51AE3C41-1E6E-417B-B0FC-EAF0D317F2BB.gif
vince-neil-is-upset (resized).jpg
Severance (resized).JPG
We_were_on_a_break1-ezgif.com-webp-to-gif-converter.gif
maxresdefault (resized).jpeg
images (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1713427968712 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 47,047 posts in this topic. You are on page 705 of 941.
#35201 1 year ago
Quoted from Grantman:

First of all, Elwin did the 60th anniversary Bond which was just released. Second, you are assuming that 2 cornerstones in 2023 means those are the only new games that Stern will make. Based on previous rumors, there is a good chance of a boutique (non-cornerstone) game coming out at some point.

I am going off of what Gomez said when he was a guest on multiple podcasts. Stern still has a massive backlog they need to get through. Think of all the poor people waiting for their Elvira and having to go through two price increases. Also they will be moving facilities so I cant imagine they would be going full steam ahead during the move. It will take a bit for them to get back on track. Hopefully the supply chain will get better. As well as the ability to find quality workers who will actually work. All of these factors I do not see them putting out more than 2 new releases this year.

#35202 1 year ago

Is Bond stream still on for end of this month? Hope so, unless some new wrinkle has developed. Any leaking lips got an update?

#35203 1 year ago

Why the heck is anyone talking about Foo Fighters? lol This is the list Stern or anyone should be using to decide the next music pin.

https://ledgernote.com/blog/interesting/best-selling-artists-of-all-time/

Sorry but next up is Drake (who I can't stand, but obviously I'm out of touch, as are, i assume, most of us here).
After that we skip Michael Jackson for obvious reasons and it's Rihanna, which would make a damn fine pinball theme.
Eminem, Madonna, and Justin Beiber to round out the top 10 (that haven't already had a pin).

Foo Fighter and Ozzy are small potatoes compared to these guys, sorry.

#35204 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

Why the heck is anyone talking about Foo Fighters? lol This is the list Stern or anyone should be using to decide the next music pin.
https://ledgernote.com/blog/interesting/best-selling-artists-of-all-time/
Sorry but next up is Drake (who I can't stand, but obviously I'm out of touch, as are, i assume, most of us here).
After that we skip Michael Jackson for obvious reasons and it's Rihanna, which would make a damn fine pinball theme.
Eminem, Madonna, and Justin Beiber to round out the top 10 (that haven't already had a pin).
Foo Fighter and Ozzy are small potatoes compared to these guys, sorry.

I think you are discounting the buying demographic for pinball machines. The target demographic is 40-60 year old men for most of the pinball machine buying market.

Rihanna, Justin Beiber and Drake are not popular properties with that demographic.

Madonna and Eminem would be viable as are the “dad rock” bands like Ozzy, etc.

Foo Fighters is actually one of the bands that are still relatively current but also have significant ties to the demographic from Grohl’s time with Nirvana. Nirvana would be a great theme but the issue of trying to deal with Courtney Love makes that one very difficult.

#35205 1 year ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

I think you are discounting the buying demographic for pinball machines. The target demographic is 40-60 year old men for most of the pinball machine buying market.

But I think that's exactly the attitude that keeps the demographics of pinball small and sheltered. There are plenty of millionaires who love Drake (gag) and would never consider pinball because all they see is Rush and Led Zepplin. If you want to expand the purchasing base you need to give them something new that actually interests them. Who knows how a Drake (gag) pinball machine might perform because the current companies haven't tried anything that ballsy and mainstream yet. Everything is either Dad rock, Pinball History, or SciFi/Fantasy/Comics. The only real contemporary, non-nostaligia themes I see in the top 50 are The Big Lewboski, Stranger Things, Rick and Morty, The Walking Dead, Dialed In and Toy Story; none of the music themed. Sooner or later one of these companies is going to have to go out on a limb and produce a hip-hop pin for the under 60 crowd.

#35206 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

Sooner or later one of these companies is going to have to go out on a limb and produce a hip-hop pin for the under 60 crowd.

Two thoughts:
1) Maybe they approached Drake, etc., and they weren't interested.
2) Maybe Drake, etc., was interested but wanted too much money. That's why there is no Prince pinball machine.

The few pinball companies that exist only put out 1-3 titles per year so they can't take huge risks with new themes. Stern could take a chance at this point (and maybe they are working on it) but probably not any other company.

#35207 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Stern, presumebly.
And seriously would anybody actually buy a Foo Fighters pin, or do people just seem to think they want it. I have a very hard time seeing that one fly off the shelves, especially at the new and improved pricing

I'm assuming they'd do the Studio 666 movie angle if Foo is actually real. But that bombed pretty hard, so I have a difficult time believing that's even a real angle, too.

