balls...gif
balls..gif
IMG_4484 (resized).jpeg
Disney boy Seth Davis (resized).jpeg
Backinblack (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
birds (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 46,141 posts in this topic. You are on page 107 of 923.
#5301 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

OK, I can see you are not a gamer. I was for a PC gamer for decades! The fact is that gamers are the cheapest bunch I have ever seen! They bitch about spending $60.00 US on an awesome title. Example, Pinball FX 2VR. The entire package (all 12 tables) costs about $65.00. These are awesome! I have them all. And all you have to do is go read the reviews of gamers. They all piss and moan about how expensive it is, and they won't pay for it! This is why every cool technology that has come along in the last 15 years has died out. Example; nvidia 3d vision, Novint Falcon force feed back controller. The Novint Falcon was the greatest first person perspective controller ever invented. I had one with the pistol grip. Feeling the recoil of automatic weapons is needless to say, immersive! The company went bankrupt because apparently $184.00 was just too much for gamers to spend on their hobby, that mind you, they spend tremendous hours on!
As I type this on my 3d Vision display, nvida has stopped support for this awesome tech. You should have seen pinball in 3d vision! So it's no wonder to me that Stern isn't wasting time on gamers. Do you think these people are going to actually drop THOUSANDS on pinball machines?

Exactly, people bitch about old men buying games and the themes that come with it. Umm, unless there are a bunch of trustfund babies getting together and all the sudden buying pins, its the old guys buying pins and that is where the themes will be targeted. These "toys" are freaking expensive and no kid will be buying one anytime soon.

Bring on MAD MAX!!!

#5302 4 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Honestly, I'm sort of surprised Stern hasn't jumped onto some of the younger trends in gaming and turned them into pinball machines. They missed the boat on Angry Birds (just like the last movie), but there are still some very popular games out there that millions of people play daily;
Fortnite
Call Of Duty
League of Legends
Magic The Gathering
Older themes that still might resonate;
Halo
Clash Of Clans
Roblox
Minecraft
Candy Crush
And of course the aforementioned;
Pokemon

Srsly, most of that titles are free games that make their money with micro transactions and/ or season passes.

So they're targetting an audience that hasn't enough money to make a bigger purchase upfront or doesn't care enough for games in general to spend money on them, before they're hooked.
How are these people supposed to buy a pinball machine?
Location? - Maybe, if they ever leave their house or even know pinball exists anymore.

Pokémon is a totally different beast of course, because the license had been around for so long it caters to kids as well as many grown ups.
The license would also make up for a good ruleset, collecting monsters and beating arenas.

#5303 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Yeah sure. Gary was adamant back in 2013 that zombies would NEVER get made. Then, BAM.

How about you go into his office, ask the question then beware of his reaction.
Up to you.
But it's been mentioned here many times and common knowledge it's a NO regarding BTTF. He said its DONE AND THAT'S IT! (yelling with annoyance)
Keep asking but this one has been out of question for a long time now.
If you see him at a trade show I dare you to ask again. But you will not like his reaction when he shoots you down !!

#5304 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Exactly, people bitch about old men buying games and the themes that come with it. Umm, unless there are a bunch of trustfund babies getting together and all the sudden buying pins, its the old guys buying pins and that is where the themes will be targeted. These "toys" are freaking expensive and no kid will be buying one anytime soon.

There’s a balance that can be found that will interest both the older crowd and the younger crowd like myself. Munsters and Elvira are flat out old men themes, no one I know under 35 knows who either of them are.

But that a classic theme that’s been handed down generation to generation like Predator, Alien/s, Terminator (Stern have already shown they will redo themes over and over) Die Hard, Robocop, Halloween most of these will resonate with older buyers as well as younger buyers because they are classics! Everyone I know and work with knows and loves all the above, there’s a reason Hollywood are still pumping out sequels to this day in those franchise, they suck yeah but they earn! Jurassic Park falls into this category it’s a classic but even my 8 year old loves it, plus it’s doing well on location from what I hear off pinside.

