(Topic ID: 27075)

What wide body pin is the fastest for (ball movement & ramps, etc)?

By Jackontherocks

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Xscrapiron
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What wide body pin is the fastest?”

• Twilight Zone 6 votes
      6%
    • The Adams Family 0 votes
    • Guns N' Roses 3 votes
      3%
    • Demolition Man 52 votes
      49%
    • Attack From Mars 4 votes
      4%
    • Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure 5 votes
      5%
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation 26 votes
      24%
    • The Simpsons Pinball Party 2 votes
      2%
    • Other 9 votes
      8%

(107 votes)

#1 11 years ago

I was thinking of a TZ as my first pin. As much as I remember liking this challenging different kind of wide body game I think that if I pick one up as my first and only pin I am going to miss the fast pace action and movement of the balls like other pins (whether it have two, three or more flippers, more ramps, or if it were a normal width game) or other wide body pins which seem to have or feel when I play them. For example to me GNR and DM just to name a few seem to feel as a faster pace to the game for wide body pins. To me TZ feels more like IJ or STTNG as far as a challenging game but with slower ball movement. Don’t get me wrong I enjoy these wide body games but maybe in the end I truly enjoy faster paced normally sized challenging games like LOTR, SM, MB, MM, etc.

#2 11 years ago

TAF, AFM and TSPP are not widebodies. DM is probably the fastest widebody, followed by JD.

#3 11 years ago

I think you need to redo your poll to exclude the pins above that are not actually wide body pins.

#4 11 years ago

You would be surprised. Attack from Mars, Addams Family, and Simpsons all feel like really narrow widebodies.

#5 11 years ago

DM no brainer.

#6 11 years ago

It also happens to be fun as hell.

EDIT: And as a party game you can have noobs try and guess what Snipes is saying for, "Wonder if I can play the accordion too?"

#7 11 years ago

FWIW GNR is actually a standard width playfield in a wide body cabinet, and during 6-ball multiball with magnets throwing balls around it's the fastest. JD is fast because it keeps a lot of play right up front with the dead world is taking up a good portion of the playfield. DM may be overall the fastest because because of all the ramps.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

DM is probably the fastest widebody, followed by JD.

Exactly.

Depending on how they are set up, JD can be a much more dangerous game than DM, which makes the ball time lower. My JD, which is set up to be ultra nasty always, has had about a 50 second ball time for the past three years, which includes being used in two tournaments with great players. You can set it up where most of the shots are dangerous if you aren't paying complete attention.

STTNG would probably be next. TZ is the slowest of them all, whenever I play one I feel like half the time is waiting for the ball to get somewhere that I can shoot it.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from pin-tastic:

I think you need to redo your poll to exclude the pins above that are not actually wide body pins.

Let me know how and I will. Maybe it just feels like these other games are wide body with all the stuff crammed in them.

#10 11 years ago

DM is current king, until WOZ shows up...

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

You would be surprised. Attack from Mars, Addams Family, and Simpsons all feel like really narrow widebodies.

I agree and that's just why I included them or what I was thinking. At least these games seem to fit in the same category for some strange reason.

#12 11 years ago

I ran into a Taf last year and seemed like a widebody allmost but is not and my Baywatch I had was much wider then Ngg siting next to it strange

#13 11 years ago

DM. great flow, and about 100 yards of metal ramps

#14 11 years ago

Wow! DM has 52% of the votes right now.

#15 11 years ago

Interesting that games like DM that are wide bodies play like narrow bodies due to the toys etc in the game.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

They really do feel like narrow wide bodies! (aka. regular bodies)

lol

I'm betting this is some of that Jayhawkai sarcasm

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from tpn2011:

I ran into a Taf last year and seemed like a widebody allmost but is not and my Baywatch I had was much wider then Ngg siting next to it strange

Baywatch used some kind of thinner sides on the playfield to give a little bit more width, but used a standard size cabinet.

#18 11 years ago

Not even all the wide body's are listed wtf
    But a bunch of non wide body's are?

Roadshow!

#19 11 years ago

DM is a great game and has great replay ability, RS isn't really a fast kind of game IMO, like TZ I too felt like I'm waiting for the ball a a lot.
    Never played a JD but DM has been a pin that's stayed around in my collection the longest.

#20 11 years ago

TAF, AFM and TSPP need to be replaced by Popeye, Roadshow and Batman Forever... not that Popeye would get any votes, but at least it fits the poll

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

FWIW GNR is actually a standard width playfield in a wide body cabinet

Have to disagree here, GNR is a widebody PF.

#22 11 years ago

DM By a Fur long !! ,,,,, and Yes , You 4-got Popeye .. GNR is a Wide 1 tooo .. JD is K-Azz also

IJ is More of an Adventure ,,, & TZ is Just too Cool !! I Miss it .. and STTNG Sucked , ( MOP )

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

Have to disagree here, GNR is a widebody PF.

Borg designed GNR as a standard width layout. When they came to him and requested it to be a widebody, he added he added a shooter lane on the left that took up the extra width rather than re-design the playfield.

So, yes it is technically a widebody, but for all practical purposes, it is not.

