dad_lg-min (resized).jpg
E497E3E8-872D-4DC9-B95B-17AFBD94F4D0 (resized).jpeg
23DC2D2F-A90E-4CA2-98A1-F19762374E3D (resized).jpeg
FDD39C64-5E43-4A2A-80EF-54E82F1F62E3 (resized).jpeg
Keanu (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #33984 Stern's new factory information Posted by Grantman (1 year ago)

Post #36014 TRAILER: Foo Fighters Pin teaser trailer Posted by Yoko2una (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jawjaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#34 7 years ago

Seems like it will be a while for the next with the manufacturing woes. GB was announced 4 months ago and seems like only a small batch of pros have been made. Hopefully Stern will use the time to get color displays finally in a pin. Painful to keep seeing great games with terrible displays.

#100 7 years ago
Quoted from silver_spinner:

ROCK is not the top selling downloaded or selling music media these days. do some research.

Careful what you ask for. Have you seen what is popular in music nowdays? Ugh. Rather have grandpa rock than that garbage.

1 week later
#214 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I think an outer space theme not based on any movie could be awesome. There is so much material to work with. Kind of an original science fiction theme. I guess Big Bang bar is the last time that was tried.

I would love that. Be great if it was a spoof with a ton of humor. Doubt Stern would do that, though. Probably stick with same formula that has worked. Can't blame them since they can't make them fast enough.

2 weeks later
#282 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Surely Stern will make a bunch more Mets before they are out of the license. Mets are selling like mad and more that are sold the more people that are exposed and want one. Met is going to keep climbing in demand over the next year it seems.

I know the consensus is acdc is the best seller but MET has to be up there especially since MET has the better pro. Seems like it's easy money to keep production running.

#311 7 years ago

Star Wars pin is going to be hard to pull off. There are already 7 movies and more to come. I don't see it coming together well and high probability that Stern will phone it in. Easy sell on theme alone.

3 weeks later
#374 7 years ago

If Stern is doing Aerosmith with color display and top talent, it would be cool if they also did a retheme with a more modern band. Just change out the art, songs, and animations. Same for a new Star Wars pin. One based on the original trilogy and another based on the new movies.

1 year later
#1766 6 years ago

I get Iron Maiden. Lot's of fans, fills stadiums, lots of merch, blah blah blah. There is a lot of pop music that is very popular around the world and a lot of aging bands with aging fans. Most of that music does not appeal to me but whatever. Any theme can be good if done right but none of this pop stuff sounds very exciting. It would be cool to see themes that are a bit more unique, obscure, or fresh. Everything seems very predictable and very similar to what they have done before. Not sure what else you can do with a rock pin. Songs will probably be modes, some kind of Sparky looking bash toy, a couple of ramps, and two flippers.

1 year later
#4811 4 years ago

Visuals in the new Top Gun trailer look amazing. Old movie was a bit cheesy but true 80s classic. Problem with Goonies is it was just one movie and not as popular as other stuff from the 80s. I would love to see more 80s retro goodness so not going to complain if a Goonies pin is made.

2 weeks later
#5222 4 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Nope.
Mainly a show for people who grew up in the 80s.
Was reluctant to start it but actually really enjoyed it!

Same here. I rarely watch any TV anymore. Someone told me Stranger Things was pretty good and my kids wanted to see it. Season 1 was awesome. Season 2 not so much but ended strong with season 3. They did a great job leaving you hanging at the end of each episode and wanting more. The show mostly centers around kids/teenagers but it's not a kids show at all. If it was a movie, it would probably be PG13 with the language, violence, and adult content. My kids did not catch most of the jokes because they were aimed at people my age that grew up in the 80s. It would probably be the one pin that my kids would totally be interested in.

1 week later
#5571 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I know this won't ever get made , but I'd love to see this , the most Australian band ever .
THE CHATS !

Stern's qc guy has been on a long smoko. lol

2 weeks later
#5765 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

It has a very Steven Spielberg feel to it . A bit like , ET , Goonies, Stand By Me , kids in an adventure but dealing with the supernatural .
I ignored it for a long time but after hearing alot of good things about it here on pinside finally gave it a go . The wife was sceptical at first but we watched the first episode and then one more and then another , we were hooked . It's set in the 80s and has a great soundtrack if you like the above movies I highly recommend giving it a try .

