20240423_100836 (resized).jpg
20240423_100825 (resized).jpg
20240423_100718 (resized).jpg
20240423_100723 (resized).jpg
Whoa (resized).jpg
51AE3C41-1E6E-417B-B0FC-EAF0D317F2BB.gif
vince-neil-is-upset (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 47,075 posts in this topic. You are on page 414 of 942.
#20651 2 years ago

Steve gets a bad rap starting with Star Wars, and it was undeserved on that one. That machine is fun as hell. Where he really seems to have started to slip was on BKSOR. It just didn’t work and it really exposed how far the pin world had passed him by. The avalanche of opinion was off and running by that point and it swept LZ up into its wake. I think LZ is a good, but nothing special game if it was judged standing purely on its own. But when you know it’s a SR game, you look at it sideways and wonder why it’s not Star Trek or Spider-Man good.

#20652 2 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Steve gets a bad rap starting with Star Wars, and it was undeserved on that one. That machine is fun as hell. Where he really seems to have started to slip was on BKSOR. It just didn’t work and it really exposed how far the pin world had passed him by. The avalanche of opinion was off and running by that point and it swept LZ up into its wake. I think LZ is a good, but nothing special game if it was judged standing purely on its own. But when you know it’s a SR game, you look at it sideways and wonder why it’s not Star Trek or Spider-Man good.

Cutting the designed magnet toy from a game FEATURING the FORCE was ridiculous. Ritchie was constrained by BOM on Star Wars, and it showed. We have the original design showing where he wanted to go before the magnet was cut.

#20653 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Cutting the designed magnet toy from a game FEATURING the FORCE was ridiculous. Ritchie was constrained by BOM on Star Wars, and it showed. We have the original design showing where he wanted to go before the magnet was cut.

Yeah, it could have been a great game had Gary not forced the BOM cuts at the time. But as far as the design itself and layout, the game shoots well and is fun and fast.

#20654 2 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Yeah, it could have been a great game had Gary not forced the BOM cuts at the time. But as far as the design itself and layout, the game shoots well and is fun and fast.

The Pro is dull as dirt, but the Prem/LE shoots fine. The game still has some really great moments. It's just irritating that the game that was shipped will always be a less-than package because Steve's assigned anemic BOM wasn't up to the license he was given and he was forced to cut OBVIOUS, CRITICAL features to the license like the magnet in his original design meant to simulate THE FORCE.

#20655 2 years ago

Ever think about giving him a little kiss?

Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Show the man some respect. My number 1 pinball experience in my lifetime was with Steve Ritchie. The man is a pinball legend.
I think ACDC is one of the best games of all time.
No need to carry on like a dickhead. It could be why you are so unpopular.

#20656 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The Pro is dull as dirt, but the Prem/LE shoots fine. The game still has some really great moments. It's just irritating that the game that was shipped will always be a less-than package because Steve's assigned anemic BOM wasn't up to the license he was given and he was forced to cut OBVIOUS, CRITICAL features to the license like the magnet in his original design meant to simulate THE FORCE.

Well, maybe that’s why he left. That’s what he said anyway….

#20657 2 years ago

And maybe he’ll be able to make some great progress at jjp. Who knows…..

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#20658 2 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Gary licensed Godzilla and gave it to his MVP and is pumping the hell out of it behind the scenes to the distros.

I thought Gary/Stern licensed it to screw over Spooky? Wasn't that the origin story?

#20659 2 years ago

But Stern can offer designers something JJP can't- which is a chance for their work to actually see the light of day in games shipping to customers. At JJP's current pace, it's probably 2025+ best case for a Ritchie game.

Quoted from PinMonk:

Give Ritchie a decent (not even extravagant, just decent) BOM and he delivers:
Spiderman - Awesome
AC/DC Prem/LE - Classic
Star Trek Prem/LE - Great
Game of Thrones Prem/LE - Amazing
Star Wars started the new BOM restrictions for Ritchie. Then BK:SOR, then LZ. All less than they should have been if he had been given a decent BOM. After three severely restricted BOM machines, it's no wonder he went to JJP and Gary is giving Elwin an extravagant BOM for Godzilla. Lyman - gone. Ritchie - gone. Time to start investing in the product again at Stern. Fortunately Gary's also still got Tanio, who showed with Deadpool he will be a force to be reckoned with.
But Gary shouldn't rest too easy. If JJP is smart they're already after Tanio.

