Albumism_TheCars_TheCars_16x9.jpg
IMG_1935 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240412_203046_Chrome (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240412_203117_Chrome (resized).jpg
DSC06496 (resized).JPG
DSC06495 (resized).JPG
DSC05223 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 46,876 posts in this topic. You are on page 344 of 938.
#17151 2 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

Y’all will get Welk, and you will like it. End of discussion.

As long as it has a lower playfield. As much as I want a Welk, a Welk without a lower playfield is worse than no Welk at all.

#17152 2 years ago
Quoted from John0560:

Ghostbusters is probably one of the best art packages I have ever seen. I don't see Batman or Beatles even coming close. ZY in my IMO is unmatched and is a artistic genius. But this is my opinion, nobody is right or wrong. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Munsters black in white (unfortunately not seen enough) is a stunning table.Ill agree ZY is great as everyone knows he is.But Chris unfortunately never had 3 tables hit Munsters,Beatles,or even honestly Batman 66 like 2 Elwins and a deadpool theme.I think both are great but I think Franchi gets excluded because 2 of those didn't hit like they were expected....but Stern as a whole has some great artist.

#17153 2 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

A lot of the Stern "modern-classics" lean to the rules and execution-based depth: TSPP, LOTR and lots of the most recent games.

TSPP and LOTR depth are different than current games, though. I've had both of them for over a decade, and I couldn't tell you what ANYTHING scores. I just know how to progress through modes & multiballs, and if I do well at them, good score will come with good play. Modern games sometimes have a whole math chess nature to them that overshadows organic play and progression...you truly do have to memorize weird strategy over what for is is a more natural & rewarding style of play.

#17154 2 years ago
Quoted from BasementFacts:

Everything has already been greenlit by now. A licensor can’t just keep changing things forever. It would ruin the licensee’s business and reputation. No way Stern would roll over if the cabinets are already in production, unless the extra money and time to remake the cabs are on Disney’s dime (which is certainly plausible). All that aside, I can’t fathom the pettiness on Disney’s part if they did that. I still don’t think they care that much about pins.

A> It happened quite a while ago.
B> It sounds like you've never been in a licensed product agreement. The licensor can do pretty much whatever they want, and often do. SEGA tried to change the names of the main characters in a game I did literally months before it was supposed to come out so they'd match an anime version CLAMP was trying to sell. This was after almost all the recording was done. It was insane. We pushed back for months and it delayed the game, but in the meantime the anime sale fell through so we didn't have to do it, but if they were dead-set, we would have had to. Licensor has all the power.

So yeah, Disney could absolutely require this omission. But since she's still in the episodes in the can, maybe they won't.

#17155 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

To me deep and complex are not the same thing. I am super happy with lots of modes that are simple. To me that's a deep game, it still takes a lot of effort and time to work your way through. Complex rules, when you have to do this then that, stack this over that with 50X multiplier and only do this if you do that, I just can't be bothered.
I love BSD, it has very simple rules, it really only has 2 modes and 3 multiballs. It is still amazing when you blow it up and I keep going back for more.
I enjoy AC/DC but I could not care less about score on it. It is just too much to figure out. I just enjoy working my way through the songs to try and get to encore. It's a pin that works both ways, I guess.
I love Star Trek it feels deep but simple, lots to do and super easy to follow.

I hate BSD only because it kicks my ass, but I completely get the point. I love Iron Man, Indy 500 and Stern TMNT for this reason. You can catch a game and blow it up.

I didn't care about AC/DC score either, but absolutely loved the pin. If there were some additional wizard mode addition/polish it'd be a top 5 of all time for me.

To me, my favorite B/W is White Water and favorite Stern is Iron Maiden Prem/LE. Their ruleset matches the themes and game speed perfectly.

