20240423_100723 (resized).jpg
Whoa (resized).jpg
51AE3C41-1E6E-417B-B0FC-EAF0D317F2BB.gif
vince-neil-is-upset (resized).jpg
Severance (resized).JPG
We_were_on_a_break1-ezgif.com-webp-to-gif-converter.gif
maxresdefault (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 47,063 posts in this topic. You are on page 287 of 942.
#14301 3 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Agreed. Stern is not in the puzzle business and could care less about it. They are promoting pinball and the puzzle is all about Godzilla and not a samurai. I read, write and speak fluent Japanese and that is katakana for pinball written below the Stern logo. Stern would not have reason to show Japanese wording if it wasn’t about selling Godzilla the pinball machine (not a $6 puzzle) very soon.

Yep. That was my interpretation as well. I’m rusty but lived in Japan (Kyushu) for two years and minored in Japanese in college. Kanji is tougher for me to read now but Hiragana and Katakana I can still read no problem so I can read the clues Stern is dropping as well. All signs point to Godzilla.

Did you live in Japan? Just curious how you learned it and if you still use it at all in your job, etc? I don’t and unfortunately don’t get a chance to use it much.

#14302 3 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

The Navy cooperated on the Top Gun for PR and recruiting purposes. I realize the pinball demographic isn't necessarily their target age for recruitment but it is still good PR and most people who own pinball machines have kids.
It probably wouldn't come cheap but I disagree the license would be unobtainable. I think the bigger issue would be paying Tom Cruise, all the actors, and enough of the soundtrack.

It worked as far as recruiting. My brothers best friend in High school always loved watching the movie. About 5-10 years after he graduated I ran into him. He was flying F15’s.

#14303 3 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

It’s more involved than that. The pentagon allowed for millions of dollars worth of Jets and aircraft carries to be used in the film in exchange for early access to and rights to alter the script prior to filming, which they did. The military industrial complex basically turned ‘Top Gun’ into an American war propaganda film. It’s a little known fact but it’s true.

Just out of curiosity how did all the homoerotica stuff get in the movie? It just seems odd if they had rights to the script they where ok with all of that especially at the time. Was it some kind of trade off like we agree to military propaganda so long as we get all the soft gay stuff and the movie still ends with you can ride my tail anytime I came out of the the theatre at like 15 thinking well that was weird.

#14304 3 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

It’s more involved than that. The pentagon allowed for millions of dollars worth of Jets and aircraft carries to be used in the film in exchange for early access to and rights to alter the script prior to filming, which they did. The military industrial complex basically turned ‘Top Gun’ into an American war propaganda film. It’s a little known fact but it’s true.

Are you talking about the OG, the new one or both. And it's probably billions of dollars as a single F15 costs nearly 90 million dollars and a carrier full of them is going to be well over a billion. I'm guessing both as where else could they get not only access to the planes / ships but the permission to fly them at the altitudes and areas they use for filming. The interviews with the pilots that did a lot of the flying in the first one are entertaining as they were allowed to do stuff that would have instantly gotten them court-martialed and possibly jailed if not for the film.

Anyway, back to pinball. If this were the 90s they'd just do an F22 pin as a follow up to F14 and just mimic the movie enough for you to get the gist but not pay for any license, worry about assets, etc.

#14305 3 years ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

It worked as far as recruiting. My brothers best friend in High school always loved watching the movie. About 5-10 years after he graduated I ran into him. He was flying F15’s.

The Navy had recruiting booths set up at many movie theatres. I've read their recruitment surged the few years around when Top Gun was released. Glad it motivated your friend to become a pilot.

It was never a secret the military cooperated on making the film and that they planned to use it for recruitment. One if the reasons I don't buy the argument that the license is unobtainable due to military considerations. What would they care if a Top Gun pinball machine came out within a year or so of the Top Gun sequel being released?

#14306 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Just out of curiosity how did all the homoerotica stuff get in the movie? It just seems odd if they had rights to the script they where ok with all of that especially at the time. Was it some kind of trade off like we agree to military propaganda so long as we get all the soft gay stuff and the movie still ends with you can ride my tail anytime I came out of the the theatre at like 15 thinking well that was weird.

I always interpreted the volleyball scene as an attempt to draw in the teenage female audience as well. The film clearly was geared and more appealing to a male audience with the theme and action.

#14307 3 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I always interpreted the volleyball scene as an attempt to draw in the teenage female audience as well. The film clearly was geared and more appealing to a male audience with the theme and action.

