pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0014 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9238 (resized).jpeg
mickey-mouse-1200x900 (resized).jpg
IMG_6482 (resized).jpeg
King Kong...gif
images (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 48,436 posts in this topic. You are on page 961 of 969.
#48001 27 days ago
Quoted from LIPinballSociety:

I don't see it being cheaper than a Stern Pro NIB (their website shows $7999) .. either way though you are right.. this is a great game and I do like the CGC remakes so far.
It's interesting though, there are individual games that can be argued but no other company in total can compare. You'd have to love that specific game to say "yea this is the best purchase

I like CGC's quality. NIB CCR's sell cheap right now and you'd be hard to find a better built game for the money.

#48002 27 days ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Alien ripley is the best value in pinball. Spooky offerings arguably are better values than Sterns as well.

BoM it's easy to agree, bit they don't shoot as well as a stern. Their playfield engineering is still unrefined compared to Stern. Generally lots of jank with a spooky. It's the biggest thing they still need to conquer.

#48003 27 days ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

BoM it's easy to agree, bit they don't shoot as well as a stern. Their playfield engineering is still unrefined compared to Stern. Generally lots of jank with a spooky. It's the biggest thing they still need to conquer.

Eh, I chalk that up to player learning different geometries and not wanting to learn it. There's a reason Stern's feel samey most of the time. That is why I prefer a wide variety of manufacturers. Once you get used to the difference in it, it's not a 'they shoot better', it's a 'you shoot better'. R&M made me a better player across the board.

Watch my Alien video and you can see how smooth the shots are.

#48004 27 days ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

If the price point for premiums is right, why are many newer premium models selling for umder 8k now? The market is suggesting the last price hike to $10k was ill advised and timed poorly as the stay at home pandemic was winding down.
Stern could have stayed lean and kept expenses down. Instead, they completely ignored where the market was likely heading thinking the pandemic demand boom would last forever and moved to a massive, shiny new factory.

This is true. It’s easy to get carried away and make predictions that pinball is set to grow 20-30% per yr back in early 2023

Then to ramp up with the massive new facility and 500 employees. The tax credits and QBI won’t last forever.

After actually seeing the new plant I have a new found respect for Stern and particularly what Gomez has done for the company and I’m sure many others there.

Every new release has HUGE ramifications for them.

Stern should at least offer a loyalty and rewards program to pacify buyers a bit if they don’t want to walk back those price increase which I can’t see how they avoid but at least it’s something.

But yeah, they are making fantastic games, one after another, it’s just the PRICING.

That said, I’ll pay whatever it is for a theme I REALLY want. That pool of people is dwindling fast.

#48005 27 days ago

I still don't understand the hate on Stern's pricing.. lets be real. The pro is the best value in Pinball... last I saw, everyone else sells their base model game above that. Too many people are focused on the LE price but the Premiums always come with all the bells and whistles for $10k... Still within a fair price range to all of their competitors.

Yep - Stern Pros are usually a ton of fun and very affordable.

Kaneda always goes on about "$13,000 Sterns" like that's what everyone buys - it just fits his narrative and banter to drive subs.

If you were an LE buyer I get it, they have gone up a lot. Otherwise, not much to complain about.

Quoted from Sandman33:

Cactus Canyon remake is a great value for your dollar. Cheaper than a Stern Pro but built very well...reliable.

CCr is awesome but long waits always tuff with CGC. I gave up on my order for a PF and just got a Bond instead. Can't wait forever.

#48006 27 days ago
Quoted from kool1:

Yep - Stern Pros are usually a ton of fun and very affordable.
Kaneda always goes on about "$13,000 Sterns" like that's what everyone buys - it just fits his narrative and banter to drive subs.
If you were an LE buyer I get it, they have gone up a lot. Otherwise, not much to complain about.

oh yeah I fully agree with your first point. In reality folks should look at the premium to compare since that model does contain all the bells and whistles for that theme's production... and Premiums are $10k.. Still a fair market price for what you're getting. The whole LE bashing makes no sense because they are for a specific part of the pinball market, and not the first price point at which you get all the playfield mechs and toys. I personally believe that Stern uses the LE to drive up Premium purchases LE sales to them are legit just a bonus.

#48007 27 days ago

oh yeah I fully agree with your first point. In reality folks should look at the premium to compare since that model does contain all the bells and whistles for that theme's production... and Premiums are $10k.. Still a fair market price for what you're getting. The whole LE bashing makes no sense because they are for a specific part of the pinball market, and not the first price point at which you get all the playfield mechs and toys. I personally believe that Stern uses the LE to drive up Premium purchases LE sales to them are legit just a bonus.

Yep - LEs are where the fat Stern profits are just like the AMG models are where fat Mercedes profits are.

#48008 27 days ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Eh, I chalk that up to player learning different geometries and not wanting to learn it.

Nope, it's engineering. Some paths that are too wide and for the too-wide paths with switches, can't consistently hit the switch as a result is bad engineering. Spooky still has too much of that and it has nothing to do with players learning different geometry. It's just BAD design. Millimeters make a huge difference, but Spooky's attention to that important detail has been very lacking (dunno about Looney Tunes and TCM as I haven't played them yet). I would love for them to really be laser focused on getting that right.

#48009 27 days ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Nope, it's engineering. Some paths that are too wide and for the too-wide paths with switches, can't consistently hit the switch as a result is bad engineering. Spooky still has too much of that and it has nothing to do with players learning different geometry. It's just BAD design. Millimeters make a huge difference, but Spooky's attention to that important detail has been very lacking (dunno about Looney Tunes and TCM as I haven't played them yet). I would love for them to really be laser focused on getting that right.

You kind of proved my point. Stern does what 'you' and many like. What you are used to. There is nothing saying things have to be that way. That's not to say there can't be improvements, and no, I don't think all Spooky games are fun, however I do not think Stern are the only ones that can make a fun layout game. I think Stern could change things up quite a bit on occasion.

#48010 27 days ago
Quoted from Zablon:

You kind of proved my point. Stern does what 'you' and many like. What you are used to. There is nothing saying things have to be that way. That's not to say there can't be improvements, and no, I don't think all Spooky games are fun, however I do not think Stern are the only ones that can make a fun layout game. I think Stern could change things up quite a bit on occasion.

Making ball paths that are too wide to register a switch on the path consistently is an ERROR, period. Has nothing to do with "learning" the geometry. It's a failure of engineering. I have no problem with new or unusual geometry, just don't punish me with inconsistent results when I make the shots.

#48011 27 days ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Making ball paths that are too wide to register a switch on the path consistently is an ERROR, period. Has nothing to do with "learning" the geometry. It's a failure of engineering. I have no problem with new or unusual geometry, just don't punish me with inconsistent results when I make the shots.

That's a different thing than geometry and layout. That is bad engineering, agreed. You can compensate for that by using different switch mechs though.

EDIT: re-reading what you originally posted, I probably misunderstood your complaint.

#48012 27 days ago

Spike 2 Sterns remind me of the WPC-89 games. Each game has it's own unique elements and varying theme, but they're mostly on the same system and the high quality across builds is pretty consistent. The unique mechs and gameplay elements provides the variety and the consistent build quality and same system provides the familiarity to build a following of customers where expectations are formed and generally met.

Personally, I have no desire to play pinball on a computer screen, install varying kits, have the light show feel like the focus of the table, or feel like the game is breaking apart the more it's played. Surmise as you will, but Spike 2 and Stern seems like the gold standard to me, as WPC-89 was (is to some people) 30 years ago.

Am looking forward to seeing what Spike 3 brings, but hope it's not too drastic.

Hey, you know what's never been done before? A virtual playfield AND projected holograms... genius!

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#48013 27 days ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I think GZ is a great example to talk about. Opinions will vary regarding the building mech. I played the pro, thought, meh...but absolutely loved the premium. Everytime the building goes up or down and changes things awesome. The Mechazilla grabs the ball? Awesome. Destruction jackpot, awesome. I love the entire package --- on a theme I didn't really care about.

I would agree, Godzilla is basically my poster child for a game where the Premium gives you a lot of added value. Most games I'd buy a Pro, but Godzilla I got the Premium.