#17156 2 years ago
Quoted from HomerEBW:

I would love an E.T. pin. I've mentioned E.T. in several dream theme posts. But again, very similar to Jurassic Park, you'll be stripped of assets. And just like the Jurassic Park pin (Steven Spielberg / John Williams) you'll get the name, one piece of music, and one minor character (Dennis Nedry). As one of my all-time favorite childhood movies, there is so much you can do with this pin. I just don't see Stern putting effort into making it.
Fingers crossed someone makes it one day.

Remember the fiasco ET caused Atari?

#17157 2 years ago

Given the choice between a dream theme that plays like a "6" and a kick-ass game with a crap theme that plays like a "9" or a "10", I'll take the latter.

Get the gameplay right, and I'm a potential buyer...theme be damned. This is a new development for me.

#17158 2 years ago
Quoted from zh2oson:

Given the choice between a dream theme that plays like a "6" and a kick-ass game with a crap theme that plays like a "9" or a "10", I'll take the latter.
Get the gameplay right, and I'm a potential buyer...theme be damned. This is a new development for me.

yeah, agree!

#17159 2 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Great point! Yeah lets not put stern out of business. I would hate to see a documentary 30 years from now of people digging up stern E.T. pinball machines out of the desert.

#17160 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

A> It happened quite a while ago.
B> It sounds like you've never been in a licensed product agreement. The licensor can do pretty much whatever they want, and often do. SEGA tried to change the names of the main characters in a game I did literally months before it was supposed to come out so they'd match an anime version they were trying to sell. This was after almost all the recording was done. It was insane. We pushed back for months and it delayed the game, but in the meantime the anime sale fell through so we didn't have to do it, but if they were dead-set, we would have had to. Licensor has all the power.
So yeah, Disney could absolutely require this omission. But since she's still in the episodes in the can, maybe they won't.

Yep, having been involved in various game licensing situations (including one with Disney), I can verify this.

Just before we released a Star Trek:TNG game, Paramount suddenly told us that we could no longer use Cardassians as an enemy in our game, because they were now reserved for the Deep Space Nine license. Even though that same week, the new TNG episode had Picard being captured (and tortured) by the Cardassians. We had to do a last minute scramble to find a suitable replacement villain and re-do the artwork.

#17161 2 years ago
Quoted from John0560:

Great point! Yeah lets not put stern out of business. I would hate to see a documentary 30 years from now of people digging up stern E.T. pinball machines out of the desert.

Well, in fairness, the reason why the game was a failure was that it really really sucked. It wasn't due to the quality of the license, it was due to the quality of the game.

#17162 2 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

Y’all will get Welk, and you will like it. End of discussion.

I’ve already sold my Welk LE for $40,000.

#17163 2 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Well, in fairness, the reason why the game was a failure was that it really really sucked. It wasn't due to the quality of the license, it was due to the quality of the game.

Super rushed out to production If I recall.

#17164 2 years ago

Yeah, it was one developer and if I remember right he had like 5 weeks to make the entire game. Total cash grab that triggered a market collapse.

#17165 2 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Yep, having been involved in various game licensing situations (including one with Disney), I can verify this.
Just before we released a Star Trek:TNG game, Paramount suddenly told us that we could no longer use Cardassians as an enemy in our game, because they were now reserved for the Deep Space Nine license. Even though that same week, the new TNG episode had Picard being captured (and tortured) by the Cardassians. We had to do a last minute scramble to find a suitable replacement villain and re-do the artwork.

Haha, what year/game was it? I was a tester on a PC game called Deep Space 9: Harbinger. I think it was ‘95? I don’t remember if the game has Cardassians in it, but I wonder if that was the game.

#17166 2 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Too bad we can't make everyone stop including Kardashians in all media.

#17167 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

deep code is boring, a pin needs to be fun off the bat... These new pins that need a tutorial to be played are ridiculous. I do not want to go study pinball, if I wanted to study something I would grab a book, not a freaking rules set for a pinball machine... I own one of these game with deep rules and cannot wait to get rid of it.

And yet you couldnt pay me to own that T2.
Different strokes for different folks

#17168 2 years ago
Quoted from chad:

In his defense the designer had one month

#17169 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Haha, what year/game was it? I was a tester on a PC game called Deep Space 9: Harbinger. I think it was ‘95? I don’t remember if the game has Cardassians in it, but I wonder if that was the game.

No, it was this game : https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation_(game)

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#17170 2 years ago

Right - but I wonder if the DS9 game I was working on was the reason you had to axe the Cardassians.

#17171 2 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Atari gave the programmer for ET five weeks to come up with a game by Christmas. So considering the time constraints, it could have turned out much worse.

#17172 2 years ago
Quoted from cloggedDrain:

Yeah, it was one developer and if I remember right he had like 5 weeks to make the entire game. Total cash grab that triggered a market collapse.

The big cause for the crash was they there were so many games out for the Atari 2600 that were not good and Atari released the 5200, then soon after the 7800.

Then all the other consoles from other companies. Nintendo brought video gaming back into the home with the NES. Best days when Sega vs Nintendo.

#17173 2 years ago

Here's one I worked on. A Riddick pin could be pretty cool.. Take advantage of that UV lighting feature.

220px-RiddickButcherBay (resized).jpg220px-RiddickButcherBay (resized).jpg
#17174 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Right - but I wonder if the DS9 game I was working on was the reason you had to axe the Cardassians.

I don't think it was a specific game that made them change things. When they decided to start licensing DS9, they came up with a list of things that were DS9 related, and said that these things now belonged to the DS9 license, and were no longer included in the TNG license.

But it was really silly in that the same week they gave us this info, the TNG episode had the Cardassians capturing and torturing Picard.

#17175 2 years ago
Quoted from djsoup:

Here's one I worked on. A Riddick pin could be pretty cool.. Take advantage of that UV lighting feature.
[quoted image]

Excellent game, great memories!

If you wanna live you gotta get a shiv!

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#17176 2 years ago

Countdown!

Screenshot_20210429-222911_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210429-222911_Facebook (resized).jpg

#17177 2 years ago

Aww man, if it's Randy's art on Mando we're in for a right treat!

#17178 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Well been a while, but after hearing the news of Mandolorian, I’ve contacted my distributor and in for the fun. Rumor mill in full swing it appears.

Ha I did too. I'm 7th in line....

Also if these rumors hold true looks like I'll be putting my Vault Star Trek up on the block.

#17179 2 years ago
Quoted from GoodOmens:

Ha I did too. I'm 7th in line....
Also if these rumors hold true looks like I'll be putting my Vault Star Trek up on the block.

Does it require deposit to get in line?

#17180 2 years ago

The VR star wars tables just came out on the oculus quest today. I played their Mando pin and Cara dune was thankfully on the artwork with call outs. I could care less what she tweats in real life.

Hearing the theme song with Mando mumbling about his next job wasn't very exciting. Hopefully stern can liven up their version with battle scenes and pumping remixed music. The game should represent a campy action packed spaghetti western in space and not take itself serious. Baby Yoda causing trouble a plus.

#17181 2 years ago
Quoted from tacreno:

Does it require deposit to get in line?

The distributer I emailed wasn't taking deposits until the next game was announced.

#17182 2 years ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

The VR star wars tables just came out on the oculus quest today. I played their Mando pin and Cara dune was thankfully on the artwork with call outs. I could care less what she tweats in real life.
Hearing the theme song with Mando mumbling about his next job wasn't very exciting..

Zen games have notoriously shitty sound design. They don't know how to choreograph or mix well.

#17183 2 years ago

Am I the only one that is looking for more then the comic art package on the pro for mando?

#17184 2 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Am I the only one that is looking for more then the comic art package on the pro for mando?

I’d be fine with it, I actually like all the comic scenes they show during the credits of the show.

#17185 2 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I’d be fine with it, I actually like all the comic scenes they show during the credits of the show.

I like it on the Richie pins but would like something different on Mondo.

#17186 2 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Those aren't really comic style....they're the concept art/art direction for the show.
https://www.starwars.com/news/the-art-of-the-mandalorian

#17187 2 years ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

Hearing the theme song with Mando mumbling about his next job wasn't very exciting. Hopefully stern can liven up their version with battle scenes and pumping remixed music. The game should represent a campy action packed spaghetti western in space and not take itself serious. Baby Yoda causing trouble a plus.

I just gave it a shot and submitted a refund for the game. I may have just played too much real pinball but the entire game feels off and awkward. The Mando table has some very repetitive callouts and animations. Text on tables is also a bit difficult to read.

#17188 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Those aren't really comic style....they're the concept art/art direction for the show.
https://www.starwars.com/news/the-art-of-the-mandalorian

Yeah I’m no art expert but I like the concept art and think it would work well for a pin.

#17189 2 years ago

This works for me..

FAD8ACB5-4F56-4FBD-A850-499E85208C1D (resized).jpegFAD8ACB5-4F56-4FBD-A850-499E85208C1D (resized).jpeg
#17190 2 years ago

yeah love the art at the end of each episode. pretty awesome drawings.

#17191 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

yeah love the art at the end of each episode. pretty awesome drawings.

Yes, done in a very similar style to the original Ralph McQuarrie concept drawings for the first trilogy.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#17192 2 years ago

Anyone catch the new star wars vr Pinball that was released today, which includes a mandalorian table?

Of course you didn't but I'm into vr and guess what..... Looks like if kaneda is right, zenn either stole sterns idea of the upper pf with drop targets or Stern is ok with zenn using the design

Or..... The rumor was actually about the mandalorian vr table!

About 3 min in...

#17193 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Anyone catch the new star wars vr Pinball that was released today, which includes a mandalorian table?
Of course you didn't but I'm into vr and guess what..... Looks like if kaneda is right, zenn either stole sterns idea of the upper pf with drop targets or Stern is ok with zenn using the design
Or..... The rumor was actually about the mandalorian vr table!
About 3 min in...

What if all the rumors were about this table?! Is there a ship/ramp thing that was talked about?

#17194 2 years ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

What if all the rumors were about this table?! Is there a ship/ramp thing that was talked about?

#17195 2 years ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

There kind of is. Check out that left ramp. The ship is also there on the right side. Check the video out.

Actually here is a pic.

20210430_000817 (resized).jpg20210430_000817 (resized).jpg
#17196 2 years ago

Who would be on board for the code?

#17197 2 years ago

Next Stern - $6199/$7799/$9199

My SW Pro (NIB) delivered and set up 3/31/21 was $5650.

#17198 2 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Who would be on board for the code?

Total guess: Lonnie or maybe Dwight, with a slight edge to Dwight due to the license

Lyman is reserved for "premium" priced games now because of his coding rep $$$ (see: Batman'66, Elvira HoH). I'm thinking he's on BTTF or Harry Potter
Tanio I'm HOPING is working on the Spike LotR port/code emulation due to his familiarity with low-level Spike 2, having helped with the OS.
Rick seems pretty tightly associated with Keith Elwin lately (Maiden/Avengers:IQ)
Tim seems pretty tightly associated with Steve Ritchie lately (BK:SoR/LZ)
I'd like to see what RayDay could do as a lead, but I think he's still too new at Stern to be handed the keys as lead for something like Mandalorian. Probably code support for a while longer.

#17199 2 years ago

What about Lonnie for the pro and Lyman for the Premium/Le models. That would be a real differentiator

#17200 2 years ago
Quoted from 7oxford:

What about Lonnie for the pro and Lyman for the Premium/Le models. That would be a real differentiator

They're not going to have dual leads, and not going to waste Lyman on a traditional cornerstone release that has a pro model now that they've seen the $$$ power his involvement has. I would bet that the next Lyman release will be another that is Premium/LE/SuperLE (or equivalent), no Pro.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.95
Machine - For Sale
Charlotte, NC
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 375.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinMod Industries

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Bensenville, IL
$ 290.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Beyond Shop

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

There are 46,876 posts in this topic. You are on page 344 of 938.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine/page/344 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.