Oh it was geared to a male audience there is no doubt about that. Was it just the stereotype of the navy? It runs through the entire film. I’m not familiar with the history was it during the whole don’t ask don’t tell of the US military?

#14308 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Oh it was geared to a male audience there is no doubt about that. Was it just the stereotype of the navy? It runs through the entire film. I’m not familiar with the history was it during the whole don’t ask don’t tell of the US military?

Outside the volleyball scene, I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. It is a cold war era, testosterone driven, military action film. I didn't get the vibe you are referencing from Top Gun at all .

#14309 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Yeah, that was just you.

#14310 3 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

The Navy had recruiting booths set up at many movie theatres. I've read their recruitment surged the few years around when Top Gun was released. Glad it motivated your friend to become a pilot.
It was never a secret the military cooperated on making the film and that they planned to use it for recruitment. One if the reasons I don't buy the argument that the license is unobtainable due to military considerations. What would they care if a Top Gun pinball machine came out within a year or so of the Top Gun sequel being released?

I joined the navy in 1988 (Seabees) Got out in 1991.. If I had a
nickel for the number of guys lied to by their
recruiter about how they could end up like Tom
Cruise from top gun I'd be a rich man.

That movie definitely reeled in some gullible
dudes. Felt sorry for them tbh.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#14311 3 years ago

First I think it’s a great movie and there is no negative connotation. There are a thousand breakdowns on the film. Tarantino has an entire monologue on the subject. I didn’t realize it was influenced by the military so it surprised me they approved it at the time.

#14312 3 years ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

I heard that. I remember as a young teenager being all pumped up coming out of the theatre after watching Top Gun. I can see how it made Navy recruiters jobs a lot easier for a while.

I had a marine and navy recruiter pull some pretty hardcore recruiting tactics on me when I was a high school senior. I was never really interested in joining, though. I have a lot of respect for those like you that did serve, however.

#14313 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

First I think it’s a great movie and there is no negative connotation. There are a thousand breakdowns on the film. Tarantino has an entire monologue on the subject. I didn’t realize it was influenced by the military so it surprised me they approved it at the time.

I would take Tarantino's opinions on it with a grain of salt. My apologies to any of his fans on this thread but as far as I'm concerned, that dude is kind of out there (in a demented kind of way).

#14314 3 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I would take Tarantino's opinions on it with a grain of salt. My apologies to any of his fans on this thread but as far as I'm concerned, that dude is kind of out there.

Of course he is out there, it’s what makes his movies amazing. My point was only the homoerotic subplot is as much a part of pop culture as the movie itself. This isn’t some obscure conspiracy or a secret it’s a widely accepted theme of the film. If they could afford it, it would be on as double feature with the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

#14315 3 years ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

Just curious, my impression is that a lot of the guys in the Navy that become the pilots are the Naval Academy graduates or guys that graduated from college ROTC programs. Was that the case?

How often are the guys you're referencing recruited out of high school in a position to become a naval pilot?

#14316 3 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

It seems like it's business as usual at Kramerica Industries.[quoted image]

The puzzles are training tools for those who get unpopulated PFs and have to do the swap.

#14317 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Of course he is out there, it’s what makes his movies amazing. My point was only the homoerotic subplot is as much a part of pop culture as the movie itself. This isn’t some obscure conspiracy or a secret it’s a widely accepted theme of the film. If they could afford it, it would be on as double feature with the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

You keep going down this path but what you are referencing has mostly been a running joke about the volleyball scene. I already told you why they likely threw that in. I have no idea where you're coming from with the rest of it.

#14318 3 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

You keep going down this path but what you are referencing has mostly been a running joke about the volleyball scene. I already told you why they likely threw that in. I have no idea where you're coming from with the rest of it.

Fair enough. Just found it interesting that the military influence was a surprise to me. I’m Canadian though so none of that aspect existed for me but the other side did. Funny cultural difference.

P.S. I wasn’t trying offend or insult anyone was just shooting the breeze and will let this get back to speculating what’s next from Stern.

#14319 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Fair enough. Just found it interesting that the military influence was a surprise to me. I’m Canadian though so none of that aspect existed for me but the other side did. Funny cultural difference.

You are reading way too much into man!

#14320 3 years ago

There is a private message feature that would probably be a better fit for your blossoming bromance.

#14321 3 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I heard that. I remember as a young teenager being all pumped up coming out of the theatre after watching Top Gun. I can see how it made Navy recruiters jobs a lot easier for a while.
I had a marine and navy recruiter pull some pretty hardcore recruiting tactics on me when I was a high school senior. I was never really interested in joining, though. I have a lot of respect for those like you that did serve, however.

Much respect to all who served but like you it never really held a lot of appeal to me. I had a Navy recruiter tell me they'd put me in charge of the reactor on a nuclear sub. I thought to myself I don't want to be on any ship where they would let someone as bad at advanced math and physics as me be in charge of the reactor LOL!

#14322 3 years ago

Godzilla could be hilarious.
Make it right Stern!

18FF4830-0288-412E-AC30-8A5E83B22C11.gif18FF4830-0288-412E-AC30-8A5E83B22C11.gif
#14323 3 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Take it to the bank.

No shit "Hard to Kill" confirmed. I loved that movie as a kid. Im going to Steven Seagal this bitch, LOL!

#14324 3 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Make it right Stern!
[quoted image]

I feel like Lyman is the only Stern employee who could make good use of the assets. If it ends up being like Munsters, where they had the assets but were criminally underused, or JP/AIQ, where they had almost no assets, it’ll be a waist of time IMO.

#14325 3 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Make it right Stern!
[quoted image]

So bad it’s insanely good, I need this in my life. Come on Stern!

#14326 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I feel like Lyman is the only Stern employee who could make goos use of the assets. If it ends up being like Munsters, where they had the assets but were criminally underused, or JP/AIQ, where they had almost no assets, it’ll be a waist of time IMO.

100% agree.
If Lyman is on this and gives it his magic touch, with the same level of theme integration and attention to detail as BM66, then it could really be a fantastically fun game.

#14327 3 years ago

Anyone who has experienced Gappa angry in Elvira HOH knows the masters potential w/Godzilla.

#14328 3 years ago

EXACTLY this! Gappa angry is one of the best modes in pinball history.

Quoted from Vino:

Anyone who has experienced Gappa angry in Elvira HOH knows the masters potential w/Godzilla.

#14329 3 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

I wish, I’m dying to play HOH! Unfortunately I think there are only about 10 in the UK, and all in private collectors homes, zero on location that I know of.

#14330 3 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Agreed. Stern is not in the puzzle business and could care less about it. They are promoting pinball and the puzzle is all about Godzilla and not a samurai. I read, write and speak fluent Japanese and that is katakana for pinball written below the Stern logo. Stern would not have reason to show Japanese wording if it wasn’t about selling Godzilla the pinball machine (not a $6 puzzle) very soon.

So then, extending this logic, do we interpret the wizard puzzle to be hinting at a vault or other variation redoing LOTR?

#14331 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballBJB:

So then, extending this logic, do we interpret the wizard puzzle to be hinting at a vault or other variation redoing LOTR?

That's what I started thinking...

#14332 3 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

EXACTLY this! Gappa angry is one of the best modes in pinball history.

Every time I get to Gappa Angry I brick every shot until I drain. Arrrrgh! One of these days I'll actually progress in the damn thing!

#14333 3 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

There is a private message feature that would probably be a better fit for your blossoming bromance.

You're right. Top Gun would be lame. Let's get back to talking about more terrible heavy metal band possibilities like Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Ozzie, etc

#14334 3 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Yep. That was my interpretation as well. I’m rusty but lived in Japan (Kyushu) for two years and minored in Japanese in college. Kanji is tougher for me to read now but Hiragana and Katakana I can still read no problem so I can read the clues Stern is dropping as well. All signs point to Godzilla.
Did you live in Japan? Just curious how you learned it and if you still use it at all in your job, etc? I don’t and unfortunately don’t get a chance to use it much.

Nippon is an awesome place where I’ve lived and done business for over 30 years. Headed up a nutraceuticals company as the shacho. Much of the time I haven’t spoken my first language English lol, so not rusty. Can’t wait for a ToHo Godzilla machine. LE here we come! 3rd reptile machine I’m buying. (First JP2, second TMNT, third Zilla!)

#14335 3 years ago

Yeah hoping Lyman is on code and agree completely with @Cooked71, Munsters assets were “crimminally underused” by Dwight.

#14336 3 years ago

I had a game where I completed GAPPA six ball twice! Completed directors cut Twice and completed everything else in the game as well as sold the house. Score was about 3.6 Billion. Havnt got close since! Wild game. Probably the best game of pinball I ever played.

Quoted from PinsOnly:

Every time I get to Gappa Angry I brick every shot until I drain. Arrrrgh! One of these days I'll actually progress in the damn thing!

#14337 3 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

I had a game where I completed GAPPA six ball twice! Completed directors cut Twice and completed everything else in the game as well as sold the house. Score was about 3.6 Billion. Havnt got close since! Wild game. Probably the best game of pinball I ever played.

That must have been awesome. I really love that game. I would really like to see Godzilla.

#14338 3 years ago
Quoted from oneballjab:

100% agree.
If Lyman is on this and gives it his magic touch, with the same level of theme integration and attention to detail as BM66, then it could really be a fantastically fun game.

Keith writes his own rules so he doesn’t need Lyman......

#14339 3 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

You're right. Top Gun would be lame. Let's get back to talking about more terrible heavy metal band possibilities like Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Ozzie, etc

I agree. Every time I play pinball I think how great it would be to fly and F-22... In fact I have never played a game of pinball listing to that horrible rock and roll music...Those two things definitely don’t go well together.

#14340 3 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

If puzzles are your thing, the artwork

Puzzles of some backglass art are available.
https://www.pinballartusa.com/puzzle

I met this guy at TPF one year. Really nice fellow.

#14341 3 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Keith writes his own rules so he doesn’t need Lyman...

Keith doesn’t write the code. Lyman, Tim, and RayDay are all coders and great players.

#14342 3 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Keith doesn’t write the code. Lyman, Tim, and RayDay are all coders and great players.

He designs the rules or at least the overall framework and then has a coder implement it. Lyman designs rules AND implements it. Though all lead software guys delegate stuff to others.

I like the Elwin approach, as far as I understand it.

#14343 3 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

He designs the rules or at least the overall framework and then has a coder implement it. Lyman designs rules AND implements it. Though all lead software guys delegate stuff to others.
I like the Elwin approach, as far as I understand it.

He’s definitely proven himself with rules and design, but he hasn’t yet made a game that makes good use of the theme and assets. No way I’m buying Godzilla with Stern generic cgi animations like Deadpool/JP/AIQ/TMNT etc etc. I want clever and humorous integration of Godzilla footage and sounds, combined with good gameplay and rules. That’s why I’m curious who else is working with him on code for Godzilla.

#14344 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

has anyone mentioned the puzzles will likely be LE’s? They might as well number them (say 300) and have the artist sign each. I’d likely spend $50 for one, delivered. How much would you spend?

zero.point.zero.gifzero.point.zero.gif
#14345 3 years ago

Keith doesn’t write the code.

He does write the rules. On the whiteboard. For another programmer, wich is not Lyman because that would make no sense/ be a waste, to programm it.

#14346 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Stern generic cgi animations like Deadpool/JP/AIQ/TMNT etc

Theme integration definitely doesnt seem to necessarily be a huge concern of stern, which seems strange considering their reliance on theme to sell machines. I do think that Deadpool and TMNT are done well and I, personally, like the way JP makes me feel like I'm in Jurassic Park rather than playing Jurassic Park but I understand people's concerns with it.

#14347 3 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:Keith writes his own rules so he doesn’t need Lyman......

Do you have any predictions for 2021? You were spot on for 2020. Only one you mentioned we didn’t see yet was Bond.

#14348 3 years ago

Puzzles of some backglass art are available.
https://www.pinballartusa.com/puzzle
I met this guy at TPF one year. Really nice fellow.

Awesome stuff but pricey.

#14349 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

He’s definitely proven himself with rules and design, but he hasn’t yet made a game that makes good use of the theme and assets. No way I’m buying Godzilla with Stern generic cgi animations like Deadpool/JP/AIQ/TMNT etc etc. I want clever and humorous integration of Godzilla footage and sounds, combined with good gameplay and rules. That’s why I’m curious who else is working with him on code for Godzilla.

It’s an intentional choice by Keith, is my understanding. He’s got a rough budget to work within and can spend that budget on licensed material like real actor callouts/movie footage, or he can use Stern created footage and have a dinosaur mech above the left ramp with the money saved.
Some people prefer more licensed material and less on the playfield.

And yes, he’s very much responsible for the code despite not being listed as the coder.

#14350 3 years ago

So any guesses on the next Stern Puzzle?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, VT
Machine - For Sale
Modesto, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

8,099 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 54.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 47,063 posts in this topic. You are on page 287 of 942.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine/page/287?hl=utesichiban and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.