Albumism_TheCars_TheCars_16x9.jpg
IMG_1935 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240412_203046_Chrome (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240412_203117_Chrome (resized).jpg
DSC06496 (resized).JPG
DSC06495 (resized).JPG
DSC05223 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 46,873 posts in this topic. You are on page 334 of 938.
#16651 2 years ago

This is not what I want to see on an $8k pinball machine. Johnny=Crap...the fact that he would even put this on his website is alarming. It’s awful, high school art class level.

Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Johnny Crap’s work is very good and I look forward to seeing what he does with Mando. Johnny don’t give us Crap
I really dug the JP premium cabinet with different art on left and right side of cabinet. Maybe he will continue this on MAN premium.

B08751FA-6A4E-4A1B-AF12-D93BF297ADAA (resized).pngB08751FA-6A4E-4A1B-AF12-D93BF297ADAA (resized).png
#16652 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

[honest trailers video]

6.5 minutes of that schtick? Oh come on! What were they thinking smdh

#16653 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

This is not what I want to see on an $8k pinball machine. Johnny=Crap...the fact that he would even put this on his website is alarming. It’s awful, high school art class level.
[quoted image]

WTF is going on here? I’m sure you’re not the absolute best at your line of work, but we don’t blast you for doing your job? You’ve stated several times that you don’t like his stuff. We get it.

#16654 2 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

What looks like amateur hour?? Nothing has been revealed. You make no sense.

The Johnny Crap screen grab that i quoted from an earlier post. I YES make sense

#16655 2 years ago

Agreed

Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

[quoted image]

#16656 2 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

Really, the guy does one pinball machine and you already write him off? Guys like him are exactly what stern needs. Like you said ZombieYeti cant do every machine.
I happen to really like the overall art package of Jurassic Park myself.

Judging by THAT particular Mando drawing (and the Chewbaccaone)...yeah, id write him off on a Mando pin.

#16657 2 years ago
Quoted from Kyleman:

I am here to tell Christopher Franchi is the best technically and it isn't close.His stuff is intimidating for fellow artist.His batman and Beatles kills avengers and turtles but whatever grab some crayons and coloring books.

Too bad he doesnt understand how to business and Stern had to can him

#16658 2 years ago

I am literally an art consultant, my job is to critique...so this comment is actually hilarious.

Quoted from jdoz2:

WTF is going on here? I’m sure you’re not the absolute best at your line of work, but we don’t blast you for doing your job? You’ve stated several times that you don’t like his stuff. We get it.

#16659 2 years ago

Johnny’s controlled line work is sharp, but it is his composition that really shines. His layout of the subject matter pulls me in and gives his work a comfortable feeling. I really liked his Tilt pinball design, but his work is kind of hit or miss.
5C45FE1E-0FFB-4265-BE77-AB230CD9E5E6.jpeg5C45FE1E-0FFB-4265-BE77-AB230CD9E5E6.jpeg

#16660 2 years ago

So, which title is going to be the next Stern/Kapow title?

Surely that is BTTF?

Guess it looks like Mando next but would not be a shock at all if it was BTTF.

#16661 2 years ago

Kaneda misread his email.
The next isnt Mando.
The next game is Mario!!

(Jk but Mario would SELL. The crappy Gottliebs are big earners)

Screenshot_20210423-090527_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210423-090527_Chrome (resized).jpg

#16662 2 years ago

Yeah, that’s awful. It’s “horror vacui” it’s flat, the color palette is all over the place. His figures are awkwardly spaced and posed. The main focal point of the image is Wonkas purple jacket so it’s a terrible composition. He is clearly an undertrained and underqualified visual artist for this level of product. This image reads like an over rendered sketch book page, not a finished product.

Johnny’s style is line work and some of his work outshines his others. I really liked this pinball T-shirt design. [quoted image]

#16663 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

[quoted image]

I don't even know who the guy is but from a high level, his name (or nickname?) Is Johnny Crap, right? What else would you expect?... and yes, that Chewbacca drawing you posted seemingly falls in that category .

#16664 2 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Johnny did an amazing job on doing 3 JP themed pins.
Pro was JP morning
Prem was JP midday/sunset
LE was JP Storm
Very good artist that would do a good job on Mando/Biff/BTTF, lol.

Ok, I retract my previous statement. I didn't realize the same guy did the JP pins. I havexa premium and I like the art. Not as good as GB but decent nonetheless.... that Chewbacca drawing does look like crap, though

#16665 2 years ago

I like the playfield on JP, but the backglass and cabinet designs on all models dont really do it for me. It’s not the worst I’ve seen, it’s just a bit childlike for the theme.

Quoted from Utesichiban:

Ok, I retract my previous statement. I didn't realize the same guy did the JP pins. I havexa premium and I like the art. Not as good as GB but decent nonetheless.... that Chewbacca drawing does look like crap, though

#16666 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

I am literally an art consultant, my job is to critique...so this comment is actually hilarious.

So you’re informed enough to know his work isn’t “high school work at best” and “Johnny=crap.” You’d think an art consultant would have a more useful and constructive vocabulary for critiquing than that..

#16667 2 years ago

I’m not on the job right now. Right now, I’m just voicing my opinion. Which doesn’t matter any more or less than anyone else’s opinion. Also...you should see the kind of language that gets thrown around in this industry. My comments are mild comparatively haha.

Quoted from jdoz2:

So you’re informed enough to know his work isn’t “high school work at best” and “Johnny=crap.” You’d think an art consultant would have a more useful and constructive vocabulary for critiquing than that..

#16668 2 years ago

Is there any idea on who might be doing the code on this one??

#16669 2 years ago

Really hoping its not "Mando". Selfishly because I already have a Star Wars pin. I wonder if this is a sign that Sterns OG Star Wars license is about to expire...

#16670 2 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

1977-1983 - I was done after that..... twas a slippery slope from there.
Just about everything on the TV is Star Wars these days.
How may times are they gonna milk this cow?
For the franchise...... now the pins
Money spinner to the max, taking two characters that the fans have some magnetic appeal to - a cute green baby Yoda thingy + a Boba Fett
Its done already.
I guess you want a Jar Jar Binks Special Edition too?

Cool story bro. I’m not a Star Wars fan and your opinion is irrelevant to this fact: Star Wars is huge. Mando is huge. This game will be huge. End of story.

#16671 2 years ago

Johnny Crap’s work is very good and I look forward to seeing what he does with Mando. Johnny don’t give us Crap

He’s not doing it...sooo

#16672 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

He’s not doing it...sooo

Im sure they’ll find someone good to do it.

#16673 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Really happy it’s mandalorian. Much easier to pass on it. Yawn.
Although I would love to see the kaneda haters eat crow if it’s truly mango.

Does Delt passing on a machine mean he will only buy and sell it twice?

#16674 2 years ago

I think Stern are leaking false info for fun!

Mando 'LOREAN' is surely code name for BTTF!

I am ready here to go back to the future

#16675 2 years ago

Another reason I think it's NOT Mandalorean.

Premiered Nov 2019.

That is around 17 months ago.

Stern games typically take around 18 months from design to production.

Did Stern really start this game before anyone even saw an episode???

Kaneda and others are being fed plenty of red herrings!

#16676 2 years ago

I think it would be funny if Stern did Angry Birds with Steve Ritchies voice ala Black Knight 2000 and The Skull in No Fear.

#16677 2 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Another reason I think it's NOT Mandalorean.
Premiered Nov 2019.
That is around 17 months ago.
Kaneda and others are being fed plenty of red herrings!

You obviously must realize that the production of the show was at least 2 years in the making even before the first episode premiered. If in fact the Mandalorean is the next pin, they most likely had source material well before 17 months ago.

#16678 2 years ago

It’s not going to be Mandalorean. K man is simply wrong like he is 9/10 times.

#16679 2 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

You obviously must realize that the production of the show was at least 2 years in the making even before the first episode premiered. If in fact the Mandalorean is the next pin, they most likely had source material well before 17 months ago.

Yeah, for sure.

But at the time no one had a clue if the show would be any good.

Would Stern have started the game before the reviews started to flow in?

#16680 2 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

It’s not going to be Mandalorean. K man is simply wrong like he is 9/10 times.

Is it legal to place bets on Pinside? LET'S GOOOOOO! It'll pay for my Mando lol

#16681 2 years ago

Removed... I was probably too harsh.

#16682 2 years ago

They don't usually take that long. Ritchie takes long...the rest can crank 'em out. Stern has tight ties with Disney/Lucasfilm....and I'm sure the second they saw the show and "Baby Yoda", they locked in the license. It was an obvious hit from Day 1.

#16683 2 years ago

I hope Stern surprises us like they did with AIQ. If Stern could keep a Elwin-ZY pin under wraps I am hoping for something that isn't on anyones radar.

#16684 2 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

I hope Stern surprises us like they did with AIQ. If Stern could keep a Elwin-ZY pin under wraps I am hoping for something that isn't on anyones radar.

LOL just accept it. TAKE IT. Embrace the Mando. Love the Mando.

#16685 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

They don't usually take that long. Ritchie takes long...the rest can crank 'em out. Stern has tight ties with Disney/Lucasfilm....and I'm sure the second they saw the show and "Baby Yoda", they locked in the license. It was an obvious hit from Day 1.

Agree.

But BTTF was supposedly coming out soon, and that would be a smash.

And it's just the kind of thing Stern would do - code name Man da lorean.

And then leak it and see where the leaks end up!

Love Mandalorian so won't be disappointed if it is.

My money is on BTTF but it's kind of a red/black bet.

#16686 2 years ago

My money is on BTTF but it's kind of a red/black bet.

Let's go...lets place bets! I love free money.

#16687 2 years ago

Everyone saying how much they love "Mando" but still calling him "baby Yoda"?
Blasphemy!!

#16688 2 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Everyone saying how much they love "Mando" but still calling him "baby Yoda"?
Blasphemy!!

I still prefer "The Child" to "Grogu".

#16689 2 years ago

They can cut it down even further if re-utilize the Home SW pin PF.

#16690 2 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:Everyone saying how much they love "Mando" but still calling him "baby Yoda"?
Blasphemy!!

Sorry...GLORGOO!!!!

#16691 2 years ago
Quoted from Kyleman:

It cracks me up.Everyone acts like Zombie Yeti is the only upscale artist.I am a drafter slash comic artist not the best but good and I am here to tell Christopher Franchi is the best technically and it isn't close.His stuff is intimidating for fellow artist.His batman and Beatles kills avengers and turtles but whatever grab some crayons and coloring books.

A fellow Hoosier that isn’t pushing Yeti propaganda!?!? How dare you!! (I kid!)

First off...I’m not upscale at anything in life! So I agree with you!!!

...But putting Chris and I against each other is always an odd play. Chris will gladly tell you that we do different things. I create assets and styleguides from nothing and he uses reference to create assets - so he had better be more technically accurate (and he is with style to spare!)

I ain’t great at what I do either btw. But I try to grow and stretch in hopes some day I like something I do.

I don’t want to do every license out there and I pick what I have passion for so I can do the best I can for the project and fans of it. These projects aren’t easy and take far more time than you can imagine. I’m not gonna do a project I don’t love just for a check. So if people can see that it might be more of a Yeti sell than the actual art

But more to the point - Johnny Crap is one of the hardest working illustrators AND can design a playfield which is not an easy task for an artist used to the freedom of a canvas. I get that art is subjective and people don’t always like what the other person does - BUT - anyone who has undertaken a pinball art package (or 3 with stern) deserves some credit for hitting a schedule and taking some risks. Don’t tear people apart (this is pinside tho - so...) as a critique of what you may or may not like.

And with that - I’ll get back to work...

#16692 2 years ago

Yeah, for sure.
But at the time no one had a clue if the show would be any good.
Would Stern have started the game before the reviews started to flow in?

The Shadow
Congo
Johnny Mnemonic
Tron
Demolition Man

Am I missing any?

#16693 2 years ago
56vgnz (resized).jpg56vgnz (resized).jpg
#16694 2 years ago

I think the art is mostly decent on my JP Premium, but the translite is pretty bad. The cabinet art on the side is pretty good. It's so inconsistent and I think that's what bothers me.

#16695 2 years ago

"Grogu" was introduced far to late to really feel right. For the entire series, you're calling him "The Child" or "Baby Yoda." By the time "Grogu" comes into it, it's kinda like, meh.

#16696 2 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

I ain’t great at what I do either btw. But I try to grow and stretch in hopes some day I like something I do.
I don’t want to do every license out there and I pick what I have passion for so I can do the best I can for the project and fans of it. These projects aren’t easy and take far more time than you can imagine. I’m not gonna do a project I don’t love just for a check. So if people can see that it might be more of a Yeti sell than the actual art

I would pay you for a JP playfield.

#16697 2 years ago
download.jpeg-2 (resized).jpgdownload.jpeg-2 (resized).jpg
#16698 2 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

I ain’t great at what I do either btw.

Oh staaahp. You know you're the best, you know your work moves games, you know we want you to do every game. Appreciate the humbleness...but c'mon, BASK IN IT!!!!

#16699 2 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

A fellow Hoosier that isn’t pushing Yeti propaganda!?!? How dare you!! (I kid!)
First off...I’m not upscale at anything in life! So I agree with you!!!
...But putting Chris and I against each other is always an odd play. Chris will gladly tell you that we do different things. I create assets and styleguides from nothing and he uses reference to create assets - so he had better be more technically accurate (and he is with style to spare!)
But more to the point - Johnny Crap is one of the hardest working illustrators AND can design a playfield which is not an easy task for an artist used to the freedom of a canvas. I get that art is subjective and people don’t always like what the other person does - BUT - anyone who has undertaken a pinball art package (or 3 with stern) deserves some credit for hitting a schedule and taking some risks. Don’t tear people apart (this is pinside tho - so...) as a critique of what you may or may not like.
And with that - I’ll get back to work...

The man, the myth, the legend! Thanks for all of your hard work, my family loves our Tutles because of how beautiful your artwork is. Keep doing cool stuff, hopefully we will see the rest of that Bill and Teds artwork someday, and hopefully in pinball form.

#16700 2 years ago
il_570xN.2293896314_tbj2 (resized).jpgil_570xN.2293896314_tbj2 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Drumstarr mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

7,500 (OBO)
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 47.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Space Coast Pinball

$ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

There are 46,873 posts in this topic. You are on page 334 of 938.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine/page/334?hl=medic7000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.