Pinbot. (resized).jpg
BOPB (resized).jpg
Bart (resized).jpg
lXhuw-g3oqgeyejevdmar3cwzxeskx (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
27qb1c (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 45,572 posts in this topic. You are on page 859 of 912.
#42901 84 days ago
Quoted from arzoo:

I'm really surprised Spooky decided to go with the two theme / same layout strategy again. They released HW and UM with barely beta code. And now they're doubling down by saying TCM and LT will have completely different code and rules. They rushed HW/UM out the door to beat Godzilla and looks like they're doing it again to beat Jaws. Seems like a bad idea imo.

Well Bug at Spooky was saying that they have learned from what worked and what didn't with Halloween/Ultraman. That they will not be making the same mistakes again and are learning from the past (which i believe is an amazing thing to realize early on). We all know Stern is top dog but also Stern has been in this field for a very long time so they know what works. These other companies have been around for just a decade or less (spooky, jjp, american, etc.). Of course their working capital is no where near what Stern has. They have shown they can put out products/games that people want. As long as these smaller companies keep advancing and making their games better this competition is a good thing for all of us. We get more games and more choices and continue to grow this hobby. I am excited to see what Stern has for us in the future with Spike 3 and hopefully we can get a Goonies pin

#42902 84 days ago

Seems like a nice shark

IMG_6659 (resized).jpegIMG_6659 (resized).jpeg

#42903 84 days ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Seems like a nice shark
[quoted image]

Great white retriever. Bred to have a soft mouth and be well socialized with people.

#42904 84 days ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Seems like a nice shark
[quoted image]

Friendly

#42905 84 days ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Spooky will take 10 million dollars plus off the table next week, so this has to worry Stern, as collectors do not have bottomless pockets right now.
I am kind of expecting a Jaws teaser next Tuesday, just to pause those Spooky sales.

No way - Spooky will not sell out these titles right away.

Jaws marketing drop still possible but I think January more likely.

#42906 84 days ago
Quoted from nickrivers:

I've noticed some Sterns seem to shoot way different even within the brand. Elvira for example just feels way different in a good way, and AIQ feels terrible.

AIQ varies a lot from machine to machine, based on flipper power and alignment and wear. Flipper alignment in particular matters; AIQ is best aligned a millimeter or two up higher, for the flow shots onto the Widow and Gauntlet ramps. Though the factory seems to align the flippers low on almost every machine for all titles recently.

#42907 84 days ago

They did snag license after playing it...

#42908 84 days ago
Quoted from elsereturn:

They did snag license after playing it...

Whoa. Breaking news?

#42909 83 days ago

I feel like spooky shoots themselves in the foot with releasing two different games with the same layout. Even if they were both themes I like, I wouldn’t buy them, or own them at the same time because of the repetitive layout.

#42910 83 days ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

I feel like spooky shoots themselves in the foot with releasing two different games with the same layout. Even if they were both themes I like, I wouldn’t buy them, or own them at the same time because of the repetitive layout.

But I think this way they have two very different IPs that will appeal to different people and don't have to design/build a different game.
Sure they lose sales from people that would maybe buy both if they had different layouts but that's got to be a very few buyers vs the number of people who might buy one but definitely not the other.
No?

#42911 83 days ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Its a non-issue if you dont own both. They are seperate games, different assets make for different gameplay. Get real. I cant speak for UM, but HWN is an exceptional pin with nearly unmatched theme integration.

Neither pin works well in an arcade setting. HWN is amazing with lights off and sound up.

#42912 83 days ago
Quoted from Rizmo:

Well Bug at Spooky was saying that they have learned from what worked and what didn't with Halloween/Ultraman. That they will not be making the same mistakes again and are learning from the past (which i believe is an amazing thing to realize early on). We all know Stern is top dog but also Stern has been in this field for a very long time so they know what works. These other companies have been around for just a decade or less (spooky, jjp, american, etc.). Of course their working capital is no where near what Stern has. They have shown they can put out products/games that people want. As long as these smaller companies keep advancing and making their games better this competition is a good thing for all of us. We get more games and more choices and continue to grow this hobby. I am excited to see what Stern has for us in the future with Spike 3 and hopefully we can get a Goonies pin

I’m with u on getting the GOONIES MADE and someone please do BEETLE JUICE either one of those done right would sell big time.

#42913 83 days ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

But I think this way they have two very different IPs that will appeal to different people and don't have to design/build a different game.
Sure they lose sales from people that would maybe buy both if they had different layouts but that's got to be a very few buyers vs the number of people who might buy one but definitely not the other.
No?

It's worth noting that they also choose themes that are entirely different from one another. One is very dark/violent and the other is a cute/funny cartoon. I'm a hard pass on Texas Chainsaw Massacre but seriously considering Looney Tunes.

#42914 83 days ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

It definitely deludes the fomo but it also helps them in the long run. No way Id but a TCM because it’s too fukin dark for my taste. Looney tunes gives me an the others a chance to see the light.

#42915 83 days ago
Quoted from kool1:

No way - Spooky will not sell out these titles right away.
Jaws marketing drop still possible but I think January more likely.

Spookys business model has not let them sell out in the past. Are they doing like 750 of each?

#42916 83 days ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Spookys business model has not let them sell out in the past. Are they doing like 750 of each?

Think 888 of each..

#42917 83 days ago
IMG_0465 (resized).jpegIMG_0465 (resized).jpegIMG_6678 (resized).jpegIMG_6678 (resized).jpeg
#42920 83 days ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

No?

Clearly there is cost savings by keeping the same layout. And it doesn’t matter at the end of the day if they are selling out each model. But if they aren’t selling out each model, all 888 units of each, then I guess I don't see the benefit of having two identical layouts. If FF and GZ shared the same layout I wouldn’t own both at the same time. Like I wouldn’t own MET and Guardians. To each there own though. Just my worthless 2 cents

#42921 83 days ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

„The past“ is longer then the last game, and the games before were sold out in 24h.

#42922 83 days ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Clearly there is cost savings by keeping the same layout. And it doesn’t matter at the end of the day if they are selling out each model. But if they aren’t selling out each model, all 888 units of each, then I guess I don't see the benefit of having two identical layouts. If FF and GZ shared the same layout I wouldn’t own both at the same time. Like I wouldn’t own MET and Guardians. To each there own though. Just my worthless 2 cents

The latest poll shows slow interest.

IMG_6680 (resized).jpegIMG_6680 (resized).jpeg
#42923 83 days ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Seems like a nice shark
[quoted image]

A Mostly Peaceful Shark...

#42924 83 days ago
Quoted from chad:

A Shark will be a Shark.

#42925 83 days ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Looney Tunes looks fantastic!

#42926 83 days ago
Quoted from kool1:

Looney Tunes looks fantastic!

I get a Hot Wheels color vibe.

IMG_6683 (resized).jpegIMG_6683 (resized).jpegIMG_6684 (resized).jpegIMG_6684 (resized).jpeg
#42927 83 days ago

JJP out of the way..... Spooky out of the way..... AP has nothing......

The table is all set for Stern.

#42928 83 days ago

If the speculation is correct, not sure why they don’t announce it before Xmas. Worst kept secret out there right now

#42929 83 days ago
Quoted from chad:

1924EB0F-E37D-46C6-A88E-1B0CDA8EE744 (resized).jpeg1924EB0F-E37D-46C6-A88E-1B0CDA8EE744 (resized).jpeg

#42930 83 days ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

JJP out of the way..... Spooky out of the way..... AP has nothing......
The table is all set for Stern.

All know is if "Jaws" pro is stripped down like how Venom was Stern is going to be in big trouble and p.o. alot of people.

#42931 83 days ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

They have said before it's because of polar opposite themes and the nicheness of the themes. Keep the production numbers low and save money on designing the games. Limited run licenses also are cheaper to acquire over ongoing production licensing that stern does. They likely would have never done Ultraman if they couldn't have done it as a dual theme with Halloween for example since it was so niche and they kept production numbers low on it to only 500

#42932 83 days ago
Quoted from Rizmo:

All know is if "Jaws" pro is stripped down like how Venom was Stern is going to be in big trouble and p.o. alot of people.

Elwin Pros have all been solid so far and as fun to shoot as the Premium/LE. I hope this continues with Jaws.

#42933 83 days ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Elwin Pros have all been solid so far and as fun to shoot as the Premium/LE. I hope this continues with Jaws.

I‘d never ever get a Godzilla Pro, no matter how it shoots, since it is missing everything but a shitty magnet.

#42934 83 days ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I‘d never ever get a Godzilla Pro, no matter how it shoots, since it is missing everything but a shitty magnet.

GZ pro is fast.

#42935 83 days ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I prefer playing the pro. Like a lot of pro/premium arguments, I could care less about moving toys that pause gameplay or sometimes obstruct my view.
If I buy a Godzilla, I'd actually be after the pro specifically.
Everyone is different.
I will not argue however about how much IS stripped from this premium to pro. It's a much bigger gap than most titles and I completely get why people want those fun premium toys.
To me they lose their novelty quickly and I find myself wanting them to just hurry the hell up

#42936 83 days ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

You're missing out. I prefer how the Pro shoots and I know I'm not alone.

#42937 83 days ago

Definitely not in the GZ Pro club, as it's missing the collapsing building..and this can be beat to death, as both offer something for different folks..I will say that a few pros (that I own) play better than the premium/LE's in my honest opinion; Mando and Iron Maiden...it's nice that Stern offers the different variations in these situations of 'taste'.. ...they did drop the ball on Venom though! (they could have at LEAST thown in the swinging spiderman mech on the right side!)

#42938 83 days ago
Quoted from MikeS:

You're missing out. I prefer how the Pro shoots and I know I'm not alone.

I'm usually a pro guy. Pro shoots really good but GZ is the only premium I had to have.

#42939 83 days ago

I have to say that other companies like Spooky are offering a great value compared to Stern. I have no idea about the code or gameplay, but the Looney Tunes CE has everything that a Stern LE has plus a Topper, Powder Coated Speaker Grills, Integrated RGB Speaker Lights, Laser Cut Side Rails, Powder Coated Coin Door, Illuminated Flipper Buttons, Physical Knocker, Powder Coated Habitrails, Fluorescent Plastic Protectors, and Additional Magnetic Decal Art Pack (Lockdown Bar Action Button, Bill Door Plate, and Apron).

They have everything an LE has plus a lot of extra stuff for $9700 vs. a $13k Stern. I hope these other companies force Stern to up their game (because I doubt they are going to lower their prices).

[This is not an ad for Spooky. I'm just really tempted to get one while I wait for BTTF. As usual, I wish I had more room and money.]

#42940 83 days ago

It better be Jaws and it better be awesome, because TCM looks great!

#42941 83 days ago
Quoted from Grantman:

I have to say that other companies like Spooky are offering a great value compared to Stern. I have no idea about the code or gameplay, but the Looney Tunes CE has everything that a Stern LE has plus a Topper, Powder Coated Speaker Grills, Integrated RGB Speaker Lights, Laser Cut Side Rails, Powder Coated Coin Door, Illuminated Flipper Buttons, Physical Knocker, Powder Coated Habitrails, Fluorescent Plastic Protectors, and Additional Magnetic Decal Art Pack (Lockdown Bar Action Button, Bill Door Plate, and Apron).
They have everything an LE has plus a lot of extra stuff for $9700 vs. a $13k Stern. I hope these other companies force Stern to up their game (because I doubt they are going to lower their prices).
[This is not an ad for Spooky. I'm just really tempted to get one while I wait for BTTF. As usual, I wish I had more room and money.]

Plus their playfield doesn't dimple after 50 plays

#42942 83 days ago
Quoted from Grantman:

I agree but in this shit market these companies need to show gameplay video with sounds day one like we are just now getting with Elton. Crazy expensive to buy with no actual video of looney tunes sounds or clips to show gameplay. I’m interested but waiting.

#42943 83 days ago

I wonder how profitable the two themes/one playfield model is. It's an interesting concept and could widen the market with only having to design one playfield. I know halloween/ultra man wasn't well received but I wonder if we'll ever see stern attempt it with a cornerstone. aside from shrek/family guy.

#42944 83 days ago

#42945 83 days ago
Quoted from Grantman:

Agreed. Completely. I just got my NIB GZ Premium. Basically same price as spooky’s new TCM. And spooky delivers SO much more value. I may get a TCM - looks very well done and looks like they’ve taken a very different approach in terms of shots vs mini playfields covering up half the game. I have a BoF Labrynth on order as well. Another one with a ton more value vs Stern.

Don’t get me wrong, I have 3 Sterns and love them all. And I’m excited to see what team Elwin has in store for sure.

But frankly, they are getting price beat per pound by their competition. The market is much softer than a year ago too, and Stern raised a round of funding not all that long ago (wasn’t a huge round though). They have bills to pay, and more power to em in terms of generating a great return and making hay while the sun shines, but I think clouds are rolling in with a softer market and competition is heating up.

I hope Stern lowers their prices.

Stern is dominant in pinball manufacturing right now, by quite a ways. Many of us owe them gratitude for effectively maintaining annd growing the industry as well. And they are innovating on services to grow new revenue streams which is good to see, good starting point. Though the offering isn’t that compelling yet and is pretty easy to duplicate.

None of these companies are particularly large or have large revenue, and pinball is a pretty niche hobby overall. A lot can change and possibly fast once more direct sales approaches are adopted. There’s a lot of room for disruption, especially in terms of key industry talent movements - if Elwin gets hired away for instance that’d hurt Stern pretty bad, and I don’t know how they compensate key talent but this is easy to imagine.

It’ll be interesting to watch the industry. I’m fairly new to the hobby and have had fun learning about the business and tech end of things and have been quite surprised at a few things and surprised at the shallowness of the moat in a few dimensions.

#42946 83 days ago

Both spooky games look great and comes loaded.

Jaws better be a loaded banger, or else stern will have to figure out fast what will be next to vault.

#42947 83 days ago
Quoted from NovaCade:

TCM looks great!

Indeed, impressive, I wasn’t expecting this title to be like that… two thumbs way up Spooky!

#42948 83 days ago

only on pinside, tcm hype thread full of complaints about Spooky and on what should be Stern hype thread for future release nothing but complaints about Stern. lol grass is always greener…..

#42949 82 days ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Both spooky games look great and comes loaded.
Jaws better be a loaded banger, or else stern will have to figure out fast what will be next to vault.

Stern will pull a page from Spooky two different themes on same layout. They will un-vault the Family Guy/Shrek pin

#42950 82 days ago

Kind of weird how Spooky can get all of these great assets, but Stern and JJP come up short a lot on that front.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy
Plastics
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
€ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore
Plastics
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations
Other
$ 15.00
Rubber/Silicone
NinjaCamp Mods
Rubber/Silicone
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Hollywood, FLORIDA
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions
Other
$ 80.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball
Decorations
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards
Pinball Machine
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hilton Head Island, SC
$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods
Shooter rods
$ 40.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster
Toys/Add-ons
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 45,572 posts in this topic. You are on page 859 of 912.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine/page/859 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.