enjoy your balls.gif
balls...gif
balls..gif
IMG_4484 (resized).jpeg
Disney boy Seth Davis (resized).jpeg
Backinblack (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 46,144 posts in this topic. You are on page 270 of 923.
#13451 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

This seems unrealistically high.
There are 261 weekdays in a year. Take out 21 to account for 21 days of holiday period and that leaves an even 240 working weekdays. Stern builds 50-70 pins a day. It was less during COVID until they got the line figured out, but they're back around 50 from what I've heard.
If you take 50/day as a consistent average, that's 12k pins a year. 60 would be 14.4k pins a year. Balls to the wall 70/day would be 16.8k a year. 20k isn't happening unless there's weekend work.

I thought I heard they were running two shifts? Two 8 hours shifts would be 480 working weekdays.

#13452 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

I thought I heard they were running two shifts? Two 8 hours shifts would be 480 working weekdays.

Whatever the details of HOW they got to 50-70/day, the number remains the same. It wasn't output per shift, but per day.

#13453 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I have not heard that. Maybe possible, I dunno. But 100/day is one pin every ~5 minutes. 50/day is one every ~10 minutes, and THAT seems like a lot.

I could be totally wrong. That does seem like a crazy amount of output. How did the old pinball manufacturers do it?

#13454 3 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

I could be totally wrong. That does seem like a crazy amount of output. How did the old pinball manufacturers do it?

Huge factories.

#13455 3 years ago
Quoted from Quicksilver1:

It's been a cool minute since we've had anything hockey related in the pinball world. Anyone else think Slap Shot would be a worthy title, or would a 1977 hockey movie theme be lost on today's consumers?
[quoted image]

The Hanson’s. Love this movie!

#13456 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

This seems unrealistically high.
There are 261 weekdays in a year. Take out 21 to account for 21 days of holiday period and that leaves an even 240 working weekdays. Stern builds 50-70 pins a day. It was less during COVID until they got the line figured out, but they're back around 50 from what I've heard.
If you take 50/day as a consistent average, that's 12k pins a year. 60 would be 14.4k pins a year. Balls to the wall 70/day would be 16.8k a year. 20k isn't happening unless there's weekend work.

Gary recently said they are up to 75 machines a day now.

#13457 3 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Gary recently said they are up to 75 machines a day now.

I doubt that's their average over the whole year, more like their peak periods. But even if it was, that's ~18k max.

Thanks for that number, though. Do you know where he said it?

#13458 3 years ago

You say shark, I say Jaws was never my scene and I don’t like Star Wars.

#13460 3 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

I just turned 50 and like all of those and people in there 40’s like it amd so do my kids, so more like 40’s is the target young man. Now get off of my lawn!

You re right. 80s movies never make good pinball machines. BTW Anyone know where I can find a Ghostbusters Premium?? You couldn't give anyway elvira or zepplin. Two hottest new games are GnR and Alien. Do you see a common denominator? Go work on your landscaping lol.

#13461 3 years ago
Quoted from Stormfront:

You guys are really hung up on band-oriented pins..
What about something else pop-culture oriented?
Say.... a Dungeons and Dragon's pin?

Screenshot_20210212-080130_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210212-080130_Chrome (resized).jpg
#13462 3 years ago

All these band pins, how about this one?

MV (resized).jpgMV (resized).jpg
#13463 3 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

[quoted image]

The game just LOOKS like you are playing well. Its actually playing by itself

#13464 3 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

[quoted image]

Technically, Milli Vanilli should be Virtual Pinball only.

#13465 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I have not heard that. Maybe possible, I dunno. But 100/day is one pin every ~5 minutes. 50/day is one every ~10 minutes, and THAT seems like a lot.

Gary recently said on podcast that current production is around 75 per day. Back when Covid lockdowns started they were less than 50.

Prior to Covid it was around 100.

#13466 3 years ago
Quoted from Prince66cali: You couldn't give anyway elvira or zepplin. Two hottest new games are GnR and Alien.

Either I’m getting smarter or the people around here are getting dumber. I’m pretty sure it’s the latter.

#13467 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Either I’m getting smarter or the people around here are getting dumber. I’m pretty sure it’s the latter.

There is a difference between autocorrect and intelligence. Maybe you dont think GnR and Alien are the two hottest games right now. Which is it?

#13468 3 years ago
Quoted from Prince66cali:

There is a difference between autocorrect and intelligence. Maybe you dont think GnR and Alien are the two hottest games right now. Which is it?

GnR is definitely hot, but if you were trying to say they can’t give away Elvira or Zeppelin, well that is just laughable. You can’t find an EHOH right now and Stern just raised the price on them, you don’t do that unless they’re selling like crazy(JJP GnR). Also everything I’ve heard is that Zep is selling really well.

#13469 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

GnR is definitely hot, but if you were trying to say they can’t give away Elvira or Zeppelin, well that is just laughable. You can’t find an EHOH right now and Stern just raised the price on them, you don’t do that unless they’re selling like crazy(JJP GnR). Also everything I’ve heard is that Zep is selling really well.

I appreciate your understanding on the autocorrect, it happens. GnR sales will top both of those combined, plus there will be a ROI similar to POTC. If Stern wants to up their game, make Goonies, which is an 80s cult classic like GnR or Alien and see what happens. You know, us Xennials are doing quite well in business these days. #TheTakeover, #FightOn, #LetsGoChamp

#13470 3 years ago

I appreciate your understanding on the autocorrect, it happens. GnR sales will top both of those combined, plus there will be a ROI similar to POTC. If Stern wants to up their game, make Goonies, which is an 80s cult classic like GnR or Alien and see what happens. You know, us Xennials are doing quite well in business these days. #TheTakeover, #FightOn, #LetsGoChamp

Haha, no problem, it happens. I’ll disagree with you on the combined sales, not that it couldn’t. I just don’t think JJP is currently capable of producing those kind of numbers.

#13471 3 years ago

Back on topic, I’d like to see a slasher type pin next. Maybe Halloween or Friday the 13th.

#13472 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Back on topic, I’d like to see a slasher type pin next. Maybe Halloween or Friday the 13th.

For sure. No worries. I'd just like to see Stern get back on track with something cool.

#13473 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Gary recently said on podcast that current production is around 75 per day. Back when Covid lockdowns started they were less than 50.
Prior to Covid it was around 100.

I do believe Gary inflates these numbers. Keep in mind if they're averaging a 100 machines a day, here's the math of Sterns top line revenue. 52 weeks a year, multiply that by 5 days a week=260 total days. That means they'd be making 26,000 machines a year at an average sale price (rounding down to $5,000)=top line revenue at Stern of $130,000,000.

I'm going to share with you some numbers from 2019, keep in mind this is not 2020 numbers so sales could be up but I doubt top line revenue is up more than 20%.

Stern took out a PPP loan in 2020 that would have been off of 2019 payroll number. Their loan was $1,850,000. This would have been for 2.5 times of average monthly payroll (1,850,000 divided by 2.5)=monthly payroll of $740,000.

Then take the $740,000 and multiply it by 12 months so you'll get annual payroll of $8,800,000. Keep in mind this should include benefits (401k) because Illinois is a state that requires 401k for employers that have over 25 employees. Granted Stern doesn't have to match anything in the 401k but I doubt they wouldn't. In this case, let's just assume they don't so annual payroll expenses will remain at the $8,800,000.

Most manufacturing run around 30-40% of payroll expenses. I have to assume making pinball is very manual so this would drive up the number. If we went in the middle at 35% (you take the 8,800,000 divided by 35%)=top line revenue around 25,000,000. If you're at the low end of 30% expenses it puts it around a 30,000,000. Far less than a 130,000,000.

#13474 3 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

I do believe Gary inflates these numbers. Keep in mind if they're averaging a 100 machines a day, here's the math of Sterns top line revenue. 52 weeks a year, multiply that by 5 days a week=260 total days. That means they'd be making 26,000 machines a year at an average sale price (rounding down to $5,000)=top line revenue at Stern of $130,000,000.
I'm going to share with you some numbers from 2019, keep in mind this is not 2020 numbers so sales could be up but I doubt top line revenue is up more than 20%.
Stern took out a PPP loan in 2020 that would have been off of 2019 payroll number. Their loan was $1,850,000. This would have been for 2.5 times of average monthly payroll (1,850,000 divided by 2.5)=monthly payroll of $740,000.
Then take the $740,000 and multiply it by 12 months so you'll get annual payroll of $8,800,000. Keep in mind this should include benefits (401k) because Illinois is a state that requires 401k for employers that have over 25 employees. Granted Stern doesn't have to match anything in the 401k but I doubt they wouldn't. In this case, let's just assume they don't so annual payroll expenses will remain at the $8,800,000.
Most manufacturing run around 30-40% of payroll expenses. I have to assume making pinball is very manual so this would drive up the number. If we went in the middle at 35% (you take the 8,800,000 divided by 35%)=top line revenue around 25,000,000. If you're at the low end of 30% expenses it puts it around a 30,000,000. Far less than a 130,000,000.

Seriously, who cares. They make more games than anyone period.
That required way too much effort for me to read.

#13475 3 years ago

Your wrong on the ROI viewpoint.

There is only one reason POTC is where it is and that is it’s limited nature. 150 SE, 650 LE and 250 CE and many of these are abroad.

With GNR slated to have 5,000 LE and however many of the SE, these will be plentiful within a year or so.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#13476 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Your wrong on the ROI viewpoint.
There is only one reason POTC is where it is and that is it’s limited nature. 150 SE, 650 LE and 250 CE and many of these are abroad.
With GNR slated to have 5,000 LE and however many of the SE, these will be plentiful within a year or so.

JJP has stopped selling the SE for now. GnR will hold its value. Stern has over sold Star Wars to say the least. Probably to cover the other titles. Goonies if done right would make money.

#13477 3 years ago

JJP has stopped selling the SE for now. GnR will hold its value. Stern has over sold Star Wars to say the least. Probably to cover the other titles. Goonies if done right would make money.

They stopped to get caught up on LE production.

Only issue with Goonies is apparently Deeproot has the license so I don’t see Stern making this although I wish they would.

#13478 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Seriously, who cares. They make more games than anyone period.

You may not be interested in this kind of speculation but some people are. Is it accurate? No idea. We're in a thread entirely devoted to speculation relating to stern though, so it seems appropriate to me.

#13479 3 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

You may not be interested in this kind of speculation but some people are. Is it accurate? No idea. We're in a thread entirely devoted to speculation relating to stern though, so it seems appropriate to me.

It’s speculation about the next game title not the finances of the company.

Anyone can spew out a bunch of numbers but I think that post was so deep into the weeds with a bunch of incorrect data.

The whole math problem is off by the third sentence because it’s widely known they don’t produce games 52 weeks a year or 260 production days annually.

#13480 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

They stopped to get caught up on LE production.
Only issue with Goonies is apparently Deeproot has the license so I don’t see Stern making this although I wish they would.

Im guessing they will move on from GnR after they finish the LEs. Besides GnR has a much larger base than POTC. We ll see. Stern should purchase it. Not sure a smaller company has the capacity to handle the Goonies title. Unfortunately, similar to the Alien situation. Again, we ll see.

#13481 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Anyone can spew out a bunch of numbers but I think that post was so deep into the weeds with a bunch of incorrect data.
The whole math problem is off by the third sentence because it’s widely known they don’t produce games 52 weeks a year or 260 production days annually.

It should be fairly accurate. The math isn't complicated at all. There's a few variables but the payroll number (expense) is a hard number that you can back into the rest very easily.

#13482 3 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

PPP loans are for more then just labor. It’s for all expenses rent/mortgage utilities and labor.

#13483 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Well it actually seems to be more about speculating about what would make a good theme, or what people would like to see, not necessarily just what Stern is actually doing.

Either way, if someone shares analysis or perspective that you have no interest in, just skip over it and move on to the next post.

#13484 3 years ago
Quoted from V8haha:

PPP loans are for more then just labor. It’s for all expenses rent/mortgage utilities and labor.

You are somewhat correct. You can use the proceeds to pay for rent, utilities/etc. For the loan to be 100% forgiven the company had to use 60% of the proceeds towards payroll and the other 40% could be used for what you mention above. But the calculation to determine how much of a PPP loan you received was strictly off of monthly payroll with benefits.

#13485 3 years ago

you guys are heated today. i like it.

now let's focus that energy on a Pulp Fiction pin (since 80s movies make terrible pins we must move to the 90s).

#13486 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I doubt that's their average over the whole year, more like their peak periods. But even if it was, that's ~18k max.
Thanks for that number, though. Do you know where he said it?

He said it in an interview. Sorry don’t remember which one for sure. May have been super awesome pinball show. He was talking how behind they were and that they had ramped up the lines to consistently do 75 a day to catch up. It sounded like they are doing that number going forward.

#13487 3 years ago

How about an American Gladiators?

C3678314-7D0A-418B-A449-C8F3207FC30B (resized).jpegC3678314-7D0A-418B-A449-C8F3207FC30B (resized).jpeg
#13488 3 years ago
Quoted from Quicksilver1:

It's been a cool minute since we've had anything hockey related in the pinball world. Anyone else think Slap Shot would be a worthy title, or would a 1977 hockey movie theme be lost on today's consumers?

I'm always shocked there wasn't an NHL pin, but perhaps the license fees are just way too high

#13489 3 years ago
Quoted from V8haha:

The bigger issue has been the unemployment "bump." Hourly workers make more on unemployment. You have to pro

Quoted from RikeIsland:

How about an American Gladiators?
[quoted image]

That turned into Rollergames.

#13490 3 years ago

My god man do you not understand how much of an impact canning an actor mid-run has? This wasn't some decision taken lightly, your summary is wrong, and we don't need politics OR lying in this thread. This thread is about making people angry by suggesting that we make pins about cheesy 40 year old franchises we half-remember. Now if you'll excuse me it's time to give a passionate defense about why the time is right for a Cannonball Run pinball machine featuring a holographic Burt Reynolds

#13491 3 years ago
Quoted from greenstreet:

you guys are heated today. i like it.
now let's focus that energy on a Pulp Fiction pin (since 80s movies make terrible pins we must move to the 90s).

Pulp Fiction would sell like crazy, I think more than any other Tarantino theme.

#13492 3 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Pulp Fiction would sell like crazy, I think more than any other Tarantino theme.

Reservoir Pups would sell more.

#13493 3 years ago

The Matrix
The Crow
Evil Dead, Army of Darkness, anything Bruce Campbell
The Boondock Saints
Gone in 60 Seconds

#13494 3 years ago

Evil Dead Army of Darkness is my number one dream theme. Bruce Campbell is made for pinball callouts. Would be a RIOT...I’d throw down for an LE sight unseen.

Quoted from Tiki-Ed:

The Matrix
The Crow
Evil Dead, Army of Darkness, anything Bruce Campbell
The Boondock Saints
Gone in 60 Seconds

#13496 3 years ago

GTFOH with this shit. Pinball.

#13497 3 years ago

here's a thought: pick a theme that would best penetrate a robust international market. Like, a theme that isn't focused on primarily selling pins to Americans. So, no 20th century American pop films films or boomer/genx rock bands.

League Of Legends
Super Mario
World Of Warcraft
(so many videogame themes)
BTS (biggest popstars on the globe)
Jackie Chan (a career retrospective?)

like, just imagine if South Korea or India developed an affection for pinball equivalent to that of American consumers? Would revolutionize things.

#13498 3 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

I'm always shocked there wasn't an NHL pin, but perhaps the license fees are just way too high

I feel like there probably isn't enough widespread appeal to sell an NHL pin. But I could see it being cool if they did. I picture it as a Steve Ritchie game.

#13499 3 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

here's a thought: pick a theme that would best penetrate a robust international market. Like, a theme that isn't focused on primarily selling pins to Americans. So, no 20th century American pop films films or boomer/genx rock bands.
League Of Legends
Super Mario
World Of Warcraft
(so many videogame themes)
BTS (biggest popstars on the globe)
Jackie Chan (a career retrospective?)
like, just imagine if South Korea or India developed an affection for pinball equivalent to that of American consumers? Would revolutionize things.

Im 39, my gf 37 and my son is 7. Mario seems like a no brainer. Have you seen the new Super Mario World they built. Pretty amazing. I have no clue who BTS is. I will guess from context a Kpop group?
Omg Drunken Master....collect those bottles lol

#13500 3 years ago

Moderator's comment:

Any further political comments will result in immediate thread ejections.

Please try to stick to pinball, folks--thanks

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades
Toys/Add-ons
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 17.50
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts
Toys/Add-ons
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jacksonville, FL
$ 8,600.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place
Pinball Machine
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 9,799.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona
Pinball Machine
11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Cruz, CA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
There are 46,144 posts in this topic. You are on page 270 of 923.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine/page/270?hl=beergut666 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.