#20660 2 years ago
Quoted from ctl723:

But Stern can offer designers something JJP can't- which is a chance for their work to actually see the light of day in games shipping to customers. At JJP's current pace, it's probably 2025+ best case for a Ritchie game.

JJP will not stay limited to just a main and a smaller sub line forever. Moving the whole operation to the new factory and then the pandemic slowed down the transition, but I would not be surprised to see them with 2 full-scale lines up and cranking out pins simultaneously within the next year.

#20661 2 years ago
Quoted from simbob:

In the current pin economy I am sure Stern would indeed get sufficient North American sales to justify a Rush pin, but do they really want to alienate a bunch of other markets?

You're not "alienating" a market by releasing a pin that a demographic doesn't like. That's like saying JJP alienated all people who aren't GnR fans by putting out that game. If the Rush game isn't big in one market, you can be sure their next game will be.

#20662 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

You're not "alienating" a market by releasing a pin that a demographic doesn't like. That's like saying JJP alienated all people who aren't GnR fans by putting out that game. If the Rush game isn't big in one market, you can be sure their next game will be.

I get what you're saying, and not everyone is going to like every pin... but I still can't think of a mainstream music pin where a bunch of the markets would have no interest at all. I have no interest in GnR but of course the units for Australia sold straight away.... either way, I guess we will find out!

#20663 2 years ago

Is it going to be zombieyeti on art?

#20664 2 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Is it going to be zombieyeti on art?

Yes.

#20665 2 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Listen fellas, I’m no stranger to the cinephile, uber dork , and geekdom culture. I’ve been a member of the 501st since 2007 and I’ve been to every con and comic show and cosplay event there is and you can name. I know dudes that go to LebowskiFest, which is an annual event. I’ve been on RPF for 15 years. All that said, I think I have my finger
on the pulse of pop culture and what licenses do and do not move the needle for large numbers of people.
That is not to say that there isn’t a loyal following to a particular movie. That isn’t to say that replica cars from certain movies and shows aren’t highly prized and collectible and outlandishly priced. All very true. But BTTF is not, on the grand scale of pop culture fandoms, anywhere near the behemoth some here will have us believe. It isn’t close to Indiana Jones, for example - a license having produced two machines.
And give me a break on certain items being produced for BTTF or a gathering of celebs at a con. Firefly gets that same treatment and was a tiny property. Godzilla has had posters and figures and merch released on Mondo literally in the last week that sold out in seconds. You don’t dig Godzilla. Cool. But to suggest it’s a niche or “left field” license is absurd. It’s massive and ubiquitous and global - a perfect international recipe. I’m not in any way suggesting I don’t like BTTF (the sequels blow, but I digress). But I am saying that it’s just not a heavy-hitter property and there is no comparison here between the two potential licenses. Wanna know how I know? Gary licensed Godzilla and gave it to his MVP and is pumping the hell out of it behind the scenes to the distros.

Trouble is mate, earlier you suggested Ferris Bueller's Day Off was a bigger license. Which makes me think you might not quite have your finger on the pulse like you suggest.

#20666 2 years ago

Stern guessed well when they went for the Godzilla license and assigned Elwin to design the game. One reason Godzilla makes such a strong theme choice is that in spite of numerous movies, there is no real defined plot. If Godzilla shows up, breathes some fire and crushes Tokyo, you have captured its essence. Other movies such as Jurassic Park have strong movie lines, but Stern ignored them to build a Jurassic themed pin instead. Fans wanted to see movie clips and sounds and although they got none of that, the game is still loved. I am amazed that Stern got away with it for JP3 but they won’t have that issue to contend with for Godzilla, as it doesn’t have to conform to any script.

#20667 2 years ago
#20668 2 years ago

Time for Stern to bring back Dirty Donnie as artist. He did outstanding work on MET and I’d love for him to have another go at it. I’d forgotten he did AS, Pabst and Cosmic Carnival. It’s too late for him to be used on the pipeline of BTTF, Bond or Welk, but Jaws may join the rotation one day and it could make for a good candidate. Don’t care what theme he gets, as little no as Stern just brings him back.
3F912534-E25B-42CC-B676-31C71758BE12.jpeg3F912534-E25B-42CC-B676-31C71758BE12.jpeg

#20669 2 years ago

SW
ST
GoT
SM
ACDC

Steve has designed some of the best pins of the past 20 years

#20670 2 years ago
Quoted from Our_Man_in_Oz:

Really? Are we that obsessed with it here mate? I know I'm definitely not at all. It's just an 80's movie to me and definitely not one of my favs next to a slew of others.

By far the most requested themes on pinside are Back to the Future and Harry Potter and then you follow up with themes like big trouble in little China , The Matrix , Jaws and Goonies .

#20671 2 years ago
Quoted from Huggers:

Trouble is mate, earlier you suggested Ferris Bueller's Day Off was a bigger license. Which makes me think you might not quite have your finger on the pulse like you suggest.

Eh. That’s my opinion. But I concede they are close comparisons in the pop culture zeitgeist. If you wanted to argue that BTTF sells more than Ferris, I wouldn’t argue that point too much. They’ve already made one BTTF pin, so you have evidence in the past that it was true. I personally wouldn’t pick either for a pin license today. But I would make a Goonies pin and expect it to sell all day. I stand by that. I’ve heard clamoring for Goonies in this hobby for 20 years.

#20672 2 years ago
Quoted from simbob:

I get what you're saying, and not everyone is going to like every pin... but I still can't think of a mainstream music pin where a bunch of the markets would have no interest at all. I have no interest in GnR but of course the units for Australia sold straight away.... either way, I guess we will find out!

Besides Western Europe , Australia is one of the biggest countries that buy pins .
Listen at the 35-minute mark

#20673 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I thought Gary/Stern licensed it to screw over Spooky? Wasn't that the origin story?

Gary told Jody to go get the Godzilla license because it’s a huge get. Jody made a big scene of cockblocking Charlie (according to Charlie, who I have never heard any reason to think exaggerated or misrepresented the events). Yes, Charlie got screwed out of Godzilla. But Gary isn’t in the business of being petty on licenses. It’s a huge property and he wanted it. Jody was just a prick and crashed Charlie’s meeting with Toho.

#20674 2 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Rush is rumored to be a boutique run. That would make more sense.

Maybe they will reskin that shitty "Whoa Nelly" pin again for Rush...

#20675 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Time for Stern to bring back Dirty Donnie as artist. He did outstanding work on MET and I’d love for him to have another go at it. I’d forgotten he did AS, Pabst and Cosmic Carnival. It’s too late for him to be used on the pipeline of BTTF, Bond or Welk, but Jaws may join the rotation one day and it could make for a good candidate. Don’t care what theme he gets, as little no as Stern just brings him back.
[quoted image]

Agree, love his work.

#20676 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Give Ritchie a decent (not even extravagant, just decent) BOM and he delivers:
Spiderman - Awesome
AC/DC Prem/LE - Classic
Star Trek Prem/LE - Great
Game of Thrones Prem/LE - Amazing

Terminator 3 never gets enough love (and dare I say) is a better game than 2 as iconic as it is. Also his first at Stern. Much deeper code as well. I have both but seem to play 3 more. And all the metal in it!! That would cost a fortune now.

#20677 2 years ago
Quoted from Wolfanoz:

Terminator 3 never gets enough love (and dare I say) is a better game than 2 as iconic as it is. Also his first at Stern. Much deeper code as well. I have both but seem to play 3 more. And all the metal in it!! That would cost a fortune now.

Must have listened to the latest Silverball chronicles.

#20678 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Hoping for a Matrix pin soon. Maybe CGC has this license but new movie by Dec. [quoted image]

Just a perfect theme for pinball. Time to right the wrongs of the past and get a proper Matrix pin made.

#20679 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

JJP will not stay limited to just a main and a smaller sub line forever. Moving the whole operation to the new factory and then the pandemic slowed down the transition, but I would not be surprised to see them with 2 full-scale lines up and cranking out pins simultaneously within the next year.

That's the dream, really. I would love it if the market and manufacturers could sustain an annual output of 3 Sterns, a JJP, a CGC remake, a Spooky, and an AP.
I think JJP will eventually get to the one per year rate.
Spooky is one every 1.5 years and I don't see that shifting because they're cautious with growth.
AP is about the same, maybe every 2 years?
CGC, I've ranted about before, but I hope they work up to one remake a year and keep pumping MMR games out as along as the market can absorb them.

But since this is my "dream", that also means the market stays hot enough to sustain this and more and more places adopt pins / the hobby grows further

#20680 2 years ago
Quoted from ctl723:

Stern also offers their artists the opportunity for their art to be visible on a playfield that that doesn’t pool and chip just by breathing on it wrong.

#20681 2 years ago

Oww did I hear Jaws?

45th Jaws (resized).jpg45th Jaws (resized).jpg
#20682 2 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

Oww did I hear Jaws?
[quoted image]

I did!

#20683 2 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

AP is about the same, maybe every 2 years?

I don't think that was their original plan, but when each new release sells half as much as the one before (and the first one was less significantly less than 1000), you have to huddle up and make a new plan. Hopefully Nordman has convinced them they need an actual professional art team for the on screen stuff. Because they do.

#20684 2 years ago

Ok Rush fans. Wednesday on Reelz channel in evening Rush documentary.

DB6C8D24-B372-45A1-8CF5-4EC9E124B404 (resized).jpegDB6C8D24-B372-45A1-8CF5-4EC9E124B404 (resized).jpeg
#20685 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I don't think that was their original plan, but when each new release sells half as much as the one before (and the first one was less significantly less than 1000), you have to huddle up and make a new plan. Hopefully Nordman has convinced them they need an actual professional art team for the on screen stuff. Because they do.

you do realize that the artist they have has been doing pinball art for 20+ years. He has done these titles, although you might not like the art, id say he is a professional

Apollo 13
Batman Forever
Baywatch Sega
Hot Wheels™
Houdini Master of Mystery
Independence Day
Mini-Viper Sega SS
Oktoberfest
Pinball Magic
Space Jam

#20686 2 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

Oww did I hear Jaws?
[quoted image]

That's been rumored literally for a few years at this point. Supposedly Stern had the license for the shark and the music, but no other assets.

Sounds lame, but they did a great job with just that on JP, if you ask me.

#20687 2 years ago
Quoted from Tilt:

you do realize that the artist they have has been doing pinball art for 20+ years. He has done these titles, although you might not like the art, id say he is a professional
Apollo 13
Batman Forever
Baywatch Sega
Hot Wheels™
Houdini Master of Mystery
Independence Day
Mini-Viper Sega SS
Oktoberfest
Pinball Magic
Space Jam

Maybe he couldn't make the transition from 128x32 essentially grayscale screens to full res 720p or 1080p full color?

Whatever the problem he's objectively terrible at on-screen animation and on-screen art.

#20688 2 years ago
Quoted from tonyf1965:

Ok Rush fans. Wednesday on Reelz channel in evening Rush documentary.[quoted image]

Cradle to the Stage series has an episode on Geddy Lee with some Rush in there, too.

#20689 2 years ago

I also saw there is a new Halloween movie coming. Makes me want Halloween game. Godzilla is more of a life long theme. I just hope Stern makes me proud!

#20690 2 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

Oww did I hear Jaws?
[quoted image]

Why is the shark wearing lipstick

#20691 2 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

Oww did I hear Jaws?
[quoted image]

" You're going to need a bigger wallet "

#20692 2 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

JJP with their one game per 18 months production capability, biodegradable playfields, and up-to-the-minute razor’s edge licenses like Guns N Roses and Toy Story? Stern needs worry about them? Please.

Good one!

#20693 2 years ago

So does anyone know the official price of the next release yet?

#20694 2 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead1550:

6,660.00 for pro..

#20695 2 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead1550:

$8699 for a premium.

#20696 2 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

$8699 for a premium.

Plus potential tax as well. YIKES!!

#20697 2 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Plus potential tax as well. YIKES!!

New pinball machine…

7CAADE3D-EAEC-41B3-8CEB-ACBA6DF43BD4 (resized).jpeg7CAADE3D-EAEC-41B3-8CEB-ACBA6DF43BD4 (resized).jpeg

#20698 2 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

$8699 for a premium.

Do people pay sticker?

It's been awhile since I've bought NIB.

#20699 2 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

6,660.00 for pro..

I wonder what an LE is going to go for?

Quoted from Allibaster:

Do people pay sticker?
It's been awhile since I've bought NIB.

The best I have found is you get about $200.00 off msrp, but I'm new to buying NIB, so don't know anyone to so I can get a better deal.

#20700 2 years ago

And then some……

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 10,499.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 12.95
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 60.00
Hardware
Pin Parts

$ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 16.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

There are 47,075 posts in this topic. You are on page 414 of 942.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine/page/414?hl=screaminr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.