IMG_9625 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9617 (resized).jpeg
ezgif-3-1607da03c7.gif
IMG_3687 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0693.jpeg
tumblr_92644ce1f423e338c9855c6d59cb5782_b6d09f5e_540.gif
71QXyda3asL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 49,015 posts in this topic. You are on page 970 of 981.
#48451 24 days ago
Quoted from partlyironic:

Jack Danger had some really interesting tidbits in his stream last week about his next game. Its on his twitch channel if you want to watch it. He was kind of joking around a bit, so take all of this with a grain of salt because it all could have been just him joking around, but he said his next game has 1 spinner, there would be '2 and a half flippers' but then he paused said actually 'it equals out to 3'. Someone asked if the deadpost would be back and he said he couldn't say much, but that he wants to get several games under his belt before he starts going back to a thing - he wants people to see the only thing in common about his games is that they're fun. Sounds like it will be different and interesting, can't wait to see it!

I thought it was interesting (maybe I'm reading to much from this).. Someone asked if he was going to be at Comicon and he replied something along the lines of.. It would be strange if he's not there (it was late, I don't remember the exact quote)

#48452 24 days ago

Metallica has a bunch of licensed game content in Fortnite.. You can ride the lightning.
Most of the tracks selected seem be same as the ones in the pinball machine.

Metallica trying to drum up some business after the Stranger Things bump.

Wonder if Met sold in the thousands of machines category. If so a part II would be no brainer.
Also I can see them release it with new Spike (hopefully backward compatible ) and Insider connected.
I wonder if DLC / Music content may be in the future.

Would be cool if they released a Tenacious D machine.. It would be epic!

#48453 24 days ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Metallica has a bunch of licensed game content in Fortnite.. You can ride the lightning.
Wonder if Met sold in the thousands of machines category. If so a part II would be no brainer.
Also I can see them release it with new Spike (hopefully backward compatible ) and Insider connected.

Tenacious D machine would be awesome. Would love to see it centered around a duel with the devil like they did in Pick of Destiny

#48454 24 days ago
Quoted from Nomnom:

I think Akira (1988) would make an insane pin. The major plot points just lend themselves to playfield features. The early highway sequence? Long wire form. The cryo-genic chamber? bash toy. The olympic stadium? inner loop. Akira blast? Outer orbit. Objectives like finding the children (random shots get lit), keeping tetsuo's power in check (hurry up mode), helping Akira battle Tetsuo (repeating loops), surviving the blast by escaping (shots in succession), etc.
Hell, I could make a homebrew on that theme alone. BRB...

Do it!!!

#48455 24 days ago

I figure that Prime Video should have a title. AMC has one, Netflix has one, let's go Prime!!!

If they can do a John Wick machine and "PG-13" it, then they should do "The Boys"...

Obviously adult rated would be preferred...for both...LOL!

The Boys will have a 5th (and last season) coming soon (and 4th season isn't even completely out yet!), so it would be a good time to start working on it! I figure magnets, blinding flashers, gore galore and language would be a must... they could do so many things with this theme.

#48456 23 days ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Metallica came to the Stern factory and saw how the new games are and wanted their game to look like that. Thats the word on the street. You wonder if Metallica sold in the thousands of machines catagory? Lol, yes of course it did. It was a HUGE success for Stern. Probably in their top 3 as far as sales numbers, certainly top 5.

#48457 23 days ago

Definitely
SW
GZ
MET

Quoted from Haymaker:

Probably in their top 3 as far as sales numbers, certainly top 5.

#48458 23 days ago

Looking through the older pins for sale on Pinside, would Stern ever do a new non-licensed pin theme again? Big risk to be sure if theme doesn’t resonate, but maybe something is missing in our hobby with fewer original themes.

#48459 23 days ago
Quoted from Harvester:

Looking through the older pins for sale on Pinside, would Stern ever do a new non-licensed pin theme again? Big risk to be sure if theme doesn’t resonate, but maybe something is missing in our hobby with fewer original themes.

I'll wager not. Look at American's non-licensed themes, they barely sell anything. And look at BKSOR which also wasn't great for either sales or locations. The most successful non-licenses in recent years are TNA and Dialed In, and each of those was still mediocre at best for sales.

