balls...gif
balls..gif
IMG_4484 (resized).jpeg
Disney boy Seth Davis (resized).jpeg
Backinblack (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #33984 Stern's new factory information Posted by Grantman (1 year ago)

Post #36014 TRAILER: Foo Fighters Pin teaser trailer Posted by Yoko2una (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dr-pin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3466 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

I'm continually shocked pinball manufacturers aren't working with videogame licenses.
Pokémon, Metroid, Resident Evil, Half Life, Halo, Mario Bros, Sonic The Hedgehog, etc etc etc.
So many great titles that are known for big action, have a huge built-in fanbase, and so many assets to work with creatively.
From the 80s you had stabs at it with Q*Bert, Baby Pac, Mr. and Mrs Pacman, Joust. 90s Gottlieb gave us SFII and 2 Mario games. (Rollercoaster Tycoon counts, I guess)
But here we are with pins based off 50-60 year old TV shows and bands doing their long retirements. I love the new titles, but the people that grew up on home video games are now the ones with the careers and midlife crises!
I've seen a lot of griping in forums where people are like "NEW RESIDENT EVIL GAME???" and it's a thread lamenting that the new machine is a Biohazard pachinko from Japan. The pachinko/pachislo industry has done a decent job in tapping the video game world. I think other popular ones were Metal Gear, Castlevania, and Silent Hill.

Why stop there, as I wrote in Another thread, world of warcraft or civilization?
Great music allready made. Progression, wizard modes etc. The complexity is all there.
Old Bond themes isn't going to engage younger people, and tits and ass, probebly isn't very popular in a home environment, which seems to be a growing location for new pins.

#3468 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Animated Aladdin
and on and on and on...
Just tons of great movie properties if they're going the licensed route. But also do at least one huge video game property from that era, too. Final Fantasy VII, Crash Bandicoot, Tomba, Twisted Metal:Black, Kirby, Zelda, Tingle, A better Super Mario?, etc, etc.

I think most of the better Disney and pixar would make for an awesome pin, especially with well integrated led-cutscenes and complementing animation.
There is also huge advantages to the know it factor by all family members.

#3491 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

More wishful thinking.
But in my opinion TMNT is a great license, since it's a franchise thats popular with us old folks but still gets refreshes on TV.

I'm fifty plus and Wouldn"t play a tmnt even if it was the last pin on the planet.
For your tmnt pin, what would be the fun things, wizard modes etc that you think would make for an awesome pin.?
I'm Sorry i don't get it. Atleast rockband themes comes with great music and cool lifestyle attitude, but turtles?

#3494 4 years ago
Quoted from V8haha:

Well you sound like a stick in the mud! Haha
TMNT is in the pipeline...

So for what ages are tmnt?
40 to 48 year span?
I know none of my kids would care for a turtle pin.

Btw if you think im wrong, answer the questions.

#3502 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

I'm 37. My son is 6. I think we would both enjoy a tmnt pin.

And it will be about nunchucks and eating pizza or what?
Sorry that i cant see it. Dorky and strange as best. With that said lets see How wonka is doing....
(Another theme im totally puzzled about)

#3511 4 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I'm not personally interested in TMNT, but it has way more appeal than you give it credit for. I'd say most millenials and late gen X love TMNT, so everyone from like 30 to 45. Plus they still make cartoons for kids, so it's kinda perfect for a relatively young family for a home setting. It's perfect for a bar setting full of millenials. (I see a TMNT on location that regularly drives a lot of coin drop from the non-players. Imagine if the game was decent!)
I think it's worth noting that Raw Thrills made a TMNT game a couple of years ago. So people are clearly asking for and buying this theme for location play.

I have three kids under 20 and they couldnt care less for turtle. I'm to old but my wife is of turtle age, but isnt interested. Maybe its different in the US?
I think maybe turtles was a way to Milk martial art popularity, with a kid setting, which also seems hopelessly outdated.

Harry Potter, pixar, despicable me/minions or transylvania series on the other hand, the kids all love.

I think turtle maybe are way more popular over there.

Come to think of it, for me beeing older....
If Spielberg deliver on his promise of doing prisoners of the sun, i would surely love a Tintin pin.
Dont know though if Tintin was/is as popular over there.

