stfu.gif
speedy-gonzales-movie-donald-trump (resized).jpg
IMG_4109 (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20240319-093421 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240318_220904_Chrome (resized).jpg
Unknown (resized).jpeg
2024-03-18_09-56-44 (resized).jpg
shot0037 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zombywoof.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1279 6 years ago

I dug this guy out of my mother's attic a little while ago, a Christmas present from 40 years back. Surprisingly enough, I put some batteries in and it fired right up. I could still remember how to program it: "Forward 4, Right 45, Hold 1, Fire Cannons 3, Reverse 1..." Hell, the electronic sounds are better than what's in my Paragon, and that came out a couple of years later.

BTW, my cat was not amused.

Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 11.58.11 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-01-24 at 11.58.11 AM (resized).png

1 year later
#1390 5 years ago

I came across this while cleaning out the attic of my childhood home. Didn't Lucile Ball do the Pivot Pool commercials?

Pivot_Pool (resized).pngPivot_Pool (resized).png
#1392 5 years ago

Apparently she advertised for several Milton Bradley games. I found this on eBay. My box does not have her image, but I vaguely remembered the commercials. Now that I see the golf game, I think I may have had or played that, too.

363A21EF-A99A-4105-ACD0-B77444F827A4 (resized).jpeg363A21EF-A99A-4105-ACD0-B77444F827A4 (resized).jpeg
#1393 5 years ago

Dupe

4 months later
#1407 4 years ago

I had the Cox gas powered van and the P51 Mustang. You were supposed to run them tethered, but yeah, I let mine loose, too. They did not survive my childhood, so I had to find pix on the 'net.

iu (resized).jpegiu (resized).jpegiu-1 (resized).jpegiu-1 (resized).jpeg
#1432 4 years ago

Does anyone remember Jumping Jacks? We used to go down to the dock and light them, wait a second, and throw them into the water. They’d ignite just before going under. Then they would shoot out of the water and bounce several times off of the water’s surface. You never knew if they were going to come right back at you. It was a rush!

9 months later
#1811 4 years ago

I loved my Crosman 760 Pumpmaster. It was a mid 60s model, back when they were still made with real wood and steel. I had inherited it from my older brother. By the time it got to me, he was toting an M16 for Uncle Sam.

Not my photoNot my photo

3 months later
#1894 3 years ago

That Power Shop looks awesome! I never saw one of those. What era, 60s?

#1897 3 years ago

Does anybody remember the Skilcraft line? I had both of these. Bunsen burner, test tubes, chemical reagents, what could possibly go wrong?!? It's a wonder I didn't grow up to be another Walter White.

Chem Set (resized).pngChem Set (resized).png

Microscope (resized).pngMicroscope (resized).png

#1932 3 years ago
Quoted from Silverballer:

I would hang out at Sears playing what I thought was Atari 2600

I did that a lot, too. There was a mall within walking distance of my house. Sears was one of the anchor stores. I played their Atari 2600 knockoff, and later the Mattel Intellivison floor demos. I spent a good amount of time on the TRS-80s at the Radio Shack, too.

This was my first home console in 1977:

Magnavox-Odyssey-2000-FL (resized).jpgMagnavox-Odyssey-2000-FL (resized).jpg

Table tennis (Pong), handball, hockey. (There is a pretty good case that Atari stole Pong from Ralph Baer/Magnavox).

Then in '78 I got this for Christmas. Most of my friends got the Atari 2600. I think my dad felt like this was a better option because it had a keyboard and was a rudimentary 'computer'. The problem was that there was little third-party development like there was for Atari, and the platform never took off.

2880px-Magnavox-Odyssey-2-Console-Set (resized).jpg2880px-Magnavox-Odyssey-2-Console-Set (resized).jpg

Finally, a couple of years later, I got the Commodore Vic-20. Who else remembers loading programs from cassette tape?

Commodore-VIC-20-FL (resized).jpgCommodore-VIC-20-FL (resized).jpg

#1937 3 years ago

I'll let this image stand for the countless models I built as a kid.

Testors (resized).pngTestors (resized).png

I sort of wish I hadn't blown most of them up with firecrackers and M-80s.

#1938 3 years ago

Do you remember when you'd get a trading card with your loaf of Wonder Bread?

Wonder Sports (resized).pngWonder Sports (resized).png

Wonder Star Wars (resized).pngWonder Star Wars (resized).png

#1939 3 years ago

Everybody was Truckin'...

Truckin (resized).pngTruckin (resized).png

#1940 3 years ago

...and Donruss had Super Freaks Baseball in '73.

Super Freaks (resized).pngSuper Freaks (resized).png

#1969 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

[quoted image]

I had that poster, and a matching notebook. Can you imagine what might happen if a little kid showed up for grade school with that notebook today?!?

#1971 3 years ago

Another favorite.

My Dad had me playing from a very early age, but these chessmen had been around the house since the 50s. They are the original bakelite ones with weighted, felt bottoms. You can tell the originals by their color, which is sort of cream and chocolate. The later plastic reproductions are stark black and white.

Enri Chessmen (resized).pngEnri Chessmen (resized).png

#2029 3 years ago

I recently had to clean out my boyhood home in order to sell it. I found numerous 'artifacts' that brought back some fond memories.

This was my first baseball glove. It got me through tee-ball. I played for the Asteroids (all of the teams had space related names).

Glove 1 (resized).pngGlove 1 (resized).png

Glove 2 (resized).pngGlove 2 (resized).png

#2030 3 years ago

As a little tyke, I really loved to color...

Ape Color 1 (resized).pngApe Color 1 (resized).png

Ape Color 2 (resized).pngApe Color 2 (resized).png

#2032 3 years ago

Mego made those. I had a couple of the apes, too. For Star Trek, I had the whole bridge crew and the Enterprise play set with the transporter. I don’t know for sure what happened to mine, but I suspect my nephew got them. I know he got my original Star Wars figures. I should send the little bastard a bill for current value! (Jk)

3 weeks later
#2073 3 years ago
Quoted from edward472:

I was the yoyo kid
[quoted image]

Me Too! I still have a couple of Duncans. I've been teaching my granddaughter. It's a serious responsibility to impart these essential life skills to the younger generation.

Duncans (resized).pngDuncans (resized).png

2 weeks later
#2132 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

got in trouble for sticking them all over my bedroom door.

Been there, done that.

closet door (resized).pngcloset door (resized).png

The one about keeping sex and violence off tv, said "and back on the streets where it belongs". You gotta love Mad magazine.

2 weeks later
#2206 3 years ago

I remember Looney Tunes promo glasses at Hardee's, but I'm sure other chains had them, too.

Looney Tunes Glasses (resized).pngLooney Tunes Glasses (resized).png

#2250 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

My uncle used to creep me out with his Ouija board.

Quoted from pinwiztom:

We had this instead

I've still got them both! I'll throw in a vintage 8 Ball for good measure.

Paranormal (resized).pngParanormal (resized).png

You can tell the vintage 8 Balls from the new ones by the way the 8 is printed at an angle. The new ones are printed right on top.

#2283 3 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Also, anyone remember these?

I read a bunch of combat comics, too. I’m certain that I had that issue of Sgt. Rock, and probably some of the others. Do you remember DC’s GI Combat? It had the stories of the Haunted Tank. In those, the ghost of J.E.B. Stuart acted as a guardian over a WWll US tank crew. I remember one issue where the ghost got all pissed that the crew had switched to a Sherman after their Stuart tank got flamed. Fun stuff! I wish I still had those old books.

#2289 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I stole a bunch of his Playboys

Now that you mention it, I'm not sure how stolen Playboys haven't made this list yet. They were always a childhood favorite!

This is the December 1972 issue. It even has a pretty cool article on pinball (because we all know you only read Playboy for the articles ). Too bad the Fireball gets lost in the centerfold.

Playboy 12-72 (resized).pngPlayboy 12-72 (resized).png

Pinball article (resized).pngPinball article (resized).png

Fireball centerfold (resized).pngFireball centerfold (resized).png

#2333 3 years ago
Quoted from mtn-:

Nice one! I would love if you could scan that pinball article and email me.. I dont think I could ever track down a 1972 issue of Playboy in Norway just to read that article.

I just posted snapshots of the whole article over in Dennis' pinball in old magazines thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-articles-in-old-magazines-and-newspapers/page/3#post-5917927

#2384 3 years ago

My dad used to refer to them as the five and dime, too. While I was growing up that meant the local Woolworth, complete with lunch counter.

#2416 3 years ago

Does anyone remember these old gyroscopes? I've somehow managed to hold on to this one for close to fifty years.

Gyroscope A (resized).pngGyroscope A (resized).png

Gyroscope B (resized).pngGyroscope B (resized).png

#2443 3 years ago

Here's another survivor. This Buddy L usually resides on my hearth. At over two feet long, it's pretty big for a toy truck. It was a hand-me-down from an older cousin.

Gas Truck (resized).pngGas Truck (resized).png

#2496 3 years ago

Not a toy per se, but my local horror movie host, Dr. Madblood, just celebrated his 45th year with a Halloween special. The movie was 1964's The Last Man on Earth, featuring Vincent Price. Not a great film (Madblood's never were), but eeriely appropriate for the given global situation. I stayed up late on Saturdays throughout my youth to watch these B-grade movies and bungling skits. What a long strange trip it's been!

Here's a vintage pic:

Dr_Madblood (resized).jpgDr_Madblood (resized).jpg

#2559 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Remember the "Mechanical Servants" vending machines?

When I was young we would often drive up to Richmond to visit relatives. There was a Stukey’s along the way that we would stop at. They had the Mechanical Servants machine in the men’s room. Out in the store proper, they had a rack that had stuff like smoke bombs, sparklers, ‘snakes’, and other assorted items to separate a boy from his money. I remember buying some Mexican Jumping Beans on one trip.

2 weeks later
#2725 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

the World Book Encyclopedia

We had the red set of World Books from the 50s, with annual update volumes through ‘63. I loved the illustrations of ships, planes, trains, trees, etc. I just cleaned out and sold my childhood home this past summer. I was going to donate them, but my older brother decided he just couldn’t part with the old encyclopedia.

#2759 3 years ago

Dungeons and Dragons!

I got in on D&D really early. My friend had the three original soft-bound rulebooks by Gygax and Arneson. We started with those. Then, I got the original Basic boxed set from TSR for my birthday. I bought the first edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons hard-bound rulebooks as they were published. That's the format we ultimately settled on, everything through Unearthed Arcana. I looked at the second edition rules when they first came out, but decided I preferred the originals. I ran one campaign that lasted for several years. It was like a part time job being a dungeon master for a big group.

