Whoa (resized).jpg
51AE3C41-1E6E-417B-B0FC-EAF0D317F2BB.gif
vince-neil-is-upset (resized).jpg
Severance (resized).JPG
We_were_on_a_break1-ezgif.com-webp-to-gif-converter.gif
maxresdefault (resized).jpeg
images (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 47,057 posts in this topic. You are on page 407 of 942.
#20301 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Honestly, I think that the timing of Stern raising prices on their games and introducing connectivity now is a good sign. I think that they are springing the price increases on us now because they think their next game (or 3) are juggernaut hits. Notice they didn't raise the price as much or add new features at the Led Zeppelin or Mando launch. I am hoping this means the next game is AMAZING!

Price increases are never a good thing. Necessary sometimes, sure. But good? Disagree.

#20302 2 years ago

Every three or four months I see countless "THIS will be my last NIB purchase" posts.

#20303 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Every three or four months I see countless "THIS will be my last NIB purchase" posts.

I don't have a problem, I can quit any time I want!

#20304 2 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

Me too,,,,,,,, until my next dream theme is made..like Godzilla, rush, Sabbath, bttf , :lol

#20305 2 years ago

I’m in on BTTF if that’s the next title.

#20306 2 years ago

Everyone cracked the shits when jjp increased their price by a $1000 bucks but at least they honoured the price for the people who had already ordered .
Sterns new connected system looks alright but nothing Blow Away like they were saying .
George doesn't say you will have to pay for it , but more importantly he doesn't say it's free .

#20307 2 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Everyone cracked the shits when jjp increased their price by a $1000 bucks but at least they honoured the price for the people who had already ordered .
Sterns new connected system looks alright but nothing Blow Away like they were saying .
George doesn't say you will have to pay for it , but more importantly he doesn't say it's free .

I see nothing in this video that makes me think I need or want this.

#20308 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

I do hate what all the new aprons will look like now.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#20309 2 years ago

That apron in the video is generic. Each game will get art specific to the license by the artist (as I've done one or two) - so don't worry yet until you see them I'm guessing the licensing approvals might be why the generic one is used in these videos.

Quoted from finnflash:

I do hate what all the new aprons will look like now.

#20310 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

I'm actually quite curious how it will work, I think goals would be a nice addon, keeps the game fun (sort of like pinball arcade )
The quests are probably mostly (only) going to be for the US. For the rest I guess it is also interesting for them, they can probably gets some user info this way, even though Gomez says you can adjust this.

EDIT: though not $1000 increase worth of extra fun....

#20311 2 years ago

Wonder what the upgrade set costs, they say inexpensive, but what is inexpensive? $100? $150? or $600??
If it brings some extra fun and I can buy it as an addon for my existing games for somewhere near a $100-$150, then it would be worth it.
Anything above that probably not.

#20312 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

You only get a verified score if it's on location , tell me if you know the operator , you can't take the glass off and muck around with it . They've copied , pin venture , or whatever it's called , where you download the app and if you do certain things you can get some merchandise .
It could be a pain in the ass to login each time you play .

#20313 2 years ago

My wild guess is the upgrade will be $299

#20314 2 years ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Well I guess compared to the absurdly increasing prices of the pins, then it does sound quite inexpensive....

#20315 2 years ago

Also , there was no mention of you being able to update code .

Any annual fees? Do you think .

#20316 2 years ago
Quoted from xyntec:

Wonder what the upgrade set costs, they say inexpensive, but what is inexpensive? $100? $150? or $600??
If it brings some extra fun and I can buy it as an addon for my existing games for somewhere near a $100-$150, then it would be worth it.
Anything above that probably not.

Can the hardware be removed from machines that have it preinstalled and moved to another machine? If so, when the machines that have been backordered since long before this was announced finally ship, there will be plenty of people who don't have any use for it happy to sell it if it recovers some of the price increase between the original ship date and the actual one.

#20317 2 years ago
Quoted from craif:

Can the hardware be removed from machines that have it preinstalled and moved to another machine? If so, when the machines that have been backordered since long before this was announced finally ship, there will be plenty of people who don't have any use for it happy to sell it if it recovers some of the price increase between the original ship date and the actual one.

I suppose it will have new firmware and can be enabled/disabled from the settings

#20318 2 years ago

Do I have the choice of putting the cost of this into the game play instead?

#20319 2 years ago
Quoted from xyntec:

I suppose it will have new firmware and can be enabled/disabled from the settings

Welcome to Iron Maiden v. 1.08, built 10/2021, sponsored by Mountain Dew. Are you sure you want to disable your QR reader? To continue, please drink a verification can.

#20320 2 years ago

If distributors aren't locked into getting a specific number of games at at given price then why would stern ship anything over the last few weeks with the price increase coming?

Quoted from craif:

Welcome to Iron Maiden v. 1.08, built 10/2021, sponsored by Mountain Dew. Are you sure you want to disable your QR reader? To continue, please drink a verification can.

Streaming ads was one of the first things I though of and I really hope they don't go there.

#20321 2 years ago

boy those $7777.00 Aliens are looking great now !

#20322 2 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Any annual fees? Do you think .

I'd hope the hardware cost covers at least a year or two.

#20323 2 years ago
Quoted from KSP1138:

Streaming ads was one of the first things I though of and I really hope they don't go there.

They mentioned using the system to try to drive interest in other games, so sounds like targeted advertisements will be in the future.

I can see it now "Welcome user, we see you like playing Batman66, you should really go down the street to Fred's Bar and try Deadpool." on the LCD of the machine. It might even pull up the walking directions on your phone to help you get to Fred's Bar.

#20324 2 years ago

I see Stern trying to break into the secondary market in multiple ways here, and trying to take a piece of secondary game sales.

Lets say Stern sells a Back To The Future pro for $6,400 and includes an "activation fee" in that price, with 6 months of Stern Insider connected. It has OTA updates, new code, online connectivity, all your dreams and then after that it's $10 per month per game to maintain the new features.

Lets say that I then sell Back To The Future to you for $6,000 a year down the road because I want to buy Weird Al's Polka Party. I don't want to keep paying Stern $10 per month for a game I no longer own to maintain the service and/or any expansion packs they may have sold me so I go to Stern.com and cancel my Stern Insider connection for Back To The Future. You suddenly lose the new code you had, and it reverts to a previous state. Now in order for you to unlock the features you have to pay a $100 activation fee and pay $10 per month. You also have to rebuy and new code or expansion packs I had previously purchased.

This is a very slippery slope.

#20325 2 years ago
Quoted from Gizmata:

The mentioned using the system to try to drive interest in other games, so sounds like targeted advertisements will be in the future.
I can see it now "Welcome user, we see you like playing Batman66, you should really go down the street to Fred's Bar and try Deadpool." on the LCD of the machine. It might even pull up the walking directions on your phone to help you get to Fred's Bar.

Do you know what would really piss me off were I an operator? Ads within my bar directing patrons to other establishments. The pins would go if that option could not be disabled.

#20326 2 years ago

I'd hope the hardware cost covers at least a year or two.

Hopefully for everyone , it's free forever , to equal JJP .

#20327 2 years ago

I see Stern trying to break into the secondary market in multiple ways here, and trying to take a piece of secondary game sales.
Lets say Stern sells a Back To The Future pro for $6,400 and includes an "activation fee" in that price, with 6 months of Stern Insider connected. It has OTA updates, new code, online connectivity, all your dreams and then after that it's $10 per month per game to maintain the new features.
Lets say that I then sell Back To The Future to you for $6,000 a year down the road because I want to buy Weird Al's Polka Party. I don't want to keep paying Stern $10 per month for a game I no longer own to maintain the service and/or any expansion packs they may have sold me so I go to Stern.com and cancel my Stern Insider connection for Back To The Future. You suddenly lose the new code you had, and it reverts to a previous state. Now in order for you to unlock the features you have to pay a $100 activation fee and pay $10 per month. You also have to rebuy and new code or expansion packs I had previously purchased.

I have no interest in this insider connection BS.
On the other hand Weird Al’s Polka Party sounds like the best new title in a very long time!

#20328 2 years ago

I’m sure we’ll see a monthly fee like Nintendo membership. What’s another $9.99 per month?

#20329 2 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I agree 100%. However, this is from the same company selling $1k toppers.

#20330 2 years ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

On the other hand Weird Al’s Polka Party sounds like the best new title in a very long time!

And you know Al would be all over the callouts. They would be great. Whacky, energetic, etc.

#20331 2 years ago

Just think of the mods. Spatulas, hamsters, ball of twine, firehose, Segway, accordion, and more..

#20332 2 years ago

I get all of people's concerns here - but temper them. I know George was focused on creating added value for buyers first and foremost - not added costs.
I've never seen or heard of 'always online' check ins, activation fees or gas-station advertising

#20333 2 years ago

I’m excited for achievements and things. This sounds cool! No sense getting worked up until we have all of the details.

#20334 2 years ago
Quoted from alpha70:

Kaneda reported the stern pinball price increase in episode 610 of Kaneda's pinball podcast.
I am unsure but i think the price of copper wire is the reason for the price rise.

Fact: Copper cost about the same as it did in 2011. There was a large dip in the price between 2011 and 2020, and now it's back at 2011 levels.

How much was Stern retail at release for 2011 Tron Legacy Pro ($5699)? Transformers ($5699)? There's not $100 of copper in a Stern machine, let alone $1000. With the price increase, we should be about $1000 more than those 2011 pro machines - and copper costs THE SAME as 2011.

https://www.macrotrends.net/1476/copper-prices-historical-chart-data

#20335 2 years ago

Tron and Transformers were WAY less than that.

Quoted from PinMonk:

Fact: Copper cost about the same as it did in 2011. There was a large dip in the price between 2011 and 2020, and now it's back at 2011 levels.
How much was Stern retail at release for 2011 Tron Legacy Pro ($5699)? Transformers ($5699)? There's not $100 of copper in a Stern machine, let alone $1000. With the price increase, we should be about $1000 more than those 2011 pro machines - and copper costs THE SAME as 2011.
https://www.macrotrends.net/1476/copper-prices-historical-chart-data

#20336 2 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Yep, my late run Tron (decals with CLU translite) was $4400 shipped to my door. Still kick myself for selling it. Ugh.

#20337 2 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

That was MSRP. Street was $1k or more less. For the purposes of this "it's the copper!" deconstruction, I'm just comparing MSRP to MSRP because street to street isn't well-documented.

But even with that comparison, it's clear this price hike is mostly an opportunistic money grab. Actual hit is like 20% MAYYYBE 25% of what Stern is grabbing for. But JJP got $1000, so Stern wants that, too - despite having an anemic BOM compared to JJP.

#20338 2 years ago

Idk about all of you, but after bttf, and hopefully a Bill and Ted’s I won’t have a use for anymore nib. Except if Lebowski, and Ferris Bueler, remake Addams, remake STNG, and maybe a few others but that’s it!

#20339 2 years ago
Quoted from Boblabla:

Idk about all of you, but after bttf, and hopefully a Bill and Ted’s I won’t have a use for anymore nib. Except if Lebowski, and Ferris Bueler, remake Addams, remake STNG, and maybe a few others but that’s it!

LOL

#20340 2 years ago
Quoted from SNES:

I’m excited for achievements and things. This sounds cool! No sense getting worked up until we have all of the details.

Why did they even announce this without having all the details ready? People are making assumptions and then there's insiders saying "wait until you have all the details" while not even denying some of the assumptions.

There's no doubt this will be great for Stern and all invested parties. Great for players? I guess we'll see but I get the sense they're holding back some of these details because they're not exactly consumer friendly details.

#20341 2 years ago

Agree. Double Up vote.

#20342 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Why did they even announce this without having all the details ready? People are making assumptions and then there's insiders saying "wait until you have all the details" while not even denying some of the assumptions.
There's no doubt this will be great for Stern and all invested parties. Great for players? I guess we'll see but I get the sense they're holding back some of these details because they're not exactly consumer friendly details.

Worse thought - does this mean connected pins get ads pushed to them for attract mode? I could *absolutely* see Stern doing this.

#20343 2 years ago

Hmm, Insider Connected.

Next stop…. DLC.

#20344 2 years ago

Because they were trying to lessen the blow of the price increase I guess. But, I agree. They should have waited to announce this and the price hike when the feature was completely ready. Or, at least when they released the next game.

Quoted from seenev:Why did they even announce this without having all the details ready? People are making assumptions and then there's insiders saying "wait until you have all the details" while not even denying some of the assumptions.

#20345 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Why spend years coming up with this and then slowly dip your toes into the pool. This should be fanfare and excitement of how this is making our lives better. Instead we get: "here is new hardware that is in every single new game, and we will let you know what it might do as we figure out which features to focus on." Gomez even said on the interview that they shipped products that were incomplete because they were spending time on this, yet it is still not ready to be detailed at roll out? (Obviously it rolls out in September, but why not announce it all at once. This seems more like they are scared to announce it, because there will be costs in the coming features).

#20346 2 years ago
Quoted from Gizmata:

This seems more like they are scared to announce it, because there will be costs in the coming features).

Nah, the ads they push to your pin for the attract mode will pay for that...at first, to make it go down easier. Online pinball from Stern will be abused by them like crazy.

#20347 2 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

I get all of people's concerns here - but temper them. I know George was focused on creating added value for buyers first and foremost - not added costs.
I've never seen or heard of 'always online' check ins, activation fees or gas-station advertising

Not yet!

#20348 2 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Agree. Double Up vote.

You finally get Sterns version of the pinbar!

#20349 2 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

Quitting is easy, I’ve done it many times

#20350 2 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

We are still talking about stern right? Nothing is free.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.95
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 1,999.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Maine Home Recreation

$ 18.95
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 90.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 129.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 23.95
Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.99
Playfield - Other
FlipMods

€ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Brookings, OR
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 6,395.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 16.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 47,057 posts in this topic. You are on page 407 of 942.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine/page/407 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.