(Topic ID: 132775)

Stern's Next Music Pin? (Can Vote For More Than 1)

By ZippyThePinhead

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 878 posts
  • 264 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by xefned
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What music theme pin would you like to see Stern release next?”

• Iron Maiden 315 votes
      22%
    • Led Zepplin 263 votes
      19%
    • Pink Floyd 232 votes
      17%
    • Rush 137 votes
      10%
    • Lynyrd Skynyrd 31 votes
      2%
    • Beatles 157 votes
      11%
    • Mötley Crüe 94 votes
      7%
    • Ozzy 89 votes
      6%
    • ZZ Top 83 votes
      6%

(Multiple choice - 1401 votes by 909 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

14079536_10209118330732203_3841343766395540128_n (resized).jpg
    image_(resized).png
    Walken-Cowbell_DS-300x229_(resized).jpg
    hqdefault_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).png
    boong-ga_02_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    download_(resized).jpg
    haters_(resized).jpg
    BT_(resized).jpg
    Alice-Cooper-Vs-Chaos_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    cannabis2011.jpg
    pink-floyd-the-wall.jpg
    kanye_neverheard.jpg
    beneath350.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider agent_hero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#835 8 years ago

Why not do a decades/generations of music/Billboard Hot 100 over the years kinda pin? Cherry pick popular, cheap licensed music from those that want in on such an endeavor and make it work. Start with original Hank Williams, work your way to Elvis, Beatles, 70's, 80's...just iconic songs of all genres over decades...like a quasi-jukebox pin. It would probably work best with technology to make the layout kinda fluid--like drop target X isn't marked by the face of Elvis Presley, but it's actually a target that appears differently based on the era or mode you are currently playing in. Maybe that's too high tech, too much Virtual Pin nonsense. Oh, and I demand a huge-ass WOZ style screen showing music videos as the action happens.

#842 8 years ago
    Quoted from nman:

Dear lord...that sounds just awful...

I think you're taking it a little too literally. Obviously, several of those specific artists would probably be cost-prohibitive. Everyone's music tastes are different, but say something like 90's would be a grunge band because that's was a game-changer for music of that era...so what's a middle of the road, popular 90's grunge band--Soundgarden? I'm not a music expert and I didn't do months of research, but that was a fairly popular band yeah? I don't think Nirvana would be possible, but if so, maybe them...for 2000's I dunno, U-2? Whoever had a worldwide draw and was still relevant in the charts for that decade. Current decade? Imagine Dragons?

Obviously, pop doesn't resonate well with pin collectors and like I said, I'm sure many will say the names I threw out suck and would make their ears bleed or whatever. It's just a for instance. I think it would have potential. It doesn't have to be THE #1 for that decade...it could be several musicians/bands that stayed relevant throughout each decade.

Another idea: something iconic like Woodstock. Make it into a multiball with the Jimi Hendrix guitar riffs or something. Maybe if it keeps going, you swap in another iconic act from that show and have a clip of their stuff. Instead of just one song from one band for each decade...kinda mash-up the iconic bits that make up the evolution of music. Maybe that's too grandiose, but it's how I would tie it all in. Also, instead of Elvis, would Sinatra/the Rat Pack work for 50's...or Fats Domino?

#844 8 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

If you are going early 90's grunge, you should pick a band that still tours and active. The best choice would be Pearl Jam. they were the best out of the grunge scene anyway, and still kick serious ass.

Duh...how did I forget them?! Good call.

#850 8 years ago
    Quoted from nman:

More of a general commentary on how poorly the most popular music over the years would go together. While it is exemplified by vid's Billboard list, I'm guessing that any sort of decades-spanning popular music pin would be far too varied to really be desirable to most people (which, I could be wrong, but I think was vid's point). Can you imagine stacking Bing Crosby and Taylor Swift modes? <shudder>
    A 90s grunge or 80s metal themed pin with various artists might be pretty cool and probably appeal to a lot of pinheads, including myself. Wouldn't want to be the one to negotiate the licensing on that beast though.
    Also, though I'm sure a lot of people probably think that the music of a Sinatra/Rat Pack pin might not fit well with pinball, it has the potential to be such a strong theme that I would have to strongly consider getting one...

The possibility for strange clashes of genres is why it would have to be more of an "Evolution of Rock" kind of theme...but for the Elvis era I'd go more with Motown since Elvis already has several pins. My thought for Sinatra would just be a random callout or something like him singing "NEWWWWW YORRRRRK"...which leads to like Beastie Boys or something random that has sung about/is from New York. I'm just thinking way out there to the point where none of any one song is being played a ton...is licensing a small clip cheaper compared to an entire album or song? The clip being played when you tilt has to be ol' Hank singing "yer cheatin' heart..."

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider agent_hero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-sterns-next-music-pin?tu=agent_hero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.