20240423_100723 (resized).jpg
Whoa (resized).jpg
51AE3C41-1E6E-417B-B0FC-EAF0D317F2BB.gif
vince-neil-is-upset (resized).jpg
Severance (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #33984 Stern's new factory information Posted by Grantman (1 year ago)

Post #36014 TRAILER: Foo Fighters Pin teaser trailer Posted by Yoko2una (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinMonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

1,975 posts in this topic match your search for posts by PinMonk. You are on page 1 of 8.
#157 7 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

The only video game IP currently I think is strong enough to produce a pretty big hit would be Warcraft. Minecraft, Final Fantasy, Call of Duty, etc might be ok.

A big hit like the Warcraft movie? Popular IP is no guarantee of creative success.

That said, there are a TON of Nintendo properties that would probably do excessively well as pins. And if you went the JJP screen route, you could hedge your bets and do a Nintendo All-Stars and have 4 or 5 properties in one pin.

#185 7 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

The next stern pinball machine IS Aerosmith, yuk.

I thought it was funnier that the next pin was Motley Crue, code named Aerosmith.

#196 7 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I heard it's going to be Hello Kitty

That's just a code name for the Kim Kardashian pin.

#223 7 years ago
Quoted from freezie:

I would love to see "a Christmas story" as a pin . Won't happen , but it would be funny!

Ohhhhh Fuuuuuuudddgeeee....would that be a funny pin.

1 month later
#390 7 years ago

I still think they should do a Def Leppard pin, and as you play through their career, you have to switch over to foot pedal control of the flippers. Seriously.

1 week later
#443 7 years ago
Quoted from nman:

Ok, now that that's out of the way, what will be the NEXT Stern pinball machine?

Given that their schedule is destroyed by the playfield clearcoat screw-up that affects all their lines, who knows what the next pin's release might really be? I hope they're using all this extra time to do some extra coding on games that need it.

4 months later
#501 7 years ago
Quoted from Strohz:

Did anybody else notice the Star Wars posters in Jody's Office from the new John's Arcade factory tower near the end? I thought it was telling that almost everything else in his office was tied into something they were working on, and it even had Aerosmith right below it [starts at 1:04:00 in video].

Well, he DID have a My Little Pony drawing on his window, so...Jody a secret Bronie?

He also has a pretty good sized Tie Fighter on his desk...

#505 7 years ago
Quoted from VGC1612:

Stern about Iron Maiden: ''We do not confirm or speculate on potential unreleased titles.'' I would say they are at least in talks or else the answer would have been NO

Considering that they were playing Maiden at their party and there is maiden stuff seen in factory offices AND I've heard this for about the last year, it's as close to a sure bet as we get. The only question is when. Summer still seems too soon, so I'm guessing probably after Star Wars.

#507 7 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Looks like I know what my first NIB pin will be.. of course by then the LE will be $20,000...

I can't imagine Iron Maiden sucking enough for me not to buy it. Of the music pins, probably the only one I really, REALLY want. Given the iconography, the potential is so great.

3 weeks later
#538 7 years ago
Quoted from BrewinBombers:

An intentional tease; the voice at the beginning says: "What is that? Don't say." Some sort of proto I guess since You can't see the typical holes in the lower third.

Holes aren't in the right places for a "normal" playfield. However the row of 5 lights in front of what is a standup bank means you need a 5 word thing. Too soon for Princess "B-R-I-D-E"?

#546 7 years ago

Ah! F-O-R-C-E makes the most sense, but that layout is still seemingly non-functional, so it's probably just a test.

#548 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I am considering a re-theme project at some point this year, has anyone heard if Stern or anyone has mulled over the fast and furious franchise?

As a retheme of what? Mustang?

#553 7 years ago

Maybe the 5 mystery standups on that playfield spell T-R-U-M-P! Wouldn't that be a conversation pin!

1 week later
#564 7 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

I can't see JJP doing Star Wars, BTTF or Pulp Fiction. They are more likely to do The Chipmunks, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang or The Little Prince. They are the best pinball manufacturer out there but their choice of titles just doesn't make me think they really care about what collectors covet. Or maybe they took some risks and just missed the mark, kindof like when DE chose Last Action Hero or when Sega chose Maverick to base games on.
That being said, if JJP announced they were doing BTTF I would send a deposit yesterday.

Star Wars is at Stern and Pulp Fiction at Dutch Pinball, isn't it? I tend to believe the Toy Story at JJP for JJP release #4. That would be an amazing pin. If Stern is really showing Star Wars at comic con, then there's probably not time to squeeze in another pin between Aerosmith and Star Wars, unless it's a Tron VE (or some other vault edition).

4 weeks later
#570 7 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Aerosmith and then?????

Star Wars
Elvira 3 (Boutique line)
Iron Maiden?

I don't think there's time to put something else between Star Wars and Iron Maiden. Seems like this would be the 2017 lineup. Not sure if Stern is making the Attack from Mars remix machines on contract like they did for Medieval Madness. If so that's another machine that will be on the line in their factory (though not their game).

#572 7 years ago
Quoted from ahdelarge:

Would Stern put out two music titles in one year? I suppose there is a game or two in between and Aerosmith should have come out last year.

Ghostbusters PF issues basically ruined almost all of 2016's schedule, then the Aerosmith/Batman'66 switcheroo further confounded things, so I don't think that was the intention, but may be the way it works out.

#583 7 years ago
Quoted from ahdelarge:

Pulp Fiction mentioned on podcast today as possible end of year Stern release.
So...
Star Wars
Elvira 3
Iron Maiden/Pulp Fiction.
And then they go on to question if Star Wars will actually make a May 4 announcement (edit: meaning it will be pushed back).

What podcast was this? Pulp Fiction seems SO much more like a Dutch Pinball or Heighway type machine. I can't see a Stern with that license, and fans of that movie would probably be disappointed if Stern did it. I don't care either way, but it seems so un-Stern (but then again, so does My Little Pony (Bronie?))

#600 7 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Pulp Fiction is a fine film but as a theme for pinball I think its terrible, Deadpool would be far better, JMO

Well, just wait until you see what they do with Sophie's Choice and Schindler's List!

1 month later
#640 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Guardians of the Galaxy seems like a slam dunk. hollywood, comic books, and 70s music. the Stern trifecta.

It's Disney, and Stern has a licensing relationship with them already. I've heard this was on the list of machines coming, but not recently. Hopefully it still is.

#646 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I think there needs to be another Pirates of the Caribbean game made. I've never played the last one that they made but I hear it's not all that great. The theme is awesome and it could really be a cool game if done right. Indiana Jones is another one that deserves a remake, and of course King Kong Skull Island needs to be done and a Planet of the Apes pin that has all the old characters in the original movies.

Then you're in luck - the next JJP is supposed to be Pirates of the Caribbean or Toy Story. I HOPE it's Toy Story, but I have a feeling it's a PotC game. Granted, it will be better than the one we have, but did we really NEED another PotC game so soon?

#648 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I won't buy a JJP game. Not because I think their quality is bad, I just think they price their games too high. Not gonna pay 8-9k for a pin.

You're only punishing yourself. WoZ is awesome and can be had HUO for about the price of a new Premium Stern. Hobbit is "meh" for me. REALLY looking forward to Dialed In, though.

#654 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

No I'm asking if DI is a jam packed as WOF? Not talking about price

Wheel of Fortune? Did you mean WoZ?

1 month later
#675 6 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

I hope it is iron maiden from reading rumors and guesses from people. It would be a must have pin for me.

Just waiting for Iron Maiden...and hoping they got the artist that did their most iconic album covers.

#678 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I heard its hello kitty

Are you sure? My Little Pony (Bronie?) is a lock.

#684 6 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Plz no more hard rock and Marvel.

You're in luck! The next pin is original - Dialed In!

1 month later
#808 6 years ago
Quoted from O-from-DO:

Sorry, but all these neverending rock-theme-releases are really bothering me. If it should be a music-theme, how about Michael Jackson... with the "Billy Jean" Baseline and a strong shaker to "beat it". These tons of hits in one pinball machine would be a "thriller". Could be a nice atmosphere and really heroic to become the "King of Pop" within 3 balls. And no, I am not a MJ fanboy. The license could become a problem anyway. Who actually owns all the rights and for how much money would they be available? Probably not affordable. What a pity. OK... then at least GOTG

The Netflix Stranger Things 2 trailer is an excellent use of Thriller. Top notch. MJ Pin? Maybe, but throw in bizarro modes with Weird Al doing the same songs and you'd have a deal.

1 week later
#813 6 years ago

Japan is pissed.

1 week later
#848 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

If you take a closer look at all the threads from all the machines and manufacturers, you will see that all the manufacturers are having the same or similar issues.

How and how fast they handle the issues is what sets them apart.

#860 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Iron Maiden had been mentioned as an upcoming theme for a while. Franchi had done a lot of Kiss stuff in thge padt, so maybe Iron Maiden?

That would be disappointing. His style is quite different from the most popular Maiden art.

I'm thinking it's the next Kapow title or The Beatles Trudeau pin.

#866 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I thought the rumour is the next Kapow is The Beatles?

Sorry, or=aka.

If Trudeau is on Beatles, I can't see how he's on GotG so soon, and I heard that someone else was doing that one though I can't remember who offhand.

#868 6 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Based on the SDCC I am pumped about Ready Player One - both the movie and the pin that hopefully will flow in late 2018.
Excellent book as well!
» YouTube video

I was just bummed that key elements of the book are completely changed:
1. No Joust game-off - replace with some kind of 3D joust game they're INSIDE with a scorpion?
2. Cool characters like Ultraman are replaced with lesser characters like Iron Giant? (MANY other worse substitutions also)
3. Art3mis is a skinny waif actress.
4. What's the point of that race that's the centerpiece of part of that trailer, but not in the book?

Meh. I was hyped until I saw the trailer.

#874 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I'd heard and seen posted here on Pinside in various threads GOTG is Keith Elwin, Maiden Borg, Kapow Beatles Trudeau, but who really knows other than Stern....

Ah, right. Keith Elwin, I remember now. Isn't GotG supposed to be a modified Archer?