Basic (resized).jpegBasic (resized).jpeg

I spent countless hours painting figures. I still have hundreds of them. Here are a few random examples.

Figures (resized).jpegFigures (resized).jpeg

#2761 3 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Back in college (80s), everyone I knew of who was into it had hygiene such that I didn't want to be around them, as I recall.

I know the stereotype, but that wasn't us. Most of us guys had girlfriends, and there were always a few young women in our group. Nerdy, maybe, but clean.

#2770 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Anybody ever have the Glow-In-The-Dark Frisbee? I had one, but I can’t recall ever really throwing it outside in the dark. Who the hell throws Frisbees around at night time?

I had one of those glow Frisbees. It didn’t glow very brightly. It was fine for tossing around at 20’ or so, but you couldn’t do the long, fast throws you might do in the daytime.

#2772 3 years ago

Speaking of Frisbees, are there any other disk golfers around here? Bayville Farms Park was among the earliest U.S. courses. I remember my dad (an avid regular golfer) taking me out there for a few rounds in the mid-late seventies. We didn't realize at the time that there were dedicated disks, and were just throwing regular Wham-Os.

That banged up Raven is a prototypeThat banged up Raven is a prototype

#2790 3 years ago

Here's a similar product, just using using even older tech:

IMG_5541 (resized).jpegIMG_5541 (resized).jpeg

IMG_5543 (resized).jpegIMG_5543 (resized).jpeg

IMG_5542 (resized).jpegIMG_5542 (resized).jpeg

IMG_5544 (resized).jpegIMG_5544 (resized).jpeg

#2791 3 years ago

Speaking of Planet of the Apes, does anyone remember theses scenes in a bottle model kits? I had a few of the Apes ones, and a Jaws one, too.

Apes in a bottle (resized).jpgApes in a bottle (resized).jpg

#2871 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

So much silly fun to go into Spencers, and press all the buttons, and wind up all the teeth!!

Ah, Spencer’s. We would go in and spray a bunch of the fart-in-a-can spray and quickly exit.

#2952 3 years ago
Quoted from EdisonArcade:

Moveable eyes and "Kung Fu Grip"
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I had Joe with the Kung Fu Grip, but his eyes did not move. He did have a voice box in his chest. You'd pull the cord and he'd say things like "All for one, and one for all!"

1 week later
#2999 3 years ago

I meant to post this one back in November. Who'd of thought you could make a really fun game based on the electoral college? It sometimes gets pretty cutthroat, just like the real deal.

Landslide (resized).pngLandslide (resized).png

#3012 3 years ago

Here are a couple that were especially important to me. They both provided my young self with the freedom of movement that led to many adventures.

First is the Ross Snapper BMX bike. This isn’t my photo, but is is the exact same model I got for my birthday. Yellow first gen Tuff Wheels, rat trap pedals, the works. Almost immediately I stripped the chain guard, reflector mounts, and anything else I could to reduce weight. I added some cromoly parts later, but with those wheels and that frame, it was always on the heavy side. It was built like a tank though. It wasn’t my first bike, but it was the first with which I could really range out.

BC30ADEF-7C45-44CF-914A-1B0950160590 (resized).jpegBC30ADEF-7C45-44CF-914A-1B0950160590 (resized).jpeg

Next up was a 60s era Sears Gamefisher boat. Again, not my photo, but really very similar to this one. We had a Johnson 10HP outboard to go along with it. It would easily pull a skier. That aluminum boat didn’t weigh anything. I had to put the gas tank all the way forward to get it to plane off if I was alone. My Dad and I had been going out in that boat as long as I remember. He wouldn’t let me solo until I could prove that I could swim to shore from the middle of the biggest cove near our dock (100 yards, at least).

F0E43481-7B96-49FD-89C9-85BD6EEEAC29 (resized).jpegF0E43481-7B96-49FD-89C9-85BD6EEEAC29 (resized).jpeg

By ten years old I was free ranging on both land and water.

#3014 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

I remember I liked to set the tricycle upside down and make the front wheel spin as fast as I could by moving the pedals around with my hands.

I used to do that, too. I’d get it going so fast that my hands would fly off the pedals, but they would keep going and circle around and slam my knuckles. Maybe we were both crazy?

#3033 3 years ago

I whiled away some hours with this set.

Pythagoras (resized).pngPythagoras (resized).png

#3149 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Forgot about this until I saw the above post
but I had the flying aces flight deck
[quoted image]

I had the Flying Aces Attack Carrier from the same line. I remember that you could bend the foam wings and tail a little to get the planes to change their trajectory some.

Attack_Carrier (resized).pngAttack_Carrier (resized).png

#3157 3 years ago

I had a Trac Olympic moped. They were a South Korean brand that only sold in the U.S. for a few years in the early-mid 80s. They were really quick. I got mine NIB and it would make 55MPH. I only rode it for a year and then sold it to a friend when I got my license and first car.

Not My PhotoNot My Photo

#3171 3 years ago

I remember making tab chains. Do you remember pulling the two parts of the tab apart and using the coiled tab to shoot the ring at your buddies?

#3190 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Ever hear a “Sonic Boom?”
[quoted image]

We had one rumble the area back in April. A Super Hornet went supersonic thirty miles off the coast and it rattled things pretty good. They are really not supposed to cut loose near populated areas, but every now and then there is a mishap.

#3218 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

I knew my parents were getting older when this ceramic Christmas tree replaced the real tree.
[quoted image]

My mother did something similar once I was up and out at 18 (I was the youngest).

#3228 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

[quoted image]

This was the first family TV I remember. It was a Curtis Mathes console. This is not my photo, but it is the same model. It was black and white, of course. The drawer beneath the radio tuner was a pullout turntable. This was eventually replaced with a standalone B&W TV. We didn’t have a color model until the late 70s.

Not my photoNot my photo

#3258 3 years ago

I was the youngest of four (and by a long shot - 12 years between me and my brother and 18 between me and my oldest sister), so I 'inherited' a lot of music that they had left behind. There was a whole box of Motown 45s that my sisters used to dance and sing along with. A Let it Be 45, some Stones, the Guess Who, that sort of stuff. There were a few LPs as well. The White Album, Tommy, and John Prine's first album come to mind. It was great musical heritage and I played the grooves off of all of it.

The first record I can remember picking out in a record store (other than young kid stuff) was Kiss Destroyer in the spring of '76. No one in my family thought much of Kiss, but it captured my imagination with all the theatrics.

Kiss-Destroyer (resized).jpgKiss-Destroyer (resized).jpg

#3313 3 years ago

Seeing all of those quick-adders made me think of this. We had one of these floating around the house when I was young.

Balls and Strikes (resized).jpegBalls and Strikes (resized).jpeg
#3417 3 years ago

Anybody remember getting one of these stuck in your burger back during the bicentennial?

1776 (resized).png1776 (resized).png

#3434 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Anybody remember seeing one of these stuck on top of a car antenna? First it was these Union 76 balls, followed later by a zillion other kinds. I once put a Mickey Mouse one from Disneyland on my car’s antenna, but it got stolen the same day.
[quoted image][quoted image]

MINI sent me one of those! It was a real blast from the past, but I never put it on my car for fear of it getting stolen.

Smiley (resized).pngSmiley (resized).png

Smiley2 (resized).pngSmiley2 (resized).png

#3435 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Anybody ever think they could draw good enough send these charlatans any money? When I was young I did not realize this as the scam it was. I wonder if anybody ever won any of the prizes.

Those correspondence school ads have been around a long time. I have one my dad drew back in the 30s somewhere around here. While looking for it, I came across this little product of my warped 7th grade mind.

Pinnochio in 'Nam (resized).pngPinnochio in 'Nam (resized).png

#3438 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Not a bad drawing of an F-86. I think I would replace " warped 7th grade mind" with "profane 7th grade mind". .

Yeah. It’s pretty salty. I’d have gotten into a lot of trouble if my parents had found that.

#3439 3 years ago

Here are a few relics from the kitchen:

The Caped Crusaders.
Dynamic_Duo (resized).jpgDynamic_Duo (resized).jpg

1977 Burger King Star Wars tie in.
BK_Star_Wars (resized).jpgBK_Star_Wars (resized).jpg

Scooby's a little worse for wear.
Scooby (resized).pngScooby (resized).png

And the old Shakey's mug with the glass bottom.
Shakeys2 (resized).jpgShakeys2 (resized).jpg
Shakeys1 (resized).jpgShakeys1 (resized).jpg

#3443 3 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Are they no longer in Kansas?

I had no idea that Shakey’s was still a going concern. We haven’t had one around here since the mid 70s. Are they still around in California? Any good?

#3451 3 years ago
Quoted from bssbllr:

Creepshow was a great movie when I was a kid. Had a voodoo doll episode in it.

Adrienne Barbeau was in Creepshow, Escape from New York, and Wes Craven's Swamp Thing all within the space of a year or so. I had such a crush!

iu (resized).jpegiu (resized).jpeg

#3452 3 years ago

A few previous posts mentioned the ads in the back of comic books, with things like the x-ray specs, sea monkeys, ant farms, etc. Those are great memories, but I found that the ads in the back of the Warren publications (Creepy, Eerie, Vampirella, etc.) were a whole other level of cool. I know I spent as much time peering over the ads, wishing I could order all that stuff, as I did actually reading the comics.

Here are the ads from the back of an early 70s Creepy grabbed at random. Heck, I still want most of this stuff!

IMG_5644 (resized).jpgIMG_5644 (resized).jpg
IMG_5645 (resized).jpgIMG_5645 (resized).jpg
IMG_5646 (resized).jpgIMG_5646 (resized).jpg
IMG_5647 (resized).jpgIMG_5647 (resized).jpg
IMG_5648 (resized).jpgIMG_5648 (resized).jpg

#3494 3 years ago

My grandmother was an Avon Lady. Christmas gifts were always cologne, or worse, soap on a rope. Ughhh.

s-l500 (resized).jpgs-l500 (resized).jpg

#3526 3 years ago

I've still have my BSA Patrol Leader Handbook. It's even signed by the author. Green Bar Bill had been involved with scouting since 1910. He seemed older than Moses when I met him, but he was still sharp as a tack. I was an assistant patrol leader at the time. We had a pretty hard core troop. We went camping twice a month, every month. It was always primitive camping, with at least two survival style camps a year. The one in February we called the 'freezeree.' I never did get my own patrol. My dad died when I was 12 and I drifted away from scouting without his influence and encouragement. Still, there are lots of good memories.