#3542 4 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

Resident Evil !!
Cool chick
Cool theme
Cool Art
Zombie apocalypse
What’s not to like

Hard to fill the shoes of the excellent walking dead pin.

2 weeks later
#3960 4 years ago
Quoted from Tucks:

Just been told by an insider that 'Grease' is the word.

maybe they´ve designed a new lube for pinball machines?

2 months later
#4803 4 years ago

Would absolutely work, esp if you get the toto sound and virginia madsen to do the callouts and info.

#4828 4 years ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

Goonies in Europe is really not popuplar...

Goonies are and have been very popular in sweden.
I´ve shown goonies for my kids, and though the little one was a bit scared in the fratello restaurant, they all liked it a lot.

3 months later
#6559 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

So I played ST at CES and I don't like the way it plays, but I hear on podcasts and streams that people love it....sooo what is going on?

You know of any stream or podcast besides kaneda, Who says anything negative about Stern ever?

#6581 4 years ago

https://i3.ytimg.com/vi/VsPg0acvgFQ/hqdefault.jpg

Touche.
Does this mean he is out of the sdtm/flip-n-out family?

8 months later
#10416 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Side note, while we are discussing Sterns next pin (and rock themes). I hate to say it, but if either company gets to do Pink Floyd I would prefer JJP. And they can do Floyds Pulse and/or Delicate Sound of Thunder tours! That would be freaking awesome!!!

Maybe a combo pin with orange donald and pink floyd?
we all know what the pin theme would be.

#10512 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer67:

Led Zep is going to be EPIC!
Steve Ritchie and Led Zep?
For fuck's sake!
...and we won't have to see them in middle age!! They will appear eternally young and rockin'!
Immigrant Song; Communication Breakdown; Black Dog; Rock 'n Roll; Stairway; Whole Lotta Love; Heartbreaker; Since I've Been Loving You; Kashmir; How many More Times; I can't Quit you Babe; what is and What Should Never Be; Celbration Day; Gallows Pole; When the Levee Breaks; Tangerine; That's the Way; Battle of Evermore; Going to California; Song Remains the Same; Over the Hills; D'Yer Maker; The Ocean...
Go listen, children!...and ROCK ON!

Yea, it will be awesome.
Do you think it will be even better then star wars and BKSOR?

2 months later
#12292 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Mad Max 1 and 2, or Fury Road.

Fury road is perfect for pinball.
Just make one ramp and one shot that returns to the same flipper and the game is done and totally identical to the movie.

#12297 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I bet this game shoots great. I think the license was very restrictive on the assets they could use. Why else would the Icarus be on the LE game 7 times?

If that is the case, they honestly shouldn´t do the pin at all.

We have a few very recent example what great it does for the theme and integration when the license is coperative and even willing to do call outs etc.
GNR and R&M really shines theme and theme integration wise.

Having licensor and pincreator really enthusiastic about the project shines thru.

#12329 3 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

So any credible rumors of what’s next. Ballpin didn’t think LZ was next so whatever he saw pictures of is assuredly next up.

Jaws.

Even more blue and fins on the blimp.

4 months later
#16612 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Never even heard of Mandalorian until this thread. Just on Disney streaming (looks like it)?

It's terrible. I mean it's embarrasing.
What ever happened to the writers?
Did talent just die?

4 months later
#20271 2 years ago

I think the premium machine segment will suffer the most from the hefty price increase.

This is a perfect time for new and not established pinball companies, since stern and jjp has pretty much priced themself out of beeing competetive.

Would love to see chinese made games with us-game designers. Such a constallation would easily produce great competetive games at 4k, still turning a nice profit.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
1 year later
#39641 7 months ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

The next Stern Elwin Pin....... FULL ASSETS!!!! (but with a twist)

Awesome. Jaws theme with a catchy soundtrack.

Ed. If they do jaws, they must find a way to incorperate the indianapolis speech.

1 week later
#39841 7 months ago
Quoted from Vespula:

How many WoW kids even care about pinball or can afford it.. this is one circular conversation I see over and over here.

I do.

I have a hard time seeing any computer game beeing more suitable.
Lots of chars, monsters, missions, video cutscenes etc.
Start as specific race, you choose.
The game also has loads and loads of suitable music scores etc etc.
There is enough content in wow, to last for endless wizard modes, rules, weapons, you name it.

Btw orcs and humans were released 1994, that's 29 years ago.

#39844 7 months ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Gotcha. So maybe they'll sell about half as many as they did of RUSH .

Rush is one of the worst themes ever, if not the worst.
Wow is not and even if you havent played wow, the setting/athmosphere is similar to mm, conan, john carter etc. That is medieval fighting with monster, tribes etc.
If people can get behind mm, they for sure can with wow aswell.

#39845 7 months ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Btw orcs and humans were released 1994, that's 29 years ago.

This in itself is rather interesting, since games like wow and doom, was the death for arcades in thoose days, so people who left arcades and pinball back then, maybe left for games like wow?

For them the arcade and pinball, besides beeing fun, carries a nosthalgic value.

Might be a match made in heaven.

#39847 7 months ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Making troll-hattan proud... For your sake I hope they do make it so you can get the same enjoyment I do from Rush.

I'm glad you enjoy it.
I didnt in any way meant to be offensive. Sorry.
It's just a band that for me and many, atleast in europe, have marginal draw at best.
What do you see in rush, that would make it great for pinball?

If you argue zz-top for example, you have a cool car, videos with hot chicks etc.

What stands out with rush?

4 weeks later
#40692 6 months ago

Dune would probably work well as a pinball machine.

#40790 6 months ago
Quoted from LORDDREK:

I think you could take the recent price increase of pretty much anything and get a similar graph.

When that happens to a economy, all people will buy is food, fuel and roof over their head.

I dont know what it's like in the u.s. but we have a similar situation in sweden. The only thing not going up is sallary.

4 weeks later
#41557 5 months ago
Quoted from SimplePin:

LE burnout is on the horizon. What's next? How about the ULE? Ultimate Limited Edition model. $14,999. Your name, likeness or other customer picked items included in the artwork. Maybe call it a PLE. Personal Limited Edition. LOL

What´s Next?

Le´s at 10k
Premiums at 7.5
Pro´s at 6.

Supply is high and demand is low. Lower the prices or die.

#41576 5 months ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Some of us buy games because we love the hobby and love the games. Pinball is not an investment strategy or a financial retirement plan, it is a hobby. We share the hobby with all our family, friends and even pinheads we have never met. Sure, the new games are expensive, just buy what you can afford or drop some coins in a game at an arcade.
If you want to make it about money and you are so unhappy, sell everything up and let us all know how much money you make.

I'm not sure what your point is?

I love theese games and have zero interest in trying to make money on them.
That doesn't mean that i'm willing to drop a nurses yearly sallary on a barren venom, just cause it might be fun.....

This hobby is unhealthy overpriced and underachieved (look at all barren terrible games).
Hopefully it will come down to beeing healthy without totally crashing.

It will be very interesting upcoming weeks.
I think labyrinth was an ok start, a little pricey, but looks kind of fun.
I hope jjp follows with a loaded sensible priced EJ and also a really impressive jaws effort with 20% docked on all trims.

We will see.

2 weeks later
#42001 5 months ago
Quoted from KING-HENRY:

SO...are the rumors still floating around that JAWS will not contain A/V assets from the first film? And if these rumors still hold, would you be willing to say this will be more of just a 'Shark Pin'? I cannot image a JAWS Pin without the first film.

The assets will be from this one, you´ll probably not even notice the difference.

#42092 4 months ago

The only reason for a pokemon pin, would be to compete with claw machines.

#42312 4 months ago
Quoted from Zen_Monkey:

I would like some video game themes but i think many are fooling themselves into thinking a theme that is popular will draw a ton of new pinball players let a lone buyers.

Yeah it’s a nice middle ground I would be happy if they do that with Muse

A world of warcraft pin, if not interested in the theme, is a medieval madness pin, with a million times more options, assets, music, sounds etc etc.
It would work very well for pinball, no matter if a potential buyer is knowledgeable on the theme or not.

1 week later
#42478 4 months ago
Quoted from RikV:

The Si-chip shortage may have seen some relief, but people are starting to get worried about China restricting Gallium exports, which could impact markets like power electrinics and...LEDs. Guess only JJP should be worried with 2000 LEDs in EJ

Leds are practically free. The wiring costs more then the leds.

#42563 4 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Every Canadian is born loving Rush. Geddy Lee sings to every newborn baby so his angelic voice is imprinted on their innocent ears. .

More like some really creepy version of farinelli.

All i can think of, when hearing his voice is......
"Warriors come out to play"

2 weeks later
#42946 3 months ago

Both spooky games look great and comes loaded.

Jaws better be a loaded banger, or else stern will have to figure out fast what will be next to vault.

#42966 3 months ago
Quoted from Alaskanzen:

I’m not even sure how you can say this, with the exception of Rick and Morty which was a legitimate surprise at the time.
The engineering and design quality alone comparatively puts stern several steps beyond spooky. This isn’t to shade spooky they are just in a different class of pinball manufacturing. Spooky tends to over preform their design simplicity because of their approach to assets, art, ip, etc. if they ever had a legit engineering and design team they would be lethal. They seem to nail all other fronts but stern is a commercial and profession grade production companies to a still boutique process with spooky.

You honestly think Engineering and design quality is great with stern?

Stern is cheap ikea stuff, with a bit of philips hue(spike), were they can make your equipment useless whenever they feel like it.

#42970 3 months ago
Quoted from Alaskanzen:

I do. Sterns design and engineering ( shot layout, mechs, functionality….overall design sad integration) is vastly superior to spooky and Jpp for that matter. Both Spooky and Jpp are not durable and clearly are still designed for home/non commercial use. At this point Stern is leaps and bounds ahead of most everyone on design, engineering and software/coding. I do personally think Spooky is objectively superior to Stern and others on ip use, theme integration, and art ( there is nothing comparable to the butter cab, save for maybe the high end Jpp cabs, on a side note). Jpp and Spooky produce eye popping cabinets while sterns are less so ( I did like the new hoh however).
Chicago Coin might be the only one close to Stern as far as commercial production value goes. I don’t have a ton of experience with Dutch. To say Stern is cheap and or not to commercial use standard is astounding. This isn’t to say I have not experienced issues with modern stern ( my recent hoh playfield was not cured correctly and is now dimpled, and I had to effect numerous out of box fixes on the same machine). I personally do not believe Jpp or spooky hold up well in heavy use environments while sterns seem to be low maintenance and long life in said environments, generally speaking.
Also sterns insider connect is untouchable at present imho. Let’s check that on the stern box as well.

If you by design means ruleset and shotgeometry i wholehaertedly agree.
If you mean structural, i totally disagree. I would be utterly surprised if any stern spike/ikea lives by 25yrs.

There´s talk about spike three coming, meanwhile spike one games with unique boards are at risk of brick, as of yet.
If spike 3 comes next year, where do you see spike 2 games with unique boards in ten years?

i actually asked in a stern thread if there is any pinside thread listing games with unique spike 2 boards, but silence....

#43015 3 months ago
Quoted from JakePG:

Marvel is meh at this point. If Stern insists on doing more, I'd like to see something along the lines of Netflix (Disney)'s Daredevil, Alias, or Punisher

Beside Iron man and first doctor strange it is all crap.

#43049 3 months ago
Quoted from blaskoa:

can someone explain spike 2 vs spike 3. is it like thinking intel processor generation 10 vs generation 14? is it the “computer” or “software” running the machine?
what can spike 3 do that spike 2 cant?

The processor in spike 2 costs 3.5 usd, maybe the new spike 3 will have a 5 usd processor?

#43062 3 months ago
Quoted from frankmac:

A speculation of Jaws pinball that Kaneda has put together. We shall see.
[quoted image]

Damned, we are gonna need a bigger playfield.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades
Toys/Add-ons
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 17.50
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts
Toys/Add-ons
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 8,600.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place
Pinball Machine
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 9,799.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona
Pinball Machine
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dr-pin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine?tu=dr-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.