I just hope Borg doesn't recycle KISS/Aerosmith layout for Iron Maiden. Of all the music ones, THAT is the one I want the most, but I already have a KISS LE and not really excited about a third time around for that layout.

I have zero interest in The Beatles as a pin, but if it's some kind of psychedelic WoZ hybrid, maybe?

3 weeks later
#886 6 years ago

I can't imagine this one being successful. CSI and 24 were two of the weakest pins in modern Stern history, and they went with the law enforcement theme. I don't think any large faction is jonesing for another bite at that apple.

#892 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

24 is a great pin.

I'm not saying you can't like it, but I literally walked away from it after playing for 30 minutes on a boring game I couldn't lose. Hated it. And pricing on the secondary market indicates there aren't many fans of it, either.

#946 6 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

This would be a legal nightmare if Stern set aside specific code to allow easy importation of non-licensed music into the pin.

Meh. I dunno. Clocks play whatever music you plug into them. MP3 players do the same. There are plenty of devices that play whatever music you plug into them that don't pay music royalties. All Stern would have to do is pay the MP3/MP4 technology licenses and they'd be covered.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#989 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

As far as Iron Maiden, I just don't get that license. It seems to me that has a very specific audience; teen boys in the 80's who loved the rad artwork and over the top Eddie posters. Well, guess what, we all grew up and, I assume, found better taste in music.

Nostalgia. There a plenty of adult fans of Iron Maiden, too.

#1008 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i hope it doesn't. That GPS looking piece of shit looks forced into the game. Doesn't fit a theme, looks generic. Lame toys all around. it's like Stern isn't even bothering to try anymore. Where is inventive toys like the ship in POTC?

I dunno, Nordman designed games tend to have more interesting toys than Ritchie designs. But Star Wars is a surprising low in the toy department, on a license that should have had the COOLEST Force-powered toys to interact with, not a tie fighter on a spring and a kind of random small LCD on the PF.

#1011 6 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

I heard it's ropp but like I said not sure on the coder.

Ugh. Lonnie??! Way to ensure GotG software will never be fully fleshed out. Hype meter down. I hope you're wrong, mom.

#1015 6 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Borg Lyman is always the 1st choice. Ropp has done some good work with Borg though.

Lonnie ranges from weak to *okay* generally, but he has a reputation for just not finishing off games and leaving them with annoying bugs. KISS has a BUNCH of annoying bugs, few of which were actually addressed in the tiny 1.28->1.30 update that took almost 18 months. Avengers, yuck. Transformers, yuck. Mustang, yuck. Star Trek and Iron Man - actually these are probably his most "finished" machines.

So, Lonnie is kind of a crapshoot with strong negative leanings for blah software, and a likelihood not to "finish" the software off by clearing known bugs. Not exactly my first choice for GotG.

#1025 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

GB is Premium is beautiful
The toys, features, art, theme... it's a slam dunk!
But it plays like a turd (IMO) & pfffft that red DMD is so aged looking.
Hopefully whatever Stern does next is more like Aerosmith: custom molded toys + fantastic art

The flipper gap and ladder progression are the two things that hurt it most. If the gap were less, I could deal with the progression, but it always feels like a chore to play it well, and the bonuses are way out of balance. Crazy thing is, it's the one people are most drawn to in the locations that have it, even though it's the hardest and least noob-friendly.

#1028 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I read early on the JT gap was accidentally doubled
Meaning when working in CAD someone made revision after revision & at one point accidentally applied the gap change two times.
Not sure if that's true but I also think I read of some folks measuring other JT games & confirming this rumor of the gap distance being an error (above & beyond the standard JT increased gap)

I don't doubt it was an error, but whether it was or wasn't, it's locked in at this point. Carrot flippers look wrong, so I wouldn't try to "fix" it with those. All of that said, I would play GB all day long before Batman'66 in its current state.

#1032 6 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

And the tight right ramp entrance...
Never really understood the skillshot either...

The crazy part is you can select the video mode start and if you plunge right, make the shot without even touching the flippers. I start almost every game with 64 million or 128 million ESP video mode points as a result.

I don't think the right ramp is tight, but it is about 1/8" too steep, so a lot of stock rejects. Once I lowered it with a slightly shorter post, that issue was resolved.

#1052 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Then you say AS has the same rules as KISS? I've heard that before. Not sure AS is a more polished KISS based on what I've read tho. I can't judge for myself however since I don't own both games.

Aerosmith doesn't have the same rules as KISS. It has SOME similarities, but it's not the same. However, KISS is still a more complete experience between two VERY similar layouts for now.

#1058 6 years ago

Scoring is more balanced in KISS. More variety of callouts. More sound effects tied to events/switches. Kiss also has more multiball modes (Lovegun, Demon, KISS Army, Heavens on Fire, Rock City) than AS. KISS doesn't have programming issues that consistently affect score like losing time off the clock if you're unlucky enough to hit the scoop on the left and get an extra ball in AS. That animation kills 10 seconds on the clock with no way to bypass it. I also think KISS is harder overall. AS will get there in the end, but who knows when that will be?

The best thing about AS is the Elevator Multiball start. I never bypassed it, even once. Great integration on that. A lot of the other stuff got old.

1 week later
#1065 6 years ago
Quoted from Blacksun:

Surprised there hasn't been any info leaked on this yet... Are they announcing their next game at the expo in two weeks?

There's leaked, and then there's leaked widely.

#1070 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Hasn't Tron been the 2018 VE rumour for a while now? AC/DC & Tron are the only two titles that have been selling over their NIB prices for the last couple years, now AC/DC has been done this year, Tron seems to logical next VE.
Although I would love to see TSPP rerun as a VE.

The used prices on TSPP aren't really in vault territory, though. If they DO vault TSPP, I would love a ROM update that allows you to disable the "D'oh" in the mode where Homer keeps doing it.

#1077 6 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

Only if they convert to spike 2 with all the great graphics on the new display. It will definitely get them a ton of sales. I would buy it to replace mine.

Didn't they have a LotR running on a Spike machine when they were testing? An updated LotR and TSPP would probably sell really well.

4 weeks later
#1176 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Maybe it was to be later, but whatever game Trudeau was working on may have been scrapped/pushed back

Now we know why My Little Pony was in the pipeline...

#1192 6 years ago
Quoted from jefryan:

edenecho, I totally agree with you on this. I say take it a step further and do completely different Eddie/album themes for Pro/PREM/LE. That would be great!

They've already done 75% of the work. Just swap out Groot for Eddie. Leave the hands the same and everything. Done.

#1196 6 years ago
Quoted from MNpinballplayer:

I would to see Weatern theme style pin. Maybe something with Clint Eastwood during his epic spaghetti weaterns
Fist full of dollars
A few dollars more
High plans drifter
Good the bad and ugly
I think that would awesome

Westworld is probably the best bet for a western pin currently. Season 2 supposedly has some of Samurai World in it, which is cool, too. I'd be interested in that licensed pin.

1 month later
#1206 6 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

How about an XMen VE with movie art and callouts, with spinning Magneto disc?
No iceman ramp. No nightcrawler popups.
Sign me up.

With even nice LEs going for $5k or less now, I can't believe the market would support an XMVE.

#1208 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

How about STVE with the OG cast based on the films or the TV show, that gets my top pick followed closely by an Elvis VE based on the early Vegas era.
» YouTube video

Or maybe do a light retheme on the TWD VE coming and make it a zombie Elvis pin.

#1232 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well I don't fully understand it either. Houdini & TBL are for sure boutiques. Alien I would consider one.
I don;t think Spooky is in that group but I have no idea honestly.
Stern didn't "make" Whoa Nellie or PBR, they might have produced/built it but they didn't design it.

I always thought of boutique as low run "specialty" games, which is why Stern can have a "boutique" release within their main lines that sell a lot more.

#1234 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Could be. This term might have evolved as it was sort of a blanket statement for new companies.
Alien, TBL, Full Throttle, PBR, Jetsons, Domonioes, Whoa Nellie are all sure as hell low runs. But you can;t count BM66 can you that is based/desinged by Stern?

That was done with Kapow, and was supposedly a boutique game. It definitely had a low run.

#1236 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Right but it's a Stern game; that;s what's confusing to me. Maybe it just means low run. So WWELE is a boutique game?

Haha. I don't think Stern intended WWE to be a small run, but that turd can't float. I wonder how many LEs are still in a warehouse somewhere...

#1241 6 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Great post, but so depressing(Not really but) Why did JT leave, or ditch the design or whatever??

It was definitely not a planned departure. He was arrested for possessing child porn. His next court date is in Jan 11, 2018.

Court case lookup is here:
https://epay.18thjudicial.org/Clerk/caseNumberSearch.do

Case number is: 2017CF001743

#1243 6 years ago

I just hope Elvira 3 won’t be like dominos or jetsons kind of games, called boutique games. They feels low developed or basic Games.

Batman'66 was technically boutique with Kapow, and extremely delayed software aside, wasn't dominoes or jetsons level basic BoM. I think that team knows they have a lot to live up to to exceed the design of Scared Stiff and are probably working hard to do that.

#1289 6 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Hoping Elwin does Deadpool.

He's already working on Deadmau5.

#1290 6 years ago

It would be HILARIOUS if once you got Over the Rainbow in WoZ, you ended up in The WiZ and had some super-wizard mode to complete the game.

2 weeks later
#1293 6 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Will Stern announce the next title at the CES in January?

I can't imagine it. They have a production dumpster fire with a lot of unfinished games. Why add another so soon? I think TPF is more likely. Since Nordman will be at TPF, might get some Elvira 3 info, too.

2 weeks later
#1332 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Actually this is sounding more possible...

Speaking of delayed, JT's court date was continued AGAIN to 1/18/18.

#1346 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Interesting trend, though I wonder if they'd really only do two "main games" in a year now that their new production facility is fully armed and operational?

Stern clearly still has organizational and operational problems to solve after the move. It's been one issue after another since they moved. They're not out of the woods yet.

#1363 6 years ago
Quoted from mufcmufc:

George Gomez said 3 titles this year earlier today I'm expecting Feb 19th IM announcement

George Gomez talks out of his butt a lot. If you've learned anything in the last 2 years, learn to take nothing he says as gospel.

#1434 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Nobody's saying that about Batman '66 anymore....code updates have been trickling out and more video content added.

But 11 months for alpha code to finally start progressing is very, very bad. I hope that the reason for the Luci vault is really to let the programming teams catch up and put an end to this new Stern trend of shipping games nowhere near ready (BM'66, Star Wars, GotG).

#1436 6 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Isn't the Luci run going to be very small? I bet they make maybe 50-100 tops. Maybe not even that many.
It really shouldn't slow the line down as they are already building the same machine, only differences being some art.
Regardless, 6 months is quite a long time between new machines for Stern.

After Ghostbusters playfield fiasco, they went longer than 6 months. It's not uncommon since they moved to the new factory.

#1437 6 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Isn't the Luci run going to be very small? I bet they make maybe 50-100 tops. Maybe not even that many.

Someone said 200-300? Maybe they were quoting the original run, though.

4 weeks later
#1530 6 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Not the layout, the game time line. IJ4 was put together in 4 months.

Which explains a LOT.

#1531 6 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

If there isn't a readyplayerone pin in our immediate futures, We will have a miss. It is spot on theme.
Like tron was.

Meh. From the trailer, they basically ruined the book. So many misses on display.

#1536 6 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I am a large fan of the book. I am remaining hopeful on the movie but there is just no way certain things could be done to my satisfaction anyways.

Making the Joust duel some kind of 3D VR thing instead of a faceoff on an arcade joust machine is dumb, making his love interest "Hollywood perfect" instead of overweight and flawed is dumb, I understand about the licensing that required the Japanese robot replacements, but it will hurt that scene since Iron Giant makes no sense in context with the Asian competitors. And the car race they invented for the movie will seem tacked on, guaranteed. I can't imagine where it would go to seem like it fits. Was very much looking forward to this until I saw the trailers.

#1546 6 years ago
Quoted from PinSinner:

If you're a fan of the book, then you will be let down by the movie no matter what they do.
I can't think of a movie that is as good as the book it is based on. One of my favourite sci-fi books was Enders Game. Look what they did with that monstrosity of a movie.

That's not always the case. Princess Bride was PERFECTION in its transition from book to the movie screen. It CAN be done.

#1553 6 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

JJP rumored to have that one.

And we are all grateful for that!

#1556 6 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

No Hate,
I think all 500 METLE sold out in 48hrs ?
If executed correctly 700 ? (wild guess )

666, for sure.

Quoted from RA77:

IMDN LE will sell out in the same period. The demand from Europe and Australia will be massive ! Extremely pumped, have been waiting 10 years for this title

It'd be lightning quick if Stern hadn't shot themselves in the foot with PF ghosting issues, then cabinet splitting issues, then general cheaping out, then nowhere close to even 1.0 software at launch. It'll probably still sell out, but Stern isn't doing themselves any favors with one bad move after another.

#1559 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I'm not and not because I don't want JJP building it I don't want it to be built at all. James Bond would be great, Looney Tunes if it has to be kiddie like man the themes that get thrown around here suck most of the time.

Okay, we're all grateful, with the exception of Hazoff, that JJP may have the GnR license.

#1563 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Everyone but Hazoff and jgentry.
Nothing against JJP, I just don't care for another license remake from JJP and I'm not paying $9500 for it.

Then buy the standard. Or wait a few years and get it used for $7500. The DE GnR is just *okay*. A newer take with more toys and much better sound would be great.

#1570 6 years ago
Quoted from DefDumBlindKid:

we’re saying the same thing lol. And a downvote?? Geez, tough crowd this pinside

Another reason I only upvote. I disagree with some posts here but wouldn't downvote them. There's enough negative energy around, so only upvotes from me. I once suggested here that you "earn" downvotes to dole out by upvoting, so if you haven't been positive and supportive, you can't be negative. Still think it would be a good idea.

#1579 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

In 3 years when it comes out they would be closer to 11K based on current pinflation. Granted that might include the LE buckethead topper. Stern would charge an extra $500 for it.

Since JJP has had pins installed at GnR shows for Slash, I bet they're already on it and doubt it's 3 years out. We have Toy Story, possibly late this year, then Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka in mid 2019, then what? Muppets were on the original leaked list, but I can't imagine they're still on it. So maybe GnR late 2019? That's not that far off...

#1593 6 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

It's definitely IM with ZY artwork.
As for playfield, I'm not so sure they're using Archer. Heard Keith is "un-trudeauing" the existing IM layout (remember it was announced long ago JT and ZY were doing another game so that makes sense)
And let's be honest - Modern Stern would not produce a PF like Archer had.

That's a shame. I don't want a brutally fast game with short ball times on a MUSIC pin. Stern, don't make me pass on one of my grail pins.

#1645 6 years ago
Quoted from Midway-Man:

Iron Maiden will be announced in March.

I thought it was Feb 28th?

#1650 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

If it's IMDN and it's coded by Lyman, I'm in no question. If Lonnie is coding it, I'm OUT, won't even consider it.

If Lonnie's still buried by his Guardians of the Galaxy coding mess, I can't imagine he's coding Iron Maiden.

#1653 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

Excellent. Why they let him continue to code games is beyond me. Let him do something he's actually good at.

He's filler as far as I'm concerned.

#1675 6 years ago
Quoted from ptrav1:

Number of people who listen to music - big number
Number of those who listen to Iron Maiden - very small number
Number of those who also play pinball - count them in this thread - extremely small number
Is this a going out of business plan? Or is the intent to do all this work to sell a few hundred games?

Iron Maiden is way more popular than you're giving them credit for, and their IP lends itself to multimedia extremely well.

#1683 6 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

I’m not great with math, but here are about 90,000 reasons you are wrong.

And those aren't WWE fans. Iron Maiden fans have money.

#1705 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I do not think the LE's will sell out. There are plenty of Iron Maiden fans, but they do not spend $8000+ on a pinball machine. Everyone thought the Kiss Army would step up and buy machines, we all know that did not happen. The days of LE's selling out are over. Only LE I see selling out is the super duper limited LE for Beatles from Kapow, because of the hype train.

I think the bigger limiting factor is the recent crappy Stern production issues. Bad playfields, bad cabinets, ridiculous cost cutting on build quality, woefully unfinished software. The LEs will sell out eventually if Stern has solved these issues, but there will be more wait and see than usual.

#1711 6 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

A LE is an collectors item. Why would you put a LE on location?
It's more expensive as well so it's even harder for the game to pay for itself.
There's a reason the pro model exists.

Pro is for non-player route operators that don't care and just want a machine to fill a space and earn. Premium is appreciated by players on a route because it's not stripped to the bone like a pro and has all the features of the LE. We usually only get Premiums on the route I help with (one Pro, and sometimes LEs in trades or something, but usually only Premiums) and in the one place where there's a Pro of the same machine across the street, we KILL it. Once the players found our Premium version, they play that over the Pro because there's no comparison feature-wise if you're a pinball fan.

#1714 6 years ago
Quoted from flamehead:

Nobody really knows the real numbers however I get my information from business insider not from pinside

I think you're confusing US sales with Worldwide sales.

#1717 6 years ago
Quoted from flamehead:

Maiden fans fork out bucks...u2 fans...not so much

I'm all for Iron Maiden and think they're plenty popular, but let's not get carried away. You can ASK for whatever you want on Ebay. Actually SELLING the item is all that matters, and a quick check shows $482 is the highest sales price for a Maiden T on USA ebay recently.

Still U2 Ts sell for less, with a single $180 sale and the rest less than $100. So your general point still stands.

#1719 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Search Ebay completed auctions. Even the vintage ten dollar ones go unsold.
Your two aren't what they sold for, it's what the seller hopes to get.
LTG : )

We think each other's unspoken thoughts. Scary.

#1721 6 years ago
Quoted from flamehead:

Well just to clarify I am the maiden fan that is saying this pin isn’t coming... I hope I’m wrong. My only beef on here is How wrong the people that don’t like maiden or don’t know their songs are about maidens popularity...pray it doesn’t get released or you will eat every anti maiden word you spoke.

Maiden is coming, likely announced in 2 days, so prepare for your penance.

#1728 6 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

I do think it would be an interesting choice for Stern and mark a bit of a departure from previous titles. I think it would be the least mainstream theme they've done

I'd give that title to Sharkey's Shootout. I was like, "buh?"

#1737 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Yeah, Stern sales are up year over year but YOU have it all figured out.
Thanks for your "insight".

If your reading comprehension were better, you'd realize I was talking about LE sales, not general Stern sales. Since there are plenty of recent LEs still hanging around, I seriously doubt LEs are blazing at Stern. Plus all the factors that have pissed LE buyers off are trailing factors to sales, meaning they take a while to show up with lost or delayed future sales.

I_know_a_little_something_about_that (resized).jpgI_know_a_little_something_about_that (resized).jpg

#1741 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

You commented on “recent issues”. “Playfields”, “cabinets”, etc.
Who’s suffering issues right now? Not Stern owners, per the threads I’ve seen.
My reading comprehension is fine.
Your “facts” could use a little work.

No, your comprehension is not good. The progression of my post to your first response demonstrates it, since I was CLEARLY talking about LEs (commonly called a "subset" of total sales units) and you were talking about GENERAL STERN SALES (which is EVERYTHING, and obviously more than just LEs). That's misdirection or bad comprehension. I prefer to give you the benefit of the doubt and call it bad comprehension.

There's still people having problems with Stern cabinets splitting at the front seams from cost-reduced wood and construction. A pretty nice long series with pictures on how to fix it if you're half a world away and not going to bother with an exchange in the Batman'66 thread. Don't be so smug. Those issues still exist if you're keeping up. Not nearly as bad as they were, but still enough to give LE buyers pause. And, giving Stern credit, they worked to satisfy the affected people and didn't chalk any of it up to hand mixed colors or artistic license.

#1742 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I want to pick a side but one guy is from Canada & the other guy likes WOZ

I like the Great White North, too. Is that a double whammy?

#1750 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yeah Baby....this is what im talkin about!

So hoping the artwork is in this ballpark and it ships with at least 1.00 software...

#1753 6 years ago
Quoted from thunderking50:

Yes for art but if not 1.00 software its all good if Lyman is on it !

Nope. Did that with Batman for a year. If it ships with way less than 1.00 (.95? I can let it slide, but no more of this shipping with .60 or .70 and "we'll fix it later" crap), I'll just wait until it's done and check it out then and get one of a zillion other pins there are to choose from this year in the meantime. I want an Iron Maiden, but I will not encourage Stern's bad practices anymore.

#1785 6 years ago
Quoted from StylesBitchly:

Like your list but Data East did Guns 'n Roses already. I just played one the other day LOL!

JJP is supposed to be re-doing it up right. I'll be in line for that one!

#1793 6 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

Don’t tease me. Guns n Roses was my favorite band growing up. I had the Data East game for about 10 years. I would love a modern game. That would make me very happy.

jjPotC Apr/May 2018-> Toy Story (Lawlor) Late 2018 -> Willy Wonka Spring 2019 -> GnR Hardcore Late 2019

I hope Muppets isn't in before GnR, but it's also possibly still in the mix. If it is, the order could also be...

jjPotC Apr/May 2018-> Toy Story (Lawlor) Late 2018 -> Muppets Spring 2019 -> Willy Wonka (Lawlor?) Late 2019 -> GnR Hardcore 2020

1 week later
#1813 6 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Ministry would be the only metal band theme I'd be interested in. Maiden reminds me of Mentos commercials.

This will never happen on its own, but is another band that would benefit from a "Monsters of Metal" type pin that has a handful of popular but not popular-enough metal acts with a concert tour theme. I bet Stern eventually does it.

#1818 6 years ago
Quoted from BagAJellyDonuts:

Put in plenty of jiggle just like the old days.

Just retheme Zingy Bingy, then. Most of that work is done.

#1829 6 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

I don't see how that could make economical sense from a licensing perspective.

With second and third tier metal bands, the licensing would be very cheap. Definitely do-able.

#1831 6 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

But then we're no longer talking about the Monsters of Metal/Masters of Rock...

I'm sorry, I was referring to earnings, not how well-known they are. You can still have known Metal bands that just don't earn like the top level ones. Still would be "Monsters of Metal."

#1848 6 years ago
Quoted from DefDumBlindKid:

Slayer would be so rediculously amazing. I’ll take 3 in LE , please. until then My Walking Dead has been converted to Slayer audio files.
You, good sir, are one of few people on this planet to have ever uttered the words ‘Zeppelin’ and ‘Priest’ in the same sentence. So rare, I am afraid it will trigger the poles to flip.

Poles are in the process of flipping already. So...

#1867 6 years ago

2016 Ghostbusters playfield problems, 2017 Trudeau arrest - both those years did not hit this mark - 2016, especially, was a Stern dumpster fire. They're still struggling to finish the 2016 and 2017 machines they threw out the door with unfinished code. Can they do 3 in 2018 that will sell?

#1869 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Only if one of them is Elvira 3.

With Deeproot taking one of the designers, it sounds like Elvira 3 has either moved to Deeproot or is in trouble at Stern. TPF will be a good indicator - if there's silence, it's not coming in 2018.

#1877 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

That pic is hilarious. Where's it from?
Also, at least according to Wikipedia Stern put out at least three games in 2015 (WrestleMania, Kiss, GOT, plus Whoa Nellie), 2016 (SM Vault, GB, BM 66), and 2017 (Aerosmith, Star Wars, GOTG, plus AC/DC vault). So I wouldn't bet against them doing the same in 2018.

That's 3 cornerstones in 2015, 1 in 2016, and 2 in 2017, but the only way they made that was by dumping BM'66, Star Wars, and GotG out the door with very unfinished code. That I.O.U. stack is building up, and they can't pull that cheat much longer. They need to catch up on code AND get machines with at least 1.0 code out the door. That's a very tall order.

#1879 6 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

True.. but they have hired more developers

I'm not saying they can't right the ship and dig out, but doing 3 cornerstones AND a vault AND digging out seems like a very Gomez-y statement.

#1883 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Perhaps they are referring to their own titles (Vault and New) vs contract/partner games?

Vaults are not cornerstones. Cornerstones are always new non-contract, non-boutique (Kapow, etc) Stern titles.

We already have one Stern boutique pin for 2018. Totally forgot about Supreme (easy to do).

#1887 6 years ago
Quoted from MacLean:

only a couples days to go ... run to the hills!

Fingers crossed double-hard Stern isn't copying layouts and code like the recent music pins. This deserves to be a really awesome, really special effort from top to bottom, including the art package. I REALLY want to own this one at the Premium level, but I won't support a half-assed, code unfinished effort. Those days are over.

#1890 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Batman '66 was not a boutique. It was joint venture to some degree, but not a boutique. It has been made in regular numbers like any other cornerstone.

Batman'66 was DEFINITELY promoted as a boutique pin. It did not have "normal" rollout (no Pro level, Super-LE added).

#1891 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

You don't need to worry about that. All indications are that Keith Elwin's design style isn't like anyone currently working at Stern.

I hear you and hope you're right because I WANT this pin. But with Stern's recent track record of the last few years, I will worry about ALL of it until it's out the doors and into real-life. I will believe nothing Stern says, prints, or promises about future code or upcoming features. I will live in the here and now. The only safe place for a Stern buyer these days.

#1902 6 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

You may think what you want but it's still a normal cornerstone title. (Wich is basically a "new" game you can order from your favorite pinball retailer.)
It's definately not a usual Stern game but then again, it was the 30th anniversary and with JJP expanding to the higher price market, why shouldn't Stern? Batman Premium is still available, not limited, made inside Stern so what exactly is 'boutique' here?
Non-Cornerstone are Vaults and Titles you don't buy via Stern itself and/ or usual retailers like Pabst Blue Ribbon, Supreme, even Spiderman Home in a way.

So now you're redefining Whoa Nellie as NOT a boutique (when it is/was), because you could buy it from Stern and usual retailers? They probably still have some in the warehouse.

http://www.sternpinball.com/games/whoa-nellie/whoa

#1908 6 years ago
Quoted from MacLean:

I'm with you Vireland, I'll be wearing my custom Stern t-shirt at TPF this weekend, just to get the point across

Haha! Waiting for the picture with Gary and you wearing the shirt...

#1924 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Does this mean Deeproot are doing it?

Sure seems like it with Nordman jumping Stern's ship to Deeproot. That'll be interesting.

#1926 6 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

Deeproot does Elvira
Sounds like a weird p.rn flick

Japanese, for sure.

#1938 6 years ago

The dumbest Stern-est seminar setup. All the other ones had the stage and an inset with the other screen. Gomez is talking and pointing at a screen non-stop that's nowhere on the screen. Dumb, but very Stern. All the other manufacturers could manage to do this presentation stage right, but not Stern. Sigh.

#1940 6 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Watch Stern presentation on Sterns Facebook page if you want to see the slides.
https://m.facebook.com/sternpinball/

Thanks. I have that open now, but it's stupid they couldn't manage to inset that like all the manufacturers have.

Some highlights of his speech:
Nice that Brian Eddy is coming on at Stern.

Iron Maiden reveal "maybe in April" and "April, I think."

Elvira 3 will happen, but they need a software engineer to work on it.

They plan on doing another Super LE.

Gomez made a wink-wink reference to a Lord of the Rings vault edition in the process of answering a question about putting LCDs in vaults.

Stern will get more technical information out to end users on Spike 2 node boards to enable better diagnosis and repair in the field.

After talking about how robust and balanced Spike/2 is (SAM and WPC-95 had "growing pains" too!), Gomez immediately segues into saying how fragile Spike/2 power budgets are and that users have damaged theirs by modding them. The irony of this immediate juxtaposition in his talk is apparently lost on him.

Batgirl is coming to Batman'66 code.

#1942 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMagnet:

How do people find out far in advance what the next title is? It seems you guys are right about 99% of the time.

People talk. Alcohol makes them talk more.

#1949 6 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Ok Stern - Then please get one freed up ! Elvira 3 needs to get happening .....

It doesn't sound like this year to me, and Gomez was doing significant verbal acrobatics to come up with the words he used, so it sounds like there are problems. My opinion.

#1951 6 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

after getting my acdc luci ve idgaf about any of the new sterns for 2018. another sle money grab for suckers? live and learn people avoid those like the plague.
spike 2 has power issues and cant handle mods? what a joke.
right now i am looking at spooky tna, alice cooper and chicago gaming revivals.

Definitely give Houdini a look. Very impressive, fun game.

#1963 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

I was there. Didn’t get that impression. He reiterated twice the Elvira 3 will be made.

I didn't say it wouldn't be made AT ALL. I said it doesn't look like this year, based on his answer yesterday. And given that it has no software and no engineer almost 1/3 of the way through 2018, I think that's right. 2019 at the earliest.

#1964 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Lots of industry hires over past six months. Now Brian Eddy. Love it!

Yep, and I hope the pinball market keeps growing. But, sustainability with this growing annual influx of machines is a worry...

#1974 6 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Well, I got scolded for not being "Nice". I hope I didn't offend an admitted troll..

Uh, oh. Broke rule #2, don't talk about being modded.

#1983 6 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

Rule #3 don't ask about the rules

Dunno. Never got to #3. I just know about #1 and #2 firsthand.

#1988 6 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

They have something to worry about if people hold off on buying a Stern for these other titles.

Or if Sterns continue to look even crappier by comparison when small shops like Spooky and AP are even starting to show them up with game features and price and Stern's cost cutting finally starts cutting into actual sales (which I *think* is already happening, but if it isn't, it will).

#1991 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

And this is based on what information, exactly?
Cause last info released from Stern said they were up significantly, year over year.
But hey, I’m sure you have some kind of accurate information and you’re not just spewing hate in a Stern thread, right?

Stern is releasing sales information now? Since when? If you mean the "sales guy" talking, that's as worthless as my speculation.

#1993 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Didn’t Josh say something about Stern revenue being up 30% year over year? Not that you have to believe it, but presumably he was authorized to talk by Stern.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-this-be-true-stern-revenue-up-40-in-2016-and-30-in-2017
I know you’re deeply pissed at Stern these days, but translating that into wishful thinking about their sales numbers is, well, wishful thinking. It may be that the competition will one day eat into their sales. But with them moving into a much larger facility a few years back and now going on a hiring spree, what evidence we do have seems to point in the opposite direction.

Percentages are fantastic for managing reality. If I sell 1 item year one, and 2 items year two, I've had an 100% increase in just one year! That's way more impressive-sounding than saying I sold two items in a year.

Certain terms are also useful for managing perception. "Revenue" doesn't necessarily mean pinball sales alone.

That's fluff-talk, also known as glittering generalities. Salesman talk. Pay it little mind. They have no responsibility to the public to be honest about their financials as they're not a public company.

#2008 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Uhh... no.
Stern shared some info, finally.

And it was one of the most meaningless measures they could have shared. There's a lot of room of obfuscation in there. That's all.

#2016 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Uh, wrong again.
When sales are stated to be up year over year, they are not decreasing "due to poor quality" as you stated.
You never did get back to us on how you came up with your findings.

He didn't say "sales" were up. He said REVENUE was up, right? They're not the same thing. If you don't understand THAT, well...this is already a meaningless exercise, anyway, so it doesn't matter.

#2020 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Revenue was up something like 40%, followed by 30% if I’m not mistaken. Highly unlikely any sales decreased since prices didn’t escalate that much, that fast.
Is that better?
You come in to a Stern thread, making a statement of how “you just know...” that Stern sales are dropping AND that it’s due to their poor quality goods.
Can you please provide an OUNCE of anything useful, backing up your claim?
Cause right now, you’re just some bitter guy on Pinside, spoutin off about how we can’t trust what Stern says.
But somehow your information is accurate?

My information is exactly as accurate as the "revenue" numbers you're positing are somehow an indication of sales in your mind. You don't understand that the terms are NOT interchangeable, clearly. This is an exercise in futility. You can prove nothing, and I can prove nothing. You have worthless percentages that seem to make you feel good, and I have my "feeling". Neither is proof of anything in the real world. There's no use even debating it. The end.

#2024 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Revenue is a DIRECT result of sales. Number of units sold x average sale price = sales revenue.

Clearly YOU don't understand all the things revenue can encompass, either. Revenue INCLUDES SALES, but is often not completely composed of sales. The terms are NOT interchangeable.

Quoted from EricHadley:

You guys probably need a time out. Go sit in your corners for a bit, thx

I'm TRYING to be done with this. It isn't worth continued conversation.

#2028 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

I saw that. Seems odd that they didn't just announce it at TPF.

Probably a licensing issue. Something wasn't approved by TPF and they had to wait. I'm sure they would have preferred to have it at TPF.

#2040 6 years ago

Pfft. This is Stern. There are no pics of the game they're teasing in the teaser.

#2053 6 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

(lots of lame mobile game art)

Terrible 3D art for eddie (and even the environments, actually).

#2076 6 years ago
Quoted from chad:

A specific ocean dweller.

We already had one Godzilla pin that sucked. We don't need two.

#2077 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

And.....beyond that?

Princess Bride is out there somewhere at Stern, too.

3 weeks later
#2160 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Its pretty easy to figure out what Brian Eddy's first game will be, but seems like no idea when it will be released.

And thank god for that. With the JJP Pirates issues, Black Rose 2:Brand New Corset can't get here soon enough. Female pirates, represent!

1 week later
#2168 6 years ago
Quoted from pudealee:

Beatlespinball.com was registered last year. That does make me wonder if somebody has a Beatles pin on their agenda...

That guy's trial is happening this Summer.

#2176 5 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

+1 and a must buy as long as there is an updated Dino mech that eats balls (take the previous JP mech and modernise/advance it) would be awesome to have a magnet hold a ball and the giant water Dino comes out the playfield and wraps around the ball like a Venus flytrap, raptor cage that locks multiple balls and most importantly licensed movie video and audio.

They could use an updated Metallica mech for the ball-eating dino. Have the dino go down to cover the ball with its mouth, then have the ball drop into the playfield subway.

#2186 5 years ago

Come on summer time. I am ready for the Deadpool announcement. I know it is not Borg as he told a friend of mine his next game is coming up in September/October and said he feels it is his best game ever that he created.

Let's just hope Borg actually created a new layout instead of a variant (copied layout, mirrored layout). He's been stuck in a layout rut since at least 2011 - way too long.

#2187 5 years ago

Come on summer time. I am ready for the Deadpool announcement. I know it is not Borg as he told a friend of mine his next game is coming up in September/October and said he feels it is his best game ever that he created.

If Stern HAS to own Princess Bride, I'd be okay with Borg doing it. But I really wish JJP had it.

#2199 5 years ago
Quoted from Wakky:

Does anyone know who is designing and coding the upcoming Bon Jovi pin?

Why are you asking us? You have future pin information.

Or is that more like "Hey kids, you know who's designing the new Bon Jovi pin?" and then you tell us Trudeau.

There's a whole thread about it from the last time you brought this up:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bon-jovi-pin-in-your-future

#2216 5 years ago
Quoted from chet218:

If Deadpool is up next, any thoughts on who the designer will be?

Celine Dion?

2 weeks later
#2262 5 years ago
Quoted from mannymasy:

today i seen deadpool 2 ... I would love stern to produce this machine

You get your wish. Well, at least part of it. Gomez is likely doing it.

#2299 5 years ago

Is it the next or Elvira 3 first?

Elvira 3 is a long time away. Likely after Munsters and Beatles.

#2300 5 years ago

It looks like B66, all is on top of the playfield and 2/3 of the playfield feels empty.

It's Gomez. Lord of the Rings was the last awesome design he did, and that was 15 years ago. Sopranos, Batman, Transformers, Avengers and Batman'66 are all meh to poor designs. Software is saving BM'66 (finally!), but the game shoots clunky. He's had more design misses than hits, even in the Williams/Bally days. As always, hoping the design rut is broken with the next one, but judgment is reserved until delivery.

#2308 5 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I feel like pop ups baddies would be cool in that sparse middle area.
Like MM or XM

More like MM, less like Ghostbusters. If you're doing a pop-up, make it a molded target and not a simple drop target. And two up max. No Hobbit pop-up garden of middle-earthly frustration.

#2310 5 years ago
Quoted from mannymasy:

I would have liked it to be borg

Meh. I'm fine with Borg on Munsters as long as it's an actually NEW design. I like his design work overall much better than Gomez, but these copied and mirrored layouts from him the last 10 years or so are tired.

#2312 5 years ago
Quoted from pudealee:

Still hoping for Beatles one day...

Supposedly still coming, but that is one pin I definitely could not care less about. Just don't see the pintential. At all.

1 week later
#2333 5 years ago
Quoted from gregh43:

Elton John Pinball

The glitter and feathers would make a mess.

Quoted from Budman:

How about an Incredibles pin? Disney would be a pain to work with but could be very cool.

Stern has already done Pirates with Disney, Star Wars is Disney, and most of the Marvel stuff is now Disney too, so no problem there. I would like to see an Incredibles pin, but I'm not sure there's enough of a following.

2 months later
#2352 5 years ago
Quoted from Micky:

Too many RUMOURS in the pipe for 2019 already.

Too many bananas in the tailpipe already

bananas in the tailpipe (resized).jpgbananas in the tailpipe (resized).jpg
#2366 5 years ago
Quoted from VectorGamer:

When's Judas Priest coming out?

Rob Halford's been out for a while. Give the rest of the band time.

#2367 5 years ago
Quoted from VectorGamer:

When's Judas Priest coming out?

But seriously, can you imagine the amount of faux leather, spiked studs, and mirrored surfaces on a Judas Priest machine? It could be a 21st century Centaur, and that's not a bad base to build on.

#2373 5 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Munsters - October/November

Munsters for Halloween makes total sense.

2 weeks later
#2401 5 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

Any pics of the pro? Just thought I’d ask, but I feel like everything is going to phase away soon like the ending of Avengers: Infinity War.
[quoted image]

Kaneda didn't leak the pro pic for some reason (proof of fallibility?), but you can see the tip of the shooter rod on the left side of the premium picture.

1 week later
#2416 5 years ago
Quoted from Blacksun:

Hoping the leaked pics (Munsters) are fallible or improved upon dramatically...

I'm actually fine with both the machines shown. I'm sure the LE pricing will be crazy so that's out, but Premium is more exciting than MBr, IMO.

#2430 5 years ago
Quoted from BentleyBear:

Anything confirmed regarding Jaws or is it just speculation ?

Who cares about Jaws? I want to know when they're going to use the Princess Bride license they locked up. I was hoping it would go to JJP, but that didn't happen...

#2434 5 years ago
Quoted from gregh43:

Guns N Roses ReBoot would be Great

JJP early 2020. Can't wait.

#2437 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I'd be in. So 2022?

Paperflock isn't doing it.

1 month later
#2471 5 years ago

I'm confused by Dwight's blog entry. He's supposed to be on Munsters, but he lists his next pin as 2018 "Gra????" which I have no idea about unless it's Grandpa Munster.

#2473 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Maybe it is Grandpa (and that is the project code name for the Munsters pin?)

I got the possibility of Grandpa Munster, but didn't even think about the code name. That's probably it. And, Dwight still has it as a 2018 game, so there's still hope...

#2474 5 years ago

The Munsters is all that matters.
I hope the announcement is not slipping into next year. I hate knowing this one is on the way. No patience, I'll tell ya. Let's go Stern!!

Still on Dwight's blog as a 2018 game...

#2491 5 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Brian Eddy's machine is supposed to be in the can in Q1 2019 or Q2 2019. Where is his machine in this list?

Jaws, supposedly. Summerish?

#2494 5 years ago
Quoted from gregh43:

Has anyone heard about Stern Releasing a Virtual Pinball? I was told by a local pinball dealer Stern was Producing some. Would be nice you can play all the stern classic pinballs

http://www.sternpinball.com/community/stern-pinball-and-farsight-studios-to-release-new-stern-pinball-arcade-tables-fo

#2508 5 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Munsters for X-mas

Not according to the guy writing the software. He moved it to 2019.

#2510 5 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

So MBLE for x-mas

Not for me. I think it's beautiful and I love the screen and re-done graphics, but can't get over the game being just way too easy. Next stop: Munsters 2019.

#2512 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Or TRON vault would be oh so nice

I was just talking about cornerstones. A vault IS coming, but we don't know which, though Tron is really the only likely true vault, unless it's the long-rumored Spike version of LotR (which I would totally buy).

#2539 5 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Interesting I thought they were done with the SAM DMD vaults...

Dunno, but it's the only vault they have left that can command the kind of money they're asking now.

4 weeks later
#2559 5 years ago
Quoted from mufcmufc:

(Jaws picture)

jaws-ish (resized).jpgjaws-ish (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#2586 5 years ago
Quoted from gregh43:

Would like to see a pinball based on the DragonsLair Arcade.game. from the 80's

Space Ace would be more fun.

#2590 5 years ago
Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

I’m going to throw down the BS card on that one!

Yeah. Louder following? Probably. Bigger? No.

3 weeks later
#2674 5 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Black knights revenge
Black knight returns
Reign of the Black knight
Black knight (tis but a flash wound edition)
Tournament of the Black knight
Challenge of the black knight
Anything sounds better than black knight 3000. It sound like it's a cheesy knight in space/future theme.

Black Knight, Sucka would be an attention-grabbing title and it'd feature a black black knight.
Blackest Knight
Black Knights <--- lots of possibilities when there are more than one of them
Night Knight <--- Kevin Hart SLE mandatory

#2684 5 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

I was playing junk yard recently. Could the time machine knight video mode dated 1999 have been a blacknight 3 idea?

Black Knight:Time Tournament?

I'd be more excited about that concept than just a straight BK3K. Immense amount of interesting and fun possibilities.

#2707 5 years ago
Quoted from bladerunner:

BlackKnight 3000????
What happened to BladeRunner or Mad Max??
Be patient I must be!

Those are licensed properties. The next Steve Ritchie is supposedly unlicensed.

#2729 5 years ago
Quoted from pudealee:

Whatever machine it is, they need to hire Morgan Freeman to do the call outs!

Or that guy that sounds EXACTLY like Morgan Freeman that they hire out for commercials.

#2748 5 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Any ideas what this could be? I googled purple martin. It's a bird.
[quoted image]

I'm guessing Primus. It was around that time.

#2763 5 years ago

A-one, and a-two, and...no, no that would be terrible. I'm out on that.

#2784 5 years ago
Quoted from dondon4720:

I think Voltron would make a fantastic pin, the new series or the old series would be really awesome, the different lions could be collected for voltron multiball or wizard mode or something

Voltron rights are a disaster. There's an ongoing feud between the Japanese owner and the US licensee. Seems the Japanese accidentally gave the US a perpetual license way back when and the Japanese company is trying to nullify it. No one sane should wade into that battle.

#2789 5 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

My only concern with Jaws would be how "Graphic" the art, modes and scenes are. I don't want rated G. If Stern must continue with G rating games I hope they consider ADULT settings Please

Iron Maiden has eddie ripping an extra ball out of his bloody chest and splattering the screen. I don't think that will be a problem. You can turn it down in settings on Iron Maiden, as I'm sure you'll be able to on Jaws, too.

#2795 5 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

It doesnt have to follow the Munsters and batman 66 by having mostly stock footage. Maybe they pepper in original animations harking back to dmd days. They did a good job on iron maiden and deadpool so far

Munsters pinball used 3D CG to create munsters scenes that never existed in the series. It's not pretty, but they did it.

3 weeks later
#2842 5 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

The King will be there and hopefully name and show a sneak peek of his next title.
I can't wait for Steve's thread to fire up over his next title

Yeah, I think that is happening. I hope it's something more creatively-named than BK3000.

Maybe "Black Knight:As Designed"?

#2845 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm hoping it's
Black Knight: None More Black

Black Knight: Matters

#2856 5 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

The King will be there and hopefully name and show a sneak peek of his next title.
I can't wait for Steve's thread to fire up over his next title

Black Knight:Always Bet on Red?

#2862 5 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Well the one tibit of secret news revealed by Steve at TPF was that his next game will have 62 plastics as opposed to 40 regularly, so it sounds like the table will be packed.

I thought it was funny that he called it a "trainwreck" (2:06:30). Not something for the Black Knight game flyer, I assume.

From the context of that statement, most of those plastics are ball trap blocks, not screened art.

#2890 5 years ago

"Black Knight:Sword of Rage"? WAAAAY too wordy. Does not roll off the tongue. Naming fail.

I liked "Black Knight:Unleashed" much better.

Looking forward to seeing the game, though.

#2893 5 years ago

"Black Knight:Sword of Rage" sounds like a movie title.

Swords of Fury rename, essentially.

#2905 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

GOT Vault. I always found it strange how a pin can be made while the series is still going on (I wish I had TWD with Negan)!... GOT wraps up soon. We will know who sits on the iron throne and have a completed storyline to build the pin around.
(I’m only talking out of my ass; I have no idea)!

I don't see it, the use machine value isn't high enough to make a vault work for GoT. I'd LOVE to have updated software to fix the significant bugs and update the storylines, but doubt it's happening.

#2911 5 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Has anyone watch this? Could be a good time for a crew pin..

Pretty much total crap. Plays like Jackass:Motley Crue edition with a bunch of vignettes from their career played out, but not connected with any kind of cohesion. Also, casting of Mick Mars is pretty much totally wrong. They keep calling him old man, but he's about the same age as the other guys. There's so much in the book, this should have been a mini-series with a better writer and director and with more clout to resist the band's effort to sanitize parts of their history (and the book) to remove things like the group rape that happened that Sixx now denies (https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/nikki-sixx-rape-story-motley-crue-memoir-the-dirt-803217/) . They're so pressed to pack stuff in that they completely skip the Tommy Lee Pamela Anderson years and only cover Heather Locklear superficially.

Read the book. It's better.

#2913 5 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Thanks for the update and bummer. I was hoping it would be ok. I am going to try and watch it tonight if I don’t fall asleep.

There are a couple funny parts, but it needed a much better editor and better material from the writer/director for him to edit. The casting was pretty bad except for the Tommy Lee guy. When Machine Gun Kelly is getting destroyed by the 6 year-old actress that plays his daughter, then Machine Gun Kelly is a bad actor. The little girl destroys him in the scenes they share.

#2916 5 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

And I am sure they glossed over the fact Vince Neil killed the drummer from Hanoi Rocks and permantly paralyzed 2 other people. He got 30 days in jail. The victims? Life sentences. Sorry to be a downer lol.

No, since Sixx didn't do that it was one of the "centerpieces" of the show with the crash and the jail and Vince's terribly-acted emoting when he comes back to the studio. But again, since all the scenes play out like bulletpoint vignettes with zero character development, Razzle is just some dude that got a BJ at the table with Crue groupies in the scene before. There's little context to make you care about these people that come in and out. Nikki Sixx was CLEARLY driving the train since he gets more time than anyone else, starting from when he was like 12. He also has the aforementioned sanitization of the group rape he talked about in the book.

#2918 5 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Got yea. After I posted I see that it was part of the film, since Sixx wasn't the criminal, it helps the narrative about being the bad boys of rock. Even reading(Yea no internet, just Karrang!!!) as a 14 year old in 1984 I knew this was messed up. It is Sixxs band after all..

It would be nice if they had another crack at the book withough Sixx so deeply involved in the book adaptation and make it a miniseries. It'd do the book a lot more justice. The movie did the band no favors, that's for sure. It was just too hamfisted in its delivery. Using the Jackass director was a clear mistake.

#2967 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Keep hearing rumblings of a LOTR Vault...I don’t see it, but you never know.

Gomez needs the love again after almost two decades of meh as a designer, and Stern smells the pile of money that is stacked up waiting to be unleashed once people see a color high-res Spike LotR with native shaker support and lose their minds.

People that own the original will be in line, new pinheads will be in line, old pinheads will be in line, Joe Balcer will be in line, Jack Jack Guarnieri will be in line, Trudeau will be on the prison digital commissary menu trying to find a way to preorder one - pretty much everyone will want one.

There's tremendous pent-up demand when even *okay* LotR LEs are going for $7000 and nice ones $8000-$10,000. A color Spike LotR with shaker motor support and higher res graphics would compete directly with the old LEs and kill their premium asking prices.

The hardest part about the whole deal is re-doing all the graphics in hi-res and adjusting the aspect ratio, but it's really no big deal if you look at what's there. As long as Stern doesn't cost-reduce by removing features, they'll sell a TON. It will easily be their best-selling Vault to date by a good margin.

#2971 5 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Tron with LCD might be more attractive than LOTR at least for me.

TRON VE would sell a fraction of what a Spike LotR vault would sell.

#3006 5 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

I'm still hoping to see
-Queen
-Back to the Future
-Bill and Ted
-Batman animated series (not Batman '66 reskin)
-original space theme
I don't expect to see Batman anytime soon

Time Bandits to go with the reboot could have real possibilities.

#3021 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Stern sells more games, and has more customers, as they have been around forever and have the ability to do so. So when a stern game wins the popularity contest vote, that really isn't an achievement...

Especially when that pin was substantially designed before Stern bought it. That's why it feels so different - it's essentially not a Stern carbon copy factory pin.

#3032 5 years ago
Quoted from Wakky:

Really? So why did it win so many awards and had one of the biggest box office sales of all time ?

Best use of theatre 3D, right place, right time. I doubt the sequels hit that same level. It's been too long.

#3034 5 years ago
Quoted from BigT:

The problem with Avatar is that it is a re-skin of “Dances with Wolves”. They both won awards based on the same story. I am very interested on how the sequels are going to expand on the story.

Having seen it again recently, Dances with Wolves is a WAY better movie.

#3039 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Only a fool bets against Cameron.

Three words. Alita:Battle Angel.

#3042 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Not directed by James Cameron.

His name's all over it, and he has the lead writing credit (which is really more like an adaptation credit), which is enough to indict him. It's clearly his baby, and it sucks.

#3083 5 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

The moderators where on me within 2 minutes for that? Lol, what a joke.

First rule of moderated club is don't talk about moderated club.

#3089 5 years ago

I think Elvira 3 is next. Maybe a vault before that.

I would think Elvira would be closer to Halloween...

#3092 5 years ago

Do you think there will be another cornerstone game before Elvira3?

That or a vault. Hearing nothing about TRON, so maybe it's the long-awaited LotR Spike Edition Vault so Stern can have a banner year and blow the doors off sales?

#3105 5 years ago
Quoted from Wakky:

It's not. Just another pin side rumour ...

Speaking of which, where's the Bon Jovi pin you threw into the pinside rumor mill?

1 week later
#3115 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Yes. Same answer as above you.
Again: "Podcast Insider" word is next Vault is neither LotR or Tron but still a popular game.
So I'd say GoT because of that,... like multiple times the last page.

GoT resale on the secondary market isn't high enough to make sense as a Vault, unless there is a massive code update, which I doubt (we'll be lucky to get bugfixes). Plus, the series will be over by the time they announce the next Vault.

#3119 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

But Star Trek was?
Stern isn't CGC.
GoT Pro are mostly sold out and used one sell pretty close to NIB price (at least in europe) and the series is still running, so why not do another batch?
There's no risk in this.

Because by the time they release a vault after Black Knight:SR, GoT will not be running, it will be completely over. That and used prices are not that great, nowhere near what they want for a vault, and the game software is 4 seasons behind.

#3125 5 years ago
Quoted from ahdelarge:

The art doesn't grab me and the DMD video clip animations hurt my eyes.

Yeah, with all the badly digitized video it pretty much demands a colorDMD, which is a huge improvement on GoT.

1 week later
#3145 4 years ago
Quoted from volkdrive:

If it’s a music pin, Motley Crüe would be great. I’m not a super fan, but enjoy the music. It’s fast, fits pinball. Have ramps go up each side to lock balls into Tommy’s drums and then it turns and you hit the lock bar fire button to launch them. Have another multiball in the play field with a magnet centering the pentagram from Shout at the Devil. Flames behind the back like Black Knight. Press the start button and “in the beginning” plays. Could be wild

Yeah, but the drum mech would keep jamming on the tracks.

2 weeks later
#3171 4 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Lets keep the metal train going!
[quoted image]

Nah, just do a Spinal Tap pin. So many comedic possibilities and quotes. License would be dirt cheap, and I bet you could get legit metal acts to contribute music cheap to be part of a new Spinal Tap project.

#3179 4 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

I'm talking to the guy who everyone says you need to talk to,
Chas. He admits that there is a problem, claims that he wants
to
help, but also says that the request keeps getting denied by
the
"quality managers" and there's nothing that he can do. He
won't
even reply to my messages anymore. Neither will nitro
pinball, the
distro.
Nobody thinks it will happen to them, until it does. That's why
I will continue to post my experience in threads like these.
So
that people can see the real Stern.
If you have an email for David carver I will be happy to give it
a shot.

Wow, that's a real bad advertisement for Nitro pinball / @flipperfreak. Talk about not standing behind a sale. This isn't some bitchy nit-picky complaint, but a CLEAR problem with a warped playfield. This is the time when a quality destributor to support your claim is most needed and they bailed.

Ouch. Santa's naughty list got a little longer and no one should be considering Nitro for a pin until they stand up for this clearly screwed-over customer who's been WAY more patient than they had any right to be.

#3186 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

This is the first time I have ever heard anyone say a bad word about Tommy. I think the decades of him being known as a legend in the pinball community will balance out a single complaint on pinside.

You're golden until you're not. Bailing on a customer with this clear of a problem is bad form for ANY distributor, period. If he's as awesome as you say, he'll get it fixed. Destruction is much easier than construction, and I can see this being a pretty good reputation destructor.

I'm rooting for FlipperFreak to do the right thing here, just like I believe we all are. Hopefully he does.

#3188 4 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Interesting do you have any Photos? Sorry to hear..

He posted some a while back. Check the gallery.

EDIT: Oops, it was actually in the Iron Maiden club thread here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/up-the-irons-the-iron-maiden-pinball-official-owners-club/page/82#post-4895427

#3193 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

That’s freakin terrible. That left the factory like that. Oh boy. Makes me a tad nervous about a nib. I was possibly buying a Deadpool premium very soon from Automated Services.
That playfield should be replaced not a question.
Sorry for real, I am sure this has even stressed you out

It's not my machine, I was just supporting the other pinsider that was saying it's ridiculous that neither Stern nor Nitro Pinball will back him and get this CLEAR PRODUCTION PROBLEM FIXED. Especially unbelievable that Nitro Pinball / @flipperfreak, his distributor, thinks blowing this off and not communicating at all is a good idea for his reputation or future business.

I wouldn't worry about Automated. Mike does a lot of volume and I've never had a problem with him. Plus, MASSIVE problems like the warped playfield on a NIB pin are actually pretty rare, and most get handled by reputable distributors. Hopefully this will, too.

Buy your Deadpool Prem with confidence. It's a GREAT pin these days.

#3197 4 years ago
Quoted from SMI3:

Next Stern
[quoted image]

With a SAM system cabinet? Unlikely. That mockup isn't even SPIKE.

#3200 4 years ago
Quoted from misfitdart:

You're sure slamming Nitro as much as you can in each post considering it's not your deal, I, as well as MANY others have had nothing but stellar transactions from Tommy and the class act that is Nitro Pinball.

Did you LOOK at the pictures of the problem? It's bad.

Until/unless Nitro reveals some detail that completely changes the story on the posted PHOTOS of a badly WARPED playfield that HE WON'T STAND BEHIND OR he makes sure it gets FIXED, yeah, sure. I'll dog him whenever his name comes up. I've never dealt with him, but I'd never deal with any distributor that ghosted a customer who paid good money for a bad machine. And if it was a distributor I DID deal with that did this to another customer I know about, I sure as hell would get on the line with them and make it known that it needs to be addressed or I'm done dealing with them. Let's call it Pinball NATO. A ghosting of one of us is a ghosting of all of us - because this could happen to anyone at any time if a "stellar" distributor like FlipperFreak pulled this. This isn't a week or a month of hassle - it's over THREE MONTHS of Stern denying and Nitro ghosting. That's crazy for a factory problem this obvious.

Nitro's in my "shameful" file until I hear he took care of this clearly warped playfield or there's some additional information that makes him NOT taking care of this make sense (though I have no idea what that could possibly be).

#3202 4 years ago
Quoted from misfitdart:

It's not your machine and it has ZERO to do with you, Nitro does not have to post on any forum regarding the dealings between THEM and THIER customers regardless of YOU wanting to know you results. If you've no dog in the fight maybe just keep your negative comments to yourself unless it pertains to you, just my .02.

You may be a "none of my business" guy when there's a mugging or robbery or abuse. I'm not. There's a clear problem. Nitro hasn't handled it in almost 4 months and is ignoring the customer who has been RIDICULOUSLY patient. That's not "stellar" distributor behavior, and I'll call that nonsense out regardless of who the distributor is whenever their name comes up. Fair is fair, and I don't stand for unfair, even if it's not to me personally. It's a choice. You make the choice that you can live with, and I'll make mine.

#3214 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Who was your Distro?
Give him some props here.

Exactly. Give the good distributors that are there for the good and the bad some shout-outs.

#3215 4 years ago
Quoted from FlipperFreak:

Ken Lapoint you are simply bad for pinball and this community. We quoted you a price based on the CDN dollar at the time. You then threatened Adam at P1 in Toronto to match it after the dollar dropped by telling him you would trash him on Pinside. When he wouldn't concede you came back to us and demanded we do the same and also threatened us as well. We work very hard for this community and our customers and ultimately honored the old quote and lost money. We even had to secure the pin from P1 as you were impatient and started making negative posts. Then almost a year later you contact us about your playfield (only after Stern decides it doesn't require replacement) looking for help. I'm sorry Ken, but had we known about your reputation in Ontario beforehand we would have simply avoided the sale.

Hindsight is 20/20, and I would agree that walking away from the transaction before any money changed hands would have been the best course of action, but since you made the sale, and the issue is VERY CLEAR and VERY BAD from the pictures, aren't you on the hook to make sure it gets handled? It's not like you have to sell to him ever again, but at least your reputation is preserved.

Sometimes I do pin repair for people I don't know that were referred to me. If I talk to them and get the vibe that the person is needy or demanding or unreasonable I just quote a very high price that they usually don't take, which is great. If they do take it, I'm compensated for the hassle to come.

Thanks for at least posting your side of it and clearing up why you're reluctant to deal with a bad customer again, even on something that should clearly be warranty. Hopefully Maken has learned something in this as well.

#3225 4 years ago
Quoted from FlipperFreak:

We did in fact speak with Stern as we have been successful in replacing many playfields for customers and always go to bat regardless of the circumstances. In the end, Stern has chosen not to approve this one.

Okay, but as a distributor, you have to know that is a BAD playfield - you've seen enough to know good and bad. Why did Stern say it wasn't? It makes no sense unless they said it was because it took too long to manifest. I'm assuming the warp wasn't there day one and only became obvious once the wood dried more.

#3226 4 years ago
Quoted from misfitdart:

Hmmmm me thinks that there should be a public apology from you to Nitro!! Slagging a reputable distributor based upon others misinformation on a transaction that has NOTHING to do with you. Stern is saying no to the warranty, NOT TOMMY, so why should he be held responsible?? Next time gather the facts justice league....

The pain-in-the-ass angle complicates things, but I hope Nitro has resolved not to sell to customers that are breaking his balls presale because that doesn't get any better. And I hope that Maken has learned that if you break people's balls, you're not going to have them tripping over themselves to give you support if things go south. I'd like to know why it took so long to report it, too.

#3233 4 years ago

So is it still consensus that the next Stern is the Brian Eddy one? The amount of development time seems to indicate he's next up. Announcement in July?

#3235 4 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Excited for a Brian Eddy pin. I just hope he is working on a better theme than Jurassic Park! That sounds like a missed match to me.

Yeah, it seems like a weird title fit for him. He has a sterling record so far, so hopefully the bean counters at Stern don't press him too hard to scale back his design.

#3243 4 years ago
Quoted from misfitdart:

I agree also "vireland" still hasn't apologized

Look, I made it pretty clear. Knowing more of what happened now, I'm content to leave it alone and not hassle Nitro any further about their support as we're in a gray area rather than the initial presentation of black and white. I've taken money for jobs/customers I regretted, but I serviced my way out of them and just never dealt with them again. So my personal opinion is he's on the hook to get the VERY CLEAR problem taken care of since he took the money and became his distributor. But now I certainly understand why Nitro may not want to, given everything else that's been added to the picture, and am way less hardcore on the support mandate. So, c'est la vie.

#3245 4 years ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

Guys, open a different thread on the warped playfield, bad customer satisfaction, Tommy, or whatever. But keep on-topic here.
What will be the next Stern pinball??
@moderator: please moderate this thread.

Likely to be Brian Eddy's pin, then Elvira 3 after that. Lyman's been super low-profile lately, so I'm assuming he's buried in Elvira 3 code, which is a good sign.

#3249 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Great. I guess I can expect to see a few dozen posts in this thread this weekend. None of which will have anything to do with Sterns next pin.
I think another return to Scifi Brian Eddy would be great. Still hoping for some f my dream titles or a nice Tron vault given the Spiderman treatment.

Yeah, I'm really hoping Eddy's pin isn't Jurassic World. But one thing The Shadow taught me is theme doesn't make a great pin. It helps, but the code and design are where it's at, regardless of the theme. Brian's got a sterling record, so I'm hoping it continues...

#3250 4 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Is Elvira 3 been confirmed one version or multiple versions that what I really want to know

I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere, but we're likely getting the usual Stern multiples. I just hope it's not another Batman'66 (bad) or Beatles (worse) situation. Just a straight Pro/Prem/LE and we're good.

#3257 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Distrib told my bar owner friend that Elvira would be around August....

If that's true, then Brian Eddy's pin is now the end of the year? That seems weird. Elvira seems like a much better fit for Pinball Expo in October.

#3261 4 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Two ways to look at that. One is announcing in October along with all the Halloween activity.
Another would be to announce in say late August and have all three models up and running on the line (not just Pros) for the month of October when people are in the mood to buy something with a spooky theme.

But if that's the case, Eddy's game is now the very end of the year or 1Q 2020. Boo.

#3273 4 years ago
Quoted from aerobert:

So any rumors about a Lord of the Rings vault edition?

It's around. I don't know why Stern is taking so long though. It will obliterate sales numbers on all other vaults because of the jankiness of the original LotR that Spike will fix (and the addition of color and shaker support). It would be great (althought probably too much to ask) if they had the playfield redrawn like Spiderman Vault to have actual ART instead of a photoshop collage. But even without that, it has huge potential for sales. Probably would eclipse sales of some of the first-run games, too.

#3277 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Maybe they are going full lcd with it? I’m interested either way but upgraded sound and full lcd would be incredible.

Since it's Spike, they'll have to moderately re-do the graphics due to the changed aspect ratio, but they're not that complicated so I can't imagine it's that big a deal unless they re-do scenes or add video from the movie (unnecessary IMO). But, the list of things that will be upgraded compared to the original release just by updating to Spike is very attractive (color screen, shaker support, much better sound, end to flipper fade, etc) and will make it a must-buy for a lot of people (me included). If they re-did the playfield like Spiderman Vault that would just be icing on the cake.

1 week later
#3341 4 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

I’m with you. The next pin rumors are uninspiring to me. The only thing that may convince me to purchase Stern NIB at all would be a Munsters or GB re-work. Otherwise, I’m waiting for a later run Wonka LE.

Brian. Eddy. That name should make anyone give serious consideration to any Stern pin with his name on it. I'm not psyched that it might be Jurassic World, but the man hasn't made a bad pin and HAS made a handful of all-time classics. Interested to see what he does with Stern next.

#3344 4 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

Very true. I might buy a Tele Tubby theme if Brian was in on it!

I wouldn't say no to that if he did it. I watched a LOT of that show when my kids were small. Very relaxing for naptime.

#3347 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

That show is creepy.

If you were a baby, toddler, or parent needing a break, it was AMAZING. I am forever indebted to teletubbies.

#3349 4 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

Gave me flu like symptoms watching it with my toddler every morning at 6AM on PBS .... but he liked it.

It came on in the afternoon here, which was perfect for a calm-down into naptime.

That said, I would never want a Teletubbies pin. For the record.

#3355 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

They don't get the space filled that they have now.

Exactly. Some of the regular Sterns look barren these days. Adding more surface area would make that WORSE.

1 week later
#3393 4 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

So does The Beatles not count with the Gold/Platinum/Diamond version? Different art packages, trim, etc. It's just like Batman 66, or is that not a "cornerstone" either because reasons

The Beatles "versions" were basically trim. They weren't like Pro/Prem/LE where the games actually have more stuff the higher up you go.

#3395 4 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

So just like Batman 66...

No. Batman'66 actually had differences the higher you went. Topper, powder coating, art blades, toys, Batman integrating SLE buyer names into the game, etc. Beatles had nothing of actual value, just different colors. It was a money grab aping the action figure/trading card case-based artificial rarity model. Thank god it didn't work.

#3397 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Reason being "definition".
B66 &amp; Beatles are Ka-Pow and are no usual on location games, namely the Pro Model.
Yes I know there are a lot of cool pinball Bars with LE models all over the place but here I've never seen something else then a Pro on location.

We had an SLE on the route I help with. You need to find better locations.

#3403 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Or Jaws 3, with Bess Armstrong, Dennis Quaid and Louis Gossett Jr. and HILARIOUS 3-D effects

They should have gone with the original title of "JAWS 3, People 0" and done the comedy they wanted to. The 3D version was just trash.

#3412 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

That's not how you spell Sean Connery

Yeah, missing P, O, S wife beater.

#3415 4 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

If they did a Bond they could really make some cool Artwork on the cab, loads of movies + soundtracks to choose from:
[quoted image][quoted image]

Well, Goldeneye did happen and it wasn't good. A lot can go wrong.

#3426 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Unfortunately there is a whole generation that thinks Goldeneye is the best Bond movie. I blame Nintendo for this.

Well N64 Goldeneye is another conversation. That game is responsible for us shipping a game months late. We couldn't stop playing the multiplayer.

#3434 4 years ago
Quoted from Dragon:

Original themed pinball can be good too
https://suncoastpinball.com/
i like the hand drawn art

The art is great, but the pin...is not. Needed a bunch more whitewoods.

#3436 4 years ago
Quoted from Dragon:

yeah the video i saw is with no pinball sounds wow pretty blase
here is the super imposed audio excitement clip
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv-y_oiFgxF/

That's basically a sizzle reel with no gameplay. They're obfuscating the fact that the machine is a bore by using quick cuts and almost no actual play and sounds of the machine. I don't think it's fixable in software, but we'll see.

#3439 4 years ago
Quoted from Dragon:

sterns last 2 original themes were can crusher and nelly how does cosmic carnival compare ? are they all just pretty much minimal features

Not an equal comparison. Neither were "original" games. Can Crusher was a license made from the Whoa Nellie game, which was a modified version of the Continental Cafe EM game from the 1950s. Neither was considered a "mainstream" Stern release. Both niche titles on a niche platform.

#3448 4 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

A lot of that is largely that Konami has been winding down their video game divisions in favor of their more profitable pachinko business.

Slot machines. Konami has pachinko, but they are laser focused on slot machines because of the non-niche appeal and fountain of money that comes with a hit. Makes video games look like chump change, and a lot less work.

#3452 4 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Something about a Jaws pin just pulls you in..

Not everyone. I hope it's NOT Jaws. Give me something from the Ben Heck 90's license collection.

#3457 4 years ago
Quoted from Dragon:

give me an example of what would be in the ben heck 90's collection?
I saw AMW in google search is there others ?

Some of these are right before or right after the 1990's but basically in that block:

Big Trouble in Little China (<----#1 pick for me)
Bill & Ted
The Matrix
True Lies (forget Bond, do this)
The Mask
Groundhog Day (The POTENTIAL!)
The Fifth Element
Edward Scissorhands
Men in Black (the first 3, not the abortion of a reboot)
Animated Aladdin
and on and on and on...

Just tons of great movie properties if they're going the licensed route. But also do at least one huge video game property from that era, too. Final Fantasy VII, Crash Bandicoot, Tomba, Twisted Metal:Black, Kirby, Zelda, Tingle, A better Super Mario?, etc, etc.

#3460 4 years ago

Castlevania has been my wish for a long long time. I think Ninja Gaiden would work too. Maiden was my wish and it happened. I started a few threads about it and knew it would be a hit as some disagreed. Sure the Archer layout helped but it’s a hit. Castlevania could be the new Horror pin unless Elvira 3 knocks it out of the park.

Castlevania would be awesome. Not so sure about Ninja Gaiden. Maybe a Metal Gear pin? Lots of source material.

#3463 4 years ago
Quoted from HeadNZ:

Bladerunner.

Or the video game ripoff of it Kojima did, Snatcher.

#3464 4 years ago

Castlevania would work as horror for a pin I know. Just always think of both those games as my favorite NES franchise games. I still have not pasted all of them. Loved the music.

Castlevania doesn't have to be horror, it can just be gothic like the 80s and 90s games. I think that approach would have wider appeal. But yeah, a Rondo of Blood era Castlevania with good animations and a large castle to explore would be a really cool pin.

#3467 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Why stop there, as I wrote in Another thread, world of warcraft or civilization?
Great music allready made. Progression, wizard modes etc. The complexity is all there.
Old Bond themes isn't going to engage younger people, and tits and ass, probebly isn't very popular in a home environment, which seems to be a growing location for new pins.

The Witcher would be a boss pin theme, too. Hopefully the netflix show doesn't mess up the property too much.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
New Cumberland, PA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
1,975 posts in this topic match your search for posts by PinMonk. You are on page 1 of 8.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinMonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine?tu=PinMonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.