maxresdefault (resized).jpeg
images (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1713427968712 (resized).jpg
Untitled (resized).jpg
images (1) (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #33984 Stern's new factory information Posted by Grantman (1 year ago)

Post #36014 TRAILER: Foo Fighters Pin teaser trailer Posted by Yoko2una (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Grantman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

280 posts in this topic match your search for posts by Grantman. You are on page 1 of 2.
#15675 3 years ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

BTTF is a little too late now. I designed my own BTTF game about a decade ago, and 2015 was the year it should've happened for real. 80s themes are now moving out of fashion, as the 90s start to take centre stage.

But The Munsters, Batman 66 and The Beatles are timely themes?

1 week later
#15945 3 years ago
Quoted from stefanmader:

i would love a new Back to the Future Pin , but would they make it, when there is currently nothing new about it?

Was there anything new about these recent pinball themes?

Led Zeppelin
The Munsters
The Beatles
Batman
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Willy Wonka
Guns N’ Roses

3 weeks later
#18075 2 years ago

I received an email from Stern today that included this:
ATTENTION Stern All-Access Insiders, there is a very limited number of LE Mandalorian pinball machines available to purchase on the Stern Store now. Only registered All-Access members will have the ability to make a purchase while supplies last. Don't have All-Access? Register and become a Stern Insider today!

Then I found this on their website (sold out):
https://shop.sternpinball.com/products/stern-insider-star-wars-mandalorian-le

I don't understand what's going on here. Are they selling directly or are they allowing people to reserve an LE that they then buy through a distributor?

#18263 2 years ago
Quoted from Medic:

Or stop sucking up to distros and get it directly from stern.

How many LEs did Stern sell directly (to "insiders" who joined their club) vs. through the distributors? Does anyone know?

#18265 2 years ago

Something needs to change with this Stern LE situation. There are a bunch of Mando LEs in the marketplace already asking $12k to $16k. That's insane. As a collector (not a flipper), I hope that Stern ramps up the LE production so that only collectors (or operators) are buying them and demand doesn't outstrip supply so much that the LEs are difficult to buy when they first come out. From Stern's (and distributor's) perspective, it doesn't do them any good that there are people willing to pay $9k for a game and can't get them. I know somebody is going to say that defeats the purpose of a "limited edition" if they are making 1,000+, but are you buying a game to play or are you just hoping that the value goes up? These are toys/entertainment, not investments.

#18269 2 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

Remember when a game came out and was introduced only one table from Stern, Data East, Bally, Williams, title came out no classifications just the one game title...
“Those were the days”.[quoted image]

Yes, that was much simpler but I don't think they are going to return to that when they can make thousands $ more per game with the current approach. Maybe the "limited" label needs to go away and these games are sold like cars--you can buy the base model, the mid-level model, or the souped-up version with all the bells and whistles. If they sell more souped-up versions than the others, why would anybody have a problem with that?

#18296 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Then why not a premium?

Yeah, for some games the premium is just as good (depending on the artwork). I don't care about the LE plate, the signature, etc. On some of the recent games, however, the artwork (backglass and side art) is dramatically different/better on the LE, along with custom armor, art blades, upgraded speaker system, AR glass and shaker.
I'd rather just have the option to buy what trim I want without dealing with distributors that have basically pre-sold all of their LEs, outrageous markups by other distributors or flippers, trying to get on lists, etc. It's all a headache for what is supposed to be a fun hobby.

3 months later
#19953 2 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Also Stern look at prices of Mando LE on the used market and it's clear at the moment that there is a lot of excess money sloshing around in the pinball market.

That's why they should make more LEs. Would anyone besides flippers mind if they made 1,000 vs. 500 LEs?

#19955 2 years ago
Quoted from hiker2099:

Can we please get a 007 Bond game...Player could advance through the different actors who've played bond or it could be straight up Bond vs Spectre.

A 50th anniversary James Bond game would have made sense but that didn't happen. 2022 is the 60th anniversary so hopefully they are planning on making one. It is their last chance while there are "only" 6 James Bond actors across all 25 (official) movies since Daniel Craig is done and they are going to name a new JB actor soon.

2 months later
#22996 2 years ago
Quoted from Noma2017:

Is it possible to buy directly from Stern? Is that a way to potentially get an LE of a new title?

That's what they'd like you to think so you'll sign up for their Stern Insider thing and pay $40/year for nothing.

3 months later
#25708 2 years ago
Quoted from Boblabla:

Bond has little appeal to a younger generation. think of how much money a bond movie, whichever one they're on now, compared to a marvel movie that breaks box office records. Theme is a big if not the biggest player now.

Not only is James Bond one of the most successful movie franchises in history, but the latest James Bond movie (No Time to Die) was the highest grossing movie worldwide last year after Spider-man and 2 Chinese movies I've never heard of: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/year/world/2021/

In other words, the latest James Bond movie made more money last year than F9, Godzilla, Venom, Black Widow, Ghostbusters, The Matrix or Dune.

1 week later
#25896 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

What is MSRP on RUSH LE? Is it still $11,099 like the press release from the announcement in January?

Yes. See https://sternpinball.com/game/rush/

#25933 2 years ago
Quoted from ZoraShinoda:

There's a name for this phenomenon that I can't think of, but it's basically you don't release information about your new products coming out too early or else it's slow sales of your current product

It's called the Osborne Effect:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect

1 week later
#25980 2 years ago

FYI: "On January 1, 2024, we'll see the expiration of the copyright for Steamboat Willie—and with it Disney's claim to the film's star, Mickey Mouse."

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2019/01/a-whole-years-worth-of-works-just-fell-into-the-public-domain/

2 weeks later
#26120 2 years ago
Quoted from JackG:

It might be James Bond. This is the 60 year anniversary of the franchise. They can roll out their 200 60th anniversary Bond pins for 25k each.

I'm surprised that it wasn't done for the 50th anniversary. Now for the 60th anniversary is their last chance with the first 6 Bonds (Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton, Brosnan and Craig). Yes, I hope that they are all represented (a Daniel Craig/No Time to Die-specific pin would disappoint a lot of fans). Ideally all 25 movies would be incorporated somehow.

#26126 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

But BTTF and Bond are very much 35+ age group themes.

Billie Eilish says otherwise.

#26134 2 years ago

2 weeks later
#26478 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

Where’s BOND!?

00_24_24 (resized).png00_24_24 (resized).png
1 week later
#26564 1 year ago
Jaws_james_bond.jpgJaws_james_bond.jpg
1 week later
#26814 1 year ago
Quoted from frankmac:

I could go for a new and greatly improved Avatar pin that is to todays levels..

Did anyone want an Avatar pinball machine the first time around? There are so many good/popular themes mentioned in this thread why would they try Avatar again? Take your pick of BTTF, Bond, Jaws, Marvel (Venom, Dr. Strange, Black Panther, a new Spider-Man, etc.), a new Batman, Cobra Kai, Top Gun, Mission Impossible, a new Simpsons (Treehouse of Horror), etc.

3 weeks later
#27349 1 year ago
Quoted from J85M:

It is sacrilege they never gave Moore an Aston, at least once!

He drove one in The Cannonball Run but I guess that doesn't count

1 week later
#27497 1 year ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

They don't do that now..... why would they change their behavior later?
Case in point:
Stranger Things: Breaks Netflix viewing records last month: Archived right before season 4 is released.

They could definitely sell more Stranger Things. The reviews were mediocre when it first came out (from what I recall) and by the time they finished the code and people were saying it was really good, it was out of production. I'd like to get a premium myself but I'm not paying $12k (if you can find it) for what was a $7400 game new 2 years ago.

#27529 1 year ago

Well, I'm paying Stern $40 per year to be an "insider" for the tiny chance that I can order an LE directly from them. This is not that much different (except it's a one-time fee). Yes, it's awful but that is the state of the hobby right now.

#27538 1 year ago

I thought the (resale) prices for all of these toys were going to go down in Spring/Summer 2020, when millions of people were suddenly out of work. They didn't. The exact opposite happened.

#27575 1 year ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

Has anyone heard about the car toy in Bond? Seems more likely that would be the DeLorean mech in BTTF in my opinion. Or is the car a really big deal in James Bond...big enough to make it the main toy?

The Aston Martin DB5 is a pretty big deal. It was in a bunch of movies starting with Goldfinger where it had all the neat gadgets (guns in front, rotating license plate, tire slasher, ejection seat, bulletproof shield in back, etc.).

IMG_8711 (resized).jpegIMG_8711 (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#28167 1 year ago
Quoted from J85M:

Stern shot their load on stranger things way too soon. Season 3 and season 4 especially is one of the best seasons, Murray, Yuri and others are brilliant characters. Murray and Hopper could have done call outs.

Call 618-625-8313 (in the US) if you want to hear Murray's answering machine. I'm sure somebody has put the recording on YouTube or somewhere if you are unable to call.

1 week later
#28580 1 year ago
Quoted from V8haha:

My thing with them ,as I have a few on my radar that I would jump for , is the fear of a vault coming out and devaluing the one purchased .Am I nuts or is this just part of pinball ?

These are toys, not investments.

1 week later
#29046 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

Bond and Back to the Future would be great themes for a pin, but doesn't seem very Stern.

BTTF flyer front (resized).jpgBTTF flyer front (resized).jpg

BTTF flyer back (resized).jpgBTTF flyer back (resized).jpg
#29055 1 year ago

Maybe they mean musical? There is no new BTTF movie (and there shouldn't be).

Let's hope Stern doesn't pull a Tommy "On Broadway" pinball machine.

#29129 1 year ago

That video appears to be in the Stern factory/office and the BTTF poster he points to is personalized for Gary (and he said it was signed by Bob Gale). He has to be aware of how popular the franchise still is. I think/hope it's just a matter of time.

#29134 1 year ago
Quoted from RPZ:

There is 100% a new one on the works is what I think and the way he was expressing when talking about it seemed to me like he was trying hard not to say or make any faces that’d give it away!

Yes, Gary is very disciplined about not saying anything about future titles. He knows to not cannibalize the current games they are making/selling. If someone knew that BTTF was coming, they might cancel their order for Deadpool/TMNT/Elvira/whatever.

#29189 1 year ago
Quoted from DKong:

When was the last JAWS, BTTF movie, hardly current popular culture

There is literally a BTTF musical being performed in London right now and it is coming to New York soon: https://www.backtothefuturemusical.com

There is so much BTTF merchandise that there is a website dedicated to only that: https://backtothefuture.store

Akedo has made 4 different pairs of BTTF shoes in the last 2 years: https://us.zavvi.com/elysium.search?search=akedo+future

There are events every year for BTTF stuff, including a signing event with some actors coming up in August: https://www.backtothefuture.com/events/2022/09/19/comic-fortress

If nobody was buying this stuff, they wouldn't be making 25th/30th/35th anniversary Blu-Ray sets, etc.

#29254 1 year ago

The odds that Stern starts making widebody games anytime soon seems extremely low. When you add a new size playfield, you need a new size cabinet and glass, and shelves and assembly stations for those items need to be larger, also. The boxes the games are shipped in would change as well. You add a whole new level of complexity that there is no justification for. They can't even keep up with the current demand so why would they risk making a fundamental change to their games and related factory equipment? If they had spare factory space and labor, maybe, but that's obviously not the case right now.

#29433 1 year ago

What do you think about this for James Bond LE?
500 of Sean Connery LE
500 of Roger Moore LE
500 of Daniel Craig LE

Same game but different artwork, sort of like what they did for Transformers.

I like Pierce Brosnan, also, but you have to draw the line somewhere and Connery (6), Moore (7) and Craig (5) made the most Bond movies (with Brosnan 4, Dalton 2 and Lazenby 1). This is not counting the non-EON Never Say Never Again movie that Connery did.

#29571 1 year ago

Now I have to mention that I would love a pinball based on the TV series Community that Dr. Ken was in.

#29857 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

They are drawing attention to the time machine portion of Rush on their Twitter image.

hottub.jpghottub.jpg
#29919 1 year ago
Quoted from yancy:

If you pay attention over the years, you learn which posters actually know things. Of course grail theme bros only hear what they want to hear.

So you're saying...

holygrail._smjpg (resized).jpgholygrail._smjpg (resized).jpg
#29931 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

I can also understand why a bunch of old white dudes on a pinball forum don't get it though.

Are there any women on Pinside? What % do you think?

#30083 1 year ago
Quoted from Prince66cali:

I think Bond and Jaws are a bit dated.

Yes, it's been months since a James Bond movie came out.

#30266 1 year ago

This reminds of when people "reply all" to an email just to say "stop replying all!"

#30394 1 year ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

Word is it’s not Venom, Bond, Or BTTF. Although, those are coming.

That would be surprising considering all the chatter about Venom and Bond coming up next. Jaws probably isn't ready yet. So what is the word?

#30466 1 year ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

Someone just posted the question on Sterns Facebook page. Do you think they will go the route of Tommy and make a game based on the broadway musical.

That would be an absolute nightmare. Who would want that?

#30469 1 year ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

I agree but it might be the only way to get the license to get it done. BTTF is a no win for the consumer. It will never live up to what people want. Its either going to be a fantastic shooter with no real assets (Jurrasic Park) or a limited use lunchbox license (Led Zeppelin). I don't see any chance that we see a game with character likeness and movie clips and sounds and we get GOTG.

Doesn't the BTTF slot machine have pretty much the full assets? There are no MJF callouts but his face is on the game (unlike the Data East pinball machine).

#30515 1 year ago
Quoted from J85M:

Last minute change around? If it is not Venom next there must have been a license hold up, last I heard stern had 3 completed games pending licensing.

You'd think they'd get the licensing 100% done before even starting on the game design/sound/art/animations. Otherwise, they could waste a lot of time and money for nothing. If it's just the final approval of the completed game, then that shouldn't take long (unless there are a ton of revisions).

#30716 1 year ago
Quoted from honkbahh:

Real life gentleman with decorum... Freak in the forums

I wanted to put a link here to The Onion article about something like "online lunatic actually reasonable in real life" but I couldn't find it.

#30811 1 year ago
Quoted from SimplePin:

I have never understood this. 22,500 and impossible to find under $12k

Same with Indiana Jones. I hope CGC remakes both.

#30845 1 year ago

I'm hoping for James Bond, and it would make sense for the 60th anniversary, but if not it just leaves me more time to save up for these expensive toys. Be positive, people!

6 James Bonds (resized).jpg6 James Bonds (resized).jpg
#30868 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

What would you guys think about a Back To The Future game using assets from another BTTF game. Tell-tale games did a neat retro stryled point and click game about 10 years ago that would work. You wouldn't have the issues with the original actors licenses (they are not in it) and there are already lots of graphics to use. It would still be the same theme with the same characters, just different voices and a cartoonish style.

People want this title because they love the original movie/trilogy, not the videogame. IMO, it's pointless to do it if you are not going to have art, audio/video clips and music from the original movie. It's the same for James Bond or any other licensed property--if it's a generic "secret agent guy" (without Connery, Moore, etc.) then why bother getting the license? I know it would still sell just because it has the name of a popular franchise, but it would be a huge disappointment.

#30893 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinwalker:

I am a huge James Bond fan. I watch all the movies once a year starting in November. I have bought the complete set numerous times (VHS, DVD, BR and soon 4K).
My top 3 are:
Live and Let Die
Man with the Golden Gun
Goldfinger

Yes, Goldfinger would be a much better choice if it was based on just one film. I'm still hoping for a Bond pin that includes Roger Moore, however.

#30910 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

except that Godzilla did not have scenes with slaves working in high end hotels (usually black) acting as servants of the powers that be (mostly always white) neither have sexist jokes and other sexual innuendo. Godzilla was for kids, it is campy and ridiculous and it is fun whereas Bond is just a dated version of our society that is better left behind.

There have been 25 James Bond films over the past 60 years. You are lumping them all together as if they all are loaded with racist and sexist scenes. If you don't like them, don't watch them and don't play the games based on them. No pinball theme is for everyone.

#30921 1 year ago
sayracist (resized).jpgsayracist (resized).jpg
#30931 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinwalker:

Surely they would be cheaper to license as I am sure Sean and Daniel would want a nice chunk. Hopefully its just one more week to wait and see!

You mean the late Sean Connery's estate. Coincidentally, he would have been 92 years old today!

#30960 1 year ago
Quoted from kell:

Great, now Stern has us playing wordle.

McFLY!

#31140 1 year ago

Looks like nothing today. They posted/retweeted a fake/homebrew "Beaches" theme game on Twitter a little while ago.

#31156 1 year ago
Quoted from JCrusher:

I do wonder how easy Netflix is to work with as a licensor though. You don’t really see a lot of stranger things merch. They had some for season 4 but not a lot. Barely any stranger things legos compared to other properties. I wonder if it’s just Netflix that’s the problem

Plenty of ST merch if you are looking for it:
https://us.zavvi.com/franchises/stranger-things.list
https://www.target.com/c/stranger-things/-/N-s5c9y

I think they could easily renew the license and sell more premiums at the current prices. Why waste $500k+ developing a new pinball machine when you have a current title ready to go? Also, season 5 is coming...eventually.

#31179 1 year ago
Quoted from richierich85:

Can someone answer me this... With all the 200+ staff working at stern factory, how has anyone not seen or heard of the next title and mention or released the information to a family friend or here?? I'm sure someone must know right?? I mean confidentiality is one thing, but spreading a rumour is another....

If the game announced on Tuesday is Bond or Venom, then word did get out. There are multiple people posting what they hear from "insiders" but this info is mixed in with a lot of unreliable rumors, misdirection and hopeful wishes.

#31400 1 year ago
Quoted from MaxAsh:

Are you just referencing stuff like when he asks if she wants something 'shaken or stirred' for Christmas? Ha. Just have to wait and see. I'm still in the BTTF hopeful camp, but any good game would be welcome.

She said she's guessing Venom but they said they have no idea (nothing confirmed). They are also expecting an announcement from Stern this week (as we all are). Then some line later about shaken or stirred (Bond). So it's anybody's guess. We should know for sure in 2 days.

#31446 1 year ago

Random James Bond/Thunderball-related video (just the beginning, really) for your enjoyment while waiting another 24 hours to find out the next title (video clip from "Late Show with David Letterman," 10/25/93):

#31468 1 year ago
Quoted from Sugar:

Dr. No Bond pinball machine

No chance. There isn't even an Aston Martin in Dr. No. I'm hoping the pinball covers multiple movies and Bond actors, but if I was going to pick one movie it would probably be Goldfinger.

#31500 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

Once again... No teaser last Friday means no announcement this Tuesday. The reveal is at least 8 days away. Have a martini, shaken not stirred, and come back Friday to see if there is a teaser yet.

I would be very surprised if nothing happened in the next 2 days. They've had 6 months to plan this out. Also, an announcement doesn't mean they have to ship the new game this week or anytime soon. They can still announce the title without committing to a particular date/timeframe to get games to customers.

#31520 1 year ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

You guys are starting to give the crazy cat ladies a run for their money.

Instead of Toxoplasmosis, we all have Toxopinosis.

#31600 1 year ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Maybe I missed it, but has stern said they've releasing in August, or was it just mentioned on a podcast? I think we won't see a new game until Oct

Yes, this is asked every 2 pages of this thread. They released a statement on 2/23/2022 saying that there would only be 2 cornerstones this year, Rush and one in August. If you want to know what a cornerstone is, search this thread.

#31632 1 year ago
announcement (resized).jpgannouncement (resized).jpg
#31669 1 year ago

Did I win yet?

James Bond bingo 2 (resized).jpgJames Bond bingo 2 (resized).jpg
#31675 1 year ago

I made this for your enjoyment:

Pinside Bingo (resized).PNGPinside Bingo (resized).PNG
#31687 1 year ago
Quoted from Gutterghoul:

Its most likely a pinball machine

bold prediction (resized).jpgbold prediction (resized).jpg
#31775 1 year ago
seinfeld pinball (resized).jpgseinfeld pinball (resized).jpg
#31795 1 year ago

So I guess this is where we are:

caddyshack-judge (resized).pngcaddyshack-judge (resized).png
#31817 1 year ago
Quoted from McDoom:

Give me Goonies!!!

I don't know who made the graphic below (probably somebody on this thread) or when, but 2 down and 5 to go:

the next Stern pinball machine (resized).pngthe next Stern pinball machine (resized).png
#31857 1 year ago

There was no delay in charging my credit card $40 to renew my Stern "Insider Connected All-Access" membership. A lot of good that does.

#31881 1 year ago

Isn't it odd that Stern recently highlighted an interview with the Duffer brothers about Stranger Things? I guess maybe they just point out anything that mentions their pinball machines. Anyway, here is the link to the Stern August 2 update, and the interview on Collider (with an interesting part below):

https://sternpinball.com/2022/08/02/stern-of-the-union-address-august-2022/
https://collider.com/duffer-brothers-masterclass-stranger-things-pinball-machine/

Collider: For people that have not actually played the Stranger Things pinball, it's really good. It's just, it's hard to find. It's a limited edition. You know what I mean.

ROSS DUFFER: They did a terrific job with it. It's really great.

MATT DUFFER: I think there's a pinball version of IMDB, and I think called…Pinside.

MATT DUFFER: Pinside, yeah. And we're definitely at least in the top 30 or 25, or something. It's a good machine. It's a great machine and it keeps getting better. They keep updating it. I've learned so much about pinball, but they update it. They patch it. You can patch it like you patch video games. I mean, you know this. But I didn't know that.

ROSS DUFFER: It just keeps improving.

MATT DUFFER: Yeah, it just keeps improving. It's very hard to get the ball in the mouth of the Demogorgon though. I don't even try. Because you're going down right in the middle of the lane and I think it's just super dangerous. I just don't do it anymore, and I think that's the key to my success. I just stay clear the Demogorgon. I just let him roar at me and then go away.

#31954 1 year ago
Quoted from Fsdre:

Factory Friday video just dropped, can anyone see any clue?!?!

Same Star Wars games in the background as earlier is all I see. I don't think they will make the mistake again of having any unannounced games in the background of unrelated videos/photos.

#32031 1 year ago
Quoted from benheck:

Again, if you can figure out a way to make a BTTF pin without the likeness of Doc or Marty let Stern know, I'm sure they'd be glad to do it! Otherwise IT AIN'T HAPPENING.

The BTTF slot machine has both of them on there. See post above: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine/page/641#post-7116968
The person that did the licensing for the slot machine is rumored to be doing the pinball machine.

#32121 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The licensing for Bond slot machines in Vegas is:
Thunderball
Casino Royale
Diamonds are Forever
Goldfinger
Live and Let Die
Tomorrow Never Dies
Die another Day

That's interesting because it includes 4 different Bond actors (the ones with the most movies).

https://www.sggaming.com/games/scientific-games/james-bond-game-series

#32252 1 year ago

BUT WHICH BOND???

6 James Bonds (resized).jpg6 James Bonds (resized).jpg
#32294 1 year ago
Quoted from V8haha:

I’m sure they will do cartoon artwork which will help but still.

Cartoon artwork for James Bond? You must be joking.

#32400 1 year ago
Quoted from kermit24:

$7299 Pro, $8599 Premium, $11,499 LE.

I'm pretty sure Premiums were $8900 already.

#32451 1 year ago

I found this on Franchi's FB page (https://www.facebook.com/Metaluna5Media) from earlier this year. Caption is "An illustrated mural I did for Mr. Joe Kaminkow's car collection garage."

Franchi mural (resized).jpgFranchi mural (resized).jpg
#32500 1 year ago
Quoted from MasterBlaster:

It will be interesting to see what happens as the economy tightens up.
Folks who in the past were able to buy a title that is lukewarm to them may now take a pass until it’s a dream theme.

The hobby has definitely grown in the past few years with demand outpacing supply and creating the pinflation we are all aware of. However, there must be a saturation level reached at some point. Nobody has unlimited room (or money). Stern, JJP, CGC, Spooky, American and others are cranking out a lot of games at very high prices and it cannot continue forever.

#32665 1 year ago
Quoted from Jarson:

Lets let Stable Diffusion AI figure it out...

That's some nightmare material right there.

#32683 1 year ago

From video above:

1:49:20: "All of your favorite villains will be there."

2:06:50: "DB5. No surprise, you'll see it in the game, complete with ejector seat."

Also, George Gomez is 67 years old?!

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#32715 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Pretty sure he is in prison for raping a woman.

The actor that died 40 years ago?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Sakata

#32774 1 year ago
Quoted from 80sMan:

Where was that posted? I think it's a fake.

It's delayed a week. Multiple posts about it in the Bond thread.

#32785 1 year ago

That jetpack on a stick is going to suck so many people into dropping quarters in.

FYI, it appears that the Pro version (with the yellow Dr. No side art) doesn't have that feature.

#32821 1 year ago
Quoted from Ty-Arnold:

Its pro, premium, le. What do you men by Thunderball version? It's not different versions like Spooky.

The Pro version has Dr. No side art. The Premium has YOLT side art. The LE we haven't seen yet. Of course, the jetpack was in Thunderball so they probably aren't going to switch that out on the LE for something else. It's likely that the scuba diver is added somewhere on the LE version, but that's just a guess.

#32840 1 year ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

This brings the count to... ONE person that likes the art so far. Hahaha
To each their own.

Are you taking a survey? I like it. I'd much rather they use the original poster art, etc., than have an artist create their own interpretation of the movies (which is real crap shoot).

#33133 1 year ago
Quoted from Lounge:

Who the fuck is James Bond?

Some random bird book author.

bird book (resized).jpgbird book (resized).jpg
#33141 1 year ago
Quoted from Tyler_Durden:

See what I'm saying here... let's not attribute them almost going out of business to selling one model. I'm sure there were other factors.

Other factors I'm guessing that had an impact on Stern:
1) Playstation, Xbox, etc.
2) Terrible themes/licenses (Rollercoaster Tycoon???)

#33205 1 year ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Wait. Is that a mock up or the real deal?

It was found on the 007 official website. Seems legit.

#33231 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

And to add to you Stern inflation, supply chain issues, one can now pay 500 bucks to get the same LE number. LOL

The only LE number that should be slightly more expensive than a regular LE on this new game is 007/1000, unless Gomez kept that one for himself.

#33234 1 year ago
Quoted from wackenhut:

So what is the deal, is this Elwin Model just another addition to the 3 and then there is also going to be a SLE? Or is this considered the 4th SLE and there will only be a total of 4?
Pro
Premium
LE
Elwin
SLE?

Pro
Premium
Thunderball LE
60th anniversary (Elwin)

Maybe Goldfinger LE at a later date.

#33239 1 year ago
Quoted from yancy:

...or a Goldfinger premium, or super LE, CE, etc.. He didn't say which model.

I think it's interesting/telling that the LE plate says Thunderball LE instead of James Bond LE. So a Goldfinger LE later on would make sense.

LE numbers (resized).jpgLE numbers (resized).jpg
#33332 1 year ago

I have a question about Stern's warranty on new games and don't see a better place to ask this so I'll do it here. The current warranty appears to be 2 months on the boards and 9 months on the display and that's it?
Has anyone had a recent NIB game show up with missing/defective/broken parts other than boards or display? If so, how did you handle it?

#33405 1 year ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Won’t happen. Good like getting all the actors likeness and movie footage.

Happened for the slot machine.

#33458 1 year ago

It is puzzling that they are so unprepared in having this ready for the James Bond 60th anniversary (tomorrow, October 5). It's not like they didn't know when it was. They also announced in February that they were skipping the April cornerstone so they've had the whole year to work on this. Are the license holders really the reason for all the delays?

#33495 1 year ago
Quoted from Apollo18:

Mr Larusso, come with me if you want to Live!

Will there be Miyagi-Do, Cobra Kai, Stingray and/or Eagle Fang limited editions?

Eagle Fang (resized).pngEagle Fang (resized).png
#33505 1 year ago

For those waiting on games to be built this month, I just got this from a dealer: "Stern had to halt production as they were waiting on parts to come in (boards in particular). The boards came in today so they will be testing and building again next week."

#33508 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

The other interesting thing is that Bond and especially Bond 60th are definitely a collaboration with Joe K, but there is no mention of Kapow anywhere?

Why would you think Kapow is affiliated with either Bond game if it wasn't mentioned anywhere?

2 weeks later
#33719 1 year ago

Any Community fans? With 6 seasons and an upcoming movie, there is plenty of content for a pinball machine. The Lego set idea just passed 10,000 votes so Lego will consider making the set.

For those not familiar with the series, it's a comedy set in a community college and starred Joel McHale, Gillian Jacobs, Danny Pudi, Alison Brie, Ken Jeong, Yvette Nicole Brown, Jim Rash, Donald Glover (Childish Gambino) and Chevy Chase. The series is streaming on Netflix, FYI: https://www.netflix.com/title/70155589

#33728 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I had no idea they premiered a BTTF musical last year in London (that's coming to the US). It looks super-cringe, so if there's a pin it will definitely be better than this...

I went to the BTTF Secret Cinema event in London in 2014. It was like a county fair, concert, movie and play all at the same place, which was a pretty cool and unique event. They acted out a bunch of different scenes from the movie, including some with the DeLorean driving around the town square (the attendees were all in the middle of the square at the time). I have no interest in just a play/stage musical that is basically a low-budget reproduction of the movie.

#33756 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

I hope so too, but why would this magazine article make it any more likely?

Because Olivia Wilde is on the Tron pinball machine. Jason Sudeikis was in The Mandalorian series. He was also in a Foo Fighters video so that is clearly coming, too. Don't you see? IT'S ALL CONNECTED.

it's all connected (resized).jpgit's all connected (resized).jpg
#33783 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

You are talking to an operator. I make MORE money when the code is unfinished because players keep coming back every time I update. Any other questions?

How would the average customer in a bar (where are your games?) know that a pinball machine had unfinished code?

#33819 1 year ago

This was in the November newsletter (https://sternpinball.com/2022/11/01/stern-of-the-union-address-november-2022/). Today I learned that you can report bugs directly to Stern.

Status of Code:

We are continuously working to update and improve software for our machines. There are always code updates and bug fixes in various stages of development; we will release them upon update completion. If you would like to join our mailing list for code updates, please send an e-mail to [email protected]. If you do encounter any bugs please feel free to provide information to [email protected].

#33880 1 year ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

With these issues you'd think they create a Generic Pinball Cabinet and just swap the playfields out with some trans lites and call it a day. ...
Guess they'd have to figure out a new way to crate and ship. They could make a mechanism that would make it damn easy to plop standard playfield in game... Just think of all the playfields you could populate and ship in 1/2 the space.... Shipping cost down. and more product going out.
Use magnetic side art and blammo.

I think Multimorphic is doing this. Also, the Pinball 2000 platform at Williams tried something similar.

1 week later
#33984 1 year ago

Stern is moving to a larger building nearby next year.

