D6F237B1-E74C-495E-9E73-76F99A27FC9F (resized).jpeg
9A6C381A-EA07-4FD1-A0C8-88387BD89C0B.jpeg
979774F7-9C3A-4E85-AA6B-7E911B9B6C52.jpeg
E601335F-50B4-4629-8B36-7F27E97925EB (resized).jpeg
members-only (resized).jpg
wlvr (resized).png
2ECC8B19-08C7-4D2C-A05C-54359026B079 (resized).jpeg
Vintage-The-Loop-Radio-Lot-Wlup-979-Mancow (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#35 5 years ago

lincoln_logs_(resized).jpg

pick-up-sticks_(resized).jpg

girder+panel_(resized).jpg

SwitchNGoBox_(resized).jpg

slot_cars_1965_(resized).jpg

#44 5 years ago

Forgot about this, as a younger kid, this was probably #1

marbles_(resized).jpg

#116 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Jarts were sold from the 1950's through the 1980's
A pretty successful run for any toy.

29772925_maomj-M_(resized).jpg

David Snow took care of those, due to a tragic circumstance unfortunately.

#245 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Of course.
How else would we play Cowboys and Indians in the 70's.

Well, in the 60s, yes. Every kid had them, and we spent hours upon hours playing with them, shooting at each other. Seems somehow inappropriate nowadays. We had cap guns, we had toy guns, we had rubber band shooting guns, and of course we had BB guns. Can anyone remember that toy machine gun where you would pull back on a lever and then you could shoot off a load at full auto (sound only)?

And yes those cap bombs too, those things were cool. I'm gonna guess that the paper caps you buy today are crap compared to what we had in the day.

#328 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

My three favorite toys!
Great Garloo
Robot Commando
King Zor
...I get together with my brother every 15 years or so to celebrate that magic Christmas when i got my Great Garloo!
(I like Ray Guys too!)

king_zor_(resized).jpgrobot_Commando_(resized).jpgTed_&_Don_&_Garloo_3_Combo_(resized).jpgted_ray_guns_(resized).jpg

Dang that's right, definitely had the Robot Commando. Used to set up armies of the green army men and then launch the rocket from his head into them.

Man those were the days.

ClintGet-off-my-lawn_toys_(resized).jpg

#512 5 years ago

Another game of skill...been around forever

labyrinth_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#685 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

This is not a childhood toy, but after see some of you post pics of your made trains it got me to thinking about the model airplane airport in Germany and I think all you toy lovers would be jazzed by this link and the video in it. There are several videos on youtube about this place if you want to see how they did it.
http://singularityhub.com/2011/05/11/worlds-largest-model-airport-completed-in-hamburg-germany-150-square-meters-costing-4-8-million/
Now, so I can say this post was about toys, I spent a lot of dimes and quarters on these balsa wood gliders. They didn't last long. They were cheap. And I bought a lot of them.
c5c27f8ba9864357b87cae6f8c4e33ba_(resized).jpg

I went and visited Miniature Wunderland and saw it. It just defies description and the imagination. Here is a photo I took of the other side of the airport.

MW_airport_taxis_(resized).jpg

This is the control center where they monitor all of the trains.

MW_controlcenter_(resized).jpg

4 weeks later
#780 5 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Tons of Matchboxes....

But do you still have them? Mine are all gone along with all the other stuff in this thread, and don't even think about the comics I had. I don't know how many times I have said this to my poor Mom over the years.

toys_(resized).jpg

5 months later
#848 4 years ago

You had a stick? You were lucky. We used to DREAM of having a stick to play with.

1 month later
#876 4 years ago

Omg that skittle bowl, I totally forgot about that. We spent endless hours playing with that thing.

1 month later
#1012 4 years ago
Quoted from Chum43:

Loved anything glow in the dark !!!

Plasti-Goop Glow (resized).jpg

#1062 4 years ago
Quoted from Newport-Bill:

All those water based toys got me remembering my Kenner Power Sub. Played for hours on end with it in my uncle's pool and remembering him always bitching how I was going to throw the pH off.

Good one!

Another one I totally forgot about, but as soon as I saw it, it was like "oh yeah". Same thing, we played with it for hours in the pool.