#24 11 years ago

Dm followed closely by JD.

#25 11 years ago

a lot of factors go into speed. ex - max pitch (extra steep/custom in some cases), clear coated vs non coated pf, upgraded and/or custom flipper coils, playfield design, short shots/obstacles vs long shots, open playfield design.

you can pretty much customize any of those pins to get the speed you want. only problem is, your balls times/game times are going to be reduce drastically when you start "hot rodding" for speed. i got all my pins setup like that. i like it. others don't. sometimes it's over before you know it.

all those games have nothing on some of the newer sterns (im,acdc). sterns speed is unmatched right now, especially when you start "hot rodding" and upgrading the coils. makes all those games look/feel clunky and sluggish.

it's like comparing a 90's camero to a 2012 vette.

#26 11 years ago

It sure as s**t ain't Popeye.

DM is more of less known as the flow king compared to every machine.

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

Interesting that games like DM that are wide bodies play like narrow bodies due to the toys etc in the game.

DM also plays more like a narrow body since like 1/4th of the left side of the playfield is taken up with space that you can't actually hit. The actual playable space is probably the same or smaller than a lot of other pins.

And I like DM quite a bit, but that car crash area takes up a LOT of space.

#28 11 years ago

Well, no ramps, but Future Spa may be the fastest wide body ever made.

#29 11 years ago

Popeye!!!

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

he added he added a shooter lane on the left that took up the extra width rather than re-design the playfield.

The feed for the upper left flipper goes right under that ramp, and to the left side of the cabinet.
    Right orbit goes all the way right too.
    And to me, it plays like a widebody. By description, it IS a widebody.
    Never heard the Borg story, but you will never convince me GNR is NOT a widebody.

#31 11 years ago

I've got 4 wms widebodies right now my ratings of the 4 below.

DM is the has the smoothest feel with all the shots except the car crash that come nicely back to the flippers.

JD can get some great speed with the upper playfield loops, its also the most brutal of the 4 but I just picked it up so there is a learning curve.

IJ can get going real fast if your shots are on. I've strung 6 ramp shots together and nailed the lock shot for the dog fight award. Also the loops can get going crazy fast with the gates up. I think 3 in a row is my max

RS is the slowest, but does have very nice ramp flow when you can string the shots together and the divertors change the flipper feeds

I'll pick dm for the poll but all are great if set up correctly

#32 11 years ago

Afm is by far the fastest of these games. But it's not getting votes because its not a wide body. Of the wide bodies the fastest are ordered:

1) GnR
    2) Demoman
    3) sttng
    ----- (the rest aren't really very fast moving)
    4) JD
    5) ij
    6) road show
    7) Popeye
    8) Tz

Tspp is not fast moving at all. Neither is TAF.

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

TAF, AFM and TSPP are not widebodies. DM is probably the fastest widebody, followed by JD.

+10

DM, IJ, JD, GNR, STTNG, TZ.

Most of the speed on IJ, JD and GNR comes from close shots or post bricks. (still fun just clarifying MO)

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Most of the speed on IJ, JD and GNR comes from close shots or post bricks.

For JD, you can hit the upper small loop and really get the ball going, or the other upper slightly larger loop and really get the ball moving too. That's why I'd put it above those other two.

1 year later
    #35 10 years ago

Bump for op in other post to see.

#36 10 years ago

for an older game I would say F2K is pretty fast, it has those extra slingshots that help shoot the ball around, it's fast enough anyway where I had the ball jump over the flippers more times than I can count.

#37 10 years ago

Guns N Roses is fast and fun. Wish there was one near me.

#38 10 years ago

These are the Widebodies I know of:

Race Way

Flying Turns

Derby Day

4 Aces

Planets

Zodiac

Winner

The Atarians

Time 2000

Airborne Avenger

Ice Mania

Middle Earth

Contact

Space Riders

Pokerino

Future Spa

Road Runner

Stellar Wars

Superman

Paragon

Genie

Laser Ball

Howzat!

Shark

Roller Disco

Big Game

Space Invaders

The Amazing Spider-Man

Cheetah

Circus

Hotdoggin’

Panthera

The Empire Strikes Back

Scorpion

Counterforce

Algar

Flight 2000

James Bond 007

Star Race

Time Line

Freefall

Force II

Mars God of War

Pink Panther

Embryon

Split Second

Volcano

Black Hole

Iron Maiden

Viper

Eclipse

Orbitor 1

Haunted House

Devil’s Dare

Caveman

Rocky

Spirit

Striker

Punk!

4X4

Goin’ Nuts

Krull

Q*Bert’s Quest

Af-Tor

Twilight Zone

Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure

Judge Dredd

Star Trek: The Next Generation

Demolition Man

Popeye Saves the Earth

WWF Royal Rumble

Guns N’ Roses

Red & Ted’s Road Show

Batman Forever

#39 10 years ago

Superman is pretty fast when shopped and waxed.

#40 10 years ago

JD was pretty damn fast when I had it.Played DM a bunch and its not far behind

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-wide-body-pin-is-the-fastest-for-ball-movement-ramps-etc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.