(Topic ID: 132775)

Stern's Next Music Pin? (Can Vote For More Than 1)

By ZippyThePinhead

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 877 posts
  • 263 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by ahdelarge
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What music theme pin would you like to see Stern release next?”

• Iron Maiden 314 votes
      23%
    • Led Zepplin 263 votes
      19%
    • Pink Floyd 230 votes
      17%
    • Rush 137 votes
      10%
    • Lynyrd Skynyrd 29 votes
      2%
    • Beatles 157 votes
      11%
    • Mötley Crüe 94 votes
      7%
    • Ozzy 87 votes
      6%
    • ZZ Top 81 votes
      6%

(Multiple choice - 1392 votes by 903 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 115 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

14079536_10209118330732203_3841343766395540128_n (resized).jpg
    image_(resized).png
    Walken-Cowbell_DS-300x229_(resized).jpg
    hqdefault_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).png
    boong-ga_02_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    download_(resized).jpg
    haters_(resized).jpg
    BT_(resized).jpg
    Alice-Cooper-Vs-Chaos_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    cannabis2011.jpg
    pink-floyd-the-wall.jpg
    kanye_neverheard.jpg
    beneath350.jpg

There are 877 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 18.
    #601 3 years ago

It can sit right by Met

#602 3 years ago

Zappa

#603 3 years ago

I'd rather see a Nazareth pin then any new hip-hop-pop throw away music of today.

Expect_No_Mercy.jpg

#604 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Every generation hates the last generation's music.
    Guys in their 40's hate the Beatles, kids today hate Metallica.
    You can find a few exceptions, but no one wants to identify with their grandfather's music.

In theory yeah you're right, maybe for true music lovers it's a bit different. I'm 30 and grew up loving Metallica, Nirvana etc., these days I still love what I always did but for some reason classic, undeniably good rock gets the most airplay in my house... the old stuff I didn't like when I was a teenager cause my parents did!

With regards to rock being dead, I think it still exists but publicizing your music these days is so easy with the internet that those real rock bands who stick to the ethos of honing their art in a garage and touring touring touring to get their break can't get any attention with kids who grow up getting their feed of music via you tube.

#605 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gerrard17:

With regards to rock being dead, I think it still exists but publicizing your music these days is so easy with the internet that those real rock bands who stick to the ethos of honing their art in a garage and touring touring touring to get their break can't get any attention with kids who grow up getting their feed of music via you tube.

But why don't ROCK bands get any internet traction?

Country musicians play in barns and garages, honing their skills, they get tons of publicity. They even get their own awards show (Country Music Awards)

Rappers rap at parties and dance halls, honing their skills, they get tons of publicity. They even get their own awards show (Hip Hop Awards Show).

There has not been a Rock Awards show since 1978.

#606 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gerrard17:

maybe for true music lovers

Ok that sounds a bit wanky reading back on it, in other words, if you appreciate music even if you're born 20 years after paranoid, ziggy stardust, piper at the gates, jailbreak etc. came out you're going to see that they are damn good records

#607 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

That's EXACTLY my point.
    Even an old white guy knows all the urban recording artists.
    Could your mom name ANY rock band after Nirvana?
    Yet, I bet she knows who Nicki Minaj is.
    Not a single iconic rock band in 28 years = rock is dead.

I read the poll and jumped to the last couple pages of the discussion. Are you advocating a hip-hop/r&b pin? I would be in for one in a heartbeat. We don't need a pin for every rock and roll band from the 70s and 80s.

Maybe it would bring a younger and different crowd into the pinball world. Look at how popular the Straight Outta Compton movie was. I think it would be a dud for most of the home pinball community, but it could be huge on location.

#608 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

But why don't ROCK bands get any internet traction?
    Country musicians play in barns and garages, honing their skills, they get tons of publicity. They even get their own awards show (Country Music Awards)
    Rappers rap at parties and dance halls, honing their skills, they get tons of publicity. They even get their own awards show (Hip Hop Awards Show).
    There has not been a Rock Awards show since 1978.

Maybe rock music is just stale, there is only so much 4 dudes can do with a guitars, bass and drums. And unfortunately for people making that music history is full of people who have done it so damn good you're going to struggle to match it.

Country music... god I'm oblivious, any comment I make would be uneducated is it some kind of genetic or geographic predisposition that keeps that genre alive?

Rap is still evolving I guess, staying fresh, incorporating new things and african american culture is a really popular thing and it goes hand in hand I guess. I don't know much about modern rap but can't argue that some rap albums are incredible, Illmatic just kicks ass.

#609 3 years ago
    Quoted from kporter946286:

Taylor Swift and Adele are not rock stars. I was explaining how ROCK was killed.

Right, but your explanations had nothing to do with Rock specifically. MP3s and loss of control of distribution was an excuse given by record companies after being too slow to adapt to electronic sales, but it remains a highly profitable industry dominated by pop stars just like it has always been.

#610 3 years ago

While I think Hip-hop is probably not a good demographic match for pinball hobbyists right now, I would love to see a good Tribe Called Quest pin someday down the road, or even a Missy Elliot pin could be pretty fierce.

I'd also love to see a rock pin from the 90's alt/grunge generation. Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Chilis, all would be welcome additions for me. Unlike hip-hop pins, though, these are probably safe bets for the next decade or two, presuming the hobby continues to thrive.

#611 3 years ago
    Quoted from Radagast:

While I think Hip-hop is probably not a good demographic match for pinball hobbyists right now, I would love to see a good Tribe Called Quest pin someday down the road, or even a Missy Elliot pin could be pretty fierce.

So no The Chronic pin yet?? I'll only play that one in my dreams I know.

#612 3 years ago

Queen....

#613 3 years ago

Here is the 1975 Rock Music Awards where Roger Daltrey, Keith Moon & Ann-Margaret accept their award for Tommy:

#614 3 years ago

Simply put, as a demograghic, who has more money. Metal heads or emos? I'll take Iron Maiden over Fall out boy lol.

#615 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Lets cut the nonsense, Motorhead is clearly the best choice for the next Stern music pin, great art, great fast music and their still out there.
    I'm in for a Ace of Spades LE

motorhead-wallpaper-9-754738.jpg

Out of nowhere you got this band and it is a legit call!!! Imagine the possibilities with Lemmies wart haba

#616 3 years ago

What? no Cannabis Corpse?

there are so many bands that were not in the poll I would love to see in a pin, but IMO either they-

a: aren't popular enough to make a good business case (Faith No More, GWAR, King Missile, N2Deep, Slayer, The Darkness, Phantogram, Cypress Hill)

or

b: Licensing fees are (probably) too high to make a good business case (Led Zep, Beatles, ABBA etc.)

I could get into some voulez vous multiball....

beneath350.jpg

#617 3 years ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Out of nowhere you got this band and it is a legit call!!! Imagine the possibilities with Lemmies wart haba

kanye_neverheard.jpg

#618 3 years ago

Pink Floyd and focused on The Wall.

pink-floyd-the-wall.jpg

#619 3 years ago

Thin Lizzy deserves serious consideration here. Certainly as iconic as any of the recent pinball themed bands. And their legendary status remains intact. Phil Lynott RIP.

#620 3 years ago

There are plenty of great contemporary rock bands. But what's the point of posting 'They should make an Elder pin' or 'Graveyard would make a cool pin' when nobody will know wtf you are talking about?

Stern needs to sell pins, and the people who buy NIB still listen to classic rock. So that's what Stern will make. But, it doesn't mean that there are no good contemporary rock bands. Quite the contrary, there is way more rock music being made now than in its heyday.

#621 3 years ago

Iggy Pop - Dog Food

#622 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tribonian:

The only (70s)/80s music pin I'd buy on theme alone is Blondie.

Blondie & Iggy Pop - Well, Did You Evah? (my apologies to Cole Porter)

#623 3 years ago

I saw Iggy with Gang of Four in about 1980. He rules!

#624 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I saw Iggy with Gang of Four in about 1980. He rules!

I once saw him open for The Stones, and Santana in 1981.

Talk about strange bedfellows...

Iggy Pop - The Passenger

#625 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Talk about strange bedfellows...

Like the Ramones opening for Black Sabbath on the Never Say Die and Rocket To Russia tours. That was interesting to say the least.

#626 3 years ago

Today that sounds like the epic double bill. But things were different back then.

#627 3 years ago

I think if tastefully done a Jethro Tull pin could be another winner. Not only did they pave the way for one of the most iconic bands ever (that would be them) but also won a Grammy for best hard rock artist in 1989 beating out some tough competion. I saw them once. They killed it.

#628 3 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

I'm an oldish white guy and have no f-ing clue who Drake and Nicki Minaj are. Does Jay-z even sing? jsut know him from Beyonce.

Consider yourself lucky, I wish I didn't.

#629 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I think if tastefully done a Jethro Tull pin could be another winner. Not only did they pave the way for one of the most iconic bands ever (that would be them) but also won a Grammy for best hard rock artist in 1989 beating out some tough competion. I saw them once. They killed it.
    » YouTube video

It beat ...And Justice For All as Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance. Can't really blame Tull for that, but that was one of the biggest groaners in Grammy history.

#630 3 years ago

They beat Metallica and I'm not sure if they released an album or not that year. That story goes way back as Tull got snubbed by the Grammys many years earlier. So redemption maybe... but that is beside the point as not many bands come even close to Tull's credentials. They were in a class by themselves. Which seems to work in pinball today.

#631 3 years ago

I heard from a reliable source it was Nickelback

#632 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

» YouTube video

Yea, hard rock against Metallica. Big time controversy and they should have just called it the lifetime achievement medal lol0

#633 3 years ago

Guess what: Jimi Hendrix is next

#634 3 years ago

Nickelback pin.... Oh, what a world!

#635 3 years ago
    Quoted from ntstlgl1970:

What? no Cannabis Corpse?

On my phone I read this as Cannibal Corpse and thought, "Hmmm....I don't have that album...."

Hilarious parody of Corpse.

cannabis2011.jpg

#636 3 years ago
    Quoted from rvdv:

Guess what: Jimi Hendrix is next

Rumor has it.....

#637 3 years ago

Hendrix
    The Ramones
    Spinal Tap

Those seem like great choices to me in terms of great songs, some thematic juice, potential for cool artwork, etc.

#638 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I like it! Muse has a similar sound to all their music but if you take in a little here and a little there, there is a lot of great stuff. Watching that entire concert at The Mayan recorded only a few months ago really sold me on this band as being masters of their craft and giving it everything they've got when they go on stage.

I lost all respect for Muse as a band when I saw them lip sync on SNL. Real bands don't lip sync in my view.

#639 3 years ago

Kraftwerk
    The Doors
    Beastie Boys
    James Brown
    Bob Marley
    The Smiths
    Jimi Hendrix
    Nirvana
    Michael Jackson

...I would like a Krautrock Pin.

#641 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

No, it's a pinball themed after Hendricks Gin

I think Hendrix was a whisky man. "See this top?.....flop..."

#642 3 years ago

Slayer - Repentless

#643 3 years ago

GG Allin

#644 3 years ago

Tom looks like evil santa - awesome

#645 3 years ago

Many of the ideas in this thread would work well , just checkout video slots featuring a dozen of artists listed in this thread to see how well or not the theme , music works in a cabinet..

#646 3 years ago

I'd like to know what the next music pin will be...but I'd really like to know where's the new code for the recently released music pins! KISS in particular!

#647 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZippyThePinhead:

I'd really like to know where's the new code for the recently released music pins! KISS in particular!

It always takes 2 years to get the 'final' code from Stern.

#648 3 years ago

I say The Beatles would be top choice. They say the license would be too costly , but I heard that about Kiss and guess what it was made.

#649 3 years ago

Well I would personally go with Rammstein. Great music, European Market, and lots of "hardcore" visuals to draw from for a more adult themed pin.

#650 3 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

I say The Beatles would be top choice. They say the license would be too costly , but I heard that about Kiss and guess what it was made.

It isn't. Look at all the past releases, they all have one thing in common. Elvis is the only exception, but it was years earlier and doesn't fit in with the rest of them anyhow.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    £ 12.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 14.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 224.99
    $ 90.00
    $ 45.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ...redshiftLED
    $ 16.95
    $ 34.50
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    The MOD Couple
    $ 399.95
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Vandelay Industries
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 20.00
    There are 877 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 18.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside