20240423_100718 (resized).jpg
20240423_100723 (resized).jpg
Whoa (resized).jpg
51AE3C41-1E6E-417B-B0FC-EAF0D317F2BB.gif
vince-neil-is-upset (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #33984 Stern's new factory information Posted by Grantman (1 year ago)

Post #36014 TRAILER: Foo Fighters Pin teaser trailer Posted by Yoko2una (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dakotamike.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5293 4 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Honestly, I'm sort of surprised Stern hasn't jumped onto some of the younger trends in gaming and turned them into pinball machines. They missed the boat on Angry Birds (just like the last movie), but there are still some very popular games out there that millions of people play daily;
Fortnite
Call Of Duty
League of Legends
Magic The Gathering
Older themes that still might resonate;
Halo
Clash Of Clans
Roblox
Minecraft
Candy Crush
And of course the aforementioned;
Pokemon

Yes, this! Plus, as long as the pins play really well, then I think players and older collectors would still get on board, even if the theme wasn't as strong for them. Besides, I know plenty of people older than my dad who play, or have played COD, Magic, Minecraft, ect.

#5312 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

There’s a balance that can be found that will interest both the older crowd and the younger crowd like myself. Munsters and Elvira are flat out old men themes, no one I know under 35 knows who either of them are.

With all due respect, I think you underestimate how many reruns of "The Munsters" were still being shown on TV in the 90s. I can vividly recall watching it on Nick at Nite or wherever. I'm 33, and I'm pretty sure even people a few years younger than me would still be familiar with Munsters if they had cable in the 90's. I also know who Elvira is, but admittedly, I mainly remember seeing her on cardboard stand-ups in the grocery store advertising beer around Halloween time!

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#5424 4 years ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

Should we have a pin based on the show "Friends" cause it has a huge fan base? Purely going off numbers isn't a great way to choose the next theme IMO.

Honestly, a "Friends" pin sounds pretty awesome! The idea sounds kinda ridiculous, but kinda brilliant at the same time. I could almost see Friends being a real machine from the 90's, given how many weirdly chosen shows and movies were made into pins in that era. Plus, now that Friends has been off the air for so long, and none of the stars have really been hugely successful, the license and likenesses might be just cheap enough to swing. And I mean everyone knows about Friends, so it has that going for it. You could have modes based on characters or on episodes, I mean the possibilities are almost endless. I want one now!

Quoted from Diospinball:

Damn... I like Eddy's games. Never seen stranger things and no real desire to go out of my way and watch. One day I might...

Well, Stranger Things is on Netflix (which almost everyone has), and the first season is only 10 episodes, so you wouldn't really have to go out of your way to watch it. In fact, you could honestly just watch the first episode and know immediately whether the show was for you or not. One of the best first episodes in recent TV history to be honest.

Plus, as far as a Stranger Things pinball machine goes...could you imagine the backglass/translite on it? The "movie posters" for each season all ready kinda look like backglasses to begin with! Plus, they've all ready licensed the theme for cheap video games, so no reason they wouldn't for a pin. Especially, when you consider that pinball machines are kinda retro to begin with.

#5482 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Layout is also on that platter I think the VP layout is pretty sweet sink hole up the centre of the upside down cool ramps and the Xmas lights, love the red neon highlights those are a must!

Yeah, I can't believe how fully formed the VPX "Stranger Things" pin is. Art, video clips, layout, everything. I spent 2 days getting VPX setup, just so I could play STS. It was worth it though! Stern could easily make this pin if they had the license. Its basically fully formed. I get that they'd probably redo it, but if Stern just made it like this, or close to it, that would be awesome. Only thing I don't like about it, is that the orbits are hard for me to hit, and although the VPX physics are getting better and better, they are still a little lacking for me. Otherwise maybe CGC could make this, cuz the layout is very similar to AFM. Oh last thing, STS actually has a lower playfield that I enjoy, and that makes a lot of sense for the pin's story. And you're not stuck down there for ages like on Munsters. Plus, they do the whole reverse flipper thing, which isn't so bad since its only on the lower PF and the playfield is rotated 180 anyway.

STHINGSPin (resized).jpgSTHINGSPin (resized).jpg
#5500 4 years ago

How about a Godzilla vs. King Kong table, or just a classic Godzilla table? They could even cheap out and just re-theme the old Godzilla table, and add some extras. There are still some new Godzilla movies coming in the US and in Japan.

Quoted from PinMonk:

Well, Trudeau will be released next week, so it could happen.

That's kinda dark man.

#5509 4 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

I’d be all over an original ST. I would imagine getting approvals from all of those actors would be tough... especially Shatner.

Maybe, but a lot of them have passed now, and Shatner has done voice and even video for plenty of Star Trek Video games over the years, so it's not impossible by any stretch. But I"m not sure what the rights issues are for Star Trek character likenesses anyway. With Star Wars, Lucasfilm owns the likeness, not sure about Star Trek.

#5510 4 years ago

Speaking of possible new Sterns, do we have any idea of when the next tables will be announced, or any hint of what the themes will actually be?

1 week later
#5716 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Pokémon would be a great theme, and a safe way to diversify offerings away from Stern's focus on 40-something guys. Of course they would have to offer a version of the code for redemption arcades...

Yeah, and Pokemon would still resonate with us 30-somethings along with the younger crowd!

