IMG_2567 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8131 (resized).jpeg
20240308_135657.jpg
IMG_1602 (resized).jpeg
D&D (resized).jpg
260213d5-b8e5-468d-9762-eeace7ec42d7-large16x9_theboys (resized).jpg
DD07E6EC-DE18-4AF9-A58D-271B4EE2AAC5.gif

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 45,816 posts in this topic. You are on page 264 of 917.
#13151 3 years ago
Quoted from waltgman:

What exactly was said?
Was this really confirmed? I want to know if I need to start selling stuff

It could be easily a year + away before it is announced. Remember with Stern, it will be in production for 3 years +. So unless you want the LE, why be a Guinea pig getting the first ones off the line?

#13152 3 years ago

I just prefer the dude in a rubber suit. I’m not a fan of CGI even when it’s well done. There is something magical about live practical effects on film and it’s sad that all of the work and craftsmanship involved has become a lost art.

Quoted from bloodydrake:

i don't' know in what world that trailer looks like garbage to anyone that's a fan of giant monster movies..but OK.
I do agree it definitively doesn't look like a dude in a rubber costume , but to me it looks to be the best of the new movies.

#13153 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

It could be easily a year + away before it is announced. Remember with Stern, it will be in production for 3 years +. So unless you want the LE, why be a Guinea pig getting the first ones off the line?

Agreed! but on this one I will shoot for the LE!

#13154 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Seemed pretty obvious it was coming, but sucks JJP didn't get it. I just pray Stern doesn't Led Zeppelin it. The license demands a substantial amount of interactive toys and a strong world under glass vibe. I'm just not sure the bean counters at Stern will allow it.

I couldn't care less about Harry Potter, but I can appreciate wanting that license to go to JJP over Stern. I dropped my Zep LE order when I saw rules and gameplay. It's probably a great league pin though.

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 9.14.47 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-01-26 at 9.14.47 AM (resized).png

#13155 3 years ago
Quoted from bloodydrake:

i don't' know in what world that trailer looks like garbage to anyone that's a fan of giant monster movies..but OK.
I do agree it definitively doesn't look like a dude in a rubber costume , but to me it looks to be the best of the new movies.

UFC monster version will be entertaining but honestly how does Godzilla loose a fight when he can shoot fire out of his mouth? I get that King Kong has him beat in the brains department but still. Fire would win in reality.

#13156 3 years ago
Quoted from Snotdoc:

how does Godzilla loose a fight when he can shoot fire out of his mouth? I get that King Kong has him beat in the brains department but still. Fire would win in reality.

Kong uses tools. Kong known humans. Kong sized bazooka? Giant Aliens style mech suit? Lol.
For real though, based on the trailer clips it looks like Kong scores some kind of radiation absorbing weapon from the center of the Earth. Smash Godzilla with his own powers? I honestly think it's in Godzilla's contract that he cant lose though. Hes a national icon. We will see Kong and Godzilla team up by the end of the movie. Kong will go back to Skull Island to heal. Godzilla will dive back into the depths of whatever ocean they are closest to. Just because itll be predictable doesnt mean it wont be enjoyable. Covid has me craving cheesy blockbuster movies anyway. End rant.

#13157 3 years ago
Quoted from bloodydrake:

I dare to say it doesn't matter wich license get's used if the artist is allowed some artistic freedom with the playfield/ cabinet art.

Display would be different of course, but if you go the Jurassic Park route and model the monster stuff yourself, Toho/ Warner would get pretty indistinguishable.

#13158 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Kong uses tools. Kong known humans. Kong sized bazooka? Giant Aliens style mech suit? Lol.
For real though, based on the trailer clips it looks like Kong scores some kind of radiation absorbing weapon from the center of the Earth. Smash Godzilla with his own powers?

It’s a quick look but the axe he has looks like it’s made from one of Godzilla’s back fins. Which would explain how it blocks the breath.

#13159 3 years ago

I hope they don’t animate it themselves. The JP animations are not great, that’s why everyone uses the hacked film code. Classic TOHO Godzilla with original footage would be amazing IMO

Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I dare to say it doesn't matter wich license get's used if the artist is allowed some artistic freedom with the playfield/ cabinet art.
Display would be different of course, but if you go the Jurassic Park route and model the monster stuff yourself, Toho/ Warner would get pretty indistinguishable.

#13160 3 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

I just prefer the dude in a rubber suit. I’m not a fan of CGI even when it’s well done. There is something magical about live practical effects on film and it’s sad that all of the work and craftsmanship involved has become a lost art.

nah its totally coming around .. what use to be 'we can do this in post with cgi" is over..watch the series of documentaries about the filming of the Mandalorian and the blending of cg and practical effects.. in "The Volume"
Its the future of film making .. practical is irreplaceable for certain things.

shows alot
the disney gallery mandalorian series episode 5 is called practical and its all about bringing back practical effects

#13161 3 years ago
Quoted from Snotdoc:

UFC monster version will be entertaining but honestly how does Godzilla loose a fight when he can shoot fire out of his mouth? I get that King Kong has him beat in the brains department but still. Fire would win in reality.

Reality has no place in a discussion about Godzilla and King Kong

#13162 3 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

I hope they don’t animate it themselves. The JP animations are not great, that’s why everyone uses the hacked film code. Classic TOHO Godzilla with original footage would be amazing IMO

Except the actual amount of Godzilla vs monster on screen time is very low in each film of the Showa era. There are not 1000s of minutes of assets like with Elvira or Batman 66. I'm just hoping someone with a strong creative vision and a love for Godzilla was in charge of this project to assess these choices. I'm buying it either way!

#13163 3 years ago

I had suggested an idea to Gomez awhile back that I really liked, unfortunately he said no way.

Take the stern music licenses they currently own, and make a battle of the bands machine. Metallica vs Kiss multiball etc. etc.

Oh, well. I'm in for BTTF if it comes out.

#13164 3 years ago

Harry Potter should be a widebody JJP .Jaws seems to be the Pinside favorite .I hope sterns next is a Culture Club pin with only 4 bash toys you have to hit enough times to get the music to stop .

#13165 3 years ago

Kidding aside Mandolorian would be great .

#13166 3 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

I hope sterns next is a Culture Club pin with only 4 bash toys you have to hit enough times to get the music to stop .

LMFAO!

#13167 3 years ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

Sounds like Harry Potter is now CONFIRMED based on the Roger Sharpe interview on the super awesome pinball show.
Who’s in for an LE??

Yes, please! snape approval (resized).pngsnape approval (resized).png

#13168 3 years ago
Quoted from bloodydrake:

nah its totally coming around .. what use to be 'we can do this in post with cgi" is over..watch the series of documentaries about the filming of the Mandalorian and the blending of cg and practical effects.. in "The Volume"
Its the future of film making .. practical is irreplaceable for certain things. shows alot
the disney gallery mandalorian series episode 5 is called practical and its all about bringing back practical effects

Lol, now I know why it looks so cheesy! Old is new and higher priced!

#13169 3 years ago

Jonny Quest( original 1964 version) was made for pinball.....the best villains, coolest gadgets that were before their time back in 1964, incredible theme song/ multi ball music. Hanna B cannot be an expensive license to acquire. George G, you KNOW I am right on this one....admit it and then make it! If you intro Scooby Doo before Jonny Q ( hey that rhymes!) , you’re crazy. If anyone reading this has no clue what I’m talking about, go look up the original...not the later version and join the movement !

39EFE7EC-A08A-4C1D-A042-6F6F1ED2C638 (resized).png39EFE7EC-A08A-4C1D-A042-6F6F1ED2C638 (resized).png
#13170 3 years ago

Harry Pooper is old news. At least it's not 80s.

#13171 3 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Harry Pooper is old news. At least it's not 80s.

He said right after the suggestion of Jonny Quest (1964 version).

#13172 3 years ago

Quoted from Kkoss24:

I hope sterns next is a Culture Club pin with only 4 bash toys you have to hit enough times to get the music to stop .

#13173 3 years ago

If it ever happens, Harry Potter will be a high cost, high restriction license.

This combined with Stern is a recipe for high disappointment.

#13174 3 years ago

Harry Potter themed pin is doomed from the start. There's no way it could live up to anyone's expectations, no matter who the manufacturer is.

#13175 3 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

Jonny Quest( original 1964 version) was made for pinball.....the best villains, coolest gadgets that were before their time back in 1964, incredible theme song/ multi ball music. Hanna B cannot be an expensive license to acquire. George G, you KNOW I am right on this one....admit it and then make it! If you intro Scooby Doo before Jonny Q ( hey that rhymes!) , you’re crazy. If anyone reading this has no clue what I’m talking about, go look up the original...not the later version and join the movement !
[quoted image]

This is right on the money and would be an instant buy for many. What an awesome theme and series to take content from. Right down pinball alley and would be widely enjoyed by all ages.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#13176 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Couldn’t agree more. This will be disappointing as Star Wars, no matter who makes the machine, because no one can top consumer expectations and imaginations of what could or should be Harry Potter. Pricing will be over the top to compensate. $15k Elvia sig edition comes to mind. Get a 1mm by 1mm piece of Harry Potter’s cape, as the bonus for an extra $5k, lol.

(SW comic package is very good indeed! I like it better than my LE, but the gameplay/software is awesome on SW, just that left out lane issue, going straight from LCD targets to left outlane on hard plunged, not good geometry)

#13177 3 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Couldn’t agree more. This will be disappointing as Star Wars, no matter who makes the machine, because no one can top consumer expectations and imaginations of what could or should be Harry Potter. Pricing will be over the top to compensate. $15k Elvia sig edition comes to mind. Get a 1mm by 1mm piece of Harry Potter’s cape, as the bonus for an extra $5k, lol.

SW was pretty disappointing at release; pretty freaking awesome now, though.

#13178 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

SW was pretty disappointing at release; pretty freaking awesome now, though.

Still, looking at what the bean counters removed from SW is a bummer. Same thing for Elvira. Nordman's original design is much better.

#13179 3 years ago

Scattered Harry Potter thoughts on a Wednesday morning

1) If they base it off of the books/wizarding world - Stern could potentially keep costs down to do their traditional Pro/Prem/LE model. The license may be expensive, but I haven't heard of HP being notoriously restrictive or difficult to work with. Books give you much more freedom, Warner Bros isn't in the picture, and you don't have to pay for expensive clips.

2) I would absolutely love the movie actors voices in this game. Picture a hand drawn style based on the book art and then get a few of the main characters to do voice work for the game. Could be a creative way to capture the magic while again working to keep costs down.

3) As a massive Harry Potter fan, I don't think Stern will deliver a WOZ or GNR atmosphere under the glass that it deserves. This sucks, but if it's a homerun theme with great rules and fun layout, that's all it will need to be a monster success. Hell, it will sell decent on theme alone, so most will settle for 2 of the 3.

4) I have no clue if they should do 1 machine, 3, 7... My gut tells me do 1 and just name it The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Or do a spinoff called "Harry Potter's Pinball Adventure" even though I know a lot of fans would throw up on that idea. The LEGO games did two, one for years 1-4 and then 5-7. I kind of like this idea, but it would come down to how Stern executes it. Unveil game 1 and tease game two coming in 18 months, or something to that effect?

IDK, I've rambled on enough.

#13180 3 years ago

I'd think a machine based on the HP world, without neccessarily following the movie storylines would work well. A Hogwarts machine could be amazing with the grand hall down the middle and various spell learning modes. Quidditch mini wizard modes, hat toy choosing various houses - Diagon Alley and the wand shop. Universal Studios in Orlando shows how it can be done.

#13181 3 years ago

I suggest they include a Quidditch video mode which is basically just a high definition re-make of the Johnny Mnemonic video mode. The ridiculousness of that video mode would capture the essence of Quidditch perfectly!

#13182 3 years ago
Quoted from Dogford_Studios:

I'd think a machine based on the HP world, without neccessarily following the movie storylines would work well. A Hogwarts machine could be amazing with the grand hall down the middle and various spell learning modes. Quidditch mini wizard modes, hat toy choosing various houses - Diagon Alley and the wand shop. Universal Studios in Orlando shows how it can be done.

This is the root I would go as well. I have envisioned doing a "Witches of Hogwart's" or "Dark Mark" or "
Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes" pinball.

The pinball machine doesn't have to be the movie. I would prefer it follows the books. Roger asked how you would get all the movies into one pin? You don't but you could get 7 books in there. 7 modes, with sub-modes just like they did with Star Trek.

#13183 3 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

I suggest they include a Quidditch video mode which is basically just a high definition re-make of the Johnny Mnemonic video mode. The ridiculousness of that video mode would capture the essence of Quidditch perfectly!

It‘s actually more of a game then most video modes and Strrn would never do it, since you‘d need 4 buttons!

#13184 3 years ago

BTTF, John Wick, Fast & Furious, Mandalorian, Predator, Running Man and I’m in! Anything else if it’s not Elwin it’s probably not going to interest me enough to buy.

#13185 3 years ago

It’s definitely not the next stern pin but with Avatar 2 coming out in 2022 and Avatar 3 in 2024 I sure hope Stern or JJP revisits this franchise and gives it the pin it deserves.

#13186 3 years ago

They should do first title only, Sorcerers Stone. Go with the movie poster for the back glass. Give it a Lord of the Rings look.

Hit start...

“You’re a wizard Harry”

57835768-7FB8-40D6-BC23-686E81183611 (resized).jpeg57835768-7FB8-40D6-BC23-686E81183611 (resized).jpeg

#13187 3 years ago
Quoted from PinPickle:

It’s definitely not the next stern pin but with Avatar 2 coming out in 2022 and Avatar 3 in 2024 I sure hope Stern or JJP revisits this franchise and gives it the pin it deserves.

Worthless boring special effects movie no thanks

#13188 3 years ago

War of the worlds ,Titanic , Deslicable Me , Troy , Gladiator , Motley Crue , just to name some that I never see brought up .People rip the Crue but really there’s no better music for a pin and as far as material to incorporate into this theme it’s second to none as far as band pins go .

#13189 3 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

War of the worlds ,Titanic , Deslicable Me , Troy , Gladiator , Motley Crue , just to name some that I never see brought up .People rip the Crue but really there’s no better music for a pin and as far as material to incorporate into this theme it’s second to none as far as band pins go .

Motley Crue and Andrew W.K. (who loves pinball) would be amazing!

#13190 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

The only saving grace is that the Harry Potter team has worked extensively in licensing their product for consumer goods. The areas that they created at Universal Studios are pretty awesome. So there is a track record of successful collaboration.

Now.... the cost of the license.... you'd suspect that it be up there with Star Wars and Toy Story (or more).

#13191 3 years ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

Motley Crue and Andrew W.K. (who loves pinball) would be amazing!

Haha I think I would be one of like five people who would be in on an Andrew WK pinball.

Despicable Me mentioned above just seems like a no brainer and I think would appeal to adults as much as kids. Ton of content for villians and modes, super funny and heartfelt. I'd take that over Toy Story, and I like Toy Story.

#13192 3 years ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

Now.... the cost of the license.... you'd suspect that it be up there with Star Wars and Toy Story (or more).

Toy Story licensing fee is surely quite reasonable or even low, with zero actor likenesses to consider. None of JJP games have been in the high license fee category, because of almost no assets, other than name and a few still photos. Star Wars on the other hand a different kettle of fish.

#13193 3 years ago

I want HP more than anything else. Id be fine with them using the books as a license except I want John Williams music....So I guess movies it is. I would be fine focusing on one movie and would probably go Goblet of fire or Prisoner of Azkaban. They could also just make it a mystery of hogwartz type game and have lots of stuff going on. If really based on movies Id lean towards the earlier ones which are more about magic and discovery vs people dying.

#13194 3 years ago

The sandlot with the call outs your killing smalls

#13195 3 years ago

Black Sabbath will arrive one day. Speak your feelings in this thread and let Stern know.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-sabbath-wanted/page/2#post-6106402

BLACK SABBATH Next Stern Pin!!!!

#13196 3 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Black Sabbath will arrive one day. Speak your feelings in this thread and let Stern know.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-sabbath-wanted/page/2#post-6106402
BLACK SABBATH Next Stern Pin!!!!

They're not doing two music pins in row. Next up is probably Lyman's pin, or maybe whatever Tanio's been working on when not helping out on other designer's projects. I can't imagine them unleashing the LotR Spike release when they're already behind on orders. That would bury them.

#13197 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

They're not doing two music pins in row. Next up is probably Lyman's pin, or maybe whatever Tanio's been working on when not helping out on other designer's projects. I can't imagine them unleashing the LotR Spike release when they're already behind on orders. That would bury them.

Maybe not next, but next next pin, haha. What was the deal with Jack Osbourne in Chicago?

#13198 3 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Maybe not next, but next next pin, haha. What was the deal with Jack Osbourne in Chicago?

Could be pinball related, or could be seeing specialists about his MS treatment. There are some really good MS specialists in and around Chicago.

#13199 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Reeeeeally hoping we get a Tanio/Deadpool design team pin. Personality for days.

#13200 3 years ago

I think the Mummy (1999) would be a great theme. Adventure, humor, etc.

49CBE010-FCDC-4C57-A693-F7C19E199FD6 (resized).jpeg49CBE010-FCDC-4C57-A693-F7C19E199FD6 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
There are 45,816 posts in this topic. You are on page 264 of 917.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine/page/264 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.