"Under an agreement approved by the village board this week, Stern Pinball will get the funds in installments over at least the next six years as part of its move to a renovated 163,875-square-foot warehouse at 1001 Busse Road."
"Johnson touted the TIF deal as an overall benefit for the sprawling business park, since Stern's move will prompt upgrades to a building that's at least a decade old, while a data center that shares Stern's current building will have room to expand. Stern's new facility also will have a showroom and retail store."
"The lease is set to begin in October 2023."

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20221117/8-million-quarters-to-continue-playing-elk-grove-gives-stern-pinball-incentive-to-stay-in-town-expand

#33997 1 year ago
Quoted from Rizmo:

Since there is still a chip shortage. Do you think the new norm for stern would be 2 cornerstones a year instead of 3? They are playing catch up on almost everything. It seems like this might be a reality so they can clear their backlog.

For 2023, I think it is very possible. They haven't even revealed the 60th anniversary James Bond game yet, and those will probably not be made until January or so. Whatever game they skipped in 2022 is probably ready to go, but they don't have the capacity or parts to make everything right now.

#34007 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

A lot of money to invest in something that could crash in 10-15 years. Yes, only a few worthy rock bands left to do and then what?

Is the world going to stop making movies and TV shows?

#34013 1 year ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

wooohooooo ... get ready for a Lego BTTF pin ?[quoted image]

Hell no! Get that Lego crap out of here!

#34021 1 year ago
Quoted from starfighter:

Eastwood ... either Dirty Harry era films or the western era films

Eastwood could also be BTTF.

clint eastwood (resized).jpgclint eastwood (resized).jpg
#34059 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

That's a tall order. The last time Stern did that (multiple movies in a series in one pin) was the terrible Indy Crystal Skull pin where they didn't bother to finish the code to actually put the Crystal Skull mode on the playfield insert in the game. It was a much simpler time from a licensing standpoint.

The James Bond pinball machine covers 6 movies.

#34164 1 year ago

This is what I see:

pinside ignored (resized).PNGpinside ignored (resized).PNG
#34221 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

This is a head-scratcher because the original Avatar pin was nothing to write home about.

Yeah, they only made 250 LEs and they sell for less than $7k today.

#34279 1 year ago

Gomez on the Marco stream today.

He said until they are "caught up" so it's not definite how many they will release in 2023, but it does seem unlikely that there will be a new game announcement in January, at least.

1 week later
#34472 1 year ago
Quoted from Rizmo:

If Spooky can afford a IP like Scooby Doo. I don't see why Stern can not shell out the money for a big name. If a top tier IP costs $1,000,000 and lets say Stern sells 5,000 games that's about $200 for the IP per machine. That is a very realistic and doable number. If they can afford Star Wars and the Beatles. Then why are they are putting out IPs like Godzilla and Rush.

What top IPs are they missing?

Also, in case you haven't noticed, Godzilla is the top-rated pinball machine of all time. It will probably be the best-selling game of the past 20 years when they are done making them. About 2,300 Pinsiders own a Godzilla (Pro/Premium/LE).

#34480 1 year ago
Quoted from Rizmo:

You are comparing apples to oranges. Gameplay to titles. Im not denying Godzilla is a good game. What I am saying is if Stern can get the Star Wars IP which is one of the top 5 of all time. I think they can afford a better IP than their last 3 games.

James Bond is one of the most popular franchises in history.

#34494 1 year ago

That's not adjusted for inflation. Almost half the movies came out in the 60s and 70s.

In any case, James Bond certainly qualifies as a top IP even if it's "only" the 22nd all-time highest grossing franchise.

Would you prefer a Hello Kitty pinball machine instead?

1 week later
#34621 1 year ago
Quoted from mr9865:

No Elwin in 2022 and 2023! Did he retire?

60th anniversary Bond is by Elwin.

Jaws was the rumor for the next Elwin cornerstone.

1 week later
#34850 1 year ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

Let's just get this Bond stuff out of the way........ it's been here since Sept.
Five months of Bond...... com'on Stern we're so tired of this theme already. Give us something new.

Bond 60th anniversary game is revealed tomorrow! You're welcome.

#34867 1 year ago
Quoted from acakoning:

Today is the release of the new James Bond Super LE pin right? Will someone with all access please publish a picture in this treat?

Yes, and there is a separate thread for that game:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/james-bond-60th-edition-sle-super-limited-elwin-hype-thread/page/37

You can also just check Stern's website later today:
https://sternpinball.com/game/james-bond-007/

1 week later
#35002 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

sorry for the noob question, but what's the Disney/Stern connection? I keep seeing reference to the "Disney" guy (usually derisively). Is that Gary Stern somehow?

seth davis (resized).PNGseth davis (resized).PNG
#35006 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Has Danger been promoted to cornerstone titles? I assumed the Danger game was another HomePin.

Yes, it's a cornerstone.

Quoted from Damonator:

Also 2 cornerstones doesn't mean there couldn't be a vault (or Kapow?) release.

Correct. Gomez suggested that they might run Stranger Things again but I'm guessing that wouldn't happen until the final season is released in 2024.

#35009 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

At the prices they are going for, Stranger Things vault would be just them printing money. Though I think it depends also highly on if their license for ST even allows them to do it or they would need to spend big money on more.

Get a new license, use the same physical game design/art (with tweaks, as needed), update the code with some new video and possibly new modes and they are good to go. Why spend hundreds of thousands of $ on a new game design/art/code if they have one that works with a title that is in demand?

#35011 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Ghostbusters was queued up to be the next vault - but that was their plan a year ago - I suppose they could pivot to Stranger Things, but doubt they would expand it to include more seasons as all the artwork/inserts are tied to Season 1/2.

I saw the rumor about GB, and there is a new movie expected to be released on December 20, 2023, but doesn't it seem unlikely that they make more of a DMD game (vs. the current architecture)?

#35031 1 year ago

This has probably been mentioned before but Wallace & Gromit would be a great theme, probably for a smaller company like Spooky. Lots of content to work with.

#35076 1 year ago
Quoted from smokedog:

Tron checks all those boxes. Plus it's been rumored for awhile by some insiders, and was widely panned when it came out (it was my first NiB!). Tron 3 is supposed to be out this year, with Jared Leto starring.

IMDB says:
In Development
Expected December 19, 2025

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6604188/

#35160 1 year ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

I’m not lumping you in. Seems to me Gen X should be itching for 90’s era themes just as bad if not more so than millennials.

seinfeld pinball (resized).jpgseinfeld pinball (resized).jpg
#35181 1 year ago

Not everything has to be an anniversary. My guess is that BTTF and/or Jaws come out before 2025.

#35200 1 year ago
Quoted from Rizmo:

I see what you mean but it will be a long time now before we get another Elwin at Stern. We have Danger, Borg, Eddy that still need to release their games. Since Gomez confirmed there will be only 2 cornerstones in 2023 That means we will be looking at late 2024 before another Elwin if he stays with Stern.

First of all, Elwin did the 60th anniversary Bond which was just released. Second, you are assuming that 2 cornerstones in 2023 means those are the only new games that Stern will make. Based on previous rumors, there is a good chance of a boutique (non-cornerstone) game coming out at some point.

#35206 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

Sooner or later one of these companies is going to have to go out on a limb and produce a hip-hop pin for the under 60 crowd.

Two thoughts:
1) Maybe they approached Drake, etc., and they weren't interested.
2) Maybe Drake, etc., was interested but wanted too much money. That's why there is no Prince pinball machine.

The few pinball companies that exist only put out 1-3 titles per year so they can't take huge risks with new themes. Stern could take a chance at this point (and maybe they are working on it) but probably not any other company.

#35224 1 year ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

Whenever they start out with an assumed instant blockbuster it's always a flop.

Why do you think that happens?

I'm not sure there are enough examples to make this conclusion. Are you thinking Avatar? IJ4? What else?

#35310 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

I agree - unfortunately we don't see many new hit comedies or funny cartoon series anymore.
Sad world we live in where everyone is offended by everything.

If they can make Big Juicy Melons, they can make a lot of other themes.

#35376 1 year ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

My top three animated choices are The Incredibles, Futurama, and Scooby-Doo.
I swear I'll buy the first one of those three that gets made into a pinball machine.

Uhhhh, you are in luck....
http://shop.spookypinball.com/scooby-doo-collector-s-edition-initial-payment-2000-p160.php

#35386 1 year ago

The Nielsen numbers for most streamed TV shows of 2022 came out. I think updating the Stranger Things pinball is a no-brainer. Also, how about Seinfeld? A comedy from Stern would be a new and welcome direction.

top streaming content 2022 (resized).jpgtop streaming content 2022 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#35554 1 year ago
Quoted from Jaytech10:

Several distros have bond LEs still. Either the price is too on not a popular theme.

It's the price. Several dealers I had contacted in between the 007 teaser and the official announcement that had told me they were all pre-sold later contacted me and said they had LEs available. People dropped out because of the huge price increase from the previous titles. Coincidentally, I just received an email from Marco that the LE is now in stock with them.

#35589 1 year ago
Quoted from Diamond:

You are not far off. I’ve been told to expect my Foo fighters LE to be at or near 15k when it’s announced this December.

Your dealer is preparing to rip you off.

#35595 1 year ago
Quoted from Diamond:

You are not far off. I’ve been told to expect my Foo fighters LE to be at or near 15k when it’s announced this December.

Quoted from Diamond:

I think it has more to do with 5.1 audio. 4 speakers & sub as well as a larger video display being unveiled

I'm skeptical (about the price). If they can't sell 1,000 James Bond LEs at $13k, they are not going to sell 1,000 Foo Fighter LEs at $15k (or $13k).

Also, a larger video display and new audio system would indicate a whole new platform. Are they moving to Spike 3 already?

#35607 1 year ago
Quoted from Aussiepinwiz:

Any intel on how many Bond LEs were manufactured? All 1,000 or less?

I assume they made all 1,000 but several dealers still have them in stock. For example:
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-55V2-11

#35686 1 year ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

If in fact it’s venom and Foo Fighters for 2023 new cornerstones this year, this will be the first year I will not buy a new Stern Pinball in my entire presence of getting into the Pinball hobby…. 30 years. Pretty sure I’m not alone at that thought.

I have a feeling that there is going to be a third game this year, just not another cornerstone. I have no inside info but it makes sense that they are planning on doing something else in addition to those 2 games.

#35798 1 year ago

World’s Biggest Pinball Machine Maker Expands After Bump in Demand
https://www.costar.com/article/1684457330/worlds-biggest-pinball-machine-maker-expands-after-bump-in-demand

'“The business has been growing at 20% to 30% per year, and we expect that growth to continue for the foreseeable future,” said Peterson, declining to provide revenue figures.'

