Albumism_TheCars_TheCars_16x9.jpg
IMG_1935 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240412_203046_Chrome (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240412_203117_Chrome (resized).jpg
DSC06496 (resized).JPG
DSC06495 (resized).JPG
DSC05223 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 46,853 posts in this topic. You are on page 732 of 938.
#36551 1 year ago
Quoted from Grantman:

It's probably going to be a boutique game, not a cornerstone. I'm confident that something else is coming out this year in addition to the 2 cornerstones. Gomez has hinted at some "surprises."

Bond 60th was the boutique game, so that ship has sailed. The surprises will most likely be vault game(s) that are possibly updates to SPIKE 2 LCD (Tron? LOTR?). The next two cornerstones are already known.

#36552 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The investment group bought a controlling interest when Stern almost went under, so that was as close to a private sale as Stern will ever do, already. If they IPO, I think it would be a terrible investment, but it will be interesting to watch when they have to report their financials - something we can only guess at now. Anyone who has dealt with parts or read employee reviews at places like Glassdoor knows they are not a well-managed company.

Oh my. Could you imagine the threads that would start for Pinside MBAs to debate and extrapolate meaning from every line on a pinball company’s financial statements?

#36553 1 year ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Oh my. Could you imagine the threads that would start for Pinside MBAs to debate and extrapolate meaning from every line on a pinball company’s financial statements?

It would be super-interesting. For sure. So I am suddenly pro-IPO for that reason alone.

#36554 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

being a publicly traded company is a lot of overhead... a lot of times doesn't make sense for a small company (yes, this is a small company)

I think the IPO would give them some working capital to grow.

#36555 1 year ago

I could see a company like Disney eventually buying out Stern

That would be the worst case scenario

#36556 1 year ago

Pinside MBAs

Best idea I've heard all day

#36557 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

Bond 60th was the boutique game, so that ship has sailed. The surprises will most likely be vault game(s) that are possibly updates to SPIKE 2 LCD (Tron? LOTR?). The next two cornerstones are already known.

Maybe I missed it, but what are the known cornerstones after venom?

#36558 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

You must love disappointment? Eddy's next game is Venom. Granted it's been delayed a couple of times, so he is probably done with it and working on his next game after Venom for a while now. The people in the know here on pinside and some insiders that I know have no knowledge of BTTF in the pipeline. The next three cornerstones are basically always known, so this puts BTTF at least late 2024 or early 2025 IF AT ALL. Sorry. I really wish it would come out next just to pull the Band-Aid and get it over with.

Come on brother. You know just as well as I do the next Stern is always BTTF!

#36559 1 year ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

Come on brother. You know just as well as I do the next Stern is always BTTF!

Lol! That’s what I was waiting for, took awhile!

#36560 1 year ago
Quoted from Prince66cali:

I could see a company like Disney eventually buying out Stern
That would be the worst case scenario

Disney would be terrible. They have proven over and over in the game space that they're terrible doing their own software. They do much better licensing stuff out and reaping the cash from games made by people who know what they're doing.

#36561 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

The next two cornerstones are already known.

Ohhh. Care to share what they are?

Venom?
Jaws?
BTTF?

#36562 1 year ago

I was listening to a podcast today with Gomez. He was talking about how the next two games are really fun and we will have our minds blown. Now Idk if he was talking about Foo Fighters being one of those or the next two after Foo Fighters. Also he said the reason they went to two cornerstones was because they wanted to get caught up on their backlog. I wonder once they are caught up if they will continue with two games a year or if they will go back to 3 games a year

#36563 1 year ago

Gomez talked about Stranger Things again in "Free Play Pinball Podcast Episode 21: Hanging With Our Homie Gomie" (https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-zbn8u-13b0c9f).

Key quote from Gomez: The good news is that you are probably going to see them again from us. I don't know when.

#36564 1 year ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

I don't think they will sell out outright in one piece...... they'll get the most via an IPO, especially if they can get a sweetheart multiple.
It'll take them longer to dump their shares, but they'll be worth so much more. Sorta like how Vince McMahon was a Billionaire (in stock) but not in cash.
I do wonder what Stern's valuation is as it stands now. Annual sales is what? At bond prices, before dealer cut, their gross is somewhere around 300 million.
Costs: (In Millions)
Lease $2.7
Workforce (450) $30 (Averaging $60,000 plus added $6,000,000 for benefits & exec pay/bonuses - we know the majority don't make $60k)
Input $115 (this is high for sure..... averaging $4000 a machine - it's lower than that)
Dealer $45
Misc $4
Net $100.3
So a modest 10x multiple would be just above 1 Billion, but with the potential of 2-3x production from the new factory, and a history of fat price hikes...... it could get a 15x or 20x multiple fairly easy. Year over year has to be 30% for at least five years (HOT). Also don't know cash on hand.
That would make Gary a billionaire instantly on IPO day.
You can also see that the 1st thing to go after an IPO is clawing back all that juicy dealer cash, and go direct to consumer. Shareholders are going to demand it: it would increase profits by almost 50%. Once Gary is out of the way, the suits will play.

Good info. Where most people go wrong is they don’t generalize that Stern builds roughly 20k games a year at an average price of $10k is $200M gross in sales. Assuming 1/2 cost incurred for all labor, all materials, design, manufacturings, sales and support and Gary and partner may divy up $100M in profits. Five years would generates $500M in cash. Based on that level of profitability and cash flow you’d expect the company to fetch $1B in an all out ipo.

So that is where some of your accounting is a meaningful way to arrive at a similar conclusion.

#36565 1 year ago

The last thing we want is for Stern to go public. If they did you can kiss quality goodbye. Profit margin becomes top priority more than it already is.

#36566 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Good info. Where most people go wrong is they don’t generalize that Stern builds roughly 20k games a year at an average price of $10k is $200M gross in sales. Assuming 1/2 cost incurred for all labor, all materials, design, manufacturings, sales and support and Gary and partner may divy up $100M in profits. Five years would generates $500M in cash. Based on that level of profitability and cash flow you’d expect the company to fetch $1B in an all out ipo.
So that is where some of your accounting is a meaningful way to arrive at a similar conclusion.

I doubt they are making 50% profit. More likely around 15%.

#36567 1 year ago
Quoted from Grantman:

Gomez talked about Stranger Things again in "Free Play Pinball Podcast Episode 21: Hanging With Our Homie Gomie" (https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-zbn8u-13b0c9f).
Key quote from Gomez: The good news is that you are probably going to see them again from us. I don't know when.

Fingers crossed! I want one really bad but can’t stomach the inflated prices on used ones right now.

#36568 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

"Past performance is not indicative of future results."
Especially not recent past. Stern has a bunch of rundown to the dirt moments in their past. This could just be another peak, followed by a "to the dirt" episode. It seems WAY too early for them to be considering an IPO.

Lol Have you not seen stupid rich investors throwing money at stupid shit? Stern is a solid money maker for the past 10 years easy, and clearly have not met demand. I could see an IPO in the fufure.

#36569 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Lol Have you not seen stupid rich investors throwing money at stupid shit? Stern is a solid money maker for the past 10 years easy, and clearly have not met demand. I could see an IPO in the fufure.

Fair point.

But yeah, the only reason I'd be okay with a Stern IPO that I think would be bad for pinball is to see those 10Q reports.

#36570 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Fair point.
But yeah, the only reason I'd be okay with a Stern IPO that I think would be bad for pinball is to see those 10Q reports.

Definitely not good, just like bringing a Disney guy on board. They would kill Micky Mouses grandmouse for a buck. They dont care if Stern pinball isnt the same in 5 years. $$$$

#36571 1 year ago

The market for this product is not large enough for a public company. It’s not going to happen. Hopefully their bank is not SVB.

#36572 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Ohhh. Care to share what they are?
Venom?
Jaws?
BTTF?

Think it's Venom and Jaws, not BTTF.

#36573 1 year ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Think it's Venom and Jaws, not BTTF.

I agree with you.. I do not think BTTF is coming either.

#36574 1 year ago

Bill & Ted would be cool, but I really want Wayne's World....I guess this is like the people that wanted a Godfather pinball machine?

Quoted from pinballaddicted:

I agree with you.. I do not think BTTF is coming either.

I think that as Stern runs out of easier to acquire licenses, we'll see Back to the Future eventually, just not in the near future. They'll spend big dollars for the license and it will have a big price tag.

#36575 1 year ago

I think that as Stern runs out of easier to acquire licenses, we'll see Back to the Future eventually, just not in the near future. They'll spend big dollars for the license and it will have a big price tag.

I think JJP would release BTTF not Stern. If that happens. I’m sure they would sell out in an instant

#36576 1 year ago

All new pins sell out in an instant now, don't be silly .

#36577 1 year ago

Be cool if someone could do a pinball music swap for Foo using 311

#36578 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Be cool if someone could do a pinball music swap for Foo using 311

Yup. Make foo a Skinnable band jukebox style pin, generic enough, cartoony, Saturday morning themed.. like justice league, but the various bands are the superheroes, just load new bands, pick your band (or shuffle bands) at startup, the theme will PnP all rock music.

#36579 1 year ago

All of the sudden the Next Stern thread goes silent? Could it be all the new game releases this week?
mark-wahlberg-crickets.gifmark-wahlberg-crickets.gif
crickets.gifcrickets.gif

#36580 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

All of the sudden the Next Stern thread goes silent? Could it be all the new game releases this week?
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Most interested in GTF myself, followed by Pulp Fiction.

