20240423_100836 (resized).jpg
20240423_100825 (resized).jpg
20240423_100718 (resized).jpg
20240423_100723 (resized).jpg
Whoa (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #33984 Stern's new factory information Posted by Grantman (1 year ago)

Post #36014 TRAILER: Foo Fighters Pin teaser trailer Posted by Yoko2una (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kell.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8089 3 years ago
Quoted from LewisD:

I would rather have The Goonies over BTTF. Or perhaps even a Sonic The Hedgehog (based on the video game) if Stern would ever do a machine based on a video game. Could you imagine the flow and toys on a Sonic pinball machine?

I'd love/buy either Goonies or BTTF, and video game pins would be fantastic: God of War, GTA, Zelda, etc. Endless possibilities.

1 week later
#8286 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Are people hoping for an updated BTTF? Is the original not fun to play?

Original is great IMO, won't ever leave my collection. However, I'd love an update and would be an LE buyer.

1 month later
#8756 3 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

If BTTF happens especially with assets expect a KaPow release. If the rumoured Bond happens I’d expect the same there as well; Bond won’t be a cheap licence.

We assume/know the reasoning behind Beatles and BM66 being premium and above was due to higher licensing costs, thereby, requiring higher resale to offset those higher costs? Sorry, been out of the loop last few years.

Did people generally feel the super LE/Diamond versions were worth it?

#9116 3 years ago
Quoted from Aussiepinwiz:

Why? Because 1. operators love the game. It makes more money for operators than most other pins on location, and 2. resale value is comparatively high (which is one factor Stern look for before vaulting a game.

Not disagreeing, however, if 2 is true wouldn't there have been a Tron VE by now?

#9161 3 years ago

Any chance the new Marvel would be Black Widow... movie coming out and as someone mentioned, appealing more to the female audience?

EDIT: My bad, looks like it has already been brought up.

Quoted from Saltimbanco:

...Tron has increased in value more than quite a few games out there.

Curious as to what other modern games have had an increase in value comparable to Tron.

#9233 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

... You would have to be a pretty dedicated fan to walk pass games like TMNT and JP to buy Tron vault for more money.

That's actually a really good point.
I am one who'd be interested in a Tron VE, due in part cause I feel like I missed out on a great game - deciding between my first NIB I bought an X-Men instead of Tron. However, with some of the recent games it would be much harder decision to pick Tron over DP, JP, IMDN, etc.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
6 months later
#14610 3 years ago

Any benefits to a Kapow release... aside from the added cost?

1 month later
#16088 3 years ago
Quoted from onemilemore:

I'll throw another theory out there based on Kaneda's Stern hints:
-Not a movie or music
-Something everyone will want and will likely sell out of LEs
-Brian Eddy on design
Harry Potter. Based off the novels, with the BRE link being MM.

Someone mentioned Mario as a possibility... I like that idea.

#16106 3 years ago
Quoted from onemilemore:

Yup this one also crossed my mind. What other huge video game franchises would qualify?

Most would be Nintendo franchises in my mind: Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid, etc.

There is always GTA, but not sure that would translate well to a pin. Castlevania would be great.

I was thinking this, but not sure if it's too young of an audience. But I'd assume it'd make a great game for some, someday.

1 week later
#17244 2 years ago

Look around at how many people (20s, 30s, 40s, etc.) have new cars that cost $30-40k+. That is disposable income to me and I see it every time I am on the road, anywhere. People have different priorities and find ways to purchase what they want.

I’m not that young, but would love to see themes catered toward the younger generations. Pinball isn’t all about me, and what I want. A broader appeal makes the hobby that much better, imo.

1 week later
#17871 2 years ago

I'd have a hard time blaming the distros for the premium the LEs are going for. Distribution is typically a very low margin business and if they can make extra money to keep their business profitable and/or provide jobs, good for them. Especially after a probable rough year. However, it is very unfortunate for those that want in on one at a "reasonable" price. I'm not interested in this LE, but I know I'd be disappointed if it was one I really wanted. That's the market these days... seemingly with everything.

I'd look at the people willing to pay the inflated prices as the ones enabling this, and possibly changing who can/will buy LEs going forward as this could become the norm.

#17876 2 years ago
Quoted from K9Marshal:

The bottom line is the people who actually want to buy it and inbox it/own it get screwed over by distributors inflating prices so that they are making the money instead of some random flipper / and it’s not because they think it’s wrong what the flipper is doing / it’s because they see dollar signs

Agreed, and it sucks. I'm not saying it's fair or I agree with it, but it's a free market and when there is money to be made someone will find a way to get a piece of it. I think we've been fortunate that this hasn't been the norm. However, it has been in other industries. Try walking into a Chevy dealer and buying a C8 for MSRP.

#17879 2 years ago
Quoted from K9Marshal:

Yeah I hear ya - oh well I’ve already lost the excitement of this pin release from all this - I’ll wait for the premium and buy from someone who didn’t raise prices ‍♂️

I do hope you, and everyone else, that wants an LE can find one at a standard prices. Maybe after the reveal some will become available.

#18026 2 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

LE...was it in the trailer?

No, just pro and premium are in the trailer.