7 months later
#1242 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Who needed store bought toys.....we had big cardboard boxs.

You had a cardboard box? You were lucky!

865C6546-54B9-405C-8703-C5F0B5F82D0E-306-000000310DC9122A (resized).jpeg

4 months later
#1318 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

So how many people, as kids, shot a arrow up in the air and then rand for it. Stupid yes, but it was fun. Also when I was a kid we never thought about seat belts. I rode on the arm rest that folded down in the front seat and when I was too big for that I would often ride up in the back deck lid. Every time the driver slammed on the breaks I would fly down and hit the back of the front seat. Good times.

Snowballs made with a rock in the middle and then put into the freezer....

4 months later
1 year later
#1572 1 year ago

Of course all my toys from the 60s are gone. All the cool stuff in this thread. I don't even want to think about some of the comic books we had. But to redeem myself, we have saved everything from our millennial offspring. Stored away in the attic is an entire childhood's worth of toys from the 90s, most of it coming from spoiling grandparents. I haven't seen it all in so long I barely know what is up there, but for sure all sorts of Power Rangers, Megadroids or whatever they were called, a huge Thomas the Train collection, tons of Bionicles, hundreds of Hot Wheels cars, and just massive amounts of Lego, including an entire Harry Potter train set, tons of Star Wards stuff, pirates, and who knows how much more. I won't sell it out from under the poor kid, like MY MOM DID TO ME!

1 week later
#1604 1 year ago
Quoted from gatordad:

Tube socks really need to make a comeback !!!

amazon.com link »

2 weeks later
#1651 1 year ago

“ started buying some action figures” lol

I think you bought them all.

1 week later
#1676 1 year ago

Old family photos have been rolling in for scanning projects. Here are some real-deal toys from the early 60s, not sure what some of them even are. I remember the sled that's for sure, spent half a lifetime on that thing. Not much resolution in these tiny old pics of course so you can't zoom in much to see what's what.

1960s Christmas tree presents (resized).jpg

1963 Christmas presents (resized).jpg

#1681 1 year ago
Quoted from jhanley:

Because it was made of Lead.

Dang, you're right. I learned something new today. No wonder my brain is so messed up!

#1684 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You weren't supposed to eat the shit It was to hang ON the tree.

Oh. Dammit now you tell me. Well, at least breaking open glass thermometers and playing around with the mercury was OK to do

#1686 1 year ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

This I love.
Please post whatever else you may have.

There's probably a lot more, but I have a stack to get to for the scanning project and its taking some time.

Here's another one, its me with this one, but I can't remember this toy at all. Pretty darn cool-looking though. This should be 1964 or 1965,

Christmas remote control guns (resized).jpg

#1693 1 year ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Thanks. Your pictures really look like the kind of Christmas i would have killed for when I was a kid. Those toys are awesome.

When I look back and think back of being a kid, I am amazed actually. I was the oldest, but eventually there were 4 of us, and my parents had next to nothing I can assure you. My dad was an airman in the USAF and the pay was probably about $20 a week back then or something. I don't know how they did it, but we always seemed OK and we always had a great Christmas as far as I remember.

Here is one from 1958 (3 yrs old for me). Another gun (plenty of guns back then LOL), cool-looking rocket, Roy Rogers outfit, cool truck. Some sort of blocks. I can't make out what the flat thing on the left is.

1958 Christmas (resized).jpg
#1750 1 year ago

There is a nicely made website called wishbookweb that is compiling scans of the old Sears wish book catalogs. The scan quality is very good. It’s interesting to look through the old stuff and the pages are packed with pictures of the old toys.

http://www.wishbookweb.com/the-catalogs/

3 weeks later
#1765 1 year ago

I love me a nice cool swimming pool on a hot summer day, nothing like it, it’s the best.

When it’s at someone else’s house.

1 month later
#1781 1 year ago
Quoted from sohchx:

A few posts back I mentioned my love for Galoob Micro Machines and collecting them. Last year a company called Wicked Cool Toyz announced that they would be bringing the line back for 2020. Right from the beginning I knew that their attempt would be a failure and I was right. Less detail than the originals, larger size, larger wheels, no licensed makes or models, and a ridiculous price tag on every piece. I'll continue to stick with collecting the originals.