Exact same thing with me. Heard good things about it and had some people tell me personally I would love it. Most TV shows don't really interest me so blew it off. Kids started talking about it and we finally gave it a go. We were instantly hooked and stayed up late watching extra episodes. I can't think of another modern theme that is popular among different ages. Adults are into it and so are the kids. My kids were almost bullied for not watching it sooner. Much better theme than some old movie or dinosaur band. Pokemon has some popularity with different ages but that sounds like a horrible pin imo. That stuff is better off in the video game world. I would love, love a Mad Max pin but I know that is a long shot. Less appeal but could be soo good.

2 weeks later
#6097 4 years ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

Back then was a glorious time. I had a retail shop. No ebay or pinside to compete with me. Most people came in the shop not knowing you could buy a pinball for home. Close outside were awesome. Baywatch, golden eye, dirty harry for 1800 new in box. Sure there were more. The real steal were all the big operators and distributors who were overflowing with junk pinballs that were happy to have me haul them away for cheap. Tz for 600 whirlwinds and diners for 250 to 300 each. Addams were hard to score but even then I never paid over 1500.
I miss those days.

Kills me that I didn't get into pinball until much later. $1800 was still a decent amount of money back then - close to $3000. Could of got a lot of now expensive games for cheap. Amazing how much the internet has changed our lives and economics in such a short time.

#6191 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Right. People have already ordered and paid for them from what I’m told. They will be shipped them ASAP after announcement. Maybe they are only letting stern army locations do this.

People are buying games completely blind? That's crazy. Wouldn't you at least like to see a picture or have some description of what you are buying? It's not like every Stern has been a masterpiece.

4 months later
#7501 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I mean how many people REALLY want to buy a lotr for 7-8k? Tron was in the same boat and how many "vaults" do you think they sold on that final run.
I would love to see some games redone but from a business standpoint, I just don't see the profits of it being worth it.

Not only that but how many people want LOTR that don't already own one or owned one in the past? And then you get into how many of those can actually afford a premium+ price for a new one. I also don't think many locations want an old looking expensive game when they can get a pro with lcd, better sound, and modern theme for much less.

So far, it seems like the vaults are just low hanging fruit that Stern fills gaps in production to keep workers busy. New art/code is one thing but redoing an entire game and running on a different boardset sounds pretty complicated. Stern would also have to deal with licensing and that could turn into a headache if they want to do new art and code. I don't see the business sense in doing that for a very limited run.

3 weeks later
#7661 3 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Jaws was the internal codename for JP2. No way they'd use that if actual Jaws was even on the radar as a theme.

And Godzilla sure sounds like a codename for something else. Maybe car theme based on GTR's? I would love that but not getting my hopes up lol.

#7869 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Try leaving the 90s for an example.
Dialed In
Houdini
Black Knight sor (*kind of)
Americas Most Huanted
Tna
Octoberfest
Raza
With the exception of TNA with it's great rags to riches story, how have the rest of those titles sold? Compare those numbers to pretty much ANY liscensed game. Heck, Munsters probably has better numbers that almost all of those titles and it's no gem no be nice.

No modern game, even ones with the best licenses, can compare to production numbers of the past. The whole industry was different back then where the focus was location play. Now, the home user is the driving market. Home users want something special in a pinball with a theme they relate to. Look at all the hype threads. They are all in hope of some licensed theme. Look how many people are willing to drop thousands instantly on a popular theme sight unseen. Theme sells plan and simple.

1 week later
#8081 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

A well done Back to the Future pin would sell like hot cakes .
If you think back to the future is a shallow story you're not trying hard enough . There are so many options for modes - save doc , save your family , stop Marty junior going to jail , get the Almanac back , get the DeLorean up to 88 mph ect .
What's wrong with having Bifff as the " bad " guy , in the pin , you could have a Biff wizard mode and play through all the times Marty has beaten Biff .
There is more music in Back to the Future than just Huey Lewis , Johnny B Goode anyone

Exactly - what more are you looking for? I'm not a mega fan or anything. I saw the movies back in the day and really enjoyed them just like many others. Watched the shows again with my kids years later and they loved it. Good clean fun. Characters were awesome. You rooted for Marty and Doc to overcome all the obstacles and cheered when Biff got what was coming to him. Music was awesome. DeLorean was and is awesome. Fit the movie and the time period perfectly. Time travel always fun when you got the future, past, and present to play with. No game is instant buy for me but this would definitely be an exciting title if done. Problem is you would not get any callouts from the actors. Probably wouldn't get all the music you expect and may not even get many clips from the movies. It would probably end up being largely based on generic time travel with little references to the actual movies. Kinda like JP is more about dinosaurs than the actual movies. That's been the trend so I wouldn't expect anything different.