Handbook1 (resized).jpgHandbook1 (resized).jpgHandbook2 (resized).jpgHandbook2 (resized).jpg
#3527 3 years ago

This one's a little obscure. Based on the huge popularity of Dungeons & Dragons, TSR released a cold war, cloak and dagger role playing game. It was pretty fun, kind of like acting out a James Bond movie or Frederick Forsyth novel. I did find that as the game master, I would sometimes have to be a little lenient with the dice rolls. It was pretty easy for characters to get killed. After all, no one who just spent an hour rolling up a character wants to just have him shot dead in the first ten minutes.

Top_Secret (resized).jpgTop_Secret (resized).jpg

#3532 3 years ago
Quoted from EdisonArcade:

Awesome! We Played both Top Secret and Boot Hill. Had pretty much forgotten about that.
Wasn't there one with tricked-out futuristic cars too?

Are you thinking about Car Wars? Steve Jackson Games had some fun titles.

Car Wars (resized).pngCar Wars (resized).png

#3533 3 years ago

Tom Wham was a pretty good game designer, too. I enjoyed both of these, but lost my copies sometime along the way. Not my photos.

Snits (resized).jpegSnits (resized).jpeg

Green Things (resized).jpegGreen Things (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#3644 3 years ago

1. Boat
2. BMX Bike
3. Quarters for the Arcades

#3647 3 years ago

Creepy Crawlers were great! Remember the Monster Machine and Shrunken Head?

MonsterMachineBox (resized).jpgMonsterMachineBox (resized).jpg

ShrunkenHead (resized).jpegShrunkenHead (resized).jpeg

#3664 3 years ago

Did you notice that website is advertising/selling spfxted’s books? Cool.

1 week later
#3722 3 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Am I nuts, or for a while there, did gas stations have some cool toys?
I am a few steps away from remembering some ... toy I really wanted in the early 70s but I was so young, and I bet the promo was really short ... geez. There's no way I'll find it by reaching for it... it will need a few more... adjacent suggestions to tease it out.

They did indeed! Here's a couple I remember (They weren't local, so I never actually got any of them).

The ARCO arc:
vintage-1972-arco-gas-noahs-arc-play-set-with-ramp-and-28-animals-9-700 (resized).jpgvintage-1972-arco-gas-noahs-arc-play-set-with-ramp-and-28-animals-9-700 (resized).jpg

Sinclair dinosaurs:
sinclair (resized).jpgsinclair (resized).jpg
The_Childrens_Museum_of_Indianapolis_-_Sinclair_Dinoland_plastic_Brontosaurus (resized).jpgThe_Childrens_Museum_of_Indianapolis_-_Sinclair_Dinoland_plastic_Brontosaurus (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#3970 3 years ago

Zotz!!!

Zotz (resized).pngZotz (resized).png

#4034 3 years ago

This Buck knife has been kept in my tackle box since I was nine. I got the boot knife a couple of years later. (The parents didn't know about that one.) I had lots of throwing stars too, but those are all long gone. I chewed up the neighbor's privacy fence with them pretty good. I got in trouble for that.

Knives Out (resized).pngKnives Out (resized).png

#4037 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

We had spot in an undeveloped part of the neighborhood. There was a long drop, about 10 feet down, from the edge of this dirt wall.

This reminds me of a spot that we used to call The Scoop. There is a woodsy area behind an elementary school with a dry creek bed that winds through it. The banks range from roughly four feet to as much as ten feet high. It was the perfect natural halfpipe! We used to ride our BMX bikes there all the time, doing table tops and other aerials.

#4043 3 years ago

But did you see this one?

iu (resized).pngiu (resized).png

#4071 3 years ago

I haven't played any of those variants. Looks challenging. I did have a tri-dimensional chess set like Mr. Spock's:

Spock (resized).jpegSpock (resized).jpeg

#4097 3 years ago

Yum!!!

5ECD7D69-7DAD-407F-AC39-0C88A3407F32 (resized).jpeg5ECD7D69-7DAD-407F-AC39-0C88A3407F32 (resized).jpeg

#4197 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Did you have a big wooden toy box as a kid?

Mine was my dad's WWII Navy sea chest. The hardware looked a lot like this, but the box was blue. Sure wish I still had it, but it got put out in the shed and eventually rotted.

s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg

#4215 3 years ago

In the late 80s I was 19 or 20 and trying to make a go of being a freelance graphic designer. I was also trying very hard to NOT have to go back to swinging a hammer for a living. So, I took a second job as “pit crew” at Motorworld, a big go kart park that was getting ready to open for its first season.

The place is pretty big, with more than 10 tracks. The star attraction was a circuit with 3/4 sized formula cars. These had powerful Honda engines. With the governor, they would top out around 40 MPH. With the governor disabled, they would make close to twice that. And this is with your butt just a few inches above the track! We were constantly having to push park guests out of the infield after they would loose it in the turns. There was also a slick track, perfect for drifting. We kept big bags of corn starch on hand to make it even slicker.

I pulled the closing shift whenever possible. There were fewer young kids to deal with (and worse yet, their parents!), and you didn’t have to bake in the sun all day. Plus, staff got the run of the tracks after closing. On those times I did have to work days, after my shift I would head next door to the Jungle Falls water park, owned by the same operation. Staff had free access there as well.

The job did not pay all that much, but the perks of having free access to the attractions was definitely a bonus for my younger self (not to mention all the pretty tourist girls.) That summer was definitely a fond youthful memory.

header-b248a937 (resized).jpegheader-b248a937 (resized).jpeg
The big track in the foreground and the miniature golf weren’t there when I worked here, but the rest is how I remember it.

iu-1 (resized).jpegiu-1 (resized).jpeg

#4257 3 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

I’m young enough to remember when you had to find a phone to make a call or answer a page.

I'm young enough to remember when they switched from ten cents to a quarter to make that call.

#4289 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Nice try. How young are you now? 65? 70?

What? Around here, it happened during the first Reagan administration. Much of the country didn’t switch from 10 cent calls to a quarter until the Ma Bell breakup. As I remember it, pinballs switched to a quarter years before the pay phones did.

#4354 3 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

We did not have any driver simulators, we just got in a car, and drove around town and in parking lots with 3 students and one teacher.

That’s how it was for me as well, but by the time I did Driver’s Ed in 10th grade I had already been stealing off in my mother’s Oldsmobile since I was 14. She was playing golf every Sunday and that was my window of opportunity. There was one memorable time when I was really late getting back from the beach with a bunch of friends. I beat her back home by 20 minutes or so. The Old’s engine compartment was still really hot. If she had gone out to the garage I would have been busted for sure.

I got my driver’s license on my 16th birthday.

While I got away with it that time, she got me later. By then, I had my license and first car, but had gotten into trouble for something and had my driving privileges suspended. I snuck out my window one night and took off to hang with friends. She had chalked my tires

#4373 3 years ago

Rapid Fire Tracer Gun. You could load like 20 disks at a time.

RapifFireTracerGun (resized).jpegRapifFireTracerGun (resized).jpeg

#4386 3 years ago
Quoted from bssbllr:

Anyone have one of these in the house growing up.
[quoted image]

I had one of those in my first apartment, when I had moved down to Atlanta for art school.

#4387 3 years ago

The Peppermint Beach Club started life in the 20s as a casino. Over the decades it had been a dance hall, concert venue, even a short stint as a crab house. It was right on the boardwalk, a block away from the fishing pier.

Back in the 50s, Fats Domino, Ray Charles, Chubby Checker, and Gene Vincent (who was a local) all played there. It was a staple for beach music in the 60s.

In the late 80s and through the 90s I lived at the oceanfront, and was within walking distance of the Peppermint. It seemed like I was going to a show every week, bands like Bad Brains, Dave Matthews, Mudhoney, Yngwie, White Zombie, Fugazi, D.R.I, COC, No Doubt, Bad Religion, Kings X, L7, Melvins, Pantera, GWAR, Johhny Winter, Black 47, and The Toasters. I saw Pantera there four times, and the mosh pit for those shows was absolutely INSANE.

The capacity was short of 1000, but bands really liked to play there. The sound was really good and that creaky old building had a great vibe.

Sadly, it closed in 1994, and was razed. There was another venue that opened nearby and called itself the Peppermint, but that was just an imposter, and never matched the mystique of the original.

Here are a few pics of the old place over the years. I sure miss it.

iu-2 (resized).jpegiu-2 (resized).jpeg
iu-4 (resized).jpegiu-4 (resized).jpeg
iu-3 (resized).jpegiu-3 (resized).jpeg

#4390 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Wow. That's a '67 Pontiac Bonneville at the curb; And two 50s icons, Brenda Lee (Well, I guess it is her band) and Bill Black's Combo, are on the ticket. That's cool.
For me, 1967 was The Beatles "Penny Lane" and Strawberry Alarm Clock's "Incense and Peppermints" and The Box Tops "The Letter".

From what I understand, in the 60s the Peppermint was mostly beach music and 50s retro. The current acts were playing a few blocks over, at the new Alan B. Shepard Civic Center, commonly known as the Dome. It was a Buckminster Fuller geodesic dome (named after Shepard because he and most of the Mercury astronauts lived in Virginia Beach while they trained at NASA Langley for the Mercury Program). Hendrix and the Stones both played the Dome.

By the time I was seeing shows there, it was bands like Rainbow, Nugent, Alcatrazz, and Rising Force.

Sadly, that one has been flattened, too. It's a parking lot now.

78ee0d124a1907b3352b67869c24ff3f73326e80.jpeg (resized).jpg78ee0d124a1907b3352b67869c24ff3f73326e80.jpeg (resized).jpg

#4394 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Rant mode off now. Sorry.

I guess city governments being in the pockets of the developers is a pretty universal problem. I hope your community gets to keep the Century II. Venues like these get invested with so many positive memories, it makes it particularly hard to loose them.

#4396 3 years ago

We have a big amphitheater in town now, but when I was younger we had to cross the water to go to the Hampton Coliseum to see the big shows. This is the place that Phish liked to refer to as the "mother ship." I saw Van Halen and Rush there a lot, and the ZZ Top Eliminator tour. The Stones closed out their US Tattoo You tour there. Hampton wasn't even on their original schedule, but the local rock radio stations started a petition and got enough signatures to convince the band to add us to the end of the tour. They played two nights to a completely sold out Coliseum. They even did a simulcast and it was broadcast over radio nationwide. Good times!

Hampton_coliseum (resized).jpgHampton_coliseum (resized).jpg

#4402 3 years ago

ABC has been running Cecil B. DeMille’s The Ten Commandments during the Easter/Passover period since the early 70s.