I wish them the best, but as they say in the finance industry, past performance is no guarantee of future results.

#35815 1 year ago

Stranger Things is the only vault that makes sense. I don't see how they are going to make more of a DMD game like Indy or Avatar (or less likely, Tron or Metallica) without completely redoing the software and electronics. I guess they save some effort by using the same artwork and playfield, but why not just make an entirely new game (especially considering the low ratings of both IJ4 and Avatar)?

#35920 1 year ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

I could also see a Green Day pin being a commercial success. Long career with a big fan base. High energy music that lends it self well to the excitement of pinball. Easy to find 10-14 recognizable songs.

I think Green Day is going to happen at some point by some pinball company. I don't know how long it will take, but it seems inevitable.

#36028 1 year ago
Quoted from Straight2VHS:

Jack Danger and Zombie Yeti on a Foo Fighters pin? The LE’s have to all be spoken for already. Hoping for a premium at this point.

Nothing against Foo Fighters, but if they (dealers) couldn't immediately sell all 1,000 James Bond LEs at $13k, I'm sure you can get a Foo Fighters LE. Start contacting dealers and getting on lists. I had several dealers contact me weeks after Bond was released (and supposedly all pre-sold) telling me they had games available.

#36130 1 year ago
Quoted from Ty-Arnold:

I have a friend who owns a location and knows several distributors. He said the distributors were not impressed with Bond. I like it though.

I'm sure the Dr. No translite has not helped. Mostly it's probably the incomplete code and word of mouth that it's not very good, the same as Stranger Things in the beginning. I'd like to ask Gomez or someone at Stern why they keep doing this. I think maybe 2 games in the last 20 have shipped with 1.0 code.

#36147 1 year ago

Never mind

#36300 1 year ago

Looks pretty cool! I'm happy for the FF fans that are getting this. I think a lot of others will be in even if they are neutral on the band. As usual, I wish I had more room and money.

#36306 1 year ago

press release:

Foo Fighters and Stern Pinball Announce New Rock and Roll Pinball Machines!

CHICAGO, IL – February 28, 2023 – Stern Pinball, Inc. unleashes a new line of pinball machines celebrating and created in cooperation with Rock and Roll Hall of Fame class of 2021 inductees Foo Fighters. The Foo Fighters pinball machines are available in Pro, Premium, and Limited Edition (LE) models.

Foo Fighters first stepped onto the world stage in 1995 with their classic self-titled debut album. Over the course of their career, the band has released 10 studio albums, amassed over 32 million records sold worldwide, won 15 Grammy Awards, were recipients of the first-ever MTV “Global Icon” award, and were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2021. One of the biggest headliners on the global stadium, arena and festival circuits, their music will soon begin filling gamerooms and entertainment locations in pinball form.

Stern’s Foo Fighters machines bring the Foo Fighters concert experience home as players are immersed in an epic pinball adventure featuring 15 iconic songs spanning the band’s expansive catalog, including All My Life, Best of You, Breakout, Everlong, Holding Poison, I’ll Stick Around, Learn to Fly, Monkey Wrench, My Hero, Run, Something from Nothing, The Pretender, This is a Call, Times Like These, and Walk.

More than two years in the making and with creative input from the band’s own Dave Grohl, Nate Mendel, Pat Smear, Chris Shiflett, Rami Jaffee, and the late, great Taylor Hawkins, Stern’s Foo Fighters is a top-shelf pinball machine—and so much more. An entire new universe has been developed with jaw-dropping hand-drawn artwork and custom animations including “Foo Fighters Saturday Morning Action Time!”—a fictional TV series chronicling the band’s quest to save rock and roll… AND THE WORLD! Join Foo Fighters on this rescue mission to thwart the evil, mysterious alien Overlord and his army of bots. Search the Area 51 upper playfield to break into and unleash pinball chaos. Jump in the van for a righteous tour of duty to save humanity from extinction and let rock rule!

Foo Fighters pinball machines include Stern’s award-winning Insider Connected™ system, which enables players to interact with the game and a global network of players in a variety of ways. Through Insider Connected, players can track progress, earn new game-specific achievements, engage with the player community, and participate in promotions and Challenge Quests. Insider Connected also provides an operator-focused toolset to drive location play through Location Leaderboards, build player loyalty, analyze performance, make adjustments remotely, and maintain the machines. Registration for Insider Connected is available at insider.sternpinball.com/.

Limited to 1,000 machines globally, the highly collectible Limited Edition includes the Expression Lighting System™. With 96 intelligent RGB LEDs, the Expression Lighting System enables full color spectrum control. Positioned in pockets cut into the cabinet sides to provide color themed full playfield illumination, this integrated playfield lighting system is synchronized to custom light shows specifically designed for every song and dynamically responsive to game events. The LE version also includes an exclusive Rock-Battle inspired full-color mirrored backglass, exclusive full color high definition reflective foil decal cabinet artwork, custom high gloss Overlord green powder-coated pinball armor, a custom designer-autographed bottom arch, exclusive inside art blades, upgraded audio system, anti-reflection pinball playfield glass, shaker motor, a sequentially numbered plaque, and a Certificate of Authenticity signed by Stern Chairman Gary Stern and President & CEO Seth Davis.

“Partnering with Foo Fighters, we created an entirely new pinball universe under the backdrop of incredible music. The energy from this unique, fast and flowing game design, choreographed with spectacular lightshows and stunning hand-drawn artwork has created the ultimate gaming experience,” said Seth Davis, President & CEO. “Get connected today and become a hero.”

The new Foo Fighters pinball machines will be on display and available to play at a special debut launch event at The House of Internet party during SXSW March 10th-12th at The Pershing in Austin, Texas.

Pricing and Availability:
Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (“MSRP”)*:
*MSRP for sales to USA end-users, before any VAT, GST, Sales Tax, Duties, or other taxes.
Pro Edition: $US 6,999
Premium Edition: $US 9,699
Limited Edition: $US 12,999

#36346 1 year ago
Quoted from skink91:

Literally had no idea this pin existed. Cool!

I just looked up Atari Road Runner. Too bad they only made 2 prototypes before it was canceled.

#36386 1 year ago

Next Cornerstone Stern pin due out around 11 July 2023!
Stern delivered Foo Fighters almost 4 weeks behind the predicted time (28 February vs 30 January).This only counts Pro/Premium/Le pins. I have no idea what the next cornerstone pin will be, but most likely guess is Venom as of today (3/1/2023)

Thanks for keeping track of this but your estimates are not going to hold up since Stern already said only 2 cornerstones again in 2023. However, I'm pretty confident that we are going to see "something else" in addition to the 2 cornerstones this year.

What is your estimate for the next boutique game?

#36391 1 year ago

when is the first stream? that would be the deciding factor for me

LE stream tonight 6pm CST. Pro stream tomorrow 6pm CST.
https://www.twitch.tv/deadflip

#36430 1 year ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

really hope the next guy knocks it out of the park for you!

But you are the next guy since you are on both cornerstones this year. Unless...there's a third game coming from Stern this year?

#36506 1 year ago
Quoted from Fsdre:

So is venom really next????

snake BTTF (resized).pngsnake BTTF (resized).png
#36529 1 year ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

No better time to ring the bell. They aren't going to get the stars in alignment like this ever again.
Now it's just a race to get the factory done and the IPO filed before the economy goes belly up.

Sadly, I think you are right. An increasing number of competitors/products chasing the same (relatively small) number of customers who can spend $10k on a toy will also ensure that they are not going to continue to have 30% annual increases in revenue.

#36545 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

You must love disappointment? Eddy's next game is Venom. Granted it's been delayed a couple of times, so he is probably done with it and working on his next game after Venom for a while now. The people in the know here on pinside and some insiders that I know have no knowledge of BTTF in the pipeline. The next three cornerstones are basically always known, so this puts BTTF at least late 2024 or early 2025 IF AT ALL. Sorry. I really wish it would come out next just to pull the Band-Aid and get it over with.

It's probably going to be a boutique game, not a cornerstone. I'm confident that something else is coming out this year in addition to the 2 cornerstones. Gomez has hinted at some "surprises."

#36563 1 year ago

Gomez talked about Stranger Things again in "Free Play Pinball Podcast Episode 21: Hanging With Our Homie Gomie" (https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-zbn8u-13b0c9f).

Key quote from Gomez: The good news is that you are probably going to see them again from us. I don't know when.

2 weeks later
#36801 1 year ago
Quoted from Zeusflurry:

Anyone know or who resides in Chicago area the progress of the new Stern Factory building or estimate for completion??
Just curious.

The building is not new. They start their lease in October.

#36819 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinball_Eddie:

Interesting, guess the rumors about an Elwin’s Jaws in 2024 weren’t true.

both (resized).pngboth (resized).png
#36835 1 year ago
Quoted from Fsdre:

If they actually come out with a jaws and BTTF what will people post about in this thread???

Goonies, Harry Potter, Pokemon, Sonic, GI Joe, He-Man/MOTU, Beetlejuice, The Matrix, Top Gun, various vaults that will never get made, various bands that I've never heard of...

#36836 1 year ago

Here is today's Stern post:

jersey (resized).jpgjersey (resized).jpg
#36853 1 year ago

#36854 1 year ago

Also spotted some pinball machines in the Lucasfilm office:

#36888 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

Didn't Gomez say two cornerstones this year?
Also with trying to make foo, and then working through IMDN, DP, JP backlogs it doesn't seem like they left a hole in their production schedule until the end of q3?

Yes, two cornerstone games this year but that does not necessarily mean 2 games* total. Does anyone else think there is going to be a surprise additional game this year? I'm guessing Venom (or whatever) around August and then a boutique game around November when they get into the new factory.

* I'm not counting Bond 60th because that was announced in September 2022.

#36903 1 year ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

So what’s Elwin’s spring game going to be ?

Jaws 19 new (resized).jpgJaws 19 new (resized).jpg
#36908 1 year ago
Quoted from matt68061:

Unfortunately… I totally expect another hefty price increase as well. How long did it take FFLE to sell out?
I mean…why wouldn’t they?

1) How well did that work for Bond LE? Yeah, they were completely "sold out" at launch, also.

2) Why not just make the games $20K? Because even at current prices, they are running out of customers. There are plenty of other games that you can buy for less: Pulp Fiction for $10k, Scooby for $10k or less, Cactus Canyon, Galactic Tank Force, Fathom, Spinal Tap, or a thousand existing titles, or buy a Pro/Premium instead of an LE. Nobody has unlimited room or money, and there are only so many people that can spend $10k on a toy.