1 month later
#8431 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

Im sure its been mentioned before but I think a perfect modern theme for pinball is the fallout video game franchise. The whole post apocolyptic world with all the lore they have created over the years would be incredible. Could be a nuke bash toy that would explode after doing something. Nuka cola, mutants, different locations. Would just be awesome. And it may actually be the kind of IP that would bring in new buyers as its an incredibly successful video game franchise. Im guessing itll never happen but that would be right up there with Harry Potter for me in must have themes.

Fallout retro futuristic art design would make for one cool looking pin. I can see pushing the rpg element where you can be good or evil to get different wizard modes. Perks could be collected to make every game a little different. Collect bottle caps for currency to spend on upgrades, weapons, or whatever. That all may be too much for those not familiar with the game but so much you could do. It would also be easy to license since it's just a game. Stern could also claim that any pf issues are on purpose to add to the apocalyptic look. J/k!

#8454 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I was also thinking a Tombstone pin would be awesome. It would be like Cactus Canyon

Any western theme would be awesome but I would prefer the Clint Eastwood variety. The Good, Bad, and Ugly being top of that list of course. Love the quick draw feature in CC. How cool would it be to have a shootout with multiple targets popping up and down all over pf?

1 month later
#9232 3 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

8000 average cost for a Tron Pro? You know that just isn't true. A bone stock Tron Pro fetches around 5600 and 6500 heavily modded. I also think it was around 4200 NIB If I remember correctly.
All the Pins that got vaulted that were low 4k NIB got priced at 5700 NIB and it hurt sales to some degree. Do you want a NIB GOT for 5700 or you want one from when there were less playfield issues for less than 5000.
I don't think a stock Tron would be insanely desirable at current NIB prices.

Demand is questionable when plenty take a while to sell in marketplace. It's not like these regularly get snatched up in an instant at insane prices. No doubt Stern would charge premium money for any Tron vault. If it has a dmd and very few upgrades, that's a tough sell imo. You would have to be a pretty dedicated fan to walk pass games like TMNT and JP to buy Tron vault for more money.

2 weeks later
#9882 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It was made for 12-16yr olds for the light horror fun adventuring and 38+ year-olds with the nostalgia. Maybe you fall in the 16-38 year old gap.

That's probably true but Stranger Things is popular period. There is no arguing that whether you personally like it or not. Same for all the Marvel superhero stuff. I would prefer to see other themes but no arguing it's a solid theme in terms of popularity. It's at least a better theme to work with than Elwin's other games. Hope it is his game. Going to be awesome to see what he does next.

1 month later
#10748 3 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

A Godzilla themed pin would be badass based on the old or new movies. But I think a Godzilla vs Kong 2021 based theme would be killer. All the different monsters especially King Ghidorah. But won’t happen
[quoted image]

That would be awesome. You could choose a monster Kong or Godzilla to battle other monsters. Have my doubts as well.

1 week later
#10992 3 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

The multiplier aspect makes the game. Controlling and shifting the shots, huge risk reward building it up, timing it right for 40x... all great stuff.

Same. The multiplier is awesome. It's like a mini game that adds another layer of gameplay. At any point in the game, you can build up a multiplier and make a shot incredible.

1 week later
#11236 3 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

Honestly while this is NOT for me, it's a great price point to get other families and enthusiasts into pinball at a lower cost.

It's not for us, obviously. No need to bash it. Looks great for what it is imo. Some people may just want a cheaper, simpler game to stick in their basement for their grandkids to play now and then. You still have the pro, premium, and le for those that want more.

#11281 3 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

Nothing more than a toy with an over exaggerated price to boot!

Think you just summed up all pinball and the entire hobby in one sentence. Love how we can call a $4000 game overpriced garbage but then turn around and buy games costing more than 3x as much.

2 weeks later
#11637 3 years ago
Quoted from Ceckitti:

High Speed 3. But this time you are the cop.