#35208 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

But I think that's exactly the attitude that keeps the demographics of pinball small and sheltered. There are plenty of millionaires who love Drake (gag) and would never consider pinball because all they see is Rush and Led Zepplin. If you want to expand the purchasing base you need to give them something new that actually interests them. Who knows how a Drake (gag) pinball machine might perform because the current companies haven't tried anything that ballsy and mainstream yet. Everything is either Dad rock, Pinball History, or SciFi/Fantasy/Comics. The only real contemporary, non-nostaligia themes I see in the top 50 are The Big Lewboski, Stranger Things, Rick and Morty, The Walking Dead, Dialed In and Toy Story; none of the music themed. Sooner or later one of these companies is going to have to go out on a limb and produce a hip-hop pin for the under 60 crowd.

I'll say it again, companies do market research, why would Stern produce something if they are unsure its going to sell? Stern is not being held hostage by us.

#35209 1 year ago

Taylor Swift

#35210 1 year ago

Only bands I can think of dropping 13k on an le is Ozzy and Muse. I like Foo fighters but now at 13k idk.

#35211 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I'll say it again, companies do market research, why would Stern produce something if they are unsure its going to sell? Stern is not being held hostage by us.

Not to be rude, but you can say it all you like; do you have any actual evidence or proof that Stern does market research beyond pinside and pinball gatherings?

Do you really think market research led them to decide Rush was the most desired musical themed pin they could produce? Or Sean Connery Bond for that matter? I suspect Grantman may be closer to the truth. A cheap license popular with the over 60 crowd seems the safe bet, no market research necessary.

#35212 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

Not to be rude, but you can say it all you like; do you have any actual evidence or proof that Stern does market research beyond pinside and pinball gatherings?
Do you really think market research led them to decide Rush was the most desired musical themed pin they could produce? Or Sean Connery Bond for that matter? I suspect Grantman may be closer to the truth. A cheap license popular with the over 60 crowd seems the safe bet, no market research necessary.

Kicking out words of wisdom. What's up Jake?

#35213 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

Yes, Black Sabbath would sell like crazy. Bring it Stern!

#35214 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

I think it comes down to Stern's annual license budget.
They shift between cheap and expensive to try and balance costs. The expensive ones also don't get all the assets normally. Balance.

'19
Munsters = Cheap
BKSOR = Cheap
JP = Expensive, but cheaper than JW (and without assets)
EHOH = Cheap
STH = Expensive

'20
TMNT = Cheap
AIQ = Cheap
LZ = Expensive (Music Rights)

'21
Mando = Expensive
GZ = Cheap

'22
Rush = Cheapish (Music Rights)
JB = Expensive

Where does Stern get a lot of their ideas for a theme? At licensing shows. They find what's cheap, probably appeals to a good portion of players (or at least enough), and go with that. Never know what's going to be a hit and what's going to be a miss...... just grab whatever is convenient. Whenever they start out with an assumed instant blockbuster it's always a flop.

Essentially they buy themes on sale most of the time.

#35215 1 year ago

Looking forward to the next Rock Pin - I'd be happy with Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath or Motley Crue.

#35216 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

Nah, you are right. Stern, a multimillion dollar company, just wings it and hopes for the best. They should probably buy lottery tickets, seems the dart to the board while blind folded is working out well for them.

And yes, Stern said there are more Rush fans with $$$ than Foo Fighters fans with only$$ Just like they did with Zep, just like they will with Ozzy.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#35217 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

Stern does have a marketing dept, would that possibly entail market research?

https://sternpinball.com/2021/11/16/stern-pinball-enhances-sales-and-marketing-department/

#35218 1 year ago

My better half wants a boy band pin so bad. She said a mashup of Backstreet Boys and Nysnc is her dream theme

#35219 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

Journey would do great with men and women in the 40 to bracket.

#35220 1 year ago

MacGyver for the win. I could see plenty of cheap campy assets used like GZ. Shoot shot combos and such to make gizmos and gadgets to fight bad guys and solve puzzles. Timed wizard mode with precision shots to diffuse the bomb without triggering an explosion. (Stern, thank me later).

#35221 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Stern does have a marketing dept, would that possibly entail market research?
https://sternpinball.com/2021/11/16/stern-pinball-enhances-sales-and-marketing-department/

No, dude, you are just proving my point. Marketing is sales, (happens after the product is already developed). Market research is research and development (before the product is made). Fairly unrelated. No where in that guys job description does it mention market research. :-/ But again, if anyone has any proof Stern does real market research outside the all ready established pinball community, I'd love to see it.