#4408 3 years ago

I found this issue of Life tucked away in a closet while I was cleaning out my childhood home.

Life Nov 63 (resized).pngLife Nov 63 (resized).png

#4415 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Was it just one man, Oswald? I have a hard time seeing how one man could crank out three rounds with a bolt action rifle, while shooting at a moving target; All in just 6 seconds.

I watched a documentary years ago where they demonstrated quite convincingly that one gunman could indeed pull that off. At least the doc's marksman could. Oswald was trained by the Marine Corps after all.

#4416 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Ok, Heres one! Actually, I have a couple.
Can you guess the Name of this Toy? or Find any info?

Hey Art, don't leave us hanging here! What the heck is that thing? I'll make a wild guess. You load some sort of projectile into the tube, and then slam that black bulb end on the ground, sending said projectile into the air. What do I win?

#4452 3 years ago

Interesting side note: Adolph Coors committed suicide in 1929 by jumping out of a window of this local hotel. (Some say he was pushed.)

2880px-The_Cavalier_Hotel_(4665105594) (resized).jpg2880px-The_Cavalier_Hotel_(4665105594) (resized).jpg

#4482 3 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

You been smokin' banana peels, son?

They call me mellow yellow...

#4525 3 years ago

When I was a kid we had a great regional ice cream parlor chain called High’s Ice Cream. They were founded in Richmond in 1928. They were very old school, a classic soda fountain out of an earlier age. They had checkered tile floors and those metal spinning stools bolted to the floor at the counter. They made their own ice cream and it was better, much better, than chains like Baskins-Robbins or Dairy Queen. The milk shakes were sublime. I remember having my very first hot fudge sundae there. It was in one of those tall, metal, tulip style glasses, and came with a long handled metal spoon to reach down deep.

Later they were acquired by a company out of Baltimore which closed the ice cream parlors in favor of convenience stores/gas stations.

#4531 3 years ago
Quoted from bssbllr:

These were a lot bigger when I was a kid.....I think?
[quoted image]

Yep. Down from 278g to 258g in 2019 alone.

#4532 3 years ago

According to Wiki

American Creme Eggs at the time weighed 34 g and contained 150 kcal. Before 2006, the eggs marketed by Hershey were identical to the UK version, weighing 39 g and containing 170 kcal.

Those weights seem much more likely. In any case, they are getting smaller.

#4550 3 years ago

Shave_and_a_Haircut_in_C (resized).pngShave_and_a_Haircut_in_C (resized).png

#4562 3 years ago

The original Apple Extended Keyboard from 1987 is among the best computer keyboards ever sold. It was pricey even back then, selling for close to $200. The Apple Extended Keyboard II that replaced it a few years later is also exceptional, but a little lighter. You can use either with a modern computer if you can find one of the old Griffin ADB to USB adapters. No drivers required (at least for Macs).

1 week later
#4611 3 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Did you ever get a Savings Bond instead of cash in a birthday card or for some other occasion when you were a kid? It was a nice gesture, but my heart sank in disappointment whenever I saw one. Later in life, I bought some of those same bonds as an investment. But through the eyes of a 10-year-old expecting cash, a Savings Bond sucks the big wazoo.
[quoted image]

The first thing that came to mind when I read that expression:

zappa (resized).jpegzappa (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#4618 3 years ago

I funded a fair amount of my early pinball playing via those bottle return deposits. I think it was a dime for the pint sized Nehi and RC bottles.

3 weeks later
#4917 2 years ago

I had that Goodyear blimp model, too. I hadn't thought about it in years. Thanks for the reminder! I have a client who has a son that works for that California airship company.

I had a Hindenburg model back then, too. I remember my dad taking me to see that movie with George C. Scott. Something about that disaster always captured my imagination. It was the same way with the Titanic. I know I read and re-read A Night to Remember.

Hindenbrg (resized).jpegHindenbrg (resized).jpeg

A Night to Remember (resized).jpgA Night to Remember (resized).jpg

#4919 2 years ago

That's my actual copy. I took that photo earlier today. 11th printing, 1963. It has my older sister's name written inside the front cover. I guess she left it behind when she moved out.

#4921 2 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

I remember that book - and that somehow reminded me of a book my brother had, Hiroshima. I remember the pictures of the damage and it talking about skin falling off. Didn't realize it was originally published in 1946 - he had it in the late 60s/early 70s.
[quoted image]

Hersey’s Hiroshima is a sobering book to be sure. In 1985 he released a second edition in which he went back and followed up with survivors he had interviewed for the 1946 original.

#4924 2 years ago

Yes, I am aware of both the generalized "LeMay" leaflets that warned cities of impending bombings without direct mention of the atomic bomb, as well as the "Hiroshima" leaflets that were scattered after the first atomic bombing, but before Nagasaki.

#4931 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

All thanks to Indiana Jones

Not for me. I was into that stuff years before the Indiana Jones movies. That George C. Scott Hindenburg movie was 1975. Around the same time I was also reading this:

Bermuda Book (resized).jpegBermuda Book (resized).jpeg

I even had the board game.

Bermuda Game (resized).jpegBermuda Game (resized).jpeg

And let's not forget this classic:

Chariots (resized).jpegChariots (resized).jpeg

#4932 2 years ago

Favorite TV show of the period?

In Search Of (resized).jpegIn Search Of (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#5041 2 years ago

I still miss shooting in Kodachrome. I remember one day early in my first semester at art school I spent over $200 on the stuff. I used to buy those great big bulk packages of it. There's a reason there are cliches about starving artists

Kodachrome 64 pro (resized).jpegKodachrome 64 pro (resized).jpeg

#5047 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

1996, my first Digital Camera....Over $800, Kodaks DC-40, taking pics at 768 x 512. It still works!
Used it to help get the first pics on Ebay! [quoted image]

My first digital was the Apple QuickTake 100 from 1994. $750 and only 640x480 pixels at "high" resolution. I still have it around here somewhere, but got lazy and pulled this pic from Wikipedia.

Apple_QuickTake (resized).jpgApple_QuickTake (resized).jpg

#5050 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

For some reason your picture reminded me of Gort the robot from, The Day the Earth Stood Still.
[quoted image]

“Klaatu barada nikto”

I had a comic book treatment of that story. It was one I had inherited from either my older brother or a cousin. It was from mid-late 60s, or possibly early 70s. Does anyone remember the book and issue? I might like to track down a copy.

#5055 2 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

It was a Marvel Anthology book from the Mid '70s, I had it also:

Thanks for the assist! If that issue is that new, it must be one that I purchased myself. The ones I got from my brother and cousins were all silver age comics.

#5077 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Collectible popcorn buckets from the movie theaters too.
LTG : )

I don't know that I remember collectible popcorn buckets, but I did get this poster on opening day for The Empire Strikes Back.

Boris 1980 Empire (resized).jpgBoris 1980 Empire (resized).jpg

(I tried to take a photo of my actual copy, which hangs in my office to this day, but the glass made terrible reflections and glare.)

1 week later
#5190 2 years ago

Remember the Time-Life book series they used to advertise during syndicated shows on the UHF station or during Saturday morning cartoons?

"John Wesley Hardin, so mean, he once shot a man just for snoring too loud"

I’m at my father-in-law’s place and just came across these. They are coming home with us

AD2A6AE0-5DD1-4596-AA11-1E9DE7F2A7C7 (resized).jpegAD2A6AE0-5DD1-4596-AA11-1E9DE7F2A7C7 (resized).jpeg

E059AF79-F9AB-447E-BF27-C8691E8B3CA7 (resized).jpegE059AF79-F9AB-447E-BF27-C8691E8B3CA7 (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#5212 2 years ago

I was a big fan of Mad Magazine satire in my youth, but this late 70s board game was a bit of a disappointment. It is sort of an anti-Monopoly, where you try to lose all of your money. I think I probably played it fewer than five times.

Mad Game Box (resized).pngMad Game Box (resized).png

Mad Game Board (resized).pngMad Game Board (resized).png

#5214 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I was more of a “Cracked” kid myself.
[quoted image]

I read Cracked, too. I had no idea Don Martin wrote for Cracked after leaving Mad. Cool. That was after my time.

#5215 2 years ago

Here are a few paperbacks I managed to hold on to.

Mad Books (resized).pngMad Books (resized).png

#5246 2 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

That reminded me of riding around on these little hand cars when I was a kid. They had some at Kiddieland, a small old-school Chicagoland amusement park (eventually torn down to make room for a Costco). I never got hurt on them, but they seemed kind of dangerous to me. I wondered how often little fingers got caught under the wheels.

Your Kiddieland post made me think of a long-gone amusement park of my youth. Ocean View Amusement Park was right on the Chesapeake Bay in Norfolk. It had a great old wooden coaster. Its major claim to fame was that it was featured in two different 70s disaster films. It was the first ride seen in the 1977 film Rollercoaster, and was the featured setting for 79's Death of Ocean View Park.

RollerCoasterPoster (resized).jpegRollerCoasterPoster (resized).jpeg

Death-of-Ocean-View-Park-1 (resized).jpegDeath-of-Ocean-View-Park-1 (resized).jpeg

Death-of-Ocean-View-Park-2 (resized).jpgDeath-of-Ocean-View-Park-2 (resized).jpg

My dad took me to the filming of both. They were encouraging extras, and the rides were free. I remember coming face to face with Mike Connors on the wooden promenade. I think I can just make out myself on the beach in one fleeting shot.

It took multiple attempts to blow up the coaster for the second film. That old coaster was built to last.

2 weeks later
#5482 2 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

I can remember warm summer evenings in my neighborhood with the irresistible aroma of hot french fries coming from the local Tastee Freez.
An order of fries and a root beer float put me in Heaven.

I think there was one or two Tastee-Freez locations in Virginia, but Dairy Queen was/is much more common. As a kid, a trip to the oceanfront was not complete without a stop for ice cream. DQ was good for a quick soft serve, but High's had the best real ice cream and milk shakes. For a really special occasion, it was a stop at the Old Straw Hat on the way home. That was an 1890s themed place with an old style candy store in the lobby that had salt water taffy and giant lollipops. You could have a free sundae on your birthday. I loved that place! I played my first Pong machine there.

DQ (resized).jpegDQ (resized).jpeg

Highs (resized).jpegHighs (resized).jpeg

Old Straw Hat (resized).jpgOld Straw Hat (resized).jpg

#5491 2 years ago

My older brother had a job at Baskin-Robbins as a teenager. I got the serious hookup on the 31 flavors for a while. They did have a quality product.

#5500 2 years ago

Pralines ‘n Cream for the win!