Look at Barrels of Fun.. Labyrinth is a great game but lets say you don't like the theme but love the effort they put in.. you'll have to wait until early next year to see what their next game is and hope it's what you like. I believe folks saw/said 5th Element is a rumored theme from them. I can just image the disappointment people will feel if it isn't and then know it might be another 2 year wait for another release.

I'm still waiting to play Labyrinth but it sounds great. I'm also not sure on the mechanical reliability so I'm happy to wait a while and see how things shake out. Meanwhile, I'm assuming they will learn things and improve for the next game as well. I'd say they hit it out of the park for a first game, and I'm definitely excited to see what their next game will be.

#48014 27 days ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

(dunno about Looney Tunes and TCM as I haven't played them yet).

I've played a little bit of Looney Tunes. The playfield design seems like a significant step up from Scooby, but the theming isn't as good. I didn't notice any switches not registering but since I'm not that familiar with the game yet it's possible I missed something.

#48015 27 days ago
Quoted from MiniPinHead:

Godzilla Pro versus Cactus Canyon Remake SE
[quoted image]

Price isn't actually equal, but also doesn't change which one I'd rather own/do own... Not even close imo.

#48016 27 days ago

AC/DC was last DMD era Stern right? I do miss those games. I’d personally love to see new releases with DMDs lol

#48017 27 days ago

AC/DC was last DMD era Stern right? I do miss those games. I’d personally love to see new releases with DMDs lol

I think it was Ghostbusters in 2016. AC/DC was in 2012.
https://pinside.com/pinball/machine?query=&manufacturer[]=105#results

Edit: There was an AC/DC vault in 2017

#48018 27 days ago
Quoted from Grantman:

ohh I must have seen the unvaulted game and got mixed up

#48019 27 days ago
Quoted from Grantman:

Didn’t they also re-vault Iron Man after Acdc?
And Heavy Metal was 2020.

#48020 27 days ago

Got some time on WICK today and.....it shoots pretty good

It shoots fast and the shots feel good. It was a little tight with shots and there were rejects but they were not that bad. The layout reminds me and feels like GOT and MANDO without upper had a baby. Fast ball paths with ramps and definitely keeps you on your toes. I was not sure what I was doing yet but I think once the rules are learned it will help guide gameplay. Overall it was a game I wanted to push the start button again which is good.

#48021 27 days ago
Quoted from Sandman33:

Cactus Canyon remake is a great value for your dollar. Cheaper than a Stern Pro

Lol, no it's not.

#48022 27 days ago

After the Stern LE hike from 500 to 1000 LE's I am staying away from any new LE's maybe use maybe premium.

#48023 26 days ago
Quoted from Sandman33:

I like CGC's quality. NIB CCR's sell cheap right now and you'd be hard to find a better built game for the money.

Also the worst company by a mile getting games out the door. My suggestion if u want a remake is to wait a get a nice HUO one versus waiting 2+ years with zero idea when the game will ship.

#48024 26 days ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Also the worst company by a mile getting games out the door. My suggestion if u want a remake is to wait a get a nice HUO one versus waiting 2+ years with zero idea when the game will ship.

Haggis enters the chat...

#48025 26 days ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Fortunately they seem to be pumping out Pulp Fictions pretty fast.

#48026 26 days ago

Alien Ripley I've only seen and played once in person.. I am curious to know how they hold up over many plays
(My sole opinion) Unfortunately I have not really enjoyed any of Spooky's games until Looney Tunes. Looney Tunes is a TON of fun... The rest just haven't been good. Scooby Doo is ok but I just don't like how it plays and kind of hate that the upper playfield takes up as much space as it does. It's also a common theme that Spooky quality isn't that great. Stern Pro's take a beating... if you are going to spend money on a machine, you'll have less downtime with a Stern Pro. In the house that means less money either paying someone or paying for parts to replace.. and on location that means more uptime for more coin drop.
I don't understand this need for every game to have a playfield full of Mechs. Mechs become gimmicky after a while.. I'd much rather a game that shoots well and is fun to play over a game that's loaded with toys and other crap but is so boring to shoot. I guess this then comes down to what you think is important to determine value. I'd much rather prefer a Godzilla Pro over the Premium and LE.. I want to pump in games. The bridge and building are cool but after a while I wouldn't want to watch all that. Deadpool is one of my favorite games, literally has nothing in it except a bobble head. If a game shoots well, you don't need mechs. Mechs/Toys are used as a replacement for a good layout. A good layout comes from developers.. good code comes from developers.. that is what you are paying for.

Alice cooper is Spookys best imho - best upper playfield ever / 5 shots off a small flipper and it’s a huge part of the game. LOVE insect mode

#48027 26 days ago

Stern needs to reach deep in the nostalgia bucket and pull out not one, but two pins made from the National Lampoons Vacation movies. One based solely on Christmas Vacation and the others on the travel movies. I would buy both for sure.

Shiters full multiball, Moose Nose Bash, exploding turkey, dead grandmother sculps, Nick Papagiorgio wizard mode, Ramps circling Big Ben and numerous other items. If they can make one out of John Wick they can definitely make 2 out of National Lampoons Vacation.
Christmas Vacation (resized).jpgChristmas Vacation (resized).jpg

ww (resized).jpgww (resized).jpg
#48028 26 days ago
Quoted from VoodooPin:

Stern needs to reach deep in the nostalgia bucket and pull out not one, but two pins made from the National Lampoons Vacation movies. One based solely on Christmas Vacation and the others on the travel movies. I would buy both for sure.
Shiters full multiball, Moose Nose Bash, exploding turkey, dead grandmother sculps, Nick Papagiorgio wizard mode, Ramps circling Big Ben and numerous other items. If they can make one out of John Wick they can definitely make 2 out of National Lampoons Vacation.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I have some of the talking movie clips Xmas ornaments from Hallmark that came out awhile ago very cool

#48029 26 days ago
Quoted from sleepygtr:

Alice cooper is Spookys best imho - best upper playfield ever / 5 shots off a small flipper and it’s a huge part of the game. LOVE insect mode

Haven't gotten to try that one yet unfortunately.

#48030 26 days ago
Quoted from John_I:

Fortunately they seem to be pumping out Pulp Fictions pretty fast.

typical CGC...they start fast, and ALWAYS finish really SLOW

#48031 25 days ago
Quoted from VoodooPin:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]

No offense, as I know a lot of people enjoy those movies, but National Lampoon Vacation makes AP's GTF and BBQ games look like the height of sophistication. Can't think of a theme I would want less.

#48032 25 days ago
Quoted from sleepygtr:

I almost bought an Alice Cooper as my first pin. Eventually got talked out of it, at least partially because I'm not sure how reliable spooky games are going to be long-term but I really enjoyed playing It.

#48033 25 days ago
Quoted from JohnnyHomeBrew:

I almost bought an Alice Cooper as my first pin. Eventually got talked out of it, at least partially because I'm not sure how reliable spooky games are going to be long-term but I really enjoyed playing It.

Mine has been reliable and Spooky customer service is extremely responsive. The game is just weird in a good way. It’s hard, BUT super satisfying to work your way thru the castle with the cool modes and music (never listened to much Alice b4). It definitely improves pinball skill

#48034 25 days ago

What’s the chance anyone makes a Garfield pin?

#48035 25 days ago

This is as close as you are going to get:
https://zenstudios.com/games/garfield-pinball/

Garfield_Pinball_Screenshot_3_logo (resized).jpgGarfield_Pinball_Screenshot_3_logo (resized).jpg
#48036 25 days ago

Spotted in the check out lane, 25th anniversary would be a good time to release a pin and Time showcases it as the most valuable franchise. Stars are aligning.

PXL_20240518_170728186 (resized).jpgPXL_20240518_170728186 (resized).jpg
#48037 25 days ago

I'd like one to go right next to my eventual Peanuts pin!

FB_IMG_1693800927355 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1693800927355 (resized).jpg
#48038 25 days ago

sniffle.. I want to get a little closer.

I could see there being a cartoon mashup from Nickelodeon some day

#48039 25 days ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

I'd like one to go right next to my eventual Peanuts pin!
[quoted image]

oh yea.. Peanuts is 100% my moms dream theme. She’d go all in LE day one

#48040 25 days ago

Planet of the apes has had a franchise for 50 years now... could be neat.

