Severance (resized).JPG
We_were_on_a_break1-ezgif.com-webp-to-gif-converter.gif
maxresdefault (resized).jpeg
images (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1713427968712 (resized).jpg
Untitled (resized).jpg
images (1) (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 47,020 posts in this topic. You are on page 132 of 941.
#6551 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Ok, maybe it'll be called something other than a vault, but that's essentially what Spike LotR will be. For the sake of simplicity, vault is the easiest thing to call it.
I'm not comparing busted-ass LotR prices to a brand new enhanced vault, but even broke-ass LotRs go for 5k-ish. Nice regular ones are 7k and up, and LEs go for $8-10k or more. When you see secondary market pricing like that, it's an opportunity - CGC has made a whole business out of it.
Gomez isn't stupid. He's seen the prices going crazy over time, and that pin is his baby, so an enhanced Spike LotR vault would be a great success, especially in light of the dud sales year Stern had in 2019 and the really poor start for 2020 with Stranger Things underperforming and a surprise re-vault that literally NO ONE was looking for. That, and the new very expensive LotR Amazon series coming. The marketing synergy will be about as perfect as you could want if you're Stern and have a revered game with a proven ruleset you can upgrade to refresh it and sell along with the show launch.

Stern needs to be careful with the vaults. Vaults compete with their original pins on the secondary market. This creates more supply which eventually reduces the prices of pins on the secondary market. Take a look at the price of any popular Stern pin machine before and after a VE was announced. Also look at the price drop of NIB pins that are being sold a few months after being bought. You are seeing $500-$1000 depreciation on almost new stern pins. Why buy new when you can buy at a discount a few months later. Collectors specifically and operators to a lessor extent need a healthy secondary market to sell their formally NIB pins. Without a good option to sell these pins, buyers will less likely buy NIB. Stern does need to keep an eye on the secondary market because it does effect their sales.

#6552 4 years ago
Quoted from cantbfrank:

Stern needs to be careful with the vaults. Vaults compete with their original pins on the secondary market. This creates more supply which eventually reduces the prices of pins on the secondary market. Take a look at the price of any popular Stern pin machine before and after a VE was announced. Also look at the price drop of NIB pins that are being sold a few months after being bought. You are seeing $500-$1000 depreciation on almost new stern pins. Why buy new when you can buy at a discount a few months later. Collectors specifically and operators to a lessor extent need a healthy secondary market to sell their formally NIB pins. Without a good option to sell these pins, buyers will less likely buy NIB. Stern does need to keep an eye on the secondary market because it does effect their sales.

If you think Stern gives one iota of care what secondary market values of their machines are, you are dreaming. The only sales prices Stern cares about are the prices of the machines they are building today.

#6553 4 years ago

It took me like 3 months to sell my decked out IM for $4200. Is this game really going to sell enough to make it worth switching the line over? I guess if they weren't running anything else anyway.

#6554 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

If you think Stern gives one iota of care what secondary market values of their machines are, you are dreaming. The only sales prices Stern cares about are the prices of the machines they are building today.

Yeah I agree, they don’t give a shit as long as people buy them.

I do however think that they should wait like 10 years to do this shit... so it’s 2020 and anything prior to 2010 is game. Vault to me has the meaning of dragging something out of the archives on a new limited basis.

Just my 2 centavos

#6555 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

So, that means Stranger Things Premium orders are very short and will be done by middle of Feb instead of the end?

Agree with you @vireland, Stranger Things sales couldn’t have been anywhere near what Stern hoped and 2019 simply wasn’t a good year for Stern, no hits other than JP2.

Make BTTF Stern and put some effort into the playfield and you wouldn’t need another title all year that thing would be the modern day Addams.

#6556 4 years ago

This is why I think IM Vault now is the spike test for vault games. They have the parts laying around, they'll only need to make 100-200 games and if it doesn't sell then they can let distributors drop prices slowly or hold inventory. There is no way they'd vault a game that had no demand OR there is such a small run being built it is for testing something.