#5531 2 years ago

I grew up using Log Cabin syrup. Sadly, today the product doesn't even mention maple in its list of ingredients. No cane sugar either. It's straight corn syrup now.

#5533 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Give me my 18 year old body with my 70 year old mind. I could go for that
I would have chased a different group of cars and different type girl if given the option.

It seems I'm still chasing the same group of cars that I was back then. My first car was a lightly used '76 Datsun 280Z.

Not my actual car, but the same model and colorNot my actual car, but the same model and color

This one is in my garage now.

z4mcoupe (resized).jpgz4mcoupe (resized).jpg

There's something about a fast-back two seater with an inline six that has had a hold on me for all these years.

I will say that the girl I was seeing when I was 18 turned out to be bat-sh@t crazy. So, I'll grant you that one.

#5536 2 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

T Tops > Sliced bread

Hilarious! My second car. No T-Tops, but it had the louvres. Add in the bra for extra points.

my actual carmy actual car

#5575 2 years ago
Quoted from RichWolfson:

Note that runway was the same one that Charles Lindberg took off from before the Colosseum was there as he would have never had enough altitude to clear it.
Sorry everyone for a bit of nostalgia on my part. Now back to our regular programming.

No apology required. That sort of local and regional knowledge is what makes this thread so entertaining. It puts things in context.

#5584 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Just my preference but I would much rather have the Datson than the BMW.

I loved my 280z, and it was a beautiful car. It even inspired my purchase of the BMW. But the truth is, the M Coupe vastly outperforms it in every possible metric. 0-60 in less than half the time. Nevertheless, if I come across a nice 70s era Z car, I will buy it on the spot. (That's not likely here on the East coast. They tended to rust out in every climate but the desert.)

1 week later
#5688 2 years ago

Safari has built in tracker blocking.

Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 4.19.20 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-07-15 at 4.19.20 PM (resized).png

Way to go Pinside!

Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 4.18.22 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-07-15 at 4.18.22 PM (resized).png

#5691 2 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

This is a random 1983 yearbook senior photo I took off the net - but pretty much exactly like mine - haircuts, poses, outfits ...

Color yearbook? Fancy. Mine is in black and white. Guys were all photographed in black tie, the girls in dark, off-the-shoulder gowns.
(I'm an 80s graduate, too, just like your example.)

1 week later
#5799 2 years ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

the National Scout Jamboree at Fort A.P. Hill in Virginia

I was at that Jamboree! Troop 474.

#5843 2 years ago
Quoted from ghostbc:

Just seeing if you can come through on another memory I have,(when I mentioned 45's on the back of cereal boxes you came up with the exact ones I remembered)
For some reason I remember just a few of the Model's I built as a 10 yr old or so (born in 63) so approx 71-74 . I build a series of chopper type motorcycles and a few cars. Of the choppers I think one was a standard long fork chopper maybe called "Grim Reaper" one of the others was a trike with a big bird on the sissy bar. The other one not related to the motorcycles is a station wagon called "Bad News" and I believe it was orange in color. Anyone?

I dug up a few orange wagon model kits, but none with that name. Are you sure it wasn't "Bad Actor"? That was a pretty popular kit. I remember the Grim Reaper chopper, too, but I don't think I ever built that one. I mainly built cars, WWII aircraft, tanks, and warships.

iu-3 (resized).jpegiu-3 (resized).jpeg

iu-4 (resized).jpegiu-4 (resized).jpeg

iu-5 (resized).jpegiu-5 (resized).jpeg

iu-6 (resized).jpegiu-6 (resized).jpeg

iu-7 (resized).jpegiu-7 (resized).jpeg

iu-8 (resized).jpegiu-8 (resized).jpeg

iu-9 (resized).jpegiu-9 (resized).jpeg

#5844 2 years ago

Speaking of models, I used to create battle damage on my military models by heating up a needle and melting bullet holes in them. They looked very realistic with a little silver and black dry-brushed around the edges.

1 week later
#5915 2 years ago

The Viewmaster posts got me thinking about another toy, one that would allow you to watch video/motion graphics. Playback was dependent on how fast you cranked the handle, so you could do slow motion, speed it up, or even play it in reverse. I don't know that I had any of the cartridges from this ad, but I did have a few Peanuts shorts.

flashbakmovieviewer1 (resized).jpgflashbakmovieviewer1 (resized).jpg

#5922 2 years ago

More like this:

#5966 2 years ago

It was ‘78 before we finally got a color TV. It was still just over the air channels, even though my neighborhood was the pilot area for cable in our city in ‘77. My boyhood home did not get cable until well after I had moved out for art school at age 18. I did see the first broadcast of MTV, but at friend’s house.

We were middle class, and could have afforded it. My parents, both born in the ‘20s, simply valued live music, theatre, and cinema over television. The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, so do I!

Although, I do have a ridiculous selection of cable channels and streaming services today.

2 weeks later
#6151 2 years ago

I preferred the beach, but my father would often take me to one of the local Navy bases to use the pools there. They had olympic class high dives. It took me a long while to work up the nerve to finally go for it.

We would also golf on base. The cool thing about military golf courses is they had beer machines every few holes. Once I could drive, I used my dependent ID to get on base and buy beer for me and my buddies from those machines. I guess I could have gotten into real trouble if Shore Patrol ever stumbled onto that.

#6154 2 years ago

I loved the Shogun Warriors! I had Raiden and Great Mazinga. My best friend had a couple, too. The battles were epic!

1 week later
#6218 2 years ago

WSLogo3D (resized).pngWSLogo3D (resized).png

We had a Ponderosa in town, but I think my dad favored Western Sizzlin. I know we ate there more often (maybe it was just cheaper?). They haven't been in this market for many years now.

They have a Wood Grill up in Charlottesville. We like to go there when we are in town visiting my daughter's family.

WGLogo (resized).pngWGLogo (resized).png

For more special occasions while growing up, we would head to this place down at the oceanfront:

Black_Angus (resized).jpgBlack_Angus (resized).jpg

#6231 2 years ago

I remember lobbing these back and forth with my friends. They were heavy enough to really smart if you got caught unawares.

Cap Bomb (resized).jpegCap Bomb (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
#6351 2 years ago

I know Pop-Tarts have the name recognition, but these are what we had at my house growing up. They were much better in my opinion, a real pastry rather than a sugary slab of dry wall. Strawberry and apple were my favorites.

Toastettes (resized).pngToastettes (resized).png

#6356 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Sweet Lemons ?

Did they make a lemon Toastette? I never tried one, but it sounds good. I liked these, too:

Fruit Pie (resized).jpegFruit Pie (resized).jpeg

#6363 2 years ago

Are those Yodels any different from these? Is it just a regional name? I peeled and unrolled my Ho Hos the same way.

HoHos (resized).jpegHoHos (resized).jpeg

#6399 2 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

I lived in Zone 'B' when this brochure was distributed in 1955. I now live in Zone 'C' so I feel a little bit safer.

That civil defense pamphlet is an interesting time capsule. Thanks for sharing it. I presume that the two hour advanced warning they anticipated was based on Soviet bombers rather than ICBMs. Living on the coast, we always knew that with a sub-based launch there could only be a couple of minutes warning at best.

Quoted from RCA1:

We always figured that if things went bad, we would just be vaporized and wouldn't even know what happened.

Yeah, growing up during the cold war I had a similar notion. There are just so many targets in close proximity:

DELETED. It’s all public info, but why make it easier for a pinball enthusiast with a dirty bomb?

1 week later
#6424 2 years ago

Anacin = aspirin + caffein. It's pretty effective against headaches. They still sell it, but like you, I haven't seen those little tins in years. I used to buy them at the counter of my local full-service gas station.

1 week later
#6483 2 years ago

In '78 or '79 the mall that was less than a mile from the house I grew up in added a new wing. My friends and I went nuts when it finally opened and we discovered Space Port! The left wall in photo 2 is where ours had a couple banks of pins. They were lined up on either side of that short wall. There were at least 10 pinball machines there when it first opened. I grew up in a resort town, so there were plenty of arcades, but this one was in easy walking distance!

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg

2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg

3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg

It's funny, but I don't remember the guys in the blue jumpsuits smiling like that. A lot of those guys had real attitudes, but there were a couple of cool guys who would hook you up with the occasional free game.

#6487 2 years ago

That’s a 16mm projector. Pretty fancy for home use. Most home movies were shot in 8mm or Super 8. My dad had an 8mm camera that he bought in Hawaii when he was stationed there after the war.

#6491 2 years ago

I just dug out my dad's old 8mm camera and took these. I let the projector go when I cleared my childhood home. I figured I would just digitize the films. The oldest reel I have was shot at Waikiki sometime around 1948. So I guess that's how old this camera is.

By the time I came around, he wasn't shooting film any longer. My childhood was mostly captured with Polaroids.

Cine-Kodak1 (resized).pngCine-Kodak1 (resized).png

Cine-Kodak2 (resized).pngCine-Kodak2 (resized).png

Cine-Kodak3 (resized).pngCine-Kodak3 (resized).png

#6509 2 years ago

K-94 (resized).pngK-94 (resized).png

From 1974-1983 K-94 was the premiere rock station of the mid-Atlantic. They had a 100k tower out near the edge of the Great Dismal Swamp.

In 1980 or 81 they accidentally disrupted all phone service between North Carolina and Baltimore. They did a promotion by giving $25,000 to the 25th caller when they played Another One Bites the Dust. The problem was, they didn't let the phone company know ahead of time.

They also helped, via a massive petition drive, to get the Rolling Stones to add our market to the end of the Tattoo You tour. The last two shows of the tour were at Hampton Coliseum, and were simulcast nationwide.

Every night at midnight they ran this station ID. It really brought back memories to hear it again.

#6541 2 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Remember when you had to use a typewriter to type a paper for school?
We had this blue Smith-Corona which was noisier than hell.
I’d typically wait until the last minute on the night before the paper was due.
Then I’d be up past midnight typing which pissed off my parents who were trying to sleep.
[quoted image]

I remember typing out my senior thesis on an ancient Underwood that had belonged to my grandfather. I owned a couple of computers (my old VIC-20 and a newer TRS-80 Color Computer), but the printers were exceedingly expensive at the time (a lot more than the computer itself). The computer lab at my high school (mostly TRS-80 model ls and a few model llls) did not even have a printer.

2 weeks later
#6614 2 years ago

I never had a Chipmunks record. Here is some of my childhood vinyl:

Kid records 1 (resized).pngKid records 1 (resized).png

Kid records 2 (resized).pngKid records 2 (resized).png

I also had boxes of 45s that had belonged to my older sisters, late 50s to late 60s stuff. Beach Boys, girl bands, the Beatles and other British Invasion acts, and a whole lot of Motown! I wish I still had that treasure trove. They had reclaimed it all by the time I was in high school.

#6617 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I played that first album relentlessly.

This one?

Meet the Beatles A (resized).pngMeet the Beatles A (resized).png

Meet the Beatles B (resized).pngMeet the Beatles B (resized).png

The pre-production first pressing did not have the publishing rights listed on the label. The very short run second pressing did include the ASCAP and BMI listings, but incorrectly lists only the first song as BMI, when it should be BMI for tracks 1 and 2. All later pressings have the correct publishing rights listed, making this a rather rare example.

#6627 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Have we done this one yet? Always a disappointment for me.
[quoted image]

I had a couple of those. You need to pump them up so much that you can’t possibly move the plunger any further. I’d get them up three or four stories. I also had a different, larger one that looked more like a Saturn V. We would shoot them at each other, of course.

1 week later
#6668 2 years ago

Remember this product of the nuclear Armageddon anxiety?

Foxfire Books (resized).jpegFoxfire Books (resized).jpeg

#6678 2 years ago

This was a movie theatre that was in walking distance from my house. The caption incorrectly states that it was in Norfolk, but it was really in Virginia Beach, in the parking lot of Pembroke Mall. It was originally a single, but eventually expanded to a double like the one in Florida. I saw both Empire and Jedi there on opening day. The lines stretched around the whole building. I saw Star Wars on opening day, too, but that really was at a theatre in Norfolk.

Pembroke Movie (resized).jpgPembroke Movie (resized).jpg

#6679 2 years ago

Cotton mentioned his first flight in another thread and that got me thinking that is probably a pretty common and memorable childhood event.

Mine was a little unusual. My father had a friend from work who owned a Cesna 172. I was 8 or 9 when he first took us up. With my parents in the back seats, we took off from the Norfolk Airport, and flew across the Chesapeake Bay to the Eastern Shore. After lunch we flew back across the bay. We detoured along the the Atlantic coast and then over Chicks Beach on the way back to Norfolk.

I was riding shotgun, and there were a second set of controls. He let me hold the yoke for a while, and perform a gradual turn. I already dreamed of being a fighter pilot and astronaut, that first flight cemented the idea in my childish mind. I had to get glasses a couple of years later, and that put that idea to bed for good.

I didn't fly commercially until almost a decade later. It was a 727, nonstop from Norfolk to Newark, and long enough ago that they still allowed smoking on commercial flights.

Cesna 172 (resized).jpgCesna 172 (resized).jpg

#6716 2 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Extremely offensive or super rare 30s cool? We really like it but not sure if kosher to own as white people. Wife asked how'd we'd explain it. Thoughts?
[quoted image]

There was an interesting PBS documentary on this topic a couple of years ago. It is called "Black Memorobilia". It explored questions such as "When are objects immoral, and when is it right or wrong to possess them? Does historic value supersede offensiveness?"

https://www.pbs.org/independentlens/documentaries/black-memorabilia/

In a similar vein, professor David Brody looks at visual imagery and Orientalism in his book "Visualizing American Empire: Orientalism and Imperialism in the Philippines". It is well researched and provides numerous illustrations and examples.

https://www.amazon.com/Visualizing-American-Empire-Orientalism-Imperialism/dp/0226075346/

We call this our "racist lamp." It came from my parent's estate, and I did not have the heart to part with it. It definitely skirts the line between kitsch and offensiveness.

50s Kitsch (resized).png50s Kitsch (resized).png

#6718 2 years ago

Yes, the lamp is a mild example, and yes, it was indeed made overseas (for the American market). Read Brody's book if you are interested in a well researched exploration of what I find are interesting questions about visualization and race.

#6726 2 years ago

Yum!

Stuckeys Candies (resized).jpegStuckeys Candies (resized).jpeg

#6732 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Have I missed anybody?

How about the Queen of Rockabilly, Wanda Jackson. She's been performing since the early 50s and just cut a new record this year with Joan Jett as producer.

https://www.wandajacksonmusic.com

#6736 2 years ago

Then there's Connie Smith. She got her start in '63 and just released her 54th!!! album this year.

Connie Smith (resized).jpegConnie Smith (resized).jpeg

#6746 2 years ago

My first exposure to the Beatles was early 45s from my older sisters. My first album exposure was the White Album from the younger of those two sisters. I like the narrative of a group that plays their own instruments learning their chops in the bars of postwar Hamburg (sorry, Pete Best). To be honest, I may like their covers from the early period best. For albums, I would rather listen to Rubber Soul and later.

1 month later
#6933 2 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

I remember a grade school music teacher Mrs. Varns. She went from room to room with a box of rhythm instruments. The kids in class would pass the box around choosing instruments. There were a few cool ones and the rest were long colored sticks. I really wanted the triangle but nearly always ended up with sticks.

My mother-in-law was a much beloved music teacher. We still have a box of some of her rhythm band instruments. My granddaughter used to love to make a racket with these when she was younger. Now she would rather play the piano.

Rhythm Band (resized).pngRhythm Band (resized).png

1 week later
#6994 2 years ago

Action Jackson.

Mego Action Jackson 1971Mego Action Jackson 1971

#6995 2 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Swat toys. [quoted image]

Weren't those S.W.A.T. action figures a tie in to the short lived TV show from '75-'76?

S.W.A.T (resized).pngS.W.A.T (resized).png

#7021 2 years ago

From that list, I had the Apple IIe, the TRS 80 CoCo, and the PowerBook 100. I still have both of the Apples.

#7039 2 years ago

Classic Macs? Here's something you won't see often, not one, but two Macintosh Portables (or Mac Lugables as we called them back in the day). For good measure, I'll throw in a still shrink wrapped Service binder.

LugablesLugables

ServiceService

#7041 2 years ago

As kids we called it Monkey Wards. Do you remember the Best Products catalog showrooms?

1 week later
#7081 2 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

My grandparents had a thermometer/barometer/humidity gizmo much like this one hanging on a wall in their house back in the 60s.
Hmm… it actually looks kind of cool.
Maybe I need one.

I grew up with this ship's wheel barometer on the wall in our kitchen area. It's in my foyer now.

Barometer (resized).pngBarometer (resized).png

1 week later
#7108 2 years ago

For my HS senior year I served as regional president for the Vocational Industrial Clubs of America (VICA). It is a region that includes several cities. I was from the most populous. I credit that and a general apathy for my election, but Vo-Tech got me through graduation.

#7158 2 years ago

The essence of Zappa was not just what he could play, but what he could draw out from other players. Thanks for posting that. I haven’t watched it in quite a while.

#7179 2 years ago

As I recall, Tamiya had some really high quality models, but more expensive. I built the tiger tank and others back in the day.

D8E0961A-70B0-429E-9902-E23F9790259B (resized).jpegD8E0961A-70B0-429E-9902-E23F9790259B (resized).jpeg

#7197 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Childhood Memory.
My Most Heinous Crime.
I was 12.
I lifted this 1972 Christmas Issue of Playboy Magazine from the Stationary Store.[quoted image]

Art, I’m sure you lifted that issue just for the cool article on pinball

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-articles-in-old-magazines-and-newspapers/page/3#post-5917927

1 week later
#7312 2 years ago

We didn't even have color TV until 1979 when Dad bought a 19" Zenith.

1 week later
#7403 2 years ago

Here are a few pics of what Hurricane Isabel did to a couple of scrawny pine trees at my previous house. We lost both of those and half of a wax myrtle out back, and another pine and a maple out front. There was pretty significant flooding a few hours after these images were captured. The pier and part of the bulkhead at my mother's house were simply swept away. We lost power for a week. Ironically, I have a camp stove and could have at least made hot coffee, but all we had were whole beans, with no way to grind it.

Isabel trees 2 (resized).pngIsabel trees 2 (resized).png

Isabel trees 1 (resized).pngIsabel trees 1 (resized).png

Isabel trees 3 (resized).pngIsabel trees 3 (resized).png

#7431 2 years ago

When I was growing up, there was a place in Hampton, Virginia called Rice's Fossil Pit. I went there a few times as a kid, with a field biology class, the Boy Scouts, etc. Now, you were not going to dig up a T-Rex at Rice's. Millions of years ago, most of Virginia east of the Blue Ridge mountains was under water.

I have had these fossilized clams for most of my life. I also have several chunks of sea floor, larger than a football, that have more of these still visibly embedded, as well as cavities where others once were.

Numerous megalodon teeth were recovered from the same level as these clams, so that dates them to roughly 3.6 to 28 Million years ago. I suppose I am just their caretaker, rather than the owner.

Clams (resized).pngClams (resized).png

Rice Fossil Pit 2 (resized).jpegRice Fossil Pit 2 (resized).jpeg

Rice Fossil Pit 1 (resized).jpegRice Fossil Pit 1 (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#7463 2 years ago

Those are neat! Stella Artois is Belgian originally, but is brewed in the U.S. for the domestic market now.

#7465 2 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

Those are neat! Stella Artois is Belgian originally, but is brewed in the U.S. for the domestic market now.

The same is true for Beck’s. They say it is the same, but I taste the difference. They also did away with Beck’s Dark.

To keep it on topic, I remember playing quarters with Beck’s Dark at a high school party when I was 17. Me and a couple of friends were outright quarters ninjas, and had brought a case of Beck’s Dark to the party. Before long, we had more than a few players throwing up in the bushes.

Most folks play quarters with the red Solo cups, or a traditional shot glass. Both are ridiculously easy. We used these, and still would often hit a dozen shots or more in a row.

Quarters (resized).pngQuarters (resized).png

These glasses may or may not have been stolen from Red Lobster by my former girlfriend. I believe the statute of limitations has long since expired.

#7466 2 years ago

Speaking of drinking games, did anyone ever actually play the board game Pass-Out? Apparently I did on at least one occasion. Note the O.G. Moosehead labels still in the box.

Pass-Out (resized).pngPass-Out (resized).png

#7471 2 years ago

I guess my first ‘firework’ would be these. I was so young that I don’t even remember my age. These were followed by sparklers, smoke bombs, and an ever increasing litany of explosives. I’m just glad I still have 10 fingers.

15027E2A-B1A7-4C0A-B528-E37E1B5E1FEA (resized).jpeg15027E2A-B1A7-4C0A-B528-E37E1B5E1FEA (resized).jpeg

#7495 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Found this while cleaning up.... 1992 3.5" floppies....Anyone else use this?
These is before Ebay, Amazon and Google, and we set up BBS with this.
I shared the software with everyone. Gosh, to think I turned down all the Jobs, like Google with Larry and Serj, or
the move to WA with Microsoft.[quoted image][quoted image]

Layout was for Wintel. As a Mac guy, I never got to play around with it. It looks pretty neat, though.

