20240423_100836 (resized).jpg
20240423_100825 (resized).jpg
20240423_100718 (resized).jpg
20240423_100723 (resized).jpg
Whoa (resized).jpg
51AE3C41-1E6E-417B-B0FC-EAF0D317F2BB.gif
vince-neil-is-upset (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 47,074 posts in this topic. You are on page 381 of 942.
#19001 2 years ago

I love IMDN and like AIQ, not a big fan of JP, but I just hope the next Elwin is a bit less pro player minded. I feel these games are way too hard for the casual/fun player, shots are hard (when not rejected), and every small mistake mostly leads to draining.
I obviously also like the most possible shots on a playfield, but maybe 1 shot less can make all other shots just a tiny bit easier to shoot. Also why are the slings higher than the in/outlane divider posts? I think not a lot of people liked this on STTNG, they don't sell extended ones for no reason. It's purely created to drain the ball faster. I understand that on location it's meant to earn more, and cause the ball times to be shorter, but in the end people get annoyed and don't play it at all anymore.
Why for example not make the in/outlane divider post adjustable instead of the outer post? Top position post has the same height as the slingshot, so you get a more even chance of saving the ball, bottom position for the 'advanced' players, and removed completely for the 'die hards' and tournament players.
For most casual players it's not about playing better, it's about fun and drinking a beer with friends. The harder a game or the more complicated the rules, the more it is ignored.
A good game for me is if the rules are clear, and if (some of) the goals are reachable. Sure it's nice if there are more hidden rules for the more advanced players, but there must be plenty to do for the casual players too.
That said, even though IMDN is hard, it's tons of fun, nice modes and reachable goals. Nice sounds and some animations are cool (def. not all)
On the other hand AIQ looks amazing, but there is no fun at all playing it, sure it's supposedly has great rules, but there is no adrenalin rush whatsoever, the only thing that is nice is the hulk hurry up. The modes suck pretty much, multiball isn't interesting. Play 3 games and get bored already, there is no motivation to keep playing at all. I hope there will be some software update with more attractive sound and call outs to at least keep it interesting.
Probably the first one to go unfortunately....

#19002 2 years ago

Stern Made Archer Into Iron Maiden maybe it is time to turn Iron Maiden into Archer.?

22b4b3c8-0827-42d2-a841-50e8f3464dc2 (resized).jpg22b4b3c8-0827-42d2-a841-50e8f3464dc2 (resized).jpg
#19003 2 years ago

I like the harder deeper games because they make me a better more focused player. Pinball for me is game first and foremost, a toy is meant to be played with but a game is meant to be practiced and mastered. That’s just where the fun lies for me personally. There’s no better feeling than fighting your way through a deep difficult game and reaching that feeling of accomplishment at the end when you finally dominate a super wizard mode.

Quoted from xyntec:

I love IMDN and like AIQ, not a big fan of JP, but I just hope the next Elwin is a bit less pro player minded. I feel these games are way too hard for the casual/fun player, shots are hard (when not rejected), and every small mistake mostly leads to draining.
I obviously also like the most possible shots on a playfield, but maybe 1 shot less can make all other shots just a tiny bit easier to shoot. Also why are the slings higher than the in/outlane divider posts? I think not a lot of people liked this on STTNG, they don't sell extended ones for no reason. It's purely created to drain the ball faster. I understand that on location it's meant to earn more, and cause the ball times to be shorter, but in the end people get annoyed and don't play it at all anymore.
Why for example not make the in/outlane divider post adjustable instead of the outer post? Top position post has the same height as the slingshot, so you get a more even chance of saving the ball, bottom position for the 'advanced' players, and removed completely for the 'die hards' and tournament players.
For most casual players it's not about playing better, it's about fun and drinking a beer with friends. The harder a game or the more complicated the rules, the more it is ignored.
A good game for me is if the rules are clear, and if (some of) the goals are reachable. Sure it's nice if there are more hidden rules for the more advanced players, but there must be plenty to do for the casual players too.
That said, even though IMDN is hard, it's tons of fun, nice modes and reachable goals. Nice sounds and some animations are cool (def. not all)
On the other hand AIQ looks amazing, but there is no fun at all playing it, sure it's supposedly has great rules, but there is no adrenalin rush whatsoever, the only thing that is nice is the hulk hurry up. The modes suck pretty much, multiball isn't interesting. Play 3 games and get bored already, there is no motivation to keep playing at all. I hope there will be some software update with more attractive sound and call outs to at least keep it interesting.
Probably the first one to go unfortunately....

#19004 2 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Stern Made Archer Into Iron Maiden maybe it is time to turn Iron Maiden into Archer.?
[quoted image]

I'd be in for an LE!

#19005 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I'd be in for an LE!

+1

#19006 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I'd be in for an LE!

Sorry, they are sold out!

#19007 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Ultraman, I think it’s going to be a shallow game. Handful of modes, on wizard mode and that’s it.

Thats the reason I bailed out of RM. After the order books closed it was revealed RM had NO wizard mode only flat code. I got flag by demanding a wizard mode but even after it got one it was just not enough code so I ran for the hills. So thx for the info. I pass here bc spooky learned nothing. Nothing.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#19009 2 years ago
Quoted from Makakka:

Thats the reason I bailed out of RM. After the order books closed it was revealed RM had NO wizard mode only flat code. I got flag by demanding a wizard mode but even after it got one it was just not enough code so I ran for the hills. So thx for the info. I pass here bc spooky learned nothing. Nothing.

Also Spooky not revealing ANY gameplay video is a red flag for me. Multiball on the lower playfield doesn’t seem very fun and no way doing multiball on three playfields. What will be the jackpot shots?

Just going up the ramps and hitting the targets? I just don’t see many modes on this and three playfields seems like a flow killer. Many bitched about BKSOR upper playfield being a flow killer. I could be wrong but we do NOT have any gameplay video to even see.

Many on the spooky thread are creaming themselves over Ultraman. If Stern did that pin could you imagine how much hate it would get by them? I am a fan of pinball and no particular company, but the fan boy goggles for Ultraman are off the charts.

They are acting like Halloween and Ultraman are the second coming of pinball. It could be if we had some actual game play video. Even my wife and daughters think that looks a little sketchy to not have any prior to the preorder going live.

Looking really forward to Godzilla. Please don’t screw it up. Big fan as I was of Led Zeppelin and that did not end up in my collection.

#19010 2 years ago
Quoted from Makakka:

R&M has great code now. Maybe not a grand Wizard mode but all the modes are fresh some easy some harder.

#19011 2 years ago

If you were reading the RaM thread you would have witnessed epthegeek fervently coding that game and promising wizard modes prior to release, and code/rules wise RaM ended up fantastic. I just know that he is not coding this game and that Charlie’s son, who is fresh out of high school wrote the rules for Halloween / UM. Eric and Bowen are acting as consultants on these games but I doubt we’ll see a deeply coded game here as they are not the ones grinding it out full time.

Quoted from Makakka:

#19012 2 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

If Stern did that pin could you imagine how much hate it would get by them? I am a fan of pinball and no particular company, but the fan boy goggles for Ultraman are off the charts.

A lot but would still sell out if limited with or without gameplay. Seems to be the environment we are in now.
Ultraman next to a Godzilla would be pretty cool.

#19013 2 years ago

When did this turn into the "pick on Spooky" thread? The next Stern pin will be fantastic I'm sure. It will be interesting to see how Godzilla compares to Ultraman, since the themes are similar (blasphemy I know).

I also think that the release of Wizard of Oz by JJP made Stern step there game up. I think that more competition will drive all companies to make better games. I think Godzilla will reflect this and have a higher BOM.

#19014 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Charlie’s son, who is fresh out of high school wrote the rules for Halloween / UM.

Thx for that info a backstep from shallow flat RM hippie code a step back even. Confirming it was the right decision to pass on a finished great japanese theme and good table layout ready to ship for a vague scheme and foggy rumor Godzilla is next even the combination Godzilla/Elwin isnt sure but thats enough for me to pass just told my distro.

Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

When did this turn into the "pick on Spooky" thread?

Bc Ultraman is the first japanese theme and Godzilla probably will be second so its legit to compare these two to make a decision to buy or to wait.

#19015 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:I just know that he is not coding this game and that Charlie’s son, who is fresh out of high school wrote the rules for Halloween / UM. Eric and Bowen are acting as consultants on these games but I doubt we’ll see a deeply coded game here as they are not the ones grinding it out full time.

Let’s see how the code is before you assume it is bad or shallow. Mozart was 8 when he did his first symphony. Obviously different things, but don’t focus on age and rather judge the product after seeing it.

#19016 2 years ago

Sensitive much. He said sorry, sheesh.

#19017 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Yes, I did. It was an obvious joke retaliation in good fun. Everyone knows he didn’t say that. I deleted it, ok? If crujones4life wouldnt mind doing the same that would be great. Moving on...

Dont be so sensitive. Good lord dude..

#19018 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

When did this turn into the "pick on Spooky" thread? The next Stern pin will be fantastic I'm sure. It will be interesting to see how Godzilla compares to Ultraman, since the themes are similar (blasphemy I know).
I also think that the release of Wizard of Oz by JJP made Stern step there game up. I think that more competition will drive all companies to make better games. I think Godzilla will reflect this and have a higher BOM.

That dude is just screaming "This game is shallow and sucks!" So much so, he has other people wondering if its a real issue, or just him.

Since we havent seen any gameplay video, rest assured, its just him. Seems to have an axe to grind for some reason.

#19019 2 years ago

Not an age thing, just experience. I’m pulling for Bug and the whole Spooky team. I voice my opinions on here because Spooky is a very responsive company and they listen and adapt to what their fans want. I saw what initially looked like an issue they may want to address sooner than later. In no way am I saying this title is doomed by any means.

Quoted from Goronic:

Let’s see how the code is before you assume it is bad or shallow. Mozart was 8 when he did his first symphony. Obviously different things, but don’t focus on age and rather judge the product after seeing it.

#19020 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Not an age thing, just experience. I’m pulling for Bug and the whole Spooky team. I voice my opinions on here because Spooky is a very responsive company and they listen and adapt to what their fans want. I saw what initially looked like an issue they may want to address sooner than later. In no way am I saying this title is doomed by any means.

Thank god, YOU are not dooming it! Full speed ahead Spooky, mvdjaoghe has proclaimed he has not doomed it, yet.

#19021 2 years ago
Quoted from Makakka:

Spooky are still working on R&M code I believe, so can't really judge it fully yet.

#19022 2 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

[quoted image]

The Archer train has sailed. It hasnt been good in years now and its peak popularity was about 4yrs ago. I loves me some Archer but its not timeless and its not current any more so....
Also, Maiden is amazing and many owners would say its a "bolted to the floor" game so a (deskin?) isnt very likely at this point imo.

#19023 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

The Archer train has sailed. It hasnt been good in years now and its peak popularity was about 4yrs ago. I oove me some Archer but its not timeless and its not current any more so....
Also, Maiden is amazing and many owners would say its a "bolted to the floor" game so a (deskin?) isnt very likely at this point imo.

I agree. This design will be for IMDN only. Though I do wish it was an archer theme from the get go. Either way, on with the next design

- or maybe a vault. (Other than Iron Man - though another run isn't a bad idea)

#19024 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

If you were reading the RaM thread you would have witnessed epthegeek fervently coding that game and promising wizard modes prior to release, and code/rules wise RaM ended up fantastic. I just know that he is not coding this game and that Charlie’s son, who is fresh out of high school wrote the rules for Halloween / UM. Eric and Bowen are acting as consultants on these games but I doubt we’ll see a deeply coded game here as they are not the ones grinding it out full time.

You know who might understand game rules and how more modern video game rules have started to carry over and tie in well with pinball code? Maybe a teenager who's dad owns a pinball company.
Im optimistic that a young mind has some interesting ideas they would like to see applied to pinball. Would i want him doing this 100% alone? No. It sounds more like like he has the reigns but also has seasoned coders, designers and veteran players at his side.
Fingers crossed I can get one of the Canadian allotment because this is the first Spooky title ive been interested in since TNA.

#19025 2 years ago

Lol...now that's good stuff.

#19026 2 years ago

I’d buy Archer premium and put it next to Maiden pro. What are we thinking about rules? Same but with Archer swapped for Eddie. I think the general structure of Archer rules were enhanced rather started from scratch so maybe possible.

#19027 2 years ago

Sure! Hopefully that’s the case. We just don’t really know what to expect so that’s really my only concern. The game honestly looks f’n fantastic...I love that all the scoops feed to the subway and the servo lifts at the inlanes. That is definitely super super cool and it’s going to make for some fast and furious multiball action. You’re going to have to remember how many scoops you just shot to prepare for the fast (and mostly invisible) return to the flippers. I feel like I’d be wanting to keep the flippers in the hold position in order to keep control of the balls and prevent drains from the servos while your looking at what to shoot. Gonna be wild!

Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

You know who might understand game rules and how more modern video game rules have started to carry over and tie in well with pinball code? Maybe a teenager who's dad owns a pinball company.
Im optimistic that a young mind has some interesting ideas they would like to see applied to pinball. Would i want him doing this 100% alone? No. It sounds more like like he has the reigns but also has seasoned coders, designers and veteran players at his side.
Fingers crossed I can get one of the Canadian allotment because this is the first Spooky title ive been interested in since TNA.

#19028 2 years ago
AAFFE4E2-AD33-4C66-9C4D-4836FDC009D8 (resized).jpegAAFFE4E2-AD33-4C66-9C4D-4836FDC009D8 (resized).jpeg
#19029 2 years ago

I ordered Mando already and am patiently waiting. Nothing else will be on the horizon from Stern for a bit. Stern thread clamouring can resume anytime. Someone just needs to throw out some theme they love that will never be made or some rumour thats been heard 1000× already and we will be right back on course

#19030 2 years ago

Man, Stern needs to get on the Foo Fighters train and fast

#19031 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

I ordered Mando already and am patiently waiting. Nothing else will be on the horizon from Stern for a bit. Stern thread clamouring can resume anytime. Someone just needs to throw out some theme they love that will never be made or some rumour thats been heard 1000× already and we will be right back on course

Back to the Future.

#19032 2 years ago
536F25C4-8378-4E61-B52E-5024D48DC564 (resized).jpeg536F25C4-8378-4E61-B52E-5024D48DC564 (resized).jpeg
#19033 2 years ago

What's everyone's best guess on next release time frame ? I'm thinking around expo.

#19034 2 years ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

What's everyone's best guess on next release time frame ? I'm thinking around expo.

Just an educated guess...late Aug/Sept.

#19035 2 years ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Hmmm, weekend as Axpona in chi-town

#19036 2 years ago

It’s Godzilla. For October.

#19037 2 years ago

I think Stern will probably release their next title IN September. If it's not September it would be last week of August or first week of October.

#19038 2 years ago

I’m hoping Elwin doesn’t do Godzilla because I want to buy Elwin’s next game.

#19039 2 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

I’m hoping Elwin doesn’t do Godzilla because I want to buy Elwin’s next game.

You like BTTF? You like Elwin? If so...you are in luck!

#19040 2 years ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

Source?

#19041 2 years ago

I love your confidence.
And I Want To Believe…

#19042 2 years ago

You BTTF guys ….

Let me tell you why I don’t think BTTF will happen. And if by some miracle it does happen, you will probably be disappointed.

Let’s take Jurassic Park as an example. License for the title - check - not terribly difficult. Then they have to go to every actor to license their likeness. That includes ANY scene where the actor is visible or any soundbite from the actor. That’s why the only likeness in the playfield of JP is Nedry and there are ZERO movie clips and ZERO actor callouts in the pin. You don’t have to pay a TRex.

Name one actor that was a Ninja Turtle…. didn’t think so - nobody cares who played Donatello. Cheaper licensing.

This is why Stern loves the superhero pins - they’re easy. One stop license. Do you see Robert Downey Jr on AIQ as Iron Man with his helmet off … no. Do you hear his voice … no. You don’t even see Robert Downey Jr on Iron Man the pin?

Do you really want a BTTF without Michael J Fox or any of the other actors?? Neither does anyone else. That shit’s too expensive with all the assets. Just ask JJP (POTC) - they almost went under building that pin.

Bottom line is, Stern isn’t going to shell out that kind of coin for a license when they can make more on the gap with lesser licenses like Godzilla. No actors, no problems.

I could be wrong but look at the pattern folks.

#19043 2 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

You BTTF guys ….
Let me tell you why I don’t think BTTF will happen. And if by some miracle it does happen, you will probably be disappointed.
Let’s take Jurassic Park as an example. License for the title - check - not terribly difficult. Then they have to go to every actor to license their likeness. That includes ANY scene where the actor is visible or any soundbite from the actor. That’s why the only likeness in the playfield of JP is Nedry and there are ZERO movie clips and ZERO actor callouts in the pin. You don’t have to pay a TRex.
Name one actor that was a Ninja Turtle…. didn’t think so - nobody cares who played Donatello. Cheaper licensing.
This is why Stern loves the superhero pins - they’re easy. One stop license. Do you see Robert Downey Jr on AIQ as Iron Man with his helmet off … no. Do you hear his voice … no. You don’t even see Robert Downey Jr on Iron Man the pin?
Do you really want a BTTF without Michael J Fox or any of the other actors?? Neither does anyone else. That shit’s too expensive with all the assets. Just ask JJP (POTC) - they almost went under building that pin.
Bottom line is, Stern isn’t going to shell out that kind of coin for a license when they can make more on the gap with lesser licenses like Godzilla. No actors, no problems.
I could be wrong but look at the pattern folks.

Good points.

#19044 2 years ago

For me, a lot of my feelings about BTTF being in the works (I don’t think it’s next tho) stems from Dwight Sullivan teasing Hill Valley being an Easter egg in the map that scrolls on The Getaway: High Speed II and saying that it’s foreshadowing.

He talks about it at 29:50

#19045 2 years ago
Quoted from TheProgrammer:

For me, a lot of my feelings about BTTF being in the works (I don’t think it’s next tho) stems from Dwight Sullivan teasing Hill Valley being an Easter egg in the map that scrolls on The Getaway: High Speed II and saying that it’s foreshadowing.

Getaway 2 was made in 1992.

#19046 2 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

Getaway 2 was made in 1992.

Yes? All I’m talking about is how he said “which could be a little foreshadowing.” Just made me think that he could be working on BTTF after Mando.

#19047 2 years ago

He doesn’t have a source. Just a BTTF super fan trying to will it into existence. Maybe someday...but definitely not in September.

#19048 2 years ago

Yes? All I’m talking about is how he said “which could be a little foreshadowing.” Just made me think that he could be working on BTTF after Mando.

That is a huge stretch.

#19049 2 years ago

Boom

#19050 2 years ago

What are the odds that I’ll get my John Borg / Lyman Sheats Rush dream pin in 2022? I’m in on pretty much anything they release together, but Rush would be amazing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 10,499.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 12.95
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 60.00
Hardware
Pin Parts

$ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 16.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

There are 47,074 posts in this topic. You are on page 381 of 942.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine/page/381 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.