Nelson (resized).png
Andre (resized).png
dad_lg-min (resized).jpg
E497E3E8-872D-4DC9-B95B-17AFBD94F4D0 (resized).jpeg
23DC2D2F-A90E-4CA2-98A1-F19762374E3D (resized).jpeg
FDD39C64-5E43-4A2A-80EF-54E82F1F62E3 (resized).jpeg
Keanu (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 46,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 153 of 936.
#7601 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Actually, I really doubt that the cost of a larger ROM was really ever an issue. The cost of developing the extra speech/music/video would dwarf the couple of dollars per machine that a larger ROM would have been.
90's games were less "deep" because it was unnecessary, not because they couldn't do it.

I think the hardware max was an issue that an bigger rom may be not be much to improve.

SAM had a few differnt flash sizes for differnt games.

#7602 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Actually, I really doubt that the cost of a larger ROM was really ever an issue. The cost of developing the extra speech/music/video would dwarf the couple of dollars per machine that a larger ROM would have been.
90's games were less "deep" because it was unnecessary, not because they couldn't do it.

Another key reason why games then were less complex: the more complex you make the code (especially with things like multiple modes running at once that can interact with each other), the harder the code is to develop, the longer it takes, and the more likely it is to require post-release patches to fix bugs.

These days, it's routine for pins not only to have post-release bug fixes, but to have post-release feature implementation. That would be almost unheard-of back in the 90s, especially the early 90s, when upgrading a pin on location required swapping EPROMs.

#7603 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

The manufacturers really struggled with what they could do with the technology limitations. Compressed sound that is low quality was thing that burdened many 90’s games. Heck, even LOTR got the compression treatment and that was in the 00’s.

#7604 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

The manufacturers really struggled with what they could do with the technology limitations. Compressed sound that is low quality was thing that burdened many 90’s games. Heck, even LOTR got the compression treatment and that was in the 00’s.

also the sound just needed to be ok for an bar setting.

#7605 3 years ago
Quoted from C_S_S:

Likely not until at least June when the state lockdown expires. After that, I’m not sure where pinball manufacturing falls in our governor’s 5 phase reopening.

As close to the election as he can get it, Im sure.

#7606 3 years ago

Any pics posted of TMNT yet?

#7607 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, but Rolling Stones REALLY got screwed.

In 1980 they did ok but ......

#7608 3 years ago

Ahhh... that Zombie Yeti art on the new Megadeth pin is gonna be awesome.

#7609 3 years ago

Really curious what the internet connectivity is going to give us.

Will we be able to play head to head with some kind of camera or headphones linking games?

Stern have nailed it if they implement features like these in a fun way.

#7610 3 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Really curious what the internet connectivity is going to give us.
Will we be able to play head to head with some kind of camera or headphones linking games?
Stern have nailed it if they implement features like these in a fun way.

Careful what you wish for. I can see them moving to paywalls to get to certain features/scoring.. If you thought you were getting a pin from Stern that had incomplete code before, just wait until you have to add money, to complete/finish the actual game...

#7611 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Careful what you wish for. I can see them moving to paywalls to get to certain features/scoring.. If you thought you were getting an pin from Stern that had incomplete code before, just wait until you have to add money, to complete the actual game...

Ah, the EA/Ubisoft model.

#7612 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Careful what you wish for. I can see them moving to paywalls to get to certain features/scoring.. If you thought you were getting an pin from Stern that had incomplete code before, just wait until you have to add money, to complete the actual game...

In the old days, you could buy a golden tee for home and it was no different then the arcade version. Then the golden tee fore came along. You could play all the courses but not the tournament. Now golden tee live comes out and if you want access to everything it's a monthly fee...and you still cant play in money tournaments.
I could very well see something like this in the future.

#7613 3 years ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

In the old days, you could buy a golden tee for home and it was no different then the arcade version. Then the golden tee fore came along. You could play all the courses but not the tournament. Now golden tee live comes out and if you want access to everything it's a monthly fee...and you still cant play in money tournaments.
I could very well see something like this in the future.

I think it's free if you use your own network and not the cell link.
But IT games takes fees per game on line + big yearly software update fees and you need to change the pic as well.

#7614 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Careful what you wish for. I can see them moving to paywalls to get to certain features/scoring.. If you thought you were getting a pin from Stern that had incomplete code before, just wait until you have to add money, to complete/finish the actual game...

Ah yes ... the ol' Bonus Plan: Now when we bend over the machine to play, they bonus.

#7615 3 years ago
Quoted from TheRudyB:

Ah yes ... the ol' Bonus Plan: Now when we bend over the machine to play, they bonus.

I see what you did there!

#7616 3 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

I think it's free if you use your own network and not the cell link.
But IT games takes fees per game on line + big yearly software update fees and you need to change the pic as well.

If you use their network with the built in wifi its $15 a month. That's in a commercial location. We do give them a cut of every online game played whether its tournament or money games. As a player in your home you pay them a fee and you can participate in non cash online games for ranking. If you dont pay that fee you can just play the courses. You cant keep stats or use any clubs or balls you might have on your player card.

#7617 3 years ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

If you use their network with the built in wifi its $15 a month. That's in a commercial location. We do give them a cut of every online game played whether its tournament or money games. As a player in your home you pay them a fee and you can participate in non cash online games for ranking. If you dont pay that fee you can just play the courses. You cant keep stats or use any clubs or balls you might have on your player card.

not wifi but cell.

Home is monthly or yearly and that yearly does not give you the yearly updates (that is it's own fee)

#7618 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I see what you did there!

You'll use it.

#7619 3 years ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

Yeah cell service. That's what I meant. I never did the home model set up. I couldn't tell you fees on the monthly or yearly. I sold all my golden tees the past 2 years and am down to one. Couldn't be happier.

#7620 3 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

king (resized).jpgking (resized).jpg

#7621 3 years ago
images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg
#7622 3 years ago

Ball never leaves the shooter lane?

#7623 3 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Is that the next title? Lame

#7624 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

That deserves a round of applause.

49979487-1965-4A39-85E2-986E1D855E20.gif49979487-1965-4A39-85E2-986E1D855E20.gif
#7625 3 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

In DEM mode in GOP mode you need to put more coins in to shoot

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#7626 3 years ago

Pinside sure is boring without any new pin titles being announced and the usual discussion and banter that typically ensues!

#7627 3 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

Pinside sure is boring without any new pin titles being announced and the usual discussion and banter that typically ensues!

Go look at some of the restore threads.
Lots of really cool stuff happening there now that people have time on their hands.

#7628 3 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

Ahhh... that Zombie Yeti art on the new Megadeth pin is gonna be awesome.

Good I can get rethemed into a Motorhead pin, like Megadeth but love Motörhead.

#7629 3 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Good I can get rethemed into a Motorhead pin, like Megadeth but love Motörhead.

Must be April fools somewhere, I cant imagine a Megadeth pin would be official, I do hope I'm wrong though. Ill say it again I dont care who the artist is, when a band like Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Kiss etc etc already has built it art, I don't really want an artists interpretation, I prefer original band artwork. Vic rattlehead, Eddie, is better suited by remaining true to the album art.

#7630 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Must be April fools somewhere, I cant imagine a Megadeth pin would be official, I do hope I'm wrong though. Ill say it again I dont care who the artist is, when a band like Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Kiss etc etc already has built it art, I don't really want an artists interpretation, I prefer original band artwork. Vic rattlehead, Eddie, is better suited by remaining true to the album art.

Mustaine was never on the level of the other bands in your list. Megadeth would sell very poorly. I'd rather see Judas by far, but it wouldn't sell either.

#7631 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

LOTRs sound was more just Stern's cheapness. LOTR came out in 2003 and was essentially still using a sound system designed in the early 90s. Not only that but it was using a mediocre emulated version of said sound system. Why they didn't just redesign it when they spent all the money to get it emulated? Who knows. I don't think they got rid of it entirely until SAM came out. Meanwhile it had already been surpassed twice before the new millennium had even started by DCS and DCS2. Three times if you count Capcoms system. I don't know about everyone else but the sound on the later three still sounds pretty acceptable to me even today. The BSMT was able to limp along for a while with rom size increases. But it definitely should have been replaced by the mid to late 90s let alone the early 00s.

#7632 3 years ago

From what I see around here, I'm probably the only person who not only thinks the sound on my GNR and BW (as well as every WPC game I've ever had, for that matter) are totally acceptable, but absolutely enjoyable and charming, and part of the experience/"magic" of having them in my home. I like them as they were intended to be, I guess. And they're technically pre-whitestar, even though they are BSMT audio.

I guess if you only ever watched SD TV, you'd never know how great HD was, but I've played plenty of games with the various aftermarket sound add-ons, and I find them distracting or annoying, as I know how they are SUPPOSED to sound. Adding upgraded speakers or a sub is one thing, but changing the actual sounds and musical scores is not my cup of tea. The sounds of basically every 90's game are pretty iconic, even with their intrinsic quirkiness.

But hey, variety is the spice of life, and people are free to do with their machines as they wish.

Back to the topic...

#7633 3 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Mustaine was never on the level of the other bands in your list. Megadeth would sell very poorly.

That’s just crazy talk.

#7634 3 years ago

Megadeth would be a great choice IMO. Kick ass Vic Rattlehead artwork and kick ass tunes would make it a must buy for me. DO IT STERN! Metallica needs that rivalry in pinball too.

#7635 3 years ago
Quoted from Grandnational007:

From what I see around here, I'm probably the only person who not only thinks the sound on my GNR and BW (as well as every WPC game I've ever had, for that matter) are totally acceptable, but absolutely enjoyable and charming, and part of the experience/"magic" of having them in my home. I like them as they were intended to be, I guess. And they're technically pre-whitestar, even though they are BSMT audio.
I guess if you only ever watched SD TV, you'd never know how great HD was, but I've played plenty of games with the various aftermarket sound add-ons, and I find them distracting or annoying, as I know how they are SUPPOSED to sound. Adding upgraded speakers or a sub is one thing, but changing the actual sounds and musical scores is not my cup of tea. The sounds of basically every 90's game are pretty iconic, even with their intrinsic quirkiness.
But hey, variety is the spice of life, and people are free to do with their machines as they wish.
Back to the topic...

I agree for the most part. In some ways I even like the fm synthesis sound of games like Banzai Run and Swords of Fury over a lot of later games with unquestionable better sound quality. BSMT just had a lot of rough years in the beginning and later at it's end of life. Which in the beginning I think was more of a talent thing and at the end was more of a system design thing.

#7636 3 years ago

This would be the be all end all!!! Throw Ozzy,DLR in and make girl on couch squirt for multiball and Tommy’s spinning drum set.Rumor is there’s a sequel in works for movie perfect window !!!!

353F5BC4-CC25-4F26-96F0-7AF383945A0E (resized).jpeg353F5BC4-CC25-4F26-96F0-7AF383945A0E (resized).jpeg
#7637 3 years ago

Story of game is you have to get all 4 members together to tour which will be focus of movie sequel I’m sure.Stern I’m available for part time work call me !!

#7638 3 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

This would be the be all end all!!! Throw Ozzy,DLR in and make girl on couch squirt for multiball and Tommy’s spinning drum set.Rumor is there’s a sequel in works for movie perfect window !!!!
[quoted image]

I like old Crüe but that movie is an abomination!

#7639 3 years ago

What would you be more likely to Be interested in or purchase?

a Borg TMNT or a Elwin Godzilla ?

#7640 3 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

What would you be more likely to Be interested in or purchase?
a Borg TMNT or a Elwin Godzilla ?

I would be more interested in another Elwin game and I don't mind Godzilla either would look nice next to my Sega Godzilla.

#7641 3 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

I would be more interested in another Elwin game and I don't mind Godzilla either would nice next to my Sega Godzilla.

I agree, Elwins games have really been Winners for me . I am excited to see what he Designs next and then what theme would be on it.

#7642 3 years ago

Add to my last post .

I am very excited to see what this TMNT is going to be all about. I have been hearing good things about it being loaded.

We will see!

#7643 3 years ago

At least Godzilla is an Asian culture beast that is older than your grandpa... Not another 80s theme. With Elwin designing, it would be awesome. I wish Elwin worked for jjp or Chicago or even spooky so the QC could at least try to keep up with the design.

#7644 3 years ago

Kaneda says Godzilla is Elwins next game. Dream theme for me and one of the only designers I would want on it if true. No offense to Spooky, I don’t think they have a designer to do this theme justice. Rick and Morty was a let down for me as a rabid fan for years and their other titles just kind of blow outside of Alice Cooper which was ok. Jersey Jack’s Eric would be ideal IMO but Stern And Elwin will do just fine.

#7645 3 years ago

Jurassic Park, TMNT and Godzilla? Stern is filling thier reptile/amphibian quota.
I wish I was a bigger Godzilla fan but I'm no JP fanboy and damn do i love that game. We cant always get our dream themes from our favorite designers but I got.pretty.close.with Maiden. If Elwin did Bill and Ted I'd probably crap my pants though

#7646 3 years ago

Nothing against Keith making a Godzilla game if that is true......was hoping he was going to make a Jaws game if that game was ever being considered..

#7647 3 years ago

I’m a buyer of an Elwin Godzilla.

#7648 3 years ago

Why doesn’t Stern and these other manufacturers just reveal their next game already. Yeah I understand they are not back to work but I’d want to get the audience fired up so when I do return I’m hitting the ground running. Fuck this Corona BS, I’m over it already.

#7649 3 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Why doesn’t Stern and these other manufacturers just reveal their next game already. Yeah I understand they are not back to work but I’d want to get the audience fired up so when I do return I’m hitting the ground running. Fuck this Corona BS, I’m over it already.

According to the polls I started, pinsiders seem to think Stern will reveal their next pin in June. Food for thought and the wait may be almost over.

#7650 3 years ago

They need to fill back orders before they announce any game. If not, you will have half the orders cancelled and deposits moved to the new game. Dosen't make sense to announce anything.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

$ 24.95
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

£ 70.00
Playfield - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 20.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 47.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Space Coast Pinball

$ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

6,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Muskego, WI
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

There are 46,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 153 of 936.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine/page/153?hl=geddy2112 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.