Love it! You could even spin it into a Mad Max Interceptor knockoff. That way no licensing fees! Modify your police car with speed parts to chase down bad guys driving crazy cars in the post apocalyptic wasteland. Any decent car theme would get my interest, though.

1 month later
#13055 3 years ago
Quoted from StrangeSubset1:

What is it with all the music pins? Don't get me wrong, there is tons of bands that I would not mind, but can it not be more creative than that?
Let's look at the top ten pins ever....ain't many music pins on that list.

They sell plain and simple. I would wager the majority of the top selling pins in past 15 years are rock band themes.

1 month later
#14237 3 years ago

Brilliant CSI work everyone. It's a puzzle lol. You got to admit that's pretty funny.

#14246 3 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

A pinball company doing a teaser for a puzzle is really fucking annoying and stupid. Trolling is a really shitty marketing strategy. I’m over it. Grow up Stern.

Man, lighten up. You are taking things way too seriously. Stern said nothing about it being about a new game or anything more than just what it was - a few pics of a puzzle.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#14371 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

But I still don't see the appeal of a Jaws pin.

I see the appeal but not sure how capture the movie in a pin. What is there besides the scary music and impending shark attack? A few boat scenes I guess. If you go through a mode ladder buildup to the exciting shark stuff it would just turn into "who brought the dog" moments. Still sounds better than another superhero or classic rock band theme.

3 weeks later
#15234 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

/begin vent
This is an issue that I have about buying NIB pins the last few years. If you want an SLE, or Collectors Edition, you have to get in day 1 or just a few days later or you will probably miss out. Even Rick and Morty was gone in a day. Seems that the "play it first, and then buy it" are gone. If you want it you better get in on in fast or you will miss out. It is so bad I keep a close eye on what is coming out so I can order ASAP as soon as the announcement is made. Some are even having distributors hold 'possible' games with a deposit. And there are some deep pockets in this hobby now where the 'high prices' aren't much of a deterrent for them.
So for people that want to hold off and play it first you will likely be unable to get MSRP on a SLE, LE or CE version and will have to 'settle'? for a PRO or Premium model.
/end vent

Why LE? Seriously. Why is that little plague so important and it's a terrible tragedy to 'settle' on a much cheaper premium with 100% identical gameplay? If you have to have one of these limited versions, all you need is patience. There are always chances to buy spots in line or games used in future.

#15543 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

This may be unpopular but I have never seen a decent Godzilla movie. I’ve watched a dozen movies in full and another dozen where I couldn’t take it anymore and bailed. Not one was worth a damn, imo. Godzilla is cool though and if Stern incorporates some film footage, I will like it. IF Stern does not show movie clips in Godzilla, that would be a tragedy. Guess we’ll know soon, once Stern comes.
edit - thumbs up for more puzzles though. I’d welcome some cool Japanese styled puzzles with Godzilla.

I'm holding onto the idea that the old movies are awesome even though I have not watched them since I was a kid. Watching them again would probably ruin good childhood memories of watching monster movies after school. None of the newer movies look that great so never bothered to watch any. I still think Godzilla would make a great pin as long as it's not phoned in. If it turns into fan layout with Godzilla head that you shoot balls into mouth that would be a shame.

2 weeks later
#16003 2 years ago
Quoted from gregh43:

stern needs to put out a virtual pinball.. with the virtual . you could play many differnt pinball games . instead of spending $1,000s for one pinball game that gets boring after awhile.

You do realize this is a pinball forum where people are passionate about pinball?

#16283 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

John Carpenter movies often do not do well at theaters, and this is no exception. It did massive business on home video once it left theaters. If you listen to the commentary on the special edition blu-ray you can hear about the missteps Fox took marketing the movie release and promises made that were not kept. Siskel and Ebert totally murdering it on their reviews was the nail in the theatrical coffin.

Gotta say you guys got me hyped on the movie. Watched in on youtube and wow, that sucked. Love all the ingredients but movie just seemed slapped together. Sometimes the critics are right. Not arguing it wouldn't be a fun pin theme but tough sell imo.

#16298 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I hated Mars Attacks when I saw it in a theatre in Tokyo. Paid $30 to see it (in 199x!), too. Don't know if it was the venue or the $30 or the on-screen japanese subtitles or the Mosburger I got from the in-theatre takeout window, but it just didn't do it for me. SO disappointed. Then I watched it again on video and caught a ton of details I just missed in Japan and liked it (except for the Jack Nicholson character - still hate that part). Now it's one of my favorite movies, seen it countless times.
Try the blu-ray version of Big Trouble in Little China. Concentrate on the dialogue. It's a great movie.

That's ok. I did really like Escape from New York which I saw for the first time not long ago. That movie had more of a believable story, better atmosphere, better characters, dialogue, action, etc. Still, I think these kind of movies have a limited audience which sucks. Even if I am not a fan, I still love to see more interesting themes than all the mainstream stuff. Please no more superheroes, classic rock, or Disney themes.

4 months later
#21265 2 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I'm surprised Godzilla has so much interest. Crazy to me.

Same here. I love it but didn't think Godzilla was that popular. Probably has a lot to do with Keith and just the crazy market. Good time to bring games to market.

2 months later
3 weeks later
#23730 2 years ago
Quoted from swampshroom:

I've never been able to understand why anyone who claims to be passionate about music could dislike Rush? Within Rush you have the best drummer in the world. You have one of the best bassist in the world and a phenomenal guitarist. All of there songs are either uplifting or deeply thought provoking, or both. The music that these 3 people create is top tier music for music enthusiasts. I understand people have different tastes in music and different genres appeal more to some than others. But if you appreciate music at all there is no way Rush can be denied as great music. You may enjoy something heavier. Something more country. Something more pop. But there is no denying Rush makes great music! Rush has a huge catalog of music and a huge following of avid fans. Rush absolutely deserve to be immortalized on a pinball machine.
Thanks for listening
Brandon

Why is it hard to understand? Music is art and art is subjective. I could just as easily say you should love my favorite band because I think they are great. I just don't understand why only old, classic rock gets to be a pin.

2 weeks later
#24382 2 years ago

Bond doesn't appeal to me either. Mostly because there are so many movies and Bond played by a variety of different actors. I just see Stern coming up with generic Bond character and villains to avoid extra licensing costs.

#24446 2 years ago
Quoted from Craziestsinge:

Williams made use of many actors who portrayed Dr. Who on their namesake table. Stern could probably do the same for Bond.

You think Stern would license all the bond actors? Sounds expensive. It would be cool to have great villains like jaws, bond girls, Aston Martin cars, music, etc but all that would need licenses which translates to $$$$.

2 weeks later
#25114 2 years ago
Quoted from JackG:

Pokémon would be the most sought after pin of all time. As long as it plays well any person of any age would love it.

Well, yeah any game that plays well will be liked. Saying it would be most desirable pin ever is a bit of a stretch. You honestly think grown middle age men would prefer Pokemon, a kids cartoon thing, over popular rock bands, popular 80's'/90's movies, and everything else???

#25240 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Looool, big time stretch trying to call those iconic titles children’s themes. Ninja’s and Marvel Hero’s, don’t get much more adult than that. Both comic series are cherished by adults worldwide. Stern doesn’t have a kiddie theme in their stable.

It doesn't get more adult than TMNT?

4 weeks later
#25715 2 years ago

I don't know how you would do a Bond theme. Dozens of movies and different actors playing Bond. It would end up being a generic spy theme like how JP is basically just dinosaurs. Totally agree about the modern Bond movies. Difficult to follow and nothing memorable.

1 month later
#26195 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Jetsons was essentially a home pin. Stripped down, low budget for the toys and software. Also the series itself is a minute fraction of Scooby Doo's fanbase.
If Stern, JJP or CGC did it, it would be a massive hit.

Massive hit? Was TMNT a massive hit? Kind of same thing to me. I grew up watching Scooby as well as other cartoons but that doesn't translate to me spending $7000+ on a pin. Works great as family pin but I think most collectors prefer something a bit more adult.

1 month later
#26698 1 year ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

Especially with postponing a cornerstone in an attempt to catch up on the backlog I don’t understand putting in the effort on converting an old design to a vault. Unless they went the route of colorDMD and keep the dots, they would have to redo all the graphics an animation, and possibly have to license more IP. I don’t understand why they would do that when you already have designed work ready to go.

