Whoa (resized).jpg
51AE3C41-1E6E-417B-B0FC-EAF0D317F2BB.gif
vince-neil-is-upset (resized).jpg
Severance (resized).JPG
We_were_on_a_break1-ezgif.com-webp-to-gif-converter.gif
maxresdefault (resized).jpeg
images (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 47,057 posts in this topic. You are on page 288 of 942.
#14351 3 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

So any guesses on the next Stern Puzzle?

Time Traveling Car

#14352 3 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

It’s an intentional choice by Keith, is my understanding. He’s got a rough budget to work within and can spend that budget on licensed material like real actor callouts/movie footage, or he can use Stern created footage and have a dinosaur mech above the left ramp with the money saved.
Some people prefer more licensed material and less on the playfield.
And yes, he’s very much responsible for the code despite not being listed as the coder.

I’m fully aware of how Elwin is supposed to work and his layout and rule structure is next level. I just don’t have the appetite for another animated approximation of a theme. I have AIQ, JP and IMDN that fill that gap nicely.

And I still argue rules and code are not the same thing.

#14353 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

And I still argue rules and code are not the same thing.

You’re absolutely correct. And on that same note, animations and sound are not code either.

#14354 3 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

You’re absolutely correct. And on that same note, animations and sound are not code either.

Yes, but apparently it’s Elwins decision to use his “asset” budget on the Playfield.

#14355 3 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

So any guesses on the next Stern Puzzle?

The tree from Harry Potter catching the car

#14356 3 years ago

Spring - Godzilla
Summer - JAWS
Fall / Winter - Tron 82' / Back To The Future

#14357 3 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

Spring - Godzilla
Summer - JAWS

1 out of 3 ain’t bad

#14358 3 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

Spring - Godzilla
Summer - JAWS

That sounds nice but what about Welk? He already has his own action puzzle.
1DF4B1BA-263B-45EF-B5D9-11A8C68CEE24.jpeg1DF4B1BA-263B-45EF-B5D9-11A8C68CEE24.jpeg

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#14359 3 years ago

I was born in 1969 and JAWS is too old for me. Never seen it.

#14360 3 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Shame on you for having good parents who didn’t make you watch it like me

#14361 3 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

I was also born in 1969. I can't believe you never saw it. It came out in 1975 and I can remember all the kids in my elementary school having total shark fever. We would draw the Jaws shark on our notebooks, book covers, etc. We'd make the John Williams sound effects when we were swimming. It was a huge part of my childhood. And my parents didn't let me see the movie until years later when it was shown (severely edited) on network TV. I think I was probably 12 or 13 before I finally saw it for the first time.

#14362 3 years ago
Quoted from Charlemagne1987:

I was also born in 1969. I can't believe you never saw it. It came out in 1975 and I can remember all the kids in my elementary school having total shark fever. We would draw the Jaws shark on our notebooks, book covers, etc. We'd make the John Williams sound effects when we were swimming. It was a huge part of my childhood. And my parents didn't let me see the movie until years later when it was shown (severely edited) on network TV. I think I was probably 12 or 13 before I finally saw it for the first time.

I was like 4 when it came out and when I finally saw it (can't remember when) I couldn't understand why everyone was so damn stupid when there was a killer shark going around killing people but they just loved swimming too much.

#14363 3 years ago

Jaws had a big impact on my life. Grew up in FL and decided against ocean swimming at night after watching it. Still swam during the day, but I kept both eyes open. I didn’t need a movie to tell me not to swim in creeks with alligators. A Jaws pinball with “presence” would be great.

Shark attack makes #3 on my list of things that freak me out. #2 is big hairy spiders like in LOTR while #1 is a plane crash.

#14364 3 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I was like 4 when it came out and when I finally saw it (can't remember when) I couldn't understand why everyone was so damn stupid when there was a killer shark going around killing people but they just loved swimming too much.

Do you get it now? Same reason people go to packed parties with no mask during a pandemic.

#14365 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Do you get it now? Same reason people go to packed parties with no mask during a pandemic.

Shark fatigue is no joke!

#14366 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Jaws had a big impact on my life. Grew up in FL and decided against ocean swimming at night after watching it. Still swam during the day, but I kept both eyes open. I didn’t need a movie to tell me not to swim in creeks with alligators. A Jaws pinball with “presence” would be great.
Shark attack makes #3 on my list of things that freak me out. #2 is big hairy spiders like in LOTR while #1 is a plane crash.

Let me know if you need the name of a good therapist.

#14367 3 years ago

Jaws is the only movie where I've literally seen a woman throw her popcorn in the air from fright in a theatre. That scene when they're exploring the boat underwater and there's a big chunk out of the hull, they find a shark's tooth, and the music is tense - then that body pops up from the depths of the boat by the diver's hand freaked a woman out so much she screamed and threw her popcorn up in the air. Cracked me up.

But I still don't see the appeal of a Jaws pin.

#14368 3 years ago

I was also born in 1969. I can't believe you never saw it. It came out in 1975 and I can remember all the kids in my elementary school having total shark fever.

I was 9, my Grandmother took me. The theater was packed, only seats were front row and center. I nearly crapped my pants when the half eaten dude with the eyeball popped out from the boat wreckage ...

#14369 3 years ago

Is it just me or does the shooter rod have better artwork then the actual cabinets?

LZ shooter (resized).pngLZ shooter (resized).png
#14370 3 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

You mean, It's in storage... GREAT SCOTT!!
[quoted image]

If I had a Delorean I would only use it from time to time...

#14371 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I see the appeal but not sure how capture the movie in a pin. What is there besides the scary music and impending shark attack? A few boat scenes I guess. If you go through a mode ladder buildup to the exciting shark stuff it would just turn into "who brought the dog" moments. Still sounds better than another superhero or classic rock band theme.

#14372 3 years ago

Since puzzles is a subject here now, there is a prank puzzle that you can buy, there's the image on the outside of the box and there's the puzzle as assembled.

#14373 3 years ago

I’d lose it if Stern made Jaws
Jaws and Jaws 2 are two of my favourite films ever
I have an LE on pre-pre-order with my distributor should it ever happen

#14374 3 years ago

Jaws - original is a good movie, mainly due to the actors and nostalgia.
The rest of the franchise - turds.
Unfortunately when I watch Jaws now....rubber shark chasing and eating the boat just hasn’t aged well.
Back in the 1970s sharks were still a bit of an Enigma..... but now, we all kinda know that sort of fishy behaviour is horse-shit.

#14375 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Yes, but apparently it’s Elwins decision to use his “asset” budget on the Playfield.

And thank god for guys here like Timlah79 to create custom audio and video for us with JP to round out what was missed out on in regards those assets .

#14376 3 years ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

Is it just me or does the shooter rod have better artwork then the actual cabinets?
[quoted image]

It's just you. The shooter rod (which, admittedly, isn't what I would have wanted for a shooter rod because it's so freaking clunky) looks better on the premium and pro than the LE. The topper looks better on the LE than anything else. But I can assure you the LE looks pretty awesome in person...and I was a huge doubter when they posted the pictures.

#14377 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

screamed and threw her popcorn up in the air. Cracked me up.

I see the appeal more after that story!

#14378 3 years ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

[quoted image]

It’s you, everyone I’ve seen who owns any of the three versions seem quite happy with the art.

#14379 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:It's just you. The shooter rod (which, admittedly, isn't what I would have wanted for a shooter rod because it's so freaking clunky) looks better on the premium and pro than the LE. The topper looks better on the LE than anything else. But I can assure you the LE looks pretty awesome in person...and I was a huge doubter when they posted the pictures.

I have a feeling the production shooter will be scaled better than what we have seen in pics.

#14380 3 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

Jaws - original is a good movie, mainly due to the actors and nostalgia.
The rest of the franchise - turds.
Unfortunately when I watch Jaws now....rubber shark chasing and eating the boat just hasn’t aged well.
Back in the 1970s sharks were still a bit of an Enigma..... but now, we all kinda know that sort of fishy behaviour is horse-shit.

Jaws 2 was good, but yes the others are turds.

#14381 3 years ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

[quoted image]

I can agree with that statement.

#14382 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

That sounds nice but what about Welk? He already has his own action puzzle.
[quoted image]

I collect vinyl records. Check out what i saw the other day:

20210228_170501 (resized).jpg20210228_170501 (resized).jpg
#14383 3 years ago

Born 1977... love all the jaws movies. Scared the shit out of me.

I think a horror movie theme would be great. Saw being #1 but I would be in on a jaws.

#14384 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

It's just you. The shooter rod (which, admittedly, isn't what I would have wanted for a shooter rod because it's so freaking clunky) looks better on the premium and pro than the LE. The topper looks better on the LE than anything else. But I can assure you the LE looks pretty awesome in person...and I was a huge doubter when they posted the pictures.

Quoted from Psw757:

It’s you, everyone I’ve seen who owns any of the three versions seem quite happy with the art.

I have played both the pro and the LE. Artwork does look better when you are standing at the game. Yes the shooter rod is big, but I was referring to the grittiness of the art. I just wanted more artwork in the style of the old man drawings.

#14385 3 years ago

Can we puhlease get on with the TRON VE announcement already!?

#14386 3 years ago

Its toooo quiet

Must be something weird
Carebears or my little pony

#14387 3 years ago

I dont really get the idea of a horror pinball theme as I have never played one, I would like to try TWD but not sure I would enjoy a horror based theme.

#14388 3 years ago

I need a better horror theme then TWD. Saw would be great, Nightmare on Elm St would be my top pick.

#14389 3 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

I need a better horror theme then TWD. Saw would be great, Nightmare on Elm St would be my top pick.

A horror pin that I think I could get behind would be Halloween. The iconic music alone would do wonders for setting the proper mood. A life-size mask and knife would also be great pieces to integrate into the game. I am sure hand drawn art that looks much like the actors and town from the movie would be cool too.

#14390 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

I dont really get the idea of a horror pinball theme as I have never played one, I would like to try TWD but not sure I would enjoy a horror based theme.

I am not a fan of horror AT ALL, and I put off trying TWD because of it, but it turned into an AMAZING game after a rough start. Easily top 5 now. Do yourself a favor and get past the ugly playfield and theme. Really well done machine.

#14391 3 years ago

From our distributor..
"The new model/game from Stern will not now be released until after April as Stern is really focused on filling existing orders."

Keep guessing guys.. you have a couple more months

#14392 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I am not a fan of horror AT ALL, and I put off trying TWD because of it, but it turned into an AMAZING game after a rough start. Easily top 5 now. Do yourself a favor and get past the ugly playfield and theme. Really well done machine.

See, I don't understand the "ugly playfield and theme" knock against this game. I am unapologetically not a fan of TWD as a whole (but I don't really have a problem with it, either...just not my thing), but I feel like they did a fine job of bringing a dystopian feel to the machine and the playfield. If I were to have a knock on this particular machine/title, I would say that the clunkiness factor on it is a goodly bit more than other titles of its era, but I don't have a problem with the way they integrated the theme, and the art/aesthetics package as a whole reflects that, to me. If you want to poke some fun at the callouts or something, well, sure: there's a cheese factor there, but it's a zombie-based theme...I think, by nature, you need to have a cheesiness factor there, even if it's a bit tongue-in-cheek.

The ugly nature of the theme sort of fits. It's like Tales From The Crypt: I think that artwork is *hideous*, but I don't really criticize it as the theme is a grotesque one as well, so it sort of works in that way.

#14393 3 years ago
Quoted from boagman:

See, I don't understand the "ugly playfield and theme" knock against this game. I am unapologetically not a fan of TWD as a whole (but I don't really have a problem with it, either...just not my thing), but I feel like they did a fine job of bringing a dystopian feel to the machine and the playfield. If I were to have a knock on this particular machine/title, I would say that the clunkiness factor on it is a goodly bit more than other titles of its era, but I don't have a problem with the way they integrated the theme, and the art/aesthetics package as a whole reflects that, to me. If you want to poke some fun at the callouts or something, well, sure: there's a cheese factor there, but it's a zombie-based theme...I think, by nature, you need to have a cheesiness factor there, even if it's a bit tongue-in-cheek.
The ugly nature of the theme sort of fits. It's like Tales From The Crypt: I think that artwork is *hideous*, but I don't really criticize it as the theme is a grotesque one as well, so it sort of works in that way.

I'm not saying the playfield and art don't fit the theme. They absolutely DO. It's just a LOT of browns and dark reds, which makes it not very approachable, especially for someone who doesn't watch or hasn't watched the show. But that's on brand for a horror theme.

#14394 3 years ago

Going to be Godzilla.

#14395 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I'm not saying the playfield and art don't fit the theme. They absolutely DO. It's just a LOT of browns and dark reds, which makes it not very approachable, especially for someone who doesn't watch or hasn't watched the show. But that's on brand for a horror theme.

Fair enough. I don't, and have not watched the show, but I find the aesthetic of the game to be correct.

#14396 3 years ago

I think TWD is pretty ugly. It's not the grotesqueness that is off putting, I simply don't like the color palette and it's mostly uninspired photoshop montage art. There are a few nice touches in the art and some of the inserts are well done, but it doesn't all come together for me.

Good light show and background audio though. Solid toys and integration. Gameplay is great and the layout is relatively interesting. I enjoy the difficulty level. But I have no interest in it because it's ugly. There are so many machines to pick from, it's easy to scratch some off the list. I'm not an art snob (I love my Flash and have had my fair share of Data East/Sega games) but it is relevant when I want a game in the house and not my workshop.

I'll agree they get a lot of the aesthetic right, but it still doesn't do much for me.

#14397 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I think TWD is pretty ugly. but it is relevant when I want a game in the house and not my workshop.

There's a reason my wife told me it was not a machine that would be welcome in our house.

#14398 3 years ago

If they make Jaws, then please make it next year. After just buying JP and putting a deposit on GnR, my wife would KILL me talking up Jaws - although, i do have the room for it!!

#14399 3 years ago

TWD > 99% of pins ever made, and I’ve never seen an episode.

#14400 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

TWD > 99% of pins ever made, and I’ve never seen an episode.

I agree. I think it is one of the best games ever made. Individual layout and art that is totally different to any other machine = winner!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Asheville, NC
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 549.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Other
BomberMods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

There are 47,057 posts in this topic. You are on page 288 of 942.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine/page/288?hl=thunderbird and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.