#48041 24 days ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Planet of the apes has had a franchise for 50 years now... could be neat.

Planet of the Apes is a GREAT theme! I remember as a kid having baseball-style cards with pictures from the 1970s movies, and if you had the set they would form a giant picture if you turned them over.

Lots of nostalgia for us in our 50s and 60s, plus the recent reboot series keeps it current. Some of the later movies in the original series got a little silly but there's plenty just from the first movie to make a really fun pinball game.

#48042 24 days ago
Quoted from MasterBlaster:

D&D based on the 1980s Cartoon Series? YES PLEASE

Fucking THIS.

#48043 24 days ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Well I'm in total agreement with you and the other guy. Yeah Stern's are easily the most fun games out there IMO. I just figured if we were having a value argument it wasn't intrinsic things like how fun is it, it was how much actual stuff do you get for your money. If we're talkin fun for dollar then a pinball machine shouldn't even be on the radar at all lol

#48044 23 days ago

I'd definitely take D&D over Pokemon. Not just for being a cooler theme (which it is), but the less that Stern has to spend on licensing an IP the more cash they have left for the bill of materials. High priced license = fewer & simpler mechs.

#48045 23 days ago
Quoted from dboeren:

I'd definitely take D&D over Pokemon. Not just for being a cooler theme (which it is), but the less that Stern has to spend on licensing an IP the more cash they have left for the bill of materials. High priced license = fewer & simpler mechs.

I would love to see the development process between game designer, mech eng, reliability eng, and accounting. To see just what cool stuff would have been possible if cost was less a factor.

#48046 23 days ago
Quoted from Doctoroctos:

I would love to see the development process between game designer, mech eng, reliability eng, and accounting. To see just what cool stuff would have been possible if cost was less a factor.

JJP

#48047 22 days ago
Quoted from dboeren:

I'd definitely take D&D over Pokemon

I want a D & D over Pokemon but in terms of sales potential there is no contest. Pokemon if done properly could be one of Stern's biggest licenses and best sellers. The worldwide appeal will attract many and it should do very well. Hopefully we get both and do not have to decide.

#48048 22 days ago

-Ok Ok Ok

So I just got done watching all the WICK movies back to back again. By the third movie it really started to get ridiculous with the over the top shoot em up scenes and the fact that he never gets shot in the head from hitman that are five feet away was almost humorous at times. I really liked how he lifted up his thin Kevlar suit like batman to protect his head from bullets. I need to get me an imaginary Kevlar batman suit

I like to get into the movies for new pins-so I know what the heck is going on with mode progression.

ok ok LW (resized).jpgok ok LW (resized).jpg
#48049 22 days ago
Quoted from pinmister:

-Ok Ok Ok
So I just got done watching all the WICK movies back to back again. By the third movie it really started to get ridiculous with the over the top shoot em up scenes and the fact that he never gets shot in the head from hitman that are five feet away was almost humorous at times. I really liked how he lifted up his thin Kevlar suit like batman to protect his head from bullets. I need to get me an imaginary Kevlar batman suit
I like to get into the movies for new pins-so I know what the heck is going on with mode progression.
[quoted image]

JW3 was on free to air the other night and couldn’t get through 10 minutes. The worst of the 4? Have only watched 1.

#48050 22 days ago
Quoted from cooked71:

JW3 was on free to air the other night and couldn’t get through 10 minutes. The worst of the 3? Have only watched 1.

To me it is just another shoot em up franchise that tends to run itself into repetitious mish-mash. I have watched my fair share of cheese movies to get into the themes of pinball machines. I will say I did not care for how they wrapped up the franchise with him finally dying and Winston basically saying f-you John I got my hotel back. Also opening scene in first film where someone sneaks up on him and knocks him out over the head but next four movies hitman can't shoot him from five feet away? Also the operator scenes with all the old tattooed ladies seemed odd-I mean who is in charge over there in the human resource department

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Reisterstown, MD
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 139.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
Playfield - Other
Gameroom Mods

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

There are 48,436 posts in this topic. You are on page 961 of 969.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine/page/961 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.