Sometimes I get depressed, seems like pretty much everything made these days sucks.

1 month later
#1786 1 year ago

Been working on the scanning project again. Here is another photo from Christmas 1964. I remember this robot so well, I had a blast playing with it. I found it on the internet here:

http://www.theoldrobots.com/Commando.html

There is an ad on that website showing the price to be $23. I asked my Mom how on earth they could afford that then (that's almost $200 in today money), turns out my aunt worked at a department store so they got it for an employee discount.
1964 xmas Robot Commando (resized).jpg

We lived in Maine then so that snow saucer saw plenty of use.

4 months later
#2051 1 year ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I have a great time on this website here if you haven't seen it. Plaids stallions.com
Toys, right from my exact eras. Includes department store flyers.
http://www.plaidstallions.com

That’s a great website. I need one for the 60s though. None of those toys registers with me at all. In the 70s I migrated from all that stuff and became obsessed with an entirely new field of fun things to play with. The living, breathing, curvy kind...

#2053 1 year ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Swing Wing 1965. Today, we medicate these kids.
[quoted image]

newstead (resized).jpg

4 weeks later
#2115 1 year ago

Wow that Frogger watch is cool! I have never seen anything like it.

Check this out, asking $200 for one that doesn't even work!

ebay.com link: RARE VINTAGE FROGGER GAME WATCH NELSONIC VIDEO ARCADE SEGA

1 month later
#2414 1 year ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Not quite a toy but more of a memory here. My one story elementary school had a flat roof and many many types of balls would get stuck up there. That is where the term “roofed” came from on the playground. Roofing the ball was a quick way to end a fun game. Every now and then the Janitor would go up on the roof and throw down a ton of baseballs, kick balls, rubber balls and whatever else down to us kids during recess. Tons of stuff made its way up there and came down for free to whom ever was able to grab it first.
[quoted image]

Somewhere along the way of 3rd and 4th grade, the teacher had this big glass jar on her desk, which started the school year empty. The rule was, no marbles were ever allowed to appear during class. Ok, you could have them in your pockets for recess access, but they had to stay there out of sight. If a marble showed up in any way, including dropping on the floor by accident or even in your hand for an instant, you had to give it up and into the jar it went.

Being the idiots we were, by the end of the school year that big jar was packed full. It was pretty much everyone at one point or another, you just couldn’t resist getting a marble out, and off it would go. Whoever f-ed up on any given day and lost a marble this way would get made fun of on the playground. Then, sure enough, the very ones who were making fun would botch it the next day, much to the mirth of everyone. I’ll never forget, even to this day, when one kid showed up with a big puree header (I think some geographies called the big ones boulders, but we called them headers). It was a big beautiful clear work of art that was rarely seen, and everyone was envious as he showed it off on the playground. And, we all reminded him, multiple times, to not let it out in class. Well, sure enough, right in the middle of class, there was a big clunk and the sound of a large object rolling across the floor. We all gasped, thinking, no, he didn’t. Well, he did. What a laugh we got out of that. I think the poor kid was pretty sad, so maybe we even felt guilty for making fun of him. But probably not.

On the very last day of class, the teacher took that jar up to a second story window, and with all of us gathered on the grass below, dumped that entire jar of marbles down onto us, where we had a mad scramble to grab what you could. What a memory. I can’t imagine any kids today having that much fun. What are they gonna do, play with an app?

#2429 1 year ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Those were so much better!
Before that, These Balsa Wood Flyers were lucky to make it to the end of the day![quoted image]

Yeah, but they were cheap, and man, we got so much mileage out of those things. Played with them for hours. Flight contests were always going on. You had to wind that rubber band into a triple-full wind at least, until it just became a gobbed-up blob, then let 'er fly.

#2489 12 months ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Jarts were made illegal as part of the pussification of americas kids years ago.
Some kid took one in the head and that was that.
My brother and I used to play dodge the jart and throw them at each other... ah the good old days.

There's a pretty sad backstory behind that. Hard not feel bad for the dad of that little girl that was killed.

