20240423_100718 (resized).jpg
20240423_100723 (resized).jpg
Whoa (resized).jpg
51AE3C41-1E6E-417B-B0FC-EAF0D317F2BB.gif
vince-neil-is-upset (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #33984 Stern's new factory information Posted by Grantman (1 year ago)

Post #36014 TRAILER: Foo Fighters Pin teaser trailer Posted by Yoko2una (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PBFan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14050 3 years ago

I hope they are done for a while with band pins. I just don’t find that there are many bands that have enough visual assets to make it worthwhile as a pinball machine. I love Zep but as a pinball theme it just doesn’t work for me. I would rather play Metallica with Zep cranked up. They did a great job with AC/DC, Metallica, Maiden and Aerosmith but enough. I know Ozzie and a few others have great assets too but still, it’s time to move on.

I am an old rock Dad but it is time to move on. I get the demographic that they appeal too but it is time to start on boarding a new group of pinheads as we won’t live forever.

#14122 3 years ago
Quoted from greenstreet:

Agreed. I waited until they made a rock pin for a band on my short list. Now that I have LZ I am very unlikely to ever buy another rock pin. One is enough. And you make a good point. You can play any pin and also crank any music you want in the background. Not sure why the music has to be coming from the pin.

I agree with those that point out that you can’t get the full experience of a modern pin without hearing it. I am not against not having good music or soundtrack in a pin - I just don’t know about having the theme focus on a band. Daft Punk worked in Tron. AC/DC works in Ironman and so forth but the primary theme is not the band. And JJP did a great job with GnR but they focussed the theme as much on a concert experience as they did the band. Nice integration.

Playing a pin on location (barcade, etc) is a terrible experience if you want the complete feel of a pin due to the background noise. You can’t hear shit usually. For the home setting, once you have learned the rules you can play some of the time with your music in the background or immerse yourself in the full experience - you can chose.

I love music and I love pinball but doesn’t mean I want a Band themed pin. If it is well integrated with the game (modes) then it works but it is getting to be an old recipe now. I am ready for something new. Even the superhero theme is starting to get a little old but at least there are so many assets and storylines it doesn’t have to feel as much like rinse and repeat.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
1 week later
#14408 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I think the TWD is a great looking pin I really don't get all the hate it gets for how it looks. It's downright beautiful compared to some of the disasters Stern has done. On the other side I just don't get the love fest it gets for it's rules and code. I dunno what I'm missing as I played it a lot but it always felt very linear and repetitive.

I own it and it is ugly as intended. I was not sure about owning it due to the ugliness but it is a great playing pin that gets the blood flowing. It is bolted to the floor - but damn it is noticeably ugly next to Tron, Metallica, Ironman, Spider-Man and IJ. ... next to most pins. Good thing it is such a great game.

#14410 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I always thought the ugliness fits the theme well. Can’t imaging an elaborate Yeti or Donny style on TWD. Having said that a black and white comic vault would have me selling my premium to upgrade.

No question that a ZY or DD style would not have been a good fit. It did need to be ugly but not sure I wanted something that ugly at home. As ugly as it is - it will never leave because it is a rush to play.

1 week later
#14644 3 years ago

My vote would be for a Mortal Kombat pin.

2 weeks later
#15439 3 years ago

I have to ask, “why do so many pinsiders drool over BTTF as a theme”? I loved the movies and think it would be a good theme with lots of potential. I am just not sure I understand the absolute love fest. What is it that is driving this that so many people would put an LE deposit down sight unseen based solely on Theme? Was this series of movie(s) popular overseas or is this just a North American thing?

#15443 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

let me guess, are you in your early - mid 20s? lol or younger?
you missed out on one of the best trilogies ever made, we are talking special FX cool for the era, really likeable characters and just a very fun storyline.

Actually I worked at a movie theatre as a projectionist in 1985 when it came out. It was an awesome movie which I still quite enjoy. And I think the 80s was the best decade but I still don’t get the over-the-top love for the theme as it relates to pinball.

#15491 3 years ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

You really you got me thinking with your question.

Good response. That was the type of response I was really looking for. Why other pinheads like the theme so much for a pin? As opposed to more general commentary on why I am not over the moon in love with the BTTF theme for a pin. I do find other people’s opinions of different games/themes interesting as they often point out things that I hadn’t thought of.

The theme is like a book cover as it generates the initial interest but it is what the design team does with it that ultimately defines the greatness. The theme certainly peaks my interest but doesn’t fascinate me.

1 month later
#18383 2 years ago

I am so glad many of you don’t work for a pinball manufacturing company. Then again it wouldn’t be very long because it would be bankrupt. LOL. Fun stuff to read though. Keep on posting your dreams as it makes for some interesting reading.

3 months later
#19959 2 years ago

For all you Rush fans:

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/rush-announces-beer-collaboration-with-toronto-s-henderson-brewery-837519475.html

If you don’t get your Rush pin you can drown your sorrows with their beer. But I hope you get both.

2 months later
#22337 2 years ago

How about?

Quoted from Sunsfan23:

A modern spike 2 Indiana Jones with LCD would be amazing, and sell incredibly well. Maybe Jack Danger on design for his first full featured cornerstone.

Stern had their chance with IJ. They failed miserably. Their first attempt should have been amazing … but it wasn’t. Can’t see them going back to that well again.

#22355 2 years ago
Quoted from Sunsfan23:

It’s a massive IP, and they are doing another film. It deserves a modern re-do! JJP or Stern!

I agree that it is a great IP - probably my favourite IP but there are many great IP’s out there that would sell well. If it was to be done again I would prefer JJP and not because I like them over Stern but would like to see a new approach to it.

2 months later
#24540 2 years ago

Back in the day half my friends and I looked like that. LOL.

1 week later
#24722 2 years ago

Off topic but, Yeah sorry but the definition of “Dad Rock” will always be a little influx. But it is safe to say that if you are 40+ then anything you listened to as a young adult is now in the category of Dad Rock. We don’t decide but our kids do! Just like we don’t get to decide if we are cool or not - our kids do! Just like when we were kids - anyone over 40 is out-of-touch (according to them). Our time in the sun is ending.

1 month later
#25958 2 years ago

Love the enthusiasm for it but I don’t think a BTTF is in the near (2 year) future any more than a TRON VE. Stern just has too much else going on. I am sure both of those titles are in a product backlog somewhere though. Unless Stern can regulate supply chain issues and decide to expand their operation (extra shifts, 7 day operation, or move to a bigger building) I think they have a full plate for the next while. I also wouldn’t like to see Stern expand too fast as many good companies have met their demise by expanding too fast during good times only to fall apart when things slow down. Don’t want them to overextend and go under. I would prefer they remain a little cautious and still keep putting out great pins.

#25962 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Stern is not going to stop announcing pins for the next 2 years, regardless of backlog.

Agree but with all the exciting new stuff and backlog any announcement they make is not going to involve a vault edition. So there goes Tron. And there have already been enough hints dropped to determine that BTTF is not in the short term plans (I do think we will see it but would be surprised to see it until 2024, but I do like surprises, but I won’t hold my breath.

#25969 2 years ago
Quoted from BasementFacts:

sub·ter·fuge
noun - deceit used in order to achieve one's goal.

I have no goal other than to participate in a forum discussion. If I end out being correct in my deductions I don’t win anything and if I am wrong in them I don’t lose anything.

Quoted from BasementFacts:

sub·ter·fuge
noun - deceit used in order to achieve one's goal.

6 months later
#33042 1 year ago
Quoted from Saltimbanco:

Was there even a doubt? This is a dream license.

There is always a doubt. Stern hit rock bottom in 2008 when they completely fubarred the Indiana Jones license which is arguably one of the greatest of all time. Thank goodness they have trended up from there (after 2009). They are on fire right now but a good license is only like the cover to a book - so yes there is always doubt. They are turning out some fun games now so let’s hope that continues. Looking forward to the gameplay.

#33147 1 year ago
Quoted from Tyler_Durden:

That's what I'm saying, if every model "on location" is a stripped down version, is that a preferable unit to get people to want to buy a better one, which mind you, they don't even know exists?

You mean like most businesses? Ever gone to a car dealership? Yes, every model has exactly the same options - no choice! Typically you have several trim lines and in many cases can order a mix of option packages. I guess the auto manufacturers never figured out the one model/package suits them all and would maximize profits (I think Former Communist countries tried this approach and it didn’t work very well).

Think about what you just wrote. Different models for different class of buyers works very well and will maximize profits.

But here is the big plus for Stern. With their LE model - they never have to worry about a BOMB because they have recouped their costs even if they never sell many Pro’s. That Limited title causes people to buy before they see/play. So even if a title doesn’t do as well as expected they never lose money (just do not make much). They never have complete busts like CSI, 24 and even IronMan initially. They nearly went bankrupt because of their losses when a title underperformed. The LE model has completely solved that for them. Now they still have to put out fun games but they could tolerate several underperforming games in a row now and not miss a beat. This was not the case in2008/2009.

We may not all like the side-effects of the model (higher prices, unfulfilled demand, etc.) but from a business perspective it is a top notch approach. Stern did not invent it they just modelled it after something that works in many many industries.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 10,499.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 12.95
Machine - For Sale
North Aurora, IL
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 60.00
Hardware
Pin Parts

$ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 16.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PBFan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine?tu=PBFan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.