BOPB (resized).jpg
Bart (resized).jpg
lXhuw-g3oqgeyejevdmar3cwzxeskx (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
27qb1c (resized).jpg
2014 Chicago auto show (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 45,568 posts in this topic. You are on page 854 of 912.
#42651 3 months ago

I was hoping you had the old version of your dream. I am digging the carpet also

#42652 3 months ago
Quoted from KING-HENRY:

..the A/V quality on good gear in a good room can often trump most commercial movie theaters..depends how much money you throw at it.

I would argue it doesn't take much to trump commercial cinemas outside of shear screen size. I have seen you around on AVS - nice theater.

#42653 3 months ago

I’m wondering about the age old postulating on the pluses and minuses on porting over LOTR to Spike 3. Stern should have a programmer build LOTR from scratch and Shirley it can be complete in 3 months, right? Just rebuild it Stern and you’re done. Sure, they could try porting it over, but that hasn’t been done yet. I say if Stern re-releases LOTR on Spike 3, I’d buy one.

#42654 3 months ago

Spike 3?

#42655 3 months ago
Quoted from KING-HENRY:

Specular highlights in HDR mode on a highend JVC projector onto 120" screen with a 7.4.2 Dolby Atmos setup is an unbelivable experience in the home with proper light-treated walls/ceiling..the A/V quality on good gear in a good room can often trump most commercial movie theaters..depends how much money you throw at it. The original Blade Runner remastered in 4K HDR and dolby atmos is something to behold

Maybe my eyes maxed out or something, but I can barely tell the difference between 4k and 1080p. I still love how 1080p Blus look on my projector. I just haven’t felt motivated to upgrade my setup. I think the first time I noticed 4k detail was my 50th time watching the Mario movie…I was like “oh, I can see the little hairline cracks in Bowser’s teeth”

#42656 3 months ago

The Simpsons should get another pin. The love for that franchise is universal.

#42657 3 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Maybe my eyes maxed out or something, but I can barely tell the difference between 4k and 1080p. I still love how 1080p Blus look on my projector. I just haven’t felt motivated to upgrade my setup. I think the first time I noticed 4k detail was my 50th time watching the Mario movie…I was like “oh, I can see the little hairline cracks in Bowser’s teeth”

Oh 1080P is absolutely no slouch! It’s the wide color gamut (HIgh dynamic range) that makes up for it ..4K or even 8K is splitting hair, depending on screen size and seating distance. My last JVC was essentially a 2K pj with e-shift that ‘emulated’ 4k. The Sonys and now the laser projectors do it natively, but it’s the native contrast ratio that truly makes the biggest diff.

#42658 3 months ago
Quoted from KING-HENRY:

Oh 1080P is absolutely no slouch! It’s the wide color gamut (HIgh dynamic range) that makes up for it ..4K or even 8K is splitting hair, depending on screen size and seating distance. My last JVC was essentially a 2K pj with e-shift that ‘emulated’ 4k. The Sonys and now the laser projectors do it natively, but it’s the native contrast ratio that truly makes the biggest diff.

And the light output. I do wish the JVCs had Sony input latency numbers for gaming, but for movies JVC is king. I am still on the NX9. I will go laser eventually, but I want to get some more ROI on this one and wait for pricing to continue to drop. Is there a HT sub forum anywhere here on Pinside? Love talking HT but I don't want to upset the already rowdy crowd here with off-topic posts.

#42659 3 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I watch my phone more than anything and we bought a new 65" only 2 months ago.

#42660 3 months ago

Based on comments Gomez made almost a year ago now about areas they were targeting for "improvement" (aka cost reduction) with Spike3, it seems to be imminent. Jaws seems to be a good time to launch it, but surely one of the 2024 titles will. Spike2 is getting pretty long in the tooth. Next year will be the 9th year of Spike systems. Whitestar went 12 years (with a modification at year 8). SAM went 12 years. Spike 3 would essentially be the 3rd modification to the Spike platform and the 8 year point seems about right.

#42661 3 months ago
Quoted from RA77:

Rutger is a Legend,
I do hope Stern Pinball will go this one.
Picked up today as well [quoted image]

Literally the only other top movie theme for me now that Jaws is coming

#42662 3 months ago
Quoted from KING-HENRY:

Hey, take this to a home theater thread…

No seriously, I’ll join. Another expensive hobby that i wish i didn’t enjoy so much

#42663 3 months ago
Quoted from mbl1116:

Hey, take this to a home theater thread…
No seriously, I’ll join. Another expensive hobby that i wish i didn’t enjoy so much

When I bought my first projector - I was joking about how the Avatar LE pinball machine was more expensive than my 3D Projector, Avatar 3D Blu, screen, receiver & speakers. That’s when Avatar LE was $5000 lol. It’s probably still relatively cheaper than pinball to set up a decent home theater.

#42664 3 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Jaws seems to be a good time to launch it, but surely one of the 2024 titles will

I hope Jaws doesn't come with a new system. I had Jaws on my radar but there is no way I will buy any title that is the first run of a major engineering change which is akin to paying to be a beta tester.

#42665 3 months ago
Quoted from Molon_Labe:

I hope Jaws doesn't come with a new system. I had Jaws on my radar but there is no way I will buy any title that is the first run of a major engineering change which is akin to paying to be a beta tester.

Spike3 likely will be a tweaked evolution, like Spike1 to Spike2 when they moved from DMD to LCD screens, and may not just be limited to electronics as Gomez talked about addressing the cabinet like he did for the head when they made it mostly metal.

I had pins on both sides of that Spike1->Spike2 transition and I don't remember any real issues with the transition except issues with 3rd party shaker motors and a capacitor and zip tie kit Stern sent out after the fact to prevent node issues. It was a pretty smooth transition.

I'm not too worried about the change. On the plus side, they can fix some of the engineering weak spots of Spike2 in the process.

#42666 3 months ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

I watch my phone more than anything and we bought a new 65" only 2 months ago.

I think a lot of people do this. Personally my vision doesn't let me get away with looking at a phone for any length of time so I like the fact that Roku lets me load all the apps like Max, Netflix and YoutTube etc onto my TV. I prefer its interface to any of the SmartTV interfaces.

#42667 3 months ago

Somebody's says Jaws will have an upper playfield. Hopefully not a plastic playfield that will fog with wear over time.

#42668 3 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Based on comments Gomez made almost a year ago now about areas they were targeting for "improvement" (aka cost reduction) with Spike3, it seems to be imminent. Jaws seems to be a good time to launch it, but surely one of the 2024 titles will. Spike2 is getting pretty long in the tooth. Next year will be the 9th year of Spike systems. Whitestar went 12 years (with a modification at year 8). SAM went 12 years. Spike 3 would essentially be the 3rd modification to the Spike platform and the 8 year point seems about right.

Jan 2024 would be a perfect time to launch Spike 3.. would love to see it.

I'm not pre-ordering anything anymore, but I'm definitely interested in Jaws. Hoping my neighbor just gets one, he is on the waiting list.

#42669 3 months ago

This might of been answered before. What will be the major changes that Spike 3 will have that Spike 2 doesnt

#42670 3 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Lol. Physically you have to sit really close or have a ginormous screen to be able to notice a difference. I see no need upgrading since when it‘s getting late and my eyes are tired I‘m not even able to spot a difference between a good DVD and BluRay anymore. (Getting old.) XD

#42671 3 months ago
Quoted from Rizmo:

This might of been answered before. What will be the major changes that Spike 3 will have that Spike 2 doesnt

A higher price tag?

#42672 3 months ago
Quoted from JakePG:

A higher price tag?

Hopefully no increases for a year or so!!

#42673 3 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

On the plus side, they can fix some of the engineering weak spots of Spike2 in the process.

Improvements are always welcome, but I will still hold fast until they are in the wild and tested.

#42674 3 months ago
Quoted from chad:

Hopefully no increases for a year or so!!

"Stern should raise prices, why wouldn't they?" - Pinside Idiot circa 2021
"Businesses (Stern) are there to make money!" - Pinside Idiot circa 2022
"Pinball machines are not investments!" - Pinside Idiot circa 2023

"Who cares what game they make, pinball is overpriced, mass produced,
and played out." - Me circa 1pm today

#42675 3 months ago
Quoted from Rizmo:

replacement node boards that incompatible with anything prior and that will cost owners and owners even more than spike 1 and 2 boards.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#42676 3 months ago
Quoted from Prince66cali:

"Stern should raise prices, why wouldn't they?" - Pinside Idiot circa 2021
"Businesses (Stern) are there to make money!" - Pinside Idiot circa 2022
"Pinball machines are not investments!" - Pinside Idiot circa 2023
"Who cares what game they make, pinball is overpriced, mass produced,
and played out." - PINSIDE IDIOT circa 1pm today

You forgot to put Pinside Idiot next to your comment!

#42677 3 months ago
Quoted from Rizmo:

What will be the major changes that Spike 3 will have that Spike 2 doesnt

Hoping for,
Upgraded audio amplifier and better quality speakers. Dolby ? ha, one can dream
Faster processor, increased memory.
Bluetooth connection.
Quiet power supply.
External cab lighting. Perhaps EL ?
LCD in apron.
IC scanner made smaller or relocated elsewhere other than apron.

#42678 3 months ago
Quoted from kool1:

Jan 2024 would be a perfect time to launch Spike 3.. would love to see it.
I'm not pre-ordering anything anymore, but I'm definitely interested in Jaws. Hoping my neighbor just gets one, he is on the waiting list.

I'm jealous you have neighbors who like, and buy, pins!

Sometimes I leave the games on and the front blinds open in an attempt to attract like minded neighbors.

#42679 3 months ago
Quoted from j_m_:

replacement node boards that incompatible with anything prior and that will cost owners and owners even more than spike 1 and 2 boards.

Are Spike 1 node boards currently available for purchase or special order?

#42680 3 months ago
Quoted from kool1:

They do? Which one?</

The Simpsons should get another pin. The love for that franchise is universal.

but they have a good pin out for them, i think they owe us a south park game that ain't a turd.

#42681 3 months ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

but they have a good pin out for them, i think they owe us a south park game that ain't a turd.

Would love a SLE Tegridy Farms Edition

#42682 3 months ago
Quoted from chad:

Somebody's says Jaws will have an upper playfield. Hopefully not a plastic playfield that will fog with wear over time.

Since they shot it in New England, fog would be on theme.

#42683 3 months ago
Quoted from RA77:

Hoping for,
Bluetooth connection.
Quiet power supply.
LCD in apron.
IC scanner made smaller or relocated elsewhere to apron.

^^^ Upgraded audio and bluetooth (plus AUX jack!) should be standard for these machines. If you're playing in a loud venue, the ability to put headphones on and hear the game/callouts would be awesome. Cannot be that expensive of an addition. JJP has it on G'N'R and probably others. For such a premium cost users should be getting more value out of the machines.

#42684 3 months ago
Quoted from kell:

Sometimes I leave the games on and the front blinds open in an attempt to attract like minded neighbors.

I do the same. It never seems to work.

#42685 3 months ago
Quoted from kell:

I'm jealous you have neighbors who like, and buy, pins!

For some reason I immediately thought of this:

cstory (resized).jpgcstory (resized).jpg
#42686 3 months ago
Quoted from Rizmo:

I broke it down in another thread, based on what Gomez has said in interviews, but I don't remember which thread, so I can't link it.

Off the top of my head, specifically mentioned:
Faster processor with more power
Better/quieter/different power supply
Some change to the lower cabinet to make it more like the mostly metal head that was cost-reduced.

#42687 3 months ago

I often hear grumbling about the metal backbox. Forgive me, but what’s the problem?

Is it just a purist / tradition thing relative to older more classic games, or is there some real downside that I don’t yet know about?

#42688 3 months ago
Quoted from EtzEtz:

I often hear grumbling about the metal backbox. Forgive me, but what’s the problem?
Is it just a purist / tradition thing relative to older more classic games, or is there some real downside that I don’t yet know about?

I'm with you. I don't mind the metal backbox at all. A metal cab on the other hand seems like it would be more prone to rattles and vibrations from shaker motors and the cabinet sub. I guess we'll all start buying lots of sound deadening material if Stern goes that route

#42689 3 months ago

Personally, I'll take the metal backbox over the older style Stern backbox with that ugly foil trim around the edges any day. It just looks better to me, and the angled speaker panel is a plus too.

That power switch location is a different story, though!

#42690 3 months ago
Quoted from EtzEtz:

Stern games already slide around because they are so light. Can you imagine what a metal cab would be like? I can't imagine. If it aint broke...

#42691 3 months ago

retrocengo made a post about being disappointed that jaws won’t be spike 3. He doesn’t trade rumors much so i’m lowering my expectations for seeing it with the jaws release.

#42692 3 months ago

No way This rumor can be legit - If you want to see slow sales, please make Journey your next music pin.

#42693 3 months ago

How do you ground stuff with a metal cab?

#42694 3 months ago

The metal back box might be used to pass the UL code. It might be used to block RF or EI

#42695 3 months ago
Quoted from RA77:

Hoping for,
Bluetooth connection.
Quiet power supply.
LCD in apron.
IC scanner made smaller or relocated elsewhere to apron.

The first thing I‘m ready to give up on on pinball for a price benefit is lighting outside of the actual game and multiple Screens.
I find those LCD Toppers, like Elton John, totally lackluster.
I‘m playing pinball to NOT watch a screen for a while.

Apron LCD by itself is ok if course but for me then take it out of the Backbox.
Having said that, Stern Home Star Wars & JP mini LCD would‘ve been better suited in the Apron.

#42696 3 months ago

Where does that Spike 3 rumour come from?

And will it still have the 30 year old Whitestar DMD Service Menu?

#42697 3 months ago

It doesn't sound like Jaws is going to be released any time soon.

#42698 3 months ago
Quoted from Ty-Arnold:

It doesn't sound like Jaws is going to be released any time soon.

With the market putting pressure on Stern to lower prices, why release a potential blockbuster soon? Wait til things cool off even more and then…BAM!

#42699 3 months ago
Quoted from underlord:

With the market putting pressure on Stern to lower prices, why release a potential blockbuster soon? Wait til things cool off even more and then…BAM!

but releasing dud after dud costs a lot of money and resources

#42700 3 months ago
Quoted from underlord:

Its obvious to me that's what the plan is. Why would you move to a bigger factory and put the stress on yourself of getting a new epic game out when you can just play the Greatest Hits and pay those bills!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
Led
$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 210.00
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Toys/Add-ons
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lambertville, MI
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe
Cabinet parts
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Augustine, FL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop
Toys/Add-ons
€ 7.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals
Flipper parts
Lighting - Interactive
Rocket City Pinball
Interactive
$ 24.25
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple
Shooter rods
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop
Backbox
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 45,568 posts in this topic. You are on page 854 of 912.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine/page/854 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.