1 week later
#2557 11 months ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

When I was about 8 years old a neighbor who was now about 16 gave me a brown paper bag full of these models. He was too old now.
Years later I discovered this book. My point. I like books.
And also I can easily put the book on my shelf. I get great joy just looking through this book and this post.
[quoted image]

Thanks, first time I saw this. Just ordered this from Amazon, looking forward to reading it!

1 week later
#2600 11 months ago
Quoted from onemoresean:

Not a toy, but I’ve always enjoyed some s’mores around a fire.
I found this stainless washing machine barrel and chair in a clean up pile on the side of the road.
I made it shine with some mothers polish.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Cool, love the fire pit idea.

The view from the yard with the palm trees looks exactly the same as any generic yard down here in SoCal. Maybe we aren’t so different after all

#2603 11 months ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I still have my Aurora HO slot cars (and a big box full of track sections). Haven't played with them in decades.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Oh man, wow. That is just absolutely awesome. I took a quick look at ebay, I think just the cars alone in those pics are worth well over $1.000.

#2606 11 months ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I have been collecting things on and off for my whole life.
I used Want to own the stuff And hoard it.
Mine!
But I have changed over time. I like to sell too I have found.
Sell when high. Of course
Make sure it is not something you can’t part with.
But I personally can part with a lot.

I know what you mean. Funny thing is, that whole boomer gen is now looking back and a lot of them want to get their hands on all that stuff they have fond childhood memories of. I just finished reading that Aurora Modeling book and they discuss this in there, and the recent resurgence of a lot of that stuff with Polar Lights and others.

1 week later
#2701 11 months ago

Some time ago I bought one of those DVD sets with all the Mad magazines, and I have been gradually going through them as I have time. I started with the first issue in 1952, and I'm just now hitting the 60s. I am thinking sometime around the mid 60s I should start recognizing some of the stuff from way back, as that is probably the time frame when I started reading them.

The early stuff is different than what it became in the later years, but as always there is lots of crazy stuff in there. From 1953:

pinball Mad Dec Jan 1953 Frank N Stein (resized).jpg

1 week later
#2811 11 months ago
Quoted from BagAJellyDonuts:

Was just sorting through the basement junk and I'll admit it, got into slot racing. Ran wing cars at local track. Grew up when the slot car craze hit in the 60s. These were just taken to the stupid level.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Yeah, I don't remember them going quite this fast when we played with them in the 60s. (go past 1 minute mark to see cars going).

#2831 10 months ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

We must be lost twins, Mooch....You keep posting all the same toys I had! That Cassette Player was
the exact one I had...68-9. I still have the audio tapes. Scooby Doo, Elvis, Dinner table conversations!!
The coins were a great give away! One would think with all the Cheap Imports, someone in the last few years would have created a free promotion to collect with prizes.
The coins kicked ass on the steak knives from shell!
[quoted image]
We filled our drawer when we followed all these Pedro Signs[quoted image]

Those were literally our steak knives for my entire childhood as far as I can remember. I see now, the price was right. We didn’t have a lot of money.

#2906 10 months ago

Having grown up in northern climes I could ice skate like a bitch. But I never could figure out how to roller skate. I think I tried it literally one time. I could not figure out how to turn, and ended up going in a straight line while desperately trying to turn and body slamming a random girl into the wall. She was not happy.

3 weeks later
#3260 10 months ago
Quoted from mooch:

Can you remember your very first non-kiddie Rock-n-Roll record that you chose on your own to buy at the store? Mine was a Beatles 45: “All You Need Is Love.” (1967)
[quoted image]

Yes, this one.

59802ADD-4941-4508-B724-AF67EC7C8A4A (resized).png

1 week later
#3436 9 months ago

My Mom saved some of my drawings and stuff, speaking of warped mind, here is one I did in 1961, 6 years old. Still working on achieving the dream. (EDIT I checked my scans, I do have a lot of pics I drew in 1961 but this one is not dated, I think this was done a few years later based on the drawing style).

Drawing Man With Money (resized).jpg

1 month later
#4116 8 months ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

I haven't played any of those variants. Looks challenging. I did have a tri-dimensional chess set like Mr. Spock's:
[quoted image]

Of course I remember that 3D chess set well. But after looking at this posted pic, it really struck me how cheesy that thing looks. The chess pieces look like they came from $2 plastic chess set, and the rest of it looks so rickety it would fall apart in a few plays. The prop department spared no expense on that one!

