Albumism_TheCars_TheCars_16x9.jpg
IMG_1935 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240412_203046_Chrome (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240412_203117_Chrome (resized).jpg
DSC06496 (resized).JPG
DSC06495 (resized).JPG
DSC05223 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 46,856 posts in this topic. You are on page 147 of 938.
#7301 4 years ago

Stern have a reputation to uphold. They are experts in their field and thus have a duty of care on what leaves the factory floor. They should be providing sound guidance and advice to their customers and business partners.

Whether it was Incendium or 3rd party who presented this artwork, someone at Stern with the level of experience should have stepped in with advice regarding the art.

Just my opinion.

#7302 4 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

Stern have a reputation to uphold. They are experts in their field and thus have a duty of care on what leaves the factory floor. They should be providing sound guidance and advice to their customers and business partners.
Whether it was Incendium or 3rd party who presented this artwork, someone at Stern with the level of experience should have stepped in with advice regarding the art.
Just my opinion.

Agreed. Why would anyone expect anything different?
StarWarsPin_Playfield.jpgStarWarsPin_Playfield.jpg
e1223569bb850fad7a9a6b14f3cb0c7af1da6880.jpge1223569bb850fad7a9a6b14f3cb0c7af1da6880.jpg

#7303 4 years ago

Its just too similar to the star wars home

#7304 4 years ago

Well the display will be very different. DMD vs Full color LCD so there's that

Quoted from JonCBrand:

Its just too similar to the star wars home

#7305 4 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

it looks way too challenging for my expertise. A tough looking game.

BKSOR is very tough. Brutal in fact . It's a lot of fun though. There are lots and lots of risk/reward kinds of shots. Moreover, the shots to progress and battle against the bad guys are pretty challenging (i.e. you can't just go randomly shooting at the shield, flail, or knight himself w/o risking drains ).

I wouldn't call it "deep" by any stretch of the imagination. If "deep" is your thing, it isn't worth owning .

The only thing that torqued me off about it was needing to replace two coil stops on my LE before I hit 500 games.

#7306 4 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Well the display will be very different. DMD vs Full color LCD so there's that

I thought that both of these games have a red DMD?

#7307 4 years ago

Is that supposed to be a "legally distinct" way of tracing another company's fantasy artwork? There are 400 pictures of that purple broad already from the last 15 years of Hasbro's publishing, looking suspiciously similar. This isn't even a good example, you see 6-foot-tall posters of this strange woman walking past comic stores and such.

Stern is finished. How much would it have cost to license the art etc. from the 1980s animated feature that everyone meant when they said "Heavy Metal"?
2019-NZM-MtG-Liliana-FEAT (resized).jpg2019-NZM-MtG-Liliana-FEAT (resized).jpg

#7308 4 years ago
Quoted from Tubes:

Is that supposed to be a "legally distinct" way of tracing another company's fantasy artwork? There are 400 pictures of that purple broad already from the last 15 years of Hasbro's publishing, looking suspiciously similar. This isn't even a good example, you see 6-foot-tall posters of this strange woman walking past comic stores and such.
Stern is finished. How much would it have cost to license the art etc. from the 1980s animated feature that everyone meant when they said "Heavy Metal"?
[quoted image]

You don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about. Not how old that licenses are (and who'd stole from whom if anyone), not what "tracing" means, not how the licensing in this contracted work works. The only thing you get correct is the color "purple".

Heavy Metal - Drawing "sexy purple fantasy warrior womenTM" since 1977!

#7309 4 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Agreed. Why would anyone expect anything different?
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I get what you are trying to say, but it's a retheme right? Wasn't it always gonna look something like this?

#7310 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

You don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about. Not how old that licenses are (and who'd stole from whom if anyone), not what "tracing" means, not how the licensing in this contracted work works. The only thing you get correct is the color "purple".
Heavy Metal - Drawing "sexy purple fantasy warrior womenTM" since 1977!

If it were based on the fantasy magazine established to avoid the Comic Code then it wouldn't be the lamest playfield anyone here's ever seen. If you think I can't recall 50+ covers of the magazine from memory in order to amuse myself by comparing them to this artwork then it explains why you're so bold in declaring this valid.

Even if it's for sale at Sam's Club or Target or whatever the plan is, does this save money? Is the artwork that big a part of the "BoM" when you're reskinning? How was it possible to remake Spiderman without triggering gag reflexes?

#7311 4 years ago
Quoted from Tubes:

If it were based on the fantasy magazine established to avoid the Comic Code then it wouldn't be the lamest playfield anyone here's ever seen. If you think I can't recall 50+ covers of the magazine from memory in order to amuse myself by comparing them to this artwork then it explains why you're so bold in declaring this valid.
Even if it's for sale at Sam's Club or Target or whatever the plan is, does this save money? Is the artwork that big a part of the "BoM" when you're reskinning? How was it possible to remake Spiderman without triggering gag reflexes?

The playfield looks pO0p.
I did not argue against that.

Still has nothing to do with stealing anothers ladywarrior design, that only has the color purple in common, with a time machine.

But ok, you didn't mean that "literally", getting that now.

#7312 4 years ago

Ok, I’ll bite... I know better - but I’ll chime in against my better judgement.

So fwiw I’ll reiterate that Stern only builds the contract games and - in my experience - the licensor is the Art Director in every case. (Supreme being the greatest example lol)

My involvement with Primus was contracted by the band AND essentially myself and Zoltron became the Art Directors for that project. Obviously I work with Greg and greatly appreciate & respect his opinion - so I bounced it off of him as we went - but Stern had zero input on the look and feel.

There was an extremely small window of time that I might have been working on Heavy Metal with the licensor - but schedule didn’t work out for me (thanks to another game at least!). But I only share this because I know the creatives on this did an amazing job with the time frame and creating original assets. It’s gorgeous up close! (No skittles puke! Yeti-Haters™️)

So, If there’s one flaw here (price doesn’t count - that’s also not up to Stern from my experience), it’s showing art as a flat template mock up vs a physical built game. It’s an amazing looking game imo and will look great once it’s in 3 dimensions.

Just sharing perspective from my experience... I say relax & wait to see this in person. (Of course I Am proud and love Primus - so take my opinion with squinting eyes and a cocked head...)

So - nothing nefarious to see here - continue on hating or loving people’s genuine efforts

#7313 4 years ago

Nope. Heavy Metal Magazine pinball has a DMD and Star Wars HOME has a full color LCD with animations. That's a huge step back.
Here is zacs unboxing video at the end you see gameplay.

Quoted from Sinistarrett:

I thought that both of these games have a red DMD?

#7314 4 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

So fwiw I’ll reiterate that Stern only builds the contract games and - in my experience - the licensor is the Art Director in every case. (Supreme being the greatest example lol)
My involvement with Primus was contracted by the band AND essentially myself and Zoltron became the Art Directors for that project. Obviously I work with Greg and greatly appreciate & respect his opinion - so I bounced it off of him as we went - but Stern had zero input on the look and feel.
There was an extremely small window of time that I might have been working on Heavy Metal with the licensor - but schedule didn’t work out for me (thanks to another game at least!). But I only share this because I know the creatives on this did an amazing job with the time frame and creating original assets. It’s gorgeous up close! (No skittles puke! Yeti-Haters™️)
So, If there’s one flaw here (price doesn’t count - that’s also not up to Stern from my experience), it’s showing art as a flat template mock up vs a physical built game. It’s an amazing looking game imo and will look great once it’s in 3 dimensions.
Just sharing perspective from my experience... I say relax & wait to see this in person. (Of course I Am proud and love Primus - so take my opinion with squinting eyes and a cocked head...)
So - nothing nefarious to see here - continue on hating or loving people’s genuine efforts

Thanks!

I think the assets (every single artpiece in itself) are mostly great, it's the composition/ collage they built with it on the playfield that looks a but plain/ stiff/ rigid (to me).

Still looking forward seeing the whole thing, with plastics on and everything!

#7315 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Thanks!
it's the composition/ collage they built with it on the playfield that looks a but plain/ stiff/ rigid.

This. Doing poster / comic style art is different than being good at pinball playfield art / composition.

#7316 4 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

I for one , really appreciate you giving some comments on how the process works , from someone on the inside .

#7318 4 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Nope. Heavy Metal Magazine pinball has a DMD and Star Wars HOME has a full color LCD with animations. That's a huge step back.

Have you actually played the home Star Wars game? I'm guessing not, because the LCD was not a great feature. It is tiiiiiiiny, looks odd, and meh. My initial thought was, just do a dmd, makes it look like a normal pin then.

Mind you I only played a handful of games, but it was pretty fun to play! Id play it over a few recent full releases in a heartbeat! Two things that struck me were the small LCD, and lack of a coin door mech. Both made it feel cheaper than it actually was, going with a dmd and having a coin door were good calls. I could definitely see paying 50 cents to play one of these games, give it a go at a distributor, will surprise ya!

Price, well, price is a different story, as ZombieYeti mentions above. No way would I plop down the dough needed to buy one... but if an op did and let me put a few quarters in, for sure!

#7319 4 years ago
Quoted from zombieyeti:

Yeti-Haters™️

That's a thing? Every game you've worked on so far is worthy of being hung on a wall.

#7320 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

The playfield looks pO0p.
I did not argue against that.
Still has nothing to do with stealing anothers ladywarrior design, that only has the color purple in common, with a time machine.
But ok, you didn't mean that "literally", getting that now.

The purple lady and all the rest of it look worse than artwork designed for 2"×3" playing card artwork frames. Heavy Metal is full A4 hand-drawn mental artwork, the kind that would look good on a pinball machine. It's all highly incongruous. Everyone should look up "Heavy Metal magazine covers" in Google, sort to "Images" only, and sort out all but "Large". Some can be a bit questionable for an open family forum. The weird pterodactyl has black eyes, like a doll's eyes. Lifeless.

#7322 4 years ago

Well by law you can't post anything on the internet that isn't true

#7324 4 years ago

Uh oh, where is that guy that keeps daring us to ask Gary about BTTF?

#7325 4 years ago

All that BTTF talk in the link is highly speculative. Does it bother taking in actual facts? The writer of the film said last week that he'd never license it for anything (remake was the example). Don't they think getting Crispin Glover would be harder than Alex Keaton? He'll sue the Fake Shemp off you over his likeness.

Who would get all involved in a pinball the way James Cameron did for T2? Sending dailies and everything. Mel Gibson pinball? Apocalypto? David Lynch pinball?

#7326 4 years ago
Quoted from Tubes:

David Lynch pinball?

a wacky and retro Twin Peaks machine would be legendary.

#7327 4 years ago
Quoted from Tubes:

The writer of the film said last week that he'd never license it for anything (remake was the example).

BTTF is continually getting licensed, there is a constant release of new merchandise.

Your referring to Robert Zemeckis and
Bob Gale (Rob and Bob) who have gone on record over the years regarding remaking BTTF.

Rob and Bob have stated multiple times it will only happen after they are dead. Don’t think they have control over the BTTF licence simply the control over the films being remade.

Believe last year sometime Rob went as far to state that even after they are dead, their individual estates will find a way to stop a remake happening and they have no interest in a BTTF4.

#7328 4 years ago

^

Truth. The "bob's" will not allow another movie to be made, but the BTTF license is all over the place. For example in the movie Ready Player One. Also, the Delorean BTTF version is available to use in the game "Rocket League". Probably in many other avenues. Getting a BTTF theme won't be too hard, but getting the likeness of actors and callouts might be a different story.

#7329 4 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

^
Truth. The "bob's" will not allow another movie to be made, but the BTTF license is all over the place. For example in the movie Ready Player One. Also, the Delorean BTTF version is available to use in the game "Rocket League". Probably in many other avenues. Getting a BTTF theme won't be too hard, but getting the likeness of actors and callouts might be a different story.

Telltale did a great job with that, I‘d buy that Assets/ 3D models and hire that MJF Soundalike.

42F6C4F5-5FB2-47A5-A4C9-E3A3ECBD858B (resized).jpeg42F6C4F5-5FB2-47A5-A4C9-E3A3ECBD858B (resized).jpeg
#7330 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Telltale did a great job with that, I‘d buy that Assets/ 3D models and hire that MJF Soundalike.[quoted image]

Back to the Sopranos

#7331 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Telltale did a great job with that, I‘d buy that Assets/ 3D models and hire that MJF Soundalike.[quoted image]

twilight_zone_eye_of_the_beholder_01 (resized).jpgtwilight_zone_eye_of_the_beholder_01 (resized).jpg
#7332 4 years ago

Split post, ignore.

#7333 4 years ago

That woman is hideous!

#7334 4 years ago
Screenshot_20200307-023433_Instagram (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200307-023433_Instagram (resized).jpg
#7335 4 years ago

What's the hot speculation on Brian Eddy's next project? Seems like a fun kind of thing to make educated guesses about, he's heavily teased a sequel to either Attack from Mars or Medieval Madness. This suggests Lyman on the code, and he types for machines with premium pricepoints these days. Will his schedule coincide with the release of Stern's next high-priced machine? Would a sequel to these machines have a Premium base model? Are there sales figures for the MM remake vs. the AFM? Enough threads to weave a rich tapestry of nonsense.

#7336 4 years ago
Quoted from Tubes:

What's the hot speculation on Brian Eddy's next project? Seems like a fun kind of thing to make educated guesses about, he's heavily teased a sequel to either Attack from Mars or Medieval Madness. This suggests Lyman on the code, and he types for machines with premium pricepoints these days. Will his schedule coincide with the release of Stern's next high-priced machine? Would a sequel to these machines have a Premium base model? Are there sales figures for the MM remake vs. the AFM? Enough threads to weave a rich tapestry of nonsense.

Stern doesnt have the rights to make official sequals to those games. Stranger Things is pretty much Attack from Mars layout though.

#7337 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Stern doesnt have the rights to make official sequals to those games. Stranger Things is pretty much Attack from Mars layout though.

Sure they do, they buy the rights to use the license from Bally/Williams or whatever that slot machine company is called. Didn't Brian work for them forever this side of the 21st century? Probably an easy collaboration like with Chicago Gaming Company or whatnot. It's during the Stranger Things reveal video that he himself offered up the sequel to MM or AFM hint, while acknowledging that the hint was in fact more than a hint. He may have said the next machine would be "Medieval Madness 2 or Attack from Mars 3", referring to the similar layouts.

#7338 4 years ago

I heard Todd Tuckey mention the Turtles in his youtube video.

#7339 4 years ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

I heard Todd Tuckey mention the Turtles in his youtube video.

What does he said about it? Or at what time does he mention it?

#7340 4 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

What does he said about it? Or at what time does he mention it?

17:25

#7341 4 years ago

So he mentions turtles and I continued watching. Lost some respect with that color puke on the cyclone

#7342 4 years ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

So he mentions turtles and I continued watching. Lost some respect with that color puke on the cyclone

You HAVE to love a Todd but yes, they love their clown puke lighting over there.

#7343 4 years ago

Oh he's patient Zero for clown pukery

1 week later
#7344 4 years ago

I wonder how this virus issue will affect Stern's release schedule?
Will they blame Heavy Metal's low sales on Corona? Lol

#7345 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

I'd assume so.

#7346 4 years ago
DUNE (resized).jpgDUNE (resized).jpg
#7347 4 years ago

Firepower 3 / Judas Priest

DD5432FF-B18F-4358-8361-3B61AB4CFDCC (resized).jpegDD5432FF-B18F-4358-8361-3B61AB4CFDCC (resized).jpeg
#7348 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Will they blame Heavy Metal's low sales on Corona? Lol

Is there factory still open and the line running? Or are they closed due to the virus?

#7349 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Is there factory still open and the line running? Or are they closed due to the virus?

**their**
You-are-judged-by-your-grammar-wvbzx5 (resized).jpgYou-are-judged-by-your-grammar-wvbzx5 (resized).jpg

#7350 4 years ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

**their**
[quoted image]

I want to correct so many people's spelling and grammar on here but I'm not a dick (not that kind at least, lol)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

8,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Walton, KY
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Sarasota, FL
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 55.00
Playfield - Protection
Tucson Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 46,856 posts in this topic. You are on page 147 of 938.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine/page/147?hl=globalcop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.