#18242 2 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

What’s the code name for Mando?

Grogu

No one would guess since he’s known as “baby yoda”

2 months later
#19602 2 years ago

I've said this before (as have others) and will continue to do so... I have to think Stern is looking at trying to do Nintendo themed machines. May be a difficult license to obtain, but it's been done before. The popularity of Mario, Zelda, Pokemon is just too much to ignore.

I'm not into Pokemon but I would think it's theme would be perfect for pinball gameplay.

2 weeks later
#20170 2 years ago
Quoted from starfighter:

Sad to say, but price increases are coming across the board .... not sure by how much though.

Would have been nice to know this a few weeks ago when I sold 2 games to make room for JP and DP. Would have kept them had I known the upgrade would cost an additional $1.6k.

#20297 2 years ago

Need help, I'm in a bad relationship. I was hurt (last two NIBs had ghosting/pooling), but it was made up to me (populated pf and unpopulated pf). We continued talking (playing) and I decided I could get over past flaws and move on with the continued apologies.

So I made two spots (sold two games recently) so that they could move in (ordered two new games last month). Now they say I have to pay their rent (looming price increase). I want to leave, I really do, but I have space... when will this cycle stop.

#20299 2 years ago

I understand Stern raising prices. From a business standpoint it probably needs to happen, especially in the current environment.

However, with such a huge backlog, so many people waiting for games, and so many putting orders in with lower pricing... the timing of it is just terrible.

2 weeks later
#21556 2 years ago

Any confirmation on how/if the price increase affects current games?

1 month later
#22816 2 years ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

BTTF...confirmed?! Slip of the tongue...

I love your enthusiasm for for BTTF, lol

I’d be shocked if Stern isn’t/hasn’t pursued Nintendo products like Pokémon, Mario, Zelda, etc. I feel like video game properties are the next stage of evolution for licenses.

#22935 2 years ago

Would love a McFarlane art Spidey. Won’t happen, but would be a dream machine for me.

1 week later
#23187 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

All excited for this and you go pro? Huh..

However, to be fair Pros will probably be $10k by then so many may be settling.

1 month later
#24851 2 years ago
Quoted from Lucxor:

Would love to see one of these 3 from the 90ths

I think video game assets would be great for Stern. Hoping it’s only a matter of time.

#24873 2 years ago
Quoted from mbl1116:

All the talk of 90s games so I’ll say it again. Legend of Zelda would be my first LE. Though I’d be just as happy with a straight Nintendo theme using all the characters.

Nintendo would be a number one theme for me, and others I’d bet. There are so many assets within the Nintendo world that could be stand alone games, similar to Marvel: Mario, Donkey Kong, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Zelda, Pokémon, Metroid, Etc.

Maybe we need to start following @crujones4life’s say it and they will build it lead.

#24936 2 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

One issue with video game licenses is pinball and video games competing for the same entertainment dollars. If you're trying to sell a $60 PS or X-Box game you don't want your market going out and spending those $$ that could be spent on your DLC on pinball instead.
Street Fighter II Baby Pac-Man Mr. & Mrs. Pac-Man Super Mario Bros.
I'd love to see a Command and Conquer pin.

I don’t see much correlation. A $60 game is a very different item, and experience, than a $6k - $12k pinball machine. If I have the money to buy a machine I can buy the game as well.

Plus, one could say the same about other licenses.

Quoted from Prince66cali:

Didnt I mention Final Fantasy. BTW How would you possibly play a role playing game on pinball?

Why would you have to? Plenty of other franchises than RPGs. But I would love a FFVII machine.

If you asked me how to make a pinball machine based on a music band I’d have no idea, but Stern makes it work.

#25123 2 years ago

I’m sure a Pokémon pin would do just fine…

“Pokémon became the highest-grossing media franchise of all time with $95 billion, beating out other franchises such as Star Wars, Marvel and Mickey Mouse.”

2 months later
#26208 2 years ago
Quoted from beltking:

For an operator tmnt sells but I’m wondering in home setting if I should get one. I have most the top games and it scares me this pin is sold so much and doesn’t sell for premium normally a lose used. Le is not crazy expensive like others. Love tmnt growing up. Pro tmnt only lasted 6 months at my local bowling alley bf he got rid of it.

Play it before you buy it. Dream theme for me so I went LE. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to get into it like other games, it just hasn’t clicked with me.

1 month later
#26933 1 year ago

Video game properties are an untapped source imo. Lots of potential with so many great themes that lend themselves well to pinball, Pokémon being a great example.

1 month later
#27932 1 year ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:Has Stern ever completely surprised everyone or is there always leaks in the weeks leading up ?

I’m thinking AIQ was a bit of a surprise, but not entirely sure.

4 weeks later
#28969 1 year ago

Since we are talking Nintendo nostalgia with Pokémon and Castlevania…, both of which I think could work, I’d love a Mega Man pin.

3 weeks later
#30024 1 year ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

Don’t mind me. Just posting a screenshot from the Star Wars making of, 3 minutes in, of the underside of the original run of the game without service rails for no reason.
[quoted image]

That looks like such a disappointment: art looks terrible, layout is atrocious, PF is bare, and lamest theme ever. Won’t sell more than GZ. Will be a pass for me. Oh well, more money in my wallet. Thanks Stern.

First.

#30362 1 year ago
Quoted from J85M:

Close but the order might be a little out…..

I really hope you are wrong, cause I’d want 3 of those and I’m out of room.

#30959 1 year ago

Great, now Stern has us playing wordle.

#31389 1 year ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Not only did Zach and Nicole break the news when Stern will announce (on “the better half” podcast via TPN) , but also the title and it was done very cleverly ,I might add .Bravo ! Im not going to spoil the fun but it’s in there you just have to crack the code people

Way to discriminate against those of us not smart enough to crack codes…

#31458 1 year ago
Quoted from NEW-B:Exactly, while Pokemon may be very popular, there is a HUGE difference between millions of people downloading and playing Pokemon Go versus dropping $7k plus on a pinball machine.
Someone said it before but if pinside posters ran Stern and chose IPs, the place would be bankrupt in less than a year.

What license isn’t like that? Music, movies, comics, etc. have millions spending <$20 at a time. Pokémon is a huge global IP, has had 30+ years of staying power with a demographic coming into money. I don’t see it as any different than other themes we’ve seen succeed as a pin.

1 week later
#32433 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

agreed, therefore the emphasis on almost
That said, a chip shortage (now also levelling off with costs also coming down by 50% in some cases after a 1000% increase during covid - SMT32 chips anyone - - none of the other parts in a spike II system are that limited I think, except for perhaps the CPU, and even any chips can be found if you look hard enough at a premium price, sure they will cost more than before covid....BUT it does not warrant a price increase of $2000 USD over 16 months, it is just not realistic solely on the chip example.

Costs do not determine price.

#32597 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

Stern is all about volume. They are not going to pull a JJP monster price out of the bag.
Gary and management can see secondary market softening and they know we are going into recession. $200-300 is not unreasonable and I think that's what we get.

Personally, I don’t consider any additional increase at this time reasonable considering they raised prices over 20% less than a year ago.

#32626 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

They did raise prices but not "over 20%". 11.3% for pro and 15.4% for premium.

My apologies, was a poorly written statement on my part. “They” does not equal Stern.

I paid 22% more on a Prem from my quote last year. Part of that is Stern’s increase and I’d assume part is additional freight costs and distributor margin.

1 week later
#33108 1 year ago

Pinball machines are not a giffen good, you could make the argument for a Veblen good, however. Similar, but different.

The reason for the multiple sku model is most likely to optimize profit. Stern probably thinks this is the best way to optimize given its customer base and behaviors.

3 months later
#34705 1 year ago

Don’t underestimate the power of the Pokémon franchise, it’s not a “kids” theme. It’s millennial era pop culture. You may not like it, but so many do.

7 months later
#39938 8 months ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

If its pricing like EHOH 40th and Bond 60th this thing has no chance. Bond 60th owners got burned hard with that game tanking. I dont think the apetite is there unless this game actually has gameplay changes.

Agreed. I’d normally be all over this since I missed the LE, but not even going to inquire about it at the current prices.

3 months later
#42678 4 months ago
Quoted from kool1:

Jan 2024 would be a perfect time to launch Spike 3.. would love to see it.
I'm not pre-ordering anything anymore, but I'm definitely interested in Jaws. Hoping my neighbor just gets one, he is on the waiting list.

I'm jealous you have neighbors who like, and buy, pins!

Sometimes I leave the games on and the front blinds open in an attempt to attract like minded neighbors.

2 months later
#44684 85 days ago
Quoted from OreoFlapjacks:

A proper OG G1 1980's Trans Formers theme would be so great. Not that souless Michael Bay stuff.

G1 Transformers is the one theme I'd squeeze into the game room and risk the divorce.

1 month later
#46107 29 days ago
Quoted from Grantman:

Just took the Stern survey (received link via email "Your voice shapes the game – earn $$ & complete our pinball survey!"). I don't know if I was randomly selected or why I received this but the first 1,000 people to complete the survey get $15.
Several questions about if you would pay a monthly fee for what is basically Insider Connected now. I put in the minimum amount I could for what I would pay ($0.01 for min and $0.02 for max). I suggest others do the same. I like IC but have no interest in paying a monthly fee for it. The games are expensive enough and the challenges/badges encourage people to play on location, producing more sales for them.
Also, there was a list of manufacturers somewhere on the survey that had "Park Ridge Pinball" listed. Anybody ever hear of that?

Was only a matter of time before the monthly fee popped up. My guess is there will be a basic service and a fee for a premium membership with additional content.

3 weeks later
#47000 2 days ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

You can buy the same speakers and put in better lighting and whatever colour surrounds you'd like and it'll only run you a couple hundred dollars.

I was an LE buyer willing to pay the premium when LEs were at $8-9k. But at $13k I'll just do the upgrades I care about (mainly powder coating) myself and save the money.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 39.99
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

5,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Myers, FL
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 24.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Hutto, TX
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
FlipMods

Machine - For Sale
Islamorada, FL

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kell.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine?tu=kell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.