There’s also newer themes I think would earn great on location and still be brought up by older pin heads if the games kicked ass, John Wick (I don’t know a single hot blooded male that doesn’t like those movies) we are overdue another marvel of dc theme, fast and furious makes monster money add that too an all time great layout from Steve Ritchie and pinside would snap them up!

#5305 4 years ago
Quoted from Wakky:

Up to you.
But it's been mentioned here many times and common knowledge it's a NO.

Any particular reason Gary is so against it Wakky? He’s obviously ok with redoing themes from the past so is there a specific reason he’s against BTTF?

#5306 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Any particular reason Gary is so against it Wakky? He’s obviously ok with redoing themes from the past so is there a specific reason he’s against BTTF?

We can only imagine what traumatic happenings occured during his photoshoot.

d10612d4a432803575ae61819a293f85da109617 (resized).jpgd10612d4a432803575ae61819a293f85da109617 (resized).jpg
#5307 4 years ago

I’ve heard we won’t see another release in 2019 anyone else have different information?

#5308 4 years ago

Let them get caught up and suprise us in January 2020

#5309 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

yeah b/c we need more elvira, black knight and other snoozers geared toward 50+ older men.
Stranger things is exactly what we need. Time for stern to shake it up.

Wow! Us 50+ men have the money to buy these! I would never buy or play most of these suggestions, like Fortnight? Pokemon?

#5310 4 years ago

BTTF is no good because MJ Fox's agent queered the license. That's the long and short of it.

#5311 4 years ago
Quoted from dhawk:

Wow! Us 50+ men have the money to buy these! I would never buy or play most of these suggestions, like Fortnight? Pokemon?

Didn't you know, you have to target products to people you wish were customers, not your actual customers. Wish in one hand and shit in the other and all that..

The comment you responded to is typical of millennial entitlement - "screw reality, I have feelings."

#5312 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

There’s a balance that can be found that will interest both the older crowd and the younger crowd like myself. Munsters and Elvira are flat out old men themes, no one I know under 35 knows who either of them are.

With all due respect, I think you underestimate how many reruns of "The Munsters" were still being shown on TV in the 90s. I can vividly recall watching it on Nick at Nite or wherever. I'm 33, and I'm pretty sure even people a few years younger than me would still be familiar with Munsters if they had cable in the 90's. I also know who Elvira is, but admittedly, I mainly remember seeing her on cardboard stand-ups in the grocery store advertising beer around Halloween time!

#5313 4 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

With all due respect, I think you underestimate how many reruns of "The Munsters" were still being shown on TV in the 90s. I can vividly recall watching it on Nick at Nite or wherever. I'm 33, and I'm pretty sure even people a few years younger than me would still be familiar with Munsters if they had cable in the 90's. I also know who Elvira is, but admittedly, I mainly remember seeing her on cardboard stand-ups in the grocery store advertising beer around Halloween time!

Am 33. Can confirm.

#5314 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

BTTF is no good because MJ Fox's agent queered the license. That's the long and short of it.

Says who?

According to Kaminkow MJFs likeness just was to expensive, now that'd be a different story.
With Kaminkow designing the original Data East table and being the licensing mastermind (Beatles) nowadays I suppose he knows what he's talking about.

And as you know there's a pretty recent Zen Pinball table.

#5315 4 years ago

BonJovi ..... would be an amazing pin.

#5316 4 years ago
Quoted from Beez:

BonJovi ..... would be an amazing pin.

Bon Jovi is for girls lol hahaha

#5317 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Bon Jovi is for girls lol hahaha

My LUCI is not for girls...haha

#5318 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

I'd be ok with the guy that does Marty's voice in the tell tale video game. He's pretty good. They could give it the JP cartoon treatment and have Christopher Lloyd doing call outs.

#5319 4 years ago
Quoted from Royale-W-Cheese:

My LUCI is not for girls...haha

Huh? Isnt LUCI AC/DC?

#5320 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

I'd be ok with the guy that does Marty's voice in the tell tale video game. He's pretty good. They could give it the JP cartoon treatment and have Christopher Lloyd doing call outs.

The problem with copyright is the "likeness" portion. It's a gray area that invites litigation. And they have to litigate or they lose the claim. Doc is great, but the story is Marty.

#5321 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Didn't you know, you have to target products to people you wish were customers, not your actual customers. Wish in one hand and shit in the other and all that..
The comment you responded to is typical of millennial entitlement - "screw reality, I have feelings."

This is the kind of thinking that kills companies/industries. Ask Harley Davidson how only appealing to the boomers (that represented their primary market for the last 40 years or whatever) is going now.

Pinball could definitely use some more games aimed at the young blood, without fresh customers the hobby will eventually die. The big disconnect here is location players vs home buyers. I'm 26 and own a couple games, and usually play on location 2 or 3 nights a week. I'd say most of the guys actually pumping quarters into games at my local spots are in their 30's. I think Stern has things figured out pretty well though, if they reserve the old-man-only themes (like Elvira + '64 Beatles) for premium/LE pricing, and keep putting out killer pro games (like Deadpool and Jurassic Park) that appeal to a wider audience on location. I just think they could be reaching even further with the 'young' themes.

Also a Daft Punk pin really needs to happen. We've had dozens of classic rock themes, I don't see any reason why Daft Punk would be off the table (and pinball would fit the aesthetic of RAM very well). That'd be a day-1 preorder for me.

#5322 4 years ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

This is the kind of thinking that kills companies/industries. Ask Harley Davidson how only appealing to the boomers (that represented their primary market for the last 40 years or whatever) is going now.
Pinball could definitely use some more games aimed at the young blood, without fresh customers the hobby will eventually die. The big disconnect here is location players vs home buyers. I'm 26 and own a couple games, and usually play on location 2 or 3 nights a week. I'd say most of the guys actually pumping quarters into games at my local spots are in their 30's. I think Stern has things figured out pretty well though, if they reserve the old-man-only themes (like Elvira + '64 Beatles) for premium/LE pricing, and keep putting out killer pro games (like Deadpool and Jurassic Park) that appeal to a wider audience on location. I just think they could be reaching even further with the 'young' themes.
Also a Daft Punk pin really needs to happen. We've had dozens of classic rock themes, I don't see any reason why Daft Punk would be off the table (and pinball would fit the aesthetic of RAM very well). That'd be a day-1 preorder for me.

Daft Punk? Lol really?

I think you miss the point. The classic rock themes are based on rock legends with HUGE fan bases and cross generation lines.

#5323 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Daft Punk? Lol really?
I think you miss the point. The classic rock themes are based on rock legends with HUGE fan bases.

Yeah different scales for sure, but Daft Punk is pretty widely known and would attract a different customer than another Guns n Roses, Kiss, etc. Should we have a pin based on the show "Friends" cause it has a huge fan base? Purely going off numbers isn't a great way to choose the next theme IMO. Daft Punk's just a dream theme for me that I think would translate really well to a pin.

#5324 4 years ago

Yeah different scales for sure, but Daft Punk is pretty widely known and would attract a different customer than another Guns n Roses, Kiss, etc. Should we have a pin based on the show "Friends" cause it has a huge fan base? Purely going off numbers isn't a great way to choose the next theme IMO. Daft Punk's just a dream theme for me that I think would translate really well to a pin.

WTF is Draft Punk?

#5325 4 years ago

Daft Punk's just a dream theme for me that I think would translate really well to a pin

But I don't think it would have enough general appeal - like the rock band pins made so far. I like Daft Punk as well, but I just don't see that one happening.

It would sound good though

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#5326 4 years ago

I guess I just have never met anyone who really cared about Daft Punk. Thats not intended to be an insult...

#5327 4 years ago

What about a Tron "Daft Punk" edition, with the original layout, but updated Daft Punk music?

#5328 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

I guess I just have never met anyone who really cared about Daft Punk. Thats not intended to be an insult...

They've definitely got dedicated fans and have sold millions of albums, not on the scale of a classic rock band (though time + the fact people actually bought albums in the past always skew #'s) but still a very popular band with a large following. I was trying to think of something neutral enough for everyone to agree on, cause it needs to be something that interests the ~40 y/o crowd purchasing home machines along with location players. That's a hard line to walk and obviously the Pinside crowd disagrees with my choice

Okay, I've learned my lesson and now realize numbers are what makes a good pinball theme. Obviously Stern should be snapping up the rights to Gone With The Wind, the best selling movie of all time. Oooh yeah Clark Gable will get the kids lining up.

#5329 4 years ago

They've definitely got dedicated fans and have sold millions of albums, not on the scale of a classic rock band (though time + the fact people actually bought albums in the past always skew #'s) but still a very popular band with a large following. I was trying to think of something neutral enough for everyone to agree on, cause it needs to be something that interests the ~40 y/o crowd purchasing home machines along with location players. That's a hard line to walk and obviously the Pinside crowd disagrees with my choice
Okay, I've learned my lesson and now realize numbers are what makes a good pinball theme. Obviously Stern should be snapping up the rights to Gone With The Wind, the best selling movie of all time. Oooh yeah Clark Gable will get the kids lining up.

hahhaha!

I like Daft Punk, they have some good hits. I just wasnt aware that they have a big fan base.

I myself am not into music pins.

#5330 4 years ago

if they reserve the old-man-only themes (like Elvira + '64 Beatles) for premium/LE pricing, and keep putting out killer pro games (like Deadpool and Jurassic Park) that appeal to a wider audience on location. I just think they could be reaching even further with the 'young' themes.

Umm, I thought that is what's happening?

#5331 4 years ago

They should make a Rush Limbaugh pin.

#5332 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Umm, I thought that was what's happening?

Correct, that's why I said I think they've got this figured out, but they could still use more themes aimed at a younger audience. You cut off the first part of my sentence.

#5333 4 years ago

I guess it boils down to want an individual wants/likes for it to be considered a 'good theme'.

I think what Stern would consider a good theme would be:

1. Generally liked by most domestic and international players
2. Is very popular and/or familiar to many as pop culture movies, mainstream bands, etc.
3. They can secure a license - without too much expense
4. Extra credit: relevant to today's youth (but not required)

That would about cover it...toss in a good layout, art, and rules and there you go.

Does Daft Punk hit all those marks? I think it falls a bit short on 1 and 2 myself. Though I love what the did for TRON, and Get Lucky is still played a lot today. But most of their stuff aside from that isn't well known to most.

And us on Pinside will nitpick the hell out of their choices in all the above.

#5334 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I guess it boils down to want an individual wants/likes for it to be considered a 'good theme'.
I think what Stern would consider a good theme would be:
1. Generally liked by most domestic and international players
2. Is very popular and/or familiar to many as pop culture movies, mainstream bands, etc.
3. They can secure a license - without too much expense
4. Extra credit: relevant to today's youth (but not required)
That would about cover it...toss in a good layout, art, and rules and there you go.
Does Daft Punk hit all those marks? I think it falls a bit short on 1 and 2 myself. Though I love what the did for TRON, and Get Lucky is still played a lot today. But most of their stuff aside from that isn't well known to most.
And us on Pinside will nitpick the hell out of their choices in all the above.

This all makes sense. But as a counterpoint; they made a Munsters machine (and a cornerstone model at that). Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like that sets the bar pretty low.

#5335 4 years ago

This all makes sense. But as a counterpoint; they made a Munsters machine (and a cornerstone model at that). Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like that sets the bar pretty low.

Not as low as you might think. But yeah, I didn't much care for the theme, but I get its appeal.

#5336 4 years ago

Getting a license and all the supporting licenses is the key. I keep seeing diehard, but I would bet Bruce Willis would never sign off on it. Bttf is the same. The original de version was a joke. That's why you have horrible voice actors on GOTG and TWD. Ever wonder why the Beatles is only the early stuff? I bet that's all they had access too. Apple records probably wouldn't sign off on later music. I'm not a fan of Elvis or the pin but it was done right. The story I was told was Graceland contacted Stern and waived the license fees. I'm sure if who ever holds the rights to bttf contacted stern and wanted to do an anniversary machine with full support, they would jump at the opportunity.
I understand it's a speculation thread for fun. Just consider the whole picture and what a diehard game would be without Bruce Willis or Mad Max based on the original with out Mel Gibson on it. I dont think anyone wants those.

#5337 4 years ago

I'm all for some original themes like the old days! Time to screw the licenses and get creative I say! Jersey Jack did it with Dial In.
* I know collectors will never go for this.

#5338 4 years ago

Wow did we get off topic... haha

#5339 4 years ago

Next Stern will be a musical one.
My bids are on Steel Panther!

#5340 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Some Distributors encourage HUO and high end trade-ins. That is an easy way to replace a newish pin with a newer pin. Trade values offered are usually fair.[quoted image]

That's what I do, I actually get more back on a game that way than I do selling them here on Pinside. It's also more convenient because they just pickup the old game when they drop off the new game, so it's win-win all around.

#5341 4 years ago
Quoted from V8haha:

Wow did we get off topic... haha

You're right...C'mon Saturday Night Fever/ Bee Gees

#5342 4 years ago

Again...an’ I want...Animal!

90686EE9-F23F-45FF-8CB5-99E93C9638E1 (resized).jpeg90686EE9-F23F-45FF-8CB5-99E93C9638E1 (resized).jpeg
#5343 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

WTF is Draft Punk?

The music in Tron

#5344 4 years ago
Quoted from 2pupPinz:

Again...an’ I want...Animal![quoted image]

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

#5345 4 years ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Hahahahaa

#5346 4 years ago
Quoted from Wakky:

Up to you.
But it's been mentioned here many times and common knowledge it's a NO regarding BTTF. He said its DONE AND THAT'S IT! (yelling with annoyance)
If you see him at a trade show I dare you to ask again. But you will not like his reaction when he shoots you down !!

Meh. Gary can kick and scream to his little hearts desire. I have zero issues laying it out for him. I don’t work for him and could care less.

#5347 4 years ago

I'm convinced it is Stranger Things after Stern's Facebook post for Halloween. If it happens my wife and kids will be pushing me to buy one. That show is fairly popular among the kids in my area.

#5348 4 years ago
Quoted from Looprunner:

I'm convinced it is Stranger Things after Stern's Facebook post for Halloween. If it happens my wife and kids will be pushing me to buy one. That show is fairly popular among the kids in my area.

I’m just wondering if we will see something in 2019! I’m hoping so!

#5349 4 years ago
Quoted from V8haha:

I’m just wondering if we will see something in 2019! I’m hoping so!

I agree. I'm not a huge fan of the Jurassic Park movie but I love the game. I would like to play both and decide which one to purchase.

#5350 4 years ago

Stranger things is next and then TMNT.

TMNT will be the first stern to have network play.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens
Toys/Add-ons
$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser
Pinball Machine
$ 35.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life
Armor and blades
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades
Toys/Add-ons
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods
Decals
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1,099.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution
Toppers
$ 26.50
$ 8,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
$ 30.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy
Plastics
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
There are 46,141 posts in this topic. You are on page 107 of 923.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine/page/107?hl=sinistarrett and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.