Plus you would competing with old games and using old design/license. It would be a ton of effort to update all art, animations, code, etc. You cannot vault LE's so it would be some pro/premium mix priced above premium ($10000+). A new title gets you much more excitement plus the all important LE cash cow.

1 week later
#26927 1 year ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

Walk into either Harry Potter themed section of Universal Orlando. It is always packed in there and people are decked out with the merchandise they sell there. It's definitely still a valuable license.

I was there right after it opened and you could barely move through the Harry Potter section. My boys were there earlier this year on school trip and it was still packed. I am totally not a fan but I cannot think of a bigger title that appeals to all ages. People love all that fantasy, magic, sword, wizard whatever nonsense.

3 months later
#30190 1 year ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

I always thought Gone In 60 Seconds could make a fun pin .

That or the Fast and Furious series. Over the top characters, cool cars, upgrades, chases, cheesy lines, etc.

1 week later
#30953 1 year ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Is it true if Stern does Jaws or Back to The Future - there will be no Cast members.
Not sure there is enough meat on the bone for a Jaws without the Cast.. Bruce quite frankly is dated..
Though the acting and storytelling has been the only thing that has stood the test of time.
Back to the Future.. Without the character actors is just a bad Car. Might as well make a American Pickers Pinball with a Delorean .

Could be something. My idea would be playing Biff as he steals the Delorean. You go through time trying to get rich (points) and manipulate things to your advantage like stealing the sports book. Maybe you could even get the actor to do callouts. Super fans probably wouldn't like that but the Delorean was always the star of the show imo.

1 week later
#32550 1 year ago
Quoted from Jaytech10:

Don't blame JJP or other for price increases. When JJP sees people selling their GNR CEs for 2k to 6k about msrp 2 years ago. Stern with godzilla LEs doing the same. How much above msrp you sold elvira 40th anniversary for?
Greedy people need to leave. let us players/hobbyist/small route people enjoy for reasonable prices.

That and people are gladly paying higher msrp prices. Stern cannot make games fast enough and even had to put off releasing games trying to catch up. The highest priced games (LE's) sell out almost instantly these days. People are already putting money down on Bond without even seeing the game.

#32566 1 year ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Lets revisit these points 6-12 months from now. I'll wager a good sum the market will be in a much different place.

Bubble burst is right around the corner? That's crazy! You should start a pricing thread with that fresh take.

#32619 1 year ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I didn't mention a bubble. I do think inflation is going to impact NIB sales in the next 6-12 months, particularly if Stern continues with price increases. It is already happening with Toy Story.
Demand for high end toys like pinball machines isn't price inelastic. Like I said, lets revisit this conversation in 6-12 months.

People buying expensive luxury items like nib pinball machines are not going to be that affected by inflation. People have been and will continue to pay high prices for pins. TS4 is hardly an example. Fans were unhappy with the product more than the price. If JJP produced a better game based on all the movies they would of easily sold at those prices. It's not like previous successful JJP games were cheap. If Stern's Bond looks pretty good, it's guaranteed the LE's will sell out quickly even with inflated five figure prices. Many are already sold without even a picture or idea of price. As long as I have been in the hobby, people have always complained about prices but games are currently selling better than ever. I don't get it but that's the facts.

1 week later
#33144 1 year ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

Nobody has touched on the psychological effect of the 3 tiers yet, so I will.
1. Pro. Least amount of money, and for the significant penny pinching population out there, it makes them feel as though they got a great deal. You feel like everyone else spends too much money on pins, and this is the wise financial choice. You just wanna play the game, and none of those mechs really matter. The building in Godzilla? Pfff, gets old. Slows down the game. I’m a pro, short for “professional”.
2. Premium. Goldie Lock’s porridge. You get all the mechs without spending top dollar. You don’t feel like a cheapskate, but at least you’re not those crazy people who buy LEs. Ah yes, best if both worlds. You are in balance with the world. A true centrist, not like those whacky democrats or republicans.
3. Limited Edition. Spare no expense. All the bells and whistles, and you got #348 / 1000, so you really feel like you got a one-of-a-kind item, not some hollow shell of a game. You are missing absolutely nothing, where even with a premium, you’d be missing out. Heck, you can’t even buy those art blades! Top of the food chain, alpha pins only, and my distributor comes over for thanksgiving! Put down my topper / shooter rod money when I pre-ordered, because fuck it, yolo.
Three distinct psychological approaches to justifying spending way too much money on a single game. Stern is brilliant for covering all three significant markets.

Plus the demand for LE's create a lot of hype on release and no doubt help increase sales of pros/premiums. LE's also force buyers to commit early which gives you instant cash flow before games are even built. Locking in buyers is crucial with competition growing. I don't see how you could criticize Stern's business model when they cannot build enough games to meet demand.

4 months later
#35537 1 year ago
Quoted from Rizmo:

I mean why hide the numbers. What harm would it do. They retired TMNT not to long ago. It would be nice to see how many Pro/Pre/LEs they sold. We know they make a certain LEs. Why hide how many Pro/Pre were made after the retire. I dont see what giving us that information would do to harm them. I mean if you look at the car industry. Toyota/Chevy/Ford/Ram all say how many trucks they sold that year. If anything I think it would be bragging rights

Stern doesn't gain anything giving out production numbers and it would be useful to the competition. Private companies don't have to release that kind of info like public traded companies. It would be interesting to see what the overall top sellers are but we pretty much already know which ones are on top and which ones on bottom.

#35553 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

Kong done similar to Godzilla would kick ass. Replace the burning building with Empire State Building and throw in some vintage battle clips and a rocking soundtrack. How would this NOT sell?

A KK pin would look pretty awesome next to GZ. I grew up watching those old monster movies so I'm all for it.

2 weeks later
#35831 1 year ago
Quoted from Keylime:

Pokemon is one of the most successful franchises of all time worldwide. Pinball is expanding and there are many more younger fans now. People in their 30's L O V E D Pokemon when they were kids, and those people have small kids now that their parents are exposing to pinball.
If done right, it could make for a great game.
I'd probably rather see other "Classic Video Game" themes come first. Mario and Sonic seem like low hanging fruit that would be easy to make a decent game. They pretty much write themselves. I'd welcome most any theme from the late 80's and early 90's, though. Power rangers would be sick as hell too. I have young children that would equally enjoy these pins so I'm speaking as a family man. TMNT is a great game but it's fatal flaw is that it's theme doesn't match how difficult it is. I still love that game and would love to own an LE someday. The art packages are so killer on those machines.
I'm getting off track. I'd be happy to give Pokemon a fair shake, the music was always good in the games and the show, "collecting 6 pokemon, evolving them and then battling the elite 4" seems like an awesome, deep pinball adventure. I frankly see Pokemon as a great way to attract a younger crowd to pinball and overall a great seller and easy move for Stern.
It's tough getting old when you aren't targeted by companies anymore, but it doesn't make things a "bad decision" when they choose to target a younger audience.

If it's a popularity contest, there are plenty of things super popular that would appeal to non pinheads. But that's not your core market. How many 45+ year olds would buy a Pokemon pin even if it was "done right"? I sure wouldn't.

#35936 1 year ago
Quoted from greenstreet:

I turned 20 in 1992 so Foo is my era. I can’t name one song. Just went on Apple Music and listened to their “top songs”, only recognize one (Best of You).
I appreciate there are passionate fans of this band. That’s awesome. But, 1) it’s not for me and 2) there are a lot of bands like this with passionate fans. I’d rather see a Pearl Jam or Red Hot Chili Peppers pin.

Same age and agree. I've heard their songs through the years but cannot think of one. Still, it's better than another dinosaur rock band and step in the right direction. Hope it's successful so Stern will consider more modern, alternative band themes or at least more variety. Love to see a country, punk, grunge, or electronic theme someday.

#36186 1 year ago
Quoted from Vecna:

Foo needs a 500 LE unit cap.

Why? To further push up prices and create more unhappy customers? If Stern can sell more LE's, they should make more.

2 months later
#37197 11 months ago

Sure hope there is not another Spiderman pin in the works. There already was a pin based on the movies and one on comic books. It's only one character and all you would do is fight the same old villians. Plus there have been so many superhero themes it's overplayed. So many other great themes to consider. I would love a Simpson Treehouse of Horror but not going to argue Futurama wouldn't be great either. Both have so many great characters, art style, quotes, and humor.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 300.00
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Protection
Gameroom Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.50
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Brookings, OR
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RavSpec

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 51.45
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

9,899 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 9,799.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jawjaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine?tu=jawjaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.