Stern has plenty of licenses available and can easily afford them. They just don't have any reason to go original.

#48460 23 days ago
Quoted from Harvester:Looking through the older pins for sale on Pinside, would Stern ever do a new non-licensed pin theme again? Big risk to be sure if theme doesn’t resonate, but maybe something is missing in our hobby with fewer original themes.

I hope not. Leave the unlicensed games to American and some of the boutique companies. Stern needs blockbuster licenses to sell games in high quantities.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#48461 23 days ago
Quoted from Harvester:

No, they learned their lesson after Black Knight flopped hard. They didn't even want to do BK, cuz they thought it would be a sales disaster, but they decided to do grumpy Steve a solid and let him do it. Turns out Stern was right the whole time. I'm sure this was another sticking point in Gary and Steve's long love hate relationship with each other

#48462 23 days ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

No, they learned their lesson after Black Knight flopped hard. They didn't even want to do BK, cuz they thought it would be a sales disaster, but they decided to do grumpy Steve a solid and let him do it. Turns out Stern was right the whole time. I'm sure this was another sticking point in Gary and Steve's long love hate relationship with each other

BKSOR was licensed.

#48463 23 days ago

Never

Quoted from Harvester:

#48464 23 days ago

I bet working with Lars is such a pleasure.

Quoted from Haymaker:

Metallica came to the Stern factory and saw how the new games are and wanted their game to look like that.

#48465 23 days ago

FWIW, apparently Stern saw enough demand for BKSoR to do another run of pro models. I like the game and always wanted one. I look forward to having another non licensed/branded pin in the lineup.

#48466 23 days ago
Quoted from MacGruber:

BKSOR was licensed.

It's a license of an unlicensed arcade game. Big Buck Hunter kind of falls into that category too although that was a video game vs. a pinball.

#48467 23 days ago

Imagine calling BKSOR a flop. The game was popular enough for Stern to re-run the table.

#48468 23 days ago

Growing up in the early SS era, I like unlicensed titles. There were some real gems across all vendors over the many decades. I particularly like the 80's Bally and Williams System 11 era themes. Personally, I wish there was a mix of both available from Stern. With that said, I recognize that I am probably the minority.

#48469 23 days ago
Quoted from ichuckle:

Imagine calling BKSOR a flop. The game was popular enough for Stern to re-run the table.

Here are the numbers of games in pinside collections as of 1 April. BKSOR (Great game) is the worst selling pin barring retro style pins (Beatles/Bond 60th), newly released pins (still getting pumped out) and Aerosmith (literally the oldest cornerstone on the list).

dd	 (resized).pngdd (resized).png
#48470 23 days ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Here are the numbers of games in pinside collections as of 1 April. BKSOR (Great game) is the worst selling pin barring retro style pins (Beatles/Bond 60th), newly released pins (still getting pumped out) and Aerosmith (literally the oldest cornerstone on the list).[quoted image]

Crazy how bad Zeppelin sold given the IP.

#48471 23 days ago
Quoted from Retro4Life:

Growing up in the early SS era, I like unlicensed titles. There were some real gems across all vendors over the many decades. I particularly like the 80's Bally and Williams System 11 era themes. Personally, I wish there was a mix of both available from Stern. With that said, I recognize that I am probably the minority.

You see a lot of niche themes that people post here that they would like made into pinball machines. I can think of a few TV shows and movies myself that I would like but are not big enough to make it worth it to a big pinball company. My girlfriend loves Arrested Development and would love a game based on that show but it's unlikely to happen.

What would address this and what I want is a complete and working pinball machine with a generic theme and open source code that I can customize to whatever I want. Add your own callouts, music, video clips (if it had a display), and artwork. I think that would be attractive to a lot of people if it was reasonable priced (much less than a Stern Pro).

Is anyone working on a complete generic open source game? I know somebody has a homebrew starter kit that they sell but that's an incomplete playfield only. Homepin is also working on Blues Brothers which is supposedly going to have open source code (probably because they didn't get/want to pay for the music from the movie).

#48472 23 days ago
Quoted from ichuckle:

It was a sales flop. That’s why they’re doing another run.

#48473 23 days ago

I'm surprised how high Foo Fighters is on that list. It's hardly a beloved fanatical franchise, and the gameplay is pretty standard even with the cool layout. I'd guess that's from the two titles before it (Rush and Bond) not being all that popular (with Bond's early code) and no Elwin in a while, so it picked up some of the leftover demand from those. I suppose there also might be a sampling bias overrepresenting it, in that the dad-rock and big-collection types are more likely to be on Pinside than operators or single-machine owners.

I think Zeppelin skews the other way - it's mostly in bars or Zeppelin fan homes so it's underrepresented here. Same for Guardians and Mandalorian, they're all on location, I see those in like every arcade.

#48474 23 days ago
Quoted from vikingerik:I'm surprised how high Foo Fighters is on that list. It's hardly a beloved fanatical franchise, and the gameplay is pretty standard even with the cool layout. I'd guess that's from the two titles before it (Rush and Bond) not being all that popular (with Bond's early code) and no Elwin in a while, so it picked up some of the leftover demand from those. I suppose there also might be a sampling bias overrepresenting it, in that the dad-rock and big-collection types are more likely to be on Pinside than operators or single-machine owners.
I think Zeppelin skews the other way - it's mostly in bars or Zeppelin fan homes so it's underrepresented here. Same for Guardians and Mandalorian, they're all on location, I see those in like every arcade.

For your curiosity, here are the same numbers for April 1st for games listed on pinside as being on location.

ddddd	 (resized).pngddddd (resized).png
#48475 23 days ago
Quoted from frosken:

I figure that Prime Video should have a title. AMC has one, Netflix has one, let's go Prime!!!
If they can do a John Wick machine and "PG-13" it, then they should do "The Boys"...
Obviously adult rated would be preferred...for both...LOL!
The Boys will have a 5th (and last season) coming soon (and 4th season isn't even completely out yet!), so it would be a good time to start working on it! I figure magnets, blinding flashers, gore galore and language would be a must... they could do so many things with this theme.

Prime?
Invincible > The Boys

#48476 23 days ago
Quoted from ichuckle:

Or they are just trying to recoup their loses on that one still....
It's a great game if you are missing one of your arms though

#48477 23 days ago
Quoted from MacGruber:

BKSOR was licensed.

JFC I know. You know what I mean.

Also...Yes, Stern decided to do a very limited run of BKSOR recently. The game has built up a little bit of demand over the years. Plus I'm sure they probably have some parts they'd like to clear out. That doesn't make the game not a flop for Stern. I like the game, a lot of people like the game. Its pretty hard to come by because the run was pretty short as it was not a hot seller. It all makes sense that Stern would want to run a few more of them now.

#48478 23 days ago

Here are the numbers of games in pinside collections as of 1 April. BKSOR (Great game) is the worst selling pin barring retro style pins (Beatles/Bond 60th), newly released pins (still getting pumped out) and Aerosmith (literally the oldest cornerstone on the list).[quoted image]

I’d imagine with the next run BKSOR will jump above LZ & Munsters

#48479 23 days ago

BKSOR is an underrated game. Glad Stern is making another run of them but bummed they are only making the Pro. If they also made a run of Premiums I’d have a deposit down somewhere.

#48480 23 days ago
Quoted from johnnyutah:

BKSOR is an underrated game. Glad Stern is making another run of them but bummed they are only making the Pro. If they also made a run of Premiums I’d have a deposit down somewhere.

Why? The pro is the best version.

#48481 23 days ago
Quoted from Retro4Life:

Yeah, this how I’m thinking about it. I’d like to think it would be less constraining in using assets like graphics, music and callouts; much like the video game industry. It’s always interesting to me to walk up to an older pin and experience an unfamiliar theme while learning the shots and points (Whitewater, TOM, MM are examples). I haven’t come across BBQ, but looking forward to it for this reason. Stern would best have the resources to develop a really quality pin IMO. I get the risk as others have mentioned and that licensed pins are in demand; just waxing nostalgic I suppose…

#48482 23 days ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

The Pro is great too but I like the upper playfield. I like looping it and locking the balls in the physical lock. I also like how it kinda slows the game down. As you said though, Pro is great too, this is why I’m torn.

#48483 23 days ago
Quoted from johnnyutah:

The Pro is great too but I like the upper playfield. I like looping it and locking the balls in the physical lock. I also like how it kinda slows the game down. As you said though, Pro is great too, this is why I’m torn.

Do you get something for looping? It's been awhile since I played the premium, but my memory of it what it had was:

1) 5% place where balls get locked

2) 95% pointless vastness

#48484 23 days ago
Quoted from stubborngamer:

Do you get something for looping?

Joy?

#48485 23 days ago
Quoted from Harvester:

It’s always interesting to me to walk up to an older pin and experience an unfamiliar theme while learning the shots and points (Whitewater, TOM, MM are examples). I haven’t come across BBQ, but looking forward to it for this reason.

I hope you enjoy it more than I did. I grew up in a time when unlicensed pins were the rule, not the exception, so I’m quite happy to play an unfamiliar theme, as long as it’s interesting. I did not find the theme of BO’s BBQ interesting, nor the layout. I can only pray American Pinball survives to make a better game next time.

#48486 22 days ago
Quoted from MR-808:

I hope you enjoy it more than I did. I grew up in a time when unlicensed pins were the rule, not the exception, so I’m quite happy to play an unfamiliar theme, as long as it’s interesting. I did not find the theme of BO’s BBQ interesting, nor the layout. I can only pray American Pinball survives to make a better game next time.

Yeah its really bad lol

#48487 22 days ago

I know ppl said it can't done and Stern doesn't share numbers but I hope they atleast tell us when GZ breaks Babe's home run record and passes TAF. Especially if they're gona add a black and white to the arsenal. Think about it?They're still running SW and IMDN, DP from 6 to 7 years ago. They're capable of making GZ into the 2030's. Every noob for the next 6 years is going to get one. I think we need to adjust the odds from impossible to probable.

#48488 22 days ago
Quoted from MR-808:

That’s unfortunate thanks for your experience. When I get a chance, I’ll relay my perspective. Would be cool to see an original theme kill it in sales to encourage more. All said, I’ll have a IM in my collection soon, so much for me putting my money where my mouth is <shrug>

#48489 22 days ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

I don’t care what the sales numbers were ( though obviously the manufacturer does ) Blac Knight SOR is a fun game with one of the best toy mechs in pinball ! On the subject , LOV is cool and GTF - while still buggy - is an awesome game ! I don’t want creators to always have to fit their ideas around whatever license is thrown at them . the correct approach ( IMO ) is a healthy mix . Sure , it’s gonna be mostly licensed themes , but you stifle creativity when you don’t allow original concepts to flourish . An original
game thrown in with weaker than average sales is not gonna close the doors at Stern . The all mighty dollar can’t be the only reason we engage and endeavor - especially in something as frivolous as pinball .

#48490 22 days ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Just got my sword ramp mod in anticipation of getting a pro . It is the best version , especially with this mod !

#48491 22 days ago
Quoted from NevadaNutJob:

I don’t care what the sales numbers were ( though obviously the manufacturer does ) Blac Knight SOR is a fun game with one of the best toy mechs in pinball ! On the subject , LOV is cool and GTF - while still buggy - is an awesome game ! I don’t want creators to always have to fit their ideas around whatever license is thrown at them . the correct approach ( IMO ) is a healthy mix . Sure , it’s gonna be mostly licensed themes , but you stifle creativity when you don’t allow original concepts to flourish . An original
game thrown in with weaker than average sales is not gonna close the doors at Stern . The all mighty dollar can’t be the only reason we engage and endeavor - especially in something as frivolous as pinball .

Agreed, I would love to see Stern push to produce one original theme every 2 years - rotating designers. There is so much freedom with having a literal clean slate to work from. It could even be put to a vote among staff for best design, or an incredible way to engage directly with the community.

Many of my favorite games are original themes: Medieval Madness, Cactus, Tales of the Arabian Nights. Who doesn't love a game that has you collect a fish bowl and go on a great toliet adventure to battle a bulldog and crazy curmudgeon in outer space?

I've said it before on this thread but I would be all over a mouse trap pin. Same with themes derivative of D&D. Computers in pins open up the possibility of 'random dungeons' during every new game - a mode requiring 4-6 spots to compete could be randomly assigned or the same shots reordered to increase variability while maintaining some familiarity. Random dungeons could be controlled as a setting for standardized play. Colonize a new planet, infiltrate a thieves/spy guild, etc.

#48492 22 days ago

Just got my sword ramp mod in anticipation of getting a pro . It is the best version , especially with this mod !

That mod also aesthetically adds to the pro. Looks like it should’ve been there all along.

#48493 22 days ago

I'd love to see a D&D pin that really leverages Insider Connected so you can have your own character and progress.

#48494 22 days ago
Quoted from dboeren:

I'd love to see a D&D pin that really leverages Insider Connected so you can have your own character and progress.

Counting on Xaqery to deliver the goods next year. Take the toe dip in the RPG pond he did with Venom and really go all out with an Eddy design. Probably the pin on the rumored list I'm most excited about, after Tony Hawk/Bones Brigade.

#48495 22 days ago

Sure , it’s gonna be mostly licensed themes , but you stifle creativity when you don’t allow original concepts to flourish . An original game thrown in with weaker than average sales is not gonna close the doors at Stern . The all mighty dollar can’t be the only reason we engage and endeavor - especially in something as frivolous as pinball .

The idea that people at Stern aren't creative in what they can do with licensed themes is an odd one. Every game requires art, music, sound effects, layouts, code structure, modes, etc. All of that is creative. Licensed themes can be more restrictive due to license holder requirements, but working within those restrictions to create the best game you can is its own creative challenge.

The all mighty dollar can’t be the only reason we engage and endeavor - especially in something as frivolous as pinball .

I think it gets less frivolous when you run a big factory with a large amount of fixed costs and your manufacturing supports hundreds of workers and their families.

#48496 22 days ago

The BKSOR pro is better than prem/le? I just played the pro yet. The sword ramp where is possible to buy?
Thanks!

#48497 21 days ago

I played BKSOR Pro quite a few times and really enjoyed it. Over time the game had fallen off my radar and/or I had forgotten all about it.

Years later a buddy of mine offered me a Premium in trade. My lady and I went to play some games on it and she fell in love. We got it home and only then did she discovered the BK/BK 2000 Retro Mode and the option of an alternate soundtrack. We've had nearly 50 games rotate in and out of our home and it's her absolute favorite. If I ever want to see her swoon I simply order her a little mod or add-on as a surprise and install it with her.

I've been threatened on several occasions for jokingly suggesting that we part with it. I know it's popular and common to hate on the Premium, I get it, not everyone jives or enjoys what it offers; for her sake I always try to suggest that people give it more time when/if they see one to form their own conclusions.

#48498 21 days ago

I never said BKSOR was a bad game though. Its a fun game, I like it! I'd really like to own one one day.

Unfortunately for companies who like to stay in business, the almighty dollar is the reason they endeavor. They have to make a profit to continue to operate. Well, either that or have some big money backer who doesn't mind losing tons of money for a while like Aimtron with AP. Eventually those tend to close up too though. Its a business, not a charity.

#48499 21 days ago
Quoted from Merendino:

she discovered the BK/BK 2000 Retro Mode and the option of an alternate soundtrack.

What is it (just the soundtrack?) or is it a mode? and how do you enable?

#48500 21 days ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

I never said BKSOR was a bad game though. Its a fun game, I like it! I'd really like to own one one day.
Unfortunately for companies who like to stay in business, the almighty dollar is the reason they endeavor. They have to make a profit to continue to operate. Well, either that or have some big money backer who doesn't mind losing tons of money for a while like Aimtron with AP. Eventually those tend to close up too though. Its a business, not a charity.

Agreed except the part where you assume stern lost money on BK . I don’t know but I seriously doubt stern has lost money on any game they’ve put out in the last 10 years . There’s a big difference between losing money and simply having a game not mint free gold bullion - you don’t have to make a killing on every title to be profitable and successful. AP is another story altogether ….

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 45.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1,099.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
7,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Lenticular Designs

$ 18.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

There are 49,015 posts in this topic. You are on page 970 of 981.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.