dad_lg-min (resized).jpg
E497E3E8-872D-4DC9-B95B-17AFBD94F4D0 (resized).jpeg
23DC2D2F-A90E-4CA2-98A1-F19762374E3D (resized).jpeg
FDD39C64-5E43-4A2A-80EF-54E82F1F62E3 (resized).jpeg
Keanu (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #33984 Stern's new factory information Posted by Grantman (1 year ago)

Post #36014 TRAILER: Foo Fighters Pin teaser trailer Posted by Yoko2una (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PanzerFreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#518 7 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

I know I will take some heat for this post but I truly believe JJP would be better off with the next Star Wars Game!!!

Absolutely. It would take them longer but only because there would be far more features in the game, a much deeper and unique ruleset, and less QC issues. Sadly that won't be the case. I just hope SW isn't another Stern rush job. Haste makes waste.

Stern can put out as many dream themes of mine as they want but I won't buy them as long as they continue to have QC issues, take forever with code, don't offer unique and deep rulesets on a consistent basis, and continue to strip down games all while having the nerve to keep raising prices. More and more people are thinking the same way.

#526 7 years ago

If Stern is making Star Wars I wonder how they will handle the games license and ruleset. Do they go cheap and get none of the actors likeness and / or voice rights like TWD? If so I would say "I've got a bad feeling about this", lol.

Hopefully the game has a story based ruleset where you progress through events in the films versus generic type modes. It would be awesome for each film, 1 to 7 let's say, to each have 3-5 modes with a mini wizard mode for each and a trilogy multiball for both the original and prequel trilogy.

Sadly I don't see Stern spending the time to create a unique and deep ruleset like above and instead we may get "hit ramps to kill womp rats" and "super Ewok bumpers" type modes with TWD announcer guy doing callouts...lol.

2 years later
#3844 4 years ago
Quoted from epotech:

Star Wars Home Edition apparently.

Isn't that already Star Wars Pro?

#4048 4 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

What a disappointment. A used Star Wars pro is 4200-4500, there is literally no reason for anyone to consider a Star Wars home version.

Star Wars Pro HUO prices seem to be hovering between $4800 - $5200. Maybe the rumored "The Pin" Star Wars game will be in the $3k range. Not sure how much more they could strip that game down though...

6 months later
#6700 4 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Serious question: Do people 30 or under even know Back to the Future? Guys I know around 40 like it for sure, we all do, but at the same time it's not something we watch all the time. The trilogy feels kinda dated to me and I'm not sure it has appeal beyond nostalgia.

Absolutely, check out the video below where college students are asked if they know 80's movies. Every single student knew about Back to the Future and seemed excited about it. BTTF is pretty much timeless at this point, same goes for Ghostbusters. A new BTTF trilogy pinball machine would sell like crazy.

1 year later
#15842 3 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

No worries! I’m sure it’s fun. I’ve burned thru most Ritchies. Zep is a top 3 band for me. But I just wish they put the same effort into it as ACDC. That’s SUCH a killer pin. I miss it but played the hell out of it.

I'm with ya. The other day I was able to play a TMNT LE, AIQ LE, and LZ LE on location. AIQ was a blast to play with a great layout and a decent number of interactive mechs. TMNT really surprised me and almost came across as a loaded Bally / Williams game, fun layout too. Then I played LZ LE...wow. There's barely anything there. "Electric Magic" means a pop up spinner? It's just dull and too wide open with nothing interacting with the ball in the lower 2/3 of the game. For the price the Zeppelin "toy" should have locked balls and moved on a track diagonally across the playfield like the train in Cactus Canyon.

#15852 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Spoken like a true JJP fan boy. I guess you hate AFM as well since you judge games on amount of stuff crammed on a playfield? STh is another great game and doesn't have much on it. Amount of real estate taken up by toys doesn't equal a great game.

Wait I mentioned JJP in that post? No, I complemented two Stern games and provided criticism for another. AFM looks loaded compared to LZ lol. Hell AFM looks like TZ next to LZ.

I partially base a games value on the asking price and in my opinion games like TMNT and AIQ are offering more value then LZ simply based on number of interactive mechs. LZ premium looks like a $6k pin compared to TMNT and AIQ premium.

#15863 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

C'mon, buddy...we've both been here long enough that we know each other pretty well by now. You're known for focusing on toys, and are the frequent butt of jokes for that. Again: Toys and light shows are just fluff. In the end, it's all about how many times you want to hit that start button, and the recent Sterns have done that for me. And this is coming from someone who got into this hobby because of WOZ (and still owns it and likely will never sell it), and I still think JJP makes the most beautiful games out there. But I'm not buying art; I'm buying a toy.
PS - I have AFM and LZ...and you're right in one regard: LZ has only one bouncy toy...AFM has 4. But LZ also has more ramps and gets played a lot more in my house.

Toys are fluff? What the hell are we then paying $6k - $10k+ for? A piece of an old couch and some thin pieces of metal? Lol. These insane NIB prices need to be backed up by toys, features, code, etc. That's why I was impressed with what I saw on AIQ and TMNT.

#15864 3 years ago
Quoted from Celofane:

Brian Eddy => Zombie Yeti => Mortal Kombat

That sounds pretty damn cool, would probably sell well if done right. I can imagine a ruleset where you select a character to play as that offers a unique perk (similar to the characters in JJP POTC). From what I read Brian Eddy worked on several MK games.

#15879 3 years ago
Quoted from Royale-W-Cheese:

WRONG . USA market will kill it.....just in this thread 6 buyers are ready...lol

I wonder how Stern would handle the license. Would there be licensed assets from multiple films or at least from a specific Bond era? If Stern pulled a generic Bond theme with their own assets (the players is Bond!) then I can't see it going over well.

#16074 2 years ago

Mando would be a hard pass for me as well. Theres just not enough content there after only 2 seasons. I also would never buy a pin based on an incomplete TV show as there's never a start to finish of the story represented in the games code. This occurred with TWD, and GOT, each only tell a part of the themes story as the pins were released about half way through the shows life cycle.

#16093 2 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

For TWD, that may have been a good thing. I'm glad there's not a mode where I'm Morgan walking around for an hour where I have to hit orbits but go nowhere and get no points.

That wouldn't be good lol. However, TWD pin is missing everything regarding the war with the Saviors (nothing about Negan), The Whispers, etc. The game only seems to represent half the story. Same goes for GOT with about half of the show not being represented in game modes.

#16094 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It’s a pinball machine, not a DVD box set. There’s about 12 hours worth of Mando content...that’s more than enough for a game that usually lasts 5-10 minutes. LOTR was based on about 10hrs worth of movies...it doesn’t have every single beat or line of dialog. It a “best of”. The 2 seasons of Mando have more than enough adventures, action scenes & characters to make a mode-filled pin.

Right...and events from seasons 3, 4, etc won't ever be represented in the game. Well, unless Stern goes back a year or two later and adds more code...LOL.

#16132 2 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

[quoted image]

LOL! $999.99 limited edition Mr. Fusion topper coming soon.

#16133 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Who cares. It’s a short interactive game based on the theme, not an entire story.

Buyers care that want a theme to cover it's entire story and a ruleset that makes them feel like they are on an adventure / quest. Would LOTR be as well regarded if it covered only the first movie? No way. Same goes for WOZ (what if the theme just covered the first 30 minutes lol), Hobbit, Star Wars, etc. The idea of playing a game for a few minutes with a bunch of generic points based modes that covers half of themes intended content sounds dull in my opinion.

Releasing a pin based on a TV show is designed to generate quick sales while the theme is still relevant in my opinion. Will "The Mandalorian" theme be as well regarded as the original Star Wars trilogy in 5, 10, 20, etc years? Probably not.

#16165 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

So are a lot of current Sterns, but they're a blast as well.

A blast alone isn't worth $6k - $9k+ for many. We are at the point with these crazy town prices that fun factor and flow (often an excuse for a lack of features in some recent pins) are no longer enough to justify the price tag.

Need more features and toys Take away the standard cabinet and general basic parts in a pin then question what you are getting for $6k - $9k+. $1k per orbit and ramp? $2k for 3 drop targets? $1k for a bobble head on a spring? That's insane but its where we are at.

#16177 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

People are buying more than ever. Why would they change? Ultimately we’re paying for a factory with lots of employees to exist...the price is in no way related to the parts.

Lol Gary at home reading this.

3033856-7373530381-25107.gif3033856-7373530381-25107.gif

#16329 2 years ago

If the next Stern pin is really The Mandalorian I hope Stern has payed up to get the rights to Baby Yoda's voice for custom callouts.

#16353 2 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

Stern please make a Star Wars Jar Jar Binks Edition!
I'll save money and piss myself laughing at the same time
[quoted image]

"Hit messa bobble head for big points"! Signature edition for $15k comes with an original film used piece of a rubber Jar Jar Binks head.

#16464 2 years ago

We now know Stern wants to reach the late teens and early 20 year old market. The nearly confirmed rumor of the next Stern pin is a game called "YouTube Star", an official license from Google. You are trying to get as many subscribers as you can to become the number 1 influencer in the world. Hit ramps and orbits to generate ad revenue in a race to become the biggest YouTube channel.

Shoot the 3 drop targets and "Like and Subscribe" bash toy to earn ad dollars. All games feature custom callouts by some of the worlds biggest YouTube stars. Go crazy in "Subscriber Multiball" where all switches score your channel a new subscriber. This game will be internet connected and if you earn a high enough score you will appear on Stern's official "Trending High Score" leaderboard (*subscription to The Stern Global Lifestyle Network required). A built in camera will also capture video of you playing and auto upload to YouTube (hit bumpers to add more jump cuts). The special "Gold Subscriber Edition" comes with a unique gold mirrored back glass for $15k.

#16484 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

This is both a really stupid idea and brilliant at the same time. If Stern wasn't planning it before, they might after reading this...

I'm sorry lol.

#16711 2 years ago

If the next pin is Mando I'm interested but only if Stern obtained the licenses to the first two seasons of the show, some of its music, and voice + video rights to Mando and Baby Yoda's character. No more odd static character animation images flying in and out like Avengers, sorry but those look cheesy and do little to help immerse a player into the theme. Carl Weathers doing custom callouts would be awesome. I can imagine callouts for bounty missions where Greef Karga assigns you bounty pucks for missions.

Do we know who is rumored to be on design / code?

#16714 2 years ago

Kaneda has some rumored info about the game on his latest podcast. He's hearing full assets which would be great.

https://soundcloud.com/kanedapinball/episode-573-stern-is-the-way

#16716 2 years ago

The rumored main toy is called "Baby Yoda Magic". A spinner will pop up out of the playfield, with each spin Baby Yoda laughs.

#16731 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

If Stern’s topper looks like this and they light the eyes, it’ll sell out at $750.
[quoted image]

Lol probably. Too cheap now for Stern, $1k with a limited edition plaque on the back of it.

#16746 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

IF it's BTTF, that's Kapow and premium pricing, which also pulls in Lyman for bait on the higher Elvira-style pricing, so an Eddy/Sheats BTTF would be a possibility. Could be very, very good.

THIS! Please.

#16761 2 years ago
Quoted from onemilemore:

I think they could pull it off with movie quotes just like in Ghostbusters - that pin is super immersive without Murray or Aykroyd doing custom callouts.

Ghostbusters has custom callouts from Ernie Hudson, he did a great job.

#16768 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

The official toppers are embarrassingly bad. They need to hire Back Alley Matt to do these.

Yup, $1,000 each for these... Absolutely insane. Both look like items sold at pop up Halloween decoration and costume stores. What a joke.

fdfdfdf (resized).JPGfdfdfdf (resized).JPG
fdfd (resized).JPGfdfd (resized).JPG

Meanwhile Gary at home seeing people defend Stern's game and topper pricing.

2539433-2642583531-24674.gif2539433-2642583531-24674.gif

#16777 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You’re assuming they’d even do it. You’re assuming Stern could even license the footage/audio/music of the movie. Look at the Zen Pinball BTTF. Only thing on it is the car. Voices are all fakes. Music is fake. Original BTTF pin couldn’t get MJF’s license. If a BTTF pin ever does happen, you’ll likely be very disappointed.
Enjoy Mando!

I wouldn't say that. Zen Pinball has done various Star Wars games based on the original trilogy and none have full assets unlike an actual real Star Wars pin done by Stern. Zen probably can't afford to get full assets when selling a digital table for $5 or whatever.

#16911 2 years ago

Beskar armor for trim sounds amazing!

Reality = flat silver paint

Brushed stainless steel trim is probably the closest we can get to imitating the look of Beskar, but when was the last time Stern trimmed any of their games in stainless steel? Maybe never.

#17022 2 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:Well, obviously you must mean Mandalorian Prem/LE... and the Pro will have like a flat plastic and a flasher bulb.

Mando pro white wood. The flow is going to be off the charts with this one.

whitewood (resized).jpgwhitewood (resized).jpg

#17047 2 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

We are in a Stern thread discussing Sterns next title. People are comparing and have been comparing what Stern makes, with GNR and Pinside moderates my post as trolling!!! Lol, wow!
(I’ll write this differently then so it can’t be compared somehow cross posting or trolling. Ridiculous!)
When I was first introduced to pinball I was told Stern makes pinball machines for real pinball players and enthusiasts like Bally/Williams did, because the Bally/Williams team had most all gone over to Stern, after B/W went out of business. Which is true.
JJP began as a tiny competing company, which they still are, after nearly going out of business 3 times, if it wasn’t for the bailouts of the Abbot family, new owners now. So after trying to run 2 separate double the costs operations JJP wisely combined and located near Stern. This all costs incredible amounts of money to accomplish and is passed on to us the consumer of JJP in the form of very high prices on their products. It certainly is not because of high BOM costs. LEDs are very cheap. Plastics are very cheap as well. Both Stern and JJP overcharge for their product, but of the 2 Sterns is $4k to $7k cheaper with not much more in any 3 level JJP than any 3 level Stern. They do have more, but not this next level “raised the bar” claimed by JJP fanboys. And shot wise, put any modern day Stern against the only 6 JJP has made in over a dozen years and one quickly realizes, shots are not so good compared to a Borg, Richie, Gomez, Elwin or Eddy layout. Pat does some good shooting layouts, but his 2 efforts with JJP are not his best, because the ball gets lost much of the time on both layouts and has issues. Eric’s 2 efforts look good, but don’t shoot all that well. Ball meanders all over the place on POTC, gets lost and does not flow all that well on GNR, but he’s still learning with so little experience under his belt compared to all the other designers mentioned above that have been making great pinball designs many years before he was even born.
If we are being realists, a Stern outperforms and shoots better than any JJP, simply because Stern makes machines for the actual sport of pinball and real pinball enthusiasts. Whereas JJP makes pinball for collectors that like a lot of lights, plastic and don’t mind that all that plastic hides the ball a great deal of the time. Collectors have a different idea on pinball and like the look more than the actual gameplay. So that is my reasons of why I’m glad Stern is making these next big titles, like Mando, Godzilla, BTTF and not any of the small way less experienced companies like JJP.

Blah blah blah. That tiny company kicked Sterns ass with their very first game, WOZ, made Sterns look like inferior overpriced products, and has been doing it with every release since

By the way, it was you who had a fit a few pages ago going off about JJP and now once again.

#17058 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

In the end I fixed everything on the WOZ and got it running rock solid. Though I never liked the game, it is truly beloved in its new home. My friend's daughters and grand daughters all play the heck out of it and it is their favorite pinball machine. Different strokes is what it is all about. We all have different tastes and fortunately there are games that are appealing to all of us at this point. If people love WOZ then more power to them, just don't act like I am being fooled somehow into liking Star Wars or WPT or Stranger Things. I like them because I like them and they are good shooting and challenging games. I also love the old Bally SS games and have a bunch of EMs in my collection that I love.

We disagree a ton but I'm glad there's options for everyone like you said. I really enjoy my Ghostbusters Premium and would be happy to add another Stern to my collection which is why I'm on a list for a Mando LE.

#17061 2 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Okay, it was this quote I agreed fully with and somehow glitched from another persons comments: I said: This a thousand times about JJP games. Well stated JJP games are clunkers and what I’ve purchased have been Maintence nightmares as well.

Stop repeating your same garbage comments over and over again, it's old. This one thousand times lol.

#17063 2 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

JJP fanboy garbage in Stern threads repeated by you the king of JJP fan club over and over again calling me out??? Lol Stop your nonsense and go back to trolling elsewhere. We’ve heard enough of you over and over bashing Stern, it gets real old buddy. You are constantly in fights with people all over pinside. When is enough enough??? What you constantly do gets even older. We get it, you hate Stern, but pretend to like or pretend to order a game here or there. I don’t go into JJP threads and bash like you do in Stern threads. Stick to your chosen corner.

You posted a 1,000 word rant against JJP that makes zero sense and now keep repeating it, please stop.

Also, I currently own two Stern pinball machines, have owned many in the past, and I'm on a list for a Mando LE. I don't hate Stern, far from it. Do I think their games are often overpriced for what you get? You bet and I'll always be critical of that at these insane prices, just as I've been critical for JJP raising GNR prices by $1k (which by the way we both agree on in that other thread). What you are now doing is attacking me, and spreading lies which isn't cool. I'm done, have fun arguing with yourself.

Let's get excited for Mando instead of arguing. Speaking of Mando I've contacted a few of the larger distributors and all have wait lists for LE's at this point... I'm sure some people will decide not to get the game and open up spots for others.

#17090 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Just got a note from a buddy. He got a call from his distributor that their allotment for LEs was way down this time, and that it was "The Mandalorian".
Take it for what its worth.

I think its going to be a tough LE to grab. I'm on 4 wait lists for one...Then again, not everyone on the current lists will end up buying one so expect spots to open up.

#17119 2 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

[quoted image]

Lol. Stern should just give that one the old copy and paste Pabst Blue Ribbon / Primus treatment and sell 50 of them for $10k+.

#17134 2 years ago

I loved the Mando series. One of the few things we all agreed on watching as a family, but it's not a must buy on theme alone for me.
I just hope they don't eff it up like IMO every Star Wars pin so far or much it up with boring modes/assets like GOTG (yes I've owned it).
Not every pin needs to be coded super-deep and ultra-clever, but something less generic would be welcome.

Yeah good points. There's deep and then there's overly complex. I've found many modern Stern modes to be too focused on points and crazy multiplier rules rather then telling a themes story through code. This is likely for tournament play but as a home buyer I'm not a fan.

For Mando I would like to see at least 12 main objective modes (say 6 for each season, two mode ladders), a mini wizard mode per season, and then a super wizard mode. Of course there would be a handful of multiball modes in there as well. Have the modes tell the themes story with great mode choreography versus static images and scores flying in and out.

An example of this would be the modes in LOTR versus Avengers. The modes in LOTR tell the themes story with shots synced to animations based on a scene along with music, light shows, and sound effects. The modes in Avengers on the other hand are primarily about points / multipliers with static images of characters flying in and out.

#17137 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

deep code is boring, a pin needs to be fun off the bat... These new pins that need a tutorial to be played are ridiculous. I do not want to go study pinball, if I wanted to study something I would grab a book, not a freaking rules set for a pinball machine... I own one of these game with deep rules and cannot wait to get rid of it.

So shallow like Munsters? People hated that and are still complaining about it lol. At these insane prices code needs to be deep with a ton of modes, especially for the home buyer to keep the game interesting for years to come. Basic rulesets like on Getaway or T2 no longer cut it.

#17141 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Please god no, no ladders....we don't want this game getting Goatf***ered.
Random modes for life!!!!!

How about mode ladders but random or player selected? I wouldn't want to have to play them in order either.

#17187 2 years ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

The VR star wars tables just came out on the oculus quest today. I played their Mando pin and Cara dune was thankfully on the artwork with call outs. I could care less what she tweats in real life.
Hearing the theme song with Mando mumbling about his next job wasn't very exciting. Hopefully stern can liven up their version with battle scenes and pumping remixed music. The game should represent a campy action packed spaghetti western in space and not take itself serious. Baby Yoda causing trouble a plus.

I just gave it a shot and submitted a refund for the game. I may have just played too much real pinball but the entire game feels off and awkward. The Mando table has some very repetitive callouts and animations. Text on tables is also a bit difficult to read.

#17211 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

This is hilarious and so you! Bashing people in a Stern thread still??? Hehehe. You’re right about only one part, WOZ was $6500 and would kick any company at that price, but since then, they’ve “raised the price bar” and now sells for more than double, but not double the value product wise. Keep up the good work for JJP, they gotta love ya. Keep on hatin Stern, since that seems to be your gig, Hahaha...So good to be back and see that things have not changed with you my friend! (BTW, not too good for our US international relations giving it to our friends the Australians over different opinions to yours.)

Quoted from jimwe5t:

This is a spot on assessment, as WOZ does shoot like crap and what a clunker. All the shots are straight up the middle and where does the ball go on the upper right side? So many issues all over the machine. Needed lots more testing before being released. Only break any owner got, was the very low price tag when it was introduced. Not sure why some fawn all over this table, except for the “look” of all the lights. Those primary colors flashing are alluring.
Mando will surely shoot like a champ, with Brian E. doing the layout. He’s designed some all time great ones! Rumor of this machine has brought me back to pinball. Love the Star Wars themed pinball. Hope this machine has emphasis on the 2nd season which seemed to be the series best to me anyway.

WOZ is amazing, a modern day TZ. I've happily owned a WOZ ECLE since 2013 with very little issues. Myself and many others think it shoots great too with a ton of shots throughout the playfield. How did you miss the multiple shots on the sides? Must have never played it! There's more to pinball then 2 standard orbits, 2 ramps and toys on springs. I'm more then happy to own WOZ, a game with a fun unique layout that has one of the deepest rulesets in pinball that works the playfield in interesting ways.

I'm not sure why a few people here hate JJP so much. That's why yourself and a few others here have zero credibility here, you never say a single good thing about JJP. The crap some of you Stern fanboys complain about when it comes to JJP games is hilarious. If Stern had made WOZ you would have been going crazy as in your eyes they can do no wrong lol. Also, I don't hate Stern. I currently own two of their games and compliment them regularly. How many JJP's do you own?

We can agree on one thing and that's the hope that Mando is great. There's huge potential with the theme. Thank goodness it will have full assets from both seasons, second season is amazing. Looking forward to the reveal and possibly buying an LE.

#17220 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

It’s not a few people, many have struggles with JJP games losing the ball and wide body ball meandering problems. The narrow bodies are somewhat better, but still have ball loss. Where does the ball go on the left side of Dialed In for example? You have to listen for the trap door to open, because you can’t see it. I don’t hate JJP at all, so its not a fair assessment as I’ve purchased and enjoyed to some degree, even with all the maintence issues, some of their machines, even though they don’t shoot that well. As light boxes, they can’t be beat. Have played the heck out of WOZ to know the shot geometry has problems. There is a reason JJP located a post right in the middle of the 2 flippers on WOZ, because of shot geometry problems. How many other companies have you seen do that, place a post in the middle of the 2 flippers? Answer: none.
Are you really going to buy Mando PanzerFreak with your hate for most all Stern tables and Stern in general? Give in to the love and you’ll open your eyes to what others have to offer, hehehe.

Unsubscribe Arguing with you is like arguing with a rock. This is a thread about the next Stern pin, please stop trolling.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#17222 2 years ago

Agreed. Their code is slanted towards league play not home play.

I would like to see this change as well. It seems like majority of newer Sterns are focused on points and multipliers versus creating moments with great mode choreography. The new hires / talent that Stern has brought in over the past few years are great but they seem too focused on creating rulesets for tournament play. A good example of this is the modes in LOTR versus modes in AIQ. One game tells it story through code with great mode choreography (animations, music, sounds, stages in modes, etc) while the other has static images and scores flying in left and right.

The last Stern pin that I think told a themes story well through code with multiple moments, modes filled with stages, etc was Ghostbusters.

#17224 2 years ago
Quoted from onemilemore:

IMO TMNT also does a really nice job with moments and modes and I think you can see the common thread there.
I don't have a ton of experience with Dwight-coded pins (never played Munsters and very very little time on Star Wars) but GB and TMNT are both in our home and have a great combo of moments, depth, and theme immersion that keep us coming back for more.

That's great to hear. People hammer on Dwight for his code but maybe he would be the best choice for Mando code if people want it to have a deep objective based ruleset. Dwight got ripped on over Ghostbusters code for literally years but he eventually came through and went over the top with the final couple updates. Munsters though...yeah lol. I Had a blast playing a TMNT LE the other week on location, fun pin and will take a closer look at it.

#17227 2 years ago
Quoted from onemilemore:

Haha yeah, I had the benefit of entering the hobby after GB was complete so I haven't really experienced the struggle. There's a ton of modes and extra side games on TMNT - plenty going on for a home-use experience.

Good to know about the modes and side games. I was really impressed how loaded the game appeared while playing it. It felt as loaded of a game as Creature or a number of other 90's Bally Williams pins. If I don't end up with a Mando I can see picking up a TMNT Premium.

#17258 2 years ago
Quoted from kell:

Look around at how many people (20s, 30s, 40s, etc.) have new cars that cost $30-40k+. That is disposable income to me and I see it every time I am on the road, anywhere. People have different priorities and find ways to purchase what they want.
I’m not that young, but would love to see themes catered toward the younger generations. Pinball isn’t all about me, and what I want. A broader appeal makes the hobby that much better, imo.

I bet a vast majority of those people having new cars that cost $30k - $40k+ do so on payments, they are in debt. Looking rich is easy today, it's called fake rich which means having a lot of debt, just take out a loan or charge it! Is it disposable income? Partially but that's just to afford the car payments, very few people can actually afford to pay in cash for a $30k - $40k+ car. When I see expensive cars on the road I see car payments lol. Many of those same people with the $30k - $50k car loans also have huge 30 year mortgages and are saving little towards retirement. Now that's normal sadly.

#17266 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

So you are saying you don't know anything about pinball machines?[quoted image][quoted image]

Don't waste your time, the more you argue with him the more your head will hurt lol.

#17316 2 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

Umm but then you look at Munsters Coding? No thanks - And how effin long it took GhostBusters for Dwight!
Neither of the 2 for me now..

Lol yeah true.

Here's a couple pics from the Where's the Code GB thread I created some years back. It was nearly a 3 year wait for Ghostbusters code...Also it was world wide news when it finally dropped lol.

f6287e03a53e06901a0b56a25e480afcb31c4b66 (resized).pngf6287e03a53e06901a0b56a25e480afcb31c4b66 (resized).png
0fb584c481471c42e6b2a9ab0c62f671bf39002c (resized).jpg0fb584c481471c42e6b2a9ab0c62f671bf39002c (resized).jpg

#17335 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Are you sure you understand what a good pinball layout is all about? Does loaded mean lots of plastic to you? Pinball design 101 informs us that a good layout is not loaded with tons of plastic that hides the ball and is open enough to have good flow for shots to flow for combos. Do you get that??? Loaded with ball interactive mechs can be good if the mechs don’t interrupt the flow and allow for good shots being made off the flippers. Do you comprehend this part of good table design my friend? Maybe that is what is challenging for decisions on what to buy...TMNT is a great flowing table, with flowing combos and qualifies as being loaded with ball interactive mechs. Sure Mando will be the same.

The way you post makes me think you have never played a pinball machine before. Just bizarre.

Guess what, nearly every modern pinball machine has mechs that stop the ball briefly. That's normal. Pinball is more then just ramps and orbits. Flow can become overrated when it means minimal mechs on games that now cost $6k - $9k+. This is one of the reasons many have hammered on Star Wars pro and LZ pro.

Oh, please let me know the name of your Pinball Design 101 book so I never buy it lol. Here's the front cover for you, sounds like your perfect pin. Send $8k and I'll build you one, it's a flow monster.

whitewood (resized).jpgwhitewood (resized).jpg

#17443 2 years ago
Quoted from UVAJED:

JJP did it right with the 27" monitors and insane LED integration. If stern did it like that or better I would be more excited to follow this thread. However, still following. ‍♀️

Please add "Stern Trigger Warning" if posting something like that! Comments like that will give some people a heart attack here.

Quoted from Indusguys:

JJP games look great, but I like to have fun when I play a game, not watch tv.

Myself and others enjoy looking at the 27" JJP screen at times during the game (especially during those big game moments that are in all JJP games), easily viewing goals / progress, and seeing HD high quality graphics versus basically static images flying in and out on a majority of Stern games.

There's nothing wrong with the Stern LCD screen size but they need to step up their animation game or at least be more consistent with offering high quality animations across all titles. The animations for TMNT come across as PS2 era (even Zach from SDTM hammered on that and he's a Stern distributor), same with Avengers AIQ. Animations for Black Knight are much nicer (probably their best) but why isn't that the norm from Stern?

#17456 2 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Stern’s dot game was stronger than its LCD game. JJP is undefeated when it comes to this stuff. It’s not even close.

Agree. I'm sure Stern could match JJP in the animation department if they spent more money on that area. The "You don't play the LCD" type comments I read end up coming across as excuses for cheesy animation work. At first I was bummed that Ghostbusters didn't have an LCD but it probably worked out for the best as the dot work in the game is awesome.

#17458 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

I find the stern LCD much better than JJPs. JJPs is better in attract mode and to observers but the size is too big to easily glance at with your peripheral during gameplay for me. Not to mention the stern LCD is much sharper and contrasty than the cheap JJP screen. I agree that the animations are inconsistent, but their best stuff is great... Jurassic, Deadpool, Star Wars, etc all have awesome animations

To each their own. Have never had an issue with glancing at a JJP screen during gameplay. The JJP screens are all broken up into quadrants / areas for the games different objectives. Stern has tried this to some degree but I find it harder to read due to the much smaller screen.

Good point on Deadpool, Stern did a nice job with the animations on that game. The 8 bit style animations look great.

#17460 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

The so called quadrant is more clutter than effective. It confuses any visitor I’ve had play any JJP game. They always prefer straight to the point of Stern’s. Screen size is a non factor playing pinball. Eyes adjust and really don’t know the difference in screen size. It’s all a spec illusion you keep harping on. It’s like telling someone how great your 65” TV is and they are completely satisfied and don’t see the difference 3 minutes into the movie on their 55” inch. All being near the same in the minds eye. Stern’s is not harder to read or you must need stronger glasses. Lol

Lol I'm not even reading your posts anymore and it feels great. You cannot accept any criticism, even if it's constructive and includes compliments, against Stern.

#17462 2 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Me neither. Lol. I think delt31 might have two accounts.

Lol. No one is here saying Stern games suck but there are a handful of Pinside members that take it that way when reading any criticism towards Stern. Stern makes great games that are fun. Does that mean they are perfect? No. JJP is no different and has had some serious issues again with playfield issues (yet again) with some GNR playfields.

#17463 2 years ago

Duplicate, sorry, please delete.

#17471 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Suppose you are not considered to be “no one”. Bash away on Stern, they can take it, they’re big boys. But can’t you keep it to the topic of this thread? Stern’s next title? Let’s take JJP talk to a JJP thread.

Hopefully today we will actually have some news for Mando! Maybe a teaser. I'm either buying that, a Stranger Things Pro, or TMNT premium next.

#17475 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Think you’d be happiest with TMNT, as it has a lot of ball interactive toys. The layout is amazingly fast and one of Borg’s best ever. Knowing your style, think that would be up your ally. The only thing you might not like is the screen, lol.

See we can get along lol. I had such a blast playing TMNT on location a few weeks back, was not expecting that. The game feels loaded like a 90's Bally Williams pin. Code looks great too.

#17498 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

My wife said the same thing when she saw Dialed In & Star Wars. Most of the LCD work has a 90’s PC CD-ROM vibe.

Personally I think Dialed In has the best animations in pinball, especially the phone character animations, but that's just me. Much better then 90's CD-ROM.

I still think Dialed In by JJP and Black Knight SOR by Stern have the best animations from each company. It's a bit ironic that both are also original themes, I think that motivated each company to do a great job.

#17502 2 years ago

Now good to go for buying Mando (or a Stranger Things or TMNT) after ordering a Namco 20th Anniversary Ms. Pacman / Galaga cabinet for my wife. She's always wanted one and said no more pins until she gets one, ok I'm not arguing I said haha.

#17511 2 years ago

Oh damn, and here we go!

#17558 2 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

Has this been confirmed anywhere or is it just speculation based on those 2 titles? Based on what was said around EHOH's release, Lyman had wanted to work on a haunted mansion/house type game for a while so it was a good fit. Im not saying that he isnt assigned to the Premium+ games they release, just curious if there is more to this than his involvement with the first 2 Prem+ games.

I think speculation but I wouldn't be surprised if we see a Kapow licensed Back to the Future with Lyman on code.

#17969 2 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Baskar
[quoted image]

We now know what Baskar armor is in the game lol. I'm thinking the armor will look better in the high resolution photos.

123 (resized).JPG123 (resized).JPG

#18015 2 years ago

So those 6 drop targets we heard about for weeks are really 6 standup targets representing the top of Mando's head? Baby Yoda is a doll and does nothing across all models. Upper playfield looks odd. WTF lol. Just initial impressions.

#18061 2 years ago

Back to waiting for Back to the Future.

#18196 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

How DARE I come to the exact place where we discuss these things and voice criticisms and concerns as a collector and operator? What an arssssshole I must be.

[quoted image]

We have come to the point in this thread where some people who have decided to buy the game are now becoming very defensive over it. Happens with every new release but the people being offended need to realize this is general game thread where criticism is normal, not a club thread.

In regards to your comment to Stern I'm glad you made is as the name of the Nerdist article is "Baby Yoda Controls the Balls in THE MANDALORIAN Pinball". No, Baby Yoda does nothing. "The game’s best component, though, is its large custom sculpture of Grogu. He looks and moves like he is controlling the balls in the game. Just like he controls the little round knob from the Razor Crest". No, Baby Yoda doesn't move, he doesn't control the pinball, he does nothing.

False advertising.

https://nerdist.com/article/star-wars-the-mandalorian-pinball-baby-yoda/

#18202 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Personally not buying yet. Game looks fun - im sure it will earn well on location. Will wait for more gameplay to decide. But no one has to be an asshole about it. There's a lot of good titles to buy at the moment - if the magnet doesnt do what you want, buy another game.

I'm with ya there! This is such a great time for pinball with so many different types of games available, there's something for everyone. I waited for the Mando reveal, was disappointed, and then bought a TMNT Premium lol.

#18207 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

I could care whether the magnet does what I want it to. You’re missing the point being that Stern is acting like it some engineering marvel in their advertisement. They just want new buyers who don’t even know wtf they are looking at to plunk down the cash on their first pin based on theme alone. I am entitled to my opinion as are you. But I’ll be damned if you’re gonna call me an “asshole” about it.

There's even people on Pinside now saying "Maybe Baby Yoda does grab the ball after all" and "I think his hand does move". Stern includes even the most minor of features on their feature matrix charts, they sure as hell didn't miss Baby Yoda being interactive.

2 months later
#19188 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Why? They are killing it, business wise, they dont need to innovate.

Kodak and Polaroid probably said the same thing.

#19197 2 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Lol. Give me a break.

Like it or not other competitors have forced Stern to change for the better. If it wasn't for those competitors Stern would probably still be using DMD's...

#19228 2 years ago

A new BTTF pin would be a money printing machine for Stern. Really hoping this one happens and with full assets.

#19250 2 years ago

Still want to see a new BTTF from Stern but Karate Kid would be pretty cool too! Either way each theme needs full assets to be done right.

#19252 2 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

you are in the Stern thread!

Lol yeah. We've seen Stern get full assets before, probably just depends on the cost and if they want to pay it. If BTTF is coming it sounds like it will be the next Kapow game as higher pricing partially due to the license cost. Hopefully the signature edition comes with a piece of the drivers seat from the destroyed Delorean in BTTF 3.

3 weeks later
#19714 2 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

I personally welcome a price increase, if it is paying for an awesome feature and BOM increase on Godzilla.

Distros won’t know until the game is announced to them formally.

Damn dude lol. There's been price increases by Stern for literally years and it hasn't resulted in more features. Actually there's been cuts in features and hardware designs to save on costs. Everything from the new head design, lock down bar removal for brackets, plastic versus metal leg protectors, removal of the head lock mech for bolts, cheaper coil stops, and hell even the entire Spike 2 system have been designed to save on costs. Have any of those changes resulted in more hardware features? No, just more money for Stern. NIB prices were already insane a few years back and are in crazy town territory now.

I wouldn't be surprised if this price increase is partially the result of Stern seeing JJP raise prices by $1k. Both JJP and Stern have been playing the back and forth price raising game for years. At some point customers are going to say no which I think has already been occurring. In the past two months I picked up a NIB TMNT Premium for $7500 and a NIB GNR LE for $9500. There's no way in hell I would have bought either game, at least new, if they were $8k and $10.5k.

#19717 2 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Your best buddy Huckster Jack taught Gary all about price increases and milking the consumer. Stick it up your butt.

Quoted from beelzeboob:

There's been price increases by JJP for literally years and it hasn't resulted in more fun.

I see we have another two people blaming JJP for Stern raising prices...my goodness lol. This is Stern's choice to raise prices, try holding them accountable for once and what they are putting in their games (or lack of). Instead of blaming JJP ask yourself why Stern isn't putting more into their games with each price increase and overall increasing value. Maybe don't do that though and just be happy for paying $1k per orbit and ramp, if it's fun who cares what the price is!

#19723 2 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

For the life of me I don't understand why you visit threads other than the Huckster Jack threads. Are there not enough people in them to play with?

You don't like any criticism directed at Stern and then lash out. Criticism doesn't mean a company or product is bad. I post in Stern related threads because I own, enjoy, and will continue to buy Stern games.

#19759 2 years ago

So Kaneda is saying that Pro prices are going up $500 for pro's, $750 on the premium, and the LE price increase is being decided to be raised by $1k or $1500. This is insane considering what we already get, or lack of, at existing prices. Really hope this is just a rumor.

Also, Kaneda is saying that Godzilla is next and that it will be followed by a John Borg designed Back to the Future.

1 year later
#34153 1 year ago

Kaneda is reporting that Ghostsbusters is going to be vaulted. Not sure how accurate of a rumor this is.

7 months later
#38291 9 months ago

Venom is the next Stern pin? I don't get it, doesn't seem like that big of a theme but I must be out of the comic book loop. Venom has always come across as a B level super hero character IMO. What's next a Hawkeye pin? Hoping I'm wrong and this is a hit like Deadpool with a cool comic version of the theme.

Also, much rather have a Back to the Future pin That theme will print money.

#38501 9 months ago

The Doc is ready for the next price increase

download (2) (resized).jpgdownload (2) (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#39522 8 months ago

I really hope we get full assets for Jaws

#39617 8 months ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

Hot take: JJP and Stern went in on the Harry Potter license together and split the cost to get full assets. Both manufacturers will release their own game simultaneously. *J/K, full speculation no truth to this “what-if”.

Stern is going to beat JJP to launch, here's the whitewood. Supposedly it's Stern's fastest games to date. There are no stupid mechs or toys to slow the ball down, just pure speed for $7k - 13k! It's all about the flow.

Pinside_forum_7426297_0 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_7426297_0 (resized).jpg

#39672 8 months ago
Quoted from galore2112:

If BTTF is such a slam dunk theme, the penny pinchers at Stern will have the upper hand and the game will be as barren as Led Zeppelin or Venom.
If there is one theme that will sell even with the most boring barren layout, it’s BTTF.
Ca-Ching!

Shots are the new toys right? lol. $2k per ramp, $1k per orbit, that barren space in those areas is very valuable for the flow of the game.

#39676 8 months ago
Quoted from Zen_Monkey:

i don’t understand how people can’t see jaws as a good pinball theme. Jurassic Park could easily be rethemed as Jaws with only a little imagination.
If he doesn’t go for a retro design which i hope he doesn’t I can easily see Jaws sitting in the middle of godzilla and JP.
Jaws has an iconic theme song that can reflect gameplay more than any other theme song i can think of, the pace changing and becoming more intense as you run out of time with the lights pulsating to the beat.
l

What if it's generic Jaws though, like generic Jurassic Park, with little to no license assets beyond the main theme song? Jurassic Park has enough stuff going on with the theme for players to forget about the lack of the movie actors but Jaws? I don't see it. There needs to be Quint movie quotes by Robert Shaw in the game among others. A combination of generic plus modes based on the first film would be great to see.

Knowing Stern though who knows what we will get. Instead of the Orca boat we get the Morca boat designed by Gomez that spins around in a circle.

#39677 8 months ago
Quoted from beergut666:

The guy that owns a Toy Story is chirping at Stern for games being barren lol.

Jump ramp with benson posts, large spinning disk, large pop up character mech, physical kick back, etc. What's your point? Try again lol.

4 months later
#43711 3 months ago
Quoted from BasementFacts:

I just saw the new Stern factory video and yep... FOMO is officially canceled, especially for Stern. They're not going to let that space go to waste. NIB is back to losing money instantly, as it should be. Your CCrLE experience is surprising though. I would expect CGC games to hold value since it takes them forever to deliver games. I did preorder Pulp Fiction because of that. I'll never buy a NIB Stern though.

Stern shot themselves in the foot moving to a newer larger factory yet again. That decision was likely made when they were still selling games left and right and the secondary market was on fire. Now that's not the case. They expanded too quickly IMO.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

$ 24.95
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

£ 70.00
Playfield - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

5,286 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, IN
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 20.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Methuen, MA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 47.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Space Coast Pinball

$ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Jacksonville, FL
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PanzerFreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine?tu=PanzerFreak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.