#36581 1 year ago

Most interested in GTF myself

It's weird even the hype has simmered down for Bond 60th-I think people are bamboozled by all the releases-I know I am.

You get a pinball, and you get a pinball, and you get a pinball-everyone gets new pinball machines!

oprah.gifoprah.gif
#36582 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

It's weird even the hype has simmered down for Bond 60th-I think people are bamboozled by all the releases-I know I am.
You get a pinball, and you get a pinball, and you get a pinball-everyone gets new pinball machines!
[quoted image]

Lol

#36583 1 year ago

It's finally here... Pinball burnout. Too many too fast. Must unplug, get back to real life, eat, work, talk to humans, family, chores, sleep. Oh yeah, play pinball, almost forgot.

#36584 1 year ago

If its JAWS I'm selling some of my body parts for an LE.

#36585 1 year ago

Most interested in GTF myself, followed by Pulp Fiction.

PF looks like a smash hit. LE is pretty much sold out.

Imagine what Bond 60 could have been with good art, Elwin and a sub-$10K price tag!

#36586 1 year ago

One of my dream pins, that’s what.
Truly. Well said.

Quoted from kool1:

Imagine what Bond 60 could have been with good art, Elwin and a sub-$10K price tag!

#36587 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

Instead look what greed got them.
Goes to show that pinball might be ok without Stern after all.

#36588 1 year ago

did anyone see the new release from JJP. GodFather 50th Anniversary Pinball? Looks Great! Maybe Stern should do a Scarface pinball.

#36589 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

Not sure about that game. It looks like a throwback, old school.

#36590 1 year ago
Quoted from Rizmo:

I think JJP would release BTTF not Stern. If that happens. I’m sure they would sell out in an instant

I think Stern have plenty of licences to revisit. Transformers, Iron Man, Metallica, Tron, Ghostbusters and ACDC just to name a few. Stern could remake the originals or create new games. The main issue is Stern still do not have any major competition to keep pricing down. I love CGC and AP however the reality is they do not have the production capability to meet demand. JJP have nearly priced themselves out, another price rise will not go well for them

#36591 1 year ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

Mom needs a new liver, let me know.

#36592 1 year ago

Does anyone know if Stern will be retiring StarWars? That game has been out since what 2017? Does it really still sell that well for them not to retire it. I feel like after 6 years if you wanted one you would have it by then.

#36593 1 year ago
Quoted from Rizmo:

Does anyone know if Stern will be retiring StarWars? That game has been out since what 2017? Does it really still sell that well for them not to retire it. I feel like after 6 years if you wanted one you would have it by then.

Maybe it's due to licensing reasons. Maybe they have to make it.
But looking at how dealers still have stock from the last (presumably smallish) run I do think demand is really getting quite low for it. Hopefully they don't stick dealers with a bunch more they can't sell.

#36594 1 year ago
Quoted from Rizmo:

Empire Strikes Back would be a killer title for Stern that would continue their Star Wars momentum and make for a killer lineup in a collection.

#36595 1 year ago

Elwin

Quoted from ExSquid:

Better start saving… it is a 4 flipper Elwin Jaws. Coming next year!

#36596 1 year ago
Quoted from brickbuilder14:

Elwin

Better start saving… it is a 4 flipper Elwin Jaws. Coming next year!

Someone mentioned Jaws, Indy Jones perhaps next year.

#36597 1 year ago
Quoted from brickbuilder14:

4 flipper Elwin Jaws

Why does this sound sooooo good?

Oh yeah. That's why..

#36598 1 year ago
Quoted from RetroRambler:

Empire Strikes Back would be a killer title for Stern that would continue their Star Wars momentum and make for a killer lineup in a collection.

Star Wars a bit disappointing but a new Empire Strikes Back would be killer.

Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

Instead look what greed got them.
Goes to show that pinball might be ok without Stern after all.

I don't blame Stern. Licensor asked for the pin to be the way it is. It's meant for wealthy Bond collectors.

#36599 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

Maybe it's due to licensing reasons. Maybe they have to make it.
But looking at how dealers still have stock from the last (presumably smallish) run I do think demand is really getting quite low for it. Hopefully they don't stick dealers with a bunch more they can't sell.

It also kills me how the comic art version is the better of the two and they keep re-running the original art.

#36600 1 year ago
Quoted from ahdelarge:

It also kills me how the comic art version is the better of the two and they keep re-running the original art.

It’s because comic art was retired quite some time ago.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Drumstarr mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 47.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Space Coast Pinball

$ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ashland, KY
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

There are 46,853 posts in this topic. You are on page 732 of 938.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine/page/732 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.