just reported that he is hearing BTTF is Dutch Pinball's next game!

Easiest pass of all passes then. I’d never give them a dime after the way things went down with TBL. Make sure you get a 100% refundable deposit.

#41410 6 months ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

May take two years, but it'll get there. Put another six new games in front of it, and let the massive amount of GZ's produced take hold.
Patience.

Addams has 20k units & still commands a high price. While it makes sense that more GZs in the world will eventually lower its resale…if it stays as beloved & in demand as it is now, it could be an Addams sitch. Then again, B/W is gone…as long as Stern exists, they could always run GZ again and again.

3 weeks later
#42067 5 months ago

Pokémon would be absolutely HUGE with anyone under 40, and would be the perfect game to get people to use Insider Connected to collect Pokémon. I’m Gen X & even though I’m a huge Nintendo fan, I was in college when Pokémon got huge, so I missed getting sucked into it…but I recognize how powerful a franchise it is. Boomers & Gen X, don’t dismiss Pokémon’s power! Millennials barely know what Warriors or Goonies is. Pokémon will have them losing their minds.

#42090 5 months ago
Quoted from Rat:

Yeah a Pokemon pinball would be hugely popular with Millennial Pokemon fans who are into pinball and have the disposable cash to blow on one because they have already paid off their PPOR.
Can you see how many problems there are with satement? It would appeal to a TINY amount of people.
Sure it might bring some younger people into playing on location because of theme, but they are not going to want to pay $10k to take one home.

Pinball doesn’t have to sell a ton to be successful. A few thousand millennials with money would buy it , and therefore make it a success. Gen X with kids would buy it. It would be huge on location & be one of the best earners ever.

Pinball is niche no matter what. Niche + PASSIONATE fanbase = sales.

#42116 5 months ago
Quoted from Rat:

Anyone shouting out for Pooh as a theme? considering Poke fans are justifying because of franchise sales?

Pooh’s just a cute evergreen franchise that prints money cuz it’s an easy thing to buy for babies. Pokémon is already a game with deep rules & all about collecting. There have already been Pokémon pinball video games. The crossover to real pinball in the era of Insider Connected is practically perfect.

#42135 5 months ago
Quoted from MiniPinHead:

If the Stern pins this year are Jaws and Pokémon, then it would seem they did a great job covering the target demographics.

The truth is, they always do. For every complaint about boomer themes & grandpa rock, they’re pretty good at covering modern hot properties along with various eras of nostalgia.

Modern (at time of release): LOTR, Sopranos, POTC, Family Guy, TWD, GOT, Marvel movies, Mandalorian, Stranger Things

60s nostalgia: Batman, Beatles, Munsters, Bond

70s nostalgia: Pretty much all the classic rock pins

80s/90s nostalgia: Ghostbusters, TMNT, Jurassic Park, Foo Fighters

I think they do a pretty good job of rotating appeal so that they have a selection of games for every demographic available at any given time.

1 week later
#42404 5 months ago
Quoted from KSP1138:

Like this one. RIP Dick Butkus.
[quoted image]

Hamburger was one if my fav HBO R rated comedies I was too young to be watching. It’s kind of lost media at the moment. It never had DVD release, it’s not on any cable channel or streaming platform. I’d buy a remastered Blu-Ray if it for nostalgia’s sake.

Best line in all of film history:

#42406 5 months ago
Quoted from ahdelarge:

A lot of these old movies are actually on YouTube in full. Just did a quick YouTube search and it's on there...never saw it in the 80s, but will definitely check it out.

Yeah, it’s on YouTube - but it’s a VHS rip. I guess no one owns the rights to it? I’d love to see a high quality version of it. Anyway, enjoy! It’s stupid 80s sex comedy fun. I’m not sure if it ever came out in theaters - but it was on HBO CONSTANTLY.

#42409 5 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

There's a DVD, too, but I have no idea what the quality is.

Official? I know there’s a bootleg, but I’ve never seen official.

#42421 5 months ago
Quoted from Roostking:

If you havent seen "Not another teenage movie". Its hilarious and a spoof on the movies of the period.

I can’t believe that’s 22 years old. Seems like yesterday.

1 week later
#42530 5 months ago
Quoted from LeMansFan:

The theme of Rush is for a very specific buyer and I still can’t believe they made it. But there’s no denying it’s a great game.

They made it for me, specifically. Thanks Stern! I only bought 1 tho.

#42531 5 months ago
Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

I would bet there is more Rush machines here in America. Not everyone from Canada automatically likes Rush.

Every Canadian is born loving Rush. Geddy Lee sings to every newborn baby so his angelic voice is imprinted on their innocent ears. Any Canadian admitting to disliking Rush is immediately farted on by Terrence & Phillip until they repent.

I am a Canada expert, thank you for bearing witness to these facts.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

4,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Blackwood, NJ
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods

2,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, OH
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 55.00
Playfield - Protection
Tucson Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
260 posts in this topic match your search for posts by rarehero. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.