By ‘92 I was developing in MacroMind’s Director (later Macromedia Director). Many of the interactive environments found on early CD-ROMs were developed in Director, as were some commercial games. Unlike Layout, Director did require some coding. It had its own scripting language called Lingo.

If you ever played any of those Shockwave based, Web 1.0 era games, they were probably built in Director.

B4E4B045-63A4-4EDB-BC7C-D79CEAF3B6A1 (resized).jpegB4E4B045-63A4-4EDB-BC7C-D79CEAF3B6A1 (resized).jpeg

Macromedia Director (resized).pngMacromedia Director (resized).png

#7508 2 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Old horror comics.
[quoted image]
Touch not my tomb.

I was really in to horror comics, too. I liked the Warren magazines best. They did not comply with the Comics Code. I cycle them through these frames in my office periodically. Next are a few other survivors pulled randomly. Did anybody else read Plop! ? It was sort of a Mad magazine meets horror comics mash up.

Warren Frames (resized).pngWarren Frames (resized).png

Horror comics (resized).pngHorror comics (resized).png

#7511 2 years ago

I had that Demo Derby set, and the SSP Evel Knievel Stunt Cycle.

7070EDF4-3985-4091-A4AB-4F30B24CDC9F (resized).jpeg7070EDF4-3985-4091-A4AB-4F30B24CDC9F (resized).jpeg

#7520 2 years ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

zombywoof I did have a few issues of Plop. Did you ever get into the Horror War Comics like Weird War and such?

I did read a few Weird War, plus the more standard war comics like Sgt. Rock, Fighting Marines, G. I. Combat (with the Haunted Tank), etc.

3 weeks later
#7614 1 year ago

When I was a kid, the old Seaside Amusement Park down at the oceanfront was still open. We'd often go there when we had guests from out of town. The place had a real old-school carny vibe.

Then in 1975 Busch Gardens Williamsburg opened. We'd drive up every year. It's still my favorite park. In '78 they opened the Loch Ness Monster with its two interlocked loops. It's not much by today's coaster standards, but back then it was cutting edge. I'll still put in a few rides on it when I'm there. It's worth the wait for the front or back seats. Still puts a smile on my face.

Seaside Amusement Park 2 (resized).jpgSeaside Amusement Park 2 (resized).jpg

Seaside Amusement Park 1 (resized).jpgSeaside Amusement Park 1 (resized).jpg

Loch Ness 1 (resized).jpgLoch Ness 1 (resized).jpg

Loch Ness 2 (resized).jpgLoch Ness 2 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#7799 1 year ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I went into the bathroom with the kit hidden, and came out in black face!

That blackface makeup made me think about this art project I did in the first grade. (It also brings to mind former governor Northam's year book scandal.) But sometimes a clown is just a clown.

Clown (resized).pngClown (resized).png

#7817 1 year ago
Quoted from mooch:

Here are some more to choose from.
How about a Head Cheese and Olive Loaf sub?
[quoted image]

I really liked the Oscar Mayer Hard Salami. That was my go to for bag lunch sandwiches. If I was eating at home, fried bologna was hard to beat.

#7836 1 year ago

Remember the temporary tattoos in your box of Cracker Jack?

t_cracker_jack_big-dog_tatt (resized).jpgt_cracker_jack_big-dog_tatt (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#7893 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Remember the summer of '75?
Wishing you all a happy July 4th holiday.
( You might want to stay out of the water )

My dad took me to see Jaws in the summer of '75. I was a bit young for it. I'll admit that when the corpse floated out when Hooper found Ben Gardner's boat, it scared the sh*t out of me. That scene haunted me for a while. Living in a beach town, it did make me more conscious, but Jaws did not scare me out of the water.

I read the book that summer, too. I still have my copy.

Jaws (resized).pngJaws (resized).png

1 week later
#7957 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The first combs I used as a kid were the hard plastic kind that suffered teeth getting broken off. And then these soft plastic combs hit the market with their unbreakable teeth.
I stumbled onto this one in my attic the other day. I have been living in this house for 43 years. This is not my comb. This one reminds me of the ones I first saw in the 60s.
[quoted image]

If you wanted to be cool in the 70s, you had the handle of one of these sticking out of your back pocket.

Goody Super Comb (resized).jpegGoody Super Comb (resized).jpeg

1 month later
#8064 1 year ago
Quoted from mooch:

I like the distinctive shapes of the old glass soda bottles.
[quoted image]

You left out Nehi.

B1EE0F5A-6E6D-462A-8B6B-A8B0B7BED3D3 (resized).jpegB1EE0F5A-6E6D-462A-8B6B-A8B0B7BED3D3 (resized).jpeg

#8075 1 year ago

Here are a couple of survivors I've had since new in '77:

Star Wars Puzzles (resized).pngStar Wars Puzzles (resized).png

#8103 1 year ago

In keeping with your wall-phone mount, we have these is every room of our house, and outside next to all of the exterior doors. The master unit in the kitchen has an AM/FM radio that you can listen to remotely. 1970s tech!

Intercom (resized).pngIntercom (resized).png

#8108 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

And you still have these? Cool if you do.

Yes. They are original to the home, which was built in ‘77. While they mostly still work, we really only still use the doorbell integration. There’s a whole industry centered around refurbing these old systems. I opted to just scatter a bunch of Apple HomePod minis around the house.

3 weeks later
#8203 1 year ago

Remember Birdwell Beach Britches?

Birdwell (resized).pngBirdwell (resized).png

And Hang Ten shirts?

Hang Ten (resized).pngHang Ten (resized).png

#8208 1 year ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

Back in the late 80’s as a teenager we drank Hawaiian Punch mixed with this!
The label clearly states “ extremely flammable”, “overconsumption may endanger your health”.

Ah, Everclear. I remember it being higher proof (180) back in the 80s. Maybe it’s a regional thing. Around here we called it grain punch and had grain parties. My wife knew it as PGA punch. You could always tell who had the party the night before by all of the red Solo cups littering that block.

#8210 1 year ago

I never tried Ripple, but in 9th grade one of my friends lifted a bottle of this from Safeway. It was warm, too. Never again.

47BC4E3C-96B4-4574-82C4-3787BCBE1576 (resized).png47BC4E3C-96B4-4574-82C4-3787BCBE1576 (resized).png

#8217 1 year ago

Growing up in a town with the Navy’s east coast master jet base, the air show was an annual ritual for me growing up. NAS Oceana has the show going on this weekend. My wife and I were treated to the Blue Angels this afternoon while having a late lunch at a nearby brewery.

#8223 1 year ago

Some time ago I introduced my granddaughter to the joys of balsa flyers. (I'll let her discover how fun it can be to blow them up on her own.)

balsa planes (resized).pngbalsa planes (resized).png

2 weeks later
#8260 1 year ago
Quoted from mooch:

Did you have any favorite beach towels when you were a kid? Mine was one that said “Put a Tiger in your Tank.”
I also had a Popsicle towel that was a mail-in offer from a Popsicle wrapper.
And a Peter Max towel.

I had a Hang Ten beach towel that I thought was pretty cool.

Hang Ten Towel (resized).pngHang Ten Towel (resized).png

2 weeks later
#8296 1 year ago

I don't think I ever had Jiffy Pop. This was the Sears popcorn maker I grew up with. It's a little worse for wear, though. I pulled it out of cold storage for a quick pic. Put in some kernels and a little oil and you were set (unless you let it go too long). Then flop it over and the top is your serving bowl. Add a little salt and lots of melted Land O' Lakes!

Sears popcorn 1 (resized).pngSears popcorn 1 (resized).png

Sears popcorn 2 (resized).pngSears popcorn 2 (resized).png

2 weeks later
#8384 1 year ago

I don't recall anyone having mentioned common playing cards as a favorite, but I spent countless hours playing! From Go Fish, War, Rummy, Spades, Hearts, all the way to Seven Card Stud (and let's not forget building a house of cards). Cards offered limitless entertainment options. Here are a few unopened, NOS decks I have floating around the house, along with some of my Dad's bakelite poker chips from the '50s.

Old Cards and Chips (resized).pngOld Cards and Chips (resized).png

2 weeks later
#8449 1 year ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

What was your favorite TV Season?

Favorite season? Well, it would have to be during the Carol Burnett Show run, so 67-78. All in the Family ran 71 to 79. Soap 77-81. The window closes quickly. NBC’s Saturday Night 75-77. I’m going with 1977. Here’s the whole lineup. Prove me wrong. Seriously, check this link for all the returning and new shows for 77. There was a lot of good programming.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1977%E2%80%9378_United_States_network_television_schedule#By_network

3 weeks later
#8555 1 year ago
Quoted from RichWolfson:

Thanks but unfortunately Industrial Arts will never be back in public high schools. Some private schools have MakerSpaces and some even have great teachers. But those days will never return to the detriment of our children.
///Rich

Perhaps, but the public school Vo-Tech I attended decades ago is still going strong. They still offer all of the following, but I am sorry to see that the Advertising Design/Graphic Design program that I attended is no longer offered. It looks like the Drafting and Computer Science classes are gone, too.

Air Conditioning, Refrigeration, and Heating (HVAC)
Auto Body and Paint Technology
Automotive Service Technology
Carpentry
Construction Technology
Cosmetology
Culinary Arts
Dental Assisting
Early Childhood Education
Electricity
Electronics/Robotics
Landscape Design and Management
Legal Systems Administration
Licensed Practical Nursing
Masonry
Medical Systems Administration
Outdoor Power Equipment
Pharmacy Technician
Plumbing and Heating
Public Safety
Television Communications and Production
Turf Management
Welding

#8587 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Daisy C02 Pistol and I Still have it

Your Daisy reminds me a lot of my old Colt Woodsman .22 Long Rifle. It's loads of fun to shoot.

Colt Woodsman (resized).pngColt Woodsman (resized).png

#8590 1 year ago

To be fair, the Colt is a real gun, just very small caliber.

#8591 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Both of those guns look real enough that the cops would freak out .

Both were discontinued in the ‘70s, so I think we are largely safe there. These were target pistols.

2 weeks later
#8666 1 year ago
Quoted from starfighter:

Saturday
Dad
Trimmer
NO 3in1 Oil !!
[quoted image]

I remember those well!

My dad laid out a putting green at the top of an elevated bank in our back yard when I was 10 or 11. It was Zoysia grass. I had to use one of these antique rotary mowers with the roller on the back to mow it. Worse, he made me manually mow the fescue lawn around the green with the manual mower, too. The rest of the lawn I handled with an old Craftsman gas powered push mower.

Manual rotary mower.jpg (resized).jpegManual rotary mower.jpg (resized).jpeg

4 weeks later
#8729 1 year ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

You really want, MY answer?
Here is my current reading!

Hey Art,

I believe that is an excerpt from a larger work, "The Gnostics and Their Remains, Ancient and Medieval" by Charles William King. Published in 1864.

https://books.google.com/books/about/The_Gnostics_and_Their_Remains_Ancient_a.html?id=hKoTAAAAYAAJ

#8783 1 year ago

I’d have to drive all the way up to Maryland to eat at the closest A&W, but we have Dairy Queens in spades. There are 12 inside the city limits alone. I’ve been to a KFC and Pizza Hut combo. It was in Arkansas I think. I haven’t seen an Arthur Treacher’s in years, but Long John Silver’s is still around here.

#8797 1 year ago

We have Subway, Firehouse, and Jersey Mike’s, but I never eat at any of them. We have a local sub shop chain called Zero’s. The original was in an old cottage at the oceanfront. They have been around since ‘67. Their toasted meatball sub is a work of culinary greatness.

245DCEEF-7D20-42B3-9C5F-F7D8EEDD6810 (resized).jpeg245DCEEF-7D20-42B3-9C5F-F7D8EEDD6810 (resized).jpeg

1 month later
#8917 1 year ago

He was one of the greats! RIP Al.

Al Jaffee (resized).pngAl Jaffee (resized).png

1 week later
#8988 12 months ago

Because of the ‘teacher in space’ angle, just about every classroom in the U.S. had the Challenger launch and subsequent disaster live on TV in the classroom. I know my government class did, and my high school did not have cable. Maybe it was PBS or some sort of educational broadcast, but it wasn’t CNN.

1 week later
#9028 11 months ago

My parents had a late 50s or early 60s Renault shipped back home when they came back to the States from French Morocco. (My father was stationed in Rabat.) They had gone to North Africa with a '55 Chevy Bel Air, but had a very hard time getting parts or service there. It was before my time, but they used to love to tell the story of when a wheel fell off of the Renault while my dad was driving to base back in Virginia.

#9029 11 months ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

[quoted image]

I Dungeon Mastered “Tomb of Horrors” multiple times, but only in a tournament or one-off adventure scenario. It just didn’t seem fair to inflict it on hard won upper level campaign characters. I never had a party survive. I still have the original ‘78 print run of that module.

1 month later
#9153 10 months ago

This falls into the youthful memory category. I grew up in a beach town. The resort area was 40+ blocks of mostly hotels backing up to the boardwalk and the beach. Most of them had pools. From age 8 to 13 or so, we had a sport we called pool hopping. Dropped off at the beach for the day, we entertained ourselves by sneaking in to swim in these hotel pools (and sometimes chatting up tourist girls). You would occasionally get questioned by a lifeguard or staff member. If you had real grit you would just say you were in room number 314 or some such, otherwise you just ran.

Nowadays all of those pools are behind keycard access gates. I’m sorry for the current batch of beach rats.

#9156 10 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Which one of these TV memories resonates with you?
1) Ring around the collar.
2) Only you can prevent forest fires.
3) Watch out for the other guy
4) Us Tareyton smokers would rather fight than switch
5) I'd walk a mile for a Camel
6) Ladies, please don't squeeze the Charmin
7) Heinz loses.
8 ) I wish I was an Oscar Meyer Weiner
9) White Cloud. It doesn't feel like toilet paper.
10) Brylcreem, a little dab will do ya.
11) Pennzoil. The "ask for" motor oil

I didn't immediately recognize 3, 4, or 7. I remembered the Tareyton ad as soon as I searched it. What was the Heinz one, a taste test?

1 month later
#9261 9 months ago
Quoted from FabiStar:

I had a few Polly Pockets. Loved them all
[quoted image]

Welcome to the site! What era are those? I've never seen them before.

#9263 9 months ago

Thanks for the info LTG. My daughter would have been the target market at that time, but they were never on my radar.

2 weeks later
#9295 8 months ago

I remember Omni. I subscribed to both Analog and Issac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine (not my photos).

Analog (resized).pngAnalog (resized).png

Isaac Asimovs (resized).jpgIsaac Asimovs (resized).jpg

1 month later
#9382 7 months ago

My father-in-law got these cups in Okinawa in the 50s. When dry, they look ordinary. When a liquid is poured in they reveal a pinup.

Dirty Cups (resized).pngDirty Cups (resized).png

1 week later
#9407 7 months ago

The kid across the court who was a couple of years younger than I got the Green Machine when they first came out. With just my OG Big Wheel, I was pretty jealous at first, but then I got my first bike a couple of months later.

IMG_0168 (resized).jpegIMG_0168 (resized).jpeg

#9416 6 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Now, we realize they were company slaves

Quoted from DCP:

and recognized it as a "trap"

So true! My first couple of cell phones in the early-mid 90s were company phones. They were so I could provide 24/7 tech support to our “premium” clients. I hated when those things would ring.

#9422 6 months ago

1 month later
#9478 5 months ago

For me it was Hush Puppies:

hush-puppies-davenport-high-heri-wallabee-lace-up-ankle-boots-tan-suede-p768-24309_image-2988425552 (resized).jpeghush-puppies-davenport-high-heri-wallabee-lace-up-ankle-boots-tan-suede-p768-24309_image-2988425552 (resized).jpeg

I got my first pair of Vans at the Navy Exchange rather than at a surf shop. They didn't offer the checkered version yet, so we would use a marker to checker the rubber soles. I remember doing zebra stripes on one pair. DIY!

1 week later
#9513 5 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

For you young ones hanging out here, here is a picture of a silver dollar vs. quarter

I remember the Morgans and the Eisenhower silver dollars. I Don't think I've ever seen one of those. Is it real silver?

#9514 5 months ago

As a tangent, I like how when you go to Monticello and pay for admission, they give you a freshly printed $2 bill as part of your change. I imagine that many don't know that there is such a denomination.

US_$2_bill_obverse_series_2003_A (resized).jpgUS_$2_bill_obverse_series_2003_A (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#9582 4 months ago

I haven’t thought of Best Products in years. We had one nearby in town, too. Thanks for the reminder! Didn’t you need a membership to buy there?

1 month later
#9606 3 months ago

@Azmodeus, you have mentioned liking the old Warren comics and other pre-code, no-code horror books. I've been skinning the back of my iPads with the covers of Warren books from my collection for years. There are others, but this gives the general idea.

Warren iPad Skins (resized).pngWarren iPad Skins (resized).png

#9607 3 months ago

I'm sure almost everybody remembers these little green plastic army men from the 50s-70s. In the 70s I also had a huge collection of smaller plastic soldiers. They were about a third of the size of these, but used far superior molding, and were very accurate. You bought them as whole companies. I remember I had Patton's Third Army, some German and Japanese units, etc. Because they were so much smaller, there were lots of options for military vehicles, artillery, and more. I have been trying to track down the company info. Anybody have any leads?

Green Army Men (resized).pngGreen Army Men (resized).png

#9610 3 months ago

My friends and I would set them up in an order of battle on either side of the room, and then start shooting each other's men with rubber band guns we had fashioned. As I'm sure you can imagine, we ended up shooting each other as much as the soldiers.

#9612 3 months ago
Quoted from BudManPinFan:

That’s awesome, I love the Apple logo in the middle of Drac’s forehead! So do you take a scanned image and print it onto some type of sticker paper?

I scan my comic covers, clean up and resize them for the target size iPad in Photoshop, and then upload them to Skinit. They print it on 3M wrap and send me the final product. By default, they die cut the Apple logo. I usually leave it covered, but during application on that one, a corner of the logo lifted. I got lucky that it looked good that way. It’s like $35 to print custom skins.

#9620 3 months ago

He may have belonged on the short bus.

Short Bus (resized).jpgShort Bus (resized).jpg

#9630 3 months ago

I was in the "walk zone" for both elementary and high schools, but did ride the bus for Jr. High (8th and 9th for me).

There was a time I had taken a starter pistol to school for use in a skit in an English class. It looked just like a .22 revolver, but had an obstructed barrel. At the end of the day I got on the bus, but a friend asked to check out the gun. He discharged it on the bus before we had even left school grounds. The driver freaked out. I admitted to owning the pistol, but refused to rat out my friend. The bus driver would not leave the school until I did. We sat there on the bus for close to an hour. Finally, my friend admitted to it. The driver then proceeded on his route, and gave me back the starter pistol when I got off the bus at my stop.

That was it. No report, no suspension, no expulsion. Can you imagine what that scenario would look like today? The SWAT team with M16s will have surrounded the bus, and I'd still be behind bars.

#9638 3 months ago

Your Peruvian bus trip somewhat reminds me of my ascent up Sliabh Liag (Slieve League) in Donegal Ireland. They are the highest sea cliffs in Europe. The narrow road up to a staging area is a more of a path that hugs the cliff on the right and a sheer drop on the left, no guard rails. There are constant cutbacks, and often you are looking out over the sea wondering if there is even a road past that rise you are climbing.

Now, I was not in a bus, but in a purple rented Corolla. Also, keep in mind, the Irish drive on the left, so you are on the cliff edge the whole ascent. The path is not really wide enough for two way traffic, and it was foggy as hell that day. Lucky me, I came across another car driving down. I had to put it in reverse, hugging the cliff edge until we got to slighter wider section where he could pass. (With a manual transmission no less).

I didn't get too many decent photos that trip. Not just the fog, but white, shaky knuckles, too. This was from the staging area. You proceed on foot from there.

IMG_0020 (resized).JPGIMG_0020 (resized).JPG

#9640 3 months ago

I prefer buses of the Rat Fink variety.

IMG_0172 (resized).jpegIMG_0172 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#9680 87 days ago

While not vintage, I'll let these stand in as proxy for all of the packs I blew through in the '70s looking for a Catfish Hunter card.

The 2023 Braves, inarguably the best team in baseball - until the postseason, sheesh!The 2023 Braves, inarguably the best team in baseball - until the postseason, sheesh!

#9683 87 days ago

Can you imagine telling your younger self that in the not too distant future you will be modeling and printing toys right from the workbench in your own garage?

3d (resized).png3d (resized).png

#9685 86 days ago

I almost put a shoutout to Creepy Crawlers in my post. Thanks for mentioning the precursors.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zombywoof.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-were-your-favorite-childhood-toys?tu=zombywoof and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.