#4172 8 months ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I was a big Rowdy Roddy Piper fan. Man that guy could make me laugh. Funniest bad guy ever.

He was the best. Macho Man was pretty good too.

Time to do a rewatch of They Live.
0A402DEB-DF22-40D3-BFA2-2F3B32740553 (resized).jpeg

#4267 7 months ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Warning, those are NOT gumballs![quoted image]

Gumballs, No. Jawbreakers, Yes.

#4268 7 months ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

Anybody remember a baseball trivia game you played over a pay phone?
If you answered 3 questions correctly I believe they would send you tickets you used towards official MLB prizes. I remember spending a summer with my friends winning a shit load of tickets. I believe it was a 1-900 number and some how we discovered a “glitch” that the questions would eventually repeat and we never had to pay a dime for any call to the service. It’s a vague memory so I could be talking out my ass : ) but I do remember winning 3 satin starter jackets, a few MLB helmets and other official baseball swag.
Wish I could remember more of how the process worked or should I say how we worked the process?
Can’t find any info on this on Google.
I know this was a thing cause I still have my too small but much loved Cardinal jacket in my closet.
[quoted image]
Please help 1 900 TOY-SIDE

You mean you didn't use this to hack the phone?

1920px-Cap’n_Crunch,_Spielzeugpfeife_(2600_Hz) (resized).jpg

#4272 7 months ago

Memory triggered: Remember the very first cable boxes, say in the very early 80s? You had to pay to unscramble the juicy stuff like Cinemax (famously known then as Skinemax). There would still be a picture on that channel, it would just be made all wavy and distorted so you couldn't watch it. But you could kinda make out some things sometimes. If you watched long enough, you could catch a glimpse of some naked women.

OK its lame, but we didn't have the internet then.

#4279 7 months ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

[quoted image]

Hahaha awesome picture, that's exactly what it looked like!!

2 weeks later
#4472 7 months ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]

51E2DB9D-6E9E-4023-AB10-6427CEED9BB4 (resized).jpeg

1 month later
#5111 5 months ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Think if Blazing Saddles came out today,!
I think every view would be insulted! [quoted image]

In many ways, my belief is that Blazing Saddles is at the very, very top of a list of the best movies ever made, not just comedy movies, any movies. From beginning to end, it manages to be endlessly funny and at the same time create a major statement about American society. Its really almost unbelievable. The stories behind it are amazing.

And, for those that didn't know about the TV show, look up Black Bart. Another thing with a crazy back story.

4 months later
#6359 33 days ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

Anybody else waste maybe a little too much time labeling your cassette tapes?
[quoted image]

I didn’t get that fancy, I used one of those black/white label maker things to label them. But I spent way more time making cassettes from LPs so I could play them from the car than I care to admit to. I had dozens of them, maybe even a hundred or more, all stashed away in alphabetical order in those cheap carrying cases. If you told me then that one day I would have a microSD card the size of my fingernail with 10,000+ songs on it, I would have scoffed you big time.

CA2D67A8-4486-41C5-A212-6515719DBE56 (resized).jpeg

3 weeks later
#6473 12 days ago

Was it National Lumber that used to mail out the Dogalog?

It had a dog mascot on the inside. That's why it couldn't be called a catalog. Cause he hated cats. So they called it their Dogalog.

#6527 6 days ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Southern California had (or still has) its share:
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That oh so short time period when we had all of those was great. They were all good but I liked KNAC best. And the Mighty 690, wow I forgot about that one, they were huge. As I recall it they always had cool call-in contests going. Were they the one that had a contest where they would play an extremely short, tiny, blip from a song, and people would call in and try to identify it?

#6532 5 days ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I never had one of those jackets.
I must have been left out of the loop.

LOL good one. But, did you have one of these? I always remember, I had one, and one night I took it off in a strip bar then forgot about it and left it there. My wife was always like "hey what happened to your nice Member's Only jacket?" and I was like "I don't know, I think I left it somewhere by accident. But I can't remember where".

members-only (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside