(Topic ID: 132775)

Stern's Next Music Pin? (Can Vote For More Than 1)

By ZippyThePinhead

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 878 posts
  • 264 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by xefned
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What music theme pin would you like to see Stern release next?”

• Iron Maiden 315 votes
      22%
    • Led Zepplin 263 votes
      19%
    • Pink Floyd 232 votes
      17%
    • Rush 137 votes
      10%
    • Lynyrd Skynyrd 31 votes
      2%
    • Beatles 157 votes
      11%
    • Mötley Crüe 94 votes
      7%
    • Ozzy 89 votes
      6%
    • ZZ Top 83 votes
      6%

(Multiple choice - 1401 votes by 909 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

14079536_10209118330732203_3841343766395540128_n (resized).jpg
    image_(resized).png
    Walken-Cowbell_DS-300x229_(resized).jpg
    hqdefault_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).png
    boong-ga_02_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    download_(resized).jpg
    haters_(resized).jpg
    BT_(resized).jpg
    Alice-Cooper-Vs-Chaos_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    cannabis2011.jpg
    pink-floyd-the-wall.jpg
    kanye_neverheard.jpg
    beneath350.jpg
    There are 878 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 18.
    #551 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The band Cage The Elephant has stated that with their next album they are going to prove rock and roll is not dead.

That sounds good to me.

I'd love to be blown away by a new album like I was when I first heard Maiden's Number of the Beast, Nick Cave's Abattoir Blues, Iggy Pop's New Values, The Pixie's Doolittle, The Clash self-titled, Metric's Live it Out, or the Stones Goat's Head Soup.

Quoted from o-din:

But yeah, who on here has heard of those guys except me.

If you turn on any Alternative radio station in OH, the only thing they play is Cage. Ain't No Rest for the Wicked is probably played every 1/2 hour, and Shake Me Down once a hour.

They are a super popular band, but they are not icons like The Stones, AC/DC, Maiden....or even the aforementioned Foghat.

#552 8 years ago

Cage the elephant would be sweet, but they are not big enough, but I think black keys, jack white would be sweet and big enough, or if it must be older sure nirvana/pearl jam would be awsome as well. nirvana pearl jam would be reliving my youth anyways and I think there are lots of pinheads in the same boat

#553 8 years ago
    Quoted from kporter946286:

There is just no money in Rock anymore so not really worth doing it IMO.

But Urban and Country music continues to sell well.

Everyone knows who Beyonce, Drake, Jay Z and Nicki Minaj are.

They are icons that even old white guys know.

If I asked any black guys my age to name me a rock band after Nirvana, do you think they could think of even a single band?

#554 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

But Urban music continues to sell well.
    If I asked any black guys my age to name me a rock band after Nirvana, do you think they could think of even a single band?

I know the names, but couldn't name one song by any of them. If I heard it, I could probably name the actual music they sampled/ripped off to talk over.

#555 8 years ago

I guess that is similar to Country music and their stars? I don't know why Country and R+B are thriving while Rock is dying. Maybe the younger boys just aren't as full of teenage angst as we were? Probably all that fluoride in the water calming young white males down! LOL

#556 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

If you turn on any Alternative radio station in OH, the only thing they play is Cage. Ain't No Rest for the Wicked is probably played every 1/2 hour, and Shake Me Down once a hour.

I hear that. It is not just Cage that makes it interesting, but the variety of other bands combined , none of which are super popular but in alt rock there is definitely strength in numbers.

#557 8 years ago
    Quoted from TOK:

I know the names, but couldn't name one song by any of them.

That's EXACTLY my point.

Even an old white guy knows all the urban recording artists.

Could your mom name ANY rock band after Nirvana?

Yet, I bet she knows who Nicki Minaj is.

Not a single iconic rock band in 28 years = rock is dead.

#558 8 years ago
    Quoted from libtech:

Cage the elephant would be sweet, but they are not big enough, but I think black keys, jack white would be sweet and big enough, or if it must be older sure nirvana/pearl jam would be awsome as well. nirvana pearl jam would be reliving my youth anyways and I think there are lots of pinheads in the same boat

Black Keys, Jack White, and even Muse all make great guitar oriented rock. But I think a pinball machine would benefit from a combination of several of these current bands and then it might work.

#559 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Even an old white guy knows all the urban recording artists.
    Could your mom name ANY rock band after Nirvana?

Probably Cold Play & KoL....but agreed the numbers are down.

#560 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

even the aforementioned Foghat.

I got your translite right here!

fool.jpgfool.jpg

#561 8 years ago
    Quoted from TOK:

I could probably name the actual music they sampled/ripped off to talk over.

How about the rock samples from Jay Z - 99 Problems?:

https://vimeo.com/110496766

#562 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I got your translite right here!
    fool.jpg

Man, a mustache like that could get you laid instantly back in the 70s.

AIDS really took the fun out of casual sex.....

#563 8 years ago

Wolfmother! Just got tickets for the 9:30 club.

Quoted from o-din:Black Keys, Jack White, and even Muse all make great guitar oriented rock. But I think a pinball machine would benefit from a combination of several of these current bands and then it might work.

Dont forget
    Wolfmother! Just got tickets for the 9:30 club

#564 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Man, a mustache like that could get you laid instantly back in the 70s.
    AIDS really took the fun out of casual sex.....

I hear ya brother! I've still got a lot of my vinyl including that one. I remember going to a stereo store and to test out some very large speakers the guy put on Slow Ride and cranked it up all the way.

#565 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I remember going to a stereo store and to test out some very large speakers the guy put on Slow Ride and cranked it up all the way.

I think most of the stereo stores died out when rock died out, lol.

It's funny that Slowride is always chosen from that album, but the title track, Save your Love, and Drive Me Home are better songs.

#566 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It's funny that Slowride is always chosen from that album, but the title track, Save your Love, and Drive Me Home are better songs.

That whole album's great. Plus some off their others like Drivin Wheel. I always liked that song.

#567 8 years ago

I've never listened to that album. I think Ill check it out now. And Vid...Unfortunately probably the biggest rock band since Nirvana has been Nickleback, which is really really sad.

#568 8 years ago

I mentioned how Aerosmith also had three great albums. You couldn't go to any party back then without Toys in the Attic, Rocks, or Get Your Wings being played over and over again. Too bad my 8 track player ate my copies.

#569 8 years ago

This is the band that I found was by far the best act in the last 5 years of Warped Tour. I saw them and was blown away.

#570 8 years ago

So I am listening to this Foghat Album and man can that bass player (Nick Jameson) play!!! Glad you put that post up, loving this album. Another thing I noticed is they released AT LEAST 1 album a year for 13 years STRAIGHT! You would never ever ever see that now. That is Rock and Roll, living the music, not taking 5 years off to make a Movie about your feelings (Metallica)

p.s. Holy Sh!t I just Wikied Nick Jameson and he has done so much in his career. He is even the Voice of Emperor Palpatine in the Star Wars The Clone Wars Cartoon!! I want to meet this dude.

#571 8 years ago

not taking 5 years off to make a Movie about your feelings (Metallica)

LOL

#572 8 years ago

RIP Lonesome Dave.

#573 8 years ago

Lets cut the nonsense, Motorhead is clearly the best choice for the next Stern music pin, great art, great fast music and their still out there.
    I'm in for a Ace of Spades LE

motorhead-wallpaper-9-754738.jpgmotorhead-wallpaper-9-754738.jpg

#574 8 years ago

Another thing I noticed is they released AT LEAST 1 album a year for 13 years STRAIGHT!

Gucci Mane puts out 13 albums a year, even when in jail!

#575 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Gucci Mane puts out 13 albums a year, even when in jail!

2pac has put out at least 11 albums AFTER he died.

fake_gangster.giffake_gangster.gif

#576 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I'm an oldish white guy and have no f-ing clue who Drake and Nicki Minaj are. Does Jay-z even sing? jsut know him from Beyonce.

#577 8 years ago

The internet and technology killed the rock star.

Tastes change, and youth today like Pop and Hip Hop artists... There's still plenty of money in music, for example Taylor Swift sold multiple dates per city with tickets nearing the $1k range per seat. Adele's latest album sold 5 million copies in 3 weeks. It's all manufactured music at this point anyway, primarily teenage-early 20's girls singing 3 minute songs with a hired background band containing no more than 30 seconds of non-repeating content. Catchy but transient tunes.

Clearchannel contributed to rock's demise when they bought every radio station in the United States and the few rock stations still allowed to play rock are stuck with decades-old top-40 rock in tight rotation... is anyone interested in listening to the same 3 songs from Nirvana's catalog every single day for the rest of your life? I was tired of them when they were still making music. Metal is relatively strong but remains low key as there are no stations (and never were) willing to play metal, nevermind the demise of MTV whose execs decided that it's too hard to count ratings with videos, so they have other content. Now my dial is stuck on a Hip Hop station for the variety, and I have to spend a fair amount of time and money to track down lesser known contemporary metal bands. The good news is that older metal bands find it worth while to continue to make music and tour, and it doesn't cost Taylor Swift money to see them.

Kids hardly know that pinball exists, and have no real attachment to artists with throw-away music, so no modern artist/band fits the mold. Enter super hero themes... kids dig them, so it works for pinball.

#578 8 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

I'm an oldish white guy and have no f-ing clue who Drake and Nicki Minaj are.

538 MILLION views :

Drake and Nicki:

#579 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Too bad my 8 track player ate my copies.

I guess if I wanted to relive my misspent youth I could buy it back-

ebay.com link: AEROSMITH Rocks 8 Track Tape 1976

#580 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

538 MILLION views :
    » YouTube video

Nope still doesn't ring a bell.

#581 8 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

Tastes change, and youth today like Pop and Hip Hop artists... There's still plenty of money in music, for example Taylor Swift sold multiple dates per city with tickets nearing the $1k range per seat. Adele's latest album sold 5 million copies in 3 weeks. It's all manufactured music at this point anyway, primarily teenage-early 20's girls singing 3 minute songs with a hired background band containing no more than 30 seconds of non-repeating content. Catchy but transient tunes.
    Clearchannel contributed to rock's demise when they bought every radio station in the United States and the few rock stations still allowed to play rock are stuck with decades-old top-40 rock in tight rotation... is anyone interested in listening to the same 3 songs from Nirvana's catalog every single day for the rest of your life? I was tired of them when they were still making music. Metal is relatively strong but remains low key as there are no stations (and never were) willing to play metal, nevermind the demise of MTV whose execs decided that it's too hard to count ratings with videos, so they have other content. Now my dial is stuck on a Hip Hop station for the variety, and I have to spend a fair amount of time and money to track down lesser known contemporary metal bands. The good news is that older metal bands find it worth while to continue to make music and tour, and it doesn't cost Taylor Swift money to see them.
    Kids hardly know that pinball exists, and have no real attachment to artists with throw-away music, so no modern artist/band fits the mold. Enter super hero themes... kids dig them, so it works for pinball.

Taylor Swift and Adele are not rock stars. I was explaining how ROCK was killed.

#582 8 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Does Jay-z even sing?

He kind of talks the lyrics like David Lee Roth:

https://vimeo.com/110496766

#583 8 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Nope still doesn't ring a bell.

Can't help you then....

#584 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I guess if I wanted to relive my misspent youth I could buy it back-
    ebay.com link » Aerosmith Rocks 8 Track Tape 1976

I was up in London Ontario and there was a shop that had tons of classic rock 8 tracks brand new, still wrapped.

$2 Canadian dollars each.

#585 8 years ago

Taylor Swift and Adele are not rock stars. I was explaining how ROCK was killed.

They aren't but these guys are.

#586 8 years ago

After reading this I miss the late 70's punk scene Ramones/Sex Pistols/Clash. Another great time for me and music was the mid 70's Aerosmith/Thin Lizzy/Bowie. Music changed some in the 80's but the early 80's were still a fun time for music Devo/Stray Cats/Gary Numan. I wasn't really into the hair band 80's music and for me rock died out after the grunge/punk early 90's. The last 2 great bands are Social Distortion and Rancid.

#587 8 years ago

Journey definitely make it a 'Rock of Ages' :party:Theme There problem solved. :liar:Next!!

#588 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jimmyd044:

The last 2 great bands are Social Distortion and Rancid.

The Dwarves are the greatest band in the world.

34 THOUSAND views

#589 8 years ago

The Dictators - Stay With Me

#590 8 years ago

Muse sounds great! If you like them you might like my band. Check out this track.

#591 8 years ago

So my sister and her boyfriend (age 22) said the other day that rocks dead and that there aren't any good bands left. They Fancy themselves as rockabilly kids, so they are obsessed with elvis etc. It got me thinking and I thought I would post my quick rant. Someone said here that "internet killed the rock star". Although that might be right, the internet and the vast amount of information that is available at everyones fingertips is amazing. At a click of a mouse or whatever, I can listen to almost any band I want from almost anywhere in the world. I think that having this information available has shaped bands in a way that was unheard of just 15 years ago. If you really look for non mainstream bands what you will find is truly amazing. There are so many talented bands out there now you just have to find them. Bands these days are combining genres in ways that really hasn't been done before. For example there is a band out there combining jam and metal. So.. instead of just thinking that rocks dead and that there is no good music being created these days go out and find something new. I think as we get older its easy to dismiss the fact that good music has been made since our heyday, but just remember that our music inspires others to do the next great thing.

#592 8 years ago

I think it's best to avoid popular culture / music and has been for awhile, I feel sorry for my kids.

#593 8 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

So.. instead of just thinking that rocks dead and that there is no good music being created these days go out and find something new.

I am too lazy...

#594 8 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

Someone said here that "internet killed the rock star".

Why did it not kill the Rap or Country star?

They are bigger than ever despite the internet .

#595 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gerrard17:

I think it's best to avoid popular culture / music and has been for awhile, I feel sorry for my kids.

Agreed! I can only imagine mainstream garbage that will be around when I have kids.

#596 8 years ago

Well here is that metal jam band I mentioned.

#597 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Why did it not kill the Rap or Country star?
    They are bigger than ever despite the internet .

The only thing I can think of is this. Rock is built around Albums and Country and R+B/Pop are built around Singles. People don't have time or patience to sit through a 60 min rock album, but they do have time to click a button for $0.99 for 1 track which is typically all Country, Rap and Pop are worth.

#598 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jimmyd044:

After reading this I miss the late 70's punk scene Ramones/Sex Pistols/Clash. Another great time for me and music was the mid 70's Aerosmith/Thin Lizzy/Bowie.

I remember that time well. There was a lot of resistance from many of the old school rockers when punk and new wave came on the scene, but later on they all sort of mixed together. I always liked anything that was edgy. Not always mainstream, but definitely music that would make you think.

You mentioned Social D. I went to school with those guys and one of the reasons I accepted punk early on.

#599 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gerrard17:

Every generation hates the last generation's music.

Guys in their 40's hate the Beatles, kids today hate Metallica.

You can find a few exceptions, but no one wants to identify with their grandfather's music.

#600 8 years ago

Muse sounds great! If you like them you might like my band. Check out this track.

I like it! Muse has a similar sound to all their music but if you take in a little here and a little there, there is a lot of great stuff. Watching that entire concert at The Mayan recorded only a few months ago really sold me on this band as being masters of their craft and giving it everything they've got when they go on stage.

There are 878 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-sterns-next-music-pin/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.