#6557 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Agree with you vireland, Stranger Things sales couldn’t have been anywhere near what Stern hoped and 2019 simply wasn’t a good year for Stern, no hits other than JP2.
Make BTTF Stern and put some effort into the playfield and you wouldn’t need another title all year that thing would be the modern day Addams.

So I played ST at CES and I don't like the way it plays, but I hear on podcasts and streams that people love it....sooo what is going on?

#6558 4 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Didn't stern do an IronMan vault 3 years ago? Is this a vault of a vault?

This is IMrv, where rv = revault. But didn’t Stern have an additional run of either IM after the original run or IMv after the initial run? I can’t remember but if so this might be IMrvv. I sense everybody that wants IM or IMv already have one or would buy a used one for less money. Unless Stern does something different with this version, there is no market imo.

If I were Stern, I’d make IMv LE. Powder coated hardware, laser-etched side rails, custom apron with lighted triangles, shaker motor, convert to Spike2 boards, swap dmd for a lcd, real backglass, license the Iron Man song from Ozzie and get Robert Downey jr to do some custom call outs. That’d motivate me to trade my IM in for one. With no changes I’ll pass and bet those with an IM or IMv will too. So where’s the market for another IMv?

#6559 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

So I played ST at CES and I don't like the way it plays, but I hear on podcasts and streams that people love it....sooo what is going on?

You know of any stream or podcast besides kaneda, Who says anything negative about Stern ever?

#6560 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

You know of any stream or podcast besides kaneda, Who says anything negative about Stern ever?

#6561 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

There are still GB's out there at distributors. Call Automated up and ask...

I was hoping for an updated vault with LCD and fixed geometry - more of an upgraded vault - more of a fantasy

#6562 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I'd rather have a JJP Witcher. Just don't want the Stern cheap-o version. Seems like there's a LOT of content to film and even with a crappy budget, they managed to deliver a good show. Hopefully Season 2 that's just starting filming has a budget more in line with the massive viewership Season 1 is banging out. If they start now they can have a machine out between Seasons 2 and 3.

Ball drain callout would be easy:

"Fu@$" (in the Witcher's voice)

#6563 4 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Ball drain callout would be easy:
"Fu@$" (in the Witcher's voice)

Exactly. It'd be funny for tilt, too.

#6564 4 years ago

It's not that I don't like Ironman, it's just that there are plenty of them out there at good prices already (plus I own one) and TRON has a stupid high demand and price right now, why not do that one? Even Kiss would have been better as there doesn't seem to be as many of them out there as IM's.

#6565 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

and this IM vault 2 an easy distraction from the numerous build and code issues at hand.

#6566 4 years ago
Quoted from cantbfrank:

Stern needs to be careful with the vaults. Vaults compete with their original pins on the secondary market. This creates more supply which eventually reduces the prices of pins on the secondary market.

Stern gives exactly zero shits about the secondary market.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#6567 4 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

True, Iron Man in solo for Barcades to get a new machine in the lineup. I doubt if home owners are excited for this title. Stern needed to fill the line, make IM's for 2-3 weeks, that will be 150 pinballs. Then proceed to the next game. I just wonder which parts they have lying around to vault anything. Vaults like Star Trek and IM are not for collectors. Maybe they sell e few to a hardcore fan. But even these are already served by the second hand market. It is not that IM or ST are unobtainable.

#6568 4 years ago

When are they going to make a Ton VE?

#6569 4 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Wow, Nice sneak attack . Stern pulls out the weapons.

Just not sure how you pull off a price of $5600 for a SAM system game. It's not like you can't already find an HUO IM VE for under $5000.

#6570 4 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Just not sure how you pull off a price of $5600 for a SAM system game. It's not like you can't already find an HUO IM VE for under $5000.

probably cheaper more like 5200-5400 from distributor. i am probably buying a new one. been looking for a ve and not many out there and too expensive.

#6571 4 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

probably cheaper more like 5200-5400 from distributor. i am probably buying a new one. been looking for a ve and not many out there and too expensive.

They will come down now.

#6572 4 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

True, Iron Man in solo for Barcades to get a new machine in the lineup. I doubt if home owners are excited for this title. Stern needed to fill the line, make IM's for 2-3 weeks, that will be 150 pinballs.

LOL, Stern can do up to 100 machines a day at full tilt.

#6573 4 years ago

So I didn't think STh was doing that bad but this just confirmed it (even though I think it's not as bad as others say it is).... we now have the vault no one asked for. Also shows Stern doesn't have a good vault on hand like Tron

As someone hyped for tmnt, this is great news. If Iron Man is their solution - wow things must be bad.

And who in the hell is buying this game NIB right now when they run them? SO many better IM options that unless you're just throwing money away, this is a clear PASS PASS PASS

I wonder how the shills will spin this...

#6574 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Gomez isn't stupid. He's seen the prices going crazy over time, and that pin is his baby, so an enhanced Spike LotR vault would be a great success

LOTR would be Stern's chance to do something like a Special Edition LE Vault, and people would buy it.

#6575 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

So I didn't think STh was doing that bad but this just confirmed it (even though I think it's not as bad as others say it is).... we now have the vault no one asked for. Also shows Stern doesn't have a good vault on hand like Tron
As someone hyped for tmnt, this is great news. If Iron Man is their solution - wow things must be bad.
And who in the hell is buying this game NIB right now when they run them? SO many better IM options that unless you're just throwing money away, this is a clear PASS PASS PASS
I wonder how the shills will spin this...

Gotta fill the line. I'm sure Moose and Rocco can "persuade" distributors to take them.

moose (resized).jpgmoose (resized).jpg
#6576 4 years ago

Stern is a bit ballsy asking that kind of money for old tech. Iron Man vault should be $4800 tops when compared to current offerings.

#6577 4 years ago
Next!.pngNext!.png
#6578 4 years ago
Quoted from cantbfrank:

Also look at the price drop of NIB pins that are being sold a few months after being bought. You are seeing $500-$1000 depreciation on almost new stern pins. Why buy new when you can buy at a discount a few months later.

this has been said a million times before but if you're buying a pinball machine and expecting it's price retention to be different than driving a new car off the lot, you're crazy.

Also Stern doesn't give a shit about secondary markets, outside the market research for their VEs

#6579 4 years ago

I'm kind of surprised they're running IMVE instead of more JP2's. I have an order in for a Premium and was told they wouldn't be hitting the line again until April. Makes me wonder if they're waiting on parts or something for JP2 and this is just filling a gap in production while the main line is churning out Stranger Things?

#6580 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I do however think that they should wait like 10 years to do this shit... so it’s 2020 and anything prior to 2010 is game. Vault to me has the meaning of dragging something out of the archives on a new limited basis.

the world is ready for a Wheel of Fortune vault with finished code, especially with Pat Sajak's health issues. (mind you I just read his wiki and had no idea he promoted and funded climate change denialism )

#6581 4 years ago

https://i3.ytimg.com/vi/VsPg0acvgFQ/hqdefault.jpg

Touche.
Does this mean he is out of the sdtm/flip-n-out family?

#6582 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I'm kind of surprised they're running IMVE instead of more JP2's. I have an order in for a Premium and was told they wouldn't be hitting the line again until April. Makes me wonder if they're waiting on parts or something for JP2 and this is just filling a gap in production while the main line is churning out Stranger Things?

Most likely due to lead time on parts.

Quoted from cait001:

the world is ready for a Wheel of Fortune vault with finished code, especially with Pat Sajak's health issues.

After playing this recently...its actually a fun game, and really a shame it was never finished. I'd probably own one if I found it at the right price.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#6583 4 years ago

After weeks of him blathering about the game he finally played it?

#6584 4 years ago

Stern does care about the secondary market, that is why they are able to vault games. I do not understand why no Tron or Lord of the rings.

#6585 4 years ago

Stern know that Stranger Things is DOA.

Smart move to move to Iron Man vault to keep the line rolling.
Then Stern needs to throw everything and the kitchen sink in TMNT.

Market saturation does not allow sub par games . It just does not work.

Not to mention the saturation is only going to grow with DR pinball.

#6586 4 years ago

Stern needs to crank out a cornerstone music theme hopefully Led Zepp. They need a big seller.

Fact is they sell well, earn well on location and haven’t built one since Maiden which is quite a while if you look at timing of these themes from ACDC-Maiden.

#6587 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

LOL, Stern can do up to 100 machines a day at full tilt.

and maybe this is the reason why there are so many issues straight out of the box with so many stern titles recently. maybe stern should be taking the time and QA/QCing the machines instead of rushing them off the line and into shipping boxes

#6588 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

and maybe this is the reason why there are so many issues straight out of the box with so many stern titles recently. maybe stern should be taking the time and QA/QCing the machines instead of rushing them off the line and into shipping boxes

Stern doesn't care. Every game they make is already sold. The only way the quality will change is when people stop buying and sales slow down. Only then will they start trying to figure out why.

#6589 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Stern doesn't care. Every game they make is already sold. The only way the quality will change is when people stop buying and sales slow down. Only then will they start trying to figure out why.

Well here’s to beating a dead horse

#6590 4 years ago

bought a new IM vault couple of years ago. My son and I just love the game and the only thing we did was adding some figures and we put a colordmd, so the graphics would be nicer. Great thing about this game, no matter how many times we play it, we still hear new speech

#6591 4 years ago

Vaults priced at $4999 would be sweet. Wishful thinking.

#6592 4 years ago
Quoted from gamera9:

Stern does care about the secondary market, that is why they are able to vault games. I do not understand why no Tron or Lord of the rings.

One word: licensing

#6593 4 years ago

Just buy a used IronMan. Definately less that $4999.

Quoted from frankmac:

Vaults priced at $4999 would be sweet. Wishful thinking.

#6594 4 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

One word: licensing

I’d agree with this it’s fairy obvious that Disney have zero interest in TRON:Legacy, it’s been dead in their eyes for years.

All the cast and crew from Legacy have been trying to push out a sequel but Disney are simply not interested, especially when they can make 4, 5 or 10x more off a Marvel or Star Wars deal.

#6595 4 years ago
Quoted from Airball:

Stern know that Stranger Things is DOA.
Smart move to move to Iron Man vault to keep the line rolling.
Then Stern needs to throw everything and the kitchen sink in TMNT.
Market saturation does not allow sub par games . It just does not work.
Not to mention the saturation is only going to grow with DR pinball.

And JJP GnR probably also at Texas with DR.

Saturation is going to start to bite real soon.

Turtles a week after Texas?

This new tech needs to be awesome - playing head to head with friends could be really good, depending on implementation.

#6596 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

This new tech needs to be awesome - playing head to head with friends could be really good, depending on implementation.

Lots of pins

#6597 4 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

It's just behind Quality Control on their List.

#6598 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I stopped following all the DR noise, are they actually revealing playable “non prototype” games at Texas?

#6599 4 years ago

Is turtles going to have internet connection? What would that be used for beyond code updates? Excited for possibilites

#6600 4 years ago
Quoted from Digduglus:

Is turtles going to have internet connection? What would that be used for beyond code updates? Excited for possibilites

Rumour is yes, my big concern is stern will fall back on that being the main feature and give us another barren playfield like most their 2019 offerings.

I’d love to see some interactive toys for a change, a bash and reveal krang keep costs down and just use the mech from Elvira crypt, shredder with magnet in front of him so he can fight back and most of of all TMNT screams for subways!

Doesn’t have to be anything mind blowing for this game to kick ass, Ironman being vaulted again proves this, simple interactive toys/areas that are a lot of fun.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Machine - For Sale
Haddonfield, NJ
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
$ 145.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 89.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 79.99
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 47,020 posts in this topic. You are on page 132 of 941.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine/page/132?hl=dpannell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.