#5753 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Funny Thing is, they all have Sonic doing random Stuff in the Display...
At leat Sonic did surf and pose with his spikes as a shark in my Baywatch.
I really, really, really would dig Stern making a Sonic game now that the new movie comes into theaters.
Make a Playfield with a lot of loops and go for it!
Heck, Sonic himself was INSPIRED by pinball.

This would be good. The pinballs would have to be blue-colored as well. Just imagine the possibilities!

#5801 4 years ago
Quoted from arcadem:

Not arguing for nor against a "Stranger Things" pinball game. But a lot of people here are hoping for one. I agree it is a great show but damn if I can figure out what such a pinball would look like and what it's modes and rules might include. Can someone please share their concept(s)? Thanks in advance.

Lookup the virtual Stranger Things pinball for visual pinball x. There are several good videos on youtube showing off the gameplay and "video screen." I'd love it if they just made a real-life version of that table, its that good.

1 week later
#5976 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Let’s see...Stern took JP and turned it into a generic dinosaur game.

Well, its a generic dinosaur theme, where you're working at a Dinosaur Theme Park/Zoo, you have to deal with escaped dinosaurs, power outages, collecting DNA from petrified mosquitoes, and Newman saying "Nah, nah, nah!". All while listening to John Williams music everytime you start a game. But sure, its just a generic dinosaur theme.

#6034 4 years ago

For Stranger Things abbreviations, how about STS? Or is STS all ready taken by something else?

1 month later
#6494 4 years ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

DI does get a lot of praise...for the game play. A majority of people just despise the theme, which is what my post was in reference to. I was strictly talking theme. I for one love DI but hate the theme.

Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I‘d even object to this, the „disaster city“ theme is ok but these characters...
Imagine it‘d be a bit more dramatic and your actions more heroicly presented and all‘d be good

I kinda like the theme because it reminds me of Sim City, or at least the parts of Sim City when you respond to disasters. I think the game could easily have been adjusted slightly and given a Sim City theme. You could call it "Sim City: Disaster Response" or something like that.

1 week later
#6623 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I’d agree with this it’s fairy obvious that Disney have zero interest in TRON:Legacy, it’s been dead in their eyes for years.
All the cast and crew from Legacy have been trying to push out a sequel but Disney are simply not interested, especially when they can make 4, 5 or 10x more off a Marvel or Star Wars deal.

Maybe Disney isn't interested in making a film, but Tron is far from a dead brand for them. They've been airing a Tron Legacy-related kids show for years now, and they're building a new Tron roller coaster at Disney World right now. For two movies that didn't make much money, Tron is surprisingly an IP they've invested in quite a bit.

#6645 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

The tron cartoon seems to have been made for one season 8 years ago.
Because they are making a ride doesnt have much to do with with an investment in their assets as much as a theme.
No more than "Remys ratatouille ride."

Ah you're right about the show. They've still been putting clips up on Disney XD's youtube channel. So I assumed they were putting up clips of recent shows.

1 year later
#16277 3 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Didn’t Stern just crack into the Chinese market and have started producing pins there?
Shang-Chi could be a big hit for them there and after just watching the trailer it looks like another MCU Blockbuster! And I wouldn’t mind a modern king-fu themed pin with some MCU sprinkled on top.
https://www.ign.com/videos/shang-chi-and-the-legend-of-the-ten-rings-official-teaser-trailer

People often assume that an "Asian" theme from a Western studio will automatically appeal to the Chinese audience. However, the highest grossing American movies in China are superhero/comic movies like the Marvel MCU films and big blockbusters like the Fast and the Furious series. Movies like the live action Mulan, or Raya and the Last Dragon don't even make a blip over there.

Because the thing is, China all ready makes plenty of their own Chinese-style movies. What they like about American/Western films, is that they are SO different. If they want "Asian" themes, they can get them from Chinese and Hong Kong studios.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/List_of_highest-grossing_films_in_China

#16279 3 years ago

Also, I love Big Trouble in Little China, because....

"Shut up Mr. Burton, the World does not exist for you to "Get it!"

And...
....David Lopan Style!

#16399 3 years ago
Quoted from John0560:

Well their customer base in on Pinside. They are only selling because options are so limited and people break down and buy this crap. Its not what you want, it's what they give you. Cheap crap. It gets cheaper quality and more expensive every release. Copy and paste on a pre designed layout. No sculpted anything, no decent mechs anymore. A blimp. Look at GnR and how much of a masterpiece it is. My old ass DM is built way better than any new stern. It wont change, they need to start taking notes from JJP and Spooky. You can accept crap and you will keep getting crapped on. I know they read this stuff and they know competitors are stepping up the pinball game, hopefully they do the same. Pinball can be so much better people, and it should be for the price. Quit making excuses for them, it doesnt' help the hobby. Instead push for better results, make them earn the lifestyle brand crap they say they are.

Quoted from heyitsjoebob:

This is, in my opinion, where you've got it wrong.
The majority of the contributors to this site are the (loud) minority of people actually buying NIB pinball machines.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

It's been determined previously that about 25% of pinball buyers are on Pinside in some capacity. This conclusion was reached by comparing known quantities of a given title versus registered owners on Pinside, combined with some other math to account for variables, such as people keeping their collections private, ect.

Someone laid it all out in a thread once. And from what I've seen, it seems about right. Pinsiders represent probably the single largest group of buyers in one place, but not even close to a majority of buyers.

#16602 3 years ago

Well, all that is proof of is that JohnnyCrap ISN'T doing art for a Mando pin for Stern. As there's no way they'd allow him to release any Mando-related art prior to the launch of their pin.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dakotamike.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine?tu=dakotamike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.