My advice: Don't push your luck, Stern.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#36911 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

There are almost 2 million people with net worth over $10 million. And SIXTY million people with net worth from $1-10 million. I don't like it, but I think Stern has room to run, and I expect them to continue to try.

Sure, but how many of those people are interested in pinball? There are 98,533 Pinside accounts total (since 2002). There are only about 48,000 people with Insider Connected accounts (and some families have multiple accounts in the same household). Those are people that have actually signed up and played at least 5 games on a Stern machine. This is a pretty small/niche hobby compared to most. There are only so many new machines that the pinball community can buy each year, and that number becomes lower when the prices go up.

1 month later
#37146 11 months ago

Does this bar with the DeLorean in the wall still exist?

I found it: Headquarters Beercade in Chicago
https://www.hqrivernorth.com/

#37154 11 months ago

Joe Kaminkow States that Jersey Jack Pinball has the Harry Potter License
https://www.knapparcade.org/post/joe-kaminkow-states-that-jersey-jack-pinball-has-the-happy-potter-license

#37215 11 months ago
Quoted from Saltimbanco:

On that topic, I asked ChatGPT to create 10 unlicensed pinballs..

It's hard to come up with something truly original. These are all vague titles that remind me of either games that have already been licensed/made, or possible future licensed titles.

1. "Phantom Pursuit"
The Getaway

2. "Wild West Rampage"
Cactus Canyon

3. "Cosmic Crusaders"
Guardians of the Galaxy

4. "Time Warp Clash"
Back to the Future

5. "Gizmo Showdown"
Gremlins

6. "Deep Sea Adventure"
Fathom, or maybe Avatar 2

7. "Retro Riot"
???

8. "Enchanted Quest"
Lord of the Rings

9. "Mech Mayhem"
Transformers

10. "Lost World Legends"
Jurassic Park

#37257 11 months ago
Quoted from IronMan8Bit:

What is the estimated release date of Eddy's machine for Stern's next cornerstone?

August/September

2 weeks later
#37322 10 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Bond 60th - Sega and Stern made Bond pins

Gottlieb did the first 007 James Bond pin.
Edit: I forgot about GoldenEye.

Elwin on BTTF would be amazing. It would certainly make sense to have the top designer on what will likely be an expensive boutique pin.

#37360 10 months ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

Pinball wise, not a huge overlap between the home pinball collector and the dnd group, I'd imagine.

Really? Middle aged guys (the pinball demographic) didn't play D&D back in the day (or now)? I did, back in the 80s.

FYI, a D&D pinball was made back in 1987:
https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/dungeons-and-dragons

But yes, the movie did not do well at the box office though it will probably do OK on rentals/streaming/disc sales (those combined are bigger than the box office revenue for most movies and have been for many years). It just came out on Blu-Ray.

#37373 10 months ago

Gary is at the Licensing Expo in Las Vegas. Enjoy!

Barbie (resized).jpgBarbie (resized).jpg
#37379 10 months ago

Different manufacturer, but everyone here seems to like speculating on licenses. What do you think Homepin's next game is? Quote is from an article on Knapp Arcade:

"According to Mike, the license that Homepin has secured for Game Three is for an "extremely famous" movie, but it comes with a lot of problems because it is "owned by about six different players" many of which don't get along. The license that Homepin has secured is only with the main players and it doesn't allow any movie clips or quotes."

https://www.knapparcade.org/post/homepin-plans-to-reveal-sub-5-000-licensed-game-based-on-extremely-famous-movie

2 weeks later
#37934 9 months ago

I just watched the latest IJ and would have ZERO interest in a IJ pin based on that.
I think we all want the original trilogy again or bust, but that will never happen.

I thought the rumor was it was going to be based just on Raiders of the Lost Ark. We'll see!

Edit:
Here is where I saw it: "Stern almost certainly has Venom all ready to go and likely an Elwin Jaws and an Indiana Jones (Raiders of the Lost Ark only?) pin in the pipeline for 2024."
https://www.knapparcade.org/post/pinball-heaven-capcom-s-big-bang-bar-in-pre-production-to-be-released-this-summer

#37946 9 months ago

I'm trying to plan out my expenses. How many of these games do you think will get made by 2025?

1) Indiana Jones/Raiders of the Lost Ark
2) Back to the Future
3) Stranger Things vault or whatever
4) Big Bang Bar remake (at least officially announced)

#37994 9 months ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

I reached out to Netflix directly….. although they did not give me any ETA they said restocks are coming.

Netflix said restocks of what are coming?

#38059 9 months ago
Quoted from Br81zad:

A lot of hyperbole there for a film that did quite well in its time, but is truly pretty boring in retrospect.
If one of the big designers took a crack at it, I'm sure they'd deliver a game that was fun to play. The theme just doesn't carry today. Might as well make a Casablanca themed pin while we're at it.
I really don't want to drag the film through the mud, because I DO like it. But there is nothing about it that makes me desire a pin themed after it.

It's all about execution. Congo and The Shadow are two highly-rated pins and those movies were flops.

#38683 9 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Prediction: Tron Aeres gets cancelled & becomes a tax write off. After Indiana Jones was an overpriced flop, are they really going to spend that much or more for a franchise that has never made money?

Movies have made more money on DVD/Blu-ray sales & rentals (now streaming) than at the box office for the past 15 years. That doesn't include merchandising, which is big for Tron and huge for Indy. Everyone overstates the importance of how movies do at the box office.

#38741 9 months ago
Quoted from beltking:

He’s actually correct on all this except He man I haven’t heard this so don’t think that’s true.

He previously said Jaws and Indiana Jones next year. What do you think?

#38806 9 months ago
Quoted from JWP72:

Is Venom the last new release for the year? Excluding any vaults that is

It's the last "cornerstone" of the year, according to what Stern said at the beginning of 2023. There is probably going to be *something* announced later this year. It's unlikely they are going to go 6 months between game announcements, especially when they are moving to a larger factory.

#38833 9 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

It doesn't include the marketing budget. The rule of thumb is 2x the production budget = profit point. Tron Legacy basically broke even.

Again, those numbers don't include DVD sales & rentals, and a lot of merchandising. They obviously made money.

#38842 9 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

…and that was over a decade ago. The business model has changed, and big budget movies are suffering if they don’t make their money back during the theatrical run.

So there are digital downloads and streaming subscriptions instead of DVD sales & rentals. They are still selling the product. And merchandising still exists.

If nothing else, they are creating content for their (and other) streaming services. Disney+ has 150 million subscribers. They have to keep adding content or people are going to drop it.

#38844 9 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

They’ve lost SOOOO much money from streaming. Spending tons to send content to streaming is NOT paying off. On top of not paying off, it’s sniffed out a big chunk of the digital download & physical media market. What they’re making now from home media is TONS LESS than what it was pre-streaming, and it’s shaking up the whole industry. Plenty of stories about it to read if you don’t believe me. Streaming has become a financial burden for most of these companies & creatives. Read up on the writers and actors strike.

I believe you. They are doing something seriously wrong if they are losing money with 150 million subscribers.

#38907 9 months ago
Quoted from Jaytech10:

Same old fan shot layout.

Somebody here had a great quote a while back that went "The only thing Pinside hates more than a fan layout is when it's not a fan layout."

#38923 9 months ago
Quoted from Nicholastree:

Wonder if they thought about putting a mech in the middle of the PF and then decided instead to have that triple target swing out from the right side for the premium. IMO, a moving target across the PF would've been more interesting (Drac Attack, the crane in BM66).

Mick on a stick, Bond on a wand, Venom on a...I got nothing.

#38927 9 months ago

For anyone looking for a game that is slightly cheaper, Pinbox 3000 has a Kickstarter going for a couple of new games. These are great for kids to put together. I'm getting one for my niece.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pinbox3000/neon-wizard-and-house-of-shadows-pinball-games-by-pinbox-3000/

#39022 9 months ago
Quoted from mbl1116:

The vault rumors persist but make very little sense. Maybe it seemed like a smart move when games were selling, but the seemingly better move would be to scale back and let the dealers sell some of this inventory.

Stern isn't moving to a larger factory so they can scale back.

'“The business has been growing at 20% to 30% per year, and we expect that growth to continue for the foreseeable future,” said Peterson, declining to provide revenue figures.'

World’s Biggest Pinball Machine Maker Expands After Bump in Demand
https://www.costar.com/article/1684457330/worlds-biggest-pinball-machine-maker-expands-after-bump-in-demand

#39184 9 months ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Market saturation. At some point, it will happen, it's inevitable with the amount of new pins being produced. You can argue about when, but there is no denying that it will.

I agree. I don't think there are enough customers to buy all the new games that are coming out. I made this list:

GAMES CURRENTLY IN PRODUCTION OR ALREADY ANNOUNCED:

Stern (Venom, FF, Bond, Rush, Godzilla, Jurassic Park, IMDN, AIQ, Elvira, Deadpool, Mandalorian, Star Wars)
Jersey Jack (Godfather, Toy Story, GNR)
CGC (Pulp Fiction, Cactus Canyon remake, possibly more MMr)
Spooky (Scooby-Doo, TNA)
American (Galactic Tank Force, Legends of Valhalla)
Multimorphic (Weird Al’s Museum of Natural Hilarity and 16 other game kits for the P3 platform)
Dutch (The Big Lebowski)
Haggis (Celts, Fathom, Centaur)
Pinball Bros. (Queen, Alien)
Homepin (This is Spinal Tap, Thunderbirds, Chinese Zombies)
Quetzal/Bitronic (Super Hoop, Tokyo Drift, Captain Nemo)
Pinball Adventures (Elements, Foresaken Ninja, Punny Factory)
HEXA (Space Hunt)
Turner Pinball (Ninja Eclipse)

#39284 9 months ago
Quoted from BallLocks:

Theme ALWAYS sells. Some games ALSO sell because they are fun pins (and can make up for a "meh" theme), but theme can sell sight unseen.

This is why Stern doesn't do original (non-licensed) themes. They sell containers full of games to other countries based on theme alone. Gary has said this many times.

#39331 9 months ago
Quoted from Zen_Monkey:

I expect my kids to be the same. My oldest has Autism I’ve been trying to use pinball as a fun way to help with hand eye coordination as well as baseball.
And let me tell you autism may create a different kind of barrier but you better believe I know his little mind is picking up my habits lord help him lol.

One of the best pinball players in the world, Robert Gagno, has autism. There was a documentary about him a few years ago called Wizard Mode.

It looks like the whole film is on Youtube:

#39399 9 months ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Has Jaws been rumored a Kamikow pin .If it is , does that count as a cornerstone ?

No. Stern-Kapow collaborations, including The Beatles and Batman 66, are considered "boutique" games and not cornerstones.

The timing of Venom's announcement (July), Stern moving to a larger factory, and not much on the schedule for November all point to the likelihood of another game announcement before the end of the year. It'll probably either be a vault/re-release (like Stranger Things) or a boutique game.

#39560 8 months ago
Keanu (resized).jpgKeanu (resized).jpg
#39573 8 months ago

"The Stern Team has grown by one...we're incredibly pleased to welcome Jeremy Packer, aka Zombie Yeti Studios to the family!

Jeremy joins Stern as a project artist after having created the art packages on some of the most iconic machines in Stern history, including Foo Fighters, Ghostbusters, Deadpool, Avengers: Infinity Quest, Godzilla, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Iron Maiden, and most recently, Venom.

Welcome to the team, Yeti!"

#39576 8 months ago

I mean, he is talented and all but it would be nice to have more diversity or things might start to look same same...

I believe Chris Franchi (below) and Randy Martinez are still contract artists that they use so it's not going to be 100% Zombie Yeti on Stern's games.

Franchi BTTF art (resized).jpgFranchi BTTF art (resized).jpg
#39592 8 months ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

What are the benefits ? Inquiring minds....

Here's one opening for a "model maker":
https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=3e590af3a8ac54cd

Benefits
401(k)
Dental insurance
Employee assistance program
Health insurance
Life insurance
Vision insurance

Weird that it doesn't say holidays or vacation.

#39669 8 months ago
Quoted from ChuckRock:

Is BTTF even that requested/hyped or is it like the same small group of people spamming memes and bringing it up over and over again on this thread?

The hype thread has had 145 Pinsiders participating. There have been long waiting lists with pinball dealers for years for a BTTF game. The actors are still doing conventions and are a very popular draw. The merchandising is huge.

Also, I don't know how this is calculated, but BTTF is #1 out of 199 potential pinball themes listed here: https://www.kineticist.co/hype-index

#39689 8 months ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Has it been speculated that Elwin may be retheming Bond 60th? Perhaps into BTTF or Jaws? And then working on a new cornerstone simultaneously- Like John Wick?
I thought I read somewhere that Elwin had 2 pins coming next year. So this would make most sense to me.

If they were re-theming an existing table design then there would be nothing for him to do.
One Elwin game design (probably Jaws) has been done for months, and he said it has 4 flippers. He is currently working on the game after that (probably BTTF).

#39701 8 months ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

Now..... look at the list.... see something missing? Ah yes.... it's the 80's!!!!!
Most of the X'er's existence is in the 80's as kids and teens!!! Where's the pins!!!!!

Ghostbusters, Indiana Jones, and Transformers have been done. 2/3 of the Star Wars trilogy was during the 80s but more 80s themes are definitely needed.

Quoted from Br81zad:

To add to the potential 80's themes: Die Hard, The Princess Bride, Scarface, Beetlejuice, Spaceballs, Ferris Bueller, Bill & Ted, Airplane!

These, plus Goonies, BTTF, maybe Gremlins, maybe The Blues Brothers.

#39704 8 months ago
Quoted from djsoup:

Gremlins definitely has cross-generational appeal, and all the elements of a great theme: nostalgia, characters, toys, music, family friendly, etc.
[quoted image]

I just found out about these:
Gremlins: Secrets of the Mogwai (animated series from 2022)
Gremlins 3 (sequel in development)

#39795 8 months ago

Here are the results (so far) of a survey posted on Facebook (by he who shall not be named) about potential pinball themes. There were 2,667 votes (you can select more than one answer).

FB survey results (resized).jpgFB survey results (resized).jpg
#39867 8 months ago
Quoted from Inpw:

So, being a die-hard Connery Bond fan, I passed on both versions of Bond, and it wasn't even a tough decision.

What's wrong with the James Bond cornerstone game? The code has really come along and there are used Pros in the $6k range, which is a great deal. Fun game with a ton of modes & clips from 6 Connery movies.

#40128 8 months ago

Just in time for Christmas...
This is an actual movie that exists for some reason.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B08GQ1Z7HD/

Santa Jaws (resized).jpgSanta Jaws (resized).jpg
#40200 8 months ago
Quoted from Molon_Labe:

I mean Foo Fighters? Common, that band is ranked 80th all time according to most ranking sites. I don't dislike the band per say and actually own the machine because its a great shooter and the theme is not 100% band focused, but it doesn't seem like the "best" choice when your only making a few titles a year. From the same era, there are bands with higher rankings and more album sales that would have seemed like a safer bet.

If you own the game then they obviously made a good choice, right? It's all about execution. Congo and The Shadow are two of the biggest movie flops of the 90s and yet they are highly ranked pinball machines.

The only other good choices (IMO) left for bands that I can think of to make a pinball machine for are Van Halen and Green Day. A lot of the suggestions here are either pretty niche bands that would not appeal to a lot of people (Slayer, Motorhead) or probably wouldn't make for a good pinball theme (Pink Floyd, The Eagles).

#40298 8 months ago
Quoted from Molon_Labe:

I have seen conflicting rumors on it being Jaws or Masters of the Universe. Are those the two that most people are hedging their bets based on insider info/leaks or is it just speculation?

Jaws has been rumored to be coming for a while and is probably the next new game. It's probably first in 2024. I'm guessing that there is going to be a vault/re-release of something else around November of this year.

#40364 8 months ago
Quoted from chad:

Probably not with limited assets. ( BTTF) Fox didn't want his face on the original game. Wonder how he is now , if approached?

The Michael J. Fox licensing has been discussed here and on the BTTF thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bttf2-hype-great-scott/page/23#post-7585790

#40409 8 months ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

The Nov BTTF rumor would follow Elwin’s Jaws. Am I to read the tea leaves to learn Elwin is on BTTF also, in the same fucking year?

Yes, the rumor is 2 Elwin games in 2024.

#40413 8 months ago
Quoted from beltking:

There’s around 50 sle jaws I heard. Prob 20k on those. Hope way different then le and with topper.

Is this not a cornerstone, or are they moving to a Pro/Premium/LE/SLE model for future cornerstones?

#40430 8 months ago
Quoted from JordyRamone:

Do you guys feel like a collapse might happen?

There are a lot of companies cranking out $10k games and only so many people can afford to (or want to) spend $10k on a toy. The slowdown is already happening.

#40465 7 months ago
Quoted from MacGruber:

They announced along time ago only 2 cornerstones this year and no Elwins.

If it's a boutique game (with an SLE, like Beatles and Batman66), then it's not a cornerstone and could come out this year. It sure seems like something else unannounced is going to be made in November based on the production schedule. It would also be odd if they went 6 months without announcing a new game (not counting the 500 JP LEs).

#40488 7 months ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Do you have a link to this “announcement”? Or at least a screenshot?
I am skeptical. Not to mention things change when games flop.

It was an interview with Gomez in December:
https://www.knapparcade.org/post/details-on-stern-pinball-s-two-2023-cornerstone-games

#40588 7 months ago
Quoted from beltking:

Watch them make more stranger pros instead of premiums. I was told too many projector issues and getting those in stock.

The projectors are widely available now, which is one reason people think the re-release is happening. There is no point in making the game again if it doesn't have the projector and UV kit.

https://www.pinballlife.com/stranger-things-projector.html
https://littleshopofgames.com/shop/translite-backglass/stranger-things-premium-projector-for-pinball-machine-509-2009-00/

#40617 7 months ago

Please take The Ultimate Pinball Theme Survey (2023):
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-ultimate-pinball-theme-survey-2023

#40644 7 months ago
Quoted from MiniPinHead:

Being new to pinball, what is Pinball2000? Just lack of interest? If anything, the opposite is happening

2 weeks later
#40853 7 months ago

Wow, seeing some FF and Bond LE games listed for $11k or less. Already see a NIB Venom LE for $11,900 including shipping. Is this the end of flippers and speculators? I hope so. Looks like LEs at MSRP with free shipping might be the new norm (a bunch listed for Venom) but I wonder if this will hold up for future themes.

#40859 7 months ago
Quoted from Stevemoerke:

It seems that the mod stores are starting to stock and take orders for Stranger Things mods again. Toppers are now coming again as well. Seems weird for a game that is not available.

Not available yet...

#40879 7 months ago
Quoted from stefanmader:

Just imagin a giant chong li head that opens the mouth and shakes his head from left to right and moves the eyebrows. Yes.

I first read this as meaning Tommy Chong.

#40949 7 months ago
Quoted from TylerTheTired:

There's a great documentary called "Beyond The Lighted Stage" that used to be on Netflix but I can't find it anymore.

#40956 7 months ago
Quoted from Ty-Arnold:

Is Jaws official. Or just people acting like they know?

I think we all know what's coming.

Jaws 19 new (resized).jpgJaws 19 new (resized).jpg
#40985 7 months ago

Now that Stern is getting caught up on demand for pretty much everything (Godzilla Premium excepted)...

I see plenty of GZ Premium either NIB for MSRP (or a couple hundred less) and used for less than MSRP. I think they are pretty much caught up.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds?s=1&ad_machine_keys%5B%5D=2987&ad_what%5B%5D=machine&ad_wantedforsale%5B%5D=forsale#results

Time to move onto an updated Stranger Things!

#41054 6 months ago
Quoted from beltking:

you guys are right on stranger run but dealers don’t know shit yet. They are just hearing it’s happening soon.

Correct. One of my dealers just emailed me back and said they haven't heard anything from Stern yet.

#41091 6 months ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

We're all just guessing, but my guess is Jaws performs much like Venom. The market is saturated, and Stern has pushed prices to near JJP levels. Jaws LE at 15k will sit just like Venom. That's my bet. Time will prove me right or wrong

According to multiple pinball theme surveys, the only theme more desired than Jaws is BTTF:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-ultimate-pinball-theme-survey-2023

Venom, and especially comic book Venom, seems like a real niche theme to me. LEs are still available for Bond, FF and Venom, so the large price hike definitely has something to do with it, but I don't think you can compare Venom to Jaws in popularity.

#41122 6 months ago
Quoted from kool1:

If true I hope that's not the beginning of the end of Pro machines. That would be a massive price hike from Stern.

We might see the boutique model for Jaws and BTTF, but I doubt they are dropping the Pro for every title. $7k is already a lot of money for an operator or a new collector to spend on one game.

#41133 6 months ago
Quoted from kool1:

Probably right but I know Stern doesn't make much on pro games so I always worry they will eventually and quietly phase them out.

That would be incredibly short-sighted. If they want to hook collectors in their 20s and 30s (the future of this hobby), they need to have entry level games. There is plenty of profit in the Premium/LE games for the "enthusiasts." Plus, they can make up the margins on toppers, art blades, shooter rods, etc.

I was also thinking about how I have not seen many JJP games on location. If you are an operator and choosing between $7k games and $12k games to put on location, which would you choose?

#41166 6 months ago

Universal is going to go with Stern for Jurassic Park and Jaws, but with some little company in China for BTTF? Right...

#41182 6 months ago

I only listen to punk rock, Huey Lewis and the News, and Marvin Berry.

You forgot Edward Van Halen.

#41276 6 months ago

Somebody on Facebook posted this:

FB post about projector (resized).jpgFB post about projector (resized).jpg
#41333 6 months ago
Quoted from Vespula:

I just think Stern needs a little more flair They have a take take attitude/image and they need to make some obvious choices in these pinball machines to make you feel like they really gave you something like a gift of appreciation where it's something obviously cool that cut into their profit but they didn't care because they appreciate you... That kind of PR goes a long way because you build it into your product.
Anyway...

flair (resized).jpgflair (resized).jpg
#41426 6 months ago
Quoted from Willys45:

Good take. I heard Warren Buffet is hoarding pinball machines to flip them for big bucks! You just wait. He is going to make hundreds of dollars

He actually was an operator back in the 40s, and did make hundreds of dollars!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/warren-buffet-route-operator

1 week later
#41515 6 months ago

Elvira is back

#41585 6 months ago
Quoted from MrBigg:

I don't think most repeat buyers are aware of the real struggles taking place out here, but it's nice to see those of you that can enjoy what you have to blow on pins most of us will only see on location.

Like other expensive hobbies, pinball collectors obviously need to have disposable income to spend on these toys. However, nobody is forcing anyone to spend $10k or $13k or $15k on a new game. There are 1,000+ solid state titles and 4,000 EM titles and almost all of them are cheaper than a new $7k Pro. And, of course, you can play on location for 50 cents to $1 per game and still enjoy them.

#41593 6 months ago

There are used Foo and Bond LEs for less than MSRP. There are even Venom LEs for less than MSRP and those haven't even shipped yet. I don't think the new game prices are going to be lowered, but people have to really like the game in order to buy NIB from now on.

The pinball market is definitely slowing down and just in time for more manufacturers than there has been in a really long time:

Stern (Venom, Foo Fighters, James Bond, Rush, Godzilla, Mandalorian, Stranger Things, Jurassic Park, Deadpool, Elvira's House of Horrors, Iron Maiden, Guardians of the Galaxy, Star Wars)
Jersey Jack (Godfather, Toy Story, Guns N' Roses)
CGC (Pulp Fiction, Cactus Canyon remake, possibly more MMr)
Spooky (Scooby-Doo, TNA)
American (Galactic Tank Force, Legends of Valhalla)
Multimorphic (Final Resistance, Weird Al’s Museum of Natural Hilarity and 17 other game kits for the P3 platform)
Dutch (The Big Lebowski)
Haggis (Celts, Fathom, Centaur)
Pinball Bros. (Queen, Alien)
Homepin (This is Spinal Tap, Thunderbirds)
Quetzal/Bitronic (Super Hoop, Tokyo Drift, Captain Nemo)
Pinball Adventures (Elements, Foresaken Ninja, Punny Factory)
HEXA (Space Hunt)
Turner Pinball (Ninja Eclipse)
TiltBob Pinball (Road Trip)
Barrels of Fun (Labyrinth)

#41616 6 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I don't know how it works in Canada, but can't you petition city leaders to change the law or something?

Roger Sharpe, get on that!

#41858 6 months ago
Quoted from underlord:

So my bitterness is well placed in Seth’s attempts at taking that passion for granted.
I’m very divided in what I will do if Jaws is a great design. If it sells out instantly at these prices or (higher?) by December/January then that will tell me all I need to know about the new buyers and direction this hobby has taken.

I find it odd that people try to blame Seth Davis for everything they disagree with at Stern. He doesn't own the company and he's only been there for two years. You can blame JJP and the prices on the secondary market as much if not more than anyone at Stern for the price increases.

2 weeks later
#42348 5 months ago
Quoted from Ty-Arnold:

That's why we have more little kid themes in pinball than anything else. The wives wear the pants for most of these guys. The pinball companies learned to sell to the wives.

Is that a serious comment? Besides Turtles, I don't see any kid themes in the whole Spike 2 era.

#42356 5 months ago

Somebody asked about this:

Gomez badge (resized).jpgGomez badge (resized).jpg
#42419 5 months ago
Quoted from nickrivers:

That was my second thought, but I was still eyeing the LE. New LE coming for the ST finale?

Yeah, it looks like the wiring harness template for Stranger Things. "Pro" and "LE" are only labeled since Premium uses the same wiring as LE.

#42498 5 months ago
Quoted from Vespula:

Wow you really think Rush sales compare to those?
I feel like Rush is as many as both of those combined.
Is the activity and posting qty in an owners forum worth any kind of measure? Is the pinside map any basis for consideration? How do we use the various info available to guesstimate for numbers that aren't disclosed?

Go to the game page on Pinside for Pro and Premium for each and compare the number of owners/locations for each title.

1 week later
#42590 5 months ago

New music pin rumor: Journey. This was mentioned on the Flip N Out With Friends show (around 2 hour mark).

2 weeks later
#42939 4 months ago

I have to say that other companies like Spooky are offering a great value compared to Stern. I have no idea about the code or gameplay, but the Looney Tunes CE has everything that a Stern LE has plus a Topper, Powder Coated Speaker Grills, Integrated RGB Speaker Lights, Laser Cut Side Rails, Powder Coated Coin Door, Illuminated Flipper Buttons, Physical Knocker, Powder Coated Habitrails, Fluorescent Plastic Protectors, and Additional Magnetic Decal Art Pack (Lockdown Bar Action Button, Bill Door Plate, and Apron).

They have everything an LE has plus a lot of extra stuff for $9700 vs. a $13k Stern. I hope these other companies force Stern to up their game (because I doubt they are going to lower their prices).

[This is not an ad for Spooky. I'm just really tempted to get one while I wait for BTTF. As usual, I wish I had more room and money.]

#42980 4 months ago
Quoted from king_pin:

I did a Google lens search on the image and didn't find other references to it so this is likely new original art. Could be for a pin I guess!

These look to be by an artist named Julien Verge (ttps://en.julienverge.com/galerie). The first is called "Skating To The Future" and the second is called "Surfing To The Future."

Skating small (resized).jpgSkating small (resized).jpgSurfing small (resized).jpgSurfing small (resized).jpg
#43054 4 months ago
Quoted from Molon_Labe:

I am not a fan of her music genre, but I concede she is undoubtedly a successful entertainer. She has sold billions; but lets be real, what is her competition at the online ticket kiosk these days? Drop her into the past when concert venues were packed with all of those top mainstream groups that were touring and competing for those consumer dollars at the same time. Would she sell billions? Would she wipe the floor with her talent? Maybe....

I would say her success is in large part due to the fact that she is an oasis in a modern industry desert.

You don't think that Bad Bunny, Beyonce, Adele, Ed Sheeran, Katy Perry, Drake, Luke Combs, Kenny Chesney, Carrie Underwood, Bruno Mars, Lizzo, Coldplay, P!nk, Harry Styles, Morgan Wallen, The Weeknd, Eminem, Billie Eilish, and Rihanna fill concert venues? They all gross $100M+ when they are on tour. These are the top "mainstream" performers today (in addition to Swift).

I actually don't listen to any of the performers above because, like a lot of people on here (the Pinside demographic), I'm a middle-aged guy that mostly prefers music from the 60s, 70s and 80s. It's a subjective opinion that music from that era is "best." I'm pretty sure that if you asked teenagers or people in their 20s what the best era of music and movies were/are, most are not going to say it was all before they were born.

You should look over any list of the most streamed music (one is below). Of the top 50 music groups/performers, only Queen and The Beatles are from that "best" era. This is what people are actually listening to now. If they could choose anything, why are 96% of the top 50 *not* from the best era?

https://chartmasters.org/most-streamed-artists-ever-on-spotify/

In any case, new pinball machines are mostly going to be made for the Pinside demographic, so themes/music/movies from 20+ years ago are going to dominate, with the occasional hit like Stranger Things getting a game. The 80s are in demand right now (again, because of demographics) so BTTF, Goonies, Van Halen and other themes from that era are what people are asking for. This will obviously change over time.

#43155 4 months ago

#43253 4 months ago
Quoted from NoSkills:

Surely next year will be back to 3, although haven't heard any confirmation on that yet

Nothing is "confirmed" or "official" until Stern actually announces it. Even Jaws is not confirmed even though everyone expects it to be announced soon.

These are the rumored games for 2024:
1. Jaws
2. Pokémon
3. John Wick
4. Metallica Anniversary Edition

https://www.knapparcade.org/post/stern-pinball-s-2024-forecast-the-4-cornerstones-are

#43377 4 months ago
Quoted from IPlay4Profit:

Why did the Rescue Arcade 911 or whatever post get taken down on instagram?

Because they put Stern's logo on it (without permission) to get some clicks and have us give them free publicity.
Also, I'm sure they did not get permission from the artist to use that artwork.

1 week later
#43526 3 months ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

I'm pretty sure sure the consensus on Pinside is that Stern is only releasing two cornerstones this year so summer makes sense.

I'm not sure where this is coming from. Stern has not announced anything for 2024 but the 2 cornerstones per year for 2022 and 2023 were not typical and they are expected to produce more new titles next year, especially since they moved to a larger factory. The rumors are Jaws, Pokémon, John Wick, and Metallica Anniversary Edition in 2024, with speculation about a possible 70th anniversary Godzilla LE.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 495.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Bling

$ 10.50
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple

$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Terre Haute, IN
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 35.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 33.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

$ 21.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

280 posts in this topic match your search for posts by Grantman. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Grantman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine?tu=Grantman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.