dad_lg-min (resized).jpg
E497E3E8-872D-4DC9-B95B-17AFBD94F4D0 (resized).jpeg
23DC2D2F-A90E-4CA2-98A1-F19762374E3D (resized).jpeg
FDD39C64-5E43-4A2A-80EF-54E82F1F62E3 (resized).jpeg
Keanu (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #33984 Stern's new factory information Posted by Grantman (1 year ago)

Post #36014 TRAILER: Foo Fighters Pin teaser trailer Posted by Yoko2una (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JustEverett.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6151 4 years ago
Quoted from Ambience:

From Dusk 'Till Dawn, Cheech would have some great callouts. Sex Machine's Gun skillshot. Santanico Pandemonium Boa snake ramp. Punching holes through the bar wall to let sunlight in and fry vampires. A Titty Twister multi-ball feature where a ball gets sucked into a vortex and shot out to a gas station that explodes.

If this happened and featured Salma Hayek, I would have to buy!

2 weeks later
#6377 4 years ago
Quoted from noob-a-tron:

Wondering if it will be a Music Pin to hurt Jersey Jack release of GNR.
Maybe Led Zeppelin or Slayer.

No way Stern releases a Slayer pin...that would be better fit for Spooky.

3 weeks later
#6472 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

I think its not bad. I would like to see more unlicensed themes like back in the day.

Everyone always says they want more unlicensed themes, but then everyone ends up bitching when unlicensed themes come out (ex: Dialed In & Oktoberfest).

#6478 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Dialed In gets a lot of praise from what I have heard.. Oktoberfest just doesnt look very good imo. Never played so not sure

DI does get a lot of praise...for the game play. A majority of people just despise the theme, which is what my post was in reference to. I was strictly talking theme. I for one love DI but hate the theme.

3 months later
#7571 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Plenty of old bands left after Led Zepellen
Good Pinball Band Themes -
Michael Jackson

2 months later
#8475 3 years ago
Quoted from curban:

Dont understand why Tarantino’s movies never ended up in a pin (except homebrews). Kill Bill seems perfect. Crazy 88’s multiball? Five finger death punch wizard?

From Dusk till Dawn, Kill Bill, and The Hateful Eight would all translate well to pinball. Love Tarantino.

#8483 3 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Always thought Brandon Frasier "The Mummy" trilogy would be a great Pinball theme

Who? Just kidding...that dude sucks.

#8506 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

His Mummy movies were WAY better than Tom Cruise's Mummy. Much more campy and fun.

Fraser is totally forgettable in every movie he's ever been in...

hey-drew-its-brendan-fraser-from-the-movie-george-of-27625448 (resized).pnghey-drew-its-brendan-fraser-from-the-movie-george-of-27625448 (resized).png
4 weeks later
#8902 3 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

BM66 and the Beatles are Kapow games they seem to be the thing that jacks up the price http://www.kapowpinball.com/games.html

I heard Joe Kaminkow discuss this on a podcast recently. The price differential is all down to the cost of licensings the IP for the games. Beatles for instance is a very expensive license to obtain. He also discussed how insanely difficult it is to even obtain these licenses outside of just the costs (I remember him giving an example that he sent Christmas cards to a lot of key stakeholders at target licenses for years just trying to maintain contact and preserve goodwill).

I'm not sure if either of these were the actual episode, but here are a couple interviews Joe did with the Head2Head pinball podcast.
http://www.head2headpinball.com/2018/07/03/episode-50-joe-kaminkow-from-kapow-pinball/
http://www.head2headpinball.com/2018/11/05/episode-68-joe-kaminkow-on-the-beatles-pinball/

In going down this rabbit hole, I refreshed my memory. I believe the interview was on the Super Awesome pinball show (EP4)
https://toppodcast.com/podcast_feeds/the-super-awesome-pinball-show-podcast/

#8977 3 years ago
Quoted from snowy_owl:

This would cause problems in competition, I think. Probably also location play. Suppose you just got a replay or beat a high score, then you get deducted points. What does the game do, just take the awards away? I feel like there are better penalties that don't directly deduct points from your score.

But these types of features deemed detrimental to competitive play can typically be turned off.

#8981 3 years ago

Zombie Yeti just shared and old Stern Jaws t-shirt design on instagram with the caption "I need a new one btw *hint *hint"

#8995 3 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Designers & artists don't leak games. All these Jaws puns & jokes from KME & ZY mean you guys aren't getting a shark game anytime soon.

I bet you're right.

2 weeks later
#9564 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

keneda is a fraud... So what exactly are you trying to say?

A fraud of a fraud

im-not-saying-its-fraud-but-it-is-fraud (resized).jpgim-not-saying-its-fraud-but-it-is-fraud (resized).jpg
#9777 3 years ago

I just had a thought on what Godzilla could be a codename for...Zeppelin. Back when the late 90s version of Godzilla came out, Puff Daddy ripped off Kashmir for the main soundtrack. Not sure if this has been discussed before, but it seems like a plausible codename theory.

#9989 3 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

That spinning post looks similar to TOTAN.Also looks like the ball lock needs a bank shot Off the upper flipper to enter is that correct ?

It's like a mix of TOTAN and CV feeding a subway. Looks really cool.

#10064 3 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Premium/ Le offers way to much to pass on with the title. Lifting feature for the upper left flipper to send the ball into the Subway, ramps. That is hardware you can not mod or add later.
Going LE on this one.

I am prem all day on this one. I agree the pro stripped out too much, but the armor on the LE is god awful. I'd rather buy prem and add my own choice of powder coat later.

#10088 3 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

[quoted image]
Hold out for something a little more mature, like elderly men in cat clown makeup.

yancy just killed me with this one

1 month later
#10430 3 years ago
Quoted from Micky:

Why keep wishing for rehashed themes? We already have a great AC/DC pinball. An LCD screen won't suddenly make a game the best of all time. Hell there are a lot of guys who still love their EMs and SS pins and aren't interested in having upgraded versions with LCD screens. Enjoy the game for what it is and stop wishing for a new "updated" game every few years when they knocked it out of the park only 8 years ago.

No reason to vault ACDC. I like the game, but adding updated art and a LCD will do nothing to improve it.

4 weeks later
#10878 3 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

I think more demand will be for the upcoming:
BACK TO THE FUTURE by Stern / Kapow.
The SLE will be 88 total pieces.
They will likely have a Flying Hover Board / Deloreon as the topper/ possibly a interactive Flux Capacitor.
3-level playfield.
Main - set in 1985 / 1955 present themed
Below - set in 1885 western themed
Above - set in 2015 future themed
Can’t wait to hang out in Hill Valley no matter the year!

Is this a prediction? Or is this information from a reliable source?

1 week later
#11288 3 years ago
Quoted from BagAJellyDonuts:

With an alleged surplus of orders for traditional games, why are they doing this?
I don't know if the idea is to honor a commitment to sales points or to grow new ones but the one curse and allure of pinball is (at least to me) that they break constantly and need the owner to know what to do and not do. IOW, I can see how the current supply chain is able to work with the end customer. A game sold by CostCo or a hot tub and poker table store just isn't going to get that sort of attention.
More power to Stern, hope it works and they sell boatloads. Wish they held the license to some of the older games that would be worthy of being remade specifically for the home market. IMO, and Eight Ball DeLuxe or Joker Poker would appeal to older customers that "always" wanted one and now have a reasonable means to purchase one. IOW, a 4k game they know is less a stress than a 8k and up purchase that the casual customer can never figure out.

In a word, Christmas.

3 weeks later
#11970 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Just wouldn't be pinside without all the haters. Us old guys get a pin once in awhile too , I have no interest in tmnt or avengers. But I don't trash them.

I’m 34 and much more excited for LZ than another super hero pin. Really tired of those and love Zepplin.

#12247 3 years ago

One good thing about LZ looking as appealing as a bag of dirty diapers is that slow sales should free up some line capacity to work down the back log.

1 year later
#33732 1 year ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

Actually, it all began Oct 26.... see you in the future![quoted image]

Borg posted this on fb today...chum for the fish. Man I hope they drop BTTF!

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG
2 months later
#35218 1 year ago

My better half wants a boy band pin so bad. She said a mashup of Backstreet Boys and Nysnc is her dream theme

1 month later
#36547 1 year ago

Can't see Stern going public any time soon. That could change in time as they continue to add to their proprietary technology, and dare I say it, additional subscriber services. That's what all the big boys want...consistent, long-term, massive subscriber list and lots of assets. I could see a company like Disney eventually buying out Stern, but I don't see them making Stern a separate publicly traded company.

Back to the next Stern pin...or perhaps more importantly, the obligatory factory Friday

4 months later
#38395 9 months ago
Quoted from beltking:

Yeah I wasn’t bullshitting.
Also save up for Elwin’s next there will be a surprise.

Elwin always has a truck up his sleeve. Cannot wait his next one. If it's BTTF I'll be buying day one. I've tried finding a distro with an LE spot left and haven't had any luck yet.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
1 month later
#40053 8 months ago
Quoted from Pinbarclay:

I don't begrudge a company trying to make as much money as possible (that's, like, what they're there for), but I think Stern has truly lost the pulse of the pinball marketplace. New CEO is making some mistakes.

Normally I disagree when I see these types of comments, as there are always bulls and bears in a given market. It does seem that we are edging closer and closer to a cliff in the pinball market. Stern will keep pumping out anything that makes money as long as there is a market for it (definitely nothing wrong with that). The real question is how much demand is there for a given product? Personally, JP is really high on my list of games I want to add to my collection. I also own several LEs. For me, this is a pass because there are so many premiums out there for below retail for sale and the gameplay is missing nothing.

So if collectors are passing on these games, Stern has to find new purchasers of pinball machines. Everyone I talk to who isn't into pinball is shocked when you tell them how much a game is (especially something like an LE). I imagine it's a pretty hard sell, but there are lots of brands out there that create their own market and successfully sell overpriced items to consumers for years (look at any luxury good like a rolex, Louis Vuitton etc). Lots of consumers out there willing to spend ridiculous amounts of money to set themselves apart from the crowd.

It will be interesting to see if Stern can pull it off, but I think it's more likely to blow up in their face. Only time will tell.

1 week later
#40483 7 months ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Jaws will be announced before Christmas.

Definitely a November announcement, but it will be BTTF. *not me trying to manifest BTTF into existence*

1 week later
#40667 7 months ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

However you can’t ignore Stern’s operating model nor 25 years of observation. To explain this further … Stern builds pinball machine and sells them all to dealers and distributors. Their model ensures 100% of their product made will be sold as it comes off the end of the line. Stern gets 100% of the money in the bank prior to shipping. Whether they make 500 or 1000 or 2000 LE’s, they will all be sold and gone. LOL, Stern doesn’t give a sh@t what happens to games once they leave the factory.
Subsequently the pro’s and premiums Stern builds are 100% sold upon being boxed and cash is then received and the games ship. There are no consequences for overproducing because if one dealer doesn’t want them, another will take their allotment. Stern operates in an artificial environment and that is the reason Stern owns 90% of the overall market and barely has a warehouse.. I don’t think this is legal but it is how Stern has arranged things. Has the above scenario not happened once? No. It is the one thing that has been consistent. Stern controls their dealers and distributors and have all the power. The dealers and distributors have almost zero rights nor influence. Until they revolt and make a stand or we can get government oversight, things will be the same. I’ll bet ten years from now, nothing is different. The dealers and distributors would need to coordinate their efforts, but unfortunately that is illegal too. Customers will moan about prices and readily-available inventory while Stern keeps churning them out, as fast as they can.

Eventually if distros can't sell what they are holding in inventory, they will go bankrupt. Obviously Stern has to consider the consequences of flooding the market with more games than can actually be sold to an end user.

1 week later
#40776 7 months ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Though I'm one of the few who has actually enjoyed the onslaught of the meme's, you did pose an apples and oranges comparison there. Prices and rate of price changes are different things. Just because inflation has slowed down, it's still positive which means the prices still get higher.
$1000, $2000, $3000, $3500, $3750, $4000, $5000. In this series of prices, the next price is always higher. However, between $3000 and $4000 the rate of the price increase decreases. On a chart graphing the rate of increase, the values would be going down in this range. Doesn't mean that prices didn't go up.

Was just about to post a comment point out the apples and oranges thunderbird is throwing out. Let’s see that first graph showing sterns price point in relation to inflation over the same period. Can’t show a 2010 to current chart then drop a last few months decline in inflation rate chart. You’re skewing the information to fit your narrative.

#40861 7 months ago
Quoted from daveddd14:

Yes- where? What a great idea!
frankmac

Pinball is alive and well in Wichita Kansas

#40883 6 months ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Where is this located ?

The Arcade in Wichita Kansas. It’s been mentioned multiple times.

#40887 6 months ago
Quoted from insertcoin:

Sounds like GREAT opportunities for well-positioned Buyers are just around the corner. Time to flip the script on sellers after years of gouging the buyer.

Deals about to be had. I’m going to need a bigger basement

#40889 6 months ago
Quoted from Prince66cali:

I disagree. I don't see the values jumping anytime soon based on demand and production numbers.

My comment was in reference to used prices coming down. Starting to see some deals pop up again.

1 week later
#41207 6 months ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

This may not be the thread for this question, but when did Kaneda become such a "big deal" in the pinball world? I remember a few years ago, he was the butt of every joke and the pinside whipping boy. What changed?

Noobs. I paid attention to kman when I first got into pinball. Doesn't take long to figure out he's just a hype man. It gets old quick.

#41368 6 months ago

It's fine to think of pins as a capital asset, but don't expect them to make you money through appreciation. Yes, some do, but many do not. My goal has always been just try not to lose too much money on the damn things.

1 week later
#41592 6 months ago
Quoted from iceman44:

They jacked up these prices way too fast.
Won’t adjust down to the market.
And it’s like watching a big fat turd swirling down the toilet.
It’s NOT Covid anymore numb nuts.

If the manufactures don't wake up and adjust prices down, there are going to be a lot of games not moving and distros going out of business. I agree completely that they moved prices too high too quick. I get why given what games were selling for on the second hand market, but that shit is over as you said. Tesla has been dropping prices. If they can do it, so can a bunch of pinball manufacturers. Hopefully they wake up and read the writing on the wall.

#41614 6 months ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Thats the other side of the coin, I basically live in Phoenix, Az and the pin scene is insane, so the "pressure or desire" to buy pin is almost non existent. Ive played a Bond ind 60th and A Venom LE just showed up, GTF is new. GTF is fantastic btw.

Something to be said for the crazy few who do buy everything and put them on location. It’s nuts monetarily speaking, but it is fun.

3 weeks later
#42311 5 months ago
Quoted from McDoom:

Just give me Elwin’s next game!!!!

This. Beat Thanos for the first time a couple months ago and thought, “ok I’m probably done with Avengers.” Wrong. Just played it, and it shoots so damn well. The time it takes balls to return on various shots is so perfect during mb. Nothing like having one ball up the center ramp, another on the captain marvel ramp, and another one on the fat ramp. KME is truly the GOAT.

2 months later
#44041 3 months ago

I shared this thought in the Tron VE thread, but definitely has relevance here.

Given Stern's latest announcement they will re-run high demand dmd games, Seth Davis' connections to Disney (owner of Tron rights), and the overall love of Tron as a game, it makes sense Tron would at least be on the short list. Between Ghostbuster, Tron and LOTR, Tron seems like the easiest fit to me. Ghostbusters is a killer theme, but the layout is not exactly a unanimously loved game. I would love if they fixed the airball issues with GB and replaced the dumbass euro lanes that ball hop worse than anything I've ever seen. LOTR seems like a real longshot given that the rights to LOTR were purchased by Embracer for $395m. I can't see Embracer re-licensing for cheap. My money is on Metallica for the first of these DMD re-runs, and I bet it happens in Q1 or Q2 of 2024.

1 week later
#44265 88 days ago

FOMO is dead. We aren't stuck at home mentally masturbating over grainy leaked images asking where we can get and LE or put a deposit down. Glad those days are over.

#44356 83 days ago

My money is on Metallica re-release on Spike 2. Their next world tour starts in May, so the timing seems right.

#44371 83 days ago
Quoted from MacGruber:

A vault/remake doesn't count so timing wouldn't matter. They could do that next week. Unless you would be referring to a completely new game.

I'm expecting the MET "vault" to be treated a bit differently than other remakes. Mainly, as I'm expecting this to be the first of the DMD games run on the spike platform. George has already said publicly that remaking these older platform games takes a lot of engineering, so we know it's coming in some way. Borg makes sense to be as it's been a while since we saw a Borg game. It makes sense to me that the release would coincide with the start of the tour.

#44399 83 days ago
Quoted from mbl1116:

I took his recent comments in a different way. When he said it would be difficult to engineer, I didn't think he meant "we're working on it", moreso, "don't hold your breath." I would not expect a run of DMD games on the Spike platform any time soon (if at all) based on his most recent comments. The rumored Metallica would more likely be an entirely different game.

I could see that as well. Stern has been promoting some of the older rock games a lot lately, which has also played into my guess. It is just that though...a guess. Only time will tell, but it is fun to speculate.

1 week later
#44708 75 days ago
Quoted from gandamack:

Pinsider dad-rock select footwear:[quoted image]

These paired with a pair of pinshades and the dad becomes unbeatable.

#44952 70 days ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I tried the whole “buy a theme my wife and kids would like and play”.
I have 3 girls. Pinball didn’t last long.
STH might be the only game they would want that I have now so…….i give zero consideration to what they might like now when I purchase.

Same. I went that route for a while to get the better half as hook as I am. I don't even buy based on theme alone for my self at this point. Play it, and if it's a good time, buy it. That's all that matters at this point.

1 week later
#45265 59 days ago
Quoted from MikeS:

It's going to be tough to top the original MET pin so why not do a single level design like JB60th or Beatles? I believe Gomez did the Beatles game and modeled it off of Seawitch. I would buy a modern Metallica single level game modeled off Stargazer or Quicksilver. Especially if you could also play the original ruleset.

Remake of Cheetah!

1 month later
#46038 21 days ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Yes but Steve did have a whitewood in the process and I do wonder if some elements may have been used? It is an interesting white wood with Led Zeppelin cabinet(maybe just a coincidence?). I thought I heard Gomez say he scrapped Steve's design but wonder if everything was truly scrapped?

I remember hearing GG say he tried to take Steve's WW and go from there but ultimately scrapped it in favor of a totally new layout.

1 week later
#46449 10 days ago
Quoted from Nicholastree:

Maybe. And could we realistically expect that pin before 2030?

They seem to be shipping a lot of Pulps. Really enjoying the Pulp they put on location here in Wichita.

#46456 10 days ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I really dig Pulp, but have only gotten to play it at the Allentown show. Selfishly hoping it ends up like Cactus Canyone with a gazillion floating around and a crash in price so I can pick one up. Neat game.

Same. I've been holding off on both Pulp and Labyrinth to see if any pop up used for way off retail like all the other games selling right now. I really enjoy playing both, but don't feel the need to rush to buy either one for some reason.

#46460 10 days ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I think the odds of Pulp showing up at a steep discount are much higher than Labryinth. Cactus Canyon announced and took preorders in 2021 with most not showing up until last year, and a few people are still waiting on their LE's I believe. Thats 3ish years for delivery. Labryinth is 1000 machines due to be delivered within a year of announcement and a hard limit at that.
Pulp announced about a year ago and they are just now getting their production numbers up. Will take another year at this rate for them to finish cranking them out. There will be folks with deposits who have long moved on when their number is called.

Not sure pulp and CC are a great comparison. Everyone seems to be going bonkers for the theme. Hard to say at this point on Labryinth. Even the higher demand stern LEs don't hold their retail value with 1000 units. I be Labryinth can be bought under $9K within a year.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 300.00
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Protection
Gameroom Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.50
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Far Hills, NJ
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RavSpec

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 51.45
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Boynton Beach, FL
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9,799.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JustEverett.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine?tu=JustEverett and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.