But I think PinStalker has it right.

#35222 1 year ago
Screenshot_20230118_151842_Instagram (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230118_151842_Instagram (resized).jpg
#35223 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

They should probably buy lottery tickets, seems the dart to the board while blind folded is working out well for them.

Meanwhile at Stern..

63fxbb (resized).png63fxbb (resized).png
#35224 1 year ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

Whenever they start out with an assumed instant blockbuster it's always a flop.

Why do you think that happens?

I'm not sure there are enough examples to make this conclusion. Are you thinking Avatar? IJ4? What else?

#35225 1 year ago

I do enjoy the fact that I can read pinside posts from my home… with the sheer amount of people talking out of their ass on here, I have to imagine the smell would be awful.

#35226 1 year ago
Quoted from briyau15:

I’ve seen these mentioned before but would definitely purchase:
Batman Animated Series

YES. Batman The Animated Series. That intro.. still, so good.

BMTAS.gifBMTAS.gif
#35227 1 year ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

My better half wants a boy band pin so bad. She said a mashup of Backstreet Boys and Nysnc is her dream theme

What, no O-Town or 98 Degrees?

#35228 1 year ago
Quoted from Grantman:

Why do you think that happens?
I'm not sure there are enough examples to make this conclusion. Are you thinking Avatar? IJ4? What else?

Happens almost every time.

Failed Blockbusters (I.E. Expensive Licenses that don't sell as well as "cheap" licenses and typically no interest after release)
Terminator 3
Austin Powers
Elvis
Sopranos
Shrek
POTC
IJ
Batman (2008)
Transformers
GOT
STH
Beatles
LZ
Mando
JB (yeah it's early, but you can already tell.... no lasting wide interest in this game or it's variant)
*Note the license would be expensive at the time of production, not necessarily now*

Maybe I shouldn't have said always..... there are a few outliers with really expensive licenses...
Intended blockbusters with expensive licenses that succeeded right out of the gate:
Kiss
Metallica
JP
SW

Stern has a 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 batting average with expensive licenses (IMO).

#35229 1 year ago

Jody, I know you're lurking on Pinside and laughing right now.

#35230 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

MacGyver for the win.

I would rather see Macgruber.

BB5F6601-230C-4E05-B5FE-7CDD6AFD2868.gifBB5F6601-230C-4E05-B5FE-7CDD6AFD2868.gif
#35231 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

No, dude, you are just proving my point. Marketing is sales, (happens after the product is already developed). Market research is research and development (before the product is made). Fairly unrelated. No where in that guys job description does it mention market research. :-/ But again, if anyone has any proof Stern does real market research outside the all ready established pinball community, I'd love to see it.
But I think PinStalker has it right.

Yea, ESTABLISHED pinbuying community and it appears the pinbuying community is speaking, so its old man bands and marvel movies. And $20,000 pins to boot.

Do some of your own market research and prove Stern wrong, we all know pinball is easy...

#35232 1 year ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

Happens almost every time.
Failed Blockbusters (I.E. Expensive Licenses that don't sell as well as "cheap" licenses and typically no interest after release)
Terminator 3
Austin Powers
Elvis
Sopranos
Shrek
POTC
IJ
Batman (2008)
Transformers
GOT
STH
Beatles
LZ
Mando
JB (yeah it's early, but you can already tell.... no lasting wide interest in this game or it's variant)
*Note the license would be expensive at the time of production, not necessarily now*
Maybe I shouldn't have said always..... there are a few outliers with really expensive licenses...
Intended blockbusters with expensive licenses that succeeded right out of the gate:
Kiss
Metallica
JP
SW
Stern has a 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 batting average with expensive licenses (IMO).

Do you have Sterns production numbers to know all this info?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#35233 1 year ago

If the expensive themes aren't more profitable than the cheap themes, then I would stick with the cheap themes.

Come on, MST3K pinball...

#35234 1 year ago
Quoted from djsoup:

YES. Batman The Animated Series. That intro.. still, so good.
[quoted image]

You know it! Just watched an episode with my boy tonight. Never realized the Grey Ghost / Simon Trent character was voiced by Adam West, which then led us to watching the Batman Adam West show, which will now lead me to check out how much those pins are going for out of curiosity.

#35235 1 year ago
Quoted from Saltimbanco:

Meanwhile at Stern..

Misses the board entirely..hit's the Wall....PINK FLOYD for the win

#35236 1 year ago

So many rumors out there. Next Stern supposed to be music pin? Next release March? Next game Venom? Tron 2.0 LCD coming?, SAM game being remade? Foo Fighters(that may be a code name-can't imagine that can be real?). I am so confused

So confused (resized).jpgSo confused (resized).jpg
#35237 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

So many rumors out there. Next Stern supposed to be music pin? Next release March? Next game Venom? Tron 2.0 LCD coming?, SAM game being remade? Foo Fighters(that may be a code name-can't imagine that can be real?). I am so confused
[quoted image]

I think "Foo Fighters" is a code name for Pokemon. I think it would be a dynamite license for Stern and something that Zombie Yeti would be able to come up with a killer artwork package for. I can't see him doing a traditional band pin, animated and comic book characters are what he's best at.

#35238 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

[quoted image]

Without making an X-Files meme, I will just say the Truth is Out There.

#35239 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

Without making an X-Files meme, I will just say the Truth is Out There

These little teasers-C'mon Zach-jeesh

SAM game that was not well received...OK so all of them?

X-Files, Avaturd, IJ, Transformers, Rolling Stones? oh SAM I am with green eggs and ham .

I say bring back SAM all together(ditch node boards). After reading about Tigerlaws Dad's Aerosmith node board nightmare had me thinking about volatility of Spike in future. Blowing node boards is no Bueno.

#35240 1 year ago

I think the people who own the IPs. Need to let Stern do their own thing and create the world under glass. Im sure the people at James Bond were a pain in the ass to work with. These are some of the most ugly cabinets. Just copy and pasting movie posters all over the side. You really think that was Sterns idea when they have Franchi and Yeti. Stern will do a good job they want their games to sell so they wont butcher the IP

#35241 1 year ago

All the conversation about music pins made me curious about the data versus opinions. I started looking at album sales of Foo Fighters versus Black Sabbath but it's apples and oranges considering that people don't buy albums anymore, so I looked at Spotify data. Obviously, that would skew towards a younger band, so that's not fair either. But I went ahead and highlighted the artists that have machines in red, artists that have been rumored in green, and artists that have come up in the last week or so in this thread in purple.

Personally I would buy either Foo Fighters or Black Sabbath if they were as well done as Rush. I still don't really understand why Stern would choose to make a Venom machine but if it's Brian Eddy with Ozzy music then I will definitely put my order in.

Spotify Pinball (resized).jpgSpotify Pinball (resized).jpg
#35243 1 year ago

The only opinion you should care about is your own when it comes to music. I couldn't care less who sold how many albums if I don't like their music

Quoted from Duster72:

All the conversation about music pins made me curious about the data versus opinions. I started looking at album sales of Foo Fighters versus Black Sabbath but it's apples and oranges considering that people don't buy albums anymore, so I looked at Spotify data. Obviously, that would skew towards a younger band, so that's not fair either. But I went ahead and highlighted the artists that have machines in red, artists that have been rumored in green, and artists that have come up in the last week or so in this thread in purple.
Personally I would buy either Foo Fighters or Black Sabbath if they were as well done as Rush. I still don't really understand why Stern would choose to make a Venom machine but if it's Brian Eddy with Ozzy music then I will definitely put my order in.

#35244 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

[quoted image]

Foo-Fighters could be code for a Mr.T pin he is always fighting foos

#35245 1 year ago
Quoted from Rizmo:

Foo-Fighters could be code for a Mr.T pin he is always fighting foos

IMG_20210908_083153 (resized).jpgIMG_20210908_083153 (resized).jpg
#35246 1 year ago
E725DDBA-1509-49EB-A9A7-F7B6E104F0F6.jpegE725DDBA-1509-49EB-A9A7-F7B6E104F0F6.jpeg
#35247 1 year ago

16E7BC6F-E592-44C5-8700-AC97FE3D4711.jpeg16E7BC6F-E592-44C5-8700-AC97FE3D4711.jpeg

#35249 1 year ago

I’d love to see a new and innovative theme but here’s the reality:

Stern used to produce 4 cornerstones a year. Now it is 2 or three. Each one takes 12-18 months of development.

There is NO WAY they are going to spend that much time, money and effort on a theme they don’t think will be popular with their target audience. They simply can’t afford to have a theme that is a dud with only producing 2 or 3 titles a year.

They tried expanding the market with their home pin line, how’d that go?

Pinball is a niche market. It will continue to be a niche market. Stern will continue to produce machines that cater to that niche market.

Want a Drake machine? Home brew it.

#35250 1 year ago

Maybe the new Stern will be a Bond SSLE.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Games People

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Lighting - Led
Diddy's Pinball Mods

14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ashland, KY
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Twisted Tokens

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 28.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 47,047 posts in this topic. You are on page 705 of 941.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine/page/705?hl=knackers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.